Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,746 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:57 PM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43851 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 9:09pm On Feb 13, 2012
omar22:

Exactly, if Barack Obama had the same thinking of people here! he wouldnt have made it past Hilary Clinton let alone McCain

only idiotic, moronic, deluded and brain-farting nigerians put colour of skin before quality acting.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:17pm On Feb 13, 2012
Just when I didnt think things could get worse, they have brought in Obama. ROFL. grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 9:25pm On Feb 13, 2012
Oh they have released the Kraken
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 10:46am On Feb 14, 2012
Marigold Hotel, 

Indian Story which has all the US/UK Oscar winners and Nominees you could find, you dont see Indians choking on their Rice and Curry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDY89LYxK0w

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:17pm On Feb 14, 2012
ROFL

Marigola Hotel is not an "Indian" story. It's a bunch of miserable white people who decide to live in India and they show the cultural shock/differences. Indian story ko. Story of India ni. Is Darjeeling Limited also an "Indian story".

You must think you have film illiterates in this thread.

Thanks for playing. Better Luck Next Time. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 7:02pm On Feb 14, 2012
Hmmmmmm ok

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 2:03am On Feb 15, 2012
Una dey watch movie sha.

Wetin be marigola abi marigolda hotel.

Never heard of either.

Right now the only indian actor i know is that little boy on disney.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by VillageBoi(m): 6:16pm On Feb 25, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Simple as that.

anyway I ask you all to check out VillageBoi's short film.  smiley

Thanks a lot for the plug sista!

lola lola:

Anyway, I will be waiting for the next film written by a black person male or female that has the courage to cast his own people in the film, but sadly this is not it, I will have to pass on this film. It's just the way I feel.

baby-boy:

We see it everyday on HiTV or Nollywood channel,  it doesnt look pretty!!

Lola, BabyBoy,  hopefully this is okish enough?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-866173.0.html#msg10151012

Thanks for watching!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by cheikh: 12:18am On Apr 30, 2012
@OP
Just heard today that Genevieve will also act in the forthcoming film whenever it's made wink grin. It appears that your campaign or post impacted positively on everyone involved in the production.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by chogs: 12:53pm On May 01, 2012
Really guys, what's the fuss of Thandi Newton being cast as an igbo girl, to all those who are suggesting Stephnie Okereke, Oge Okoye & the likes, have u sat down to watch their movies, they can't even potray simple emotions that are believable/concincing...

Note: I'm not saying we don't have good actors/actresses here there're are a few but not those ones

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by cheikh: 2:48pm On May 02, 2012
@OP Pls can someone confirm if what I heard about Genny and "Half of A Yellow Sun" film is correct? I don't trust my source grin wink.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Criss(f): 11:21am On May 11, 2012
It's more than just a skin tone/features issue. i couldn't sit through 'tears of the sun" because every time a supposedly igbo person spoke i cringed. The filmakers could not be bothered to authenticate the language much less the accent.
This will be a challenge for Thandi and i do not consider her to be among the really good 'black' actresses. And she will not get the accent right (i'm Igbo so i'll know).

As an Igbo person what i feel about this is akin to what people from the southern states of US felt when they were casting Scalet O'Hara for the classic American tale Gone with the wind. In the end the right choice was made with Vivien Leigh (even though she's Brittish).

I guess my stand is 'Dear God not Her!!!!!' if it is big names that the director is shooting for, go with Zoe Saldana, heck if it's talent go with the same person or any other black actress (perhaps Emily Njoki from the movie "first grader"wink. Newton hasn't delivered a memorable role yet, i forget her as soon as the credits go up, so i'm trying to figure out why it's her.

Of course if the Director has more confidence in his abilities he should come down to Nigeria and cast for this role (at least then they'll be some authenticity to the accent). A better option would have been to go for a strong well known director (non-Nigerian) and use a fresh cast of Nigerians, preferably non Nollywood affiliated, that's what open cast calls are for.

PS: Chiwetel is the big name in the cast anyway not Thandi.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 2:00am On May 12, 2012
Criss: It's more than just a skin tone/features issue. i couldn't sit through 'tears of the sun" because every time a supposedly igbo person spoke i cringed. The filmakers could not be bothered to authenticate the language much less the accent.
This will be a challenge for Thandi and i do not consider her to be among the really good 'black' actresses. And she will not get the accent right (i'm Igbo so i'll know).

As an Igbo person what i feel about this is akin to what people from the southern states of US felt when they were casting Scalet O'Hara for the classic American tale Gone with the wind. In the end the right choice was made with Vivien Leigh (even though she's Brittish).

I guess my stand is 'Dear God not Her!!!!!' if it is big names that the director is shooting for, go with Zoe Saldana, heck if it's talent go with the same person or any other black actress (perhaps Emily Njoki from the movie "first grader"wink. Newton hasn't delivered a memorable role yet, i forget her as soon as the credits go up, so i'm trying to figure out why it's her.

Of course if the Director has more confidence in his abilities he should come down to Nigeria and cast for this role (at least then they'll be some authenticity to the accent). A better option would have been to go for a strong well known director (non-Nigerian) and use a fresh cast of Nigerians, preferably non Nollywood affiliated, that's what open cast calls are for.

PS: Chiwetel is the big name in the cast anyway not Thandi.
Another biased and myopic individual. Your comparison is obviously discriminatory if you can't see Thandi Newton as a good actor(actress to be precise). Home grown person taking a leading role in the epic African rather Nigerian story is not guaranteed. You are deceived to think there are quite good number of individuals back home who can pull of leading role in this coming movie. Sorry to say they will mess up this movie if given the chance - it wouldn't be long before people start commenting here how home-grown bleeped it all up.

Please, steer clear from speculating about the abilities which aren't well developed or aren't there altogether.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by chogs: 9:49am On May 12, 2012
It's wrong to tag Crisss' comment biased & myopic cos there is quite some sense in it, in respect to a foreign actress playing the role, they actually can fumble badly with the accent & that can be really irritating, but then again Jill scott played a role of a Botswanan lady & got it right.

And I'm guessing u didn't read the part where criss said "a fresh cast of nigerians preferably non nollywood affiliated". I've seen a university stage play where I was totally awed at the acts of the play that evening, so by saying ..."You are deceived to think there are quite good number of individuals back home who can pull of leading role in this coming movie"... Then you're guilty of being "Another biased and myopic individual"

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by semid4lyfe(m): 1:34pm On May 12, 2012
all4naija: Another biased and myopic individual. Your comparison is obviously discriminatory if you can't see Thandi Newton as a good actor(actress to be precise).

How is someone opining that Thandie Newton is not a ''really'' good actress discriminatory? How does that make her biased and myopic? Please mention one memorable/standout performance Thandie Newton has had in a movie? Shey na Mission Impossible II?, Crash?, The Pursuit of Hapyness?, 2012?, For Coloured Girls?, Good Deeds? etc [size=14pt]?[/size] At best, she's just an average actress jare. . .

By the way, did you see Tears of the Sun, X-Men Origins: Wolverine? Tell me you didn't feel like breaking your tv/pc screen every time Ibo was spoken in those movies?

If parts of the movie dialogue is going to be in Ibo, the accent, pronunciation and intonation is gonna be off and I'll hate the movie for it

all4naija:
Home grown person taking a leading role in the epic African rather Nigerian story is not guaranteed. You are deceived to think there are quite good number of individuals back home who can pull of leading role in this coming movie. Sorry to say they will mess up this movie if given the chance.

Not advocating for the casting of a ''Nollywood'' actress as the female lead in the movie (cos personally, I think most of them can't act with the exception of Ogo Okoye, Nse Ikpe Etim and very few others) but then again, the director could have gone the Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire route, done thorough auditioning to get a Nigerian of **preferably** Igbo-Extraction based in the US/UK who has been to film school, performed in theatre (not compulsorily) and therefore knows the rudiment of acting. I'm sure there are many of them like that

all4naija:
Please, steer clear from speculating about the abilities which aren't well developed or aren't there altogether.

OPEN CASTING CALLS! Go read up on it. No one knew Freida Pinto (could act) until she auditioned and got the lead role in Slumdog Millionaire. Since then she's gone on to star in major productions like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Immortals and Black Gold.

A diamond will remain buried and wouldn't shine until someone unearths it. Go figure. . . . .

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 10:43am On May 15, 2012
Thandie Newton is a Great Actress..I believe she will give her "character" Justice!Comeon Nairalanders!So what she biracial?she a very good actress!..ok she not igbo but she is very talented..Some individuals here need to build a bridge and get over it!!Seriously im just Happy the movie being brought to Production.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by allycat: 1:46pm On May 15, 2012
How many of us complaining will pay good money to watch the movie. We will wait to download it free from the Internet or buy the pirated copies. The producer is thinking of his paying Market and they would rather pay to watch known names even if they are not A listers and whom they can understand. Do you think that if they had used a Rwandan with a nice thick Rwandan accent to act Hotel Rwanda it would have sold in America
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 11:16am On May 16, 2012
OPEN CASTING CALLS! Go read up on it. No one knew Freida Pinto (could act) until she auditioned and got the lead role in Slumdog Millionaire. Since then she's gone on to star in major productions like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Immortals and Black Gold.

A diamond will remain buried and wouldn't shine until someone unearths it. Go figure. . . . .

Well we HAVE ALL SEEN THE ACTING QUALITIES OF THE NOLLYWOOD wanabes, am sorry I wont touch them with a barge pole unless they all go back to acting school.

Frieda went to an acting school, had cameo amateur roles beofre she got Slum Dog, she didnt play a lead role, she played a supporting role which didnt require much, but is getting professional training or help.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by semid4lyfe(m): 4:01pm On May 16, 2012
omar22:

Well we HAVE ALL SEEN THE ACTING QUALITIES OF THE NOLLYWOOD wanabes, am sorry I wont touch them with a barge pole unless they all go back to acting school.

Frieda went to an acting school, had cameo amateur roles beofre she got Slum Dog, she didnt play a lead role, she played a supporting role which didnt require much, but is getting professional training or help.

Did you miss this part of my post?

semid4lyfe:
Not advocating for the casting of a ''Nollywood'' actress as the female lead in the movie (cos personally, I think most of them can't act with the exception of Ogo Okoye, Nse Ikpe Etim and very few others) but then again, the director could have gone the Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire route, done thorough auditioning to get a Nigerian of **preferably** Igbo-Extraction based in the US/UK who has been to film school, performed in theatre (not compulsorily) and therefore knows the rudiment of acting. I'm sure there are many of them like that

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by abbeyfajimolu: 10:41pm On Jul 24, 2012
I know I'm quite late on this post but I couldn't help it, I had to put my 2cents in smiley
I am actually quite disappointed in all the comments I’ve been reading on this blog. First thing first, Chimamanda has stated that she has nothing to do with the movie so how is she then a “sellout”
Secondly, Thandie Newton is a freaking good actress, she also is half Zimbabwean and British and whether or not she has african roots I don't care. As long as she can fully portray the character and bring it to life then I don’t even think it should be an issue. But for those looking for Nigerian actresses, I guess knowing that she is half African can be some sort of consolation to you all. grin
Thirdly, there are other actors and actresses that are Nigerians in the movie like Genevieve Nnanji, Chiwetel Ejiofor and etc. That should compensate for those interested in only seeing Nigerian actors and actresses in a movie and not much concerned about the plot or the message of the movie as it should be. Side note: Haven’t we seen the skill set of the typical nigerian actors and actresses? Or are we not watching the same movies on africamagic english, one word for the MAJORITY of the movies, CRAP!!!!
My opinion: I am so, so, so anxious for the movie to come out. I loved the book and I am so sure that I would especially love the movie because of the wonderful line up of actors and actresses that would be in it. I just can’t wait for it to come out.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by njeze1: 4:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
Please I dont bliv that it must be played by a Nigerian. Besides Olanna was a light-skinned character. Dats wats wrong wt Nigerians- dey alwaz want it 2 be their own who wins nt the one who merits it. D nearest in Nollywood is Nadia Buari, bt i think she's a bit too plump for the role,so...I have no probs wt Thandie Newton.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by njeze1: 4:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
but genevieve shoulda played the role of kainene tho
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
semid4lyfe:

Did you miss this part of my post?

I can bet you didn't hug transformer that is the reason why you are still alive - pointing to your signature grin grin grin. It might seemed irrelevant to this topic but being sincere with one's argument has a long way to go in this hunt for acting skills in Nigeria for leading roles which aren't there in the first case.

I would buy you a drink any day if you can present me with a single person in Nigeria who can come up with or perform a leading role in a standard American or international movie. Please, let the truth be told. We need to go back to the drawing board and start building schools which care for movies, theater dramas,etc.Not until then we are not going to produce any international leading role actors in the future.

When is the premier of the movie though?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:45am On Oct 31, 2012
Excellent posts semid4lyfe smiley

anyway this situation no longer concerns me as this book is based on Igbo history. If the Igbos are fine with this rubbish, that is their business. cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 5:05am On Oct 31, 2012
^^^ I thought you were gone from here. Come back oh. There is no one to talk movies with sad
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tlops(m): 5:42pm On Oct 31, 2012
is the movie released yet?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:19am On Nov 01, 2012
vescucci: ^^^ I thought you were gone from here. Come back oh. There is no one to talk movies with sad

where's Sisi and that one that worships Satan..ogugua or whatever
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 12:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

where's Sisi and that one that worships Satan..ogugua or whatever

Lol. I'm pretty sure Ogaga has obtained a life or two for the price of one from someplace since he mostly posts in this section. As for Sisi, I'm sure she's somewhere confusing old men with sarcasm. But you know I don't venture out of my safety zones. It's a jungle out there
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by semid4lyfe(m): 9:02am On Nov 02, 2012
ThiefOfHearts: Excellent posts semid4lyfe smiley

anyway this situation no longer concerns me as this book is based on Igbo history. If the Igbos are fine with this rubbish, that is their business. cheesy

I read the book after all the film adaptation hullabaloo and personally, I think the book is over-rated.

I'm not eagerly looking forward to the movie, it's just another movie I'll download and watch when the DvDrip or BRRip is available online cheesy

all4naija: I can bet you didn't hug transformer that is the reason why you are still alive - pointing to your signature grin grin grin.

It might seemed irrelevant to this topic but being sincere with one's argument has a long way to go in this hunt for acting skills in Nigeria for leading roles which aren't there in the first case.

I would buy you a drink any day if you can present me with a single person in Nigeria who can come up with or perform a leading role in a standard American or international movie. Please, let the truth be told. We need to go back to the drawing board and start building schools which care for movies, theater dramas,etc.Not until then we are not going to produce any international leading role actors in the future.

When is the premier of the movie though?

Lol @ the hug transformer part. Again, I'm not holding brief for the Nollywood actors/actresses. I'm sure the director could have gotten a US/UK based Nigerian of **preferably** Igbo descent who had studied acting in the US/UK for the lead female role if he had wanted to.

Refer to that thread of Hollywood Actors/Actresses of Nigerian descent.

I heard the movie is due for release 2013.

Oya, make una die the matter tongue
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 4:09pm On Nov 02, 2012
But na you resurrect am oh

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by TempleChinedum(m): 2:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
ThiefOfHearts: Like I said Nigerians are reetarded

He's directing ba film based on Nigerian history and what came to his mind is to cast a non-Nigerian?
In Film making the Director or Cast Director has a final say when it comes to casting and been that 96% of that film crew was Hollywood it happened like that, check the cast of the film and confirm.
Again casting a Nigerian cos the story is about Nigeria isn't Professional when it comes to film making.
I was at the SETS of that film and I bet you...you will find that film making more waves than the media hype during the shoot!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 26, 2013
The cowardice of posts is most appalling than the title the OP chose thread. How is the movie like?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees / For All WWE Wrestling Fans(the Nigerian WWE Universe) / Big Brother Naija Eviction Night: Coco ice is sent packing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.