Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? (20720 Views)

Top 10 Reasons Why Igbos And Yorubas Should Not Marry / Igbos and Yorubas should stop displaying their Stupidity. / Are Igbos And Yorubas Ready For War? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by blocker: 5:55am On Jan 22, 2012
Igbos and Yorubas? Well they seem to have the greatest rivalry. The British colonialists described the Hausa/Fulani as similar to the Arabs, the Yorubas as the English men of Africa and the Igbos as the Jews of Africa. That hatred would always be there. No amount of "Intergration" can obscure that. We are too different.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by stayreal: 6:16am On Jan 22, 2012
blocker:

Igbos and Yorubas? Well they seem to have the greatest rivalry. The British colonialists described the Hausa/Fulani as similar to the Arabs, the Yorubas as the English men of Africa and the Igbos as the Jews of Africa. That hatred would always be there. No amount of "Intergration" can obscure that. We are too different.

Why are we together? We need to go our seperate ways. Would the white man create such a country for himself to live in? HELL NO.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by lagcity(m): 7:08am On Jan 22, 2012
It is more like mistrust/rivalry between Yoruba and Igbo. I wouldn't use the word hate. If they truly hate each other, there would be no Naija today, e for don scatter looooong time. Our situation isn't like that of Isrealis and Palestinians.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 22, 2012
alj harem:

see thief  grin grin grin

Izu umu nwanyi yoruba ori adighi mma

umu nwanyi yoruba gi ezigbo umu nwanyi

meta ya m. and maybe I would allow you cool

See alj harem dey write igbo; haha grin

Man no spoil my show ooooo,  Okay, I would pay 10 million naira dowry on her head cheesy.

Anyways;

You are right about the Knee jerk reaction. We need to chill out for a bit, my friends cool.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by lastpage: 8:26am On Jan 22, 2012
I am Yoruba (you are free to rotten it as "Yorobo" grin if you like)!

I dont hate Igbos, neither do l hate Huasaa.

I "detest" individuals who mis-jive or do wrong, whether they are Yorobo or Ndigbo (You can call them 'Ibo'  shocked if you like )or Hausa (You can call them Mallam if you like tongue ), l dont give a hoot! wink

If you hate me just because l am Yoruba, dat na your headache, carry go and dey suffer am! tongue tongue

Wetin concern-in "omo-Eko like me with hatred?

Igbo bring business, l do, l chop small money! grin

Hausa man bring Naama, l buy Suya and put flenty-flenty Pepper and Onions! Na dat one dey make Obalende rock 24/7!

Yoruba sef come nack Pounded Yam full ground, ewo lo'kanmi mbe?
All na Nigerians! tongue
If you dont trust me simply 'cos l am Yoruba, me sef no trust you joor!
I  no even trust myself! shocked shocked
Just do the needful and be diligent in all our dealings.
No big deal naaah?

I hate to say it but there is "something about Yorubas" that makes them the "topic of others" all the time! (similar to the "Swagger" of Nigerians in the West" (despite all the bad things often said) , that make Oyinbo man hate them like mad! grin
I thank God l am a Yorobo man Ooo! grin

@ndi201
Remember its not only igbos, binis and ijebus hold this same opinion (hatred) about the yorubas and also remember that the ijebus ar also yoruba, [b]but they ar not descendant of oduduwa.[/b] U ppl should bring oduduwa toNL supreme court to answer to all this charges leveled against him by historian.

Sharrap there my friend!
So Ijebus are Yorubas but not descendants of Oduduwa? Are they "Jews of Ijebu" as well? grin
Make Awujale and people of Ijebu-Ode catch you for road, you go bring out that persin wey teach you "History" for school! kiss

Lastpage.

BTW: Let the past be in the past, dont take revenge over what you think Awolowo did, on ME! I was not around when he made his decisions, to the best of his ability! Lets be friends!

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Hardunnii(f): 10:15am On Jan 22, 2012
@ezeagu its either u r dumb or stupi.d or both. Did u expect me to reply ur bigotry remarks wit warm applause?? U r a bigot n i will treat u like one
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Hardunnii(f): 10:18am On Jan 22, 2012
@olodostein and tux thanks, am not available.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Ndata(m): 10:33am On Jan 22, 2012
@Lastpage,I feel you.That is what it is suppose to be,we should eshew all these malice and hatred from our lives and deal with people as individuals and not placing a blanket hatred on ethnic group just because of one or two experiences from people from such groups.This reminds me of a Yoruba gentleman who contracted me to network and manage his company computer network back in Naija.I was kind of surprised that despite many who bidded for the contract especially from his Yoruba ethnic group,he gave it to me an Igboman. So i was eager to find out from him why.His response got me to change my perspective from that day onwards.He said"i don't deal with people based on their ethnicity but based on if they are right for the job"he added that even people from his ethinicity have defrauded him more than any other ethnic groups in his life.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by ekitikan(m): 5:35pm On Jan 22, 2012
If you see Oyinbo how you go know who come from wia, (Lagbaja) me and you no be enemy we suppose to be family na wetin you dey find i dey find.struggle for survival to commot for this poverty, so lets leave all this hatred, because if i die you go mudd,my ppl go revenge and den ur ppl go avenge, na so d madness go dey go from generation to generation, which kind madness be dis ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeparipa olodumare help our people in naija, shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by tevinsolt: 11:29pm On Jan 22, 2012
haters have no life, they are murderers, they on things they can't be so continue hating while others are making progress
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Dede1(m): 12:55am On Jan 23, 2012
I do not know if there has been cessation of hatred between the ethnic groups but there is lingering enmity between them since 1967. It was not long ago the two groups squared to annihilate each another on the battle field. As far as I am concerned, the battle field scenario has not changed.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by logica(m): 1:12am On Jan 23, 2012
Ndata:

@Lastpage,I feel you.That is what it is suppose to be,we should eshew all these malice and hatred from our lives and deal with people as individuals and not placing a blanket hatred on ethnic group just because of one or two experiences from people from such groups.This reminds me of a Yoruba gentleman who contracted me to network and manage his company computer network back in Naija.I was kind of surprised that despite many who bidded for the contract especially from his Yoruba ethnic group,he gave it to me an Igboman. So i was eager to find out from him why.His response got me to change my perspective from that day onwards.He said"i don't deal with people based on their ethnicity but based on if they are right for the job"he added that even people from his ethinicity have defrauded him more than any other ethnic groups in his life.
. . .it says a lot that it took someone to tell you this for you to be enlightened.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by ndukwejoe(m): 7:36am On Jan 23, 2012
I think the Yorubas are not comfortable with the igbos.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by lastpage: 9:06am On Jan 23, 2012
Let us all eschew this tribal hatreds!
We can still live apart even as separate nations,  without inculcating and making "hatred", the basis of our separation!

Its an evil wind that blows nobody no-good.

If you consider yourself a Christian/True Muslim/Good person and you believe that " GOD IS LOVE", then let that "love" shine through you so much so that those that hate you will have no other choice than to give glory to the God that you serve and give you respect for who you are!

When you pray, God would never come down from heaven to answer you, He answers you through your fellow man now, imagine if l as a Yoruba man have made up my mind to HATE ALL IGBOS OR HAUSAS, and God in his own wisdom has sent MY OWN ANGEL to me, in the form of an IGBO or HAUSA PERSON!
The implication is that l would keep complaining that my prayers are unanswered while my Angel keeps telling God He is REFUSING ME because of his HATRED!

If you must hate another human being (as against EVERYONE WHO LOOKS AND SPEAKS LIKE HIM) , HATE THAT INDIVIDUAL BASED ON YOUR OWN DIRECT PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THAT PERSON, not on some story (rightly or wrongly) someone else told you!

Then may be, just maybe, your hatred could have a little justification.

We channel too much energy into meaningless things like "HATRED" while neglecting the important things that build and uplift our lives, this our one and only life! shocked shocked

Lastpage!

@Ndata: Your experience is another good example that "only fools" HATE another because of their tribal orientation and nothing else!. Let us continue to preach it and show them that we will not descend to their "lowest level of THE ANIMAL IN MAN".
Cheers.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Hoodrat(m): 1:20pm On Jan 23, 2012
Shame on you all, The enmity you are trying to create among igbo and yoruba will never prevailed. Despite the obvious violation of human rights in Nigeria you all here dividing your own ethnics and creating hatred. Talks about inferiority complex and self appraised with no good to had to society that is already collapsing in silence and your point bring nothing but destruction to our future. Now let me back it up by asking what you trying to archive and what point are you all trying to prove here? Are you encouraging love or preaching hatred to your own brothers?. You all are the many reason why Nigeria will never progress as a nation until God strike you all to dearth and kill you for whom you are because it takes only God to take the hatred and evil out of your wicked heart. You all make me afraid of introducing myself as a Nigeria to my fellow men with the kind of hatred you all passing here Nigeria is Nigeria be you Hauser igbo or Yoruba. Nothing you say makes any sense and you wont be applauded for the nonsense you have spited here if thats what you aiming for. Igbo Yoruba Our swags last long. Ethnics hatred kills faster than disease.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by nigerisgreat: 8:12am On Mar 11, 2012
Please don't quite. We need your calming, some times not what someone from Ghana will agree. We need your voice
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by Afam4eva(m): 11:01pm On Mar 11, 2012
Afam does not hate Yorubas or any other ethnic group for that matter. But I feel hurt by what we experienced during the civil war and I think that's what has engineered a sort of waryness(is there a word like this?) of Igbos towards Yorubas. Apart from tha we're cool.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by GAR3TH(m): 11:44pm On Mar 11, 2012
Throughout history there has NOT been any conflict between Yoruba and Igbos. There was no war or conflict between the Nri kingdom and the Oyo Empire nor are there any conflict between these two in this modern age. Yorubas and Igbos (like other southern groups) have been trading with one another for years and have a strong bond. There really is no rivalry nor is there tension between these two tribes.

The only way I can see a case for a "rivalry" is during the civil war. But then was Yoruba the only tribe who fought. Every tribe fought in the civil war so to just single out Yorubas is a bit misleading.

In summary Yorubas and Igbo have a long friendly history between the two groups and they have yet to be any conflict between the two. The only place were you'll see tension between the two groups is on Nairaland. But we all can agree that its the same tribalists who constantly post and they don't represent the average Igbo or Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by NwanyiOma1: 2:12am On May 29, 2012
i personally see that Yorubas can't be trusted as far as you can throw them. They are so jealous of the Igbos and are quite dirty. Ever been to a Yoruba man's home. One WoRd: Unkempt/ DIRTY! Obviously I am commenting on this page because of one Facebook page and how Yorubas never want to face the music. I despise them
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by NwanyiOma1: 3:11am On May 29, 2012
seunowokade: i never had d opotunity 2 instruct God 2 creat me as yoruba or ibo, then why should i hate u for whom u are, am very proud 2 b yoruba guy and i dont av any reason 2 hate u bcs u ar this and that, it all sound like child play here, pls let act as a mature mind and let avoid those mistake our 4father made then that stil afect us. Pls!!! my people.

It's IGBO, you prick!
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by NwanyiOma1: 3:18am On May 29, 2012
ezeagu:

Typical unthinking, mindless, robotic, hypocritical, Nigerian zombie. How many of those marriages are you going to split apart after your plan to send Igbo packing from your town? let's dig up a quote.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=849414.msg10001864#msg10001864

PLEASE NO IGBO WORTH HER DOWRY WANTS TO END UP WITH A YORUBA. TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE. I DETEST YORUBAS, HALF OF THEM ARE NOT EVEN COMPLETELY BLACK, SOME ARE JUST LIKE AFRICAN-AMERICANS WITH THEIR WHITE ANCESTORS. LOL !
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by CyberG: 7:36am On May 29, 2012
NwanyiOma1:

PLEASE NO IGBO WORTH HER DOWRY WANTS TO END UP WITH A YORUBA. TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE. I DETEST YORUBAS, HALF OF THEM ARE NOT EVEN COMPLETELY BLACK, SOME ARE JUST LIKE AFRICAN-AMERICANS WITH THEIR WHITE ANCESTORS. LOL !

Another vermin who claims to be Ibo just crawled out of the gutter! Just hang on there and the stinky, ooy-gooy sewage would come wash you right back down to the cesspit of dirt where you belong!
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by baysol: 11:22am On Jun 06, 2012
If Oduduwa was for the yorubas by history who the bloody guy gave rise to igbo bloody peps who always mind other peoples business and never mind theirs(all in the gene).. Very uniform in tribalism none exempted in the Igbo clan. Very ungrateful lovers of money who are never contented with what they have no wonder they carry their shit all over the place in the name of trading. Lazy people that pretend to be busy trading while eying drug, robbery and other neferious acts(How many ibos are bricklayers or attisans because they believe in mony not work). Igbos the unwelcome visitor who want to turn himself to land lord at all cost(their regular trade mark). No wonder molas always kill them for their neivity and arrogance. I believe anytime yorubas are compared in Nigeria Igbos should cover their head in shame. Who welcome you most in Nigeria beyond your welcome? the answer is the yorubas. The yorubas have better relationship with better tribes like the effiks and ibibios who are mutually respectful of others unlike your uncouth types that must go to their Biafra hell hole soon. Yes yorubas can't stand the Igbo uncultured behaviour but we do not hate any tribe not to talk of Igbo. To prove this yorubas have never said Igbos must go. I hope it will not get to that with the way things are going in Nigeria currently (courtesy of a Igbo extract GEJ and his bad governance). How then do you blaim the yorubas for this. 2015 remains a dream to you Igbos as no one will trust you with one Nigeria beyond 2015 because you lac credibility and focus as a people. No leaders no plans except selfish ones. Abeg make una go sidon yorubas is not your problem you problem is complex and incapability.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by blocker: 7:15am On Jun 07, 2012
baysol: If Oduduwa was for the yorubas by history who the bloody guy gave rise to igbo bloody peps who always mind other peoples business and never mind theirs(all in the gene).. Very uniform in tribalism none exempted in the Igbo clan. Very ungrateful lovers of money who are never contented with what they have no wonder they carry their shit all over the place in the name of trading. Lazy people that pretend to be busy trading while eying drug, robbery and other neferious acts(How many ibos are bricklayers or attisans because they believe in mony not work). Igbos the unwelcome visitor who want to turn himself to land lord at all cost(their regular trade mark). No wonder molas always kill them for their neivity and arrogance. I believe anytime yorubas are compared in Nigeria Igbos should cover their head in shame. Who welcome you most in Nigeria beyond your welcome? the answer is the yorubas. The yorubas have better relationship with better tribes like the effiks and ibibios who are mutually respectful of others unlike your uncouth types that must go to their Biafra hell hole soon. Yes yorubas can't stand the Igbo uncultured behaviour but we do not hate any tribe not to talk of Igbo. To prove this yorubas have never said Igbos must go. I hope it will not get to that with the way things are going in Nigeria currently (courtesy of a Igbo extract GEJ and his bad governance). How then do you blaim the yorubas for this. 2015 remains a dream to you Igbos as no one will trust you with one Nigeria beyond 2015 because you lac credibility and focus as a people. No leaders no plans except selfish ones. Abeg make una go sidon yorubas is not your problem you problem is complex and incapability.

Baysol a Yoruba man once told me "Igbos are a necessary evil". In reply I said if that is the case you too are evil by definition of your statement. Why did Awolowo drag us back to NIGERIA when we opted out. And in the process caused the economic blocade that saw millions (especially children) in Igbo, Efik, Ibibio etc die of starvation due to no food and medicine. Awo did not stop there after the looting of homes, banks and businesses that went on (btw 66-70) he still went ahead to share 20 Nigerian Pounds as fixed exchange to money held by the people of the East. This economic advantage enabled your Fathers to buy into Nigerian Companies when the Indigenization decree of 1972 came to bear, you can still take our hard earned wealth and in less than 5 years we will make more of it. It is not as if we love money more than your people (Yorubas) but you people have the tendency to sit in plumb positions and sign out the money without moving from your seats making you the greatest parasites in the Country. You talk about Artisans and brick layers, know you now in case you have not travelled much ours is an egalitarian society there is no field in any sector where we don't have skills, go to other parts of Nigeria or abroad and you will feel the impact of our GDP contribution since you called IGBOS lazy I don't believe you can convince anybody on this planet, maybe MARS.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by blocker: 7:15am On Jun 07, 2012
baysol: If Oduduwa was for the yorubas by history who the bloody guy gave rise to igbo bloody peps who always mind other peoples business and never mind theirs(all in the gene).. Very uniform in tribalism none exempted in the Igbo clan. Very ungrateful lovers of money who are never contented with what they have no wonder they carry their shit all over the place in the name of trading. Lazy people that pretend to be busy trading while eying drug, robbery and other neferious acts(How many ibos are bricklayers or attisans because they believe in mony not work). Igbos the unwelcome visitor who want to turn himself to land lord at all cost(their regular trade mark). No wonder molas always kill them for their neivity and arrogance. I believe anytime yorubas are compared in Nigeria Igbos should cover their head in shame. Who welcome you most in Nigeria beyond your welcome? the answer is the yorubas. The yorubas have better relationship with better tribes like the effiks and ibibios who are mutually respectful of others unlike your uncouth types that must go to their Biafra hell hole soon. Yes yorubas can't stand the Igbo uncultured behaviour but we do not hate any tribe not to talk of Igbo. To prove this yorubas have never said Igbos must go. I hope it will not get to that with the way things are going in Nigeria currently (courtesy of a Igbo extract GEJ and his bad governance). How then do you blaim the yorubas for this. 2015 remains a dream to you Igbos as no one will trust you with one Nigeria beyond 2015 because you lac credibility and focus as a people. No leaders no plans except selfish ones. Abeg make una go sidon yorubas is not your problem you problem is complex and incapability.

Baysol a Yoruba man once told me "Igbos are a necessary evil". In reply I said if that is the case you too are evil by definition of your statement. Why did Awolowo drag us back to NIGERIA when we opted out. And in the process caused the economic blocade that saw millions (especially children) in Igbo, Efik, Ibibio etc die of starvation due to no food and medicine. Awo did not stop there after the looting of homes, banks and businesses that went on (btw 66-70) he still went ahead to share 20 Nigerian Pounds as fixed exchange to money held by the people of the East. This economic advantage enabled your Fathers to buy into Nigerian Companies when the Indigenization decree of 1972 came to bear, you can still take our hard earned wealth and in less than 5 years we will make more of it. It is not as if we love money more than your people (Yorubas) but you people have the tendency to sit in plumb positions and sign out the money without moving from your seats making you the greatest parasites in the Country. You talk about Artisans and brick layers, know you now in case you have not travelled much ours is an egalitarian society there is no field in any sector where we don't have skills, go to other parts of Nigeria or abroad and you will feel the impact of our GDP contribution since you called IGBOS lazy I don't believe you can convince anybody on this planet, maybe MARS.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by blackboi(m): 8:21pm On Jun 07, 2012
unipol: don't ask. go and read the Nigerian history, especially the civil war. you will find out why a sensible igbo man will never trust a Yoruba man. you will found out the real meaning of 2face and 2tongue. you will ask what happened to millions of igbo children effected by kworshiokor. what happened to the biafran money and economy.what happened to the igbo women, children and non-combatant men. and you will join other intelligent people to ask. will God ever forgive those bastards? will awolowo have peace in the land of the deads. a fake man is no man's friend.
BE WARNED, BE VI GILLANT, DON'T FALL ANOTHER VICTIM.

gringrin i dey laff o! gringrin
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by blocker: 7:34am On Jun 08, 2012
cry angry
blackboi:

blackboi:

One LIEGERIA!!
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by cashcpt(m): 9:41am On Jun 08, 2012
Diligence: Of course not, but the bane of the problem borders on TRUST; Awolowo betrayed Ojukwu.  Even supported blocking of all sea, air and land access to medical supplies to food to our dying innocent and harmless women and children.  It was an organised pogrom/genocide against NDIGBO: what a betrayal to those who fed him, clothed him and even lodged him in a first-class hotel under the protection of The Eastern Region.

The only yoruba man an Igboman respects forever is FRANCIS FAJUYI, who wld not stand having a visiting Head of State (Aguiyi Ironsi) executed at his door steps, when he had a state visit to Ibadan, and he decided to lay down his life as he can't stand an accusation of connivance in the death of a head of state.

O boy since then, e go take another life and world to trust a yoruba man for any cause!  Professionally, we can work together, etc, but for TRUST, forget it for life!

We don't hate them, as we NDIGBO can't afford to hate, we invest anywhere and everywhere so why shld u hate?

Ojukwu must have been a first class slowpoke to think that becos he lodged Awo in good hotel suites plus other ephemeral benefits- Yorubas wld be ready to follow Igbos into a lost cause- a losing war where we wld hv had to fight guerilla style to dispel the tens of thousand occupation Northern troops from the western region.and we support the starvation weapon- it worked didn't it? Trust who needs your trust? Get it right Igbos wld always need Yoruba lands, connections, business opportunities even online community like NL.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by seanet02: 11:07am On Jun 08, 2012
alj harem:

I don't hate Igbos but chose whatever you want to believe

I know an avearge South-southern don't hate yoruba. Of course I know you are not the one to tell me that

Also I know any avearge Igbo does not hate yoruba but have a preconception about them which nairaland feed upon.

I have lived among high concentrations of Igbos and that even why I know some phrases and words in Igbo.

I know an avaerge Igbo man or woman mentality and I know it is not hate. cool

With that said I spoke to an biafran ex-soldier once who even has a scars from the war and he explained a lot to me which I understand as a human being.

I would to tell you that you people have to becareful of what you read on NL and how to know those that are tribal and those that are just reacting to what they have read on NL.

As I said earlier yorubas on NL are NOT any better but at time I feel like the Igbos on the internet are taking it a bit too far  with lies and falsehood. The reason I do not know.

I have put myself In the shoes of an Igbo man and yoruba man before. Now I ask you to put yourself in the shoes of an avaerge yoruba man when you insult him or his people. Exactly he you would react but as I have stated before on NL, Yorubas are too mouthy and they would keep the insult and not stop once they get angry.

That is why I always advice likes of PointB and co to stop making fun of them.

From the begininnig of the thread you noticed that sbeezy8 was just laughing because they do not take it serious until someone posted and called them backstabbers. That is wrong, I bet you would want the yorubas to respect your people as well and not call them names right ? Yeah respect is reciprocal.

Lets learn to respect each other and if an ideeiot decides to go tribal, just ignore it. The only period I would advice you to comment is when it is becoming free for all fight.

That way like of seant02 who have left NL would disappear and we would learn to respect and tolerate each other.

What is the point of all this insult and hurting each other's feelings ? No point or reason

I would not be a hypocrite here, I was part of the problem before but I was only reacting to what I have read and I guess I took it a bit too far as you are well aware of.

But I am sure you know what I mean. If we ignore and respect each other opinion without bring the past to every political topic we should be do fine.

The mistrust and hate would take us nowhere. Already Boko haram is taking advantage of the situation.

I just hope you understand my point.
who told you i have left nairaland? Abi you don inhale premium brand ganja?
Me i dey kampe, just that i have been busy since ACN won in Ogun state.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by zendy: 1:32pm On Aug 13, 2014
Do the Igbos ( there is no such word as 'Ibo' in the Igbo language) and Yorubas hate each other? I think 'hate' here is a strong word. As an Igbo man, I can't speak for Yorubas but I do know that both ethnic groups do not see each other in a good light. Both ethnic groups have contempt and mistrust for each other. The Yorubas see Igbos as ungrateful,expansionist,money loving prats who cannot be trusted while Igbos see Yorubas as lazy, 2 faced cowards who's 'dobale' mentality extends to the northerners. I don't think we hate each other,but we can't stand each other either. One thing that increases this tension is that Yorubas know that there are millions of Igbos living on Yoruba land with hardly any Yoruba presence in Igboland.This is one of the reasons that the Igbos believe they understand Yorubas better than Yorubas understand Igbos. Both ethnic groups are in excess of 30 million individuals each so it's only natural that there will be intense rivalry. The good thing about Igbos and Yorubas is that both ethnic groups don't see any need for sectarian violence unlike the north. We tolerate each other but we don't love each other.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by uzoexcel(m): 3:04pm On Aug 13, 2014
londoner and co.. some of the most logical responses u guys have profered....pls read d link below and hope our eyes ll be opened
https://www.nairaland.com/1402108/igbos-yorubas-hausas-xtian-muslim#17514262

SILAKABUWA: The Real Nigerians

"It is ironic that the removal of fuel subsidy will start the process of uniting this country. Even though I am saddened by the cruel policy of the removal of subsidy, a part of me rejoices by the pictures of unity as in observing Muslims and Christians protesting together, protecting places of worships in Kaduna and some other northern cities. It is quite encouraging.
We now know that some fifth columnist are trying very had to see that Nigeria plunges into a civil war.
If you are like me, if this note applies to you or someone you know, please tell us your story and repost this note on your wall so that the evil doers will know that they have failed as 9ja is 2mixed-up, 2b messed up."
Nnenna1:

Like you, I had joined this site to socialize with other Nigerians and be up to speed with politics, culture, entertainment and everything in-between. Nairaland has come a loooong way since when I first registered almost 7 years ago. The latent (but tolerable) level of tribalism existing then has evolved into a internet "mondo" freak show.

This site is an embarrassment to the image of Nigerians and our haters are reveling in it. But what can I say - the tribalists can keep doing what they enjoy to do. As long as you keep scoring brownie points in each debate so that you can sleep better at night, what do you care, right?

To add to what Londoner said - everyone talking about how this is the internet and that all of this is divorced from reality should wake up. This is part of the media and the media is influential in creating reality from "entertainment." The "question" of Igbos and Yorubas hating each other in real life will be guaranteed as the rabid tribalism exhibited here will spill onto the surface (particularly among the educated class) if care is not taken. You think millions of people cannot access this forum and read as their ethnic groups are attacked by "fellow" Nigerians?

Which brings me to Seun:

It would be nice to issue a statement or address the level of hatred being allowed in this forum. You used to be very involved and almost dictatorial in keeping this site "squeaky clean." What happened? undecided I know this site has expanded and all but there are moderators. Why don't they keep to the standard that made Nairaland what it was? They even seem to give quiet approval by giving tribalistic threads like this front page status.

gbam
zendy: Do the Igbos ( there is no such word as 'Ibo' in the Igbo language) and Yorubas hate each other? I think 'hate' here is a strong word. As an Igbo man, I can't speak for Yorubas but I do know that both ethnic groups do not see each other in a good light. Both ethnic groups have contempt and mistrust for each other. The Yorubas see Igbos as ungrateful,expansionist,money loving prats who cannot be trusted while Igbos see Yorubas as lazy, 2 faced cowards who's 'dobale' mentality extends to the northerners. I don't think we hate each other,but we can't stand each other either. One thing that increases this tension is that Yorubas know that there are millions of Igbos living on Yoruba land with hardly any Yoruba presence in Igboland.This is one of the reasons that the Igbos believe they understand Yorubas better than Yorubas understand Igbos. Both ethnic groups are in excess of 30 million individuals each so it's only natural that there will be intense rivalry. The good thing about Igbos and Yorubas is that both ethnic groups don't see any need for sectarian violence unlike the north. We tolerate each other but we don't love each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlzuWbDHZrU
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: Do We Really Hate Each Other? by tpiadotcom: 1:23am On Apr 02, 2015
Which nigerian tribe actually hates yorubas the most?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Military Not Sincere On Casualty Figure Of Sunday’s Attack – Borno Residents / Ekiti House Of Assembly Impeaches Speaker And Deputy, Hon Alagbada Now Speaker / Rivers APC Returns To Supreme Court Today [Monday]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.