Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? (25980 Views)

Past Adu: Yoruba Christians Have Peculiar Spiritual Challenges – Daily Sun / Adeyinka Grandson's Message To Yoruba Muslims / The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by OneNaira6: 3:37am On Feb 23, 2012
shocked shocked Even a thread that should have just been about Yoruba, yoruba just had to drag in Igbo into it.
Una are obsessed chei.

Hmm, na wa oo!!!.
Una have time, I think every Igbo should let the Yoruba bigots wallow in their ignorance na my own take on this.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Obalufon: 4:04pm On Apr 16, 2012
One_Naira: shocked shocked Even a thread that should have just been about Yoruba, Yoruba just had to drag in Igbo into it.
Una are obsessed chei.

Hmm, na wa oo!!!.
Una have time, I think every Igbo should let the Yoruba bigots wallow in their ignorance na my own take on this.

You people should try to be a scholar not a heckler.Learn about your own history first before you start judging others,.You ibo are delusional, you are desperately striving to be what you are not,that can only happen in you peoples dreams,not in reality, you can't change history you can only create one,'is not too late to start but not this way. first you need purge yourselves of your hatred towards your own race and greed .You are who you are,"Gorilla will never be a polar Bear" ,you want to be White ,you want to be Jew you want to be different from African race.Damn! you people don't have the cranial capacity for that,if you want that i guess you need to evolve ,YOU NEED EVOLUTION because you people were backward .Do you know up to 50s your people were barely clothed, majority were either naked or clothed in raffia thatches only your elders have a souvenir of vex-singlet and little piece of rapper to cover their lower part and living in 4feet mud hut .All your elites then passed through western region, they could all speak Yoruba fluently, Live with it ,you contributed nothing to civilization ,you hate us and you still continue to live in our land and adopt our mode of dressing .you people are too simple, fucking peon. We condone your shit, live with you in piece because we are humans.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 26, 2012
I know Yaruba people as very sneaky people. They won't stand in one place, if this side appears to be winning, they join, thats why they are scattered around many religions, beliefs.

Before the civil war, I mean when 30,000 Igbos were murdered in cold blood by the muslim, Yoruba people were playing hide and seek, I mean, they turned into their shells just like a tortise does. These people are not to be trusted especially these ones that call themselves Yoruba muslims. Inspite of all these mass murders around the world by muslims, somebody has the guts to join these animals. shocked Don't tell me the person doesn't enjoy it.

Please, I write this in the spirit of your celebration, enjoy.. grin
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by cjrane: 12:43pm On Oct 26, 2012
some yorrobbers are really silly.Wetin concern agbero with overload? whether yorrobber is christian hindu,buddist,moslem or pagan he is still the same treacherous deceptive fellow. The greatest yorrobber killer awolowo was supposedly christian!
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by ikennaj44: 5:21pm On Nov 21, 2014
I heard someone saying ibos should elect ibo Muslim as a governor, if I may ask, where are ibo Muslims residing in ibo land? am an ibo, I haven't seen an ibo Muslim before. where are they?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by okunoba(m): 1:58am On Nov 23, 2014
Hate and our inability to respect our fellow brothers is the disease killing the black nation. Should I write about how horrible and evil the whole ndigbo is, would my fellow igbo brothers like it? I am sure not. There is good and bad in all of us, no group as a monopoly on either. Most countries around the world have fought wars at one point in there history to keep the Union, the Biafran war was no different. Please stop hating a whole race because of the acts of a few, Ojukwu included. Have u haters heard, don't jump in the water if u can't swim or don't do the crime if u can't take the consequences. Yorubers just wanted peace, but the igbo and Hausa (leaders )wanted to rule at all cost, even if people had to die. No blame we owanbe people, blame the ambition of Ojukwu and Gowan.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by abbakacici: 6:30am On Nov 23, 2014
exotik:
Hey Exotic,

good. i always like your version of history because it is full of fairy tales and that are quite comical. grin

and what does that change? shango who became a yoruba god was born of of nupe woman. i actually like shango though, and i see him no different from the likes of arab mohammed. they were both killers/warriors who became revered as deities grin. and dont come and tell muslims dont worship mohammed but allah, when na mohammed dey tell dem wetin to do.

well, i never doubted that. the mere fact that oyo once enjoyed empire status proves that without reasonable doubt.

when did queen amina of zaria reign? and when did the fulani jihad take place? queen amina from the name alone already says they were muslims. or wasn’t queen amina the queen/or wife of king of an hausa state?

. for some funny reason/sad the hausas use Harbew names even before they convert to islam for example the a kano king In the year 900 ad was name Bagauda/dauda (Divid) and he was not a Christian nor muslim therefore is hard to know weather queen is muslim or pagan because her sister's name was zariya (zaria) he rename the city after her sister
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 23, 2014
sbeezy8:

urhhhhh
Majority of People in Ilorin were not a yoruba group and never were. they were actually Bariba and Nupe muslim prior to Yorubas reaching Ilorin and then Fulanis. so Ilorin being Muslim because of "conquest" makes no sense, Igbomina aswell, Majority back then were NOT yoruba- but today they have assimilated into being yoruba with Language/culture Mainly Language.

Some Kwara people will tell you they are not yoruba- cause they technically aren't - Thats like calling Eguns in Lagos, yoruba- cause many dont speak Egun but only yoruba- they still arent yoruba.
I have Ilorin family that are NOT yoruba but technically Nupe/Bariba and call themselves yoruba because of assimilating.

Whether ilorin is Yorubaland or not varies from opinion to opinion.

[size=14pt]CALL IT YORUBA INFLUENCE[/size]
Ask ur friends that have been to ILORIN the language they speak and majority of Ilorin marry from oyo,Lagos ,Ibadan.osun etc
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by abbakacici: 7:17am On Nov 23, 2014
world people i identified with 5 basic identity 1) nation, 2) religion, 3) tribe, 4) race, and 5) language and each one has its pros and cons
1) nationalism bring about racism/nationalism e.g western Europe where eastern european although white and christian are discriminated against, and they achieved this by sacrificing their tribe and religion because more than 90% of european dont know their tribe while current above 30-40% are atheists or Agnostic.

Pros it will bring about peaceful co-existent and development without mass immigration

2) Religion bring about religion bigotry : this bring about decline in tribe and race identification e.g North Africa were arab is now the official language while most of the local language are extinct or almost extinct

Pros it will bring about peaceful co-existent and development before the minority start asking for their full right

3) Tribe it being about bigotry : this will become worst if the minority or the neighbouring tribe are of different religion or race,

Pros it will bring about peaceful co-existent and development if all the neighbouring tribes are of the same religion, race and language example all Arab countries

4) Race this bring about racism : that is one race believe they are better than other

Pros it will bring about peaceful co-existent and development by given a practical race a common enemy e.g jews and arabs or white and black etc

5) Language : this is the less evil because unlike the above 4 it hardly lead to war but still has some cons, because people who dont speak the common language are seen as second class citizen example Shwahli in east africa, hausa in Northern Niger and Niger, Twana in botsawa etc

Pros it will bring about peaceful co-existent if neighbouring tribes share the same religion or tribe with main tribe/race

therefore yarubas practicing number 3, it dont make them better than the Igbo practicing 2/3 or the hausa practicing 5

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Arysexy(m): 7:50am On Nov 23, 2014
Seun and ngwakwe.

What is political about this jargon?

kindly move to ethnic or religious section.

Rubbish thread created by a deluded Yoruba loudmouth to bash igbos.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Obalufon: 12:09pm On Dec 11, 2014
sbeezy8:

urhhhhh
Majority of People in Ilorin were not a yoruba group and never were. they were actually Bariba and Nupe muslim prior to Yorubas reaching Ilorin and then Fulanis. so Ilorin being Muslim because of "conquest" makes no sense, Igbomina aswell, Majority back then were NOT yoruba- but today they have assimilated into being yoruba with Language/culture Mainly Language.

Some Kwara people will tell you they are not yoruba- cause they technically aren't - Thats like calling Eguns in Lagos, yoruba- cause many dont speak Egun but only yoruba- they still arent yoruba.
I have Ilorin family that are NOT yoruba but technically Nupe/Bariba and call themselves yoruba because of assimilating.

Whether ilorin is Yorubaland or not varies from opinion to opinion.

Yes your opinion..Believe what you want ilorin is Yoruba state .. Nupe and Bariba history is not complete without mentioning Yoruba..You dig it

[size=14pt]CALL IT YORUBA INFLUENCE[/size]
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by factsdigger: 5:08pm On May 20, 2016
Our popular offering song we sing at church then was TEWO GBEBO WA,BABA WA TEWO GBEBOWA,BAB OLODUMARE IWO LAWA RUBO FUN O,TEWO GBEBO WA,BABA WA TEWO,sings till fade,then the white man changed it to money offerings for them instead of ebo advised by Ifa.
NegroNtns:

In the Quran, God advises Muhammad (saws) about the "People of the books".  Who are these people?

They are the Jews, the Christians, the Muslims and the Sabeans.

Who are the Sabeans?  They are two groups.  

1) the followers of John the Baptist (Zaccharia or Zakariyya).  They have a scripture which is the Gospel. These people remained in Babylon ( modern day Iraq) and some are still there till today.  

2) the followers of the faith of Abraham - the Hannifas!  They have a manuscript of nature but no name is given for the scrolls.  They were in Yemen and is said that they spread around due to some wars but a few exist today in the Arabian Peninsula.

Heretics from the two kingdoms of Egypt and Babylon had corrupted their religious practice in some age period that they went into idol worshiping.  When Muhammed was preaching Islam he had to fight them in Mecca, Yemen, Abbyssinia and the muslims even fought them in Jerusalem, though this may have been after the death of the Prophet.

When you look at Ifa, its literature and its rituals. . . it parallels in style and form the other books.  The priest garments in Ifa and even Ogboni are exact mirror of the specifications in the chapter of Exodus in the Bible.   I have seen Yoruba artificats depicting sacred arts and in which you can clearly see a touch of Old testament. . . .with rituals, offerings, worship and including the staff of authority held by the priest.  

Now, as far as translation.  Yoruba is a tonal language.  The cosmos has sounds and rythyms.  The Yoruba tongue flow in synch with our cosmic awareness.  Therefore, I cannot translate sounds of a rythymic wave into the flat, toneless, and vowel limited English language in a way that you can grasp the full sacredness of the meaning.  Our forefathers also faced this limitation and explains why in their wisdom they left it unwritten and preferred instead to transfer and teachthe knowledge in its original tonal soundwave and poetry.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ex-ministers Of Defence, Army Chiefs Jittery As COAS Sets Up New Probe Panel / LASG Launches 1,000-hectares Modern Satellite City In Epe (pictures) / Boko Haram Kills 25 Soldiers In Borno Ambush - The Cable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.