Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,977 members, 7,828,457 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? (23237 Views)

Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Lagos Set To Join Oil Producing States As Production Begins This Year / Lagos To Join Oil Producing States In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Gbawe: 12:20am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

I wonder why nobody is answering my simple question after so many pages:
Why have those from receiving states not carried out revolutions against their governors? Is it ok for all states to be beggars? Where is our pride and dignity as human beings?

Gbawe the champion bigot and self acclaimed representative of the "owners of Nigeria," would you care to reply?

Will you shut up and stop making a fool of yourself via acting like a silly child all over the forum. When will you grow up and desist from cheaply whipping up ethnic and sectional interest to suit the agenda of your paymasters? This is a Nigerian issue and sensible Nigerians , from all walks of life, have joined up to resist the callous actions of an anti-people Government, abdicating its duty of care towards Nigerians, while you are here in all your decietful glory.

The author of the article below , for example, is from an oil producing state , i.e Delta which is coincidentally your State also . He can stand up for what is right and just as an accomplished Nigeria who is gainfully employed and hence does not need to engage in the sycophancy you pathetically practice for a living.  Only a treacherous sycophant like you will be here holding brief for the Government and pandering to the bigotry and crass feudalism in some folks while decent Nigerians , from all walks of life, are making it clear that this anti-people decision, which will harm all Nigerians, must be resisted. Shame on you.

http://saharareporters.com/column/king-goodluck-%E2%80%9Crehoboam%E2%80%9D-jonathan%E2%80%99s-oil-subsidy-war-time-peoples-own-do-or-die-battle-save-ni

King Goodluck “Rehoboam” Jonathan’s Oil Subsidy War: Time for the People's Own Do-or-Die Battle to Save Nigeria!
Posted: January 3, 2012 - 21:35

Columnist:
Ogaga Ifowodo

As my first reaction to Goodluck Jonathan’s withdrawal of the oil subsidies he and his predecessors have been giving to their contractor friends, and so to themselves as well, for the past two-and-a-half decades, I posted the following satiric monologue to my Facebook page:

“Says President Goodluck Jonathan: I am the Death and the Resurrection. I will raise the price of all foodstuff, every good and service in my country, till the people shall neither afford yam nor fish, nor pay the fare to farm or workplace, till they shall verily die of sickness and hunger. Then I shall flood the land with food and medicine, and resurrect them from death, that they and the world may know my power to do as I am told by the IMF and World Bank. And if any of the people, led by the NLC or troublemakers called human rights activists, should protest, I will order the army and the police to shoot at them, to throw them in jail. Yea, even so will I let Boko Haram throw bombs in their midst! For oil is thicker than water, and must cost a thousand times more. So that there be enough billions to feed me, my wife and children and the throng that beseech me daily on my throne on the Rock set on high in Abuja. For I, Jonathan, a lucky man chosen by God, have spoken!”

But I remain restless. Mostly because I am far away from the streets of Lagos or Abuja, from the barricades, where I would love most to be right now. Because the first month of 2012 proves, by Jonathan’s decision to play King Rehoboam and chastise us with scorpions where previous rulers used mere whips – see “As Jonathan Plays the Oil Subsidy Game and Imperils the Nation,” a co-authored statement/article at http://saharareporters.com/column/jonathan-plays-oil-subsidy-game-and-im,  -- to be the year that the long-suffering Nigerian people must wage their own DO-OR-DIE battle to save their lives and that of the tottering nation.[b] Since 1960, but in particular, since 1999, the band of mercenaries and nation-wreckers known as the PDP has been waging its own do-or-die battle to loot Nigeria to the ground, as two-time head-of-state, General Obasanjo made so clear. They have merely been calling on the greediest and the meanest to “come chop.” And now that there is little left to chop, they have decided to squeeze the very blood out of the veins of the masses.

From Burutu to Birnin-Kebbi, Aba to Abeokuta, Jos to Jese, Maiduguri to Mokwa, Sapele to Sokoto—across the length and breadth of Nigeria—deep-seated disenchantment, sorrow and tears announce the abject state of the people. No one is happy with the false edifice called Nigeria handed to us by the British at independence and kept intact by successive rulers. A bloody genocide and an even bloodier three-year civil war was fought a mere six years after that so-called independence to keep the Nigeria-edifice shakily erect. Now it is tumbling down. And from the seething anger of the Niger Delta to the boiling anger in the east, the rage of the west to the fury of the north, every single section of the country wishes for ANOTHER country. Meaning, one which will inspire their loyalty and patriotism. One which will exist for them and not only for the kleptomaniac cabal of thieves and scoundrels with a choke-hold on the nation’s jugular.[/b]

There is only one way to this goal of the democratic, just and equitable Nigeria of our dream: a sovereign national conference at which we debate and agree on the terms of peaceful and prosperous co-existence through responsible governance—one that responds to the people and not to the contractor class or the IMF/World Bank. But rather than work towards this goal, our governments pretend that all is well with the rotten and collapsing national edifice. And they happily, insouciantly, make the sole business of governance that of awarding bogus contracts never intended to be performed, thereby supervising the collapse of every institution, of every productive aspect of the economy, and of the meager but already existing infrastructure. So that against every argument to the contrary at the factual level, and against every reason to the contrary at the level of public morality and the objective of government, President Jonathan has doubled, tripled—indeed, multiplied to an immeasurable degree—the already unbearable misery of the people by withdrawing the phantom subsidy that has always benefitted thieving contractors with permanent tables in the federal and state houses but, also, made it possible for the masses to perform the daily miracle of drawing water out of stone to keep breath and hope alive. As an immediate aftermath of Jonathan’s callous decision, transporters have adjusted passenger fares so that a one-way bus trip from Lagos to any major destination north, east or south of the country costs almost, all or more than the minimum wage. Talk of a take-home pay not taking you home! And yet that is just a tip of the iceberg!

Jonathan’s logic of worsening the disease before the cure—in short, of killing the patient so he might perform the spectacular medical feat of resurrection—makes the choice before every sensate Nigerian at this point clear: fight or die! You will die anyway, but only in installments. In fact, one, according to reports, has already died at the hands of Jonathan’s storm-troopers in Ilorin; his name is Muyideen Mustafa, a boy who stood up to be heard. Some have been jailed and maimed already. Now is the time for all Nigerians—except, of course, the thieving one percent—wherever they may be, to stand up and be counted on the side of the masses. We must make Jonathan reverse his punitive decision to withdraw oil “subsidy.” We must compel him to do the only right thing: clean up the mess in the oil sector; recover the billions and trillions stolen by the oil cartel his administration has identified; drastically reduce the cost of government, in particular the astronomical salaries and allowances paid to all elected and appointive offices; free himself from the clutches of the IMF and their local agents; and swear a new oath to serve the people and not himself or his remorseless party and coterie of nation-wreckers.

It is now or never! Time has run out on Nigeria—well, by my nation-clock, it is a minute to the midnight of disintegration! Unless we fight to fold the wings of time.

http://www.africansuccess.org/visuFiche.php?lang=en&id=827

Biography of Ogaga IFOWODO
Nigeria > Literature : Ogaga IFOWODO

Biography :

Ogaga Ifowodo (b.in 1966), is a Nigerian Poet.

He was born in 1966 in Oleh, Delta State, Nigeria. A lawyer, he holds an MFA from Cornell University. He has published Homeland & Other Poems (1998), which in manuscript won the 1993 Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) poetry prize; Madiba, winner of the 2003 ANA/Cadbury poetry prize; The Oil Lamp (2005), and Homeland (1999), a German-English selection of his poems. He worked for eight years with the Civil Liberties Organisation, Nigeria’s premier human rights group, and between 1997 and 1998 was held under preventive detention by the then military regime of General Sani Abacha on account of his human rights activism; a memoir of his prison experience, an excerpt from which was included in the anthology, Gathering Seaweed: African Prison Writing (Heinemann, 2002), is in progress.
His work has been featured in The Times Literary Supplement, The Massachusetts Review, The Dalhousie Review, Atlanta Review, Poetry International, Mantis (forthcoming). In 1998, he was named recipient of the PEN USA Barbara Goldsmith Freedom-to-Write Award and of the Poets of All Nations (Netherlands) “Free Word” Award. He is an honorary member of the PEN centres of the USA, Canada and Germany and a fellow of the Iowa Writing Program. He is currently pursuing a Ph.D in English and cultural studies at Cornell.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by hakanai(m): 12:20am On Jan 04, 2012
Just predictable!!! Some how i knew that it would turn tribal sooner than later or turn into a battle.Already the SS is reminding the North yet again about its readiness to unleash harm to it,simply because of a protest that happens to be national and devoid of a particular tribe but all tribes.If the SS hate for the North is firm,we share same and all the treat they pose we understand and i know its best we watch until a day where the fools will reach there fill and there kai-kai will take them into a frenzy that spells war before they know Better.
        Always blowing hot and intimidating people.Who the Bleep are you guys.Just bring it on.No one is a fool  or scared here.If you like, because GEJ na your man open una hand collect the man feces and feed on it,so we know just how you crave to follow him all the way nonsense!!!
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by ACM10: 12:22am On Jan 04, 2012
dayokanu:

Everyone knows who the cowards that couldnt face Abacha, IBB were

Oh yes!

and they are:

1. Bola Tinubu (Senator)

2. Tokunbo Afikuyomi, a member of the former House of Representatives.

3. Alani Akinrinade (Second Republic defense boss)

4. Wole Soyinka (Nobel prize winner in literature)

5. THOUSANDS OF Yoruba LEADERS AND INTELLECTUALS WHO FLED AND BECAME REFUGEES DURING JUNE 12 SAGA

We know the cowards who preferred to be boy-boy to Balewa, Shagari, Tofa etc

Abacha too

Yours sincerely, sissy gen. oladipo diya

Abacha beat him to his tribes game of backstabbing

We know the cowards who went to kill sleeping politicians on their beds but

We also know who derives joy in shooting at unarmed civilians,

knew how to flee to Abidjan when faced by Military men

1. Bola Tinubu, senator

2. Tokunbo Afikuyomi, a member of the former House of Representatives.

3. Bola Tinubu (Senator)

4. Alani Akinrinade (Second Republic defense boss)

5. Wole Soyinka (Nobel prize winner in literature)

6. JUNE 12 PERIOD SAW THOUSANDS OF Yoruba LEADERS AND INTELLECTUAL WHO FLED AND BECAME REFUGEES

Fear overcame these Yoruba valiant men, and they fled at rumour of approaching gun.

In addition,

YARIBAS ARMY SISSY GENERALs OLARENWAJU AND DIYA CRIED LIKE A BABY KNEELING DOWN.
Yoruba AND AFENIFERE LEADERS KNELT DOWN AND WERE HUMILIATED BY ABACHA WHILE BEGGING.
Yoruba LEADERS INCLUDING BOLA IGE RECIEVED MONEY FROM MUSTAPHA TO DESTROY ABIOLA.
ALL Yoruba OBAS AND OONI OF IFE RECIEVED BRIBE MONEY UPON ABIOLA'S DEATH.

We all know, Its well documented

Yes, I agree with you. It is well documented.

Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Nobody: 12:23am On Jan 04, 2012
mikeansy:

Dayokanu is clearly in a race with himself on who will become the biggest fool on Nairaland. What a little kid!!!!!

Beaf kindly lecture us on the relationship between true Fedralism and fuel subsidy removal. Thank You!!!!

Thank you. He is unlikely to give you a straight answer though. He only shouts true federalism only to support his deceitful ideology. Ask him about state police and watch him tie himself in knots.

It was precisely a month ago that he was here arguing against state police. Today, he is suddenly the champion of true federalism. What a decietful fellow.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 12:24am On Jan 04, 2012
mikeansy:

Dayokanu is clearly in a race with himself on who will become the biggest fool on Nairaland. What a little kid!!!!!

Beaf kindly lecture us on the relationship between true Fedralism and fuel subsidy removal. Thank You!!!!

It is quite simple.

True federalism is an architecture that guarantees cultural and fiscal autonomies for all federating units. This is generally done in return for military protection, standards setting, judicial oversight etc.
The federating units are self sustaining and manage their resources (mineral, human, geographic etc) and pay taxes to the center. Out of those taxes, the federal govt may extend help to needy federating units.

With the above, it is plain to see why there will be no fuel subsidies under true federalsim. Even of greater impact, will be the fact that no federating unit will be able to approach Abuja with a monthly beggars bowl for its upkeep; true federalism is an arrangement that enforces healthy rivalry, rapid growth and competition. It challenges the creativity in us and makes that blossom.

It is true federalism that has made the United States of America what it is today. They have a federal structure based on the philosophy of freedom, liberty and the "American Dream" of self-fulfiment.
Contrast that with Nigeria that has a zero guiding philosophy or ideology, a country that revels in chaos. For example, what does a capitalist country gain with chaotic policies like fuel subsidies for consumption, something that is only practised by crackpot nations? What sort of country subsidises consumption, if not a confused and chaotic place? We might as well subsidise toilet roll and fanta, while developed poil producers subsidise Research and Development, defense, science and tech, education, the incubation of high tech industries, manufacturing etc.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by aljharem3: 12:25am On Jan 04, 2012
haka_nai:

Just predictable!!! Some how i knew that it would turn tribal sooner than later or turn into a battle.Already the SS is reminding the North yet again about its readiness to unleash harm to it,simply because of a protest that happens to be national and devoid of a particular tribe but all tribes.If the SS hate for the North is firm,we share same and all the treat they pose we understand and i know its best we watch until a day where the fools will reach there fill and there kai-kai will take them into a frenzy that spells war before they know Better.
        Always blowing hot and intimidating people.Who the bleep are you guys.Just bring it on.No one is a fool  or scared here.If you like, because GEJ na your man open una hand collect the man feces and feed on it,so we know just how you crave to follow him all the way nonsense!!!

aboki, if you believe that the SS hate the north then you would believe anything.

Beaf and his goons are the ones trying to tribalise the WHOLE ISSUE.

you see some are saying it a SW protest while others are calling it north protest so which one should we believe.

Tomorrow, if the north or sw does the same, they would call it tribalism.

Look at during OBJ ear and Abacha ear. there was protest all over the country because the North and Yorubas are void of tribalism. now gej is there, we cannot protest again because all of a sudden we are tribalist .

Beaf, dmainboss, Point B etc and all other goons should contiune. Allah/God is with us. Amin
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by realchange: 12:27am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

It is quite simple.

True federalism is an architecture that guarantees cultural and fiscal autonomies for all federating units. This is generally done in return for military protection, standards setting, judicial oversight etc.
The federating units are self sustaining and manage their resources (mineral, human, geographic etc) and pay taxes to the center. Out of those taxes, the federal govt may extend help to needy federating units.

With the above, it is plain to see why there will be no fuel subsidies under true federalsim. Even of greater impact, will be the fact that no federating unit will be able to approach Abuja with a monthly beggars bowl for its upkeep; true federalism is an arrangement that enforces healthy rivalry, rapid growth and competition. It challenges the creativity in us and makes that blossom.

It is true federalism that has made the United States of America what it is today. They have a federal structure based on the philosophy of freedom, liberty and the "American Dream" of self-fulfiment.
Contrast that with Nigeria that has a zero guiding philosophy or ideology, a country that revels in chaos. For example, what does a capitalist country gain with chaotic policies like fuel subsidies for consumption, something that is only practised by crackpot nations? What sort of country subsidises consumption, if not a confused and chaotic place? We might as well subsidise toilet roll and fanta, while developed poil producers subsidise Research and Development, defense, science and tech, education, the incubation of high tech industries, manufacturing etc.

crackpots like naija.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Horus(m): 12:28am On Jan 04, 2012
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAipvp7V6Dc&feature=player_embedded#![/flash]

Nigerian fuel protests heat up
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Katsumoto: 12:29am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

Thank you. Your position on Nigeria is through the prism of bigotry as usual.
Forget the fairy tales of where anybody comes from and simply tell us why you are not suggesting a revolution against your governor or local govt chairman who are doing absolutely nothing to industrialise your state, provide jobs and create hope for your kids?

Why would any right thinking person reach above their local govt and state govts, all the way to the FG for their development? Don't you think something is fundamentally wrong with such thinking? If you ask me, it is such mental laziness and the yearning for unfortunate culture of freebies that is the reason Nigeria is corrupt and undeveloped.

Only lazy, unimaginative hypocrites are demonstrating.

Beaf,

Crude oil like most other commodities are gifts of nature/the Almighty. The presence of these commodities in any region does not make those inhabiting the blessed region more hardworking or lazier than those not blessed with such resources. There are too many examples to cite. Your point that those protesting are lazy while those who 'OWN' the oil are hardworking is somewhat mis-guided. Most of those protesting are likely to be people with jobs and/or businesses. Lazy people will not protest because they will simply continue to receive their income through illegal means.

I believe that all parts of Nigeria are blessed with some form of natural resources. It is the laziness and incompetence of those at the centre that prevent the development of these other resources.

You are right that with federalism being practiced, non-oil producing areas/regions will most likely not receive subsidy but unless the oil-producing areas are self-sufficient, they will still feel the effects of the subsidy removal because other factors of production will be affected by the removal of the subsidy. The cost of living will increase all over Nigeria. Are you suggesting that those in oil producing communities have some buffer to cushion the effects? Besides what is stopping the C-I-C, who is from the Niger Delta, from sponsoring a bill that will result in the practice of true federalism?

Lastly, all Nigerian people will be affected by the removal regardless of whether they protest or not.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by realchange: 12:29am On Jan 04, 2012
why dem no subsidize suya and nama meat? lol
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by realchange: 12:32am On Jan 04, 2012
Horus:

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAipvp7V6Dc&feature=player_embedded#![/flash]

Nigerian fuel protests heat up

no be bulala abi na koboko dat soja take wire protester so? lol  grin
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 12:33am On Jan 04, 2012
haka_nai:

Always blowing hot and intimidating people.Who the bleep are you guys.Just bring it on.No one is a fool  or scared here.If you like, because GEJ na your man open una hand collect the man feces and feed on it,so we know just how you crave to follow him all the way nonsense!!!

Stop saying laughable things and simply make your agenda known. I will ask again, why have you not carried out a revolution against your useless local govt chairman an your governor?
Your state is already fed free by the FG, why are you demanding more? Yet, your state and LG are directly responsible for your upkeep while the FG is not.
Your fight seems very odd and contrived, so I ask what is driving it? Bigotry?

The pain of the removal of fuel subsidy is real, but practically everyone agrees that its benefits are even more so.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 12:39am On Jan 04, 2012
@Gbawe
I know Ogaga Ifowodo personally as a friend. I can tell you that I even know when he changed his name to Ogaga.
It is wrong for you to twist his words to forge your intellectual ground scrappings and lies.

He called for a dissolution of the country and I back that. Every man, when you have your own country, then demand fuel subsidy.

The comedy on NL is reaching id!ot level.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by sheyguy: 12:49am On Jan 04, 2012
@BEAF dont forget there was no oil in pre-1960s when we all depended on money from tin minning in jos, plateau state. Whenever there was oil on the waters of ND and they had no source of livelihood they enjoyed benefits from the tin money without complain.
Dont also forget the days of agriculture were certain percentage of the regional procedes went back to the regions, if Gej and his brothers feel they deserve more why not increase the 13% derivation they are getting like OBJ did when he took it from 3 to 13%.
Why is it always the SS/SE causing problems when it comes to benefits and resources control. Dont forget everybody was allowed to work in the mines of jos, in agriculture the west contributed very large amount compared to others but there was no noise from their angle.
The ss/se has always been the most lazy set of pple mentally, look @ all their freedom fighters/top men and it is easy to see: Tom polo, Gen Togo, Asari Dokubo, beaf and co on NL, Okah, Alams, Sylva, Gej, Dame, Dickson.
Beaf, i am eagerly waiting if u r man enuf to reply me . . . .

It seems u av no answer for me, i will take that to mean u av realized ur mistakes by starting this thread and u av decided to humble urself . . . . At least for the 1st time ever. . . . .lol
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by sheyguy: 12:50am On Jan 04, 2012
It is clear someone is outa ideas here . . . . .and google cant rescue him. . . . .lol.
That's the bad part of google, it does not change history for folks who can't consult her b4 comming here to start a thread.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Gbawe: 12:55am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

@Gbawe
I know Ogaga Ifowodo personally as a friend. I can tell you that I even know when he changed his name to Ogaga.
It is wrong for you to twist his words to forge your intellectual ground scrappings and lies.

He called for a dissolution of the country and I back that. Every man, when you have your own country, then demand fuel subsidy.

The comedy on NL is reaching id!ot level.

Are you capable of acting principled for even one second in your life? Whether he is your friend or not, who cares? What is obvious is that on fuel subsidy, and as a decent Nigerian from an oil producing state conversant with how the less priviledged will suffer immensely, Ifowodo clearly does not agree with your silly stance and attempt to whip up ethnic and feudal senstiments . That is my point . I highlight a part of what he wrote again. I think it is clear you are just up to your usual weasly mischief by now mentioning that ifowodo is your friend and that he "called for the dissolution of Nigeria" blah, blah, blah. What is clear is that the man , unlike you, is vehemently against subsidy removal.

Now is the time for all Nigerians—except, of course, the thieving one percent—wherever they may be, to stand up and be counted on the side of the masses. We must make Jonathan reverse his punitive decision to withdraw oil “subsidy.” We must compel him to do the only right thing: clean up the mess in the oil sector; recover the billions and trillions stolen by the oil cartel his administration has identified; drastically reduce the cost of government, in particular the astronomical salaries and allowances paid to all elected and appointive offices; free himself from the clutches of the IMF and their local agents; and swear a new oath to serve the people and not himself or his remorseless party and coterie of nation-wreckers.

It is now or never! Time has run out on Nigeria—well, by my nation-clock, it is a minute to the midnight of disintegration! Unless we fight to fold the wings of time.

Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

@Gbawe

If we ask Ogaga if your[b] REAL NAME[/b] is RENO OMOKRI (the one that writes exactly like you and is always getting his balls blown off on twitter) as majority have alluded to on NL what do you think his answer will be?
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 1:09am On Jan 04, 2012
Katsumoto:

Beaf,

Crude oil like most other commodities are gifts of nature/the Almighty. The presence of these commodities in any region does not make those inhabiting the blessed region more hardworking or lazier than those not blessed with such resources. There are too many examples to cite. Your point that those protesting are lazy while those who 'OWN' the oil are hardworking is somewhat mis-guided. Most of those protesting are likely to be people with jobs and/or businesses. Lazy people will not protest because they will simply continue to receive their income through illegal means.

Water is also a "gift of nature/the Almighty," should we not be out there protesting for it to be subsidised? Should we not do the same for sand? Both these things cost the average Nigerian a pretty penny.
The fact that some of the protesters are in jobs or run businesses does not mean they are not mentally lazy and unimaginative. Even Palestine, locked down as it is, is making strides in science and tech through private companies. Whereas, our fellow Nigerians are demonstrating for freebies! Yet, for all their suits and ties, have no enterprises worth showing to the outside World. The demonstration is almost like blackmail or armed robbery.
Something drastic needs to be done to jerk their dormant brains into action.

More than anything, politicians from sections of the country have seized on the mental laziness of the average person to move the country to the brink. It is not surprising that few of these freebie loving troublemakers have never suffered oil polluted foul smelling tap water. They are only there for the freebies, leading their blind people to the precipice.

Katsumoto:

I believe that all parts of Nigeria are blessed with some form of natural resources. It is the laziness and incompetence of those at the centre that prevent the development of these other resources.

So, we are back to the FG doing every little thing for us? Like I said earlier, in our skewed thinking, our governors and LG chairmen were elected for nothing. In other countries, representatives of the people go crazy to ensure that their electorate gets every benefit accruing to them. Our 100% reliance on the FG is a sorry hangover from military dictatorship times, we have been so traumatised that the average Nigerian cannot differenciate between left and right; a confused people, living in chaos.

Katsumoto:

You are right that with federalism being practiced, non-oil producing areas/regions will most likely not receive subsidy but unless the oil-producing areas are self-sufficient, they will still feel the effects of the subsidy removal because other factors of production will be affected by the removal of the subsidy. The cost of living will increase all over Nigeria. Are you suggesting that those in oil producing communities have some buffer to cushion the effects? Besides what is stopping the C-I-C, who is from the Niger Delta, from sponsoring a bill that will result in the practice of true federalism?

Lastly, all Nigerian people will be affected by the removal regardless of whether they protest or not.

Oil producing areas have no buffer and you are right that all will feel the pain. Somehow, people from those areas are swayed by the argument that the removal is good for the economy, as are all unbiased observers.
My question is simple, why are the receivers of largesse raging, while those from whose pollutted lands and rap'ed communities the gifts are sourced, are not? Why the contrived pain?
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by sheyguy: 1:12am On Jan 04, 2012
kingoflag:

If we ask Ogaga if your[b] REAL NAME[/b] is RENO OMOKRI as majority have alluded to on NL what do you think his answer will be?

Dont even go there now, "Egbon wa RAZIST"  is not man enuf and too confused right now for that. . . . .lol
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Nobody: 1:13am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf

Thanks for trying to explain Fedralism. Well I know what fedralism is but what I don't quite know is how it directly relates to this topic of fuel subsidy removal. If there was true fedralism in Nigeria, it will simply mean revenue accrued from "CRUDE OIL" not petrol, not diesel  will be controlled by either individuals or cummunities where this oil exists.  Even at that if we were practicing true Fedralism government could still be in control of refineries as Nationalised oil companies (like NNPC) or you can have refineries owned by co-operations or individuals.

The reason we have fuel subsidy is because we have a dodgy system where Government wants to control revenue from drilling and marketing of crude oil, refining of crude and marketing of its by-products. Now because of our inefficiency we are unable to refine petrol and diesel locally to full capacity and are having to rely on imports. Now in order for the citizens who do not deserve to suffer as a result of failure of Government not to bear the full brunt of Government inefficiency "fuel subsidy" was introduced as some kind of buffer to gyrations in international oil market. This makes sense because the man from oloibiri or any Nigerian for that matter have no business buying petrol more expensive because Iran/USA are at dispute. Ideally if we were refining locally and are self reliant turbulence in the international market should not be our business.  This is why we have fuel subsidy to make up for the fact that we are not refining locally in order to shield the people from the consequences.

This has nothing to do with introducing true fedralism. Introduction of true fedralism will start from sending a bill to NASS to redistribute power from the centre to the fedrating units and can not be about subjecting the Nigerian people to further hardship, or increasing taxes unjustly on all Nigerians when Government has not in anyway demonstrated its ability to manage our money judiciously. Make no mistake, this is a tax increase on all Nigerians with a wide reaching effect only matched by VAT increase in the Western world. The Government must reverse course, it is a dumb move.

This is our own bread and butter economics and Jonathan is failing the people on it. The PDP is doomed for this policy.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 1:18am On Jan 04, 2012
Gbawe:

Are you capable of acting principled for even one second in your life? Whether he is your friend or not, who cares? What is obvious is that on fuel subsidy, and as a decent Nigerian from an oil producing state conversant with how the less priviledged will suffer immensely, Ifowodo clearly does not agree with your silly stance and attempt to whip up ethnic and feudal senstiments . That is my point . I highlight a part of what he wrote again. I think it is clear you are just up to your usual weasly mischief by now mentioning that ifowodo is your friend and that he "called for the dissolution of Nigeria" blah, blah, blah. What is clear is that the man , unlike you, is vehemently against subsidy removal.

So what if he does not share my argument? We all have independent opinions which is something shameless name-droppers like you cannot understand.
Secondly, Ogaga is not a politician; so why bring his name up? Is he one of those hypocritical liars talking crap like Aregbesola? Did he demand the subsidy, only to double-cross and begin farting through his mouth like your Aregbesola?

Those who are fighting for subsidy freebies are just mentally lazy phucks, the sort of unproductive types Nigeria does not need.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by aljharem3: 1:20am On Jan 04, 2012
by martin ovono

[size=18pt]Govt is deceitful – Onovo[/size]

With that situation you expect a sensitive government to grow the economy and manpower. What the government is doing instead is to promote foreign products and the next thing is removing deregulation and allowing importation of petroleum products. What type of economic policy is that?

Let me tell why my party is against deregulation. Deregulation subverts the GDP, causes hyper inflation, leads to the devaluation of the naira, and devaluation of the real income of workers. It will lead to mass poverty, massive unemployment and industrial crises and death of few surviving industries.

Since 1999 we changed into what we now call democracy, which to me criminocracy. our entire economic sector has changed into a negative trend because this is not a democracy. If it is a democracy all the indices will show in all sectors. If this is a government that is sensitive to development you would have seen the trend in development of the nation.

Another thing is, is there actually a subsidy? Because all studies show that there is no subsidy, even the NNPC study showed that there is no subsidy. Decree 24 of 1995 by Abacha showed that was no subsidy; former Economic Adviser, Professor Aluko said that there is no subsidy.

Former Petroleum Minister, Tam David West said there is no subsidy. Even former Head of State, General Buhari confirmed that there is no subsidy yet government insists that there is subsidy by trying to confuse people.

Remember Obasanjo increased oil price several times with the reason that it would boost the economy with accruals from the oil price. Tell me, since then has the economy been boosted? Now, they have removed the oil subsidy with the same reason. Tell me, how can Nigerians believe them?

You said there was subsidy but the government claimed it spent N1.3 trillion on it.

I have been telling you about deceit, all these are deceit. Check the list of those that benefitted from the subsidy, are they not their friends? Check those who financed the PDP elections and the launching of the party secretariat in Abuja, and then you will know what I am talking.

If not, tell me what concerns a construction company with oil importation and oil subsidy. Again I want to tell you the list the Senate published is just to divert attention, later it will go like the power investigation done by the Hon. Ndudi Elumelu committee of the House of Reps and others.

How do you see comments that Nigerian refineries are being sabotaged by some people, who are equally frustrating the building of new ones even when licenses have been given to some people?

What is the work of the SSS if there is sabotage on any of the country’s investments? If there is actually a sabotage or a syndicate the SSS should investigate them. It an incompetent government that gives such reasons. It is because of the blackmail and illegitimacy of those in power that make them not to act.

They are not sensitive to the plight of Nigerians. The Nigerian refineries are not working because of the same reason the Benin-Ore road is not working and the Nigerian Railway Corporation NRC and others are not working. It is the same reason taht late Ojukwu and late President Yar’ Adua traveled abroad for medical treatment.

What do you think is the way forward for the country?

First of all, we must get an ethical leader, who is legitimately voted in to fight corruption because the corrupt can not fight corruption.

Check what the former EFCC chairman said. According to her, there is government interference in the fight against corruption that is why there is bottle neck in the fight against corruption and all those who looted and are looting the country’s wealth are moving about free. We must change the leadership of the government, not those who want to initiate single term of government.

Your party the AA, was the first to take INEC and President Jonathan to court and up till now you have rejected the outcome of the 2011 general election that was considered free fair by international and local observers, why?

First of all your presumption was wrong. International observers did not conclude that the election was free and fair. Absolutely to our party, the Action Alliance, there was no election.

http://vml1.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/onovo-2.jpg
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Nobody: 1:24am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

So, we are back to the FG doing every little thing for us? Like I said earlier, in our skewed thinking, our governors and LG chairmen were elected for nothing. In other countries, representatives of the people go crazy to ensure that their electorate gets every benefit accruing to them. Our 100% reliance on the FG is a sorry hangover from military dictatorship times, we have been so traumatised that the average Nigerian cannot differenciate between left and right; a confused people, living in chaos.

Is this different from what the proponents of state police were saying last month when you argued it was a terrible idea?
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by sheyguy: 1:27am On Jan 04, 2012
@mikeansy, if i may add to ur post above, the govt and cbn gives intervention funds to various establishments for economic reasons but due to ineffeciency and other factors these funds dont get to the majority of the populace. The petrol subsidy is the most common and widely accesible if not the most efficient form of intervention for a common man in Nigeria of today.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 1:32am On Jan 04, 2012
mikeansy:

Beaf

Thanks for trying to explain Fedralism. Well I know what fedralism is but what I don't quite know is how it directly relates to this topic of fuel subsidy removal. If there was true fedralism in Nigeria, it will simply mean revenue accrued from "CRUDE OIL" not petrol, not diesel  will be controlled by either individuals or cummunities where this oil exists.  Even at that if we were practicing true Fedralism government could still be in control of refineries as Nationalised oil companies (like NNPC) or you can have refineries owned by co-operations or individuals.

The reason we have fuel subsidy is because we have a dodgy system where Government wants to control revenue from drilling and marketing of crude oil, refining of crude and marketing of its by-products. Now because of our inefficiency we are unable to refine petrol and diesel locally to full capacity and are having to rely on imports. Now in order for the citizens who do not deserve to suffer as a result of failure of Government not to bear the full brunt of Government inefficiency "fuel subsidy" was introduced as some kind of buffer to gyrations in international oil market. This makes sense because the man from oloibiri or any Nigerian for that matter have no business buying petrol more expensive because Iran/USA are at dispute. Ideally if we were refining locally and are self reliant turbulence in the international market should not be our business.  This is why we have fuel subsidy to make up for the fact that we are not refining locally in order to shield the people from the consequences.

This has nothing to do with introducing true fedralism. Introduction of true fedralism will start from sending a bill to NASS to redistribute power from the centre to the fedrating units and can not be about subjecting the Nigerian people to further hardship, or increasing taxes unjustly on all Nigerians when Government has not in anyway demonstrated its ability to manage our money judiciously. Make no mistake, this is a tax increase on all Nigerians with a wide reaching effect only matched by VAT increase in the Western world. The Government must reverse course, it is a dumb move.

This is our own bread and butter economics and Jonathan is failing the people on it. The PDP is doomed for this policy.

The fuel subsidy can only be removed with much more pain at a later date. The refineries are not working and Nigeria had to borrow to pay the subsidy, that is the stark reality.
Nigeria has been borrowing money to pay a subsidy for fuel consumption in a country that is not generating any money. That is an unworkable situation.

I have used true federalsm figuratively, because those screaming loudest for the subsidy coincide with those whose screams are loudest for true federalism. That to me is hypocrisy.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Nobody: 1:34am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

The fuel subsidy can only be removed with much more pain at a later date. The refineries are not working and Nigeria had to borrow to pay the subsidy, that is the stark reality.
Nigeria has been borrowing money to pay a subsidy for fuel consumption in a country that is not generating any money. That is an unworkable situation.

I have used true federalsm figuratively, because those screaming loudest for the subsidy coincide with those whose screams are loudest for true federalism. That to me is hypocrisy.

Nigerian politicians are the highest paid in the world. Perhaps we wont have to borrow if the cost of Governance is reduced!

The last time I checked high wages for legislators, Governors, their staff, the large number of ministries we have, the large size of Government does not add anything back to the treasury. Any honest austerity measure must begin from there.

I think there is something wrong when a Nigerian Senator makes more money in Salary than a UK or US Senator and yet we know the story of unaccounted money in Nigeria which public officials squander!
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by aljharem3: 1:40am On Jan 04, 2012
mikeansy:

Nigerian politicians are the highest paid in the world. Perhaps we wont have to borrow if the cost of Governance is reduced!
finally.
[img]http://www.uproarcreations.com/Images/greeting%20cards/congratulations_card[1].gif[/img]

now to hear beaf's response
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Gbawe: 1:40am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

So what if he does not share my argument? We all have independent opinions[b] which is something shameless name-droppers like you cannot understand.[/b]
Secondly, Ogaga is not a politician; so why bring his name up? Is he one of those hypocritical liars talking crap like Aregbesola? Did he demand the subsidy, only to double-cross and begin farting through his mouth like your Aregbesola?

Those who are fighting for subsidy freebies are just mentally lazy phucks, the sort of unproductive types Nigeria does not need.

Shameless dolt. Do you know what name-dropping is? Are you not the name-dropper here with how you imply you know Ifowodo personally as if that matters at all to this discussion? I merely sought to show that decent Nigerians , to include those from oil producing States, are vehemently against subsidy removal . This directly rubbishes your silly attempt to whip up ehtnic and feudal discontent via painting all those who oppose subsidy as  "mentally lazy phucks"  .

As for Aregbesola, I can only say take a cold shower. Dude is happily married so take your 'fantasies' elsewhere and leave the man alone. You lust speak after Aregbesola 24/7 to include when, glaringly, he is not even remotely related to the topic. Can you not take this your embarrassing crush elsewhere?

Anyway, below I present another "mentally lazy phuck" who is vehemently urging Nigerians to resist the wicked decision of your paymaster. You will, as is always the case, soon be forced to eat your latest spammed vomit  when all Nigerians from every corner speak in favour of resisting this wickedness. You have no shame. If you can feign ignorance of how Dokpesi went on to work on GEJ's campaign while you spammed the forum claiming he would rot in jail, I expect you to continue shamelessly spamming the forum with your latest catchphrase even as we will daily bring you evidence of Nigerians from all walks of life , to include those from oil producing States, resisting this wicked act.

http://saharareporters.com/article/illegal-insensitive-and-provocative-withdrawal-fuel-subsidy

The Illegal, Insensitive And Provocative Withdrawal Of Fuel Subsidy
Posted: January 4, 2012 - 00:53

Festus Keyamo

By Festus Keyamo

I left for the United States for a two-week holiday on the 27th of December 2011, completely unaware that the federal government would suddenly withdraw petrol subsidy on the 1st of January 2012. I wish I stayed behind to be part this early protests against this satanic move by the federal government. But I will be back in a few days to be a part of any subsequent protests.

The sudden withdrawal of the subsidy is nothing but a complete disservice to the masses of our great country. This is because in any given situation the primary function of government is to protect the weak from the powerful; to protect the defenseless many from the powerful few; to protect the poor from the manipulative tendencies of the rich. That is why the concept of government arose in the first place from Thomas Hobbes state of nature. Any economic theory that does not promote these principles is a bad economic theory. By removing the subsidy on petroleum products government has shirked these responsibilities and has thrown the masses to the dogs. We are now in the state of nature in the petroleum sector.

By its own arguments about the 'powerful few' in the petroleum sector that take undue advantage of subsidy to enrich themselves, government has finally admitted that it cannot confront these individuals, tackle the corruption in the sector and bring them to book. Instead government has decided to turn the barrel of its gun on the defenseless masses and to pour its venom on them via the removal of the subsidy.

This decision is callous, it is wicked and insensitive. I call on all Nigerians to resist this policy and continue to insist that government properly plays its role of managing the subsidy program to eliminate waste and check corruption in the system. We cannot suffer for the ineptitude of the government. That is what the removal of subsidy is all about. We have a right to protest peacefully and we should continue to do so until this policy is reversed.

on my part i am asking anybody with credible information and evidence as to the corruption in the petroleum sector to come forward with them so that i can proceed to court to ask for the right of private prosecution to bring them to justice. We cannot fold our arms and wait for the thief to catch the thief.

Thank you

Festus Keyamo, esq.
Houston, Texas, Tuesday, January 3, 2012.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Nobody: 1:41am On Jan 04, 2012
mikeansy:

The last time I checked high wages for legislators, Governors, their staff, the large number of ministries we have, the large size of Government does not add anything back to the Government. Any honest austerity measure must begin from there.

You are indirectly asking GEJ to sack Beaf. He is part of the drain on our resources, that is why he's fighting back so hard.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by aljharem3: 1:42am On Jan 04, 2012
Gbawe:

Shameless dolt. Do you know what name-dropper is? Are you not the name-dropper via implying you know Ifowodo personally? I merely sought to show that decent Nigerians , to include those from oil producing States, are vehemently against subsidy removal . This directly rubbishes your silly attempt to whip up ehtnic and feudal discontent.

As for Aregbesola, I can only say take a cold shower. Dude is happily married so take your 'fantasies' elsewhere and leave the man alone. You lust speak after Aregbesola 24/7 to include when, glaringly, he is not even remotely related to the topic. Can you not take this your embarrassing crush elsewhere?

Anyway, below I present another "mentally lazy phuck" who is vehemently urging Nigerians to resist the wicked decision of your paymaster. You will, as is always the case, soon be forced to eat your latest spammed vomit  when all Nigerians from every corner speak in favour of resisting this wickedness. You have no shame. If you can feign ignorance of how Dokpesi went on to work on GEJ's campaign while you spammed the forum claiming he would rot in jail, I expect you to continue shamelessly spamming the forum with your latest catchphrase even as we will daily bring you evidence of Nigerians from all walks of life , to include those also from oil producing States, resisting this wicked act.

http://saharareporters.com/article/illegal-insensitive-and-provocative-withdrawal-fuel-subsidy

lol maybe he knows festus keyamo as well
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by Beaf: 1:45am On Jan 04, 2012
^
Yeah, I can point out his family compound. Die if you like.

mikeansy:

The last time I checked high wages for legislators, Governors, their staff, the large number of ministries we have, the large size of Government does not add anything back to the Government. Any honest austerity measure must begin from there.

I think there is something wrong when a Nigerian Senator makes more money in Salary than a UK or US Senator and yet we know the story of unaccounted money in Nigeria which public officials squander!

I 100% agree with the above.

If anybody is suggesting riots and burning for the purpose of reducing the salaries of NASS members; then I am all for it. We have been taken for a ride for too long by a group of overpaid loafers, who know more about corruption than how to legislate progress.

Hitting the streets to force through a change in the constitution that will bring about smaller govt also has my support.
Re: Why Are There No Subsidy Protests In The SE/SS Oil Producing States? by aljharem3: 1:48am On Jan 04, 2012
Beaf:

^
Yeah, I can point out his family compound. Die if you like.

I 100% agree with the above.

If anybody is suggesting riots and burning for the purpose of reducing the salaries of NASS members; then I am all for it. We have been taken for a ride for too long by a group of overpaid loafers, who know more about corruption than how to legislate progress.

Hitting the streets to force through a change in the constitution that will bring about smaller govt also has my support.
[size=15pt]Is that not what Falana told Iweala and co at the open meeting on channels. Why have they not done that yet before the removal ? [/size]

care to answer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Maina Drags Reno Omokri To Court Over Corruption Allegations, Seeks N4bn / Enugu Government To Shut Schools, Markets Obeying ‘sit-at-home’ Monday -Gov Mbah / 6 Reasons Why I Think it was wise for Atiku to Avoid a Debate without Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.