Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,786 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43338 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 7:42pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^^
Evidences,please.

About what, about Tyler Perry making the most money in Hollywood for his black productions, google is your friend my dear. You only have to ask white people have you heard of Tyler Perry, have you watched any of his films. Just like Bollywood industry makes money off Indian women, just like Nollywood industry makes the most money off Black women, just like Hollywood and white films make the most money of white women, black films in Hollywood make the most money off black women, this is not hard to understand.

A lot of non-white people watch white films because their is nothing else available normally and no options, but when a film about black people is out, with a black cast, black people are more than likely to support this film regardless if it's good or not. That Red Tails film which excluded bw had a vast amount of bw more than bm watching this film, it's pathetic, they should have boycotted that movie too, but they watched it out of principle to prove to Hollywood a black film can make money. Tyler Perry is proof, he made more money than Jerry Bruickemer, Spielberg last year ending between may - may 2011. And if you think it was white people watching his movies and shows, think again.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:49pm On Feb 12, 2012
Once again vescussi the mod isnt doing his job.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 8:11pm On Feb 12, 2012
I dislike how people are extremely ignorant about film and it's paying customers/audiences.

Tyler Perry makes most of his money from black people, black women were the ones supporting his career when he was producing his theater plays, they were also the ones who were attending the movie Red Tails the majority, one black person who went to the cinema to watch Red Tails said he saw a 60% bw audience 20% bm audience and the rest. A film which left bw out of it.

You have no idea about the demographic of people who watch certain type of films. Black women made Tyler Perry the richest producer in Hollywood last year, I know white people who don't even know who he is let alone watched one of his films. Black people are more inclined to watch films with black people in them then white people. I'm sure a film like this will cross over to a multi-cutural audiences because it's about war, but do not sniff at a demographic of people who have the spending power to add to a films success and the money it could possibly take in. This is why black people get used because they do not know about simple things. Bw should boycott this movie and not add one dime to this movies income.

Wow!!! Because Tyler Perry is a black producer doesnt mean black people are the most that watch his movie at the cinema, its like when people tought only black people buy rap music until it was proved that 75% of the people who buys black rappers CDs are caucasian! Tyler Perry made a lot of money from his movies, he made a baulk of his earning from US movie industries which has a ratio of 80/20 dominated by caucasian viewers!!! this is why I said the production company of the movie "Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting" would not loose any sleep if people like you decide to boycott the movie knowing that a movie like Tsotsi grossed over $10m all over the world.

Yes!!! we have sensitive people who feel they could the object anything, The Family of Ruben Harricane Carter didnt support the idea of Denzil Washington acting in the Hurricane, The same with Will Smith in the Pursuit of Happiness!!! Madonna playing Evita! the main fact here is that the writer of the book has given the movie a go ahead so if and when the movie is released the whole would be watching, Africans, Asians, European etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 8:50pm On Feb 12, 2012
I never thought for one second that black people were the only ones buying rap music, it's quite obvious white people bought rap music, but Tyler Perry for him to even get the money he gathered to make his film productions he started it off by plays and his plays were watched by black people, black women mostly. You can deny this if you want all you like. Music is a different thing all together. Lots of black people do not even buy rap music.

Anyway most of these black people are put mostly in black magazines and on covers more than any white magazines, if you want to deny the support factor black people give to these black celebs more than anyone keeping them relevent, whatever. But Tyler Perry's movies are supported mostly by black people. Fact
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 9:02pm On Feb 12, 2012
Slum Dog Millionaire had an all Asian cast and that movie crossed over, because it was amazing, everyone watched it. This movie this writer has allowed to go ahead putting Thandie Newton in it is plain lazy and wrong. It's lazy for the whites in the UK who are casting her because they don't care if it's as authentic as possible, they just want to make one of those oscar worthy films and they are using Thandie because she is familiar to people.

Frieda Pinto was an unknown in Slum Dog Millionaire and now is very well known because of that film, it is pure laziness and an excuse to tell me they want this film to cross over that is why they need a biracial who is consider black in many white people's eyes anyway, when the book is about an Igbo woman and if they cast a black woman, this film if it's done as well as Slum dog Millionaire, I'm sure it would attract as many audiences as possible. I will not accept falsities.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 12, 2012
lola lola:

About what, about Tyler Perry making the most money in Hollywood for his black productions, google is your friend my dear. You only have to ask white people have you heard of Tyler Perry, have you watched any of his films. Just like Bollywood industry makes money off Indian women, just like Nollywood industry makes the most money off Black women, just like Hollywood and white films make the most money of white women, black films in Hollywood make the most money off black women, this is not hard to understand.

A lot of non-white people watch white films because their is nothing else available normally and no options, but when a film about black people is out, with a black cast, black people are more than likely to support this film regardless if it's good or not. That Red Tails film which excluded bw had a vast amount of bw more than bm watching this film, it's pathetic, they should have boycotted that movie too, but they watched it out of principle to prove to Hollywood a black film can make money. Tyler Perry is proof, he made more money than Jerry Bruickemer, Spielberg last year ending between may - may 2011. And if you think it was white people watching his movies and shows, think again.
Please, show me links or rather show me a sign(lol @ that one)? Tyler Perry is not as good a movie producer/director as you are alluding to. You are making it looks as if his movies are well received by the black community world wide. He is not well known outside of  US and it is  among old black people as well as those making sure to promote black movies(which is a good thing).But, can't we see beyond race as well and be global in our approach? Most of his movies are dramas and relating to African-Americans family values . All, I am saying we can not continue on the footstep of engaging in such thing targeting black audience only, which could have been better if all audiences are the target.

This movie is to showcase a very important story that talked about African issue the world would be interested to see from a better angle - like production, quality of actors, etc. Again,to use better actors and actresses, like Thandie Newton, Chiwetel Ejiefor(who happens to be a Nigerian),he acted along side Thandie Newton in the movie 2012,etc to get through to outside world is necessarily right. Ejiefor is playing a leading role to in this movies - he has done the same in white movies too. We have seen movies of same background being produced before with little or no Nigerians in them, like the Tears  Of The Sun. Little are know about African movies and they have to be done in a way that would reach enthusiastic audiences and appealing to the world than the usual Nollywood works( Nollywood is there for those fighting for Nigerians actors to be used or boycott the movie).

To boycott this movie by Nigerians is not going to have any major effect, if anything out all. Those sponsoring it knows how to market their product and I doubt if Nigerians are the main target of this movie. So, what's the fuss all about with the actors who happened to be blacks themselves?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 9:17pm On Feb 12, 2012
And I find it funny that all you have done when mentioning those films such as Evita, Ruben Harricane Carter, Madonna is Italian Jewish and she played another white person and the rest were black being played by a black person, there is a massive difference for a biracial playing a black woman from Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 9:21pm On Feb 12, 2012
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2011/09/12/the-highest-paid-men-in-entertainment/
Tyler Perry highest paid man in entertainment. May 2010- May 2011
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 12, 2012
lola lola:

Slum Dog Millionaire had an all Asian cast and that movie crossed over, because it was amazing, everyone watched it. This movie this writer has allowed to go ahead putting Thandie Newton in it is plain lazy and wrong. It's lazy for the whites in the UK who are casting her because they don't care if it's as authentic as possible, they just want to make one of those oscar worthy films and they are using Thandie because she is familiar to people.

Frieda Pinto was an unknown in Slum Dog Millionaire and now is very well known because of that film, it is pure laziness and an excuse to tell me they want this film to cross over that is why they need a biracial who is consider black in many white people's eyes anyway, when the book is about an Igbo woman and if they cast a black woman, this film if it's done as well as Slum dog Millionaire, I'm sure it would attract as many audiences as possible. I will not accept falsities.
You are just being myopic. The Slumdog Millionaire major character was Asian not living in Asia just like Chiwetel Ejiofor, apart from the little boy and girl characters depicting them at the young age. [b]Is Thandie Newton not an African?  [/b]She is an African, please, let us get things straight here and not arguing with less information!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 9:27pm On Feb 12, 2012
Now if you can argue the case as to why Slumdog Millionaire used an all Asian cast some on them local people apparently and still was able to appeal to many audiences, even  when I saw it I never thought nada about it being Asian other than it being a really good well scripted filmed movie and why bw should accept this biracial playing this part of an Igbo woman, when this proves that films which have strength of character and conviction regardless if they are in subtitles like The girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or have an Indian cast still cross over without going against authenticity.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^
Is she not an African?

Even in the Slumdog Millionaire, there were different shade of color of people. It is called diversity!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:34pm On Feb 12, 2012
Rofl. This discussion is now a joke.

Thanks for your input lola-lola. smiley Good luck responding to such ridiculous excuses.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 9:39pm On Feb 12, 2012
You are just being myopic. The Slumdog Millionaire major characters were Asians not living in Asia(like Chiwetel Ejiofor, Thandie Newton), apart from the little boy and girl characters depicting them at the young age. Is Thandie Newton not an African?  She is an African, please, let us get things straight here and not arguing less information!

How many Africans do you know growing up in a household with one white parent, how many black people do you know with one white parent, she is biracial I do not care if she is half black, I do not even care that her mother is black, she should not be playing this role, someone like Yaya DaCosta who is Nigerian would make a better actress for this role, Naomie Harris is a better actress than Thandie Newton, she was is 28 Days Later, Pirates of the Caribbean and she is about to play Miss Money Penny in the upcoming James Bond movie. Even Kerry Washington who has a part in the new upcoming Quentin Tarrantino movie playing Jamie Fox's wife, would make a better igbo woman than Thandie Newton, the casting was lazy. Even an unknown would have been much much better but this writer allowed these British people to do whatever and she has sold out the dignity, morality and purity of her book.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by safarigirl(f): 9:43pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^Preach sister, preach
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:44pm On Feb 12, 2012
lola lola:

Even an unknown would have been much much better but this writer allowed these British people to do whatever and she has sold out the dignity, morality and purity of her book.

agreed.

and please dont believe the lies, some are spewing to make their inaccurate point. Everyone in Slumdog Millionaire ARE Indians who LIVE in India except for Frida and Dev Patel.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Feb 12, 2012
@safarigirl

Hehehe . . .  grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 12, 2012
Please, check this link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/fullcredits for those of you who think all the characters in Slumdog Millionaire are from India or are Indians.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 9:57pm On Feb 12, 2012
Thandie Newton being in this movie is not going to make it cross over, this is a lie, any of the actresses I have mentioned could have made this film cross over, as long as it has diversity, I think there is a white person in it,  will appeal to white people, and in general war films appeal to white people and other people in general. The writer sold out the authenticity of her book. I would never put a biracial over a black woman in a film, if it flops so what but have some damn conviction and stand your ground, be true to your work, too many sell outs who realize they were wrong when it's to late.

Look at the Harry Potter woman, she wrote her book on trains while taking her little boy to school, she worked many years for that book to be seen and then she probably had a 100% say in who they cast for that film, I bet she was adamant and had respect for the authenticity of her characters. This Nigerian writer sold out, no doubt about it, she should have had conviction.

The misadventures of Awkward black girl, is an amazing production by a black woman that is on Youtube, it is cleverly written, funny and great, it has a bit of diversity too but many black characters women and men and is watched by different people. Gone are the old days of people thinking they need a biracial or a white person to sell things, it was always a lie and people who say it's not, say it so they can push their propaganda of white is right and reap the benefits of brainwashing. But when a film of good quality comes out regardless of color people watch it. Dream girls had Beyonce but who won the Oscar Jennifer Hudson. All lies I tell you, Thandie did not need to be cast in this film.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:58pm On Feb 12, 2012
Yes a link showing the cast of the movie definitely proves that they arent Indian nor do they live in Asia :rolleyes:
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 10:00pm On Feb 12, 2012
Thank you to all the people who agree, yeah I know about Slumdog. You do not need to sell out, you need conviction and for the film to resonate and be made in a mainstream way which suits most people.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 12, 2012
I thought somebody called other illiterates a lot in this forum yet didn't know what EVERYONE stood for in her comment! Huh!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 10:34pm On Feb 12, 2012
I dont know what peoples rant is, Tyler Perry is been ridicled by so many black artist after so many series of Madea stuff! Tyler is has a traget audience or should I say a target market, he hasnt handled a very big project apart from For Coloured girls!!! and didnt do as well as everyone expected! Hotel Rwanda had Sophie Okonedo a half POLISH/RUSSIAN,  at the end of the day! not all of us has a chip on our shoulder,

Thandie was in Beloved still we dont hear those who have chip on their shoulders complaining that she is half this half that.

Look at the Harry Potter woman, she wrote her book on trains while taking her little boy to school, she worked many years for that book to be seen and then she probably had a 100% say in who they cast for that film, I bet she was adamant and had respect for the authenticity of her characters. This Nigerian writer sold out, no doubt about it, she should have had conviction.

First of all JK Rowling doesnt have a son, and after so many rejection someone took a chance on her! JK Rowling had over half a $bn in wealth before they turned the story into a movie! so she in the position to make demands, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie wrote her book and she has right to choose who would do it Justice.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 10:49pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^^
Sophie Okenedo was Winnie Mandela in Mrs Mandela!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:54pm On Feb 12, 2012
lola lola:

Thank you to all the people who agree, yeah I know about Slumdog. You do not need to sell out, you need conviction and for the film to resonate and be made in a mainstream way which suits most people.

Simple as that.

anyway I ask you all to check out VillageBoi's short film. smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 11:06pm On Feb 12, 2012
Sophie Okenedo was Winnie Mandela in Mrs Mandela!

That's why it needs to stop. It's a black woman writer who should have known better and stuck to her guns. She is a sell out and I would never cast a biracial woman over a black woman, she should have done her research of actresses first instead of jumping on Thandie Newton because I bet she was their first choice, as I'm sure Thandie is very pally with the British makers of this film. Since there is not many non white actresses in the UK. I think her and the guy actor are too obvious for this film anyway, they need to freshen up the type of people they get to play in these types of movies, it's boring. I know they are both good, but this casting leaves nothing to the imagination imo.

Anyway smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 11:15pm On Feb 12, 2012
Ok J.K has a daughter then.

I don't care, the casting of Thandie Newton was lazy, this is why films are so boring nowadays, a new unknown actress can add a raw fire and passion to a movie such as this. Thandie when you think about her, she is just an annoying British person and you want us to believe she is an Igbo woman, the girl is going to be as thin as a rake and short, it's pathetic.

Anyway, I will be waiting for the next film written by a black person male or female that has the courage to cast his own people in the film, but sadly this is not it, I will have to pass on this film. It's just the way I feel.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:30pm On Feb 12, 2012
abeg no need to justify how you feel. Others think it's trivial, that's their business.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 11:45pm On Feb 12, 2012
Thandie when you think about her, she is just an annoying British person

We could all see your point now!!!!!!

Anyway, I will be waiting for the next film written by a black person male or female that has the courage to cast his own people in the film, but sadly this is not it, I will have to pass on this film. It's just the way I feel.

We see it everyday on HiTV or Nollywood channel, it doesnt look pretty!!

as I'm sure Thandie is very pally with the British makers of this film.

Well she is a Brit!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 8:16am On Feb 13, 2012
she is about to play Miss Money Penny in the upcoming James Bond movie.

The last time I checked Miss Money Penny has alway been WHITE (and British)!!! To you its seems Ok for the Miss Money Penny to be from the Caribbean and black!!! Interesting!!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 13, 2012
lola lola:

That's why it needs to stop. It's a black woman writer who should have known better and stuck to her guns. She is a sell out and I would never cast a biracial woman over a black woman, she should have done her research of actresses first instead of jumping on Thandie Newton because I bet she was their first choice, as I'm sure Thandie is very pally with the British makers of this film. Since there is not many non white actresses in the UK. I think her and the guy actor are too obvious for this film anyway, they need to freshen up the type of people they get to play in these types of movies, it's boring. I know they are both good, but this casting leaves nothing to the imagination imo.

Anyway smiley
Yet the TV movie was well received, even in South Africa. That goes a long way to prove that the quality of professional actors matters in some sense in some movies. This skin-color idea of scrutiny for movie casts is disturbing to say the least. I do believe it's been over-exaggerated by our Nigerian/black actors overlords about this upcoming movie in this thread.

There are quite good number of well over 170 black British actors available, like Caroline Chikezie, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje(who happened to be Nigerians too), etc. I doubt you checked for the list of black British actors in UK or Britain before posting the highlighted words. The nuances in the skin-color of the actors are likely not going to be hindrances in any way to the understanding of what this movie is all about.

I still think the characters thing is blown out of proportion.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 7:59pm On Feb 13, 2012
all4naija:

I still think the characters thing is blown out of proportion.

i want to see quality acting. . . . . .i don't give a f@ck if they give lady gaga the lead role in this movie - as long as she can perform the role excellently.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 9:08pm On Feb 13, 2012
i want to see quality acting. . . . . .i don't give a f@ck if they give lady gaga the lead role in this movie - as long as she can perform the role excellently.

Exactly, if Barack Obama had the same thinking of people here! he wouldnt have made it past Hilary Clinton let alone McCain

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

33years Later: Do You Remember These People? / Big Brother Naija Pornography: Nigerians Are All Hypocrites - Gochu Enwereji / Ini Edo the Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.