Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? (25981 Views)

Past Adu: Yoruba Christians Have Peculiar Spiritual Challenges – Daily Sun / Adeyinka Grandson's Message To Yoruba Muslims / The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Kilode1: 2:57pm On Jan 20, 2012
Katsumoto:

grin grin grin

Historical ke!!!!!!!!!!! lipsrsealed I will say no more.

I checked ticket prices. I concluded it's not a good time to sell my Okada. embarassed

I can't be like Oga Katz, but one day, I must unite with my long lost Irma bonitas. Me sef wan learn history grin
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 3:47pm On Jan 20, 2012
Kilode?!:

I checked ticket prices. I concluded it's not a good time to sell my Okada. embarassed

I can't be like Oga Katz, but one day, I must unite with my long lost Irma bonitas. Me sef wan learn history grin

Ticket prices in January for Carnival in february!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be having a laugh.

You have to book well in advance. By October, you won't even be able to get accommodation unless you know someone who has a place.

You want to learn history with bonitas!!!!!!!!!!! No, no no - as a Wande Abimbola you will only be restricted to the historical/spiritual areas such as model market, Pelurinho, etc
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Kilode1: 5:14pm On Jan 20, 2012
Katsumoto:

Ticket prices in January for Carnival in february!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be having a laugh.

You have to book well in advance. By October, you won't even be able to get accommodation unless you know someone who has a place.

You want to learn history with bonitas!!!!!!!!!!! No, no no - as a Wande Abimbola you will only be restricted to the historical/spiritual areas such as model market, Pelurinho, etc

Yes, I messed up, maybe next year sha. Insha Allahu, Lagbara Eledua.

As per restriction, iro niyen, enikan ko le mu afefe, I must say hello to my sistas angry
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 20, 2012
Kilode?!:

. . It seems you already packed your hand luggage. Prof Kasu wanderlust.

I'm not fooled. I know you are not going for the historical experience grin

At topic: We have discussed this several times on NL. To understand the concept of religious plurality WRT yoruba social, religious and cultural worldview, you need to come with a mind ready to learn.

The Irunmoles don't hate.

Like Baba Wande Abimbola brilliantly concluded, Ifa (the concept, not necessarily the religion) will heal the world.

Those who will learn will learn, casting pearls before swines is a fruitless, thankless effort.

The bolded is the key message, show me a philosophy or religious thought that can trump it
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Kilode1: 7:10pm On Jan 20, 2012
^

None whatsoever. cool
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by nduchucks: 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2012
Kilode?!:

Ifa (the concept, not necessarily the religion) will heal the world.

Please enlighten me as to the reason why Ifa religion/concept is not another abominable idol worship. 

La ilaha illa Allah! We are all aware of where kafiris will end up.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 20, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Please enlighten me as to the reason why Ifa religion/concept is not another abominable idol worship. 

Where? Jahanam!!! grin grin grin grin. I don't want to derail this thread, abeg!!!
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by nduchucks: 8:39pm On Jan 20, 2012
@naijababe, I asked for enlightenment - please focus on that if you are able to. Thanks.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 20, 2012
ndu_chucks:

@naijababe, I asked for enlightenment - please focus on that if you are able to. Thanks.

And you do that by calling people names
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by nduchucks: 9:36pm On Jan 20, 2012
naijababe:

And you do that by calling people names

omoge, e mi ko ni agara lati ba oborin ja lori internet jor. fimi si'le o, afi ti o ba fe di iyawo mi.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 9:39pm On Jan 20, 2012
ndu_chucks:

omoge, e mi ko ni agara lati ba oborin ja lori internet jor. fimi si'le o, afi ti o ba fe di iyawo mi.

grin grin grin grin grin

Naijababe don get Hausa husband.

Naijababe and Usman (aka ndu chuks) sitting in a tree, K.I.S.S.I.N.G.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 20, 2012
Katsumoto:

grin grin grin grin grin

Naijababe don get Hausa husband.

Naijababe and Usman (aka ndu chuks) sitting in a tree, K.I.S.S.I.N.G.

U no well o Kasumu grin grin grin grin grin

ndu_chucks:

Lmao, shey na like dis dem dey 'toast' now?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tunnytox(m): 11:17pm On Jan 20, 2012
interesting thread cool
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Kilode1: 2:00pm On Jan 21, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Alhaji Ndubuisi Chukwuma,

I'm not sure why an Idol, icon, a representation of an idea or ideal is abominable.

I'll rather tell you why Ifa will heal the world.

It does not consider your religion abominable, it will rather edify and teach you than label you hell bound.

It has little time for violent proselytizing

It cares more about the ideals of Orunmila, probably more than it cares about Orunmila himself.

Want more?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Iolo(m): 3:30pm On Jan 21, 2012
I think Yoruba people somehow have managed to stay above religious beef as we have it with some other tribes.

Whether or not Fashola is a muslim or not isn't important. What is is that the average Yoruba doesn't care. When we vote, we don't vote based on religion.

Another thing is that most Yoruba muslim families have lots of xtian family members and vice versa. Fasholas wife is Xtian. This is the kind of tolerance that is present in Yorubaland. I guess another important fact is that nobody seeks to convert anybody to any religion. If your a muslim or Xtian, its eida cause dats d way it is in your family or you chose one of both @ some point in your life.

Religion is basically looked @ from a family to family angle and not from a community or tribal aspect of things.

This doesn't mean Yorubas are more superior than any other tribes, but that's just the way we are. Tolerant people.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by nduchucks: 3:31pm On Jan 21, 2012
Kilode?!:

I'm not sure why an Idol, icon, a representation of an idea or ideal is abominable.

I'll rather tell you why Ifa will heal the world.

It does not consider your religion abominable, it will rather edify and teach you than label you hell bound.

It has little time for violent proselytizing

It cares more about the ideals of Orunmila, probably more than it cares about Orunmila himself.

Want more?

I'm all ears. Please tell me what Ifa is and how it will heal the world. I've always though it was the religion of uncivilized folks who are ignorant about modern day affairs. I'm ready to be educated (I assume you are not ignorant about this Ida), so please proceed.

P.S. Do not make any assumptions about my religion if I am yet to tell you what that religion is - my religion should irrelevant in the education you are going to provide.  

The video below shows uncivilized folks practicing this Ifa.  I await the day when you practitioners will use your babalawo to topple governments and remove corrupt officials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k9lGVF6jYN4

[flash=300,300]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k9lGVF6jYN4[/flash]
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by naja2: 3:32pm On Jan 21, 2012
most igbos are too myhopic hence their bigoted approach to every issue. Sorry the yorubas got it right, rather than being jealous how about u guys learn from them. In any case igbos are the most dis united people in Nigeria, an igbo man will gladly dupe another igbo man . Why blame every one else for your woes? Like i always say dont blame yoruba or hausa for you backwardness , you guys NEVER stand for any just course. Please yorubas are very united because they a very educated and exposed, they know religion is purely btw u and ur God rather than d other guys who prefer to make political profits wit religion. GOODLUCK TO U GUYS,
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by murtalaa(m): 3:33pm On Jan 21, 2012
ok, we get it. Yorubas are the best ethnic group that ever existed. Happy now?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 21, 2012
My second husband is both religion. aha
Muslim mom, christian dad, same household.
Learned to respect both religion.
I guess.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by valencia25(m): 3:45pm On Jan 21, 2012
It's all about religion here, I've done my part by sharing it ooo A must Read for all!!! http://naijamediaworld..com/2012/01/must-read-for-all.html?spref=tw
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by mpmp: 3:57pm On Jan 21, 2012
Yes, I give it to the Yoruba people.

they are first Yoruba before religious affillations.

I think its a result of education, and the ability to think above average. Fashola and his Christian wife are always present at The Experience Lagos.
In fact, he would stay throughout the event, and the camera will capture him several times.

That cant happen in the North. The northern muslim leader would rather appoint someone to go represent him. Thats besides the fact that he would force his wife to change her faith, even if she doesnt believe in it.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by chmod777: 4:36pm On Jan 21, 2012
[size=16pt]NL and Igbophobia. This is getting out of hand. There are over 200 tribes in Nigeria but yet discussions on Igbo is always the headline. Igbos are really great I must say. I hail una.
But please can someone explain to me why all the candidates supported by the Yorubas (with all due respect to this great tribe) have lost in their elections since 1999.
I remember a man came on channels prior to the election and was shouting, Yorubas are very sophisticated and advanced in politics and they would vote out PDP. But they ended up either loosing to PDP or betraying their ACN candidate in person of Ribadu.
[/size]
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Kilode1: 4:41pm On Jan 21, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I'm all ears. Please tell me what Ifa is and how it will heal the world. I've always though it was the religion of uncivilized folks who are ignorant about modern day affairs. I'm ready to be educated (I assume you are not ignorant about this Ida), so please proceed.

P.S. Do not make any assumptions about my religion if I am yet to tell you what that religion is - my religion should irrelevant in the education you are going to provide.  

The video below shows uncivilized folks practicing this Ifa.  I await the day when you practitioners will use your babalawo to topple governments and remove corrupt officials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k9lGVF6jYN4

[flash=300,300]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k9lGVF6jYN4[/flash]

Alhaji ti ko re Mecca  grin

Oh I did not mention your religion, I just gave you a pilgrims title due to your use of Arabic phrases, nothing wrong with that or is there?

I'm not an expert, I'm a learner and a searcher. follow the link below and buy Wande Abimbola's book "Ifa Will Mend Our Broken World". I'll also recommend: "Orisa Devotion as World Religion"

Both books were written by authorities, in this case I'll defer to them, read, then we can discuss.

I'll like to add that it's strange to call, Wole Soyinka, Wande Abimbola and the amazingly erudite Oluopona of Havard uncivilized (he edited the second book) but you are entitled to your opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0965973905

Nothing wrong with uncivilized it's not really a bad thing in my view, it's a state of being, not very easy to define objectively too, I bet the man with the opele can philosophize and teach you a thing or too about life, maybe impart some life changing wisdom too.

Anyway, grab the books.

As per toppling governments, leave that to warriors, there are enough of them around. Ifa nor be politics.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by chmod777: 4:48pm On Jan 21, 2012
naja2:

most igbos are too myhopic hence their bigoted approach to every issue. Sorry the yorubas got it right, rather than being jealous how about u guys learn from them. In any case igbos are the most dis united people in Nigeria, an igbo man will gladly dupe another igbo man . Why blame every one else for your woes? Like i always say dont blame yoruba or hausa for you backwardness , you guys NEVER stand for any just course. Please yorubas are very united because they a very educated and exposed, they know religion is purely btw u and ur God rather than d other guys who prefer to make political profits wit religion. GOODLUCK TO U GUYS,

[size=14pt]My brother,
Nigerians in general including you are educated illiterates. A statistic given 50yrs ago is quoted to represent today's figures. I remember many years back Nigeria was rated the happiest people, yet you see the so called elites of Nigeria quoting this over expired data to reflect present  situation.
Now getting back to of  rate education, I quote you my brother " Please yorubas are very united because they a very educated and exposed,[/i], and also that [i]Ekiti is the most educationally developed state in Nigeria. I would rather refer you to BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16510922

when you have real and true data, then you realize perhaps you were once first but now things have changed. But being blind folded by old records, makes you stagnant while your opponent grows faster. Wake up people.
This is directed to ALL tribes----- tnx
[/size]
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 21, 2012
Yorubas and Igbos are actually very dumb - excuse my insult but that's the way they behave. Here we are in the midst of serious problems and you are here splitting hairs - what a dumb poster. What is the way forward?

No wonder the killings in the north would continue when the Southerners are behaving like babies.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by nduchucks: 4:57pm On Jan 21, 2012
@Kilode!, your words: "I'll rather tell you why Ifa will heal the world. " I am still waiting for you to do this. Why the sudden passing of the buck and directing me to read various books?

If you can't deliver of 'promises' stop making them, abi Ifa has told you to chicken out ni?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by bashr8: 5:01pm On Jan 21, 2012
naja2:

Typical Yoruba man very dumb,stupid and etnicentric, what has igbos got to do with your useless thread, imagine a yorubamantelling igbos that they are not united,  you yorubas are the most disunited group in Nigeria,  your leaders have robbed and scammed you so much that yorubaland now have over 60 percent poverty next to the north, almajiro is now common in yorubaland , confused bunch of people ,tell me where in history of Nigeria where yorubas where united? Not even during the civil war neither now the igbos are speaking with one voice while you people keep clowning about and talking from both sides of the mouth. Demons, the only difference between you and the hausas is that you are cowards.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tlops(m): 5:15pm On Jan 21, 2012
The Igbo people have had heavily fragmented and politically independent communities.[29] Before knowledge of Europeans and full exposure to other neighbouring ethnic groups, the Igbo did not have a strong identity as one people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Desola(f): 5:19pm On Jan 21, 2012
O ga gan ni.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by genxris: 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2012
this topic is supposed to be restricted to yoruba xtians &muslim interaction pattern but inferiority complex &abusive nature of d yoruba poster & his tribesmen in NL has made them drag d ibo's into it.And u dont kip mentioning d killings in d north as if it's only d ibo's that r casualties,many yoruba people live up their too.Yes we may neva v a muslim governor in ibo land because we are 99.5% christians here so that's it and we practise intermarriage more than any tribe in nigeria, turn all dis hatred to lov
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by bashr8: 5:27pm On Jan 21, 2012
genxris:

this topic is supposed to be restricted to yoruba xtians &muslim interaction pattern but inferiority complex &abusive nature of d yoruba poster & his tribesmen in NL has made them drag d ibo's into it.And u dont kip mentioning d killings in d north as if it's only d ibo's that r casualties,many yoruba people live up their too.Yes we may neva v a muslim governor in ibo land because we are 99.5% christians here so that's it and we practise intermarriage more than any tribe in nigeria, turn all dis hatred to lov

Yorubas don't care about their people you should have known that by now, they have been fighting wars among themselves before and after colonisation by Britain, no matter how many yorubas that die in the north they will never talk about it cause they don't want to upset the hausa-fulanis
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Kilode1: 5:38pm On Jan 21, 2012
ndu_chucks:

@Kilode!, your words: "I'll rather tell you why Ifa will heal the world. "  I am still waiting for you to do this. Why the sudden passing of the buck and directing me to read various books?

If you can't deliver of 'promises' stop making them, abi Ifa has told you to chicken out ni? 

Alhaji, I already gave a summarized reason of why I believe Ifa can and will heal the world, it immediately followed the same quote you copied, it was even itemized.

Now, I know you want me to expound on that, but I'll rather you read those books so we can have a proper discussion. There is nothing wrong with passing the buck to experts and elders who actually know more than you. So I'm proud to pass the buck to them.

my offer to discuss further after your readings still stands, let me know when you are done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PDP Compiles Members’ List Killed During Osun Poll / Nigerians To Know Their President Latest Wednesday - INEC / Water Scarcity Hits Jonathan’s Otuoke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.