Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,142 members, 7,849,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:27 AM

Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? (23275 Views)

Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Lagos Set To Join Oil Producing States As Production Begins This Year / Lagos To Join Oil Producing States In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by iiiyyyk(m): 1:00am On Jan 06, 2012
@ sheygay
   Go and read your post, it does 't make sense.

some urchins in this tread are accusing SE/SS of tribalism. lets look at it objectively.

they are bombing and protesting to destroy GEJ administration because he is not from the north and he is not a Muslim. this is the height of tribalism brothers.
now they want to hide under subsidy, whereas their true intention
is to ruin this administration. They ruled for almost 40yrs and all they left behind was massive corruption,Economic and infrastructural decay.
NOW SOME ALMEJERIS ARE SUDDENLY BECOMING PATRIOTIC

we in SE/SS say no, give him chance to carry out his economic transformation,  Truly no leader takes two yrs to achieve any meaningful progress.

PLEASE BROTHERS, NO PROTEST IN SE AND SS
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by emmatok(m): 1:09am On Jan 06, 2012
LOL,

See the SE calling other tribes(SW, NE e.t.c.) parasites.

Can someone show us any crude oil produced in SE?

Even the SW produce more Oil than the SE.

All they are busy doing is aligning with the SS because of crude oil.

How i which the country breaks-up urgently, lets see if who will suffer most.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Nnenna1(f): 1:43am On Jan 06, 2012
I understand the rationale (or theory) behind the removal of the subsidy. However, I read several posts here that calculated what is claimed to be the true cost of fuel (~N45) and I'm a little confused. I want to know how the removal of this subsidy translates to over a 100% increase in the price of fuel.

Honestly the people aren't angry at the subsidy removal. They aren't even really angry that the government is corrupt and Nigerians are suffering - after all the Nigerian government has been corrupt since inception and no one really complained (sad but true).

The REAL contention here is the increase in fuel price that happened in the blink of an eye - which in turn may cause much more corruption and suffering than Nigerians can take.

The government's history of elephant projects and siphoning away of the so called funds set aside for good use, is enough to convince Nigerians that this sacrifice may too be high to bear.

We must know how the books justify the intense spike in fuel price. In addition, if the intention is to "shift" subsidy to other areas how about we get results that we can see immediately? Double the minimum wage, for instance. Anything that can bring immediate relief the the burden of the common man.

I can sort of understand why South Easterners and Niger Deltans are a little quiet about this, but guys know that challenging the government, even if officials have good intentions, is for the betterment of everyone.

We all don't even have to like each other to see reason in this - let us speak up on this issue and demand that 1) Measures be taken to counteract the effect of the subsidy removal immediately, 2) the fuel subsidy be repealed and reintroduced subtly, and with counteracting measures to "even" things out or  3) the removal be repealed in its entirety.

Yes there is a small chance that this removal is for the better, but I have a sinking feeling that it will be for the very worst if these crucial issues are not addressed.

Should this removal backfire, it will severely affect everyone regardless of ethnicity. Please set aside whatever grudges you all may have and work towards a life that is less hellish, at least as far as SS and SE is concerned, if that is all matters.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 1:50am On Jan 06, 2012
^
@Nnenna1
True and well spoken my sister. Every word you uttered is wise.
We would not be in defensive mode of our regions if many had not made it expressly clear that their participation in the demos's is for political, religious and ethnic reasons. Many have expressed extremely ugly sentiments that we must be on guard against; it is that fear and the need to robustly tackle its proponents that has driven the creation of this thread.
Let us do the things you suggested with all vigour, but we must not be used as unwitting tools in a hidden enemies ugly political, religious and ethnic designs.

emmatok:

LOL,

Are you real, or is this a silly joke on yourself?
Some NL pipul and critical levels of ignorance sha! cry cry cry
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 2:00am On Jan 06, 2012
iiiyyyk:

@ sheygay

some urchins in this tread are accusing SE/SS of tribalism. lets look at it objectively.

they are bombing and protesting to destroy GEJ administration because he is not from the north and he is not a Muslim. this is the height of tribalism brothers.
is to ruin this administration. They ruled for almost 40yrs and all they left behind was massive corruption,Economic and infrastructural decay.

we in SE/SS say no, give him chance to carry out his economic transformation, Truly no leader takes two yrs to achieve any meaningful progress.

Preach, bro! cool
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by GAR3TH(m): 2:29am On Jan 06, 2012
iiiyyyk:

@ sheygay

we in SE/SS say no, give him chance to carry out his economic transformation,  Truly no leader takes two yrs to achieve any meaningful progress.

It might be that or it might be because the removal of fuel subsidy will hurt all nigerians financially. It doesn't matter if you voted for GEJ or not the protestors are doing their civic responsibility of holding their leaders accountable for their actions. It has nothing to do with tribalism and only an Id!ot will connect the protest to tribalism.

This is what is wrong with nigeria, that people are so drawn to "winning" that people would live in hell fire just so there candidate "wins". That they will just blindly follow what ever their candidate does just because he's from their area / party. That is what separates  develop America from the 3rd world that is Nigeria. President Obama, bush, clinton etc all got tasks and pressured from both their opposition and their own party and constituents so that they, the president, does whats right for the country. But in Nigeria we have yet to see PDP members talk against the removal of fuel subsidies or even niger deltans in bayelsa protest against the removal of fuel subsidy just because GEJ is in power. That is why nigeria will never develop because some will just turn a blind eye, even if it means they will suffer, just so their candidate "wins".

I'm for the removal of fuel subsidy but i'm proud that some nigerians are out there voicing their own opinions.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Obiagu1(m): 4:27am On Jan 06, 2012
This is the reason SE/SS are not protesting.

Poverty in Nigeria

North East = 72.2%
North West = 71.2%
North central = 67%
South West = 43%
South South = 36.1%
South East = 26.7%

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/212244_poverty20level20in20Nigerian20zones-Punch20newspaper2020031_jpg41bdcb734786e57c46ab47dd1cbd99fd[/img]

[size=16pt]Case closed![/size]
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by iiiyyyk(m): 4:34am On Jan 06, 2012
Quote from: emmatok on Today at 01:09:32 AM
LOL,

see somebody protesting with gross ignorant, u don't even have simple national data, how am i sure u even know what subsidy removal is all about. Remember SE dose not need oil to survive, great nations of this world are not great through crude oil. an Igbo son does not beg any were in the world, it is a God given potential.so there is nothing man can do about that.

SE and SS has been one historically, culturally and geographically even before the discovery of Crude oil. There are Igbos in Rivers,Delta and even part of c river. Rather i think is people like you that is trying to create divisions in the eastern region because you cannot resist crude oil.
Your almajery begging mentality will not allow you to leave eastern Nigeria alone.

we are not protesting in SS/SE.

@ nnena1 you right, but they are not constructive in their protest. no body is even talking about the wicked importers who have been sharing this money with our devilish politicians all these yrs. All they are shouting is Gej b/cos they think he is a gentle president nd some feel he is weak.

@ GAR3TH. Also in America, a particular region will not be sponsoring the bombing of innocent citizens simple because they want to undermine the regime of a president or to make him appear incapable.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by SamIkenna: 4:37am On Jan 06, 2012
d
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by SamIkenna: 5:06am On Jan 06, 2012
Happy new year to all. I specifically signed up today to say hello to every Nigerian on this site irrespective of where he or she comes from. However, I have reserved a big Hello to Onlytruth and Beaf and to make it a little interesting I have decided to call Beaf "Nwanne di na mba." Beaf you are one tough guy, Even though you have have flaws just like every other person you have shown to be firm and I respect that. I know it hurts to see our "near-omipotent subsidy" go but the truth is - it's time has come and its got to go. May I add here that if I were to be in a battle of life and death, I would choose Beaf, Onlytruth, ShongorThor, (including others I cant remember now) to join me, these guys are real men.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by OneNaira6: 5:13am On Jan 06, 2012
iiiyyyk:

see somebody protesting with gross ignorant, u don't even have simple national data, how am i sure u even know what subsidy removal is all about. Remember SE dose not need oil to survive, great nations of this world are not great through crude oil. an Igbo son does not beg any were in the world, it is a God given potential.so there is nothing man can do about that.

SE and SS has been one historically, culturally and geographically even before the discovery of Crude oil. There are Igbos in Rivers,Delta and even part of c river. Rather i think is people like you that is trying to create divisions in the eastern region because you cannot resist crude oil.
Your almajery begging mentality will not allow you to leave eastern Nigeria alone.

@ nnena1 you right, but they are not constructive in their protest. no body is even talking about the wicked importers who have been sharing this money with our devilish politicians all these yrs. All they are shouting is Gej b/cos they think he is a gentle president nd some feel he is weak.

@ GAR3TH. Also in America, a particular region will not be sponsoring the bombing of innocent citizens simple because they want to undermine the regime of a president or to make him appear incapable.

Isn't it comical to say the least.  Beaf, a non-igbo but SS, started this thread but yet Igbo & SE are being blamed for calling other parasite.   No offense to Beaf, I like you. I suppose SE aren't allowed to voice their opinion anymore despite their region mentioned on this thread. LMFAO, Alj_harem guy & co are funny characters; tribalist calling others tribalist. Wetin I no go see? haha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin yet they wonder why SE and SS do not want to join in this failed protest.

SE/SS, listen to your elders, don't join.
It easy to be a victim but it silly not to fight victimization.

Nnenna1:

I understand the rationale (or theory) behind the removal of the subsidy. However, I read several posts here that calculated what is claimed to be the true cost of fuel (~N45) and I'm a little confused. I want to know how the removal of this subsidy translates to over a 100% increase in the price of fuel.

Honestly the people aren't angry at the subsidy removal. They aren't even really angry that the government is corrupt and Nigerians are suffering - after all the Nigerian government has been corrupt since inception and no one really complained (sad but true).

The REAL contention here is the increase in fuel price that happened in the blink of an eye - which in turn may cause much more corruption and suffering than Nigerians can take.

The government's history of elephant projects and siphoning away of the so called funds set aside for good use, is enough to convince Nigerians that this sacrifice may too be high to bear.

We must know how the books justify the intense spike in fuel price. In addition, if the intention is to "shift" subsidy to other areas how about we get results that we can see immediately? Double the minimum wage, for instance. Anything that can bring immediate relief the the burden of the common man.

I can sort of understand why South Easterners and Niger Deltans are a little quiet about this, but guys know that challenging the government, even if officials have good intentions, is for the betterment of everyone.

We all don't even have to like each other to see reason in this - let us speak up on this issue and demand that 1) Measures be taken to counteract the effect of the subsidy removal immediately, 2) the fuel subsidy be repealed and reintroduced subtly, and with counteracting measures to "even" things out or  3) the removal be repealed in its entirety.

Yes there is a small chance that this removal is for the better, but I have a sinking feeling that it will be for the very worst if these crucial issues are not addressed.

Should this removal backfire, it will severely affect everyone regardless of ethnicity. Please set aside whatever grudges you all may have and work towards a life that is less hellish, at least as far as SS and SE is concerned, if that is all matters.

Nnenna
undecided smiley smiley cheesy grin wink.  You are right, the concept behind the protest isn't about fuel subsidy as they claim but a more hidden agenda.

Obiagu1:

Poverty in Nigeria

North East = 72.2%
North West = 71.2%
North central = 67%
South West = 43%
South South = 36.1%
South East = 26.7%

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/212244_poverty20level20in20Nigerian20zones-Punch20newspaper2020031_jpg41bdcb734786e57c46ab47dd1cbd99fd[/img]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 5:40am On Jan 06, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

Happy new year to all. I specifically signed up today to say hello to every Nigerian on this site irrespective of where he or she comes from. However, I have reserved a big Hello to Onlytruth and Beaf and to make it a little interesting I have decided to call Beaf "Nwanne di na mba." Beaf you are one tough guy, Even though you have have flaws just like every other person you have shown to be firm and I respect that. I know it hurts to see our "near-omipotent subsidy" go but the truth is - it's time has come and its got to go. May I add here that if I were to be in a battle of life and death, I would choose Beaf, Onlytruth, ShongorThor, (including others I cant remember now) to join me, these guys are real men.

Lol! Thanks dude!
I'm not too good with Igbo, does "Nwanne di na mba" mean, "my stubborn brother?"
Welcome to NL and hope to see you around.

You do have good choices in Onlytruth and ShongorThor. Those guys are strong men indeed, intelligent, totally principled and undeviating from their ideals and the best for us all. I respect both guys.
As you have stated, there are many others too, but it would be wise not to list names, lest any are left out.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Onlytruth(m): 5:51am On Jan 06, 2012
Beaf:

Lol! Thanks dude!
I'm not too good with Igbo, does "Nwanne di na mba" mean, "my stubborn brother?"
Welcome to NL and hope to see you around.

You do have good choices in Onlytruth and ShongorThor. Those guys are strong men indeed, intelligent, totally principled and undeviating from their ideals and the best for us all. I respect both guys.
As you have stated, there are many others too, but it would be wise not to list names, lest any are left out.

"Nwanne di na mba" literally means "a brother found in foreign lands" or a "a brother encountered while living abroad". Means a foreign brother or Neighbor brother.

@Sam_Ikenna
Thanks bro! wink
We do our best to keep the truth in the front lines always.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 5:55am On Jan 06, 2012
^
Thanks for the translation.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Arkhin(m): 6:32am On Jan 06, 2012
The op is up to some mischief by this thread because the arguement does not hold water. Before the discorvery of crude oil, the mainstay of the Nigerian economy was agriculture which was derived from cocoa, groundnut, timber, rubber, etc. Obviously these couldn't have come from from riverine areas. Whilst the nation was making money from the productivity of other regions, your people were busy eating fish in their huts. If not for all those sentimental fools that voted Retardeen and are now regretting, this wouldn't have happened.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by emmatok(m): 9:14am On Jan 06, 2012
iiiyyyk:

MUMU
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by jmoore(m): 11:41am On Jan 06, 2012
The passion against subsidy removal could have been used to elect a more efficient leader. Goodluck will never be our best president but I support the removal of the subsidy.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by nateevs(m): 11:52am On Jan 06, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

Talk is cheap. Real man? Oh Please stop the butt licking dude.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by aljharem(m): 12:23pm On Jan 06, 2012
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by aljharem(m): 12:28pm On Jan 06, 2012
More from warri

Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by otokx(m): 12:34pm On Jan 06, 2012
jmoore:

The passion against subsidy removal could have been used to elect a more efficient leader. Goodluck will never be our best president but I support the removal of the subsidy.

Well said
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 12:43pm On Jan 06, 2012
Arkhin:

The op is up to some mischief by this thread because the arguement does not hold water. Before the discorvery of crude oil, the mainstay of the Nigerian economy was agriculture which was derived from cocoa, groundnut, timber, rubber, etc. Obviously these couldn't have come from from riverine areas. Whilst the nation was making money from the productivity of other regions, your people were busy eating fish in their huts. If not for all those sentimental fools that voted Retardeen and are now regretting, this wouldn't have happened.

There is no point in telling lies. Just google "oil rivers protectorate."
If you do that conscientiously, you will quickly find that palm oil is the reason Nigeria exists. The SE/SS have always been the mainstay of the Nigerian economy.

When you are done googling "oil rivers protectorate," turn you attention to googling "Royal Niger Company."

At the end of the exercise you would have learnt enough not to post trash and lies.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 1:10pm On Jan 06, 2012
Some help for simpletons with lies about groundnuts and rubber;

The Colonial Contest for the Nigerian Region 1884–1900: A history of German participation, by Olayemi Akinwumi.
Hamburg: LIT Verlag, Geschichte Band 43, 2002. 122 pp. €17.90 (paperback). ISBN 3-8258-6197

www.nairaland.com/attachments/325427_RoyalNigerCompany_gif09db473c05cd021e855c2fca46af01d2

[size=14pt]Palm oil, the main import of the Royal Niger Company!!!! LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!![/size]
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by sheyguy: 3:11pm On Jan 06, 2012
iiiyyyk:

@ sheygay

ur posts are getting senseless by the minute bros, Gej is part of Pdp and agreement should be honoured, the man is not suppose to be there by mutual agreement btw southerners and Northerners in PDP. If it does not go down well i hope u guys wont blame the S-Westerners this time around.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by sheyguy: 3:30pm On Jan 06, 2012
Beaf:

If you do that conscientiously, you will quickly find that palm oil is the reason Nigeria exists. The SE/SS have always been the mainstay of the Nigerian economy.

When you are done googling "oil rivers protectorate," turn you attention to googling "Royal Niger Company."

At the end of the exercise you would have learnt enough not to post trash and lies.

beaf i followed ur instructions in ur post above and it says Royal Niger Company was into palm oil.
So u can come down this low. I pity ur followers and ur Employer.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

Poverty in Nigeria

North East = 72.2%
North West = 71.2%
North central = 67%
South West = 43%
South South = 36.1%
South East = 26.7%

Poverty in NIGERIA=70%

You are all very poor. You are in this together. Most of you live on less than $2/day. Or if you want to see it how I see it; The price of a 4piece McNugget.

Stop being a dummy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-18/nigeria-s-poverty-ratio-rises-to-70-of-population-trust-says.html
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by reporter1: 4:17pm On Jan 06, 2012
Beaf:

Dude,

Stop distorting the truth. Royal Niger is NOT the same thing as Nigeria the nation.
Everyone knows that Nigeria depended on cocoa from the SW and  groundnuts from the North for foreign earnings prior to indepedence. Central Bank of Nigeria data also confirms that assertion. 

"Like most economies prior to any full-scale industrial revolution, the pre independence Nigerian economy was based on agriculture. During the 19th century when Britain was moving from an agriculturally based economy to an industrial one, Nigeria thrived on its agricultural trade and its traders were recognized for their astuteness throughout West Africa.

During the 1950s, agriculture retained its position as the biggest contributor to the Nigerian economy. As at 1957, 60% of the nation's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was earned by peasant agriculture. Agriculture accounted for over 75% of Nigeria's export during the pre-independence era.

Also, the nation depended on her agriculture for up to 95% of local food consumption. [b][/b]By 1959, cocoa had become Nigeria's biggest single foreign exchange earner. Nigeria also claimed the title of being one of the three biggest producers of groundnuts in the world. [b][/b]There was also a high production in both cash and subsistence crops like rubber, which accounted for roughly 6% of total exports in late 1950s, coffee, cotton, millet, guinea-corn, beans, yam, maize, cassava and rice.

Agriculture started to lose its importance in the development of the nation's economy from the first few years of independence due to the discovery of crude oil in large quantity. For example, the share of agriculture in the GDP fell from 53% in 1960 to about 34% in 1974. Since then, agriculture has stagnated, partly due to government neglect and poor investments and partly due to ecological factors such as drought, disease, and other related factors. By the mid-1990s, agriculture's share of exports had declined to less than 5%."

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/35801/1/nigeria-at-50when-oil-runs-out.html
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by jason123: 4:24pm On Jan 06, 2012
Beaf:

Some help for simpletons with lies about groundnuts and rubber;

The Colonial Contest for the Nigerian Region 1884–1900: A history of German participation, by Olayemi Akinwumi.
Hamburg: LIT Verlag, Geschichte Band 43, 2002. 122 pp. €17.90 (paperback). ISBN 3-8258-6197

Palm oil, the main import of the Royal Niger Company!!!! LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

May God forgive you!
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by jason123: 4:25pm On Jan 06, 2012
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/fuel-subsidy-protest-spreads-to-warri-effurun/
[size=14pt]Fuel subsidy protest spreads to Warri, Effurun[/size]

By Emma Amaize, Emma Arubi and Akpokona Omafuaire.

WARRI – THE protest against the removal of fuel subsidy expanded to Delta State, Friday, with members of the Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, and Committee for Defence of Human Rights, CDHR, grounding business and social activities in the twin cities of Warri and Effurun for more than four hours.

The protest is coming ahead the planned nationwide industrial action on Monday by Organized Labour.

The placard- carrying protesters were led by John Aikpokpo-Martins, Vice Chairman Warri NBA; Barrister Casely Omon-Irabor, Coordinator, Human Rights Defenders Organisation of Nigeria.

Sunny Enenuvwedia, President, CDHR; Pastor Edewor Egedegbe, President, Network for Positive Change; and Barr Benefit Orugbo, Chairman, CDHR Delta State.

They hit the streets of Warri and Effurun as early as 7.00 am in their hundreds. The take-off point was Effurun roundabout.

Some of the placards bore inscriptions; “We want fuel subsidy” “Don’t play politics with our lives in Nigeria” “Okonjo Iweala should resign” “No to IMF policies” “Jonathan has failed us” “If Jonathan cannot rule, resign.”

Okada riders, market women and office workers who closed businesses and offices cheered the protesters as they chanted solidarity songs. Members of the various civil societies also joined in the protest as they march on.

In a proactive strategy, the Area Commander, ACP Abutu Yaro , led several police officers in providing escort for the protesters so that hoodlums would not take advantage to hijack the protest.

Addressing Deltans at Jakpa junction, John Aikpkpo-Martins, Vice Chairman, NBA, Warri said, “We members of the NBA protest today to say no to removal of fuel subsidy, we are fighting against oppression, this is not military rule, Okonjo-Iweala cannot dictate for us, she should resign, fuel price should be returned to N65.”

Also adding his voice, Sunny Enenuvwedia, President, CDHR said, “The president action is hasty. It is anti people, government should cut their bogus life style spending and there will be money for development.

“Why is it only the poor that must suffer? Enough of this rubbish, we want the decision to be rescinded immediately.”
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by aljharem(m): 4:28pm On Jan 06, 2012
reporter?:

Dude,

Stop distorting the truth. Royal Niger is NOT the same thing as Nigeria the nation.
Everyone knows that Nigeria depended on cocoa from the SW and  groundnuts from the North for foreign earnings prior to indepedence. Central Bank of Nigeria data also confirms that assertion. 

"Like most economies prior to any full-scale industrial revolution, the pre independence Nigerian economy was based on agriculture. During the 19th century when Britain was moving from an agriculturally based economy to an industrial one, Nigeria thrived on its agricultural trade and its traders were recognized for their astuteness throughout West Africa.

During the 1950s, agriculture retained its position as the biggest contributor to the Nigerian economy. As at 1957, 60% of the nation's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was earned by peasant agriculture. Agriculture accounted for over 75% of Nigeria's export during the pre-independence era.

[size=18pt]Also, the nation depended on her agriculture for up to 95% of local food consumption. [/b]By 1959, cocoa had become Nigeria's biggest single foreign exchange earner. Nigeria also claimed the title of being one of the three biggest producers of groundnuts in the world. [b]There was also a high production in both cash and subsistence crops like rubber, which accounted for roughly 6% of total exports in late 1950s, coffee, cotton, millet, guinea-corn, beans, yam, maize, cassava and rice.
[/size]
Agriculture started to lose its importance in the development of the nation's economy from the first few years of independence due to the discovery of crude oil in large quantity. For example, the share of agriculture in the GDP fell from 53% in 1960 to about 34% in 1974. Since then, agriculture has stagnated, partly due to government neglect and poor investments and partly due to ecological factors such as drought, disease, and other related factors. By the mid-1990s, agriculture's share of exports had declined to less than 5%."

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/35801/1/nigeria-at-50when-oil-runs-out.html

Thank you and now these bigots would open their mouths calling us "Parasites"
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 4:28pm On Jan 06, 2012
@reporter
Stop vomitting made up history from your bigotted news agency. The Royal Niger Company became Nigeria if you do not know, and the only reason it existed on this land, was oil palm.
Oil palm is the reason for Nigeria and oil palm fed Nigeria before crude.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by jason123: 4:34pm On Jan 06, 2012
Beaf:

@reporter
Stop vomitting made up history from your bigotted news agency. The Royal Niger Company became Nigeria if you do not know, and the only reason it existed on this land, was oil palm.
Oil palm is the reason for Nigeria and oil palm fed Nigeria before crude.

Again, MAY GOD FORGIVE YOU!
Are you saying the Rubber and some cocoa in the MW was not enough to sustain the MW?
Are you saying the Cocoa in the West was not enough to sustain the West?
Are you saying the groundnut pyramids in the North was not enough to sustain the North?

Once again, Beaf, may God forgive you! Even the people from the SE cannot support you on this LIE!

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Prosecute And Jail Or Shoot Them: Buhari On SaharaTV / Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard / Photos From Swearing In Of Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq As Governor Of Kwara State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.