Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (385) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1637465 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) ... (2224) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:54am On Dec 16, 2016
Craig embarassed
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 5:43am On Dec 16, 2016
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 12:41pm On Dec 16, 2016
https://theringer.com/nba-sliding-doors-demarcus-cousins-boston-celtics-good-boogie-967f2f1b26e4#.tc94ovhrz

extremely funny"what if" article about a boogie to Celtics trade. also check out the part 2.

Rest in peace Craig Sager.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2016
Hi all, I know this isn't a much talked about issue here but has anyone been following the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)?
The new rules seem welcomed to me, gives veteran players their dues and helps smaller market teams to easily hold onto their star players
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 16, 2016
sapiosexual1:
Hi all, I know this isn't a much talked about issue here but has anyone been following the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)?
The new rules seem welcomed to me, gives veteran players their dues and helps smaller market teams to easily hold onto their star players
draymond green don't like it though, it seem
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 16, 2016
Donlittle:
Yeah sure, he can see it coming as it appears it may be a straight choice between Thompson and himself if GSW are to offer KD and Curry new deals
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:00pm On Dec 16, 2016
sapiosexual1:

Yeah sure, he can see it coming as it appears it may be a straight choice between Thompson and himself if GSW are to offer KD and Curry new deals
Donlittle:
Links please
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 16, 2016
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:25pm On Dec 16, 2016
I want to see it as more like the EPL TV deal which bridges the gap between the big boys and the others
Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2016
RIP CRAIG SAGER!

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:49pm On Dec 16, 2016
sapiosexual1:

I am happy both parties agreed before Thursday's deadline to opt out. I like the administration of Adam Silver, he is very proactive. I would hate to see another lock down in the league.

Just like you, i am particularly happy about the veterans (10 years and more) minimum salary. I only worry it may lead to late retirement for some players who have nothing to offer team. but again there is so much money from the TV deal, that is why everyone is getting paid.

The only issue i have with this CBA is the refusal of the players union to agree to the 20 year rule. The league is saturated with draft picks who are under 20 who may never play for their teams. They end up in the D-League where they are mostly forgotten. I would love to see college players stay in college until their sophomore or junior year.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:57pm On Dec 16, 2016
Roland17:

I am happy both parties agreed before Thursday's deadline to opt out. I like the administration of Adam Silver, he is very proactive. I would hate to see another lock down in the league.

Just like you, i am particularly happy about the veterans (10 years and more) minimum salary. I only worry it may lead to late retirement for some players who have nothing to offer team. but again there is so much money from the TV deal, that is why everyone is getting paid.

The only issue i have with this CBA is the refusal of the players union to agree to the 20 year rule. The league is saturated with draft picks who are under 20 who may never play for their teams. They end up in the D-League where they are mostly forgotten. I would love to see college players stay in college until their sophomore or junior year.
can't you just go to china to circumvent this rule like that Mudiay fella that plays for the nuggets
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 16, 2016
You have a good point there @Roland17. Well, veterans would only be offered deals based on their poductvity.
I wholy agree with you on the 20yr cap, but the argument could swing both ways actually.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 16, 2016
chic2pimp:
RIP CRAIG SAGER!
He was a great man, cut down soo soon by an unavoidable illness.
Leukemia
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2016
SIRcumalot:

can't you just go to china to circumvent this rule like that Mudiay fella that plays for the nuggets

How many young college basketball players playing in China and Europe have succeeded in returning to the NBA? very very few. its a very tough decision on these young lads, primarily driven by money.

Check the roaster of all the teams in the league and you would find 18-20 year old's who may end up being waived. The players union, NBA, and NCAA have to do something about this. This is why i support Adam Silver's proposition of 20 years.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 5:26pm On Dec 16, 2016
If that Mudiay isn't careful, he'd return back here very soon with his turnovers.. Thus one the media is already pegging $200m on Curry, players would want more.. I stand with Green on this sha.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 6:31pm On Dec 16, 2016
Don't know much about collegiate sport but I remember Mudiay's move to China was hailed as a way to beat the NCAA and the league at their own game,Without falling in the draft.
Roland17
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 16, 2016
I believe Brandon Jennings did the same thing
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 16, 2016
Yes going to China, Russia and Spain has its benefits in circumventing the NBA buh see, down the line, they become anonymous, just one of them players.
I remember one or two(dont recall their names now) went out there some 4-5yrs back on this same ish, that was the last we heard of them.
The NBA is where it happens, if you can't lock down yourself there, then you can just go ahead with the money in China. I feel for those youngsters though, something needs to be done.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:17pm On Dec 16, 2016
nairamaniac:

Yeah, I admit, I was wrong to have said it that way. All I meant was Miami didn't have a clear direction on who was the leader of the team. Who the offence should run thru. My statement was solely by my observations on how equally James and dwane shared the ball. It was just too damn equal and most times in their first season together, their strategy was going one on one against their primary defender one after the other.
For the fact that James was runner up MVP, doesn't dispute that.

Hope u would admit that it kind of changed from the following season till James left for cavs.
Scoring is not the only way to lead a team. This was not why they lost to the Mavs. They were overconfident, arrogant and thought they would stroll to the title.

The Mavs fought back and the Heat froze. Obviously they were going to learn from their mistakes and bounce back due to the sheer experience and undeniable talent.

I don't think Wade was unaware Lebron was better. The team was rolling smoothly till they ran into the Mavs
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:14am On Dec 17, 2016
nairamaniac:

I had to go back memory lane to see if LeBron was really as bad as u insinuated against Kawhi. Yeah James was kawhi's primary marker considering they are both small forwards. But with the way spurs play, anyone would loose his primary marked-opponent more than half the time.

I also had to do a tiny research to compare the scoring stats if both James and leonard thru that series.

GAME 1: james 25points - Kawhi 9points

GAME 2: James 25points - Kawhi 9points

GAME 3: james 22points - Kawhi 29points

GAME 4: james 24 points - Kawhi 20points

GAME 5: james 31 points - kawhi 23points.

All these happened with James attracting more double - teams and tripple-teams than any player on both sides.

As you can see, Kawhi didn't exactly oppress James thru that series as most of you try to paint it. I want to believe because spurs won that series and the championship hence your wrong view of how they fared against themselves.
If by chance Miami had won that series with exactly the same stats head to head between LeBron and Kawhi, I swear with my life, most of you who rate and compare primarily by RINGS wouldn't have sed "how did Kawhi put up such an efficient whatever under jade's watch".
Braaah ball movement is not an excuse for your man to shoot 61.7% from the field

Kawhi was not a volume scorer at the time so I don't even understand the excuse you are cooking here. I didn't see the Spurs double teaming or triple teaming Lebron. It was mostly Kawhi and Green doing the guarding for the most part. With Rashard Lewis, Ray Allen and Chris Bosh on the team double teaming or triple teaming woulda been a deathwish.

Its not merely winning rings and no one expected Kawhi to dominate. He was in his 2nd or 3rd year in the league.

The koko here is a guy playing your position averaged 18pts on 61 percent shooting. That is a number even Centers would blush at. It means if he took shots at a higher clip he would most likely match Lebron's numbers. I'm sure that's one of what the voters saw and made him Finals MVP
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:20am On Dec 17, 2016
birdman:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nba-all-star-steve-francis-turned-himself-in-for-a-felony-burglary-charge-170323839.html

stevefranchise. words fail me
Loool bloody hell. Steve Francis? Omo situation ti critical
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:26am On Dec 17, 2016
Donlittle:
Lol I want to wring that díck snapping troglodyte's neck for costing me a cool $250 last night. He needs to STFU
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:28am On Dec 17, 2016
chic2pimp:
RIP CRAIG SAGER!
Just a terrible terrible year all round on pretty much everything. Bless his soul
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:42am On Dec 17, 2016
Donlittle:
Btw, Garbage points is the points you put up in the fourth quarter while the game is out of reach, @A40 i get am right? grin grin
You just might have raised a good point. I remember that Finals had the highest pts differential in Finals history
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:54am On Dec 17, 2016
nairamaniac:
well, personal opinion to say you would place kobe ahead of Shaq, magic and kareem. For the fact that kobe won 2 championships with mediocre players as compared to the rest that did with Hall of famers doesn't make kobe superior to the others.
You can use 2 years/2 seasons of accomplishments of one player to compare an entire careers of another.
I didn't have just the championships in mind when I compared them.

This East to West competitive disparity is a bit too exaggerated at times.

LeBron knocked out pistons and nets enroute to finals 2007 with a very weak cavs. The nets had vince Carter and Jason kidd still in top-form. Pistons had Hamilton, chauncy billups and rasheed Wallace still playing great.
U making it sound like LeBron, cos he's in the East had an easy ride to the finals.

I version had same challenges leading phily to the finals. The whole world would remember all the 76ers series went to the wire. I think there all went to either game 5's or game 7's.

I don't think any individual player in the history of the game has pushed his team that far to the finals like Iverson did.

I would place the West to be much weaker than the east that particular season, because lakers if I remember well sweet all their opponents to the finals. At worst, they lost one game.

That shade/tease u dropped on LeBron "running to team up with all stars to win", has been taken kind of far.

There's hardly a way I would defend this without we falling back to the stale-issue of durant running from okc to team up with warriors.
We have both traded opinions about that. And we both still stay firmly by them.
Kareem stands out because of his pts and longevity but my goodness those Lakers were like the Harlem Globetrotters. This is why I lowkey respect Isiah Thomas though I can't stand the ninja. Abeg just bone that Shaq, Kobe showed he didn't need him by winning the last two rings while Shaq was a passenger with D.Wade's Heat.

It is not exaggerated. We can do a record and ring count post Jordan. How many times have we seen an #8 seed in the West beat a #1 seed? The Spurs that handed the Heat a gentleman's sweep in 14 needed 7 games to beat the #8 seed Mavs. The #8 seed Mavs were 49-33. They woulda been 3rd if they played in the East. 3rd!

Jason Kidd was in top form at 34? O ga oo! Beating the Pistons was a feat but the Heat had already knocked them off their perch. They were on their last legs and faded to irrelevance after the 08 season

The weaker what? Hahaha go and look up the Sacramento Kings, Utah Jazz, Blazers never mind the Spurs. The Western Conference was the real Finals. For 5 straight years after M.J's second retirement if you win for West they might as well hand you the Title. Nobody from the East even forced a Game 7

Abeg the guy ran to play with stars twice. No point bringing up Durant. He is not being compared to M.J neither did ESPN rank him number 3. This guy teamed up with Wade and Bosh in their prime and ran to pair up with younger guys the minute he detected their powers were waning
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:19am On Dec 17, 2016
Roland17:
It is imperative to remind this generation of NBA players and some fans led by Queen James that after 2 years (second time away) of retirement 36-38, Jordan returned to the game aged 39 and joined the Wizards.

The most interesting part of this story is the fact that he played all 82 games for the Wizards in his 2 seasons with the Wizards.

During his first season with the Wizards Jordan averaged 22.9 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 5.2 APG, and 1.4 SPG.

Second season aged 40 he averaged 20.0 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 3.8 APG, and 1.5 SPG.

Can anyone imagine if he never took breaks from the game? his numbers would have been mythical.

Today, players take rest from games and tell fans "I HAVE PAYED MY DUES".

Kindly retire and spare your followers the anguish of chasing a ghost who keeps running even after being retired.
Its just a phucking insult to compare them both. Na Golden State I blame for this nonsense sha.

Jordan needed barely 12 years to go 6-0
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:24am On Dec 17, 2016
A40:

Its just a phucking insult to compare them both. Na Golden State I blame for this nonsense sha.

Jordan needed barely 12 years to go 6-0
lol they won't hear you though, Kobe dragged that trash as* lakers team to the playoffs in the west leading up to his injuries, and unfortunately retirement.

But someone think these dudes making the playoffs in the east with love and Irving is something big. Okay.

What was Kobe averaging that his last year self?
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 17, 2016
Yo when Hakeem won his first championship, was there any all star on his team that year?
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 12:33pm On Dec 17, 2016
Top memes this week.. cheesy

Re: The NBA Begins by ipledge10(m): 12:43pm On Dec 17, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Calm down abeg.. We the known GSWs have been here for long.. Use your humor
You all lost your sense of Humor or what? undecided
The Curry's picture is G.O.A.T meaning Greatest Of All Time, a fantasy for Curry lovers.. But yes he's the greatest shooter of all time..
Lolawilliams calm down.. Make we talk true and be fair. Draymond has been top notch in defense "so far" this season.. As for Christmas day, it don't matter if you won by 40.. We swept you guys in the last regular season it's the playoffs that'll really matter. But if you lose on Christmas game we'll go back to our usual usual it's just a regular season gane
She start claiming GSW are stat whores grin grin don't mind Lola it will shock her that cavs won't win the conference title

(1) (2) (3) ... (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) ... (2224) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: afrodoc2, A40(m), larride(m), aliondo, Roland17(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.