Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? (20722 Views)

Top 10 Reasons Why Igbos And Yorubas Should Not Marry / Igbos and Yorubas should stop displaying their Stupidity. / Are Igbos And Yorubas Ready For War? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by eastOFwest(m): 9:47am On Jan 21, 2012
Toaskarity:

And what is the topic for?

The question reach to ask abeg! In real life their are more marriages between Yoruba & Igbo people more than any other tribes in Nigeria. My family alone there are two and I've several times come across Yoruba/Igbo marriages where their parents were Yoruba/Igbo
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by bobsdes(m): 9:49am On Jan 21, 2012
How the hell would i hate anybody,,,,Hausa or Igbo, why the hell!

Issues like Intermarriage,intratrade and cohabiting have neutralized hatred amongst tribes

As a Yoruba/Muslim my best friend is Igbo and my girlfriend is Hausa and i work in a company owe by a deltan

so how the hell,,,,apart from some people are not just real
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Nnenna1(f): 9:57am On Jan 21, 2012
londoner:

The distrust and dislike is sickening actually. I have to say it is very raw and vicious on this site in particular.

I have lost some pride in being Nigerian through what people say here (and probably mean) each and every day. Not one day passes without sweeping negative generalisations made about whole tribes of people. That is a trait which cuts across tribes.

If it did not cut so deep, it would not still be seen every day on this site.

As someone who has not grown up in Nigeria, it is slowly making me want to withdraw from this site. There have been many times when I have read things here from all tribes which made my jaw drop in shock and my stomach turn with disgust.

It just shows just how far away from being a nation Nigeria really is and it is very unlikely we will ever get there when we refuse to lay down our swords, address past grieviances, forgive, and make steps to leave it in the past where it belongs.

To be honest I'm not sure I want to be a member on this site anymore, it does not build me up as a Nigerian, because I first came here to fraternise with Nigerians and those of Nigerian heritage.

I now see that although I have learned many things, it has also been quite damaging to the image I had of Nigerians.

It has made me realise there is something wrong with Nigerians when we come together, we can be toxic.

It  has made me very very ashamed at times.

Like you, I had joined this site to socialize with other Nigerians and be up to speed with politics, culture, entertainment and everything in-between. Nairaland has come a loooong way since when I first registered almost 7 years ago. The latent (but tolerable) level of tribalism existing then has evolved into a internet "mondo" freak show.

This site is an embarrassment to the image of Nigerians and our haters are reveling in it. But what can I say - the tribalists can keep doing what they enjoy to do. As long as you keep scoring brownie points in each debate so that you can sleep better at night, what do you care, right?

To add to what Londoner said - everyone talking about how this is the internet and that all of this is divorced from reality should wake up.  This is part of the media and the media is influential in creating reality from "entertainment." The "question" of Igbos and Yorubas hating each other in real life will be guaranteed as the rabid tribalism exhibited here will spill onto the surface (particularly among the educated class) if care is not taken. You think millions of people cannot access this forum and read as their ethnic groups are attacked by "fellow" Nigerians?

Which brings me to Seun:

It would be nice to issue a statement or address the level of hatred being allowed in this forum. You used to be very involved and almost dictatorial in keeping this site "squeaky clean." What happened? undecided I know this site has expanded and all but there are moderators. Why don't they keep to the standard that made Nairaland what it was? They even seem to give quiet approval by giving tribalistic threads like this front page status.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Diligence: 9:58am On Jan 21, 2012
Of course not, but the bane of the problem borders on TRUST; Awolowo betrayed Ojukwu.  Even supported blocking of all sea, air and land access to medical supplies to food to our dying innocent and harmless women and children.  It was an organised pogrom/genocide against NDIGBO: what a betrayal to those who fed him, clothed him and even lodged him in a first-class hotel under the protection of The Eastern Region.

The only yoruba man an Igboman respects forever is FRANCIS FAJUYI, who wld not stand having a visiting Head of State (Aguiyi Ironsi) executed at his door steps, when he had a state visit to Ibadan, and he decided to lay down his life as he can't stand an accusation of connivance in the death of a head of state.

O boy since then, e go take another life and world to trust a yoruba man for any cause!  Professionally, we can work together, etc, but for TRUST, forget it for life!

We don't hate them, as we NDIGBO can't afford to hate, we invest anywhere and everywhere so why shld u hate?
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by smarttalks: 10:08am On Jan 21, 2012
smiley
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by smarttalks: 10:08am On Jan 21, 2012
smiley
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by ceejayluv(m): 10:10am On Jan 21, 2012
It depends on d person's background. An igbo person that grew up in a remote rustic area in the east and having heard biased tales of how every Yoruba folk is a juju freak will be apprehensive whenever he/she sees a yoruba person. Same with a yoruba person tha spent all his/her life in a rural settings sans any form of contact with outsiders will probably grow with the notion that all igbos are cannibals and blood-money freaks. What values and beliefs do you expect the two people mentioned above to pass to their children, even if they are to relocate to Lekki or Abuja?
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by bilaya(m): 10:15am On Jan 21, 2012
They only hate each other on nairaland but outside,I don't think it's that bad
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by logica(m): 10:19am On Jan 21, 2012
Anybody who bases the relationship of Yorubas and Igbos on Nairaland posts are completely lost. While these bunch are busy making noise, Yorubas and Igbos are collaborating in every sphere of human endeavor (even corruption/embezzlement). Within the past few months, I have seen so many Yoruba men take Igbo brides (including that female blogger - what's her name again?)

So let the bush people continue doing what they do best while those younger than them (because I know many of these bush people are in their late 40s) are running things.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jan 21, 2012
logica:

Anybody who bases the relationship of Yorubas and Igbos on Nairaland posts are completely lost. Whiles these bunch are busy making noise, Yorubas and Igbos are collaborating in every sphere of human endeavor (even corruption/embezzlement). Within the past few months, I have seen so many Yoruba men take Igbo brides (including that blogger females - what's her name again?)

So let the bush people continue doing what they do best while those younger than them (because I know many of these bush people are in their late 40s) are running things.
dats on point, if dem lyk,make dem kip hating wyl killings r goin on in d north, hate ko,hate ni.wu get tym 4 hate sef?hissss
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by executinal(m): 10:32am On Jan 21, 2012
phreakabit:

Best way to describe them . . . . . .
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by supibaba: 10:46am On Jan 21, 2012
u are notin but a mediocare dat celebrates mediocrity.did d yoruba pple had any agreement with d igbo's to fight war?
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 21, 2012
For me personally, I just do not care about yorubas and their existence is irrelevant to me. I do not hate them because I do not see them as that important to my existence to confer such strong emotion towards them.

Everything about them is inconsequential to me. I cannot date their women, would deliberately not befriend them or approach them for any cooperation, unless situation demands that, don't find their lifestyle or appearances appealing to me and just simply don't deem them viable to anything in my life.

It is not hate and I view them just as I would view distant somalis, irrelevant.

My plane drops at MMA and I'm on the next route to my homeland and have no time to observe them in lagos.

If Nigeria ceases today, I wouldn't say there's anything about them that I would miss.

That is my stance, on and offline.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by IbroSaunks(m): 10:49am On Jan 21, 2012
I lurfv igbo people, that's why I always crack jokes about them in my head anytime I see them do igbo-ish stuff grin grin grin
igbo peeps rock! grin
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Reggie2(m): 10:50am On Jan 21, 2012
The igboman is unstoppable, spreading like cancer all over the place. It takes a loving heart to spear a man who before your very eyes, at your own backyard, flourishes like  flower on a fertile land. Jealousy is the right term against the igbo, which on-line, being faceless, is expressed as hatred. The igboman's resentment for the yoruba is linked to their dubious role during the civil war. Jim Reeves sang that: some wounds never heal while some heal with with ugly memories. Before our very eyes, the Hausa is still doing the real damage of causing havoc in the polity. Yet yoruba and igbo are in a war of blames for the actual damage caused by another tribe, hence the continuation of mutual distrust. Sometimes I wonder if the sympathy for the north by the yoruba is due to shared faith in Islam by a percentage of the population!
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 21, 2012
ceejayluv:

It depends on d person's background. An igbo person that grew up in a remote rustic area in the east and having heard biased tales of how every Yoruba folk is a juju freak will be apprehensive whenever he/she sees a yoruba person. Same with a yoruba person tha spent all his/her life in a rural settings sans any form of contact with outsiders will probably grow with the notion that all igbos are cannibals and blood-money freaks. What values and beliefs do you expect the two people mentioned above to pass to their children, even if they are to relocate to Lekki or Abuja?

+100.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Mojibola(m): 10:52am On Jan 21, 2012
Thoz pple talking biafra, shey na una fight d biafra war??, its like hating white cos of slavery, so archaic!!
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by eastOFwest(m): 10:55am On Jan 21, 2012
Bandit C.:

For me personally, I just do not care about yorubas and their existence is irrelevant to me. I do not hate them because I do not see them as that important to my existence to confer such strong emotion towards them.

Everything about them is inconsequential to me. I cannot date their women, would deliberately not befriend them or approach them for any cooperation, unless situation demands that, don't find their lifestyle or appearances appealing to me and just simply don't deem them viable to anything in my life.

It is not hate and I view them just as I would view distant somalis, irrelevant.

My plane drops at MMA and I'm on the next route to my homeland and have no time to observe them in lagos.

If Nigeria ceases today, I wouldn't say there's anything about them that I would miss.

I don't see how this helps?
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by codeworks(m): 10:55am On Jan 21, 2012
I interacted with Yorubas during my Camp NYSC. Weird People! I like Yorubas but hav special way of interacting with them
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by OneNaira6: 10:59am On Jan 21, 2012
I'll say Yes and No. Yes because this forum allows people to voice their most hidden secret therefore alot of closet tribalist, etc are found here. In their replies you can see the hatred is prominent. No, because well even though this site shows the true nature of some, that same nature is hidden in reality.

For me personally
I careless about Yoruba and that less increased ever since I joined this forum.
I am now aware of their behavior and their hidden attitude thus they are another face in the world to me.
To me, they are another person whom happens to share a country with me and I do not view them with neither hate nor love just indifferent.
Whatever happens happens that how I see it.
Though thanks to this forum I learned to watch my back when around one but apart from that, I'm indifferent when it comes to Yoruba.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by IbroSaunks(m): 11:04am On Jan 21, 2012
correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the igbos hate yoruba peeps much more than yoruba peeps hate igbo! most of the bitter people here seem to be igbo. why
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by eastOFwest(m): 11:04am On Jan 21, 2012
Igbo got the short end of the stick in a very tribalistic & ignorant Nigeria during the civil war and it has been sour grapes since then ( tinged with deep envy of hour Hausas and Yorubas took decisive steps to lock them out of the affairs of Nigeria while the war went on )
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by logica(m): 11:09am On Jan 21, 2012
Bandit C.:

LOL. So what happens to your father's printing press in LAGOS?

For anybody interested, read this bushman's posts on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=809273.msg9616694#msg9616694
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by sovpounds(m): 11:11am On Jan 21, 2012
I love the Yoruba people even 'My Beloved' is a Yoruba.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by OneNaira6: 11:13am On Jan 21, 2012
IbroSaunks:

correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the igbos hate yoruba peeps much more than yoruba peeps hate igbo! most of the bitter people here seem to be igbo. why

hate? I do not see hate rather indifference meaning in a sense having no feelings towards Yoruba.
For the older and middle aged Igbo, it has more to do with the Biafran war.  
For younger Igbo generation, it has more to do with this forum. If you stay in this forum long enough and read replies from the Yoruba long enough you'll understand why.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by uzoexcel(m): 11:25am On Jan 21, 2012
hi peeeeeeeepz, just a short summary of my 4rm me based on ma life , Obviously,4rm ma user name, i m igbo; born & bred in Lagos. Now, my college studies was in Ibadan; a boarding school, i made the best of friends in life in that place, Mostly yorubas… , Moving on then, I went to a university in the east and but i did my industrial training at the headquarters of a bank (from all indications a 'yoruba bank)  Believe you me, that was when I knew this fad called 1 Nigeria was  nonexistent, For instance, a big manager would see me and say 'come here,ur name is uz, ,r u nt igbo, wat are u doing in this bank?', To say i wasnt shocked was an  understatement(i was 18 years then), Later on i was then posted to sokoto state 4 ma NYSC and noticed more of this….…e.g I became frdz my 1st day in camp wid a yoruba guy & if 4 example we were  gistin football or chikz but when his yoruba brothers would come, they would start talkin in their language just 2 leave me stranded coz they knew I was igbo; even ma so-called frd wud join them (though they ddnt knw I could hear & speak Yoruba well)…ditto 4 my own igbo brothers who were also annoyed if (e.g) they were speakin in igbo with maybe a Yoruba person in our midst & I spoke in English as I knew obviously, the Yoruba guy couldn’t understand us & I felt it was bad manners, rude & inappriopriate.

I then ask myself (I m nt a strong xtian & I m ashamed 2 state it) & I wish people would do the same (especially d churchy 1s)…, How do u think on the last day God wud judge all of us.maybe he ll say “yorubas dz line, igbo dis line”…do we think abt dat?

Ma best friend is a Yoruba muslim right 4rm college who served in the east & also came to ma villa in imo state dis year during the burial of ma grandma ……, no one wud knw he wasn’t igbo 4rm d way he helped out in all activities. 4 all of us who feel we r believers, I feel dis r d little thingz that count in d eyez of Christ & nt hw many timez u prayed,fasted,cast out demons e.t.c

Lest we all 4get his 2nd greatest commandment was “LOVE your NEIGHBOR AS………………, ….”

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 21, 2012
To be honest, as a Yoruba guy, i don't even think of ibo people, all i know is i love to nail ibo girls. I don't think twice about that.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by tunnytox(m): 11:27am On Jan 21, 2012
logica:

LOL. So what happens to your father's printing press in LAGOS?

For anybody interested, read this bushman's posts on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=809273.msg9616694#msg9616694

Lol and he lives in Frankfurt of all places! an extremely bigoted nonentity.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by tunnytox(m): 11:30am On Jan 21, 2012
If not for NL I don't even know or ever imagine that some Igbo people hate Yorubas so much, anyway I'm not concerned by the attitudes of few bigoted Igbos/yorubas as for me all human beings are the same i love Igbos just as much as i love my Yoruba people.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 21, 2012
checking the opinions and tribe affiliation of the responders so far, its quite obvious the untermensch are the ones doing the hating.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by igboboy1(m): 11:39am On Jan 21, 2012
HATE KWANU? Nna that is so much energy, How can someone spend so much energy hating another person? (that energy will be better served f.o.cki.ng 2 girls a day), grin
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by ak47mann(m): 11:39am On Jan 21, 2012
look Nigerian is full of tribalism,they breed tribalism everyday,my older bro studying in japan went to extend his visa in Nigerian embassy in japan,he meet an Hausa man when the man saw he was "igbo"immediately started asking him how he afford his school fees and what an igbo boy like him doing in japan.

This is another continent and they still carry their hate on igbos everywere they go,if all this hate was a hear say to me i will wave it as-side thinking that it is not true,but brother/sisters the hate is there,don't be deceived igbos have been humiliated and they try as much possible to pull us down but we are the sons of Elijay they will never succeed.It will rather consume them cool

two of my blood bros have encounter tribalism from the two groups Yoruba and Hausa ask me what my family have done to them i don't no just pure wicked and evil. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Idris Wada Picks Up PDP Nomination Form Today (Photos) / Picking Peter Obi Will Not Make Yorubas Vote Against Atiku – Ajulo / Court Of Appeal Affirms Ifeanyi Ubah As Senator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.