Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,998 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement (22587 Views)

Did Governor Wike Really Make This Statement? If He Did, It's Time To Order / If Barack Obama Make This Statement, He Will Be Impeached The Next Day!! / Press Statement By Buhari, GCFR, On The School Certificate Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by tpia5: 1:06am On Nov 30, 2011
^^really.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ezeagu(m): 1:08am On Nov 30, 2011
Really.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by tpia5: 1:17am On Nov 30, 2011
^^when are we going to see your photo so i can tell you if you likely have some non-nigerian or non-black relatives somewhere.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ak47mann(m): 1:35am On Nov 30, 2011
this akan guy na mumu cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ektbear: 7:53am On Nov 30, 2011
ola_pluto:

Mister Ikpa knew even more: "Adekunle does not like journalists. He had a man from England who disagreed with him shaved bald, do an hour of push-ups, and write one-thousand times: I am a crappy Englishman and don’t have a say in Nigeria".

STERN: Are you racist?

ADEKUNLE: You should know exactly where racists are. There is no such thing as racism in Nigeria.

STERN: But why are you refusing to discuss this war with a European?

[size=18pt]ADEKUNLE: Let me tell you something: When the Russians surrounded Stalingrad did you request a land corridor from them so as to better feed your soldiers who were stuck in the pot there? Of course you didn’t and I can tell from your face that you think the thought of a land corridor to bring in food for the captured German soldiers in Stalingrad is a bad joke. Me too. Where and when, …………., was there a war in which the loser was re-nourished one more time before the final loss? Why are you just calling for a land corridor for Biafra? Why aren’t you calling for a land corridor for the Viet Kong? I have to declare: You Europeans are simply not competent![/size]

Hehe grin I am liking Adekunle more and more
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ektbear: 7:57am On Nov 30, 2011
ola_pluto:

I considered my selection for the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst to be an honour and a privilege. To my mind, Sandhurst was the best military institution in the World. Not all the Mons graduates were so privileged - for example, while Adegoke, Idiaja, and Chakuka and I was selected, Obasanjo was not. He finished at Mons and returned home.

In later years, I attributed some of the actions of my former course mates in the national arena, especially with regard to their colleagues, to the need to assuage feelings of inferiority which many have sprung from having been publicly adjudged and labeled inadequate in the midst of their cohorts.

Hrm. Interesting.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ektbear: 7:58am On Nov 30, 2011
When Adekunle dies, statues of him must be erected in every major town in Yorubaland.

I wish we had 1000s more of him.

He should be celebrated and lauded.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ACM10: 8:27am On Nov 30, 2011
^^^^
Truely, tribalism runs in the vein of every yorobaman. BTW,war is sweet if you are using your opponent as a target practice. But bitter if you are used as a target practice. Someday it will be the turn of another tribe to be invaded, with a drug addict leading the assault
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Kizilala: 9:14am On Nov 30, 2011
@poster,u are asking questions with obvious answers.He was a yoruba man and apart from their natural or unnatural hatred of Igbos,they are extremely tribalistic which is borne more out of their legendary ignorance and absolute stupidity.It's a pity that war criminal adekunle never faced the international criminal court for his crimes.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by hercules07: 9:17am On Nov 30, 2011
This Adekunle guy was a warrior and a man of his generation, what we need in the armed forces is more Adekunles with more Geneva Convention attitude in them.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ektbear: 9:37am On Nov 30, 2011
Obasanjo really seems to be a very lucky man, I must say.

It doesn't look like he was anywhere near the best soldier we had. He wasn't and isn't very popular politically.

Yet he has survived since the 60s and acheived more than what arguably greater men (Adekunle, Awolowo, etc) could not.

Random luck?

Or something just insidious about Nigeria which doesn't allow our best talent to rise to the top?

Or maybe I am underrating OBJ's innate talent, who knows.

hercules07:

This Adekunle guy was a warrior and a man of his generation, what we need in the armed forces is more Adekunles with more Geneva Convention attitude in them.

It really annoys me though that these Europeans (well, more accurately, the Allies) never seem to apply apply any of these Geneva Conventions to anyone but those they defeat in war, or people they don't like.

Read the text in bolded. Is there not something fundamentally hypocritical about this reporter Stern? The same exact thing they would never consider doing in any of their wars in Europe, this reporter is asking be done in Nigeria.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by hercules07: 10:55am On Nov 30, 2011
Geneva convention and war crimes tribunals are for the defeated, Gowon is not a man I like personally but, he was gracious in victory, lesser men would have wiped out easterners after the war.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ak47mann(m): 11:03am On Nov 30, 2011
hercules07:

Geneva convention and war crimes tribunals are for the defeated, Gowon is not a man I like personally but, he was gracious in victory, lesser men would have wiped out easterners after the war.
listen to ur self lesser men could have wipe out easterners after the war,they use ur head for rituals?hw is he going to wipe out easterners, Nigeria unfit soldiers cannot do that you don't have nuclear weapon,the war was sponsored by Britain and Russia so tell me will western world allow gowon to kill the whole easterners?that will be the end of Nigeria, if he tries and don't think half of your people will not be wiped out in the processed.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by joeyfire(m): 11:36am On Nov 30, 2011
adekunle made that statement because he was a drunk bigot.

no self respecting combatant makes that kind of statement to a press man but i guess TIA (this is africa). he was feeling like hannibal because he was equipped with all the arms he and his men could carry to fight hungry, poorly trained, biafran troops carrying rusty rifles loaded with 4 bullets each. nonsense, sandhurst my arse. if he faced an egyptian army i could understand. ppl here are fanning his arse because he is from their village and so on. shioor! thats why i stopped posting on this site. i'm out

1 Like

Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by kholis(m): 11:49am On Nov 30, 2011
Is it not a pleasant surprise the regeneration ability of the easterners?                                                                            

After all said and done; decimation of the working population, demolition of all meaningful structures, total degradation of the environment, economic strangulation, socio-political stifle and 20 pounds to start live with, the current level of development in the east (structures and living standard) surpasses that of many other parts of Nigeria that did not even experience the war. WHY?
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ak47mann(m): 12:00pm On Nov 30, 2011
kholis:

Is it not a pleasant surprise the regeneration ability of the easterners?                                                                            

After all said and done; decimation of the working population, demolition of all meaningful structures, total degradation of the environment, economic strangulation, socio-political stifle and 20 pounds to start live with, the current level of development in the east (structures and living standard) surpasses that of many other parts of Nigeria that did not even experience the war. WHY?
cos we are the chosen ones coolthink abt it.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ziga: 12:05pm On Nov 30, 2011
Truthfully, all of this talk might be unnecessary.

But unfortunately, i think i know why a lot of other ethnic groups on nairaland like to beat on Ibos.

It is because "you" like to beat your chest and claim to be the ONE in front of others, while they(others) can clearly see the weaknesses in you that we all have in common.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by kholis(m): 12:29pm On Nov 30, 2011
From every indication, the easterners need to respected. A peculiar set of people they are indeed. What do you think?
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by 73323026: 12:47pm On Nov 30, 2011
Iam really disappointed that people lose sight of the fact that the whole trouble was started by Ojukwu who then ran away as Adekunle approached.
Again when his manhood failed him and some small boys started to gbuala his wife he ran again.This time committing suicide.What a disgarce
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by olapluto(m): 2:33pm On Nov 30, 2011
A man that should be worshipped by all is now being laid into by the ignorant ones. Ojukwu was a brilliant man, but he failed the ultimate test. Major Adekunle really (to me) ended the war. If he had stayed longer, he would have led the reconstruction of Eastern Nigeria. He was such a man. If I ever have the chance, I will name a military barracks or post after this man.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Zab: 2:40pm On Nov 30, 2011
ETHNICITY IN ACTION ! ALL YOU GUYS PRAISING 'BLACK SCORPION' ARE NOTHING BUT COMPLETE FOOLS. WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE NOW ASKING FOR SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE.

"It would be naive, even dangerous, to assume that the political and economic problems that sired Biafra have disappeared or have been addressed. To paper over a problem is not the same thing as addressing it. Biafra, lest we forget, was a struggle for self-determination; it was also a struggle to redefine the character of the Nigerian state, who exercised power over the whole, to what extent, and for what purpose. Are the Ijo, Ikwerre, Ogoni and several other communities in the Niger Delta not continuing that struggle today? Are the Tiv, Jukun, Fulani, and Hausa presently slugging out in the Middle Belt not struggling to redefine the very basis of citizenship in the Nigerian state? Are not the millions who trudge the streets of Lagos and the nation's other urban sprawls in search of food not fighting for self-determination and demanding the right to work and a decent wage?
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Intrepid1(m): 2:48pm On Nov 30, 2011
This incompetent soldier opened his trap and bragged about how he intended to commit genocide in Biafra and his blood-thirsty employers and the oil-hungry West applauded his barely literate comments. Combatants are supposed to fight other combatants, or specific threats, not unarmed civilians and livestock! His ill-considered statements are a great disservice to the thousands of honourable commanders who have won great victories without murdering everything in sight. Incompetence!
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by ektbear: 2:52pm On Nov 30, 2011
[img]http://www.decalsusa.com/images/scorpion.GIF[/img]

Under this banner we shall conquer.

Long live the scorpion.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Zab: 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2011
COWARDS THAT COULD NOT EVEN STAND ON JUNE 12 ARE HERE CONGRATULATING THE SO CALLED BLACK SCORPION.

OF ALL YORUBA POLITICIANS , I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR ASIWAJU BOLA AHMED TINUBU. NOTE: NOT SAYING HE IS A SAINT BUT IS VOCAL. CALLS A SPADE A SPADE. EVERYDAY HE KEEPS ASKING FOR SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE TO ANSWER THE NIGERIA QUESTION.

I KNOW DEEP DOWN THAT YOU GUYS ARE NOT HAPPY WITH WHAT IS HAPPENING IN NIGERIA AS REGARDS SHARING OF THE NATIONAL CAKE . OBJ'S ACTION OF RELOCATING NPA HEADQUARTERS TO LAGOS SPEAKS ELOQUENTLY FOR MY STANDPOINT.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2011
Intrepid!:

This incompetent soldier opened his trap and bragged about how he intended to commit genocide in Biafra and his blood-thirsty employers and the oil-hungry West applauded his barely literate comments. Combatants are supposed to fight other combatants, or specific threats, not unarmed civilians and livestock! His ill-considered statements are a great disservice to the thousands of honourable commanders who have won great victories without murdering everything in sight. Incompetence!
War is about victory not glory.Biafara fought gloriously but failed woefully.Adekunle and obj brought the war to an end and any consequences that may have affected biafara was as a result of the declaration of the republic of biafara.war is not a training or video game,it's about death.Ibos killed nigerians likewise nigerian army killed ibos.so lick your wounds and quit bit-ching !
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Dede1(m): 3:04pm On Nov 30, 2011
@POST

Did these incoherent drivels from Benjamin Adekunle save his putrid mouth from being dismissed as incompetent field commander?
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 30, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

Did these incoherent drivels from Benjamin Adekunle save his putrid mouth from being dismissed as incompetent field commander?
It was a collective effort.I have always tell you that the war succeded because adekunle+Awolowo+Obasanjo are good at kicking asss.thankGod the flying bullets didnt hit your yansh grin
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Ajillo: 3:17pm On Nov 30, 2011
What will you say about the recent statement credited to General T.Y. Danjuma that late General Aguiyi Ironsi, who was killed as a military Head of State, was a useless man. What is your reaction?

You see, when I read Danjuma’s statement, I felt very sad about it. First, go and do your research and you will realise that what I am going to tell you is the truth. In the 2 Division, it was this Danjuma, then a Captain in the then Nigeria Army, who was responsible for organising the security of General Ironsi. It was his job. So, if Danjuma turns today and tells the world that he did not know about how Ironsi and Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi were killed in Ibadan, it will be a very big lie. If you want me to put it straight, it was because of the opposition of the unitary system declared by Ironsi that Danjuma organised his elimination along with Colonel Fajuyi in Ibadan. So, Danjuma cannot in all honesty deny that he was not the chief instigator of the killing. We were all living witness. I was in Lagos when the incident happened. So, I am not telling you a myth or what I did not know. It is this same group who killed Ironsi and Fajuyi in Ibadan that up till today are benefiting from the unitary system that Ironsi set up. Can you imagine. It is out of this same cabal too that the so-called Kaduna Mafia sprang up. I am not saying that it is all Northerners that wanted the total elimination of the Igbo during civil war period. But when we talk in terms of what Danjuma did, I know what I am saying. That is his character. It was just the way he killed Ironsi and Fajuyi that he betrayed the late General I.D. Bisala. He denied Bisala when Bisala needed him the most during the coup that killed Genral Murtala Mohammed. If he is a soldier, he should have stood his ground as the GOC of the 3 Division. But instead, he did not. Let me say that when we talk in terms of military courage and bravery, rank does not bestow courage on people. I like Danjuma. But he cannot deny the fact that he was the chief instigator of the murder of Ironsi and Fajuyi. History will continue to hold him responsible for that. When the war ended, he was the go between me and Bisala, especially in Enugu, when I was handing over Biafra to the federal side.

Are you saying you were the one that handed over Biafra to the federal side?
Yes.

But many believe that General Philip Effiong handed over Biafra to General Olusegun Obasanjo. Is that not correct?

No, it is a mistake that many people are not aware of up till today. I was the one who handed over Biafra to Obasanjo and Bisala. Effiong’s role was going to Lagos to meet General Yakubu Gowon with some of our Biafran officers. And also reading the script which I prepared. I planned it that they should start from 9a.m. announcing that we had sent emissaries to the war fronts to meet Nigerian commanders so that everybody should lay down their weapons. That speech that we prepared was given to Effiong to read because if I should do that, the Nigerian side will misinterpret it that possibly there was a coup in Biafra. So, to avoid that misinterpretation, we had to ask Effiong to read it. Because when Odumegwu-Ojukwu was leaving, he specifically told Effiong to represent him, while my job was to take care of the Army. I was the person in charge of the Biafran Armed Forces. So, I was the one that actually handed over Biafra and not Effiong. Again, when the war ended, I was very visible. For instance, all the documents that Danjuma said that Gowon requested that I should sign, I signed them all. These included when Danjuma said that Gown asked that I should prepare a document of what I would like to do. I did all that and part of that document was what later led to the establishment of PRODA in Enugu. I also reported at the Board of Inquiry headed by the then General Adeyinka Adebayo. There I was told that one of the reasons why I was being detained was for the protection of my life. But I asked them, ‘Protection against who?’ Well, they said that so many people were against me, especially the way I ended the war. So, for tempers to cool, according to them, I was kept in detention for seven years. But for me, I have always said that I don’t have any regrets over the war. Beside, I owe it as a moral duty to those whom I led through the war, especially with their situation today. They have not been compensated.

Many people have blamed Odumegwu-Ojukwu for the way Biafra was defeated. Secretary General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Ralph Uweche, recently said that Odumegwu-Ojukwu’s way of leadership was responsible for the collapse of Biafra. Do you agree with this?

Biafra was never defeated nor collapsed. It is not true that Biafra was defeated. That is what many do not know.

Are you saying that Biafra was not defeated by Nigeria?

Yes.

What explanation do you offer for this?

Yes, I will do. Let me tell you the truth. You journalists must always do your research properly to educate the public. You should also look into the choice of words. You see, I repeat it again: Biafra was not defeated. It was not the Biafran Army that was responsible for the war efforts during the conflict. The efforts were handled by civilian populace. The soldiers were recruited to defend the civilians. The arms were provided by the civilians. In the executive council of Biafra, there were only two military personnel: Odumegwu-Ojukwu as the Head of State and Effiong as the Officer-in-Charge of Defence. The rest were all civilians. Those civilians were the ones who, when Odumegwu-Ojukwu left to attend the crucial meeting in Liberia, came to me and requested that I should stop the war. Today, there are living witnesses to what I am telling you. These include former Enugu State Chief Judge, Justice P.K. Nwokedi. He was one of those who came with Sir Louis Mbanefo and others to request that I take steps to stop the fighting. Initially, I was against it. But then I was reminded and made to understand that it is not my personal war. So, as a soldier, I have to obey the orders and demands of the Biafran Executive Council to stop the war. Another living witness is Obasanjo.

He is still alive. When I sent for him from Owerri, it was to my house he arrived. General Alani Akinrinade was the one I signalled to tell Obasanjo to come to Uga in Orlu Division. He and then Lt. Col. Sam Tumoye were at our headquarters when we discussed how to bring the war to an end. It was from my house that I took Obasanjo to meet Effiong at Igboukwu, which used to be the headquarters of the Biafran Directorate of Military intelligence. General Akinrinade is still alive and can testify to what I am saying. Nobody defeated Biafra. Commonsense will have tell you the truth. If they defeated Biafra, the federal side would have demanded our weapons. In my own case, I asked all my soldiers to go home with their weapons. Those that don’t want it should dump them by the roadside. Some handed them over to us. The truth is this. For a long time because of the laws in the archives of the military, what I am telling you today was kept under cover and secret. The essence is to give Nigeria a chance to formulate a new society where all can live in peace. But unfortunately, what I see now is that the issues that led to that armed struggle is yet to be addressed. And instead of addressing this issue so that Nigeria can have a good future, our leaders are still pursuing selfish interest. It is such that even in their presence, the Niger Delta struggle is rising every day.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by dayokanu(m): 3:57pm On Nov 30, 2011
This man is super intelligent
OP thanks for bringing this topic. Can you read how he floored the Oyinbo Journalist?

STERN: But why are you refusing to discuss this war with a European?

[size=28pt]ADEKUNLE: Let me tell you something: When the Russians surrounded Stalingrad did you request a land corridor from them so as to better feed your soldiers who were stuck in the pot there? Of course you didn’t and I can tell from your face that you think the thought of a land corridor to bring in food for the captured German soldiers in Stalingrad is a bad joke. Me too. Where and when, …………., was there a war in which the loser was re-nourished one more time before the final loss? Why are you just calling for a land corridor for Biafra? Why aren’t you calling for a land corridor for the Viet Kong[/size]?

If only we have leaders like this nowadays, Someone who can stand to Westerners and call their BS in their face
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Dede1(m): 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2011
~Bluetooth:

War is about victory not glory.Biafara fought gloriously but failed woefully.Adekunle and obj brought the war to an end and any consequences that may have affected biafara was as a result of the declaration of the republic of biafara.war is not a training or video game,it's about death.Ibos killed nigerians likewise nigerian army killed ibos.so lick your wounds and quit bit-ching !

It is a true statement that stupidity can not be cured. Only a frustrated lunatic can insinuate Adekunle and Obasanjo brought Nigeria/Biafra civil war to an end. Even if Nigeria had one army division during war, it will still sound goofy to publicly state that the commanders of such army unit ended the war.

Maybe Nigerian army's 1st and 2nd divisions including the air force and navy did not contribute to the war efforts. Some folks are really born with loudmouths.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Ajillo: 4:06pm On Nov 30, 2011
The tragedy of Nigeria is much that a self defender is being accused of aggression and going to war. Igbos were massacred, maimed and humiliated. Biafra was attcked. Obasanjo, one of the principal commanders of the Nigerian army admitted in his book "My Command" the the federal forces shot the first bullets of the war. Have you not seen that book? Have you not read it? Are those assertions not true? What then is the meaning of "Ojukwu went to war". If self defence is going to war, then the sun is rising from the north and setting in the east.
Re: Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 30, 2011
Dede1:

It is a true statement that stupidity can not be cured. Only a frustrated lunatic can insinuate Adekunle and Obasanjo brought Nigeria/Biafra civil war to an end. Even if Nigeria had one army division during war, it will still sound goofy to publicly state that the commanders of such army unit ended the war.

Maybe Nigerian army's 1st and 2nd divisions including the air force and navy did not contribute to the war efforts. Some folks are really born with loudmouths.
The same way you shouldnt credit the glory of the biafara war on oju-iku rather on those soldiers who stood their ground and fought til the end even when the so called commander ran away leaving them to die.The point has been made.war is about victory and not glory.nigeria won,biafara lose.deal with it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Attacks Arik Aircraft In Maiduguri / Reps To Amaechi: We Don't Receive Budget Proposals From Ministers / More Photos From Hausa-igbo Clash In Jos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.