Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,725 members, 7,955,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:02 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (348) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1721384 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) ... (2277) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 8:59am On Aug 20, 2016
Is Nick Young's future still with the Los Angeles Lakers

http://eneprom..com.ng/2016/08/nba-swaggy-p-on-shaky-grounds-in-los.html?m=1

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:38pm On Aug 20, 2016
There is a certain Je ne sais quoi that the best player in a generation would have. An "Umph" if you like it. It transcends winning rings or being the face of the league. It could be in his carriage, gait, disposition, aura, fear factor he controls, mentality, swagger- anything really. I still don't think Lebron has it (he is too insecure for it), but definitely the apparent lack of considerable and consistent opposition coupled with his stats belie my argument. So maybe he is for his generation. But indubitably, Kobe Bryant was the best in his generation.

First off, Tim is just too laid back for that role. He wouldn't even accept it if it was conferred on him. He was too simple, too tempered, too ordinary for how great he truly was. And Timmy didn't look like a fighter nor did he even control that fear factor. Sure, he had the mentality of a winner but examining Duncan critically would expose that layer that made him look like that straight-A student that went on to become the CEO of a big corporation, made a good living and just vamoosed afterwards. Manu Ginobili, who should somehow find his way into such conversations shares the same veneer of supernatural ordinariness that Timmy had.

Kobe is the major contrast. He was everywhere. He was that straight-A student that dated the prettiest girl in school, worked for that big corporation, started his own company or invested in some company that ended up making him a lot of money. He just refused to fade by never rejecting the limelight, wanting it. . . and being serendipitous. I mean the guy who looked fit 30 years after college even when everyone knew he ate junk and binge-drank everything he wasn't supposed to.

Protean with his life in and out of the court. Won titles, loved by some fans, loyal to his team, loathed by others. He epitomised the cliché "one whom everyone loved to hate". He polarised us enough to keep talking about him. He boasted, he fought and put his money where his mouth always seemed to be- above and beyond.

Most interesting of all is that unlike Tim, Kobe did the cheating. grin A real G cheats on his woman, no woman cheats on a real G, and no woman dares divorce one because she knows he owns the world including the very one she is living in. (JOKE OH!)

Perhaps part of why I seem to be inarticulate about why Kobe is the best of his generation is because I really do not know. But I am sure many others will pick him over Timmy and like me, not be able to explain why.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 1:49pm On Aug 20, 2016
flowery words,eruditor
but kobe isn't "indubitably" the best not as long as Duncan,KG and dirk exist in the same generation.
his appeal lies in his sheer strength of personality that as created a cult of followers that glorifies his every move and gloss over his fault,
you just did,even though you hid behind humor.
Duncan isn't polarising and comes across boring.
but the intangible cloak you shroud kobe with,he has it too,only he also has a very physical one to show to the world too.
so those that pick him has the best player can point to it and say look see and tell me why this isn't the best player of his time.

examining Duncan critically would expose that layer that made him look like that straightA student that went on to become the CEO of a big corporation, made a good living and just vamoosed afterwards
oh
and i'll like to see you try the bolded.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 12:54am On Aug 21, 2016
eruditor, shuo. na you dey write poetry like this? on top kobe and duncan? name fits na tongue
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 12:56am On Aug 21, 2016
“Well, I think every decision is different. My decision to leave Cleveland to go to Miami and then go back is different from Kevin Durant leaving OKC (home of the Oklahoma City Thunder) and going to the Warriors. It’s different from Shaq (Shaquille O’Neal) leaving Orlando and going to the (Los Angeles) Lakers. It’s different from Michael (Jordan) retiring, coming back, retiring, coming back, and then going to the (Washington) Wizards. So I think every decision is different, and how much you have invested in that player, I guess, or how much you feel for that player is how you’re going to react. So everyone is different.”

Lebron, when asked about how Durant leaving to GSW is different from leaving to Heat. Ol boy, the guy don practice this statement tey...no need to give ammo to fans that are already half crazy grin
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 5:40am On Aug 21, 2016
birdman:

Lebron, when asked about how Durant leaving to GSW is different from leaving to Heat. Ol boy, the guy don practice this statement tey...no need to give ammo to fans that are already half crazy grin
He knew not to cross the line cheesy

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Naijasports: 7:49pm On Aug 21, 2016
Basketball - Olympics Final Serbia - USA (live Now: 7:45pm)

http://www.kwallon.com/basketball-olympics-serbia-usa/
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 8:45pm On Aug 21, 2016
Durant going off.. Still can't believe I'll be watching him in the Gold and Yellow Jersey next season. Mizzzbeee come and see Durant oo
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 21, 2016
A40 come see disrespect to Harrison Barnes. He is terrible

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:01am On Aug 22, 2016
Donlittle:
Even his colleagues know he is kaka. I don't know what Cuban was thinking. I watch Shark Tank and I wonder if its the same Mark Cuban
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 7:04am On Aug 22, 2016
Donlittle:
his warm up? Dnt get
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 7:05am On Aug 22, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Durant going off.. Still can't believe I'll be watching him in the Gold and Yellow Jersey next season. Mizzzbeee come and see Durant oo
yeah I watched the match... JORDAN was just cracking me up! grin
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 12:17am On Aug 23, 2016
SmooshCHN:
I Missed u guys on this thread. Biggest joke iv heard this year was that "if USA had lost the finals, Durant would have moved to Serbia". grin

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:51am On Aug 23, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
his warm up? Dnt get
he didn't get enough playing time so he never had to take off his track suit. he only played garbage minutes.

I was disappointed by that final Serbia put up more fight in there first game with USA. poor outside shooting and lack of offensive boards didn't help.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 5:01am On Aug 23, 2016
nairamaniac:

I Missed u guys on this thread. Biggest joke iv heard this year was that "if USA had lost the finals, Durant would have moved to Serbia". grin
Hahahahahahahahaha... People would never stop being salty grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 7:38am On Aug 23, 2016
SIRcumalot:

he didn't get enough playing time so he never had to take off his track suit.
he only played garbage minutes.

I was disappointed by that final
Serbia put up more fight in there first game with USA.
poor outside shooting and lack of offensive boards didn't help.
oh OK tnx...
Well Serbia looked like they settled for silver from the onset. Spain Vs Australia was a much better match to watch. It was intense till the final second n Spain won by 1point

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 7:57am On Aug 23, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Hahahahahahahahaha... People would never stop being salty grin
hahaha. no mind "people".
Re: The NBA Begins by kenturkish(m): 6:37am On Sep 08, 2016
birdman:

Interesting. I would first say that I think LBJ's generation has passed grin. I dont see him winning another ring in which he is the primary ball handler or offensive weapon. I think last year you could already see he had peaked physically.

LBJ's generation for me is anything from Kwame Brown in 2000 (i pity Jordan for wasting time on this guy, lol) to Brandon Roy entering the league about 2007. Out of Wade, LBJ and Melo drafted in 2k3, I thought Melo would win a ring first, then maybe LBJ. If Detroit hadnt gone stupid, they should have won another ring by drafting Melo instead of Darko cheesy. Other superstars in that time frame:

Dwight- i think the ship of greatness has sailed here
Arenas - e pain me as thids guy take dissappear. fun to watch, talked a lot
ZBo
Amare - o!, if only joe johnson had stayed bwhahaha
Yao - embarassed smh
Dwill
Brandon Roy
Bynum - may the lord deliver us from odaran draft picks grin
CP3
Even P Gasol, even though he was a vet in Europe already.

Based on the above, I would say LBJ bar none. Not just the rings, but the longevity. Gasol and Nowitzki are supermen, when you think of all the supposed superstars that have fallen wayside. Amare cant even hold the ball anymore.. grin

Also, I think the current gen if superstars is Durant, Westbrook, Curry, James Harden, Demarcus Cousisns, Kyrie, and Kawhi. D Rose should be here too...alas embarassed

Paul George should be on your list
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:13am On Sep 10, 2016
Congratulations to Iverson, Yao and Shaq on their hall of fame induction. A great class.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 6:33am On Sep 10, 2016
Roland17:
Congratulations to Iverson, Yao and Shaq on their hall of fame induction. A great class.
that Shaq speech was so funny.

iverson is my all time favourite player and am happy his in the hall.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:41am On Sep 12, 2016
Roland17:

been under a rock...i missed that. just skimmed their speeches. moving stuff. except yao lol
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:42am On Sep 12, 2016
kenturkish:

Paul George should be on your list

Agreed.
Re: The NBA Begins by Kenekene1(m): 8:56pm On Sep 23, 2016
Looks like Draymond Green of the Golden State Warriors just made the job of the NBA referees more difficult.

http://eneprom..com.ng/2016/09/nba-referees-will-be-clamping-down-on.html?m=1

Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 11:56pm On Sep 23, 2016
Garnet bows out PF of life cry
Lebron James we r waiting for you too oo grin

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:16am On Sep 24, 2016
"The big ticket", "The Franchise", "The Kid", "KG" retires.. A very sad day for me, words can not express, honestly i can't come up with words.

Garnett should replace passion in the English dictionary.

One of my all time greatest Celtic.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by OohMpa: 9:25am On Sep 24, 2016
Heiiii Everybody don retire

Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 9:35am On Sep 24, 2016
KG retired? Chai
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 11:10am On Sep 24, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
Garnet bows out PF of life cry
Lebron James we r waiting for you too oo grin
Lool. 7-8 years is a long wait dear grin. Tell that to Vince carter, Ginobili, Paul pierce and Co.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 24, 2016
lolawilliams:

Lool. 7-8 years is a long wait dear grin. Tell that to Vince carter, Ginobili, Paul pierce and Co.

I really can't wait to see allen Iverson this season. I hope he's injury free this season.
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 11:51am On Sep 24, 2016
WindUpMerchant:
I really can't wait to see allen Iverson this season. I hope he's injury free this season.
Lool. Which Allen Iverson are you talking about, cause the one i know is a retired basketballer. Abi warriors have signed him grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) ... (2277) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.