Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (337) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1624311 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) ... (2207) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 10:30pm On Jul 08, 2016
SIRcumalot:

new coach, a fully recovered superstar able to play to his Max ability an exciting new players under rookie contract like Adams.
again defeating the spurs and taking the warriors
they even traded away ibaka because he wasn't happy with his role anymore.
2015 this team wasn't even in the playoffs.

James Harden is the leader of the 2015 rockets and you saw he started 2016 not the same thing.

some of this reporters are saying Durant acted preemptively because WB was going to join the Lakers.
if he was fully assured that WB would remain,maybe This don't happen

KD had been on GSWs radar for 2 years at least. They wanted him even before they won the championship in 2015. OKC beating SAS and what not was one-off. Just like Toronto getting to ECFs this past season. It doesn't appear they will repeat. Same as OKC.

KD left because he wasn't convinced. They were still going to fall short even if they got past the WCFs.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2016
chic2pimp:

1. Where the Suns the best team in the NBA when He moved there? NO they weren't. So I don't see how you can compare the two.

2.Charles was definitely on the decline (compare those stats to when He was vying for the MVP title)with a well documented back problem unlike KD who is right in his pomp. Plus the rockets were not even the best team on their conference never mind the NBA so yet again it's a different scenario.

3. Ifs and Buts. He did not go there so yet again two uncomparable situations.

As I said already I don't blame KD. He wants the rings and is only giving himself the best possible chance of doing just that but abeg it's not comparable to Sir Charles's.

1. They can compare because Suns were better than his Sixers team. And GSW being the best team is moot seeing that Cavs beat them when it mattered most.

2. His best ppg Ave was 27 in a season. And he did 23.3 just before going to Rockets. He was also Rockets top scorer his first year there. He fought for that move because at that point, the Rockets and not the Bulls was the best team that had just gone back to back as champs. Bulls and Jordan lost to Magic in ECFs finals in case you don't remember

3. The hypotheticals are in place because GSW lobbied to have KD not just that he demanded to be traded there.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 10:37pm On Jul 08, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
I won't lie I am pained cry especially speights and Barbosa leaving.... Since speights signed with the clips for a min why ddn't Warriors sign him for the min

Speights showed max improvement, staffs invested in him, started shooting the three, our hype bench is gone.... Especially when that three goes in and the sleeve dance is out.... Wud miss all that cry

All this oldies vet that we are packing on the bench ehn it's all short term dnt see them staying with the team like Mo, SDot, Rush and Barbosa did cry

Just as the saying goes: You can't eat your cake and have it

I am sad. cry embarassed

I am pained too dear. Really. For Barbosa and Speights in particular. I guess defensive covering is the reason for this. Let's just wait and see. I hope none of our starting 4 gets any serious injuries again this year. Only a ring can console me following these trades.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 11:32pm On Jul 08, 2016
[quote author=Eruditor post=47347659]

I am pained too dear. Really. For Barbosa and Speights in particular. I guess defensive covering is the reason for this. Let's just wait and see. I hope none of our starting 4 gets any serious injuries again this year. Only a ring can console me following these trades.[/quote too Mizzzbeee.. Like just leave Burbosa and Speights but as Eruditor said they are liabilities on defense..
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 12:04am On Jul 09, 2016
Eruditor:

KD had been on GSWs radar for 2 years at least. They wanted him even before they won the championship in 2015. OKC beating SAS and what not was one-off. Just like Toronto getting to ECFs this past season. It doesn't appear they will repeat. Same as OKC.

KD left because he wasn't convinced. They were still going to fall short even if they got past the WCFs.
no it wasn't they've defeated San Antonio in the past,nobody gave them much of a chance against This spurs team because this particular one just broke their regular season record.
with a few changes,I think they could've easily returned to the WCF what is done,is done sha.
now am just curious how teams will defend against this warrior team. and the weakness to be exploited.
I don't think the defence will suffer that much.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 1:03am On Jul 09, 2016
Zaza Pachulia will be a great replacement for Bogut. Fits the Warriors offense perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DPU-_JHwmA
Re: The NBA Begins by Skywalker5(m): 6:23am On Jul 09, 2016
Manutd19:

not so good but won't complain. Getting Durant is huge.

Warriors still need a center position.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 7:03am On Jul 09, 2016
Skywalker5:

Zaza Pachulia and 2 rookies are readily available..
Re: The NBA Begins by Skywalker5(m): 7:32am On Jul 09, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Zaza Pachulia and 2 rookies are readily available..

cool. Zaza looks like a good fit but is age on his side? Hopefully, the rookies with be inspired. I want warriors to win no one, not two, not three.... you know what i mean grin grin grin grin
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 8:54am On Jul 09, 2016
Skywalker5:

cool. Zaza looks like a good fit but is age on his side? Hopefully, the rookies with be inspired. I want warriors to win no one, not two, not three.... you know what i mean grin grin grin grin
Zaza is doing well and unlike the PG position, Rookies tend to adapt faster.
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 9:16am On Jul 09, 2016
Skywalker5:

Zaza and David West
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 9:19am On Jul 09, 2016
Looks like with the addition of KD to warriors, splash brothers will be changed to splash family. http://eneprom..ae/2016/07/its-crazy-kevin-durant-joins-golden.html?m=1
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 9:21am On Jul 09, 2016
Kenekene1:
Looks like with the addition of KD to warriors, splash brothers will be changed to splash family. http://eneprom..ae/2016/07/its-crazy-kevin-durant-joins-golden.html?m=1
Why are you posting a link to your
Re: The NBA Begins by Skywalker5(m): 10:01am On Jul 09, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
Zaza and David West

Really don't trust West.That guy is on the decline in my own opinion.
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 10:08am On Jul 09, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
Why are you posting a link to your
. Missy, please cut me some slack. U r right. I dey try promote my blog.
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 10:30am On Jul 09, 2016
Kenekene1:
OK would visit your blog
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 10:57am On Jul 09, 2016
Kenekene1:
I visited your blog, and I can see its a sport blog which at least it's a breather from all these entertainment blogs and what not.

Just some advice: the background is quite dull.. The only background other than white that has worked for blogs is nairaland. Check out misstechy's blog, it's clean,smooth, warm and visually appealing to the eyes. That's my one-stop site for gadget reviews and tech news.

Content:you have to keep it original here. Alot of people hate blogs because of their copy and paste attitude. Since its a sport blog you have to do something different from other sites, cuz there is an high percentage that what you are reporting has already been read on other sites, so how can you engage your readers? Go controversial sometimes, bring out discussions in which people can engage in. If you can go further in doing youtube videos of these players highlights with in video comments, that would be good also. With this you can drive traffic and also have consistent readers on ur blog.

Updates:How fast do you update your blog... You can't be talking about last season when trade news are what's buzzing now, also the euro championship is on now, and there is nothing of that sort on your blog. WWE has no info.

If you really want to push your blog and reap from it, you will need to dedicate a little more to it. Goodluck
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 1:50pm On Jul 09, 2016
A40:

Every contribution is welcome. There is no one here that knows it all. Everyday I come here I pick up something new from every poster on this page and that is the beauty of it. You have made lots of sound contributions on this page and I'm sure I speak for everybody here

Maybe due to my German bias and just because Dirk na humble and quiet guy but the guy is too underrated. I look at his career and in his prime his team's second best players oscillated between Josh Howard and Jason Terry. Yet look at his achievements.

About Durant I can get OKC fans being disappointed, a Durant fan can also be disappointed it boils down to preference but you need to see Cavs fans or should we say LeBron fans raking and venting on social media. And I'm like wetin concern una with where Durant wan play? Is it his fault that they don't have cap space and why are they so angry. One mumu friend of mine who be diehard LeBron fan said he was disappointed in Durant and I was like. Da phuq?

i really appreciate ur compliment. i concede, you beat me in that debate. believe me, I learn more and loads from u guys.

Iv finally decided to render my take on Durant's issue.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 1:52pm On Jul 09, 2016
About Durant, I wd HV made more comments about this long ago. But I'm not that kind of guy. I always like to hear from all parties including Durant before saying anything.

I just don't jump on threads or posts for the sake of attention or to draw likes.

Now that Durant has spoken, I can draw all final conclusions.

I heard him talk to chemistry, unity and equality withing GSW. Heard him talk of their style of play which I know suits his.
I was like "pleeeez, there's nothing he went there for that he couldn't create in OKC if he had a strong character". It takes a lot of character to influence the people around you.

Jordan did it in Chicago, surrounded by weaklings, including him in terms of physique, strenght. Most people never realised that what made the bulls finally overcome Detroit wasn't just Jordan flying up and down.

Jordan was all flash and less of substance in his first few years. Bird, magic, Kareem, and the entire badboys pistons were stronger than him. But he trained sooo hard and got much stronger. The entire bulls team followed him in that regard.
Jordan had that aura of influence on the entire bulls organisation.

Besides Jordan. Kobe did the same in Lakers. Kobe was on the bench for first 3 to 4 years in the league. He improved so much that that had to give out Eddie Jones and nick van exel.

Leave a Kobe of 20 to share the spotlight with shaq. 2 alphas were on the team. If became a problem. Lakers had to loose 1 of them. They lost shaq. Surrounded Kobe with bunch of new guys. Alas, 2 championships without shaq.
I'm not a diehard Kobe fan mainly becos he got into the league same season with my greatest inspiration "Iverson".

But to be frank, at their best its much easier to build ur franchise around Kobe fan building it around Iverson.

Strength of character in sports, goes far beyond skill set.

Durant has failed in that regard.

Let's even agree that its obvious its easier for him to play with Stephan and Westbrook, cos Westbrook is a ballhogger, unlike Steph. Wasn't shaq a ballhogger next to Kobe?

As eratic or ball-possesive as Russell is, Durant's influence on the rest of the weaker players should have neutralised that. U really need to see the kind of weakling Jordan had in the bulls before they started winning championships. Besides, pippen, there was none of them that seemed to be capable of being a good player.

Horance Grant, bill Cartwrite they were so horrible. I could swear Jordan had the worst and weakest teammates in the NBA for the first 5years of his career.
Now, let's dont validate Durant's move by comparing it to Lebron's move to Miami.

Miami won less than 40game prior to that move. Miami won 42games 2004, 59games 2005.
They were not amongst the top10 most stacked team in the league. Truth is there was/is no top10 team in the league Lebron would go to that wouldn't get to the finals or win the cham. We can't say the same of Steph or Durant.

Compare that to Durant that moved from a team that was 1game from defeating Golden state. And most likely dethrone them at the west. OKC to me cracked the code of how to play against or defeat Golden state. I tell people, the cavs borrowed okc's template in the finals.

All u do against GSW are:
1) always anticipate screens even when u are off the ball.

2) stay glued to ur man, irrespective of mismatch.

3) stay close to shooters like klay and curry when they are on the arc to either unsettle them from shooting or taking the bait to for them to dribble you and move closer to the basket. 2points is always better than 3points.
OKC had broken the code the same way morinho broke the code of how to play or defeat barca. Morinho did it with Chelsea, inter and finally Madrid. It became obvious that it was no fluke.

Durant had the chance to create something great with OKC. They were one or two pieces from totally Cracking GSW's kind of basketball for life.

If I were OKC, I WD have gotten a pure creative, none-stylish pointguard like Chris Paul, wall or rondo to play point next to west brook. So west brook could play off the ball as forward or scoring guard.
Philadelphia 76's did the same thing year 2000 and they got to the finals. That year, Larry brown moved Iverson from shooting guard and played a shorter Eric snow next to him. I saw these changes and see where it got them, finals!!!

Truth is Durant would win ring(s) in GSW. But its only gonna be ceremonial. It would never have as much value as those that won it through tougher adversities.

Iv never been the type to measure greatness with rings.
I would always put strength of character, aura of positive influence and unequalled charisma over Rings, anytime, any day.

At times; "The story of success in the face of adversity, can be sweeter than the story of your glory when served at your doorstep".
nairamaniac, 2016.

CC lolawilliams and rest of da crew.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 4:42pm On Jul 09, 2016
SIRcumalot:

no it wasn't they've defeated San Antonio in the past,nobody gave them much of a chance against This spurs team because this particular one just broke their regular season record.
with a few changes,I think they could've easily returned to the WCF what is done,is done sha.
now am just curious how teams will defend against this warrior team. and the weakness to be exploited.
I don't think the defence will suffer that much.

OKC over achieved last season. It is that simple.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
nairamaniac:

About Durant, I wd HV made more comments about this long ago. But I'm not that kind of guy. I always like to hear from all parties including Durant before saying anything.

I just don't jump on threads or posts for the sake of attention or to draw likes.

I heard him talk to chemistry, unity and equality withing GSW. Heard him talk of their style of play which I know suits his.
I was like "pleeeez, there's nothing he went there for that he couldn't create in OKC if he had a strong character". It takes a lot of character to influence the people around you.

Jordan did it in Chicago, surrounded by weaklings, including him in terms of physique, strenght. Most people never realised that what made the bulls finally overcome Detroit wasn't just Jordan flying up and down.

Jordan was all flash and less of substance in his first few years. Bird, magic, Kareem, and the entire badboys pistons were stronger than him. But he trained sooo hard and got much stronger. The entire bulls team followed him in that regard.

Besides Jordan. Kobe did the same in Lakers. Kobe was on the bench for first 3 to 4 years in the league. He improved so much that that had to give out Eddie Jones and nick van exel.

Leave a Kobe of 20 to share the spotlight with shaq. 2 alphas were on the team. If became a problem. Lakers had to loose 1 of them. They lost shaq. Surrounded Kobe with bunch of new guys. Alas, 2 championships without shaq.
I'm not a diehard Kobe fan mainly becos he got into the league same season with my greatest inspiration "Iverson".

But to be frank, at their best its much easier to build ur franchise around Kobe fan building it around Iverson.

Let's even agree that its obvious its easier for him to play with Stephan and Westbrook, cos Westbrook is a ballhogger, unlike Steph. Wasn't shaq a ballhogger next to Kobe?

As eratic or ball-possesive as Russell is, Durant's influence on the rest of the weaker players should have neutralised that. U really need to see the kind of weakling Jordan had in the bulls before they started winning championships. Besides, pippen, there was none of them that seemed to be capable of being a good player.

Horance Grant, bill Cartwrite they were so horrible. I could swear Jordan had the worst and weakest teammates in the NBA for the first 5years of his career.
Now, let's dont validate Durant's move by comparing it to Lebron's move to Miami.

Miami won less than 40game prior to that move. Miami won 42games 2004, 59games 2005.
They were not amongst the top10 most stacked team in the league. Truth is there was/is no top10 team in the league Lebron would go to that wouldn't get to the finals or win the cham. We can't say the same of Steph or Durant.

Compare that to Durant that moved from a team that was 1game from defeating Golden state. And most likely dethrone them at the west. OKC to me cracked the code of how to play against or defeat Golden state. I tell people, the cavs borrowed okc's template in the finals.

3) stay close to shooters like klay and curry when they are on the arc to either unsettle them from shooting or taking the bait to for them to dribble you and move closer to the basket. 2points is always better than 3points.
OKC had broken the code the same way morinho broke the code of how to play or defeat barca. Morinho did it with Chelsea, inter and finally Madrid. It became obvious that it was no fluke.

Durant had the chance to create something great with OKC. They were one or two pieces from totally Cracking GSW's kind of basketball for life.

If I were OKC, I WD have gotten a pure creative, none-stylish pointguard like Chris Paul, wall or rondo to play point next to west brook. So west brook could play off the ball as forward or scoring guard.
Philadelphia 76's did the same thing year 2000 and they got to the finals. That year, Larry brown moved Iverson from shooting guard and played a shorter Eric snow next to him. I saw these changes and see where it got them, finals!!!

Truth is Durant would win ring(s) in GSW. But its only gonna be ceremonial. It would never have as much value as those that won it through tougher adversities.

I would always put strength of character, aura of positive influence and unequalled charisma over Rings, anytime, any day.

At times; "The story of success in the face of adversity, can be sweeter than the story of your glory when served at your doorstep".
nairamaniac, 2016.

Oh Please spare us this "Strength Of Character BS"
The dude made a move in his own interests after 9yrs and you criticize him for it and go as far as saying "lacks strength of character"..
If you'll pick strength of character over rings and championship, then don't even watch basketball. He should team up with Chris Paul or Rondo and Westbrook should've moved to Shooting Guard.. Man, you cracking me up. Westbrook who's <35% 3pt, average jumper and struggling shooter.. Please it's better if you had just said you're disappointed KD joined an A-Star team which is unfair than to have said you waited for everyone to drop their ideas, and you refused to jump on the issue for likes attention unlike others and still ended up typing this rubbish.

OKC was always close and making foolish trades after like Harden, Reggie Jackson and Ibaka.. Why the hell did they even trade Ibaka for Oladipo??
KD did what's best for his career and personal heart desire why don't you just worry about your rather than criticise him for chasing his dreams. GSW got him after 2yrs chase. Stop the double standard cos you wouldn't day LeBron lack strength in character when he moved to Miami, constantly insulted Chalmers on Heats, never listened to David Blatt, Called himself the World Best Player and tried to step over a grown man and rat the same person to the media, or 41pts back to back in finals, MVP and finally Won A title for Cleveland. Strength of character doesn't mean shit if you stay I a team all you career and have nothing to show for it. Strength of character is Búllshit. What matters is the smile on each players face knowing they worked for whatever trophy they got.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 5:00pm On Jul 09, 2016
nairamaniac:

nairamaniac, 2016.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 5:57pm On Jul 09, 2016
Nairamaniac,

Sorry but your story is laddened with anecdotes that simply do not tell the real story. Jordan was a beast in the NBA from the word go. No matter how many times you want to over estimate how he improved within 84-91, the fact remains that he always had big ppgs from the beginning.

It is on record that Larry Bird called Jordan "Basketball god" the very first time they would play. He simply had not seen anyone as talented as Jordan and Jordan's numbers were showing it. What improved from 84-91 was that Jordan got better teammates. Forget all that talk about him working out and getting buff, he would have still been scoring big, but his teammates would have been letting him down like before.

Also Horace was so big to the Bulls, they needed Rodman to replace him. Horace was part of the first 3 peat squad and only left because he thought Bulls would be on the decline and quickly hopped to a fledgling Orlando Magic side that would go on to beat Jordan's bulls in 1995 ECSFs. That's history anyways. You should get the drift. Jordan NEEDED great team mates. Tony Kukoc (best Croatian player), Longley (best Australian player), Pippen (top 5 USA player of his day), Rodman (Top 2 rebounder of his day), Kerr (excellent 3pt shooter) etc etc. From the earlier 3peat squad we would also find worthy hands as well.

And the strength of character fib is just fib. Kobe should have stayed with Charlotte Hornets if he truly had the strength of character. It was easier for Kobe like Duncan to stay put because they had won rings very early in their careers. Kobe was like 21/22 in his first ring and had 2 more by age 23/24. The pressure was off him and yes he needed Shaq to get the first 3. Without Shaq, Kobe wasn't going to get natta.

To add insult to injury, Kobe asked to be traded in 07 when he felt he was being surrounded with scrubs in the lakers. I don't know how anyone can epitomise Kobe as an icon for loyalty or anything. Kobe is a winner, and KD just like him wants to be one as winners (as far as the NBA is concerned) are determined by RINGS. Don't be misled.

Whether KD left because WB was a ballhog is still debateable. Now I know Shaq was the most of Lakers' offence (and not Kobe) in their 3 peat days but I won't go as far as calling him a ballhog. Let us for the sake of this discourse agree that he was, did they not win 3 rings while at it? What did KD benefit from WB's ballhogging? Did he win a ring? So you cannot compare both cases.

As for Miami, you people should stop selling us this false narrative. It is not what Miami were before he got there, but who and who he went there to meet. He played with Bosh and Wade. Also, the false narrative about every team he is on gets to the finals: you mean Cleveland 2003-2010 or what? I remember only 1 final that he played in within those years, so where did you get that idea from?

Then as for the last part about code cracking, that will just be tiring to elucidate. It is funny the double standards I have to keep pointing out to people. First OKC leads 3-1 and loses the next 3 games. All we keep hearing is how they are the best team bla bla and deserved to win bla bla. Then GSW leads 3-1 and Cavs win 3 games and guess what? Nobody says GSW almost won, all we hear is how great X and Y were. It is exasperating to say the least.

Mourinho cracked this and cracked that yet he has lost more times than he has won, and yet he cracked something? OKC were a piece away from beating GSW but GSW that beat OKC were not better than them? Or GSW were not a-player-better-than-Harrison-Barnes away from beating Cavs?

Lastly, you said this: "never been the type to measure greatness with rings. I would always put strength of character, aura of positive influence and unequalled charisma over Rings, anytime, any day."

OK. So KD had all these until he left for GSW? Hahahahahaha!

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 6:05pm On Jul 09, 2016
nairamaniac:

nairamaniac, 2016.

Exactly, nice write up, K.D ring would only be ceremonial, it wld never have as much value as those who won it through tougher adversities.

What's going on with cavs, looks like they trying to fill that team with old veteran players, R.J, mike dunleavy and there are rumours going on that we're trying to get chris anderson. I dont think thats a good idea, though I read that dunleavy has a good defense, a 3pts shooter and a lil dirty, It wld hve been grt to see delly play with him. Old players can never beat that warriors startin 5

But I havent seen a big signing, leBron and JR are yet to sign also. Im not feeling all of this, I swear.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 7:44pm On Jul 09, 2016
lolawilliams:

Exactly, nice write up, K.D ring would only be ceremonial, it wld never have as much value as those who won it through tougher adversities.

What's going on with cavs, looks like they trying to fill that team with old veteran players, R.J, mike dunleavy and there are rumours going on that we're trying to get chris anderson. I dont think thats a good idea, though I read that dunleavy has a good defense, a 3pts shooter and a lil dirty, It wld hve been grt to see delly play with him. Old players can never beat that warriors startin 5

But I havent seen a big signing, leBron and JR are yet to sign also. Im not feeling all of this, I swear.

You guys will still get to the finals. Winning another one is an entirely different discourse
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:36pm On Jul 09, 2016
Eruditor:
Nairamaniac,

Sorry but your story is laddened with anecdotes that simply do not tell the real story. Jordan was a beast in the NBA from the word go. No matter how many times you want to over estimate how he improved within 84-91, the fact remains that he always had big ppgs from the beginning.

It is on record that Larry Bird called Jordan "Basketball god" the very first time they would play. He simply had not seen anyone as talented as Jordan and Jordan's numbers were showing it. What improved from 84-91 was that Jordan got better teammates. Forget all that talk about him working out and getting buff, he would have still been scoring big, but his teammates would have been letting him down like before.

Also Horace was so big to the Bulls, they needed Rodman to replace him. Horace was part of the first 3 peat squad and only left because he thought Bulls would be on the decline and quickly hopped to a fledgling Orlando Magic side that would go on to beat Jordan's bulls in 1995 ECSFs. That's history anyways. You should get the drift. Jordan NEEDED great team mates. Tony Kukoc (best Croatian player), Longley (best Australian player), Pippen (top 5 USA player of his day), Rodman (Top 2 rebounder of his day), Kerr (excellent 3pt shooter) etc etc. From the earlier 3peat squad we would also find worthy hands as well.

And the strength of character fib is just fib. Kobe should have stayed with Charlotte Hornets if he truly had the strength of character. It was easier for Kobe like Duncan to stay put because they had won rings very early in their careers. Kobe was like 21/22 in his first ring and had 2 more by age 23/24. The pressure was off him and yes he needed Shaq to get the first 3. Without Shaq, Kobe wasn't going to get natta.

To add insult to injury, Kobe asked to be traded in 07 when he felt he was being surrounded with scrubs in the lakers. I don't know how anyone can epitomise Kobe as an icon for loyalty or anything. Kobe is a winner, and KD just like him wants to be one as winners (as far as the NBA is concerned) are determined by RINGS. Don't be misled.

Whether KD left because WB was a ballhog is still debateable. Now I know Shaq was the most of Lakers' offence (and not Kobe) in their 3 peat days but I won't go as far as calling him a ballhog. Let us for the sake of this discourse agree that he was, did they not win 3 rings while at it? What did KD benefit from WB's ballhogging? Did he win a ring? So you cannot compare both cases.

As for Miami, you people should stop selling us this false narrative. It is not what Miami were before he got there, but who and who he went there to meet. He played with Bosh and Wade. Also, the false narrative about every team he is on gets to the finals: you mean Cleveland 2003-2010 or what? I remember only 1 final that he played in within those years, so where did you get that idea from?

Then as for the last part about code cracking, that will just be tiring to elucidate. It is funny the double standards I have to keep pointing out to people. First OKC leads 3-1 and loses the next 3 games. All we keep hearing is how they are the best team bla bla and deserved to win bla bla. Then GSW leads 3-1 and Cavs win 3 games and guess what? Nobody says GSW almost won, all we hear is how great X and Y were. It is exasperating to say the least.

Mourinho cracked this and cracked that yet he has lost more times than he has won, and yet he cracked something? OKC were a piece away from beating GSW but GSW that beat OKC were not better than them? Or GSW were not a-player-better-than-Harrison-Barnes away from beating Cavs?

Lastly, you said this: "never been the type to measure greatness with rings. I would always put strength of character, aura of positive influence and unequalled charisma over Rings, anytime, any day."

U are wrong in some parts of your response and misunderstanding me a bit at some other parts.

Jordan was good, athletic, prolific scorer like the league had never seen. But no one envisaged he would be a player to attract rings to his club.

They placed Jordan in the level of bird and magic. This two brought rings within the first 4years of their careers.

Besides, Jordan was 6-6 and also skinny. Before Jordan, players of his size, stature and position(hardly) led their teams to championships.

Upon how good he was no one ever saw him as someone to take the bulls to where bird&magic had taken their respective teams to.

The u expectations stayed that way till they cracked the code against Detroit 1991.

What was so special about the better team mates Jordan got prior to 91?

He didn't Get better or great teammates. Those teammates got better under Jordan's influence. These are two different things. You really need to read the testimonies of all those players prior to 91.
Did you ever read books that contained testimonies of Jordan's teammates prior to 91?

I'm not playing age-card on you. Cos I believe u also know stuffs I don't even know.

Who the hell were horace grant and pippen prior to 1990. They were just average players in their 3 year. They both got drafted the same year, sometime around 87.

You are so wrong about bulls recruiting rodman because they needed him to replace Grant.
Grant and Rodman were two extremely different kinds of players. Grant was just an average power-forward. Rodman was a rebounding-specialist that had led the league in that regard several times before his time in Chicago. He was also a defensive guru that had won defensive player of the year on two occasions.

The bulls drafted rodman not as a replica of Grant. But because Jordan had modified his game when he came out of retirement 1995. Jordan was shooting better and driving less to the basket. He worked more on his shots and post-moves more than he did on his drives and leaps. I know all these because I watched documentries and tapes of his training while they were shooting Space-jam, 1996.
Jordan gave warner bros a condition, that if he was to act the movie, they had to build a dome for him to practice. The production company built the arena from scratch because of Jordan. I was opportuned to watch his focus of improvements.
The bulls got rodman cause they realised and knew Jordan was a completely different player from the one that retired 1993. He was shooting more. Had developed the best post moves, fade away shots I'm the league. They need rodman to pick up the pieces.

The Grant that you say "was sooo big'. Please how big was he? Hr didn't even make one all-star all through the years of the bull's first years of championships. He made his 1st allstar I'm Orlando sometime 94 or 95.

Now let me take it down to your period of 96 and thereafter.

Accordingbaseyou " Jordan NEEDED great team mates. Tony Kukoc (best Croatian player),Longley (best Australian player)". And so bloody what if they were the best players from their countries.

Amino kanu is the best nigerian player. Just like olumide oladeji was the best player in nigeria at a time. Does that make them "great players" in anyway?

I'm the best player in my village, does DAT make me a great player in Nigeria.

Please stop validating the helping hands Durant reached out for in order to win rings by exaggerating the greatness of Jordan's teammates. Its an insult to greatness itself. If u wanna validate Durant's impending ring due to his move, please leave Jordan out of it.

When I talk, I don't use stats or Google. I talk from all I saw and witnessed. Dont get me wrong. I'm not that old. Im in my 30's. But I started playing basketball at at of 8.

I played as a kid in same court olumide oyedeji, islander and ebun comet players. We met every Sunday at air force base, Ikeja, and all the best players in the country came from far and wide to play there.

Who are the so called worthy hands you are refering to in the three peat period. Besides pippen, none of those players could do anything without Jordan in their mist.

please continue in my next post.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
Eruditor:
Nairamaniac,

You are talking of Kobe staying in Charlotte. When Kobe was drafted by Lakers in 96, they were not a great team. They just got a shaq from Orlando that was just swept by the bulls. They were not a great team,but a rebuilding-team. Can you compare what Lakers were in the league when Kobe went there to what the GSW are as at today that Durant is going there?

You are talking of Kobe winning rings in his early years. Guy, there's a big/huge difference between leading your team to win rings and being led to win rings.

During the first few years of championships in Lakers between 2000 and 2002, Kobe was too small in the mist of Shaq, Duncan and Iverson. These 3 were leading their teams. Kobe was being led.

When Lakers met 76's in the 2000 finals, it was called David vs Goliath. No one and I repeat "no one" places Kobe in that conversation. Kobe later gained his respect and solidified his greatness when he finally led Lakers without shaq.

If shaq had stayed and continued leading them in NBA finals, Kobe would have just been a pippen to shaq.

Weather Kobe asked to be traded or not because he needed help, bottom line is that he stayed and won rings in the same team. How many all stars came to help him out? Besides pau Gasol who had made it once. Wd you really see Lamar or artest as great players that were enough to encourage him to stay to compliment him as much as himself, Robert Hurry and shaq did for themselves during their 3peat?
This shows that once again you failed in your attempt to validate Durant's need for help by equating it to Kobe's need for help that kept him in Lakers.

Get it right, I never said "every team he plays in gets to the finals".

I sed "Truth is there was/is no top10 team in the league Lebron would go to that wouldn't get to the finals or win the cham. We can't say the same of Steph or Durant".

Steph has been the better player for past one of two years. But you can't put a finger on how much influence he would be in Chicago bulls if he was traded for rose. But ohhh yes, out Lebron next to butler and Gasol and see if they wdnt become contenders?

Just so you know, I was never carried away to feel OKC was a better team than GSW when they tied the series. To me: it was good enough that OKC had found ways of playing against GSW better than previous team GSW faced. I watch movements in matches. Not final-scores and stats. I played basketball as a youth under some great big Nigerian coaches. Like coach Noic of islanders coach Mark of police bombers. These were coaches that taught us modern strategies at the time. Believe me, if you ever played basketball to a level u would see the game much better and clearer that what those stats and points say. I played in all major-courts in lagos. Rowpark yaba, cantonment Ikeja, airforce base, and my school Atlantic hall won secondery school tournaments. Only american international school (AIS) was better than us. We played the game like foreign high schools.
So believe me, when I say these things, I'm not speaking as a fan or observer of stats and scores. I see the game as a player and one taught by good coaches.

I'm not a fan of mourinho, but let's give him his due respect for curbing Barca's dominance in like 3 different teams. You always want to refer to scores and victories. That's the mistake you make. Do you realise that it was mourinho that gave other coaches/teams the template on how to play barca and to an extent Spanish national team?

Good teams started marking barce defenders and midfielders quicker so they are forced to make "fast" rather than "slowly"

Barca like spain are more dangerous when they pass and build up from their defence/midfield at a slow rhythm. When u force them to play and move fast, u have neutralised them. This was what made xavi redundant in his last 2 seasons in barca and last world cup.
Take it or leave it, mourinho started this.

And yes, lastly I reiterate, "never been the type to measure greatness with rings. I would always put strength of character, aura of positive influence and unequalled charisma over Rings, anytime, any day."

please continue in my next post below

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:44pm On Jul 09, 2016
Eruditor:
Nairamaniac,

continued from my post above.

And yes, lastly I reiterate, "never been the type to measure greatness with rings. I would always put strength of character, aura of positive influence and unequalled charisma over Rings, anytime, any day."

He may not have had all that but he was getting there. This was the first playoffs in the last 2 or 3 seasons that himself and Westbrook were both fully fit.

And besides OKC was in a position to become at worst the 2nd best team in the west rather than 4th or 5th that they were for several years.

Duncan, ginobli's impending retirement and Parker's decline WD have weakened spurs for some years.

Dallas miscalculation with DeAndre Jordan would hurt them for at least 3 more years.

Lakers have no one to build their team around like Kobe or magic or shaq or Kareem in order to go for Chips.

Clippers don't have outright scorers. Blake Griffen would end up becoming a Scottie pippen player. Good at everything but not scoring. Cris Paul would keep on being a john Stockton. But cannot go on scoring-sprees like Russell, curry, lillard, Irving. Deandre would keep on being being hacked to miss free throws in crunch times.

I tell you, the only threat the OKC had in the west was Golden-state. And Golden state wouldnt beat OKC for 3 straight year.

In one of those years, OKC would have gotten to NBA finals. I'm not a witch. But these things were glaring.

Iv sed mine. You have sed yours.

I wdnt turn this to a debate any further. I WD leave it all for the house to decide.

Afterall We both can never be 100% right.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2016
Eruditor:

OKC over achieved last season. It is that simple.

Making the WCf is an over achievement?
Like it is something they haven't done before.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 10:07pm On Jul 09, 2016
SIRcumalot:

Making the WCf is an over achievement?
Like it is something they haven't done before.

I tire for the guy (eruditor). abeg help me ask am who else would have stopped them?
when last have both Westbrook and Durant been fit in same season/playoffs?

The only team that could have stopped them was spurs. And they had lost their 3leaders to old age. Leonard and Aldridge can't lead for now like Duncan, Parker and Ginobli.

please who else could have stopped OKC?
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
Decale:

You guys will still get to the finals. Winning another one is an entirely different discourse
I'll always respect any decision made by the cavs, but I think bringin in old players isnt worth it, esp when we face the warriors in finals. Even if we dont get a superstar, we shld go for young role players.

Warriors startin 5 is my problem cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 10:44pm On Jul 09, 2016
aliondo:

Thanx. I appreciate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) ... (2207) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 225
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.