Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,293 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy (12730 Views)

Fani- Kayode, Anenih, Other Speak On Buhari’s Inaugural Speech / JNI, CAN Clash On Removal Of Army Commandants / Patrick Obahiagbon On Removal Of Farida Waziri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by COMPAQ(m): 11:28pm On Jan 02, 2012
moremi2008:

Would Nigerians rather have the government pay for imported oil that ends up in Niger Republic or Togo? I don't understand why they aren't focused on improving government accountability instead of defending a totally silly subsidy that has already gone on too long.

I tire o!! I keep saying it, the people who live in Ghana, Togo, Benin republic, Liberia etc are they not human beings like us? Do they have two heads? If they can survive a no subsidy on petrol regime, why can't we? I don't think those guys are even as resourceful as the average Nigerian!! There is a lot of wasteful spending we can all curtail if we must use the same amount of fuel as before. All the campus chicks can give up their BB's and monthly N1500 for BB complete for one. In PH, when people die, if you see the MAD driving they do on the road, brandishing cutlasses and hanging from the windows, if the fuel is N140, they will think twice before following a corpse with 15 cars, and these are the so called masses o!!!
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jan 02, 2012
-
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by success4(m): 11:40pm On Jan 02, 2012
nasty thread!
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 12:17am On Jan 03, 2012
success4:
nasty thread!

Yeah sure! As nasty as your miserable life.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Beync(f): 12:25am On Jan 03, 2012
My sis sent me the usaul mtn flash that shud hav read 'pls call me i need you assistance', instead it reads 'pls call me, i need petrol' grin problem dey o
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by brightk(m): 12:29am On Jan 03, 2012
some pple might call this topic a nasty topic, but what i wnt to say is that it is really affecting me right now
i used to pay okada N50 from Okumagba Avenue (Cinema Site) to Robinson plaza. but yesterday 02-01-2012, to my face i was charge N80-N100 omg, i have to trek. and from the look of things everything will definitely increase. i see pure water being sold at N20 per one.
when is the federal gov going to increase the salary of work, i think it should go simultaneously with the fuel subsidy removal.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by canadaik(m): 12:35am On Jan 03, 2012
Seriously i feel for Nigerians, they (we) are really suffering, i wonder whether if the saying "for things to get better, it has to be bad first" is true for Nigeria or if it is the utter case of misery and a downward slope for Nigeria, we should not be suffering in the land of plenty. the elders would say that "anyone whose tomatoes are sold to him is a fool" Nigeria has succeeded in making a big fool of itself!! sad
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by somadino: 12:52am On Jan 03, 2012
We have a funny govt. Think back, Fuel subsidy removal was mentioned for the first time when they agreed to pay the N18,000 minimum wage. The state gov'nors met with the presidency and said the only way they would pay the amount was if their allocation increased. Now the govt is taking back whatever they gave as increment and punishing the rest of us who did not get any increment in the first place.
The removal at this time is unjustified. They should have put a lot of things in place before they think of it, like building/repairing the refineries. The removal should have be done in phases and done over a period of 10yrs.
What good thing can we say that this government has done?
We have a government that do not care for the people. I blame those of you who voted them into power
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by lastpage: 1:29am On Jan 03, 2012
@Moremi2008
Would Nigerians rather have the government pay for imported oil that ends up in Niger Republic or Togo? I don't understand why they aren't focused on improving government accountability instead of defending a totally silly subsidy that has already gone on too long.
An would you think “cross-border smuggling” only, is enough justification to inflict these punishment on Nigerians, so early in the year?
Did it not occur to you that in the 70’s (don’t actually know if u’r underage or matured) when fuel was 23K per Litter,, they still smuggle it, when it became 77K/litter, smuggling never stopped and even when it was increased to N65/liter, smuggling never stopped!
Even if you make it 500naira/liter, it will still be smuggled; all that happens is that the “total cost of smuggling” is added and passed to the final consumer!
What stops smuggling is “tightening of border security” and not price increase, get that?

Something our President seems to be clueless about!

@COMPAQ
I tire o!! I keep saying it, the people who live in Ghana, Togo, Benin republic, Liberia etc are they not human beings like us? Do they have two heads? If they can survive a no subsidy on petrol regime, why can't we? I don't think those guys are even as resourceful as the average Nigerian!! There is a lot of wasteful spending we can all curtail if we must use the same amount of fuel as before. All the campus chicks can give up their BB's and monthly N1500 for BB complete for one. In PH, when people die, if you see the MAD driving they do on the road, brandishing cutlasses and hanging from the windows, if the fuel is N140, they will think twice before following a corpse with 15 cars, and these are the so called masses o!!!
Are you aware that Ghana, which started Crude production in 2010, has a new 40,000 liters/day Refinery and is almost completing another brand new 200,000L/day capacity Refinery? Factor-in their population (relative to Nigeria) and you will see that they have already “cut-off the head” of subsidy by ensuring that they have enough “local production” (you wont subsidize, if you don’t need to import the fuel).
Also note that power is relatively very stable in Ghana! That is what l call visionary leadership.

Now compare that to your clueless President of Nigeria who did not repair just a single one of our four Refineries and is not building a new one either yet he is doing what Ghana did?!
Consider that virtually every household owns at least one Electricity Generator that uses Petrol. Factor-in the fact that we dont have alternative means of transportation that does not use Petrol (Trams, Ferries, e.t.c)
Factor in lack of stable electricity and our large population;
Can you see why your comparison of Nigerians “not having two heads” comes across as irrational, thoughtless and condescending?
There is something called “priotization” in Management, that GEJ, even with his PhD, seems not to appreciate.
First thing first, and the rest will “flow easily”.

Cheers,

Lastpage
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by NEROSKY(m): 1:31am On Jan 03, 2012
Compaq am sowie 2say dis,U ar a Big fool,sowie 4dat, am jst angry dat u ar a creative fool, why shud an OPEC member sell fuel 4 almost One dollar,which will inturn change D whole price of Commodities Drastically and Negatively,i suspect dat u one of D politicianz son? I wish i cud spill ur blood 4 fun,
Those who Endorsed fuel subsidy removal must die prematurely including Ur odious president Mr.badluck jonarobish merciless nt ebele. I wish boko haram cud bomb d aso rock nd national assembly killing both ministers of petroleum,finance nd sanusi bt only injure Oshomole 4 partially supporting gudluck 2,
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by cardoso111(m): 3:05am On Jan 03, 2012
This is surely the beginning of the end
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 3:08am On Jan 03, 2012
Who is that i.d.i.ot justifying fuel subsidy removal because of a purported prevalence of cross-border smuggling of fuel? Some of these fools shouldn't be allowed to interact with other human beings - not even their own family members - lest they infect others with their deadly and contagious inanity.

If subsidized fuel products are smuggled across the border into neighbouring countries, is that not due to the failure of government and its agencies to secure the borders? Is that not due to the failure of government and its agencies to identify the smugglers and bring them to justice? Is that not due to the failure of government to institute proactive measures to prevent smuggling? Pray, so because of government's own inefficiency, incompetence, and perhaps corruption, the already hapless and miserable masses should be further impoverished and stripped of whatever remained of their dignity? Are you implying that the dirt-poor masses fmost of who survive on less than $2 a day) and the struggling borderline middle class should essentially 'subsidize' government's incompetence and corruption?

Some of you daft punks irritate me endlessly. Because you are privileged in some way, and can probably afford to pay N1000/litre of petrol, you have lost touch with reality and have no sense of empathy with the travails of ordinary, struggling Nigerians. Only fools like you can sit on your privileged backside to give thoughtless, smug, and arrogant opinions on these kinds of issues.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by dramenda(f): 3:17am On Jan 03, 2012
yy
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by JUO(m): 3:32am On Jan 03, 2012
is a way of removing some cars off the road
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by goldng: 6:29am On Jan 03, 2012
Funny Nigerians, lol.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Timmy321(m): 7:09am On Jan 03, 2012
Is it not the same basta.ds eating the subsidy money that he will still give them to for infrastructure, Why is Badluck Jonathan still at Aso rock. He should pack-up and live him and his stu.pid girlfriend okonjo wahala. JONATHAN MUST GO! JONATHAN MUST GO!! JONATHAN MUST GO!!! Enough is enough.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by dayokanu(m): 7:17am On Jan 03, 2012
This na real fresh air
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Timmy321(m): 7:41am On Jan 03, 2012
[color=#990000][/color] now, since Badluck have sworn to make life uneasy for the bunch of idio.ts who voted him in, can we work hand in hand to get rid of the bast.ard? He is being remote my his girlfriend ngozi oko wahala and BY THE SPECIAL GRACE OF GOD, IT WILL NEVER BE WELL WITH THEM BOTH. Jonathan must go! Jonathat must go!! Jonathan must go!!! Enough is enough.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by dmainboss: 7:47am On Jan 03, 2012
On one hand, the removal of fuel subsidy is going to be painfull and though I support it, I must admit, it aint funny. But on the other hand, I think one big lesson we will learn from this is that Nigerians are the most wasteful people in the world. We need to get our government to be accountable but we need to also get ourselves to be accountable. One reason why our government is not accountable is simply that they are Nigerians. Before they got into government, they were living their lives without accountability. They aint going to change just because they are now government officials. Here is a list of examples of our we live our lives without accountability:

1. Nigerians dont budget. It is so bad. When my brother was in Ghana, he observed that people buy fuel based on the mileage they make. They buy fuel in litres. In Nigeria, people just buy fuel arbitrarily. Most times, they buy without even considering what they really need. In other areas of their lives, the same attitude applies. We do not budget in Nigeria.
2. Nigerians show off too much. Every human being in the world has a tendency to show off one time or the other but Nigerians have redefined the word. That is why a Nigerian goes out and buys bottles of beers for all his friends. I have seen boys waste thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands in one night, just like that. All their friends hail them and they stu.pi.dly go on a spending spree. A friend's brother who was working in Russia, on his way back to Nigeria, made a stop in the Uk and went out with 6 friends. At the bar, he went and bought 6 bottles of beer and was taking it down to his friends to the amazement of all in the pub. Cause they were wondering how he was going to drink 6 bottles in one swoop. They didnt even realise he was buying for all his 6 friends, because thats not normal in places like that. In Lagos, these so called poor masses will throw parties where they spend hundreds of thousands. They will call it 8 days namimg or 3 months whatever or 1 year party and so on. They will tell you that not doing it is like a disgrace.

3. Have you noticed that in Nigeria, when you need money for business or school fees, nobody will answer you but when you ask the same people for money for burial ceremony of say, your parents, the money will start to flow. Nigerians only give for burial and marriages.

4. Nigerians have a mantra that if you have it, you got to spend it. I told someone the other day who said many Nigerians are suffering that the only people suffering in Nigeria are young graduates still looking for job, junior staff civil servants and the very very low class people like almajiris and very low peasant farmers in the village. All the artisans who complain they ar very poor drink at least 2 or 3 bottles of beer everyday. I have been to practically half of Nigeria and the story is the same. Nigerians spend an average of N500 to party everyday. If you have it, you got to save it and invest it not spend it

5. It is only in Nigeria where you see people having 3 or four cars that they dont use. Please I am not talking about politicians. Half the friends around me, most people on my street have like 2 or 3 cars. In my church, many people have multiple cars. Please it is fact. They have cars they dont need. They buy things they dont need.

6. An average fast food now cost around N900 for a simple meal of fried rice and chicken and people still patronize them. The last time I went to tantalizers. I was livid. All fast foods sell grilled chiken for around N550. That chicken cost less than N100 and they sell it that high and we go there and pay for it. It is insane. But the fact is, we do it because we dont want to be seen as not up to it.

7. Lagos is the worst place of all. In Lagos, public transporters can just increase their prices arbitrarily and when you refuse to pay, another so called poor man or member of the masses will come from behind and jump into the bus and tell you he is in a hurry. Or he will tell you that there is nothing he can  do and that you should pay because you are bigger than that. Our Naija mentality na wa sef!
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Pain(m): 7:57am On Jan 03, 2012
Please keep the outside world informed on the most reliable news media devoid of western influence here
http://www.facebook.com/AJStream
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 03, 2012
@dmainboss:, I totally agree with you on the average Nigerian Mentality but that doesn't give the FG the reason to impoverish its citizen 700% more.
The cutting of the waste should start from the government itself. Or how can you explain two families budgeting a whooping N1billion naira for food? That's alarming. Wetin dem wan chop?

YOU ARE NOT A BIG BOY or GIRL

If you own a car and yet still squat with someone.

If you use a Phone more expensive than the total amount in your savings.

If you as a lady wait for a guy for 30minutes at a fast food and you can't buy yourself even bottle water.

If you have to call your aristo and siblings before you can renew your BIS.

If you ONLY enter a fast food when there's a man to pay for the food.

If you use a phone even your parents can't afford.

If it is only your beauty and body you have as assets to get what you want.

If you only use your phone to surf facebook, twitter, and other social networks.

If you are over 25years and still in the university and all you are doing is clubbing, fashion and drinking.

If you don't work or do business but can't do without paying for your BIS.

If you use all your money to buy shawama and pizza when with friends. Yet eat only twice a day at home.

You only take cab yet your parents still run after bus and okada.

You spend your entire week hanging out with the boys paying for their drinks yet you are damn broke.

You always go to the movies, whereas you don't have a DVD player at home.

You borrow everything you wear to a ceremony or date.

Your friends can't visit your home because you stay in a slum.

This generation is full of fake people trying to live a life they can hardly afford.

This is the main cause for the immorality and crime in the society. We have to start realizing that the REAL SUCCESS is never based on material items but rather on personal self fulfillment.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by femzy(m): 8:26am On Jan 03, 2012
COMPAQ:

In PH, when people die, if you see the MAD driving they do on the road, brandishing cutlasses and hanging from the windows, if the fuel is N140, they will think twice before following a corpse with 15 cars, and these are the so called masses o!!!

Compaq you are a brainless numbskull. How many cars do our people in govt use on a single stroll. Or do these their convoy run on water. You see how the economic activities come to a halt when these people go anywhere alone.You are a selfish fool.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by dmainboss: 8:38am On Jan 03, 2012
@talknafree
My post wasnt to justify the increase in fuel. Like I said, the fuel increase is pinching me even now. Just saying we also need to look inwards. My key point for example is that, since these government officials already live their lives like I listed above before they get into government, they are simply going to up their game when they get there. we need a total paradigm shift in Naija.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by dastudent(m): 8:45am On Jan 03, 2012
They say there are marketers who collect subsidy and divert and sell it to other countries at the original price,why aren't they bringing this people to book.Its generally because they are untouchable People who finance PDP and they believe the solution is to violation us the people in the Bottom and not also cut government spending.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by eherbal(m): 9:22am On Jan 03, 2012
I warned you all not to vote
Jonathan,but you wouldn't
listen. Buhari would've been tough,but
he wouldn't have danced to the tune
of the IMF and World Bank are
playing through their DJs,"The
Bitch";Okonjo Iweala and"Ol Dirty. Bastard",Goodluck Ebele Jonathan .I warned. You
all,but you turned deaf ears ,
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by dmainboss: 9:34am On Jan 03, 2012
^^^Please dont derail this thread with your stu.pi.d Buhari campaign. The election is over. Who told you Buhari will not have removed fuel subsidy? Are you his adviser or you are in his head? You think removing fuel subsidy was a GEJ's personal opinion. I.diots like you make the arguments very difficult. Attack GEJ if you must on the merit of what he has done and stop suggesting to intelligent people they should have voted an illiterate mallam who is also the patron of boko aram. Was he not part of the people who put us in this predicament in the first place? nonsense!
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by ImperialMcHael(m): 9:54am On Jan 03, 2012
Nigerians ar cryin 4 wot originaly isn't deirs. In a manner of speakin all govt fund n revenues mite hav bin ours, but dey've taken or rada we've given dat away a long time ago. And of cuz, we all shud hav known dis day wil come beforehand. For d record, I dont suport dis play of presidential dominance, bt lets become (or pretend to b) intelectuals as d case may b n let us b realistic, instead of cryin ova spilled milk. Ur pesident said he mite b slow in decisional issues, bt we nid a quick response to dis mata so dnt let us waste time murmuring. D question is:
What ar they doin abt it?
Wot is d society doin abt it?
Wot is ur houshold doing abt it n
wot ar u doing abt it?
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by velo10: 12:36pm On Jan 03, 2012
dmainboss:

^^^Please dont derail this thread with your stu.pi.d Buhari campaign. The election is over. Who told you Buhari will not have removed fuel subsidy? Are you his adviser or you are in his head? You think removing fuel subsidy was a GEJ's personal opinion. I.diots like you make the arguments very difficult. Attack GEJ if you must on the merit of what he has done and stop suggesting to intelligent people they should have voted an illiterate mallam who is also the patron of boko aram. Was he not part of the people who put us in this predicament in the first place? nonsense!

Eeediots like you would vote GEJ again. You refuse to accept the truth. Buhari far surpasses this guy both in strength of character and intelligence. Buhari hasn't spent as much time as Jonathan in office but his reign remains a legacy to remember that's why milllions endorsed him for a second chance again. Your idol, Jona would be leaving us with a legacy of unfulfilled promises, Boko haram bombs, Fuel subsidy removal, double-hardship for Nigerians and fear of disintegration.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by dmainboss: 12:52pm On Jan 03, 2012
velo10:

Eeediots like you would vote GEJ again. You refuse to accept the truth. Buhari far surpasses this guy both in strength of character and intelligence. Buhari hasn't spent as much time as Jonathan in office but his reign remains a legacy to remember that's why milllions endorsed him for a second chance again. Your idol, Jona would be leaving us with a legacy of unfulfilled promises, Boko haram bombs, Fuel subsidy removal, double-hardship for Nigerians and fear of disintegration.

I can see you aint more than 22 years old, that is why you talk poo. I was in school when Buhari was in power. He is an illiterate f00l who could not even rule and had his deputy rule for him. He was there for almost 2 years and did nada except concur with the decision of his deputy Idiagbon to whip people on the streets. Nobody rated him after he left and nobody remembered him till the last few years. I feel sorry for you because you read some propaganda on NL and come here to talk crap
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by velo10: 1:11pm On Jan 03, 2012
dmainboss:

I can see you aint more than 22 years old, that is why you talk poo. I was in school when Buhari was in power. He is an illiterate f00l who could not even rule and had his deputy rule for him. He was there for almost 2 years and did nada except concur with the decision of his deputy Idiagbon to whip people on the streets. Nobody rated him after he left and nobody remembered him till the last few years. I feel sorry for you because you read some propaganda on NL and come here to talk crap
Actually i'm 26. Say this and dat about Buhari. The fact remains dat he wasn't perfect like nobody is. But his reign remains one to beat even though it was a miitary regime. He did things in the interest of the country rather than to please greedy godfathers or the international community. Well your president has nothing he's acheived from deputy governor to president. A display of incompetence at its magnitude. If he's dast good, why's almost everybody complaining about him? well I don't blame you, even if you're a victim of Boko haram, you'll still overrate your dulled-out idol.
Re: Nigerians Speak On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by dmainboss: 1:25pm On Jan 03, 2012
velo10:

Actually i'm 26. Say this and dat about Buhari. The fact remains dat he wasn't perfect like nobody is. But his reign remains one to beat even though it was a miitary regime. He did things in the interest of the country rather than to please greedy godfathers or the international community. Well your president has nothing he's acheived from deputy governor to president. A display of incompetence at its magnitude. If he's dast good, why's almost everybody complaining about him? well I don't blame you, even if you're a victim of Boko haram, you'll still overrate your dulled-out idol.

No wonder you dont know your left from your right. The stu.p.id Buhari is the reason why Nigeria is in the mess she is today,  If he had not terminated our democracy in 1985 and plunged us into another 15 year military rule, we would have gone thru all these problem stages by now. By now, our democracy would have been balanced and we would have started to enjoy it. Ram head!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Endorses Gov Jang’s Faction / Israeli Prime Minister, Netanyahu Calls For Nnamdi Kanu’s Release (photo) / Why Ndigbo Should Join APC —- Kalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.