Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,511 members, 7,840,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? - Family (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (45292 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 12, 2012
c.fours:

I personally will have no qualms cooking for my husband everyday as long as he makes a very very decent income and I am a full time housewife.
In fact, I won't mind cooking the most fanciful meals everyday.
get rich and marry a wife to stay at home. then your fantasy may come true. you hear?

otherwise, you may find yourself eating processed iyan and left over stew 4 times a week. women are not machines to work equal hours as men and still have to come home to work 2nd unpaid job.

Did you even read the thread?  undecided Pointless. I do my own cooking. Dont need a wife for that.

Let me get this straight, cooking for your own children is dependent on your husband's ability to make a decent income to make you sit home all day doing nothing? so somehow cooking has become equivalent to 50-60hrs a week in hard labor to buy you the latest gucci shoes?
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 7:26pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:

actually i know some women who see nothing to household chores and even prefer to do it alone with no help from their husbands. The fact that you cant see yourself doing that does not make it wrong. We are all guilty of extrapolating our own ideas to someone else's lives.

I also know some women who believe its fine for thier husbands to cheat, the reason few women will claim such nonsense being the same for both. Accepting the burden and learning to live with it. Thats what definitely doesnt make it right.

davidylan:

that's outright nonsense. I know women who GENUINELY love to cook and could literarily do it all day, all week. Its nothing to do with "culture". I know nigerian women who can barely cook an egg and american women who would rather sleep in the oven. Lets be objective here.
Thats a possibility thats not reserved for any gender? To now claim we collectively love to cook being the reason most women carry this burden is absurd. It's down to having a culture of illiteracy carried down to this day. There is absolutely no reason a woman should lone carry out all the domestic duties, yet it still continues and it continues at the demand of most of the men!
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 12, 2012
queensmith:

I also know some women who believe its fine for thier husbands to cheat, the reason few women will claim such nonsense being the same for both. Accepting the burden and learning to live with it. Thats what definitely doesnt make it right.

we really shld be comparing apples to apples here. I dont think believing that a woman shld be the primary home-maker is equivalent to believing it is ok for men to cheat.

queensmith:

Thats a possibility thats not reserved for any gender? To now claim we collectively love to cook being the reason most women carry this burden is absurd. [b]It's down to having a culture of illiteracy carried down to this day. [/b]There is absolutely no reason a woman should lone carry out all the domestic duties, yet it still continues and it continues at the demand of most of the men!

Oh please not again. I mean seriously? Its almost a given in VIRTUALLY all cultures the world over that women are seen as more involved in the domestic issues around the home. Does that mean the entire world has a culture of illiteracy? There is no reason a woman shld carry out all domestic duties correct but that is DOWN to individual marriages and not cultures. Each couple chooses how best they want their home to run.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:37pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:

asking that your woman cooks for you everyday is now classed as "unrealistic demands"? Does a man take a break from working to pay the bills? It is no wonder so many with their fancy ideas are still single. Thankfully the decision to marry is not by force.

Dude stop barking at me. As soon as I saw your s/n in this thread, I knew this thread would go to hell. YES I think 2 working people having to make FRESH food everyday is bloody unrealistic esp if the job hours are long and I think your FAKE story of your "friend" and his imaginary wife is a bloody LIE. I said it, now what? what are you gonna do about it? "Does a man take a break from working", uh what village do you live where the women isnt also working? You'd be hardpressed to find a family these days that can survive on ONE income so please go and sit down with your obnoxious comparisons

It's no wonder that those ie YOU yarning BS and barking about evil women are still single and continue trolling the internet looking for fights with women.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 12, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Dude stop barking at me. As soon as I saw your s/n in this thread, I knew this thread would go to hell. YES I think 2 working people having to make FRESH food everyday is bloody unrealistic esp if the job hours are long and I think your FAKE story of your "friend" and his imaginary wife is a bloody LIE. I said it, now what? what are you gonna do about it? "Does a man take a break from working", uh what village do you live where the women isnt also working? You'd be hardpressed to find a family these days that can survive on ONE income so please go and sit down with your obnoxious comparisons

It's no wonder that those ie YOU yarning BS and barking about evil women are still single and continue trolling the internet looking for fights with women.

huh? You ok?
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:41pm On Feb 12, 2012
Just ignore my name. Im not spikecylinder.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 12, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Just ignore my name. Im not spikecylinder.

With all pleasure.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by chika98: 7:53pm On Feb 12, 2012
Buhahahahahahahaaaa grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 7:53pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:
we really shld be comparing apples to apples here. I dont think believing that a woman shld be the primary home-maker is equivalent to believing it is ok for men to cheat.
Oh please not again. I mean seriously? Its almost a given in VIRTUALLY all cultures the world over that women are seen as more involved in the domestic issues around the home. Does that mean the entire world has a culture of illiteracy? There is no reason a woman shld carry out all domestic duties correct but that is DOWN to individual marriages and not cultures. Each couple chooses how best they want their home to run.
Then we agree to disagree- I cannot see a sensible argument to why a woman will claim such nonsense.  Either way it’s not justified for men to cheat and equally unreasonable for a man not to contribute equally to the chores around the home. Nobody has genetically advanced capabilities of washing dishes or cleaning toilets. lol
No not virtually all cultures around the world that is far from the truth, western cultures are not so? British women do not work full time only to rush home and cook dinner like an obedient animal. Neither do Caribbean’s and they are black (well most of them are)!! as a matter of fact, jamaican men tend to cook more than the woman do (from what I’ve observed) meaning a man will go to work, come back home and cook for his family. Now how many Nigerians do that?
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Feb 12, 2012
queensmith:

Then we agree to disagree- I cannot see a sensible argument to why a woman will claim such nonsense.  Either way it’s not justified for men to cheat and equally unreasonable for a man not to contribute equally to the chores around the home. Nobody has genetically advanced capabilities of washing dishes or cleaning toilets. lol

Agreed on the above. Like i said, it depends from family to family . . . each works out what is best for them. If the wife feels she is genetically better equipped to clean the dishes and her husband agrees then allow them. It has nothing to do with cultural illiteracy.

queensmith:

No not virtually all cultures around the world that is far from the truth, western cultures are not so? British women do not work full time only to rush home and cook dinner like an obedient animal.

Oh please, not this fact-free worshiping of western culture again. Many many western women do much worse than even nigerian women would. I see girls here who wait on their men hand and foot . . . it all depends on the individual. to each his own.

queensmith:

Neither do Caribbean’s and they are black (well most of them are)!! as a matter of fact, jamaican men tend to cook more than the woman do (from what I’ve observed) meaning a man will go to work, come back home and cook for his family. Now how many Nigerians do that?

this stat is based on what sample size?
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 8:19pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^ it has everything to do with cultural illiteracy? Educated cultures allow females to be empowered, letting them know they have choices beyond having too many children and cleaning the kitchen? These are cultures which don't see women having to cook everyday. This isn't the only issue i stress, i just use the cooking as an example.

nobody is genetically better equipped I was being sarcastic!

here we go david, taking things personal again, tis not the 'western way' to wait on a man hand and foot, we are speaking of cultural characteristics. Not of the odd mad women you know with their nuiscance habits.

Carribean men cook, i can say I know as many carribean men that cook for their families as I know Nigerian women that slave in the kitchen for their husbands. and im not glorifying them here I'm emphasizing the fact that our culture is a backwards one.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by harakiri(m): 9:53pm On Feb 12, 2012
queensmith:

^^ it has everything to do with cultural illiteracy? Educated cultures allow females to be empowered, letting them know they have choices beyond having too many children and cleaning the kitchen? These are cultures which don't see women having to cook everyday. This isn't the only issue i stress, i just use the cooking as an example.

nobody is genetically better equipped I was being sarcastic!

here we go david, taking things personal again, tis not the 'western way' to wait on a man hand and foot, we are speaking of cultural characteristics. Not of the odd mad women you know with their nuiscance habits.

Carribean men cook, i can say I know as many carribean men that cook for their families as I know Nigerian women that slave in the kitchen for their husbands. and im not glorifying them here I'm emphasizing the fact that our culture is a backwards one.

Errrr. . .I'm struggling to understand this pattern of thought. A Carribean guy cooks for his family and it's OKAY but when a Nigerian lady does the same it's "enslaving" herself in the kitchen. Good heavens! ! !

***[s]No wonder more and more men dread living under the same room with neurotic women of today's day and age[/s]***

You know. . .I cook and not just "cook", i'm pretty good at it. It's a hobby (going to the market,haggling and all that). I once had a girlfriend who got really "insecure" with me when i insisted on cooking for us after FOUR YEARS of dating. So it's like this. . .A guy cooks : PROBLEM! A guy refuses to cook : BIGGER PROBLEMS!

***[s]I really hope NEVER to have girls as kids[/s]***
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 10:17pm On Feb 12, 2012
I think married couples should know where their strengths lie and help eachother out. If the women enjoy cooking for their hubbys' everyday without help, by all means let them do, if she does not or cannot cook everyday then there should be mutual understanding between the couple, Even if i want to personally cook everyday with my job and family needs, am sure the third day, they will be rushing me to the hospital, only because i do not have the strength and body for that type of stress. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 10:28pm On Feb 12, 2012
@Harakiri- being able to cook isn't a special trait. Its nothing to announce or be proud of. Its like someone announcing they can brush thier own teeth, and so? And this is the problem, if we didnt have such a nuiscance culture the little that cook won't feel the need to boast about it.

2ndly david was asking whether my observation is a case study, please go an re read the post i dont want to be explaining things all night. Carribean men do cook, i was pointing out that fact. They arent like your typical nigerian men when it comes to looking after your family. They cook they clean they braid thier childs hair, their culture is different to ours long story short. The women are not enslaved in the kitchen
. The men help at home the women also work its 50/50.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 10:34pm On Feb 12, 2012
ronkebp:

I think married couples should know where their strengths lie and help eachother out. If the women enjoy cooking for their hubbys' everyday without help, by all means let them do, if she does not or cannot cook everyday then there should be mutual understanding between the couple, Even if i want to personally cook everyday with my job and family needs, am sure the third day, they will be rushing me to the hospital, only because i do not have the strength and body for that type of stress. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

God bless you. I believe this is what alot of women need to admit before claiming superwoman all the time. there is no glory to being enslaved in a marriage. I have personally watched women wear themselves out every blessed day all in the name of being married to a nigerian man? In ldn its not even a joke ,the woman will work look after the child pay extortionate amounts for childcare, cook for her husband clean the home and God forbid she forgets to do her hair nails and toes so her husbands eyes does not wander, love cannot be that strong! Lmao
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by harakiri(m): 10:34pm On Feb 12, 2012
queensmith:

@Harakiri- being able to cook isn't a special trait. Its nothing to announce or be proud of. Its like someone announcing they can brush thier own teeth, and so? And this is the problem, if we didnt have such a nuiscance culture the little that cook won't feel the need to boast about it.

2ndly david was asking whether my observation is a case study, please go an re read the post i dont want to be explaining things all night. Carribean men do cook, i was pointing out that fact. They arent like your typical nigerian men when it comes to looking after your family. They cook they clean they braid thier childs hair, their culture is different to ours long story short. The women are not enslaved in the kitchen
. The men help at home the women also work its 50/50.

Can you see your crayfish brain? So cooking isn't a "special trait" or "big deal" anymore (when it suits you) but when it's a lady doing it, it's slavery. How you women "reason" (if you even think at all) remains a mystery.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 10:36pm On Feb 12, 2012
*rolls eyes* i see your just looking to throw words about and im not in the mood. Come back tommorow i may have a respnse,
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:58pm On Feb 12, 2012
harakiri:

Can you see your crayfish brain? So cooking isn't a "special trait" or "big deal" anymore (when it suits you) but when it's a lady doing it, it's slavery. How you women "reason" (if you even think at all) remains a mystery.

are the insults necessary?

slavery involves forcing someone to do something. How hard is that to comprehend?

getting all hyper and nasty for no reason.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by harakiri(m): 11:09pm On Feb 12, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

are the insults necessary?

slavery involves forcing someone to do something. How hard is that to comprehend?

getting all hyper and nasty for no reason.

EXACTLY! ! !

***[s]Now you've shot yourself in the foot[/s]***

How many women do you know that are "forced" to cook for their husbands? Was your mother forced to cook for your dad? Do your friends' husbands threaten them to cook for them? This is the same reetarded feminazi mentality i keep talking about. The poster i referred to clearly depicts African women who cook for their men as SLAVES and i consider that demeaning and abhorrent. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find it funny if your husband never gave a damn if you cooked or not (especially if you can actually cook) but rather he prefers to eat anywhere he finds himself. So it's back to that same feminazi brainwashed mentality . . .

A guy doesn't bother if his wife cooks or not : PROBLEM (he doesn't care about her)
A guy eats what his wife cooks : PROBLEM (he is a slave driver who wants to kill his wife with chores)

Utterly pathetic! ! !
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by moremi2008(m): 11:19pm On Feb 12, 2012
TV01 (sp?) made a point much earlier in the thread that stuck to me: some women are just un-marriageable. It's a sad fact. If you can't cook for your husband, then don't cook! In fact, don't bother getting married. Just stay single and order Chinese everyday or find yourself a man that'll eat Chinese dinner with you every night! No harm in that! You can't eat your cake and have it to! You can't desire a successful Nigerian man from a good home and then insist on living the life of a white woman at the same time. Most Nigerian cultures expect men to be breadwinners and the women to be in charge of the home! Yes, it is cultural and if you think my culture is illiterate, then don't marry me! If you're looking for a husband that will wash your undies and cook you dinner, then go marry a Jamaican taxi driver or a white male masseuse! In fact, you can become the breadwinner and let your husband cook you meals, clean the home and take care of the babies.

I am a very good cook but none of my ex-girlfriends know this. Why? I don't want to marry a woman with the wrong set of expectations. That I am a good cook doesn't mean I intend to cook for the family. If I do decide to cook, it'll be a romantic gesture (probably only a few times a year). Even then, I will only cook for a woman I am married to; never when we're merely dating. My mum is a successful businesswoman and she loves to cook. Both my sisters are superbly educated and have fantastic careers but are great cooks because my mum not only taught them how to cook, she also sent them to catering schools in Nigeria to learn how to cook "oyinbo" food before they both moved to the US.

So why would one poorly-trained, rubbish woman come and do shakara for me, the first child and first son of a clan full of excellent cooks?! Dem no born am well!!! If I marry you, then you will be doing the cooking, period! That's a wife's duty and if you're too cool to cook, then go marry a goat!  grin  Of course, I am not demanding fresh pot of soup everyday. All I want is some good food in the fridge when I get back from my daily hustle. I don't care what job my wife does (she can even be the president of the universe) but I will expect her to cook for me and the children. It's totally fine with me if she doesn't want to do household chores (heck, we'll probably hire pro cleaners to come handle that) but cooking is absolutely and totally non-negotiable with me (and with most Nigerian men I know).
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 11:23pm On Feb 12, 2012
you can be a slave to your culture- my words are not as demeaning as the expectations our culture still places on it's women.
Since your not a woman you probably don't understand where I'm coming from and with that you don't need to contribute. No woman wants to be a slave to anything, nobody is proud of an unhelpful husband.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:49pm On Feb 12, 2012
queensmith:

you can be a slave to your culture- my words are not as demeaning as the expectations our culture still places on it's women.
Since your not a woman you probably don't understand where I'm coming from and with that you don't need to contribute. No woman wants to be a slave to anything, nobody is proud of an unhelpful husband.

Pretty much.

and why are people writing epistles. do you really think Im gonna read any of that? It's not that serious abeg
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by dayokanu(m): 11:59pm On Feb 12, 2012
Just buy an Apron for your husband since cooking is too hard a task

Those men must have been starving to death while they were single. Thank God who sent the saviours who saved them from imminent death from Hunger
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by moremi2008(m): 12:06am On Feb 13, 2012
dayokanu:

Just buy an Apron for your husband since cooking is too hard a task

Those men must have been starving to death while they were single. Thank God who sent the saviours who saved them from imminent death from Hunger

Have you noticed that it is the same bitter girls coming on here to protest wives cooking for their husbands and children? Have you also noticed that these bitter girls are old maids? They are old maids for a reason! Who wants to marry a useless woman that can't cook? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 12:31am On Feb 13, 2012
Some of you guys really need to go find yourselves oyinbo wives. na sandwich and hamburger helper you go eat tire.

moremi2008:

Have you noticed that it is the same bitter girls coming on here to protest wives cooking for their husbands and children? Have you also noticed that these bitter girls are old maids? They are old maids for a reason! Who wants to marry a useless woman that can't cook?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Shut up.
nothing wrong with a wife cooking and cleaning after her husband and children everyday as long as she is a full time housewife or has a househelp.
but we all know that is not the situation abroad. women work and earn just as much as the men so something has to give.
unless u go for an illiterate girl in the village of course. and even then, eventually, her eyes will open.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:33am On Feb 13, 2012
Dunmomi was right. You have serious issues undecided

c.fours:

unless u go for an illiterate girl in the village of course. and even then, eventually, her eyes will open.

and then they kill them.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 12:47am On Feb 13, 2012
^ na wa o

My mum is a successful businesswoman and she loves to cook.

yeah. businesswoman aka former housewife.
plenty women like that in naija whose husband open shop for them after the kids are grown.
nothing wrong with that.

but for a guy who wants "preferably a lawyer, engineer, doctor or accountant"
be ready to do share in the housework, childcare and/or cooking duties.
otherwise, I truly have no words for you other than hire a maid or prepare for divorce.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 1:01am On Feb 13, 2012
Omg!!!! TOH!!! HILARIOUS!
ThiefOfHearts:

and then they kill them.
lmao
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 1:36am On Feb 13, 2012
ronkebp:

You can tell the married ones from the miserable old spinsters here. thank you ma for this succinct point.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 1:48am On Feb 13, 2012
davidylan:

You can tell the married ones from the miserable old spinsters here. thank you ma for this succinct point.

\says the miserable old bachelor.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:56am On Feb 13, 2012
LOL c.fours, why are you feeding the troll?
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 1:57am On Feb 13, 2012
^ lol my mistake grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (36) (Reply)

Wife Saves Husband From Suicide By Holding Onto His Boxers / Amazing Transformation Of A Lady Born Bow-Legged / Ese Oruru's Parents House In Yenagoa, Bayelsa (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.