Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,643 members, 7,820,251 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (42286 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 8:17am On Feb 12, 2012
@ amor4ce

Did the apostles ever stop giving first fruits and tithes while they were still walking on the face of the earth,

YOU SAID APOSTLES TITHED? WHERE DID YOU EVER SEE THAT?

SUPPORT YOUR CLAIM WITH ONE BIBLE VERSE TO SHOW APOSTLES ''giving first fruits and tithes '' AND IF NOT JUST KEEP QUIET AS ACCEPT YOU ARE WRONG OR DONT KNOW.SIMPLE
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PA1982(f): 9:22am On Feb 12, 2012
garyarnold:

@newmi said, "Don't you think those who teach tithing and practice tithing do it because they believe it and are convinced of it."

I am pretty sure those who practice what they believe to be tithing do it because they believe they are doing what the Word teaches.

I am not convinced that those who teach tithing believe what they teach. Being a Money & Finance Minister, I have had meeting with many pastors. One admitted to me that he knows tithing ended at the cross, but he said he must teach it the way he does in order to bring in enough money to run the church. Two others listened to my arguments, then did their own research and came to the conclusion that tithing ended at the cross, but both of them continued teaching tithing, but both stopped using the robbing God threat.

I am aware of other pastors who have privately admitted they know that tithing ended at the cross, but they also say if they don't teach it, they won't bring in enough money to keep the church going.

Based on just my own experience, I draw the conclusion there are many pastors who are dishonest.

This has been a fascinating thread to follow and learn from.
Thanks to all who have contributed thought and research to it.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 1:44pm On Feb 12, 2012
[b]@garyarnold,

Those following this blog should notice that the tithers either can't or won't DEFINE Christian tithing. Of course if they do, it would have to be a definition made up by man.

Some want to say you tithe on "increase." Well, if that is true, if during the year your house increases in value, do you tithe on that increase? How about if your family increases in size? Suppose you add on a room to your house increasing it's size? How about the increase in value of stock owned?

If you are going to tithe on "increase" do you reduce the increase by any decreases during the year?

If you say Christians should tithe on their income, is it gross income, net income, or some other type of adjusted income?

OR, do you say it is up to each individual to decide how to tithe, in which case I can reach in my pocket, find ten pennies, and if I give one, I have given a tenth of what I had; therefore, I tithed?

God was clear in His tithing definition and instructions. Man is wishywashy in his defining of tithing. Pastors don't even agree. Some say gross income while others say net income. Some say you tithe on your tax refund while others say you have already tithed on it. Some include gifts and inheritances and some don't. Some are so deceiving they actually ask, "Do you want a gross blessing or a net blessing?"

IS GOD THE AUTHOR OF CONFUSION? If God wanted us to tithe today, don't you think He would have made the instructions clear? WHY all the confusion IF tithing is required, expected, or even recommended today?

THATS THE SUMMARY (in blue) ALSO YOU FORGOT TO ADD THEIR FREQUENT FRUSTRATING REMARKS IN QUOTES; ''you are getting confused'' ''please give rest to yourself. ''Our discussion on tithe has ended per my previous post to you''.

THEY REACT AFTER THEY HEAR YOU HITTING THE POINT AND EXPOSING THEM.EASY,EASY PLS. [/b]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 2:16pm On Feb 12, 2012
@PA1982

This has been a fascinating thread to follow and learn from.
Thanks to all who have contributed thought and research to it.

DOES IT REALLY NOT REALLY WORTH THE EFFORT? AFTER A VERY LONG POSTINGS WE NOW REALISE THAT THE TITHE ADVOCATES HAVE NO DEFINATION AT ALL OR DO NOT AGREE SWITCHING POST TO PRE-LAW OR STILL FOLLOW THE OUTDATED ONE THAT ENDED WITH LAW.

AT LEAST PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH, EVEN THOUGH THEY CHOOSE HOW THEY WORSHIP,LET THEM AKNOWLEDGE THE TRUTH,SIMPLE.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 3:51pm On Feb 12, 2012
With all the expose being written on the tithing scam on NL alone, it is just a matter of time that modern day tithing would be exposed to the whole world for the fraud it is. With the way tithing advocates are grasping at straws and evading simple questions on the definition of tithes, I am sure it is clear to them that what they are preaching/practising which they label tithing has no sound biblical base and it's at best a fraudulent manipulation of scripture.

What gladdens my heart is that this is a public forum and our debates is being read by thousands world wide. I am certain this debate would provoke true believers to search the scriptures further on this topic of tithes. At the end of the day thousands more would be set free from this evil yoke labelled as tithes. God bless you all. Special kudos to Goshen360, Benimore, Garyarnold and all other brethen that have decided to stand for the truth and expose this deep seated corruption in the church.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Snowwy: 4:10pm On Feb 12, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

@garyarnold,

THATS THE SUMMARY (in blue) ALSO YOU FORGOT TO ADD THEIR FREQUENT FRUSTRATING REMARKS IN QUOTES; ''you are getting confused'' ''please give rest to yourself. ''Our discussion on tithe has ended per my previous post to you''.
THEY REACT AFTER THEY HEAR YOU HITTING THE POINT AND EXPOSING THEM.EASY,EASY PLS.

@Bernimoore, I apologise since my remarks have been frustrating you.
You have your convictions and I have mine. I can back up mine with the bible, even if you disagree, so let everyone be persuaded based on the word.

@Finance Minister garyarnold, you have your defence in the Word, I have mine. To each his own.
Probably, we'll have cause to discuss again in other christian matters.
God bless all.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 7:59pm On Feb 12, 2012
Something I'd like tithers to consider:

Every church I have attended teaches tithing. All of them. It wasn't until a few years ago when my pastor asked me to teach a Sunday School Class in finances that I began my study of tithing. I was shocked to find that everything I had been taught about tithing was wrong. It bothered me much, and I set up a meeting with my pastor. My pastor listened to my arguments against tithing, then said he believed tithing was proper, but he agreed to do his own research. A few weeks later, he stopped teaching robbing God, then gradually stopped teaching tithing BUT would not let go of the term tithing. He started teaching free-will giving, but calling it tithing. He didn't want his congregation to know his teaching had been wrong.

But most important, consider that before 1870 there would have been no debate as we are having. No Christian Church had ever taught anyone to tithe on their income prior to 1870 because everyone already knew that tithing was only on crops and animals and not money, and not on anyone's income.

A study of the history of tithing can be disappointing when you find the truth behind current teachings. Just one example: the Seventh-day Adventist leaders were trying to come up with a method to finance their denomination. They AGREED that tithing had ended at the cross. Later on, meeting again, they decided to use the Old Testament Levitical tithe as a MODEL. They first came up with ONLY those who owned property would tithe, and it would be 1% of the value of the property, per year. Later on, they took the Levitical tithe MODEL and changed it to fit the needs of the SDA church; they changed the crops and animals to income, and changed taking the tithe to the Levites to take it to the church. They determined it would increase contributions by more than two times. They voted and it passed. The leaders then said it was necessary to convince the membership to accept THEIR tithing method AS THOUGH it were God's plan for the church. This is all documented on the Estate of Ellen White's website. That is how tithing started in the SDA Church. Now they teach you are robbing God if you don't tithe. See how messages changes over the years?

The Baptist Church was looking for ways to fund a few missions and decided to start teaching tithing on income in the late 1800s.

Anyone who sincerely wants to know the truth needs to do the research. Unfortunately, church goers tend to believe everything their denomination and/or pastor teaches. And, unfortunately, I have found from my own experience that I cannot believe what a pastor says any more than I can believe a used car salesman.

We all have our beliefs. But anyone who really wants to do the right thing, and is serious about following God's Word, needs to challenge their own beliefs against the scriptures, without prejudice. People tend to read the scriptures in a way to match their own beliefs rather than use an open mind and start learning the topic all over again, FROM THE SCRIPTURES, and not from someone else's book or sermon.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by mabell: 8:58pm On Feb 12, 2012
garyarnold:

Every church I have attended teaches tithing. All of them. It wasn't until a few years ago when my pastor asked me to teach a Sunday School Class in finances that I began my study of tithing.

When pastors teach tithing, they don't do it to steal money or rob people rather they do it with all sincerity of heart.
Now, from your findings, you also believed in tithing and was doing it with a sincere heart, so what makes you think that those who teach and do tithing are not being sincere as well, what makes you think they want to purposely rob God or should we assume you are not being sincere as well?

garyarnold:

I was shocked to find that everything I had been taught about tithing was wrong. It bothered me much, and I set up a meeting with my pastor. My pastor listened to my arguments against tithing, then said he believed tithing was proper, but he agreed to do his own research. A few weeks later, he stopped teaching robbing God, then gradually stopped teaching tithing BUT would not let go of the term tithing. He started teaching free-will giving, but calling it tithing. He didn't want his congregation to know his teaching had been wrong.

You sound like your pastor did not teach you what he did on tithing on purpose
Different ministers can teach differently depending on their revelation and probably for different purposes
but that does not mean they are all alike
some teach with sincerity of hearts based on what they know
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 9:26pm On Feb 12, 2012
@mabell said, "Now, from your findings, you also believed in tithing and was doing it with a sincere heart, so what makes you think that those who teach and do tithing are not being sincere as well, what makes you think they want to purposely rob God or should we assume you are not being sincere as well?"

Never in my life have I tithed. I always felt that something was wrong with the teaching, but I didn't realize the teaching was entirely wrong. I had a couple friends that told me tithing ended at the cross, and other friends telling me tithing did not end at the cross. I just never took the time to really study the topic until a few years ago. Even so, I was always a generous giver.

My circumstances: I didn't become a Christian until my late forties, so when I started studying the scripture, I was able to do it with an open mind. I hadn't grown up in church where I may have been brainwashed into believing lies.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by amor4ce(m): 10:00pm On Feb 12, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

@ amor4ce

YOU SAID APOSTLES TITHED? WHERE DID YOU EVER SEE THAT?

SUPPORT YOUR CLAIM WITH ONE BIBLE VERSE TO SHOW APOSTLES ''giving first fruits and tithes '' AND IF NOT JUST KEEP QUIET AS ACCEPT YOU ARE WRONG OR DONT KNOW.SIMPLE

Can this remark of yours be associated with the will of the Father? Did the Messiah ever speak to His people thus? The apostles were born as children of Israel and they grew up with the Levites and the Temple in their midst. Can you therefore say with all confidence that they, except perhaps Matthew, never in their lives paid tithes? You know that such would amount to disregarding God's commandments. Where do you think the New Yam Festivals and the likes originated?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 10:26pm On Feb 12, 2012
Snowwy:

@Bernimoore, I apologise since my remarks have been frustrating you.
You have your convictions and I have mine. I can back up mine with the bible, even if you disagree, so let everyone be persuaded based on the word.

@Finance Minister garyarnold, you have your defence in the Word, I have mine. To each his own.
Probably, we'll have cause to discuss again in other christian matters.
God bless all.

My brother, It's all about biblical truth and not your own interpretation of the bible. The fact that certain things are recorded doesn't make them a practice for us in this christian age that we live in today. If your words highlighted are true, then celestial church people will be right by taking people to bath in the river or beach and people selling snake or breakthrough oil and mantle will also be right. So my brother, its about sound biblical teachings/doctrines.

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear". 2 tim. 4:3 (NIV)
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by tpia5: 10:32pm On Feb 12, 2012
I think i've commented hundreds of times on this tithe thing.

As far as i know, nobody is being forced to give.

As long as your church is not threatening you with hellfire for not giving tithe (or even if it is)- you are free to spend YOUR MONEY as you wish.

This constant whining is very annoying and aggravating and personally, if i were a pastor (THANK GOD I'M NOT), I  would personally pray to God to shut the mouths of these irritants who are always going on and on about why people should not pay tithes.

If you christians (so called) refuse to pay your tithe when it is needed (how many pastors have jets or are living large for goodness sake), then its my belief that God can use even a muslim, an atheist or any other stark unbeliever to provide funds for his work.

An 80 year old woman just died in CA recently and she left her house to homeless people. She also specified in her will that if the gift goes against city regulations, then the city is free to sell the building and use the proceeds to fund housing for the homeless.

Just showing you its not everything you can understand or predict in this life.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 10:38pm On Feb 12, 2012
tpia@:

This constant whining is very annoying and aggravating and personally, if i were a pastor (THANK GOD I'M NOT), I would personally pray to God to shut the mouths of these irritants who are always going on and on about why people should not pay tithes.

If you chrsitians (so called) refuse to pay your tithe when it is needed (how may pastors have jets or are living large for goodness sake), then its my belief that God can use even a muslim, an atheist or any other stark unbeliever to provide funds for his work.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? I MEAN, SERIOUSLY !
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by tpia5: 10:38pm On Feb 12, 2012
edit.

If a church is having financial difficulties which are a direct result of the members refusing to pay tithe for whatever reason then imo the pastor and church leadership should consider this a wakeup call- either they need to pray for financial empowerment for the members, pray for healing for the church in case the problem is caused by strife, witchcraft or generational curses, or consider the fact that maybe God wants the ministry to mvoe in a different direction.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 10:41pm On Feb 12, 2012
tpia@:

And use the proceeds to fund housing for the homeless.

Just showing you its not everything you can understand or predict in this life.

If a church is having financial difficulties which aree a direct result of the members refusing to pay tithe for whatever reason then imo the pastor and church leadership should consider this a wakeup call- either they need to pray for financial empowerment for the members, pray for healing for the church in case the problem is caused by strife, witchcraft or generational curses, or consider the fact that maybe God wants the ministry to mvoe in a different direction.

TEACH GOD'S PEOPLE TO LOVE GOD AS A LIFESTYLE AND THEY WILL LOVE TO GIVE TO GOD'S WORK. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO LOVE GOD WITHOUT GIVING.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 12, 2012
[size=13pt]Jesus gave us an eye witness account of what was put in the offerring bag, if tithe is money then Jesus would have mentioned it too.
Mark 12:41
41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts.
[/size]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 10:49pm On Feb 12, 2012
MrBible:

[size=13pt]Jesus gave us an eye witness account of what was put in the offerring bag, if tithe is money then Jesus would have mentioned it too.
Mark 12:41
41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts.
[/size]

Hey, some people will use the highlighted to justify pastors looking at money people give in the church o. I have seen this many times and this is the scripture verse they always quote.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 12:40am On Feb 13, 2012
[b]@tpia,

the discussion here is very peacefull,and if anybody is reffered to as whinning here,its you,infact you just came on board here defying every order or cortesy, and jump on making conclusive comments without aknowledging rules and regulations,insults people which is never a trait of christians,is so unfortunate.But the news i have for you is that people on this page are wiser than you,take your comments without seriousness and get focused on the subject matter.

JUST HEAR YOURSELF;(in blue)

As long as your church is not threatening you with hellfire for not giving tithe (or even if it is)- you are free to spend YOUR MONEY as you wish.

This constant whining is very annoying and aggravating and personally, if i were a pastor (THANK GOD I'M NOT), I would personally pray to God to shut the mouths of these irritants who are always going on and on about why people should not pay tithes.

If you chrsitians (so called) refuse to pay your tithe when it is needed (how may pastors have jets or are living large for goodness sake), then its my belief that God can use even a muslim, an atheist or any other stark unbeliever to provide funds for his work.

UNHOLY FUNDS FOR YOUR LAZINESS? EVEN FROM ANY SOURCE BECAUSE ITS FREE MONEY?, YOU ARE THE GREATEST JOKER ON NL.[/b]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 12:53am On Feb 13, 2012
@ Mr bible,

WHO DID JESUS GAVE KUDOS AS THE BEST DONATOR, THE RICH OR THE POOR?,REMEMBER, ITS ON VOLUNTARY GIVING, NOT BASED ON TITHE OR COMPULSION OR NECCESITY.

Mark 12:41-44

41 Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. 42 Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites,[a] which make a quadrans. 43 So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”

JESUS NEVER ASK FOR TITHING,DID YOU KNOW THAT? SHOW ME JUST ONE BIBLE VERSE THAT HE DIRECTED HIS DISCIPLES OR CHRISTIANS TO TITHE.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 1:12am On Feb 13, 2012
@ BERNIMOORE,

Dont mind tpia, that's his way. He did same thing on one of my post where I exposed falsehood of "touch not my anointed" being used out of context.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 1:13am On Feb 13, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

@ Mr bible,

WHO DID JESUS GAVE KUDOS AS THE BEST DONATOR, THE RICH OR THE POOR?,REMEMBER, ITS ON VOLUNTARY GIVING, NOT BASED ON TITHE OR COMPULSION OR NECCESITY.

JESUS NEVER ASK FOR TITHING,DID YOU KNOW THAT? SHOW ME JUST ONE BIBLE VERSE THAT HE DIRECTED HIS DISCIPLES OR CHRISTIANS TO TITHE.

[size=13pt]This is the point I was trying to make also, which is that Jesus did not say people were putting their tithes and offering in the temple's treasury. Instead of churches to collect only offering today they are collect tithes and offering in the church's money bag.[/size]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 1:14am On Feb 13, 2012
[b]@amor4ce,

ITS OBVIOUS THAT YOU HAVE NO ANSWER,AFTER ASKING FOR YOUR REASON AND EXPECTING AN ASWER TO COUNTER MY ACCUSATION,JUST HEAR YOUSELF,
Can you therefore say with all confidence that they, except perhaps Matthew, never in their lives paid tithes? You know that such would amount to disregarding God's commandments. Where do you think the New Yam Festivals and the likes originated

IS THIS AN ANSWER ?

Can this remark of yours be associated with the will of the Father? Did the Messiah ever speak to His people thus? The apostles were born as children of Israel and they grew up with the Levites and the Temple in their midst. Can you therefore say with all confidence that they, except perhaps Matthew, never in their lives paid tithes? You know that such would amount to disregarding God's commandments. Where do you think the New Yam Festivals and the likes originated?

PLS GO BACK TO PAGE ONE AND READ TO THE LAST PAGE,MANY LIKE YOU WHO DID NOT HAVE ANY SOLID PROOF HAVE BACKED OUT SINCE.[/b]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by tpia5: 1:17am On Feb 13, 2012
^^look, i dont have time for either of you.

let me just leave you oversabis with this fact:

judas iscariot, the betrayer of Jesus, was the main whiner about money, among Jesus followers.

if your main focus in church is to constantly whine about money, then you're well on your way to betraying whatever christianity you say you stand for.

and what exactly is so unusual about that? Nothing, actually.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 2:15am On Feb 13, 2012
@tpia said, "if your main focus in church is to constantly whine about money, then you're well on your way to betraying whatever christianity you say you stand for."

That comment, by itself, shows that tpia hasn't bothered to read this entire thread. ALL OF US against the FALSE TEACHING of tithing BELIEVE IN GIVING.

Our focus is NOT money. It's FALSE TEACHING.

Tpia has it backwards. It is tithing-teaching pastors who whine amount money. If they had a little faith, they would know that God will provide for His Church. But when pastors lack that faith, they instead turn to teaching lies. I have yet to belong to a local church where the pastor wasn't constantly whining about money.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 2:59am On Feb 13, 2012
garyarnold:

That comment, by itself, shows that tpia hasn't bothered to read this entire thread. ALL OF US against the FALSE TEACHING of tithing BELIEVE IN GIVING.

Our focus is NOT money. It's FALSE TEACHING.

Tpia has it backwards. It is tithing-teaching pastors who whine amount money. If they had a little faith, they would know that God will provide for His Church. But when pastors lack that faith, they instead turn to teaching lies. I have yet to belong to a local church where the pastor wasn't constantly whining about money.

God bless you greatly. I have decided to stop responding to tpia because i see him completely off the line. Can you kindly send me email so we can be in touch, I also reside in the States. mine is goshen360@yahoo.co.uk. God bless you.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Snowwy: 6:20am On Feb 13, 2012
goshen360:

My brother, It's all about biblical truth and not your own interpretation of the bible. The fact that certain things are recorded doesn't make them a practice for us in this christian age that we live in today. If your words highlighted are true, then celestial church people will be right by taking people to bath in the river or beach and people selling snake or breakthrough oil and mantle will also be right. So my brother, its about sound biblical teachings/doctrines.

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear". 2 tim. 4:3 (NIV)

@goshen360,
i looked at your post and really I wondered if the only reason why you said the above is because you do not agree with tithing. If any of your fellow brothers who are against tithe had said what I said, would you have responded in same manner? Be candid.

You yourself said:
'SUPPORTED. I, PERSONALLY HAVE STAYED TOO LONG ON THIS MOUNTAIN (TOPIC OF TITHE) AND AM OUT OF THIS FOR NOW. PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR CONVICTION PLEASE FOR THEY THAT ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD ARE THE SONS OF GOD AND TO HIM THAT IS PURE, ALL THINGS ARE PURE. IF YOUR HEART DOESN'T CONDEMN YOU, YOU ARE GOOD.'

Why therefore is it an issue when I say people should follow their convictions especially with biblical back-up? Are you being baised?

I posted scriptures, plainly for all to see on tithe both in OT and NT and the best you could come up with is that it's my interpretation?

You once said in a previous post and I quote 'If Jesus was quiet about this tithing of a thing, why cant we or the men of God just be quiet about this aspect for God sake.'.
If you consider where Jesus said that tithing should not be neglected as 'being silent' on it then I wonder. However, I am sure you do not have any queries on where Jesus was watching people as they gave offering and said the widow gave more than the others.
Are you saying therefore that giving offering is right but giving tithe is wrong? Jesus spoke on both.

May be you should define 'sound biblical teachings/doctrines'?
As per the scripture passage you pasted, it is for all to learn from. So many have gathered teachers to teach them what their itching ears want to hear.

I stand by what I said, follow you convictions especially led by the Holy Spirit through His word. You do not have to agree with me.

It is amazing when people say they are against tithe because neither Jesus nor his disciples gave tithe . May be they can quote where Jesus or any of his disciples gave offering.
It is even more amazing when people claim to give more, far more than a tenth yet have an issue with giving tithe and even make a case against it.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 6:41am On Feb 13, 2012
@Snowwy said, "It is even more amazing when people claim to give more, far more than a tenth yet have an issue with giving tithe and even make a case against it."

It's using the word, "tithe" that is wrong. When one say they tithe, it INFERS the Biblical tithe which was a PAYMENT. It was commanded. It was like a tax that had to be paid.

Did Jesus call it giving in Matthew 23:23? NO! He said you PAY tithe, not give tithe. AND, Jesus referred to it as MATTERS OF THE LAW.

Here are some similarities between a tax and the tithe:

Tithe - paid by those who inherited the promised land.
Inheritance or Estate tax - paid from the estate or inheritance.

Tithe - ONLY on property owners.
Property tax - ONLY on property owners.

Tithe - used to run the theocracy.
Income tax - used to run the government.

Tithe - doesn't apply to the poor.
Luxury tax - doesn't apply to the poor.

Tithing can also be compared to sharecropping.

Tithing was always taxation so that the programs of the government could run: the priestly program, the national religious program, and the welfare program.
Taken from God’s Plan for Giving, John MacArthur, Moody Press, 1985, page 76.

God placed all of these verses in our Bibles to remind us that Levites were public officials of the state and tithes were included as state-taxation to support them.
Taken from Should the Church Teach Tithing, Russell E. Kelly, Ph.D., page 70.

Even the Jewish Encyclopedia, Encyclopedia Judaica, agrees that tithes were political taxes.
Taken from Should the Church Teach Tithing, Russell E. Kelly, Ph.D., page 71.

See also William Hendriksen and Simon J. Kistemaker, New Testament Commentary: Exposition of Thessalonians, the Pastorals, and Hebrews (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1995), 187, for support of the relationship between taxes and tithing.

Pastors play around with the word tithe. God is not the author of confusion.

You couldn't pay the Biblical tithe today no matter how hard you tried. It is impossible. So why not let loose of the word "tithe" and start using the word give?

This whole blog just shows how dishonest and/or ignorant pastors have been since 1870. It's a real shame so many church goers are so gullible.

Since the scriptures teach that priests do NOT tithe, why would any born-again believer want to put himself BELOW the rest of us that are a part of a royal priesthood?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 7:07am On Feb 13, 2012
garyarnold:

No ,the thread is against tithing and offerings. Check the title again
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Snowwy: 7:10am On Feb 13, 2012
@garyarnold,
It is only you and others that do not tithe that say tithing is wrong to you. Since you decide to see tax and tithe as the same then sorry. They are totally different.
Whether you call it pay or give, It is a duty and you admitted that it was our duty to support the work of God's ministry.

Even in Hebrews 7, 'give' and 'pay' were used interchangeable.  So the wording is not the issue. The issue was that it was not condemned, ok? It is you that has decided to condemn it and even say it is an 'insult' to God.
Well, let's leave the rest for God now since you have become his spokesperson telling us what is an insult and what not.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 7:19am On Feb 13, 2012
goshen360:

Hey, some people will use the highlighted to justify pastors looking at money people give in the church o. I have seen this many times and this is the scripture verse they always quote.

Thats a joke .why will a pastor be looking into the bag? So what happens if there are 6 bags ,he will be running from one end of the hall to another?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 7:22am On Feb 13, 2012
Express your convictions and leave it there. Don't try to labelled others as fools or thieves for their own convictions.

Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 6:24pm On Feb 13, 2012
@Snowwy,

Hebrews 7 in the KJV does NOT interchange pay and give. In fact, it DISTINGUISHES Abraham's tenth as giving opposed to the Levites tithe as paying.

Hebrews 7:2 (KJV) To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

Hebrews 7:4 (KJV) Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

Hebrews 7:9 (KJV) And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

Matthew 23:23 (KJV) Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

KJV is consistent.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply)

Conquering Marine Spirits. / Why You Have No Reason To Doubt A Snake Swallowed 36 Million Naira. / Top 10 Hilarious Names Of Nigerian Churches (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.