Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (380) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1620836 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) ... (2204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 12:22pm On Dec 11, 2016
frenchwine:

I agree with you, there are off nights for teams and it's not unexpected in a 72/73 game season with b2b2b road games. But stethching back to about 6games , grizzles have always dominated the warriors. It's just one of those odd steaks , like the Wade over LeBron streak. grin

Stretching back to 6 games the Grizzlies have always dominated the Warriors.
Bro, that's blasphemy.. cheesy cheesy I can take my time to find you results of previous match ups to tell how well Memphis have been taking Ls from Warriors even Tony Allen stays put on Defense cheesy

They had a good game today, never in the last 6 games..
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 11, 2016
SmooshCHN:

Bro, that's blasphemy.. cheesy cheesy I can take my time to find you results of previous match ups to tell how well Memphis have been taking Ls from Warriors even Tony Allen stays put on Defense cheesy

They had a good game today, never in the last 6 games..
Oh yes your're right, it's even the warriors who have had the upper hand. What was I thinking, I must have tripped on myself. Warriors swept the series last season.
Re: The NBA Begins by OohMpa: 12:38pm On Dec 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

What! 3peat?? Not when they lost by 20+ in their 4 losses. Honestly, i dont see a superstar team in them. I dont see KD getting the MVP either, they were better at this point last season without him.

Wheter they lost by 40 in those 4 losses, it doesn't take away the fact that Warriors is the best team currently.

In as much as Ooh Mpa doesn't cherish KD, he's most likely getting that MVP if it remains like this. Based on current record and form, the run will be like:

KD
Leonard
Lebron
Curry
CP3
Westbrook
Harden
Gasol
Lillard
Griffin

Once you're elite, you just hate who you hate. You suppose happy say dem don calm down for Lebron. Right now, it is all about CURRY HATRED FACTORY. The only players to escape ridicule are people on the Spurs team cos obviously they are not cocky or set profound records.

Just stop arguing about Lebron. We all know he's top 5 all time. One more ring and he might surpass Kobe.

Sircumalot, Harden was obviously better that season but we are in 2016/2017. Even last season showed how superior Westbrook was/is
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 1:56pm On Dec 11, 2016
OohMpa:

Wheter they lost by 40 in those 4 losses, it doesn't take away the fact that Warriors is the best team currently.

In as much as Ooh Mpa doesn't cherish KD, he's most likely getting that MVP if it remains like this. Based on current record and form, the run will be like:

KD
Leonard
Lebron
Curry
CP3
Westbrook
Harden
Gasol
Lillard
Griffin

Once you're elite, you just hate who you hate. You suppose happy say dem don calm down for Lebron. Right now, it is all about CURRY HATRED FACTORY. The only players to escape ridicule are people on the Spurs team cos obviously they are not cocky or set profound records.

Just stop arguing about Lebron. We all know he's top 5 all time. One more ring and he might surpass Kobe.

Sircumalot, Harden was obviously better that season but we are in 2016/2017. Even last season showed how superior Westbrook was/is
KD won't win any MVP not because he isn't deserving his breakup with OKC is still too soon think. that trophy na for Kawhi.

2015/2016 the rockets lost their coach and suffered from lockeroom issue.
we don see harden carry the offense of his team consistently for three years now,even through significant injuries to his teammates he just keep doing his thing.while still being super efficient can't say the same WB.
he had ibaka that season KD went down and he didn't even make the playoffs bro.
I like WB I don't think he knows any better than how his currently playing people interpret that has stat hunting,I don't.
also his athleticism won't be their forever then what ?.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 2:00pm On Dec 11, 2016
OohMpa:

KD
Leonard
Lebron
Curry
CP3
Westbrook
Harden
Gasol
Lillard
Griffin

Lolawilliams, hope you're reading this one sha? Cos na truth i dey see for here.
Re: The NBA Begins by michelle94(f): 3:19pm On Dec 11, 2016
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 3:20pm On Dec 11, 2016
Eruditor and SmooshCHN. These guys are always ready for me. I respect them alot cheesy cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 3:22pm On Dec 11, 2016
OohMpa:

KD
Leonard
Lebron
Curry
CP3
Westbrook
Harden
Gasol
Lillard
Griffin

Well. The Warriors were more of a superstar team last season than they are now.

Why will you put KD first in your MVP Race. hell no, what is CP3 and griffin doing there. Instead of Griffin, Klove would have been better. My list goes like this

Westbrook

LeBron

Kawhi

Harden

KD

A.Davis

Kemba

Curry

M.Gasol

Giannis
Re: The NBA Begins by OohMpa: 4:15pm On Dec 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

Well. The Warriors were more of a superstar team last season than they are now.

Why will you put KD first in your MVP Race. hell no, what is CP3 and griffin doing there. Instead of Griffin, Klove would have been better. My list goes like this

Westbrook

LeBron

Kawhi

Harden

KD

A.Davis

Kemba

Curry

M.Gasol

Giannis

So Ooh Mpa should remove Griffin and put Kemba/Giannis? undecided

Sweery, MVP is given to players that usually finish top 3 in their conferences. You can't play everything for your team,the team struggles to playoffs or don't and you expect to be given the nod.

Your list is more of the literal meaning of MVP than impact.

And if it's about impact, it doesn't get better than Durant, Leonard, Lebron and CP3. The stats do speak for themselves
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 11, 2016
If Westbrook makes the playoffs as a top 5 seed, he gets the mvp.
Re: The NBA Begins by madeit2thetop(m): 7:22pm On Dec 11, 2016
Donlittle:
If Westbrook makes the playoffs as a top 5 seed, he gets the mvp.
Him putting up triple double is the only way he can win the Mvp coz his FG% is very ridiculous and not an mvp calibre
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 11, 2016
westbrook is fighting team mates for rebounds, taking 40 shoots, and holding on to the ball till 22 seconds on the shot clock to get an assist, you think he won't average a triple double till the season ends?
madeit2thetop:
Him putting up triple double is the only way he can win the Mvp coz his FG% is very ridiculous and not an mvp calibre
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 7:33pm On Dec 11, 2016
Donlittle:
westbrook is fighting team mates for rebounds, taking 40 shoots, and holding on to the ball till 22 seconds on the shot clock to get an assist, you think he won't average a triple double till the season ends?
cheesy cheesy cheesy I played with a guy in one local competition here of recent.. I swear to God I almost punched him after some games. cheesy But Westbrook should adjust a little and I'll show him more love for now, he's doing too much to look good.
Re: The NBA Begins by madeit2thetop(m): 8:11pm On Dec 11, 2016
Donlittle:
82 games is a long way to predict that and i still don't think okc will make the playoffs or win enough games to be considered mvp, across the town houstons james harden is another strong contender
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 8:46pm On Dec 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

What! 3peat?? Not when they lost by 20+ in their 4 losses. Honestly, i dont see a superstar team in them. I dont see KD getting the MVP either, they were better at this point last season without him.

Without Conley, Parsons and Carter with full of D-League players and Rookies. Still won the game with a high note and the Warriors called the best team this season. Good cheesy
The may not 3peat. It's kinda hard for any dynasty to 3peat in this modern ERA of NBA. But all the same, Winning one title wouldn't impress me enough for a team this wonderfully made.
Lola, don't be deceived by these kinds of losses to Grizzlies. It's obvious this team isn't playing to break regular season records like they did last season, which later back fired.
Warriors wouldn't have back to back bad games like this particular one with full healthy starting line up.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:03pm On Dec 11, 2016
OohMpa:

KD
Leonard
Lebron
Curry
CP3
Westbrook
Harden
Gasol
Lillard
Griffin

kd wouldn't get mvp. Even though he is having the most efficient season he ever had. Having open looks and all. But that has to do with not attracting double and triple teams like he used to. Or carrying the team alone.
Westbrook or harden are most likely to take it ahead of KD, especially if their teams make the playoffs, which I believe they would.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:31pm On Dec 11, 2016
frenchwine:

No hating , LeBron James is up there with MJ, Pippen, Wilt Chamberlain and Abduljabbar, he is a better all round player than each and everyone of them, especially considering the difference in intensity and tactical awareness between then and now. He however needs at least two more rings to get up there as the greatest of all time.
However I think it would be very biased to say GSW aren't a great team, dah, they're one of the most complete team of the past decade. Or what do you call a team that's already coughing up Four all-stars? The regular season is just a quarter down, the ring is the only thing they're playing for and playoffs intensity would show up with time
I'm a huge fan of LeBron. He may be up there with the rest and even way above pippen. But please leave Jordan out of it. Even if Lebron wins two more championships, he wdnt still come close to Jordan. U really have to factor in that Lebron has not been taking regular-season games seriously, while Jordan took all 82games of regular season as seriously as he took the playoffs and never suffered any sort of fatigue during those playoffs or finals. BESIDES, if not those couple of retirements by Jordan, I believe he should be all time league leader In points.
As for Golden States, they are a great team waiting for playoffs/finals.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 11, 2016
nairamaniac:
I'm a huge fan of LeBron. He may be up there with the rest and even way above pippen. But please leave Jordan out of it. Even if Lebron wins two more championships, he wdnt still come close to Jordan. U really have to factor in that Lebron has not been taking regular-season games seriously, while Jordan took all 82games of regular season as seriously as he took the playoffs and never suffered any sort of fatigue during those playoffs or finals. BESIDES, if not those couple of retirements by Jordan, I believe he should be all time league leader In points.
Let's not fail to factor in the intensity of the league back then and the quality of opposition.
Things
are really diffrent now.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:46pm On Dec 11, 2016
frenchwine:

Let's not fail to factor in the intensity of the league back then and the quality of opposition.
Things
are really diffrent now.
there's no s.i unit for measuring intensity. The league was also extremely intense back then. I don't think we have ever had a team as intense or defensive as the Bad-boy-pistons in the history of the league which Jordan swept after meeting them in three straight playoffs.
I also don't think Lebron has faced a player to guard him one on one as much as Jordan did in a Gary Payton, in an NBA finals. Don't even mention kawhi leonard, Payton was tougher on Jordan.
About intensity, the NBA was harder driving jnto lanes back then. There was nothing like spacing and stuffs we have here today.
Do you know that Jordan's most offensive team mate pippen had career average of 16points. At his best, he averaged around 20 points. But with that he destroyed a Los Angeles lakers dynasty that had like 4 allstars in the 1991 finals. This is like saying Lebron defeating the warriors In the 2015 finals with Tristan Thomson and shulpert. I say this cos that particular year, 1991 were both pippen and horance grant's breakout year.
Well I may be wrong with the above comparison. But I think it's somehow close.

Let me also add that if it were Jordan in place of Lebron in this particular cavs team, I would have been 100percent confident cavs(with jordan) would destroy this current warriors.
I remember sometime in 1996 or there about, the miami heat assembled a team with Tim hardaway, alonzo morning and some other good players. Their game was so fluid. Then came playoffs, The bulls won the first three games. Miami was really good. They were fast and shot really well. They had great coach in pat Riley. After those three games, everyone was expecting a sweep. But surprisingly, miami won game 4.
Then came game-5. Jordan came in with red eyes. Refused to shake alonzo morning's hands. My brothers and sisters on Nairaland, what I saw that night from Jordan and the bulls in game 5, I have never seen it till date from any player and team. Jordan and the bulls held both alonzo morning and Tim hardaway to below 10 points. And they were both the highest scoring heat players.
That match alone convinces me whole heartedly, that a Jordan in place of Lebron would likely hold warriors below their normal scoring averages. Don't even say that bulls had a Dennis rodman and this Cavs do not. Jordan was both the defensive leader of the bulls and offensive leader. He led the bulls at both ends of the floor.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by OohMpa: 10:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
Donlittle, nairamaniac, Sircumalot

MVP awards don't go to 5th and 6th seeds, have never gone to 4th seed and rarely go to 3rd seed. There have been only few cases player won MVP outside the top 2 seeds:

Bob Petit in 55/56
Mcadoo in 74/75
Jabbar in 75/76
Moses Malone in 78/79 and 81/82
MJ in 88

That's just 6 out of 61 regular seasons, the last almost 30yrs ago.

This is a normal something. You no remember KG in 2005 after averaging same stats as his 2004 MVP season but his Wolves plummeted. Wetin happen? No be Nash dem give am with KG 11th position in voting

Or the following year when Kobe knack 35.4 ppg for the season but MVP honors went to Nash again cos of their 1 seed?

Or Rose in 2011 or Malone in 99?

Or all star MVPs and finals mvps?

Best player in best team > best player in a crappy team
Impact > Value

E no go change unless Harden/WB move up in the ranking which we all know is impossible with Warriors, Spurs, Clippers and Grizzlies out there

Dalu
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 10:38pm On Dec 11, 2016
OohMpa:

MVP awards don't go to 5th and 6th seeds, have never gone to 4th seed and rarely go to 3rd seed. There have been only few cases player won MVP outside the top 2 seeds:

Bob Petit in 55/56
Mcadoo in 74/75
Jabbar in 75/76
MJ in 88

This is a normal something. You no remember KG in 2005 after averaging same stats as his 2004 MVP season but his Wolves plummeted. Wetin happen? No be Nash dem give am with KG 11th position in voting

Or the following year when Kobe knack 35.4 ppg for the season but MVP honors went to Nash again cos of their 1 seed?

Impact > Value

E no go change unless Harden/WB move up in the ranking which we all know is impossible with Warriors, Spurs, Clippers and Grizzlies out there

Dalu

wow. I never really knew this much. Some baaad guys dey this forum ohhh. Great history. U are really right. Let me also add that was why pippen didn't win it in 94. Rather he was 3rd in the voting.
Not withstanding, I think WestBrook has a chance to win albeit an okc 5th or 6th seed. The other contenders in the top 2seeds like kd, curry, Lebron and kawhi have just so much help as compared to Westbrook or Harden.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:29am On Dec 12, 2016
lolawilliams:
I'd leave Ring talk to otheer people. This guy can score, shoot, pass, steal, dunk and always in talks for MVP, But still gets all the hate. What a world

Pippen-" "Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to play the game.But I may go so far as to say Lebron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will, but he keeps everybody involved"
Remarkable achievement. Lol too bad they don't calculate the turnovers.

M.J didn't really play in a system that emphasized on P.G and Point forward play tbh. No telling just how many assists he coulda had
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 12:43am On Dec 12, 2016
OohMpa
never said WB would win the MVP.
kawhi or CP3 na my candidate(but the clippers dull me recently) so mainly Kawhi because spurs should finish 2nd in the west.
KD should win,but he won't for mostly the same reason LeBron came 2nd to Rose in 2010/2011.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:45am On Dec 12, 2016
MVP for me right now is Harden. He is leading his team to W's and doing so quite efficiently

Westbrook
K.D
LeBron
Gasol

I woulda rated Westbroook lower because his inefficiency as a scorer is a little too much but the load is plenty on his head tbh
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 12:53am On Dec 12, 2016
OohMpa:

Bob Petit in 55/56
Mcadoo in 74/75
Jabbar in 75/76
MJ in 88

Impact > Value

Dalu

Steve Nash? Cant remember what seed they were though. Also remember he won back to back, even when though LBJ was a better player that year. MVP is not completely objective, so I would say in Westbrook keeps up his triple double rate, he is guaranteed MVP, unless they are like 6th seed and below. And if they get past first round, he will be MVP for sure.

**just checked. suns were number 1 and 2 seeds in those years shocked. didnt translate into rings or even finals though. stillin OKC makes top 4 or even top 5, I think he bags the award
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:54am On Dec 12, 2016
nairamaniac:
there's no s.i unit for measuring intensity. The league was also extremely intense back then. I don't think we have ever had a team as intense or defensive as the Bad-boy-pistons in the history of the league which Jordan swept after meeting them in three straight playoffs.
I also don't think Lebron has faced a player to guard him one on one as much as Jordan did in a Gary Payton, in an NBA finals. Don't even mention kawhi leonard, Payton was tougher on Jordan.
About intensity, the NBA was harder driving jnto lanes back then. There was nothing like spacing and stuffs we have here today.
Do you know that Jordan's most offensive team mate pippen had career average of 16points. At his best, he averaged around 20 points. But with that he destroyed a Los Angeles lakers dynasty that had like 4 allstars in the 1991 finals. This is like saying Lebron defeating the warriors In the 2015 finals with Tristan Thomson and shulpert. I say this cos that particular year, 1991 were both pippen and horance grant's breakout year.
Well I may be wrong with the above comparison. But I think it's somehow close.

Let me also add that if it were Jordan in place of Lebron in this particular cavs team, I would have been 100percent confident cavs(with jordan) would destroy this current warriors.
I remember sometime in 1996 or there about, the miami heat assembled a team with Tim hardaway, alonzo morning and some other good players. Their game was so fluid. Then came playoffs, The bulls won the first three games. Miami was really good. They were fast and shot really well. They had great coach in pat Riley. After those three games, everyone was expecting a sweep. But surprisingly, miami won game 4.
Then came game-5. Jordan came in with red eyes. Refused to shake alonzo morning's hands. My brothers and sisters on Nairaland, what I saw that night from Jordan and the bulls in game 5, I have never seen it till date from any player and team. Jordan and the bulls held both alonzo morning and Tim hardaway to below 10 points. And they were both the highest scoring heat players.
That match alone convinces me whole heartedly, that a Jordan in place of Lebron would likely hold warriors below their normal scoring averages. Don't even say that bulls had a Dennis rodman and this Cavs do not. Jordan was both the defensive leader of the bulls and offensive leader. He led the bulls at both ends of the floor.
M.J's greatness is not what one can begin to explain. I am imagining if he had LeBron's body how badly he woulda destroyed competition
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:00am On Dec 12, 2016
OohMpa:

So Ooh Mpa should remove Griffin and put Kemba/Giannis? undecided

Sweery, MVP is given to players that usually finish top 3 in their conferences. You can't play everything for your team,the team struggles to playoffs or don't and you expect to be given the nod.

Your list is more of the literal meaning of MVP than impact.

And if it's about impact, it doesn't get better than Durant, Leonard, Lebron and CP3. The stats do speak for themselves
Griffin has been rubbish this season tbvh. I'd put Kemba and Giannis ahead of him.

Aldridge and KAT have also been massive disappointments
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 1:07am On Dec 12, 2016
A40:

M.J's greatness is not what one can begin to explain. I am imagining if he had LeBron's body how badly he woulda destroyed competition

na spirit? lol. I agree on this much though, that MJ's primary strength was mental. And LBJ will never get there because he will never experience the level of crap MJ had to deal with.

But if MJ had LBJ's body, I would say MJ never wins 6 rings. Because the road would be much easier. He would never have been cut from his varsity team, and the pistons would not have been able to bully him early in his career. MJ would probably have a more laid back personality (like many big guys), and his nba career would be very different.
Re: The NBA Begins by redarrr(m): 1:53am On Dec 12, 2016
u guys re gettin it wrong,mvp is not based on individual stats alone...its also based on the team form also..i.e the team dat finishes with d best record and d player wit d best stat in d team...
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 10:14am On Dec 12, 2016
A40:

LeBron is the best baller in the NBA right now. MJ was and nothing can change that.. Can you prove any of this wrong?

1- Right before or during his Ring in the 90's. There were like 6 new teams that were added to the league and we all know that new teams rarely win matches due to the fact that the team has to fill their teans with complete new players that has never play prof sport before. I stand to be corrected, Grizzles;Raptors,Heats,Timberwolves, Hornets, Magic were all new teams during MJ's era. Btw 1988-1996, 6 teams were added to the league and MJ won his ring brw 91-98 which made it abit easier

2- A40, You said he didn't really play in a system that emphasized on P.G and Point forward play. Mj is a ball hog, He averaged about 5assists per game in hos career, he was a huge ball hog, often taking as many as 30 shots a game in the 86-87 season alone.. more reason y he couldnt make it out of the first round of the playoffs his first three seasons in the league.

3- We keep saying LeBron had to team up with Wade and Bosh to get his ring, Lets not forget that MJ averaged 37.5 points in his third year in the league which is one of the highest point total average of all time out of all NBA players. In his first 3years in the league, the Bulls made it to the Playoffs and despite averaging 43 PPG in the 1986 playoffs, as well as incredibly high scoring numbers in 1985 and 1987, he still couldnt make it out. So i can as well say that MJ teamed up with Pippen to gt his rings. Yes Who wouldnt win with a person considered one of the grestest defender in the league
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 10:15am On Dec 12, 2016
OohMpa:

KD
Leonard
Lebron
Curry
CP3
Westbrook
Harden
Gasol
Lillard
Griffin

personal-opinion, LeBron has since surpassed kobe. He doesn't need more rings to prove this. LeBron is top5 ever, kobe would barely make top10.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 10:24am On Dec 12, 2016
A40:

I really don't think he needed LeBron 's body. He was a shooting guard and not a forward. Jordan' s frame made him quick. In as much as people praised Jordan for what he did in the air, they forget how good he was on the ground. Jordan was 6-6, but he had handles as good as almost all the point guards all thru his career that were below 6feet. And to have a good shooting-stroke, (especially off the ddibble) you need to be kinda light in weight. This has helped players like durant and curry to shoot so effortlessly off the dribble. It's simple aerodynamics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) ... (2204) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: lakeside0071 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.