Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,806 members, 7,817,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1627470 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (2209) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 11:50am On Jul 20, 2016
A40:

Why are you comparing two extremes? Who in today's NBA would go over a decade making just $100k

Gbagbe! Rings is the currency of transaction among the greats. Your guy LeBron ran from Cleveland to Miami back to Cleveland with the primary aim of Championships. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Durant knows the clock is ticking and has made his move.

Infact it is smarter to do it in your youth than to start embarrassingly chasing it during Father Time like Malone, Payton Barkley

Yeah its extreme. Its the old fame vs fortune argument. Russel is nba royalty number 1 vs Tmac the underachiever.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 6:54pm On Jul 20, 2016
A40:

Its a team sport but you have players that clearly standout. The whole All-NBA First Team is overrated IMO. Making any All-NBA team is dominance in itself. If we check the numbers by position the difference is usually marginal.

Skills and abilities are great but I also look at performances in pressure cooker situations. This where Dirk stood out from Barkley, Malone IMO
You are correct to a very large extent on ALL-NBA first team being overrated. Especially when you compare the players by position. For instance, last season Westbrook made 1st team, but Durant didnt due to Lebron and kawhi in the 1st team.
But that didn't mean Westbrook was better than Durant.
So my brother, you are right up there.

But Malone making the 1st team like 10 years in a stretch and making all defensive team like 5times, should tell a lot about how great he was.

Let's don't get into debates again. Cos u totally convinced me that its very debatable.

But just one question I would ask you:
If Dallas didn't win that championship for one reason or the other, would you have placed Dirk this highly? Even if he(as an individual may have performed so well in those pressure cooker situations (to borrow your words)?

I ask this, cos Malone performed sooo well in both finals vs bulls. To me, also as good as dirk did against miami.

Even their individual stats were quite close as can be seen in the image file.

That's if u want to judge with stats. But not me, I judged with real-time, in their cases against their respective opponents in those finals.

That Utah lost both finals, didn't mean dirk was better against Miami.

The only case you can make for Dirk in that final ahead of Malone, is that Malone had better supporting-cast, which I'm thankful to you that you brought to my notice.

So I ask again:

If Dallas didn't win that championship for one reason or the other, would you have placed Dirk this highly?

If your answer is no, then those like me, Decale, Birdman and SmooshCHN are in correct order, to say "skillset" trumps "rings".

The only ways to acertain this is by either watching their games either in real time, repeat-broadcasts, clips and documentaries.

I was blessd to watch Malone play. And I tell you. He was actually the second most proficient scorer for like 2 to 3 years in the league after Jordan.
Don't get carried away by what john Stockton's assist number may say. Giving people the idea that Malone's proficiency was as a result of Stockton's assists.

I can tell you, Malone both created those shots himself and made perfect runs/openings for those assists.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 7:43pm On Jul 20, 2016
@nairamaniac Don't get carried away by what john Stockton's assist number may say. Giving people the idea that Malone's proficiency was as a result of Stockton's assists. I can tell you, Malone both created those shots himself and made perfect runs/ openings for those assists.
great stuff. i think he was averaging 20 with the Lakers at age forty.
Re: The NBA Begins by SagePAUL(m): 12:25pm On Jul 21, 2016
if there is a whatsapp group for this thread add me 08185734449 grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 23, 2016
With the move of Durant to the Warriors, I was tempted to belittle him as a player. Until I saw the recent game Us vs Argentina. Dammm!!!
Dude reminded me why I was so fond of him 2-3 years ago.

I do not appreciate the move. But truth be told, there is no way GSW will not get the championship at least this year.

I'm so sad. I have no motivation to watch this season...
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 8:23pm On Jul 23, 2016
Remember the birdman - Chris Andersen. He is reunited with his former buddy.

http://eneprom..com.ng/2016/07/nba-cleveland-cavaliers-sign-chris.html?m=1

I think the tattoo just makes a lot of guys scared of him.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:13am On Jul 24, 2016
nairamaniac:

But Malone making the 1st team like 10 years in a stretch and making all defensive team like 5times, should tell a lot about how great he was.

Let's don't get into debates again. Cos u totally convinced me that its very debatable.

But just one question I would ask you:
If Dallas didn't win that championship for one reason or the other, would you have placed Dirk this highly? Even if he(as an individual may have performed so well in those pressure cooker situations (to borrow your words)?

I ask this, cos Malone performed sooo well in both finals vs bulls. To me, also as good as dirk did against miami.

Even their individual stats were quite close as can be seen in the image file.

That's if u want to judge with stats. But not me, I judged with real-time, in their cases against their respective opponents in those finals.

That Utah lost both finals, didn't mean dirk was better against Miami.

The only case you can make for Dirk in that final ahead of Malone, is that Malone had better supporting-cast, which I'm thankful to you that you brought to my notice.

So I ask again:

If Dallas didn't win that championship for one reason or the other, would you have placed Dirk this highly?

If your answer is no, then those like me, Decale, Birdman and SmooshCHN are in correct order, to say "skillset" trumps "rings".

The only ways to acertain this is by either watching their games either in real time, repeat-broadcasts, clips and documentaries.

I was blessd to watch Malone play. And I tell you. He was actually the second most proficient scorer for like 2 to 3 years in the league after Jordan.
Don't get carried away by what john Stockton's assist number may say. Giving people the idea that Malone's proficiency was as a result of Stockton's assists.

I can tell you, Malone both created those shots himself and made perfect runs/openings for those assists.
Malone was great but I look at the competition in his era. I don't know if he has that run competing with Dirk, K.G, Duncan

Its all a matter of preference. I had Dirk at par with Malone even before he won a ring. The West is much tougher now than it was in the Malone era. Now if it comes to skill set over rings then Tim Duncan has no business being rated as the best Power Forward of all time because the likes of Malone and Dirk certainly have superior skill set.

The most skilled team does not always win and that is why a certain balance of productivity, skills and overall achievement is how to evaluate a player's greatness.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 7:59am On Jul 24, 2016
A40,
aside from shooting what skill set does Dirk possess that will make you put him over Duncan if we go by skill alone.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:03pm On Jul 24, 2016
SIRcumalot:
A40,
aside from shooting what skill set does Dirk possess that will make you put him over Duncan if we go by skill alone.
He can put the ball on the floor. Definitely a better dribbler and scorer than Duncan. Duncan is better on defense. (rebounding, blocks)

Speaking of Dirk looks like he's potentially up for another cool $10m
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 2:22pm On Jul 24, 2016
A40:

He can put the ball on the floor. Definitely a better dribbler and scorer than Duncan. Duncan is better on defense. (rebounding, blocks)

Speaking of Dirk looks like he's potentially up for another cool $10m
better $50mill for two years
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:16am On Jul 25, 2016
Kenekene1:
Remember the birdman - Chris Andersen. He is reunited with his former buddy.

http://eneprom..com.ng/2016/07/nba-cleveland-cavaliers-sign-chris.html?m=1

I think the tattoo just makes a lot of guys scared of him.

birdman fan here all day. But at 38, I wonder how much he can contribute. His major asset was blocking shots and scoring without any plays set for him, mostly by cleaning up missed shots or just hanging around the rim at the right time, even a fastbreak or two every game, and yeah, his D was legit. But I have to think his hops are nothing like they were 4 years ago.

than again, he has always been something of an athletic freak
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:38am On Jul 25, 2016
A40:

Malone was great but I look at the competition in his era. I don't know if he has that run competing with Dirk, K.G, Duncan

Its all a matter of preference. I had Dirk at par with Malone even before he won a ring. The West is much tougher now than it was in the Malone era. Now if it comes to skill set over rings then Tim Duncan has no business being rated as the best Power Forward of all time because the likes of Malone and Dirk certainly have superior skill set.

The most skilled team does not always win and that is why a certain balance of productivity, skills and overall achievement is how to evaluate a player's greatness.

Nice one. I can't really say which of the era was more competitive between Dirk&Malone's. But I think I would go for Malone's era in terms of competitetiveness.

There's no way he would have had such runs competiting with Duncan, Dirk and KG, cos these players came into the league towards the end of Malone's reign.

Malone's reign should be between 1989 to 1998. Those were the years he was in top-form. He had a lot of competition thru those years in the names of Charles Barkley, Shawn Kemp, Chris Webber. These were great players. All three of them. Even if they may not have had the same longivity as Dirk's rivals did.

Would also like to bring to your notice that the power-forward position and center was more physical and rougher back then, with players like Dennis rodman and Anthony mason in the paint, unlike Dirk's era.

Malone made the skillfull Power forwards like Webber, Shawn Kemp and Barkley look mediocre.

(I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chris Webber amongst the great power forwards). Maybe not Top 5 ever. But not far off the mark. He was really really good.

On the other hand, Malone made those rough/strong Power Forwards like Dennis Rodman and Anthony Mason look like chickens.
In all 6 games agains bulls Malone out-rebounded Dennis rodman In 98finals. No one else could ever do that against The worm. I'm not referring to stats. I'm talking from how weak he made Dennis seem in that paint whenever they were both in there.

You can't compare the physicality of that position of this era to that? The only advantage this era has to that, is that the PF of this recent generation are more stretched( stretch 4). Dirk, Bosh and Gasol.

You are right to say Tim Duncan has no skill set as much as Malone or Dirk. But where Duncan beats them all are his Fundamentals and basketball I.q.
Those two things alone beats skill sets.

Added to that, Duncan used the back board to shoot better than any player in history. Scoring off the board is much easier than doing it straight to the bucket. Especially from the sides(45degrees). And those were Duncan's sweet spots. Duncan was a perfectionist. Kept it simple but perfect.
Duncan to that position is John Stockton and Chris Paul to point Guard position.

Since you said u had Dirk at par with Malone before the rings, den I must say I owe u an apology. I thot the ring made u place him that high. It makes sence for you to place Dirk over Malone after that ring, because achievement is definitely a factor.
But when you look back and count how many years Malone did all he did at the top, you shd have no excuse then to return them to either bring at par or place Malone back to above dirk.

But like you said "its also a matter of preference". I can't take dat away from you.

I must also add that: I wish i had known you for many years before now.
Your analysis of the game and perspective is just genius and beautiful.
Its almost impossible for anyone to completely disagree with you. I can only learn or add.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:54am On Jul 25, 2016
LoJ:
With the move of Durant to the Warriors, I was tempted to belittle him as a player. Until I saw the recent game Us vs Argentina. Dammm!!!
Dude reminded me why I was so fond of him 2-3 years ago.

I do not appreciate the move. But truth be told, there is no way GSW will not get the championship at least this year.

I'm so sad. I have no motivation to watch this season...

Durant has always been great. Just that the move makes him seem like the bride. Rather than the groom.
Let me add some humour to this. This shouldnt instigate another round of feud:
But for those that may say "Lebron was also the bride wen he went to Miami". The answer is "no".
Lebron was both:
1) The bride and
2) The wedding-planner.
He may have gotten there as the bride. But he screwed the hell out of the groom(wade). Outclassed his co-bride(bosh) from the beginning. Then divorced the entire organization and left them broke&importent.
They are still yet to recover from such divorce. They would forever regret not signing the prenup.
Let's go down to history, the hottest brides are the ones that leave their husbands all messed up while they keep on balling like nothing ever happened. E.g Elizabeth Taylor, j-lo, Madonna.
We can add Lebron to this HOTLIST.

Durant would just be another Jennifer aniston. The girl next door. The one who leaves and Brad Pitt doesn't even remember he was once married be4 jolie.

Na yab I dey o. grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 10:17am On Jul 25, 2016
SIRcumalot:
A40,
Good question.

Besides shooting, nothing else really. Both Duncan and Malone had multiple moves to the rim than dirk.
Duncan's calm and expressionless demenor makes us kind of underates his skill set. Dirk has just shooting accuracies and nice fade-aways ahead of Malone and Duncan.

Malone has a better Thripple-Threat than both of them.
Thripple-Threat is a deadly skill-set in the game.

Karl Anthony Towns is the prototype of Malone. And the brother has got moves.

But tk nuffing from A40. Its very arguable.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:45am On Jul 25, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
better $50mill for two years
Lol we are saying the same thing though only $30m is completely guaranteed. $25m for next season and $5m extra for 17-18 whether he plays or not
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 5:52pm On Jul 25, 2016
birdman:

birdman fan here all day. But at 38, I wonder how much he can contribute. His major asset was blocking shots and scoring without any plays set for him, mostly by cleaning up missed shots or just hanging around the rim at the right time, even a fastbreak or two every game, and yeah, his D was legit. But I have to think his hops are nothing like they were 4 years ago.

than again, he has always been something of an athletic freak

At 38, he will surely not have it like in his twenties but then, these guys evolve their game with the passage of time.

If he can have an average of 8 mins per game nxt season and bring dat freakish side, he may just live Cleveland fans drooling.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:27pm On Jul 26, 2016
nairamaniac:

Nice one. I can't really say which of the era was more competitive between Dirk&Malone's. But I think I would go for Malone's era in terms of competitetiveness.

There's no way he would have had such runs competiting with Duncan, Dirk and KG, cos these players came into the league towards the end of Malone's reign.
I don't really know if Malone's era was more competitive. I can understand why you might feel that way but bear in mind Dirk's competition had 3 MVP's between them

nairamaniac:

Malone's reign should be between 1989 to 1998. Those were the years he was in top-form. He had a lot of competition thru those years in the names of Charles Barkley, Shawn Kemp, Chris Webber. These were great players. All three of them. Even if they may not have had the same longivity as Dirk's rivals did.
Exactly. Especially a guy like Kemp. Malone was a great player. He reinvented the Power Forward position. I just think he had it a bit easier
competition wise

nairamaniac:

Would also like to bring to your notice that the power-forward position and center was more physical and rougher back then, with players like Dennis rodman and Anthony mason in the paint, unlike Dirk's era.

Malone made the skillfull Power forwards like Webber, Shawn Kemp and Barkley look mediocre.
Malone was a pretty big dude. 6'9. Taller and significantly heavier than Dennis Rodman. On a very good day he ought to dominate Rodman and Mason

I wouldn't say Malone made Barkley look mediocre. Barkley was the more efficient scorer

nairamaniac:

In all 6 games agains bulls Malone out-rebounded Dennis rodman In 98finals. No one else could ever do that against The worm. I'm not referring to stats. I'm talking from how weak he made Dennis seem in that paint whenever they were both in there.
Remember two things. Dennis Rodman was 37, the size advantage.

It is true Rodman won the rebounding title that year but Malone was an elite rebounder. On the defensive end few were better.

nairamaniac:

You can't compare the physicality of that position of this era to that? The only advantage this era has to that, is that the PF of this recent generation are more stretched( stretch 4). Dirk, Bosh and Gasol.
The league was fairly physical in Dirk's early years. Handchecking didn't stop till like 04 or 05. I think the influx of Europeans into the game gave birth to more bigs refining their game. The physicality reduced but we have PFs these days that do more and create more problems for a defense. Physicality of little use without results

nairamaniac:

You are right to say Tim Duncan has no skill set as much as Malone or Dirk. But where Duncan beats them all are his Fundamentals and basketball I.q.
Those two things alone beats skill sets.
You are absolutely right. He was boringly efficient and maintained a rare type of consistency on both ends of the floor. But for Kobe and Shaq he coulda won 7 rings

nairamaniac:

Since you said u had Dirk at par with Malone before the rings, den I must say I owe u an apology. I thot the ring made u place him that high. It makes sence for you to place Dirk over Malone after that ring, because achievement is definitely a factor.
But when you look back and count how many years Malone did all he did at the top, you shd have no excuse then to return them to either bring at par or place Malone back to above dirk.
But like you said "its also a matter of preference". I can't take dat away from you.
My one big issue with Malone is that he is usually very good but not great come playoff time. He got to 3 finals (two in his prime) but with his size and regular season dominance I feel like he could have gotten to more Finals in a weaker West, secondly his numbers usually tended to dip in the playoffs. He was averaging 25pts per game over the regular season for his career, one would have expected that with fewer games in the playoffs his average should be higher but instead its lower. Compare it to guys like M.J who goes from 30 to 33pts and Dirk who jumps from 22 to 25

nairamaniac:

I must also add that: I wish i had known you for many years before now.
Your analysis of the game and perspective is just genius and beautiful.
Its almost impossible for anyone to completely disagree with you. I can only learn or add.
Steel sharpeneth steel. I respect your stance on Malone as well and its helped me appreciate his abilities a little more. He like Dirk also had good but not great teammates
Re: The NBA Begins by Jack188: 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2016
Hello, guys! What about betting on basketball? I'd like to get some tips and advice from you for me, because I am a total beginner. But there is one thing really... I've just come to know from https://playinglegal.com that betting is not really legal in my state where I live, but I can play some Fantasy Sports instead. Do you have some tactics with it?
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 3:48pm On Jul 30, 2016
Did Dwyane Wade pull a Durant on Miami Heat?

He calls Chicago Bulls "home".

http://eneprom..com.ng/2016/07/nba-sorry-miami-heat-fans-dwyane-wade.html?m=1

Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 3:57pm On Jul 30, 2016
Kenekene1:

Accomplishments with Miami Heat.

Miami Heat all-time leading scorer.

Three time NBA Champion (2006, 2012, 2013).
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 3:58pm On Jul 30, 2016
Kenekene1:

Dude this was like 3 weeks ago
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 4:00pm On Jul 30, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Dude this was like 3 weeks ago

I ain't talk about when he left MiamI Heat. He was introduced to the press yesterday as a Chicago bulls player.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:53pm On Jul 30, 2016
Kenekene1:

It is his home literally

He's from Chi-Town
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 9:55pm On Jul 30, 2016
Warriors add Javale Mcgee 2 time Shaqtin a fool MVP grin grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Weah96: 1:24am On Jul 31, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
Warriors add Javale Mcgee 2 time Shaqtin a fool MVP grin grin

They don't feel like winning again. Javale is a freak athlete with no common sense.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:04am On Jul 31, 2016
I bet he woulda done a better job than Ezeli and that wasteman Varejao

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 12:57pm On Jul 31, 2016
A40:
I bet he woulda done a better job than Ezeli and that wasteman Varejao
Hahahahaha.. Today I watched the Finals Highlight from Game 1 to Game 7.. Anyone who didn't know we were up 3-1 would have just thought we didn't want to win.. I'll forever blame Kerr for that last crucial minute stupid substitution he made when he put Barnes and Ezeli.. Players who can't make their own shots or even just do their primary role are Liabilities..

With Curry, Klay, Green, Thompson, Iguodala, Durant, Livingston, Zaza Pachulia, David West, and JaVale, and the loss of the finals. I believe we're safe next season. Kerr, Curry and Green have learnt the hardest way.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Hahahahaha.. Today I watched the Finals Highlight from Game 1 to Game 7.. Anyone who didn't know we were up 3-1 would have just thought we didn't want to win.. I'll forever blame Kerr for that last crucial minute stupid substitution he made when he put Barnes and Ezeli.. Players who can't make their own shots or even just do their primary role are Liabilities..

With Curry, Klay, Green, Thompson, Iguodala, Durant, Livingston, Zaza Pachulia, David West, and JaVale, and the loss of the finals. I believe we're safe next season. Kerr, Curry and Green have learnt the hardest way.
Lol when a team is down you just have to finish the job. Guys didn't finish work. You had role players who couldn't do the basics never mind perform beyond their usual level. Those years the Heat won rings they had lots of contributions from guys like Norris Cole, Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller, Battier e.t.c

Its a good thing the Warriors cleared their bench of the duds on it and the $94m guy too, well except for the fact that they got the wrong Brazilian

The good thing about the Durant signing is that the minutes can be staggered between the Big 4. Once they can get the right combination. You can have a Durant/Steph or Klay playing with the bench unit and there is minimal drop in its production

Durant is such an upgrade its not even funny, defensively as well. He has improved a lot and offloading the chaff for him was a no-brainer

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:52pm On Jul 31, 2016
espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17186272/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-apologizes-picture-penis

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Draymond don wound me oh. Devu is working overtime in that ninja's life

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (2209) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.