Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,927 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? (25945 Views)

Past Adu: Yoruba Christians Have Peculiar Spiritual Challenges – Daily Sun / Adeyinka Grandson's Message To Yoruba Muslims / The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by ollyruffy: 10:36pm On Jan 18, 2012
@Topic,

ANSWER = Tolerance, Maturity, Intelligence, Advancement,
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by sbeezy8: 10:37pm On Jan 18, 2012
everyone in my family has 1 parent muslim 1 parent christian
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 18, 2012
Chyz*:

Inferiority complex go kill you yoruba people.lol

Ara meeriri,  mo ri ori ologbo late  grin and i used to think i've heard it all on NL
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 10:50pm On Jan 18, 2012
see*noevil:

I couldn't get you a direct link on wikipedia as they are down now , however i used google cache to access wikipedia and i found this

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3Qqx8SKEyjoJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyo_Empire+wiki+oyo+empire+fulani+jihad&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ng

skip down to fulani jihad and then come back and tell us if the Oyo Empire (The Pinnacle of Yoruba civilization) wasn't destroyed militarily by the Fulani's.

You weren't taught the difference between destroy/sack and conquer? Or did I use the word destroy? Ok, lets assume that you weren't taught the difference, you could at least have consulted your dictionary.

After Oyo was sacked, why didn't the Fulani remain like they remained after conquering all the Hausa states of Zaria, Kano, Gobir, Katsina, etc?

If I attack your house while you are sleeping and burn it to the ground. You haven't conquered me; you only succeeded in destroying my home. In case the import of the word conquer is lost on you, you are only conquered when you have lost your FREEDOM. Unless of course you want to argue that Oyo started paying tributes to the Caliphate after the destruction of Oyo.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by jmaine: 10:53pm On Jan 18, 2012
See*noevil don give Kat's the much nedded encouragement to stay on the thread  grin . . .
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 11:00pm On Jan 18, 2012
Negro Ntns

Permit me to produce a post on another thread in response to a question from Exotik (who also happens to be on this thread).

To understand why Yoruba will not fight a religious war amongst themselves, permit me to give a short insight into Yoruba philosophy and cosmology. Many cultures believe/believed in the concept that reality has two parts (male and female, good and evil, etc). The ancient Greeks and Romans were believers of this principle as were many other empires. But religions such as Christianity and Islam gradually replaced or amended this belief. There are still many cultures/religions that follow this belief system but their interpretations are different. These interpretations believe that the two can be interdependent, mutually independent, complimentary (Hinduism) or antagonistic (Gnostic Christians, Zoroastrianism).

Zoroastrianism is similar to Yoruba in that both believe in the concept of good and bad but differ in that the Yoruba believe that good and evil exist for the common good of the universe while Zoroastrianism believes that good and bad are in an eternal fight. This is why the Yoruba say "Buburu ati fere ni o nrin po ("Bad and good things work together" amongst many other sayings. On the good side, you have the orishas and on the bad side, you have death, curse, sickness, etc

Behind this belief system, the Yoruba are able to accept, assimilate and modify any religion. This is why there isn’t too much of a difference between a Yoruba Muslim, Yoruba Methodist, Yoruba Catholic, Yoruba Anglican. These similarities breed tolerance. This is also why You have Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims, and Yoruba traditionalists living in harmony in places such as Nigeria, Benin Republic, Cuba, and Brazil.

In an era when most were fighting religious wars such as the European thirty years war, the Ottomans conquest of the Middle East, Dan Fodio’s conquest of the Hausa states, the Yoruba were fighting several wars amongst themselves and with their neighbours such as the Dahomians and Asante but none was a war based on religion or religious differences. So while you may find it difficult to separate religion and culture in many places, the Yoruba have through the ages not only been able to accept and assimilate many religions but have also managed to make Yoruba philosophy and belief system higher than any religion. Hence you have Orisha worshippers who have never set foot in Yoruba land in Brazil, Cuba, and other American countries, Catholitism modified to Santeria in Cuba and Candomble in Brazil.

When they do fight, its never religious. When Afonja attempted to sack Oyo, he used Muslims and traditionalists alike. Solagberu (A muslim) partnered with traditionalists such as Timi of Ede, Toyeje (Aare Kakanfo) to sack Ikoyi. The last Yoruba civil war (Kiriji) had Xtians, Muslims, traditionalists all fighting on the same side against other Xtians, Muslims, and traditionalists.

Sources

Some Aspects of Yoruba Aesthetics – Babatunde Lawal
The Yoruba Concept of Human Personality – Wande Abimbola
Black Critics and Kings: Hermeneutics of Power in Yoruba Society – Andrew Apter
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 11:01pm On Jan 18, 2012
jmaine:

See*noevil don give Kat's the much nedded encouragement to stay on the thread  grin . . .

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Why don't you want me on the thread??
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tpia5: 12:01am On Jan 19, 2012
It seems to me its the yoruba muslims who are networking with igbos in such a manner- maybe via the traditional religion route.

Well, anybody wey wan throw stone for market na im sabi.

Not saying its exclusively muslims though- of course people of all persuasions have been doing all these since time immemorial.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 1:54am On Jan 19, 2012
Please remind me of when Yoruba people were conquered by Fulani folks? Islam existed in Yorubaland long before Afonja betrayed his people. Solagberu, one of Afonja's close aides was the leader of the Yoruba Muslims at Oke Suna. Alleging that Islam was introduced into Yorubaland by Fulani smacks of ignorance. Similarly, it is mischievous to suggest that Yoruba people were conquered by the Fulani. Don't confuse Hausa with Yoruba.

i never said the fulanis introduced islam to the yorubas. i only answered the question why hausa-fulani muslims do not respect yoruba muslims. and it is quite simple, because a yoruba group whether they were muslims, xtians, or shango worshippers were conquered by the hausa-fulani group unless u want to say ilorin is not a yorubaland. and whether u agree with it or not, the fall of old oyo to the hausa-fulani, did help spread islam amongst yoruba groups. kinda like how the british didnt introduce christianity to the edos, but the fall of of benin to the british did help spread christianity amongst edo groups.

Even Ilorin that went under Fulani control was not conquered militarily.

i actually dont care how it was conquered. the bottomline is, it was conquered. and that was how ilorin became one of the bastard seven. and because the people in ilorin were a yoruba-group, the disrespect from the hausa-fulani group, rubbed off other yoruba groups who didnt come under the control of the hausa-fulani.

it is just like today any white person can call u a nigger as derogatory term even though we were never called niggers by the whites who conquered what is today known as nigeria but the fact that we share that same "black" identity with black americans, the term rubbed off on us.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Rhino5dm: 2:21am On Jan 19, 2012
I know my simple reply will fly the head of this hybrid goat. You think bullying yoruba muslims is a way of sowing seed of discord?, over the years, i listen to you lots asking that reetarded question in a flagrant way to humiliate the average yoruba muslims and race.

chant your morronic question loud as a libation, when you are about using your mother for money rituals. Nkita ara.

Olodostein:

You make sense and good analogy. So the thing is, All Africans should go back to their forefather's religion.

That is not what asked fool. Do you always derive pleasure in displaying your foolishness?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by sbeezy8: 2:22am On Jan 19, 2012
exotik:

i never said the fulanis introduced islam to the yorubas. i only answered the question why hausa-fulani muslims do not respect yoruba muslims. and it is quite simple, because a yoruba group whether they were muslims, xtians, or shango worshippers were conquered by the hausa-fulani group unless u want to say ilorin is not a yorubaland. and whether u agree with it or not, the fall of old oyo to the hausa-fulani, did help spread islam amongst yoruba groups. kinda like how the british didnt introduce christianity to the edos, but the fall of of benin to the british did help spread christianity amongst edo groups.

i actually dont care how it was conquered. the bottomline is, it was conquered. and that was how ilorin became one of the bastard seven. and because the people in ilorin were a yoruba-group, the disrespect from the hausa-fulani group, rubbed off other yoruba groups who didnt come under the control of the hausa-fulani.

urhhhhh
Majority of People in Ilorin were not a yoruba group and never were. they were actually Bariba and Nupe muslim prior to Yorubas reaching Ilorin and then Fulanis. so Ilorin being Muslim because of "conquest" makes no sense, Igbomina aswell, Majority back then were NOT yoruba- but today they have assimilated into being yoruba with Language/culture Mainly Language.

Some Kwara people will tell you they are not yoruba- cause they technically aren't - Thats like calling Eguns in Lagos, yoruba- cause many dont speak Egun but only yoruba- they still arent yoruba.
I have Ilorin family that are NOT yoruba but technically Nupe/Bariba and call themselves yoruba because of assimilating.

Whether ilorin is Yorubaland or not varies from opinion to opinion.

[size=14pt]CALL IT YORUBA INFLUENCE[/size]

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 2:55am On Jan 19, 2012
i actually wanted to leave u alone to your belief system and not quote it but since u decided to post it again, lets see wot is so special

Zoroastrianism is similar to Yoruba in that both believe in the concept of good and bad but differ in that the Yoruba believe that good and evil exist for the common good of the universe while Zoroastrianism believes that good and bad are in an eternal fight. This is why the Yoruba say "Buburu ati fere ni o nrin po ("Bad and good things work together" amongst many other sayings. On the good side, you have the orishas and on the bad side, you have death, curse, sickness, etc

i dont know anything about zoroastrianism abi na rastafarianism but the concept of ying-yang, darkness and light, good and evil complementing each other is nothing new. and the so-called yoruba saying sounds like a plagiarized version of romans 8:28 -- all things work together for the good

Behind this belief system, the Yoruba are able to accept, assimilate and modify any religion. This is why there isn’t too much of a difference between a Yoruba Muslim, Yoruba Methodist, Yoruba Catholic, Yoruba Anglican. These similarities breed tolerance. This is also why You have Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims, and Yoruba traditionalists living in harmony in places such as Nigeria, Benin Republic, Cuba, and Brazil.

and not to burst your bubble, but all religions are modified by indigenous people to suit their customs and language. even the british had to break away from rome to go form the church of england. and dat is why we all modified our indigenous name for god to suit the christian god for example olu,chukwu,oghene,osa,etc and praise and pray to the xtain god in their native tongue and not in latin. and also why so-called nigerian christians can comfortably marry three wives under same roof and attend same church every sunday with the entire family and see nothing wrong with it. and i really dont see how yoruba methodist would be diff from catholic and anglican anyways, they are all christians at the end of the day. as for yorubas xtains living in harmony with yoruba muslims and traditionalist, clearly they are not the only group doing that in nigeria. so wots the big deal?

Dan Fodio’s conquest of the Hausa states,

if the hausa-fulani conquest of old oyo was not religious because the yorubas had muslims fighting on their side, then how was it religious in the hausa in the states? the hausas were already muslims for centuries before dan fodio's conquest but u term that religious and the yoruba conquest cultural. it doesnt make sense.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 2:59am On Jan 19, 2012
Katz, your use of the post to share is welcome. . . it is open for all to contribute and by the way thank you for that well versed analysis.

Hey Exotic,

let me give you history since you are taking us that far back into the Jihad war.  This is politics section, this history is best told in culture but I think you deserve to be schooled in it this once here.  Every Sultan of the Sokoto Caliphate since Uthman dan Fodio himself spoke Yoruba.  It's a custom in the Fodio dynasty.  Their founder, Usumani bii Foduye (popularly known and called Uthman dan Fodio) was born in Gobir of a Yoruba mother.  Gobir was the frontier between Old Oyo and Old Hausa states.  Yoruba called the people Gogobiri.  The Caliphate has no reason to speak Yoruba, but we know how much they revere their founder and it's believed that the retention of the Yoruba tongue was in reverence to his parentage of both Fulani and Yoruba.  Uthman's son and successor, Muhammad Bello, who also spoke Yoruba, was one of the earliest recorders of Yoruba roots and migration tracks.  In one of his books, he complained bitterly of how the Oyo kings were taking his people as slaves.

Everytime you reference the battle and defeat of Ilorin, you need to be aware that Fulani had also suffered politically in the hands of Yoruba kings that sold them off as slaves.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 3:04am On Jan 19, 2012
if the hausa-fulani conquest of old oyo was not religious because the yorubas had muslims fighting on their side, then how was it religious in the hausa in the states? the hausas were already muslims for centuries before dan fodio's conquest but u term that religious and the yoruba conquest cultural. it doesnt make sense.

Wrong. The Hausas were converted into Islam by the Fulani jihad. The only people in North that practiced Islam before Fodio were the Kanemis - Gambari and Kanuri.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by sbeezy8: 3:07am On Jan 19, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Wrong.  The Hausas were converted into Islam by the Fulani jihad.  The only people in North that practiced Islam before Fodio were the Kanemis - Gambari and Kanuri.

Baribas and nupes also the last real nupe emir was muslim.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 3:08am On Jan 19, 2012
sbeezy8:

urhhhhh
Majority of People in Ilorin were not a yoruba group and never were. they were actually Bariba and Nupe muslim prior to Yorubas reaching Ilorin and then Fulanis. so Ilorin being Muslim because of "conquest" makes no sense, Igbomina aswell, Majority back then were NOT yoruba- but today they have assimilated into being yoruba with Language/culture Mainly Language.

Some Kwara people will tell you they are not yoruba- cause they technically aren't - Thats like calling Eguns in Lagos, yoruba- cause many dont speak Egun but only yoruba- they still arent yoruba.
I have Ilorin family that are NOT yoruba but technically Nupe/Bariba and call themselves yoruba because of assimilating.

Whether ilorin is Yorubaland or not varies from opinion to opinion.

[size=14pt]CALL IT YORUBA INFLUENCE[/size]

now that it came to conquest, they are no longer yorubas but assimilated yorubas? grin dat was funny. so who are the "real" yorubas that are not assimilated yorubas when the yoruba construct itself is a contemporary identity?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 3:26am On Jan 19, 2012
exotik:

Lets agree for a second that Fulani conquered Ilorin. That conquest of Ilorin should not lead to it being termed the Fulani conquest of Yorubaland. If we are to follow that line of thought; then you would say Germany conquered Britain just because Germany occupied Jersey during the second world war. The conquest of a small part of a nation does not necessarily mean the whole was conquered.

Let me provide some context about Ilorin.
Ilorin was an outpost of the Oyo empire. When Afonja arrived at Ilorin, it was comprised of many ethnic groups - the Nupes, hausas (Gobirawa, jamas), and Yorubas. But culturally, it was a Yoruba town because everyone spoke Yoruba. Afonja's Army was a mixture of all E.Gs. After falling out with the Alaafin, Afonja invited Alimi to Ilorin so as to fortify himself with charms. Now Afonja was a very ruthless fellow and his rule caused much dissafection amongst the people who prevailed on Alimi not to leave. Alimi had three wives (one Yoruba and two fulani) who had four sons Abdulsalami was the first son born off his Yoruba wife and was accepted as Emir because the people wouldn't accept a full Fulani as Emir.

Fall of Oyo
By the 1830s, the Alaafin was now only Alaafin by name. There were several powerful kings/chiefs who were no longer the influence of Oyo and who were all suspicious of the others. Some of there were Adegun (Onikoyi), Atiba (who would be Alaafin after fall of Oyo Ile), Lanloke (Ogodo). Alaafin Amodo in wanting to increase his power sought an alliance with Lanloke by giving his daughter to Lanloke. Unfortunately, Lanloke killed the Alaafin's daughter and fearing that he would be attacked decided to attack Oyo ile first. He successfully laid seige to oyo ile and then formed an alliance with Ilorin and the other powerful chiefs/kings to allow the Ilorin troops through to sack Oyo ile. The Army that actually sacked Oyo was not even Fulani; it was Afonja's old army of Yoruba soldiers and hausa slaves/refugees.

The fall of Oyo ile did not help spread Islam in Yorubaland. Islam was already in Yorubaland. Perhaps you can provide a link or a book that supports that conjecture.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 3:42am On Jan 19, 2012
so who are the "real" yorubas that are not assimilated yorubas when the yoruba construct itself is a contemporary identity?

We are a commonwealth, thats what he was telling you. You have the Ijebus, Aworis, Eguns, Ijeshas, Egbas, Itsekiris, Oyos, and so on. . . each has its own dialect but they all converge into a root tongue and that root is the umbrella called Yoruba.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 3:46am On Jan 19, 2012
Hey Exotic,

let me give you history since you are taking us that far back into the Jihad war.  

good. i always like your version of history because it is full of fairy tales and that are quite comical. grin

Every Sultan of the Sokoto Caliphate since Uthman dan Fodio himself spoke Yoruba.  It's a custom in the Fodio dynasty.  

is there any history from the caliphate to confirm this? because i know u like theorizing a lot about shyte that never happened.

Their founder, Usumani bii Foduye (popularly known and called Uthman dan Fodio) was born in Gobir of a Yoruba mother.  

and what does that change? shango who became a yoruba god was born of of nupe woman. i actually like shango though, and i see him no different from the likes of arab mohammed. they were both killers/warriors who became revered as deities grin. and dont come and tell muslims dont worship mohammed but allah, when na mohammed dey tell dem wetin to do.

Everytime you reference the battle and defeat of Ilorin, you need to be aware that Fulani had also suffered politically in the hands of Yoruba kings that sold them off as slaves.  

well, i never doubted that. the mere fact that oyo once enjoyed empire status proves that without reasonable doubt.

Wrong.  The Hausas were converted into Islam by the Fulani jihad.  The only people in North that practiced Islam before Fodio were the Kanemis - Gambari and Kanuri.

when did queen amina of zaria reign? and when did the fulani jihad take place? queen amina from the name alone already says they were muslims. or wasn’t queen amina the queen/or wife of king of an hausa state?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 3:48am On Jan 19, 2012
exotik:

i dont know anything about zoroastrianism abi na rastafarianism but the concept of ying-yang, darkness and light, good and evil complementing each other is nothing new. and the so-called yoruba saying sounds like a plagiarized version of romans 8:28 -- all things work together for the good

That is a very ignorant comment. When was the book of Romans written? Were there no religions/philosophy before the coming of Christ? Secondly, there can only be one True God. Is it not possible that early societies all had similar beliefs. I also CLEARLY explained the differences in interpretations amongst different groups but you naively reduced it to 'plagiarism'.

exotik:

and not to burst your bubble, but all religions are modified by indigenous people to suit their customs and language. even the british had to break away from rome to go form the church of england. and dat is why we all modified our indigenous name for god to suit the christian god for example olu,chukwu,oghene,osa,etc and praise and pray to the xtain god in their native tongue and not in latin. and also why so-called nigerian christians can comfortably marry three wives under same roof and attend same church every sunday with the entire family and see nothing wrong with it. and i really dont see how yoruba methodist would be diff from catholic and anglican anyways, they are all christians at the end of the day. as for yorubas xtains living in harmony with yoruba muslims and traditionalist, clearly they are not the only group doing that in nigeria. so wots the big deal?

England did not break away from Rome for cultural or religious reasons. That was political. Anyone that has attended a Church of England mass will tell you that it is almost identical to the Catholic mass. Having a localised name for God is not the same as modifying religion. Can you name any ethnic group in the world that practices 4 or 5 different religions in multiple countries but is not involved in any religious conflict? Any apart from the Yoruba?

exotik:

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the sacking of Oyo was as a result of the sige laid on it by another Yoruba king. Or was Lanloke also a Muslim?

Islam had been introduced into Hausa states mainly by Fulani scholars from the 15th century. Hausa elites, however, did not follow the tenets of Islam. The lived idolatrous lifestyles. They worshipped all kinds of animals and didn't treat their subjects fairly. Dan Fodio seized on this by silently preaching about the benefits of Islam to the people. The strength of his strategy was that the citizens would not protect their kings when the wars began and that is exactly what happened. The Fulani conquest of Hausa states were religious. No learned person would argue against this.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 4:19am On Jan 19, 2012
good. i always like your version of history because it is full of fairy tales and that are quite comical

Oh yes, of course, when Negro tells these tales people laugh. When the discussions lead to details and the history unfolds itself and the truth of it is revealed. . . . then everyone reflects! That is the aim of a teacher, to cause reflection in the soul of the student! Im glad you learn from me.

is there any history from the caliphate to confirm this? because i know u like theorizing a lot about shyte that never happened.

Yes, there is history from the Caliphate. You contact them and let us know what you get back.

On Queen Amina. . . you fool, who taught you Nigerian history? Amina ruled in the times when Huasaland was worshipping idols and before Islam. Queen Bilkisu was not a muslim, yet that is an Islamic name. Names existed that were of AfroAsian descent but the people were not necessarily Muslims, even though it became Arabicised into Islam.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 4:26am On Jan 19, 2012
That is a very ignorant comment. When was the book of Romans written? Were there no religions/philosophy before the coming of Christ? Secondly, there can only be one True God. Is it not possible that early societies all had similar beliefs. I also CLEARLY explained the differences in interpretations amongst different groups but you naively reduced it to 'plagiarism'.

i had reduce it to plagiarism because the yoruba saying is not recorded anywhere in history. so it could as well be a modern construct, who knows?

England did not break away from Rome for cultural or religious reasons. That was political. Anyone that has attended a Church of England mass will tell you that it is almost identical to the Catholic mass. Having a localised name for God is not the same as modifying religion?

of course the break away was political. the king wanted to get laid with some new pvssy, the pope wont grant him a divorce from his old hag, so he said fvck the pope, im starting my own church and dragged his people with him. but the bottom-line is a break away is bound to happen be it cultural or political. and how are christian dominions different from each other? they all go through the same routine:

-pray to jesus
-sing songs
-take communion
-and most importantly, take offering and tithes.

the only major diff i see is the time duration. catholics and most modern churches perform the service sharply so dat they can organize serveral services a day to collect more money.

Can you name any ethnic group in the world that practices 4 or 5 different religions in multiple countries but is not involved in any religious conflict? Any apart from the Yoruba

so yoruba is the only ethnic group to do this? now u are displaying your naivety. let me use example that i know, the edo people have muslims amongst them and they also have traditionalists. have u heard of edo people fighting each other due to religious differences? another example that easily comes to mind, african-americans. they have all sorts of belief systems within their group, have u heard them fighting each other due to religious differences?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the sacking of Oyo was as a result of the sige laid on it by another Yoruba king. Or was Lanloke also a Muslim?

Islam had been introduced into Hausa states mainly by Fulani scholars from the 15th century. Hausa elites, however, did not follow the tenets of Islam. The lived idolatrous lifestyles. They worshipped all kinds of animals and didn't treat their subjects fairly. Dan Fodio seized on this by silently preaching about the benefits of Islam to the people. The strength of his strategy was that the citizens would not protect their kings when the wars began and that is exactly what happened. The Fulani conquest of Hausa states were religious. No learned person would argue against this.

so how can it be religious and not cultural even though the hausas also had muslims and traditionalist fighting on the same side? btw if it was the fulanis who introduced islam to the hausa, then who introduced it to the yorubas? was there another group apart from this same hausa-fulani?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 4:41am On Jan 19, 2012
so yoruba is the only ethnic group do this?. now u are displaying your naivety. let me use example that i know, the edo people have muslims amongst them and traditionalists. have u heard of edo people fighting each other due to religious differences? another example that easily comes to mind, african-americans. they have all sorts of belief system with their group, have u heard them fighting each other due to religious differences?

. . . extensions of the same Yoruba consciousness. Edo through Ife, African-American through Yoruba slaves.

so how can it be religious and not cultural even though the hausas also had muslims and traditionalist fighting on the same side? btw if it was the fulanis who introduced islam to the hausa, then who introduced it to the yorubas? was there another group apart from this same hausa-fulani?

West Africa has its own school of Islamic thought and it was based in Massena, now called Mali. Yorubas were present in Mali and our Islam first came through that path before the Fodio influence. By the time Fodio began there were already Yoruba scholars in Islam. Apart from that, there was a lingua franca in the West African belt that consisted of Ajami script. In fact Timi of Ede, a non-muslim was reported to have recorded his court transactions and order of duties in Ajami.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 4:46am On Jan 19, 2012
On Queen Amina. . . you fool, who taught you Nigerian history?  Amina ruled in the times when Huasaland was worshipping idols and before Islam.  Queen Bilkisu was not a muslim, yet that is an Islamic name.  Names existed that were of AfroAsian descent but the people were not necessarily Muslims, even though it became Arabicised into Islam.

lol, i can always count on u to be a dumbass. so a queen will adopt a muslim name without being muslim? and of course dummy, they were still predominately idol worshippers coz at that time although they had muslims amongst them, it was after the jihad that they became islamized because that was the religion dan fodio used a tool to organize the jihad. and is it any diff from what is happening today with boko haram? imagine boko haram having their way with their jihad, wont nigeria both north and south be islamized if they are to succeed? ozuo.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 4:50am On Jan 19, 2012
If you look at some of ancient Ife arts you will see this priest cloaked in Judaic priestly flocks with the breastplates and other garments.  It is also on record that the white man arrived into a Yorubaland that was already practicing Christianity handed down through generations of fore fathers that escaped persecutions in AfroAsia.  They were unfamiliar with our rituals and did not know we had knowledge of who Jesus was.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 5:06am On Jan 19, 2012
so a queen will adopt a muslim name without being muslim

Your brain is wired in one direction. . . it lacks capability for complex understanding so let me see what will be a good way to teach you. . . .hmm, here we go!

Bilkisu is a muslim name. Was Queen Bilkisu of Yemen a Muslim? There were indigenous names that back then had no affiliation with Islam. . .they were just customary names of the people due to their roots in the AfroAsia continent. Here are some in Yoruba - Agiri, Bakare, Dawuda, Mero, and so on. Hausa had theirs as well and Amina would have been one of that. This concept of naming would be difficult for you to rationalize because you do not have the ancestral historical background from which to draw the understanding.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 5:08am On Jan 19, 2012
exotik:

i had reduce it to plagarism because the yoruba saying is not recorded anywhere in history. so it could as well be a modern construct, who knows?

Does that even make sense to you? Every group is entitled to its wisdom, system of beliefs, etc. I didn't even suggest that the Yorubas were the only group with such beliefs. I started by identifying other groups that share similar beliefs and identified the differences between them. You are arguing just for the sake of it.

exotik:

so yoruba is the only ethnic group do this?.now u are displaying your naivety. let me use example that i know, the edo people have muslims amongst them and they also have traditionalists. have u heard of edo people fighting each other due to religious differences? another example that easily comes to mind, african-americans. they have all sorts of belief systems within their group, have u heard them fighting each other due to religious differences?

Did you read my post in it's entirety? I stated and I quote "Can you name any ethnic group in the world that practices 4 or 5 different religions in multiple countries but is not involved in any religious conflict? Any apart from the Yoruba?"

Did you miss the phrase 4 or 5 different religions in multiple countries? African-Americans are not an ethnic group. In any case, they are only found in the US. Same with the edos who are mainly found in Nigeria. Before you reply with there are edo people in Europe, I am referring to multiple generations living in a place. Besides, a majority of Edo people are christians. It is difficult to find a clear majority amongst the various religions practiced by Yoruba people. In Nigeria, it is between Christians and Muslims but globally, it is difficult to ascertain because of the high number of traditionalists in Brazil, Cuba, Haiti, and other Caribbean/Latin countries.

In case you missed the point - the Yoruba are in this unique position because of their belief system otherwise they would have been followers of one religion just as the Igbos, Europeans, Americans, Efik-Ibibio are Christian, the Hausa-Fulani and Arabs are Muslims. To buttress my point let me use the example of India. How many religions are in india? There are three major religions. Are they co-habiting peacefully? Was it not religious violence that led to India been broken into India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh?

exotik:

It was religious because the leader of the conquest called it a JIHAD and reason given before and after the Fulani conquest was Islam. Was it only fulanis who could introduce Islam? Anyway, through trade and commerce travellers introduced Islam to Yorubaland. Even though there were no Muslims in Oyo, it built its first mosque in 1550 to cater for foreign travellers. (this is tolerance and cultural sophistication). Well, not one group of people introduced Islam to Yorubaland. After the fall of Oyo ile, many Muslims leaving in Oyo moved to other towns and thats how it spread to other places (and not for the reason you were suggesting earlier). These Muslims came from far and wide.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 6:07am On Jan 19, 2012
Does that even make sense to you? Every group is entitled to its wisdom, system of beliefs, etc. I didn't even suggest that the Yorubas were the only group with such beliefs. I started by identifying other groups that share similar beliefs and identified the differences between them. You are arguing just for the sake of it.

and i never said the yorubas were the only group with the concept. i just stated that the yoruba own sounded plagiarized, like what was written in romans, thats all. the concept is common amongst africans. the edo say "ama mien ason ai mien owie" meaning "without nightfall there will be no sunrise/morning" which can also be translated to "without darkness there will be no light" so the two elements complement and balance each other. and africans generally believe everything happens for a reason whether good or bad, and that is why we easily adopt foreign religions in the first place.

Did you read my post in it's entirety? I stated and I quote "Can you name any ethnic group in the world that practices 4 or 5 different religions
in multiple countries but is not involved in any religious conflict? Any apart from the Yoruba?"

Did you miss the phrase 4 or 5 different religions in multiple countries? African-Americans are not an ethnic group. In any case, they are only found in the US. Same with the edos who are mainly found in Nigeria. Before you reply with there are edo people in Europe, I am referring to multiple generations living in a place. Besides, a majority of Edo people are christians. It is difficult to find a clear majority amongst the various religions practiced by Yoruba people. In Nigeria, it is between Christians and Muslims but globally, it is difficult to ascertain because of the high number of traditionalists in Brazil, Cuba, Haiti, and other Caribbean/Latin countries.

so what countries are yorubas in apart from african countries that were recently demarcated by europeans? the so-called yorubas in the diaspora were taken there as slaves and they are not entirely yorubas so to label them as yoruba is dishonest. anyways, slaves didnt have any reason to fight amongst themselves due to religious differences when they had a common enemy to unit and fight against . . . . the slavemaster. so i dont see how that is a point. and yes, african-americans are classified as an ethnic group. and apart from the us govt, they classify themselves as an ethnic group. unless na u wan define their identity for them.

In case you missed the point - the Yoruba are in this unique position because of their belief system otherwise they would have been followers of one religion just as the Igbos, Europeans, Americans, Efik-Ibibio are Christian, the Hausa-Fulani and Arabs are Muslims. To buttress my point let me use the example of India. How many religions are in india? There are three major religions. Are they co-habiting peacefully? Was it not religious violence that led to India been broken into India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh?

the problem is that u are limiting religion to only christianity and islam. well, that is not the case. a lot of groups in nigeria still worship their indigenous gods even though they have christians and muslims amongst them, and they all co-exist peacefully. and the fact that yorubas have a higher amount of muslims does not score points because it only takes a few amount of people to use religion to stir trouble. and btw, americans dont have one religion, they have all sorts of shyte they believe in. and they even modified christianity to suit themselves and they have the mormons. the current republican front runner mitt romney who would likely run against obama is a mormon. and as for the indians, i dont think they are all one ethnic group, but u can always correct me if i am wrong.

It was religious because the leader of the conquest called it a JIHAD and reason given before and after the Fulani conquest was Islam. Was it only fulanis who could introduce Islam? Anyway, through trade and commerce travellers introduced Islam to Yorubaland. Even though there were no Muslims in Oyo, it built its first mosque in 1550 to cater for foreign travellers. (this is tolerance and cultural sophistication). Well, not one group of people introduced Islam to Yorubaland. After the fall of Oyo ile, many Muslims leaving in Oyo moved to other towns and thats how it spread to other places (and not for the reason you were suggesting earlier). These Muslims came from far and wide.

ok.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 6:25am On Jan 19, 2012
the problem is that u are limiting religion to only christianity and islam. well, that is not the case. a lot of groups in nigeria still worship their indigenous gods even though they have christians and muslims amongst them. the fact that yorubas have a higher amount of muslims does not score points because it only takes a few amount of people to use religion to stir trouble.

Exclude your people from this and exclude Hausa, since the two of you do not fall in that category of tolerant practitioners of the faiths. Beside the Yoruba, which other group exist that practice Islam, Christianity and indigenous faith and the diversity has not caused a division on their land?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 6:48am On Jan 19, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Exclude your people from this and exclude Hausa, since the two of you do not fall in that category of tolerant practitioners of the faiths.  Beside the Yoruba, which other group exist that practice Islam, Christianity and indigenous faith and the diversity has not caused a division on their land?

so are u saying apart from igbo xtains, there are no igbo muslims and traditionalists? or there or no muslims and traditionalist in other groups? like ijaw?  and from what i seem to be getting from this conservation is that u guys genuinely believe islam is a problem, and because the yoruba muslims have not had any religious conflicts with other yoruba religious practitioners’, u are patting yourselves on the back as if it is something unique in nigeria. and tagged it "sophistication". btw, why do yorubas always use that word a lot? because i have come to notice anytime una wan give unaselves blowjobs to seem special that is always the choice word. grin is there no other word? abi sophistication nor get synonym again? haha.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 6:49am On Jan 19, 2012
Alhaji Abu Bakar Hamid

What is now the heartland of the Eastend stretching off from main Kissy Road overlooking the Queen Elizabeth II quay and dreaded for its nerve racking - jostling traffic of vehicles, motor bikes and people was in the early 1700s a lush green hilly slope on which densely populated pastoral Foulah traders grazed their cows – hence the name Fullah Tong. They did not occupy the land for long.

The Foulah Tong Mosque

What is now the heartland of the Eastend stretching off from main Kissy Road overlooking the Queen Elizabeth II quay and dreaded for its nerve racking - jostling traffic of vehicles, motor bikes and people was in the early 1700s a lush green hilly slope on which densely populated pastoral Foulah traders grazed their cows – hence the name Fullah Tong.
They did not occupy the land for long.
“Freed slaves, recaptives and business people mostly Yoruba’s from Lagos and Abeokuta in Nigeria came into Sierra Leone during the 1700s and from the mouth of the Quay – since the most popular form of transport those days was by sea – they moved into Foulah tong and later spread into Fourah bay and Aberdeen,” Alhaji Abu Bakarr Hamid a revered son of the early Yoruba settlers who has spent the whole of his 58 years in the Foulah tong community recalled.
As the new group of settlers started building houses and cutting down the trees to expand the community, the Foulahs gradually left because the land was no longer suitable for rearing cows.
“They went further east to Kissy which was then still bushy” said Alhaji Hamid.
The Yorubas had founded a home, and Foulah tong became aYoruba hegemony with the culture and everything -Yoruba except the name.
These early Yoruba settlers were mainly Muslims probably that is why the Foulah Tong mosque became the epicenter of the community.
There are very many streets like tree branches shooting out from the main street (Mountain cut) named - First Street, Second Street, Third Street… and it seemed when they were tired of counting they gave typical Yoruba names to the streets, like Haderudeen Street.
Foulah tong in Freetown still bears the relics of colonialism captured in the architecture of the houses.
These houses are either board or stone houses with an upper room attached with a window which is known in local circles as “Kongosa Window” where most times the oldest member of the family who occupies such houses would position themselves to scrutinize every activity that goes on in the community, - and now and then deliver the greeting “e Karroh” (Yoruba word for ‘how are you’) to passers by, mostly when they want to be recognized.
Sadly though, many of these houses were lost, thanks to the January 6 invasion by rebels in Freetown, who burnt them, causing the landscape to now be increasingly dotted with modern architecture.
The Foulah Tong Mosque
The mosque stands stoutly on top of the hill on Mountain cut and Second Street. There had been claims that the mosque was a converted church, but Alhaji Hamid dispelled this.
He disclosed that the mosque was actually built in 1882, further up the mountain and not where it is presently located.
In those days Alhaji Hamid recalled there were serious persecutions in the community by Christians who considered non Christians as pagans.
“So there was a palaver and the Mosque was burnt down by these Christians.”
Another mosque was built opposite the mosque now but was again demolished after some years because it was not big enough.
Finally they built the massive structure which is what is now the Foulah Tong mosque and maintained the 1882 date as its establishment.” Alhaji Hamid narrated.
Amariah Primary School he said was also built in 1887 by Dr Blyden who saw the need for education and that the land was donated for the project by twins - Alhassan and Alusine.
The mosque and the school he said to a large extent came to mold the life, civilization and education of the Yoruba people in the Foulah Tong community.
The Former President of Sierra Leone, Tejan Kabbah was confirmed to have attended the Amariah Primary School, though he was not a Yoruba, others were the late Dr Sanusi Mustapha, Late Justice Nasiru Alghalie, Late Justice Bankole Rashid and Dr Aroun Daniya.
Alhaji said that the school was refurbished in 1997 by Plan International and that the whole community still uses the school’s playground to observe the feast of Eid-ul-ada.
A fading culture
“I think that the failure of the government to recognize Yoruba as one of the national languages was one of the pivotal agents that is killing the Yoruba people and language in this country,” Alhaji argued.
He disclosed that he could not speak the language as fluently as he wished to and it is getting worse with their own children.
“We found out now that we have to claim Creole and speak krio to properly identify ourselves in Sierra Leone other than that we are Yoruba and Nigerians (foreigners).
On the other hand it is actually interesting and peculiar for us Muslim Yorubas to claim ourselves as creoles with Muslim names like Mohamed Cole, Mucktaru Pearce, Osman Thomas, Saptieu King.
The Christian Creoles always think that they are the pure and original Creole people, but actually we are all brothers and sisters and came from the same origin with the same culture.” Alhaji Hamid explained.
He continued that the expanding natures of communities in cities, Freetown not excluded has unknotted the threads that held them as a cultural society.
Alhaji Hamid said that Foulah Tong had become cosmopolitan, in fact a home to many tribes than Yoruba, and that most of their properties have been sold out to other people so with the mix they cannot operate as a different entity with different cultural values but to move on and imbibe the various life styles and culture of other people.
With nostalgia Alhaji revealed that they were the tribe that started “Ashobie” which has been used now by everybody else for weddings and other celebrations.
He pointed out that they have very rich cultural celebrations for naming ceremony -‘Khomojade’, wedding and the observance of the three-day, seven-day and forty-day after burial.
“The unbraided ‘kaftan’ had been our cultural dress and bread and ‘fourah’ the delicacies served in all of our celebrations. The Ojeh and Hunting society was also introduced by the yorubas”
But all of theses are changing now Alhaji sighed, “The western culture is also affecting us, many of our children are overseas and they cannot keep these cultures. We hope that our heritage does not die out completely.
What they still have is the ‘Adikali’, the head of the court and the head of the community all in one.
The present Adikalie is Dr Fadlu Deen and his function is to settle all disputes brought to him ranging from land dispute, family palaver to marital problems but he seldom uses the ‘Tambaleh’ (traditional drum) only to announce the death of a very important personality or the day for pray-days.
However amidst all the changes of landscape, people, and culture Foulah Tong continues to sit on the hills stoically accepting the transformations as they come and waiting for the day its own name will be changed.

mukina2 (f)

Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Seirra Leone
« #18 on: October 21, 2009, 05:08 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Aloy~Emeka on October 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
@Knowall,

Is this a yoruba tribe found in Sierra Leone or Muslim Yoruba tribe?. Are you suggesting that only muslim yorubas emigrated to Sierra leone?. Islam is a religious identity and I don't know why you are attaching it to that tribe by all means because i am sure not all of them are muslims and the islam they accepted after moving to Sierra leone. So, they are not muslim yorubas, rather, they are Yorubas.

know you addressed this to knowall.

anyway
Foulah town is a predominately muslim town, there are Creole Christians living there too and yeah they live side by side, inter marry and inter everything with no  troubles.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 7:10am On Jan 19, 2012
Exotic,

Look on top article do you see how far back Yorubas have practiced Islam. . . like Katz told you, way long before Fulani brought it to Hausa. Mukina2 was born and brought up in that community, she gave a first hand account of what you already been told by her brothers here. . . .the Yoruba blood is first a Yoruba before we are anything else, christianity, islam, ifa. . .makes no difference.

so are u saying apart from igbo xtains, there are no igbo muslims and idol worshippers? or there or no muslims and idol worshippers in other groups?

You love to exercise your brain neurons with irrationales. First, the total number of ibo muslims in your land is very insignificant. Much of your muslims reside in North and converted to Islam as a safeguard to protect their lives and properties in that region. If you have in your land the same ratio of christian/muslim that we have in Yorubaland you would have killed each other off by now. Your custom has no tolerance for the slave born, much more for a moslem! That will be a new caste system! You keep saying other groups but you fail to name these other groups.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

You Can’t Remove Me On Pages Of Newspaper, Oyegun Tells Tinubu / June 12: APP Accuses Buhari Of Plagiarism, Threatens Legal Action / Presidential Panel On Police Reforms Swings Into Action, Okays 5-point Demand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.