Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,642 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? (31958 Views)

Agatu Killings: Benue Threatens Reprisal, Urges Fg’s Intervention / Dj Xclusive's Experience In Hero Fiesta3 In Onitsha Over National Anthem / Hausa Traders, Soldiers Clash In Mile 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by onomeasike: 1:15am On Jan 22, 2012
Tension in Onitsha over ejection of Yoruba, Hausa traders

By Adimike George1 hour ago

Font size:

TENSION is mounting in the commercial city of Onitsha, Anambra State following ejection order on Hausa and Yoruba traders along the Bridgehead market.

The traders, who described the state government’s directive as biased and ethnically motivated, argued that they are legitimate tenants to the Federal Ministry of Housing adding that they have valid receipt of payment that will expire by 2014.

The spokesmen of the group, Chief Lateef Balogun and Tanimu Ibrahim, alleged that the state government had concluded plans to lease the plot of land to a major transporter in Onitsha , adding that they were not given any alternative site to relocate to.

The duo, stated that the move to throw them out of the place of business they have occupied for over 40 years without plan for compensation or relocation is a subtle way of sacking the Yoruba and Hausa communities in the state.

According to them, “What they are planning to do is to subtly sack us from the state but as Nigerians we have the right to live and do business in any part of the country without fear of intimidation. We shall resist any plot to stampede us out of the market by agents of government over a flimsy excuse”.

However when contacted the Special Adviser to the governor on Parks and Market, Chief Sylvester Nwaobualor, said that the move to eject the traders was not political or motivated by ethnic considerations but a strict measure to clean up and beautify the Bridgehead which serves as the gateway to the state and the entire Southeast.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by ezeagu(m): 1:30am On Jan 22, 2012
You already know what's coming. . . .
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by aljharem(m): 1:31am On Jan 22, 2012
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by onomeasike: 1:36am On Jan 22, 2012
alj harem:

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/34089-tension-in-onitsha-over-ejection-of-yoruba-hausa-traders.html

hmmmmm,

Abeg,leave the messenger and focus on the message.the govt did not deny sending them packing.I think our leaders always do the wrong things at the wrong time.It is becoming a generational curse!
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by sbeezy8: 1:37am On Jan 22, 2012
what sensible yoruba man will trade in the SE of all places?

He deserves it.

2 Likes

Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Obiagu1(m): 1:39am On Jan 22, 2012
There are thousands of Igbo traders on that same bridgehead too.

So maybe rephrase the title to "Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa Traders"

4 Likes

Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by aljharem(m): 1:40am On Jan 22, 2012
onomeasike:

Abeg,leave the messenger and focus on the message.the govt did not deny sending them packing.I think our leaders always do the wrong things at the wrong time.It is becoming a generational curse!

all i did is post a link, I have not said anything undecided
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by aljharem(m): 1:41am On Jan 22, 2012
sbeezy8:

what sensible yoruba man will trade in the SE of all places?

He deserves it.

I believe if igbos can trade anywhere in the country, yorubas and hausas too have equal right to trade anywhere in the country even in the SE.

Moreover this is not a tribal issue but more of a politcal issue with peter obi and chime
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by onomeasike: 1:49am On Jan 22, 2012
why should it be now that the igbo political leaders will do such a thing!

Obiagu1:

There are thousands of Igbo traders on that same bridge head too.

So maybe rephrase the title to "Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa Traders"

go tell it to the marines.The transporters that will take up the place are the young shall grow,chisco transport,odilichukwu motors et al.it just confirms there is a subtle move to retaliate.it is typical igbo cowardice or plain insensitivity to the national mood.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Obiagu1(m): 1:50am On Jan 22, 2012
onomeasike:

onomeasike:

go tell it to the marines.The transporters that will take up the place are the young shall grow,chisco transport,odilichukwu motors et al.it just confirms there is a subtle move to retaliate.it is typical igbo cowardice or plain insensitivity to the national mood.

Who are you?
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by onomeasike: 1:55am On Jan 22, 2012
Obiagu1:

Who are you?

I AM MY FATHER'S SON!What a question.I am definitely not i[b]gbotic[/b]!
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Obiagu1(m): 1:57am On Jan 22, 2012
onomeasike:

I AM MY FATHER'S SON!What a question.I am definitely not i[b]gbotic[/b]!

oh ok, you're bipolar?
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by onomeasike: 2:05am On Jan 22, 2012
Obiagu1:

oh ok, you're bipolar?

instead of you to join patriotic Nigerians in condemning what the Anambra govt is doing,you are making scathing remarks.
By the time the Yorubas chase igbos out of Ladipo,Aspamda,Balogun,Oshodi markets etc.,you will cry blue mother.Remember how Biafran troops were matching through Ore in yorubaland on the way to Lagos,yet claiming to be fighting the Hausa -Fulanis.The igbos must build and sustain a southern solidarity,not destroy it.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Obiagu1(m): 2:12am On Jan 22, 2012
You're so silly you cannot even cover your motive and your bigotry.

I pointed out to you that the Igbo are there too in that same bridgehead (or headbridge as they call it) but you only lashed out at me. Idi.ot!

There are far more Igbos on that headbridge than anyone else and it's a complete mess like Oshodi.
If you've been to Onitsha, you'll not talk poo like you're talking.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by bashr8: 3:03am On Jan 22, 2012
Nonsense anybody that knows oinithsha know there are more igbos in that head bridge than any other group, someone is trying to stir up confusion. The titles should be igbos,Hausa and Yoruba traders complain

1 Like

Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Onlytruth(m): 3:13am On Jan 22, 2012
Easy problem with easy solution.
If they are obstructing right of way and traffic, under Land Use Act, the governor has the powers to eject them from there and pay compensation (if they have legal title), if they don't have legal titltle, well, too bad.
This is not different from what Fashola did at Oshodi.

Some idddiots are looking for cheap attention.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Nchara: 3:17am On Jan 22, 2012
How many Igbo traders did Fasola/Tinubu eject in different parts of Lagos in their bid (fake or real) to develop Lagos? Did heaven fall then? Why should heaven fall now that traders in unsightly places in Onitsha are being ejected to develop the place?
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Nchara: 3:19am On Jan 22, 2012
BTW,

So does Negro and his alter ego Rhino know that there are uncountable Yorubas in Igboland?
The other time Igbos in Enugu were asking for free land to build their community center as though they cannot buy a piece of land and build, without asking for free land. Do Igbos in SW get free land? No.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by ezeagu(m): 3:53am On Jan 22, 2012
Nchara:

BTW,

So does Negro and his alter ego Rhino know that there are uncountable Yorubas in Igboland?
The other time Igbos in Enugu were asking for free land to build their community center as though they cannot buy a piece of land and build, without asking for free land. Do Igbos in SW get free land? No.

It's funny how our friends who's main goal in life is to mind Igbo issues are missing from this thread. By the way, HeadBridge looks like a bombed refugee camp.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Nchara: 4:08am On Jan 22, 2012
BTW,

This is either an old news or a repeat of old news by a decrepit newpaper. I have read a similar article a few years ago. It has nothing to do with reprisal in the current BH menace. The traders refused to go and have always been at loggerheads with the authorities.

Two dead as soldiers, traders clash in Onitsha
By Our correspondent
Monday, 28 Jan 2008

View All (0) Comment(s)

Post Comment

Twitter

Send to friend

Two persons were shot dead while several others sustained injuries when some soldiers clashed with traders in Onitisha, Anambra State, on Saturday.

The News Agency of Nigeria said that the clash occurred following Anambra State Government‘s ejection order given to traders on a plot of land along the Bridge Head area of the commercial city.

An eyewitness account said trouble started at about 5pm. when some armed soldiers, drafted from the 302 Artillery Regiment, Onitsha, invaded the controversial plot of land.

The traders, who blocked the Enugu/Onitsha expressway in protest at the relocation order, were said to have confronted the soldiers, leading to two persons being shot dead.

The traders had insisted they would not vacate the plot claiming it was given to them by the Federal Government.

It was learnt that the soldiers, following orders from the state government had on Friday, warned the traders to vacate the place.

“The Army, in their bid to bring the situation under control when they met the traders protesting and chanting war songs, shot indiscriminately into the air.

“But in the process, two of the traders attempted to snatch a gun from one of the soldiers and perhaps in defence, they were killed.

“This thing happened within seconds,” the eye witness said.

http://archive.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200801282104723
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by dayokanu(m): 4:55am On Jan 22, 2012
Hmmm Maybe its time for Igbos in SW to shift small to their towns
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by BlackPikiN(m): 5:08am On Jan 22, 2012
^^^^ You just dey behave like mumu wey you be.
I never see a conc hediot like you.
Abi na lake of exposure from Ogbomosho dey worry you.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Nchara: 5:16am On Jan 22, 2012
dayokanu:

Hmmm Maybe its time for Igbos in SW to shift small to their towns

Where were you when Tinubu and then Fasola were ejecting Igbos in their markets with the excuse of developing the place? Do you want me to pull the articles here? Now Anambra govt wan develop Onitsha you dey cry. tribalistic olodo rabata
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by dayokanu(m): 6:00am On Jan 22, 2012
BlackPikiN:

^^^^ You just dey behave like mumu wey you be.
I never see a conc hediot like you.
Abi na lake of exposure from Ogbomosho dey worry you.

Bros abeg small small wetin be that one wey you write for there?

Shey na your Igbo exposure make you write that one
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Rhino5dm: 7:10am On Jan 22, 2012
You are dolt, dumb, dullard,dimwits and dunderhead. Wear your thinking cap and remove your bigotry glasses for a second.

Where did you ever read from ANY non-Igbo boasting about their plans of taking over Igbo land? Do you see me supporting the reaction of the Yoruba or Hausa leaders? NO!!

But lets us turn the table and mirror the news for a while, let us assume this news filters in from Kaduna and Yoruba and Igbos were ask to vacate a certain location in Malali. This thread would have been in its nth pages, with alot of Igbos coming here to remind us how they are the ONLY targets and what not.

Take a look at the bombings in Kano for example, the offical dead figures should be in the neighbourhood of 200 people. My question here is, how many Igbos are victims of the bomb blast to warrant Igbo leaders in Kano claiming the attack was targeted at Igbos? On what basis was he making such reetarded claims??

Do you know how many non indigines living in Kano? How does this bomb blast turns out to be igbo issue? The Yoruba guy on this article did not single out the Yoruba as the main targets, neither is the northern dude.( I swear with any thing that, should this thing involved 2 Igbos living in foriegn state, the Igbos would have turn this headlines and make it look like this . . . . "Igbos under attack" or "Reprisal against the peace loving Ndigbo" and all that.

I dont know the true state of issue, why should i start crying ethnic sentiments?? Even though, i know what Igbos are capable of doing. Sane people look for multiple sources and possible wait for comments from both side before making conclusion.

Nchara:

BTW,

Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by texazzpete(m): 7:16am On Jan 22, 2012
Obiagu1:

There are thousands of Igbo traders on that same bridgehead too.

Please keep this in mind next time you and your ilk come here to insinuate that only Igbos are the victims of Boko Haram attacks.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by hercules07: 7:29am On Jan 22, 2012
The guys should vacate the land if they have been given a legal order or they can take the case to court, there is nothing tribal about this, Nigerians are fond of trading in any open spot, that Onitsha needs to be cleaned.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by russellino: 7:52am On Jan 22, 2012
The OP should be watched closely. I wonder what he is trying to achieve with this topic. Bridgehead has been cleared lots of times and I am too familiar with that place to be fooled by the way it is being painted. The ratio of igbo traders to non igbo traders is 15 to 1. I won't be surprised if the OP is alj harem. I noticed how quick he was to jump in and start talking crap about igbo traders in lagos. Its obvious where u guys are heading with this. We dey watch

1 Like

Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by Timmy321(m): 8:31am On Jan 22, 2012
l
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by andyanders: 8:35am On Jan 22, 2012
Moderator, Iink yo should be civil in what you are doing. Stop posting topics that ca ignite problems. For you to post  sensitive  topic like this shows that you have virus in your brain. There are topics you should be careful bringing out here. This shows that you are a trouble shooter and need not to be taken seriousely.

Have you been able to find out what went wrong? What of what Fashola did at Oshodi? What of most areas where Ibos trade in Lagos and they were displaced? Why didnt post it that Fashola has thrown Ibos, housas and other ethnic groups out? You should be careful the way the poster and you the moderator rush to post issues that could trigger war.
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by buchio7(m): 8:35am On Jan 22, 2012
na wah ohhh for naija, most of d ppl crying ethnic cleansing dont even knw where headbridge is n make up of ppl dere,

Headbridge is predorminantly traded on by igbos and nt hausa nor yoruba so dis policy affects igbos more dan anybody,

U bigots shd sheat ur blood,dripping fangs n take a jump frm d top of kainji, get a life, again i say GET A LIFE!!!

IKE EWU KA UNU BU
Re: Tension In Onitsha Over Ejection Of Yoruba, Hausa Traders.reprisal? by blank(f): 8:40am On Jan 22, 2012
Why does the front page talk about Enugu govt? Abeg, moderators, small geography lessons would have helped u. The article clearly mentions Anambra.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Saraki Addresses Protesting National Assembly Staff, As Ahmed Lawal Speaks / Sack Of Usman Mohammed, TCN Boss Pits SGF Against COS / Burial Photos Of DIG Joseph Obiajulu Egbunike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.