Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens (14306 Views)

Court Update: Drama In Court As Dss Threathens To Kill Kanus Lawyer / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage / Buruji Kashamu Threathens To Commit Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 13, 2011
Abuja — When the Bill on same-sex marriage eventually becomes law, any United States (US) citizen who lives in Nigeria and is found guilty of the law, would be jailed, the federal government said yesterday.

Political Adviser to the President, Alhaji Ahmed Gulak told journalists yesterday in Abuja that Nigerian laws must be respected by everybody in this country and no nation, however powerful, can dictate to Nigerian the laws that are appropriate for the nation.

He said: "This is Nigerian law; it is not American law and if you are an American and you come to Nigeria, you must subject yourself to our law and if you are caught violating this law or any other law, you will be prosecuted accordingly".

He said what the United States government and citizens failed to appreciate is that Nigeria has different culture and that the law passed by the National Assembly is in consonance with the culture of Nigeria.

He said: "No community in this country supports same sex marriage. I have not had any community in Nigeria that supports man-lover or lesbianism or what have you. So, our laws are for our country and not for the Americans.

"If Americans like, they can go and be marrying themselves as men and women; that is their problem, that is their culture, but in Nigeria, our laws are that no same sex can marry; we have said no to same sex marriage. And if you are discovered to have done that, there is a penalty for that".

US President, Barrack Obama and the West are opposed to the passage of the anti- same sex marriage bill by the Nigerian Senate and it would be recalled that President Obama had shortly after the passage of the bill issued a Presidential Memorandum directing "all federal agencies engaged abroad to ensure that US diplomacy and foreign assistance promote and protect the human rights of LGBT persons".

The Federal Government through its Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku in reaction to the Presidential Memo issued by Obama, last week also said Nigeria is an independent nation and so the West has no business dictating to it with regards to making laws that aim to preserve its culture and values.

Maku while also citing cultural differences also warned that Nigerian as an independent country reserves the right to make its laws without apology to other countries because "we live in a democracy and in every democracy as you know, there are institutions, there are laws and also there are cultures, there are beliefs and values."

The proposed law among other punitive measures, provided that witnesses or anyone who helps same sex couples marry could be sentenced to 10 years imprisonment. The bill also makes it illegal to register man-lover clubs or organizations, as well as criminalizing the "public show of same-sex amorous relationships directly or indirectly."

Alhaji Gulak also while making his position known equally debunked claims in some quarters that government has shut its Amnesty programme on rampaging doors against Niger Deltan youths who were not initially captured in the exercise.

He said President Goodluck Jonathan will still attend to the agitating youths after the present crop of beneficiaries would have completed their programme.

He said: "Amnesty programme is on going, the programme is not a one year programme oven two years thing. It is not closed.

"You could agree with me that a time lapse was given for people to come and surrender their arms and get registered and many of them registered. So when you come after that period, you have to follow the queue.

"In fact the government gave an ultimatum, about six months for the militants to surrender their arms and get registered before they benefit from the amnesty programme. A lot of them did that and got registered.

"So few people saw that the amnesty programme is succeeding; some of the youths are being send abroad for training, there are skill acquisition centres being constructed all over the Niger Delta region. They have the reality; they have seen that the government is living to its promises; now they are coming and saying we too we are part of this.

"Where were you when the government said drop your arms and get registered? We are not saying that we are closing the door on them, no, but what we are saying is join the queue. Amnesty programme is not for government to train you and give you job, it is for self reliant, to be self employed so that you too can employ others.

"What happened last week is just that some people felt that they are being excluded; these are the people that did not heed to the pleading and warning from the government".

Alhaji Gulak also said removal of subsidy will usher a prosperous Nigeria, "a Nigeria that will not mortgage the future of our generation".

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201112130477.html
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Kx: 11:38am On Dec 13, 2011
I think FG is taking this issue rather too far and too serious.
Is there nothing meaningful to occupy their mind and time?
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by werepeLeri: 11:44am On Dec 13, 2011
^^^^

A sad day on NairaLand.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by olabukola: 11:47am On Dec 13, 2011
Kx:

I think FG is taking this issue rather too far and too serious.
Is there nothing meaningful to occupy their mind and time?
This one is more meaningful, if u are one go seek asylum as this is the period of asylum boom in europe and usa.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by proudly9ja(m): 12:00pm On Dec 13, 2011
I really don't get the reason why they are emphasising on this issue. The bill has been passed, can we move on to more important issues?

What has the minister said in this report? Is it that ga.y Americans who are legally married in the US (or elsewhere) should not come to Nigeria for any reason? And why the emphasis on the US?

Or are these people so jobless that this is the only thing they can talk about?
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by manny4life(m): 12:39pm On Dec 13, 2011
U.S. vs Nigeria,

I hope Nigeria is ready for the showdown including fierce retaliation from the U.S., I hope all the senators who voted should be ready as well. Ordinary citizens if jailed, U.S. will pressure Nigeria for their release, as for U.S. diplomats, that's a total ball game altogether. I hope Nigeria can survive this law because when the effect begins to kick in, I won't laugh enough.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by cantell(m): 1:08pm On Dec 13, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Just identify and kill them.No long story.
Man, thats harsh!
manny4life:

U.S. vs Nigeria,

I hope Nigeria is ready for the showdown including fierce retaliation from the U.S., I hope all the senators who voted should be ready as well. Ordinary citizens if jailed, U.S. will pressure Nigeria for their release, as for U.S. diplomats, that's a total ball game altogether. I hope Nigeria can survive this law because when the effect begins to kick in, I won't laugh enough.
Nigeria is an independent state. If other countries are not in support of her laws, thats their business.
When Nigerians visit countries abroad, they abide by their laws or get jailed if they don't. Why should ours be any different?
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Nchara: 2:16pm On Dec 13, 2011
manny4life:

U.S. vs Nigeria,

Every country should make laws that suit their terrain. Enough of the West's meddlesomeness in other people's culture. G/a/y culture is alien to Nigeria (or at least frowned at by all Nigerian cultures). Will the West allow me to take a second wife (Nigeria-wide culture) in the USA without hurling me into jail for breaking their law? US citizens in Nigeria who are g/a/y should find a way of protecting their g/a/y[b]ness[/b] while in Nigeria, just like polygamous Nigerians in the west do. Wasn't a Nigerian ambassador nominee to the US once rejected by the US for having two or more wives?
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by 1025: 2:20pm On Dec 13, 2011
this our FG is one of the most funny comedians of our time. an FG that cannot jail ordinary obasanjo who is from ogun state and mrs. etteh or even ibori na us citizen they wan try.
make we watch and see.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Nchara: 2:23pm On Dec 13, 2011
1025:

this our FG is one of the most funny comedians of our time. an FG that cannot jail ordinary obasanjo who is from ogun state and mrs. etteh or even ibori na us citizen they wan try.
make we watch and see.

They do not even have to jail anyone. They can simply but subtly deny them entry into the country by asking for sex data in the immigration forms which can then be used against them. The last time I checked countries still have the right to whom they let in (into their country). Anyone who escapes that by lying may then be deported when caught. The west deports 100s of Nigerians on weekly basis. No biggie.

1 Like

Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by texazzpete(m): 3:39pm On Dec 13, 2011
The illiteracy and foolishness on display by Nigerian authorities is sickening to behold.

The United States government does NOT recognize gay marriage. They are not asking Nigeria or Nigerians to legalize gay marriage. They are only against criminalizing h'omosexuality.
Why then does EVERY government spokesman who responds come out to speak only about gay marriage? Why do they insist on proclaiming that the US is hell bent on institutionalizing gay marriage in Nigeria which is not even legalized in most areas of the US?
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Kobojunkie: 3:41pm On Dec 13, 2011
proudly9ja:

I really don't get the reason why they are emphasising on this issue. The bill has been passed, can we move on to more important issues?

What has the minister said in this report? Is it that ga.y Americans who are legally married in the US (or elsewhere) should not come to Nigeria for any reason? And why the emphasis on the US?

Or are these people so jobless that this is the only thing they can talk about?

You mean you don't want them to claim all the ATTENTION they can from this then? Once America is involved now, out Senators must denge and pose so they can be noticed. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Dec 13, 2011
texazzpete:

The illiteracy and foolishness on display by Nigerian authorities is sickening to behold.

The United States government does NOT recognize man-lover marriage. They are not asking Nigeria or Nigerians to legalize man-lover marriage. They are only against criminalizing h'omosexuality.
Why then does EVERY government spokesman who responds come out to speak only about man-lover marriage? Why do they insist on proclaiming that the US is hell bent on institutionalizing man-lover marriage in Nigeria which is not even legalized in most areas of the US?

I gave up on trying to figure that one out last Monday. The migraine called the Nigeria government . . . argh!
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by hercules07: 3:44pm On Dec 13, 2011
All these noise they are making, the US will just shakara them, when the US leans on Europe and other countries to deny them and their children visa, their eyes will open one time, also, those of them carrying US passports should not be surprised when one allegation surfaces against them in the US.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by manny4life(m): 4:19pm On Dec 13, 2011
cantell:

Nigeria is an independent state. If other countries are not in support of her laws, thats their business.
When Nigerians visit countries abroad, they abide by their laws or get jailed if they don't. Why should ours be any different?

You right, countries about countries not in support of the laws should mind their business. You're also right, ours shouldn't be any different. My own point is people shouldn't make silly laws such as this, the FG doesn't recognize man-lover marriage yet they don't jail anyone for it. In addition to that, you don't make threat and singly pick a nation out of spite just to make a point, this is what we say--- I pity the fool.

Nchara:

Every country should make laws that suit their terrain. Enough of the West's meddlesomeness in other people's culture. G/a/y culture is alien to Nigeria (or at least frowned at by all Nigerian cultures). Will the West allow me to take a second wife (Nigeria-wide culture) in the USA without hurling me into jail for breaking their law? US citizens in Nigeria who are g/a/y should find a way of protecting their g/a/y[b]ness[/b] while in Nigeria, just like polygamous Nigerians in the west do. Wasn't a Nigerian ambassador nominee to the US once rejected by the US for having two or more wives?

Yeah, alien to Nigeria, please man save this "alien to Nigeria" for other threads where this issue have been flogged seriously. I'm in no doubt arguing whether there should be a law or not, I believe my point was clearly stated well. Polygamous marriage in America doesn't constitute 14years in prison, if it is, please educate me man because I like to know. Besides, they did no say "any Nigerian with more than one wife will be jailed".
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by dinachi(m): 4:38pm On Dec 13, 2011
No country has any right to deny another country its own right to make laws for its citizens. Obama is just positioning for his second tenure and will definitely need gay votes. it is all about the votes. The gay looby is so powerfull in the west that open antagonism will cost Obama his second term if he tries. The only American president to call the gay bluff was George W Bush. He Depended heavily on the religious right for his second term and it worked. Democrats are far more gay friendly than republicans. It is a question of political necesity. Obama cannot dares gays because they put him in power. Please lets understand the dynamics. The Federal Government and the Senate has won my respect tremendously with their handling of this issue.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by ChinenyeN(m): 5:09pm On Dec 13, 2011
I can't say I'm surprised.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by danjohn: 5:33pm On Dec 13, 2011
Our leaders are idiots. The last thing that we need is for public opinion to turn against us in America. Right now Americans are ambivalent about their country having a relationship with us. Yes we had Mutallab and yes Americans joke about the emails (with lots of grammatical errors) they receive from Nigerians; but they still do not have a negative opinion about us. Our leaders need to concern themselves how to usher in an industrial revolution. They need to be concerned about how we can build a modern economy, with an educated, and healthy work force.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Nchara: 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2011
manny4life:

Yeah, alien to Nigeria, please man save this "alien to Nigeria" for other threads where this issue have been flogged seriously. I'm in no doubt arguing whether there should be a law or not, I believe my point was clearly stated well. Polygamous marriage in America doesn't constitute 14years in prison, if it is, please educate me man because I like to know. Besides, they did no say "any Nigerian with more than one wife will be jailed".

Yes it is alien to Nigeria because no Nigerian culture condones it. I know there are g/a/ys and l/e/s/b/ians in Nigeria but it is generally not an open thing like in the USA where a number of states have legalized it. And yes, you will be jailed (up to 5 years) in the USA if you are[b] known to be [/b]married to more than one partner. Depending on the circumstance, it can be a misdemeanor or a felony. In Canada you also get 5 years. The mormons who still practice polygamy today in Utah did find a way to beat the law.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Nchara: 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2011
Congress passed a final federal antibigamy provision in 1892, which excluded polygamists from immigration into the United States. This exclusion remains part of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Code.

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/history/plural_marriage/Legislation_EOM.htm
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Nchara: 6:07pm On Dec 13, 2011
Mannyforlife:

The easiest way to tell if it is allowed by NIGERIAN culture is to conduct a referendum. You will see that 99% of Nigerians will be against it. It is not our culture, period.

In some parts of Igboland, some barren, well-to-do women marry wives for their husbands or (or if widowed and childless) marry and let the lady play around with choice men to bear them kids to perpetuate their husbands generation, similar to what Jacob's wife did in the Bible. In those Igbolands where it is practiced, this culture is as good as dead presently and is definitely not akin to the g/a/y or l/e/s/b/ian culture under discussion where men/women sleep with their kind.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by OmoTier1(m): 10:04pm On Dec 13, 2011
Shameful how most US based Nigerians on NL seems to have been brainwashed in thinking the US is the beginning and End of humanity!

The US can go to hell with their stinky man lover culture! The libral brainwashed Nigerian numpties resident there that think likewise about man-lover relationship as the US can join them there!

We do not do man lover here in Nigeria! Any man or woman lover caught when this bill becomes law will face the full weight of the law! Nonsense!!

In democracy, the majority carries the day, and on this matter 99.9% of Nigerians are against man or woman lover relationship. The US and her citizenry should respect the wishes of Nigeria and her citizenry, or what is democracy afterall
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by dinachi(m): 11:51pm On Dec 13, 2011
Dont mind them jor, most of them cant wipe their ass until America orders so. The west says jump, they ask how high! Pathetic people, though I heard the gay lobby is aggressively seeking support online and offline to the extent of paying otherwise straight people to campaign for them. The gay movement is becoming very powerfull. Thats why the senate voted to make gay gatherings illegal. If you let gay clubs thrive, they will eventually become powerfull enough to upturn the senate's decision. Thats exactly what happened in the west!
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Rossikk(m): 1:56am On Dec 14, 2011
danjohn said

Our leaders are idiots.  The last thing that we need is for public opinion to turn against us in America.  Right now Americans are ambivalent about their country having a relationship with us.  Yes we had Mutallab and yes Americans joke about the emails (with lots of grammatical errors) they receive from Nigerians; but they still do not have a negative opinion about us.  Our leaders need to concern themselves how to usher in an industrial revolution.  They need to be concerned about how we can build a modern economy, with an educated, and healthy work force.

What nonsense. I bet u kiss white assss every day at the office. Tragic.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by EkoIle1: 3:32am On Dec 14, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Shameful how most US based Nigerians on NL seems to have been brainwashed in thinking the US is the beginning and End of humanity!

The US can go to hell with their stinky man lover culture! The libral brainwashed Nigerian numpties resident there that think likewise about man-lover relationship as the US can join them there!

We do not do man lover here in Nigeria! Any man or woman lover caught when this bill becomes law will face the full weight of the law! Nonsense!!

In democracy, the majority carries the day, and on this matter 99.9% of Nigerians are against man or woman lover relationship. The US and her citizenry should respect the wishes of Nigeria and her citizenry, or what is democracy afterall

This rubbish reflects the fact that most Naija based Nigerians are very very unenlightened, they are still very very primitive and ignorant, they are backward, unworldly and unsophisticated.

The world is moving ahead, but you losers and your leaders dey do agidi to head back into the stone age by force. D.umb people and worthless leaders.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

This rubbish reflects the fact that most Naija based Nigerians are very very unenlightened, they are still very very primitive and ignorant, they are backward, unworldly and unsophisticated.

The world is moving ahead, but you losers and your leaders dey do agidi to head back into the stone age by force. D.umb people and worthless leaders.

so being gay is 'unworldly'
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by begwong: 1:31pm On Dec 14, 2011
:-x :-x :-x
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:36pm On Dec 14, 2011
I hope you people can now see how jobless the senators in your country are. They have nothing better to do with their time now than to be pursuing homosexuals up and down. I thought this matter was done and dusted. Why are now bringing this all up again. Why didn't they give the freedom of information and petroleum industry bills this kind of attention? Yet you people will continue hailing them Keep on hailing them They will keep making more anti gay laws for you and ignore laws that will actually improve your lives
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by brainpulse: 2:08pm On Dec 14, 2011
Every country has the sovereignty to protect and guide its institution which we should encourage Nigeria to do. NO other country no matter how great should interfer or intimidate Nigeria in any capacity.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by andyanders: 2:10pm On Dec 14, 2011
This is Nigeria. If Obama comes here to seek for man lover as a bi-sexu-al if he is one, he should be jailed. To hell with America and other western world that support same sex marriage go and kill yourselves.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by Mobinga: 2:17pm On Dec 14, 2011
There are better things to focus on and debate. This is a little extreme. Stop escalating a trivial issue.
Re: Same-SEX - FG Threathens To Jail U.S. Citizens by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:26pm On Dec 14, 2011
Mobinga:

There are better things to focus on and debate. This is a little extreme. Stop escalating a trivial issue.

you think those silly leaders of ours don't know what they're doing. the more they distract silly Nigerians with sentiments like the above, the more they can get away with the worng that they do. They've been doing this for a long time, yet Nigerians, like goats, refuse to learn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo / DSS To Arraign Sowore In Court On Tuesday / Wike: Nobody Can Rig Edo Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.