Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,715 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (345) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1631011 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) ... (2212) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 7:52pm On Jul 31, 2016
^^

Your dislike for Barnes is legendary. grin

He seems improved in this Olympics team and has been playing more aggressive. He may be a great addition to your Dallas team.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:02pm On Jul 31, 2016
Eruditor:
^^

Your dislike for Barnes is legendary. grin

He seems improved in this Olympics team and has been playing more aggressive. He may be a great addition to your Dallas team.
I will not make judgements on the back of games vs China and Venezuela. He could still come good I am not God

However I have observed him to be a terribly average player for quite sometime and he proved me right in spectacular fashion
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:32am On Aug 01, 2016
D. Green can't stay out of trouble!!!! First, he claimed his account was hacked, then subsequently confessed to have hit the wrong button which posted his private part on snap chat.
Re: The NBA Begins by Skywalker5(m): 5:34am On Aug 01, 2016
Have a feeling green might be traded next year or end up like Iverson. No team would want him.he is already tarnishing the good boy image of the warriors.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:20pm On Aug 01, 2016
Roland17:
D. Green can't stay out of trouble!!!! First, he claimed his account was hacked, then subsequently confessed to have hit the wrong button which posted his private part on snap chat.

The guy needs help. He is 26 and shouldn't be playing country dumb on and off the court
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:26pm On Aug 01, 2016
Nigeria vs Team USA

Are we losing by less or more than 30?

Skywalker5:
Have a feeling green might be traded next year or end up like Iverson. No team would want him.he is already tarnishing the good boy image of the warriors.
They probably wouldn't. He does too much for them plus the Warriors are a pretty hip outfit. Their audience is multi-layered and heck their President and COO na gay
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 1:51pm On Aug 01, 2016
Lol.. Nothing is going to happen. The only rule he broke was public disturbance cheesy. Who never send nudes before? cheesy He just keeps messing up himself but he'll grow up.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 4:15pm On Aug 01, 2016
A40:

I don't really know if Malone's era was more competitive. I can understand why you might feel that way but bear in mind Dirk's competition had 3 MVP's between them

Exactly. Especially a guy like Kemp. Malone was a great player. He reinvented the Power Forward position. I just think he had it a bit easier
competition wise

Malone was a pretty big dude. 6'9. Taller and significantly heavier than Dennis Rodman. On a very good day he ought to dominate Rodman and Mason

I wouldn't say Malone made Barkley look mediocre. Barkley was the more efficient scorer

Remember two things. Dennis Rodman was 37, the size advantage.

It is true Rodman won the rebounding title that year but Malone was an elite rebounder. On the defensive end few were better.

The league was fairly physical in Dirk's early years. Handchecking didn't stop till like 04 or 05. I think the influx of Europeans into the game gave birth to more bigs refining their game. The physicality reduced but we have PFs these days that do more and create more problems for a defense. Physicality of little use without results

You are absolutely right. He was boringly efficient and maintained a rare type of consistency on both ends of the floor. But for Kobe and Shaq he coulda won 7 rings

My one big issue with Malone is that he is usually very good but not great come playoff time. He got to 3 finals (two in his prime) but with his size and regular season dominance I feel like he could have gotten to more Finals in a weaker West, secondly his numbers usually tended to dip in the playoffs. He was averaging 25pts per game over the regular season for his career, one would have expected that with fewer games in the playoffs his average should be higher but instead its lower. Compare it to guys like M.J who goes from 30 to 33pts and Dirk who jumps from 22 to 25

Steel sharpeneth steel. I respect your stance on Malone as well and its helped me appreciate his abilities a little more. He like Dirk also had good but not great teammates

Yeah. You are right. Dirk's era was more competitive in terms of mvp's he had to face in his position.
But I'm looking at it from the physicality in general of the era that Malone faced.
The officiating was more lenient then with rough-markings.
I totally kind of agree with u as regards Malone having it a bit easier wt competition he faced.
But where u didn't address in ur last response was your initial criticism that "Malone didn't have such runs into the era of dirk, kg and Duncan". And my response was that "they got into the league towards d end of Malone's reign"

Like u agreed, Malone dominated mason and dennis rodman. Due to his size height and being younger than Dennis. But I saw Dennis and mason not being dominated in the paint by bigger players like shaq, Ewing and Kemp.
That tells u there was something special bout Malone just beyond mere-strength or size.

I don't need to check up stats to compare who was the more efficient scoring between Malone and Barkley. But Barkley came no where close to Malone in that regard.
Malone was the 2nd best scoring after Jordan on one on one situations for several season. And no one else ever came that close to Jordan besides Malone.

Truely,like u sed, Malone shd have gotten to more finals than he did. I think what happened to Utah was that they got their teams locked down too early in the careers of Stockton and Malone. As at 1993 it was obvious they couldn't absorb external help for scoring duties besides Malone.

Its wrong to be disappointed with Malone to failed getting to more finals than he did. No other great player from the west got to the finals more than twice in the 90's. From Barkley, David Robinson, Hakeem, Clyde Drexler, Shaq. You name it. None led their teams to more than one or two finals in the 90's. The west to me was also competitive. Especially with teams being led by their centers and power forwards.
All in all I agree with you Malone shd have stepped up his scoring in playoffs like other greats like Jordan and Dirk.
You know why I wdnt really use that singular season dirk won the finals to place him over Malone?
He did it against a Miami that hadn't found their rhythm. I watched Miami played thru that regular season and I told friends they wouldn't go anywhere with the way they were playing. Lebron was leaving too much for wade to do. At times they were deliberately take turns to score. Lebron seemed like he was cautious of not stealing the team from wade.
Fine Dallas had a great run to the finals. I think they even swept Lakers and beat Trashed Thunder 4 games to 1.
But western conference run's aside, they met a Miami that wasn't ready.
Their no way in hell that Dallas team would have beaten either 2012 or 2013 Miami.
Lebron had wifed both Wade and Bosh by then.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2016
[in mind Dirk's c quote author=A40 post=47906926]
I don't really know if Malone's era was more competitive. I can understand why you might feel that way but bear ompetition had 3 MVP's between them

Exactly. Especially a guy like Kemp. Malone was a great player. He reinvented the Power Forward position. I just think he had it a bit easier
competition wise

Malone was a pretty big dude. 6'9. Taller and significantly heavier than Dennis Rodman. On a very good day he ought to dominate Rodman and Mason

I wouldn't say Malone made Barkley look mediocre. Barkley was the more efficient scorer

It is true Rodman won the rebounding title that year but Malone was an elite rebounder. On the defensive end few were better.

The league was fairly physical in Dirk's early years. Handchecking didn't stop till like 04 or 05. I think the influx of Europeans into the game gave birth to more bigs refining their game. The physicality reduced but we have PFs these days that do more and create more problems for a defense. Physicality of little use without results

You are absolutely right. He was boringly efficient and maintained a rare type of consistency on both ends of the floor. But for Kobe and Shaq he coulda won 7 rings

My one big issue with Malone is that he is usually very good but not great come playoff time. He got to 3 finals (two in his prime) but with his size and regular season dominance I feel like he could have gotten to more Finals in a weaker West, secondly his numbers usually tended to dip in the playoffs. He was averaging 25pts per game over the regular season for his career, one would have expected that with fewer games in the playoffs his average should be higher but instead its lower. Compare it to guys like M.J who goes from 30 to 33pts and Dirk who jumps from 22 to 25

Steel sharpeneth steel. I respect your stance on Malone as well and its helped me appreciate his abilities a little more. He like Dirk also had good but not great teammates [/quote]

Continued:
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 4:29pm On Aug 01, 2016
A40:

I don't really know if Malone's era was more competitive. I can understand why you might feel that way but bear in mind Dirk's competition had 3 MVP's between them

competition wise

Steel sharpeneth steel. I respect your stance on Malone as well and its helped me appreciate his abilities a little more. He like Dirk also had good but not great teammates

Continued:

This still goes back to my point that at times, rings can be misleading to validate greatness. Though Truely, leading a team to win a ring is an edge over another player who couldnt/didn't lead his team to the same.
Since you and I have agreed on what dirk and Malone had in common in their careers, that they had "good but not great teammates". I would take it that the Constance between both players was that they did it almost all alone in leading their teams to where they got to season in, season out. Especially in the scoring/offensive departments.

Where I WD have taken dirk over Malone is if he led Dallas against to a "ready made" Miami and beat them even if it was once out of two attempts.
Or he single handedly lead Dallas to two straight finals out of the west.

Now compare this; Dirk never led mavericks to conference finals in his career, besides 3occasions. Meanwyl, Malone led jazz on like 6 or 7 occasions to the conference finals.
They both faced similar adversities. No scoring assitance, competitive wests etc.
Only difference to me was that dirk was lucky to meet an unprepared miami in 2011.
While Malone met a God in Jordan for two straight finals.
And o pleeeaze, 2004 finals doesn't count against Malone. He wasn't their first 3 option in that team.
And was overdue for retirement by then. That was his 18th or 19th season. What did we expect?

Well all in all I also respect your stance on Dirk over Malone.
Its indeed very arguable.
But all in all and from all I sed thus far. I would place Malone "slightly" ahead of Dirk.

Without all Iv learnt from you. Dirk wouldn't have been top3. I formerly had Barkley And Webber over him.
Thanks a lot.
I enjoying reading you guy's posts than going against you. You are guys can be a brain drain.
LOLAWILLIAMS, missing your posts down here.
Hope it wasn'snt one of these guys that bullied you out of here. grin

Guys take it easy on the ladies. They are you doing great.

Keep it up you all.
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 5:17pm On Aug 01, 2016
Roland17:

His irrational behaviours have been gathering pace since the postseason. Here is an article I wrote on his misdeeds.

http://eneprom..com.ng/2016/08/nba-another-mistake-from-draymond-green.html?m=1
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 5:19pm On Aug 01, 2016
Skywalker5:

His irrational behaviours have been gathering pace since the postseason. Here is an article I wrote on his misdeeds.

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:50pm On Aug 01, 2016
nairamaniac:

Where I WD have taken dirk over Malone is if he led Dallas against to a "ready made" Miami and beat them even if it was once out of two attempts.
Or he single handedly lead Dallas to two straight finals out of the west.

Now compare this; Dirk never led mavericks to conference finals in his career, besides 3occasions. Meanwyl, Malone led jazz on like 6 or 7 occasions to the conference finals.
They both faced similar adversities. No scoring assitance, competitive wests etc.
Only difference to me was that dirk was lucky to meet an unprepared miami in 2011.
While Malone met a God in Jordan for two straight finals.
And o pleeeaze, 2004 finals doesn't count against Malone. He wasn't their first 3 option in that team.
And was overdue for retirement by then. That was his 18th or 19th season. What did we expect?

Well all in all I also respect your stance on Dirk over Malone.
Its indeed very arguable.
But all in all and from all I sed thus far. I would place Malone "slightly" ahead of Dirk.

Without all Iv learnt from you. Dirk wouldn't have been top3. I formerly had Barkley And Webber over him.
I do not agree with the notion that Dirk and Malone faced similar adversity in the West. Lai lai!

Malone made 6 Conference Finals
Dirk played in 3. However for the most part of Dirk's stay in Dallas he contended with two behemoths that had 5 titles each between them. Not forgetting several other good teams like Golden State, Durant's OKC, Sacramento Kings, Nash and the Suns e.t.c. In Dirk's era the West was universally recognized as the tougher conference, in Malone's era the West was recognized as the WEAKER conference.

Whether the Heat were unprepared is subject to opinion, what is clear and pertinent to note is that the Heat were the better team

Wade and LeBron also were playing their second Finals so that unprepared argument is shaky. Dirk beat not 1 not 2 but 3 significantly younger stars

Dirk did not face Jordan but is a huge reason why Kobe didn't get another 3peat and that Lebron didn't either. And that is as close as it gets
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 10:10pm On Aug 01, 2016
A40:
Nigeria vs Team USA
Are we losing by less or more than 30?
Hahahahahahaha. Are you talking about first half?
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:31pm On Aug 01, 2016
nairamaniac:

Yeah. You are right. Dirk's era was more competitive in terms of mvp's he had to face in his position.
But I'm looking at it from the physicality in general of the era that Malone faced.
The officiating was more lenient then with rough-markings. I totally kind of agree with u as regards Malone having it a bit easier wt competition he faced.
But where u didn't address in ur last response was your initial criticism that "Malone didn't have such runs into the era of dirk, kg and Duncan". And my response was that "they got into the league towards d end of Malone's reign"

Like u agreed, Malone dominated mason and dennis rodman. Due to his size height and being younger than Dennis. But I saw Dennis and mason not being dominated in the paint by bigger players like shaq, Ewing and Kemp.
That tells u there was something special bout Malone just beyond mere-strength or size.

I don't need to check up stats to compare who was the more efficient scoring between Malone and Barkley. But Barkley came no where close to Malone in that regard.
Malone was the 2nd best scoring after Jordan on one on one situations for several season. And no one else ever came that close to Jordan besides Malone.

Truely,like u sed, Malone shd have gotten to more finals than he did. I think what happened to Utah was that they got their teams locked down too early in the careers of Stockton and Malone. As at 1993 it was obvious they couldn't absorb external help for scoring duties besides Malone.

Its wrong to be disappointed with Malone to failed getting to more finals than he did. No other great player from the west got to the finals more than twice in the 90's. From Barkley, David Robinson, Hakeem, Clyde Drexler, Shaq. You name it. None led their teams to more than one or two finals in the 90's. The west to me was also competitive. Especially with teams being led by their centers and power forwards.
All in all I agree with you Malone shd have stepped up his scoring in playoffs like other greats like Jordan and Dirk.
You know why I wdnt really use that singular season dirk won the finals to place him over Malone?
He did it against a Miami that hadn't found their rhythm. I watched Miami played thru that regular season and I told friends they wouldn't go anywhere with the way they were playing. Lebron was leaving too much for wade to do. At times they were deliberately take turns to score. Lebron seemed like he was cautious of not stealing the team from wade.
Fine Dallas had a great run to the finals. I think they even swept Lakers and beat Trashed Thunder 4 games to 1.
But western conference run's aside, they met a Miami that wasn't ready.
Their no way in hell that Dallas team would have beaten either 2012 or 2013 Miami.
Lebron had wifed both Wade and Bosh by then.

If we are talking about physicality I know for sure that Dirk is not a soft player. Also the league did not and has not had a uber man that can shoot quite like Dirk. Guarding Dirk would have been problematic for most of the other bigs who would need to leave their natural habitat to guard Dirk for the most part.

Duncan and Dirk were barely 2 years into the league. My point pretty much is Malone's run is impressive but Dirk had to contend with Tim Duncan (widely regarded as the greatest PF ever) and even Duncan a 2 time MVP also never matched Malone run

Maybe I was not lucid enough in my post. I'm saying a guy like Malone had all the tools to dominate on the boards. Size matters but quickness, anticipation, upper body strength can more than make up for a lack of size. Guys like Shaq, Ewing despite their size couldn't dominate Rodman cause they didn't have that combo. We saw it with Ben Wallace, Barkley who weren't the biggest we are seeing it with Westbrook and Green. Malone was 6'9 with the size of a Center and a shooting guard's quickness. That is what I always tell people who claim the league has never seen a guy like LeBron. Magic and Karl

Malone was the better scorer but Barkley shot at 54%. He was definitely more efficient

Malone in his peak should have gotten to more than 2 Finals. In particular he had no business losing that 94 conference finals. That Rockets team had Olajuwon and who else? Elie, Kenny Smith, Sam Cassell. Lol

What rhythm? Rhythm was never the issue. That Heat team conveniently beat the Bulls 4-1 in the Conference finals, btw the Bulls had the best regular season record that year. The Heat grossly underrated their opponents. Go and watch that series and count how many 4th quarter rallies and comebacks the Mavs made. Spoelstra got outcoached as well I might add

Beating the Heat is moot. J Kidd would have been 39, Jason Terry 35 the next year Dirk also 34. Did you expect these jolly band of geriatrics to beat the Heat again. Lmaooo. I wonder what preparation 7 year veterans need
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 11:27pm On Aug 01, 2016
lolawilliams:

wat time does it start Nigerian time
AL Farooq and Ezeli opted out of the Olympics cry
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 01, 2016
1) Dallas had no business winning that finals, but Dirk willed that team. End of discussion.

2) Those guys were old shawn marion, Jason Terry, Tyson Chandler, Dirk nowitzki, and Jason Kidd, they had no business coming back to the finals and rightly so.

3) No matter how much chemistry Mavs had, and even if cuban kept that team together, they were going to lOSE against miami three superstars. Period.

4) Did you just talk about chemistry? Stop trying to give excuses man, A team that came into the Nba finals does not lack chemistry, they just got outplayed. You don't win two games in a NBA finals if you lack chemistry. You don't win the Eastern Conference finals if you lack chemistry.

Cant believe someone just said that Miami team lacked rhythm, Heck, All i saw was Three cocky players who underrated a superstar.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:25am On Aug 02, 2016
lolawilliams:

This USA team have been good not great. Definitely not as good as the 2012 batch. Would be disappointed if we are down 30 at the half
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:15am On Aug 02, 2016
D'Tigers og
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 1:41am On Aug 02, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
1.00 AM. team USA are whooping D'Tigers right now. I heard that aminu has an issue with the team. I don't know about ezeli.
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 1:43am On Aug 02, 2016
A40:

This USA team have been good not great. Definitely not as good as the 2012 batch. Would be disappointed if we are down 30 at the half
With what i'm seein' now. lol lets keep watching
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 8:34am On Aug 02, 2016
lolawilliams:

1.00 AM. team USA are whooping D'Tigers right now. I heard that aminu has an issue with the team. I don't know about ezeli.
They are both out..... Ddn't watch the game expected a blow out... Smh 44 points embarassed
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 10:03am On Aug 02, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
They are both out..... Ddn't watch the game expected a blow out... Smh 44 points embarassed
Lool. Team USA never played hard, they were just joking around grin
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:03am On Aug 02, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
Heard they were told to insure them incase of injuries and Zika virus business. Trust your country nau insurance loun loun

lolawilliams:

With what i'm seein' now. lol lets keep watching
Lmao Ezeli and Aminu didn't play. Shoulda been closer
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 11:56am On Aug 02, 2016
A40:

Heard they were told to insure them incase of injuries and Zika virus business. Trust your country nau insurance loun loun
this country ehn lipsrsealed smh
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:06pm On Aug 02, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
this country ehn lipsrsealed smh
I saw some of our athletes opening gofundme accounts just to be able to afford to go to the Olympics. What a crying disgrace. Sometimes I'm ashamed to call myself a Nigerian
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 1:01pm On Aug 02, 2016
Kenekene1:

On the funny side.

Guys, take the advice of Camelo Anthony and Kevin Durant, if by chance you happen to get close to Draymond Green.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 1:44pm On Aug 02, 2016
A40:

I saw some of our athletes opening gofundme accounts just to be able to afford to go to the Olympics. What a crying disgrace. Sometimes I'm ashamed to call myself a Nigerian
do you know Nigeria refused to insure them for the afrobasket and the players decided to come like dat regardless.. So if they had incurred any injuries NA their wahala be that.

Now they tried the same thing going to the Olympics angry undecided
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:19pm On Aug 02, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
do you know Nigeria refused to insure them for the afrobasket and the players decided to come like dat regardless.. So if they had incurred any injuries NA their wahala be that.

Now they tried the same thing going to the Olympics angry undecided
Its pathetic. You have people that are trying to be patriotic and give service to this country but they make it so hard mehn. Its a given that if I had a kid that is an athlete under no circumstances would I let them represent Nigeria. It is not worth it

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:29pm On Aug 02, 2016
I expected some of our athletes to be wise and some of the top ones did. Knowing your value matters. I would for no reason play professionally for this country.. At the end of your days of suffering they do not give a damn.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:46am On Aug 05, 2016
A40:
espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17186272/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-apologizes-picture-penis

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Draymond don wound me oh. Devu is working overtime in that ninja's life

na wa o.... villagers don gather on top im matter grin
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:52am On Aug 05, 2016
in other news, westbrook staying in okc. I still find it hard to believe Durant would blindside Westbrook like that. Next season's thunder vs warriors gon be hot.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) ... (2212) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: greypencils and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.