Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,261 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (53157 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
People should know something about igbos, Do you know in anmbra state alone that Onitsha where i grew up dont take themselves more brotherly to awka people where i went to high school, instead they relate more to ppl in asaba. Even people near my town relate more to imo state ppl than my own town. Am i to talk about the way they speak! I find it hard to understand real awka guy when he/she is talking fast . Tho abakiliki is igbo yet how many anambra igbo understand them.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2012
abokis are talking 4 ikwere people too undecided ikwere is so under developed that in the whole of river state some still live in the bush, places like (ele ele)  is still the same since GOD made this earth and abokis and yaribas will love them to remain in the bush don't worry ikwere people will stand up to you lot.una think say they are still dumb you can come from NORTH/SW and take them with you we no mind.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:25pm On Feb 08, 2012
ndu_chucks:

The Ikwerre people are not Igbos, period.  Right from about the 16th century, the Igbo has been in touch with Ikwerre (through slave trade, Arochuku activities, goods trading, hiring of labour for farm work, marriages and politics) and had always wanted to dominate, colonise and take over Ikwerre at all cost and by all means possible.

This is natural especially where the dominated people (Ikwerre) are better endowed than the colonising power (Igbo), coupled with the ever tendency of a bigger group to swallow a smaller one and whenever the latter refuses, the former resorts to cheap propaganda. That is exactly what people like Naijaking are probably are bent on doing to Ikwerre, here on NL.

We are watching you people and your misinformation will be exposed once identified.

Your hateful mind will not give you any space to reason like you arent a northern latrin sniffing ABOKI!!
Do your research thoroughly before you start exposing ur unequalled ignorance.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by naijaking1: 6:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
ak47mann:

u noticed it cool i have seen a lot of politics in this NL cool cool

I go die laughing-o-o grin

Have you just noticed that writting something nasty about Igbos draws internet traffic to N/L(and thus higher revunues) the same way s.e, x.x sells everything on TV cheesy

ndu_chucks:

The Ikwerre people are not Igbos, period.  Right from about the 16th century, the Igbo has been in touch with Ikwerre (through slave trade, Arochuku activities, goods trading, hiring of labour for farm work, marriages and politics) and had always wanted to dominate, colonise and take over Ikwerre at all cost and by all means possible.

This is natural especially where the dominated people (Ikwerre) are better endowed than the colonising power (Igbo), coupled with the ever tendency of a bigger group to swallow a smaller one and whenever the latter refuses, the former resorts to cheap propaganda. That is exactly what people like Naijaking are probably are bent on doing to Ikwerre, here on NL.

We are watching you people and your misinformation will be exposed once identified.

Mallam, there you go reading upside down again sad
A people that calls theit own Obigbo, names their sons Amaechi, odili, Nwike, and Okoro are not Igbos, but Hausa? Right.
How do you say dan iska?

Don't worry, Igbos will not swallow Ikwerres, but Boko Haram will, and soon too.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
and tell them to stop answering igbo names is it by force?

that's just the point. its not by force and it is not prohibited either who gives a damn what name they answer why is this an issue
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 6:29pm On Feb 08, 2012
naijaking1:

I go die laughing-o-o grin

Have you just noticed that writting something nasty about Igbos draws internet traffic to N/L(and thus higher revunues) the same way s.e, x.x sells everything on TV cheesy

Mallam, there you go reading upside down again sad
A people that calls theit own Obigbo, names their sons Amaechi, odili, Nwike, and Okoro are not Igbos, but Hausa? Right.
How do you say dan iska?

Don't worry, Igbos will not swallow Ikwerres, but Boko Haram will, and soon too.
igbo tribe are the pillar of Nigeria we run things cheesy cheesy cheesy that is why every tribe in nigeria is dying to have us even their women tongue once you say igbo dey don chop you clean mouth tongue
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by chino11(m): 6:30pm On Feb 08, 2012
One_Naira:

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!.
I'm not sure if the OP is Igbo or not, na him kno, but na true talk you come dey speak
All the pretending is becoming too much that it is starting to look pathetic.
I actually just saw someone with an igbo name for account but yet insulting Igbo.  Do you notice all the Igbo pretenders always claim to be from Anambra when asked.
Then we have those claiming SS and do you notice, all the pretenders always claim to be either from PH or Warri and once in a awhile Edo comes into the mix.
Originality no dey for these one oo
Na wa oo!!!

@ the bolded that is a confirmed truth of all ages.

Back to the topic,

I believe Igbos and their kinsmen in Rivers (Ikwerre, Ndoni, Emohua, Igbo-etche and other Igbo communities in Rivers has so much ties because bulk of these people in those area has either their great grand mothers originated from the core Igbo areas.

Thereby making it impossible for any geo-political demarcation to separate these two people or entities from being one. Even down to Opobo and Bonny Isl. of Rivers, speaks Igbo fluently just like every other Igbo man elsewhere.

I found this out from a colleague of mine here in the Fed. Min (Awka) who is eventually from Bonny, he speaks Igbo so fluently that he even corrects us on certain Igbo-grammatical errors when we speak. So its like that in most Igbo speaking regions.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 6:32pm On Feb 08, 2012
slam7000:

Enough of these nonsense,if they say that they aint igbos,so be it.its nobodys business,we have a lot to worry about and these shouldnt be our worries.this is becoming very embarrassing,when its not ikwerre,it,ll be [b]asaba [/b]and ogwashi uku people.then some silly story about igbos and jews.They said they are not igbos and they are not.end of story.  

Slam7000
Na where you read this one oo!!
Who spoke of Asaba denying Igbo? Bring it out let me destroy that person for here.
Na wa oo!!! NL have resulted to lying about people just to bring in traffic.
May thunder and hell fire whomever is spreading lies about us.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 6:34pm On Feb 08, 2012
joe george:

that's just the point. its not by force and it is not prohibited either who gives a damn what name they answer why is this an issue
To us is an issue either u are igbo or not yoruba man will never answer other tribe name is impossible,so why is it different with igbo names? or are they claiming our glory anytime they feel like? abeg they should find bini names or shango names, names plenty,igbo names is not for show cool some people now use igbo names to acquire many things if you dont no cool
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by otokx(m): 6:40pm On Feb 08, 2012
okpurukata:

I really wish Ikwerres in d house can react. I live in PH and have many friends who bear Okechukwu, Eberechi, Nkiru etc. But will always deny Ibo even when they speak Ibo. Its rather funny.

The fact that you speak or bear Ibo name does not give Igbos the right to want to colloby you; haba, they should be content with what they have. Amaechi has Rotimi as one of his names by the way.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by chino11(m): 6:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
Toaskarity:

People should know something about igbos, Do you know in anmbra state alone that Onitsha where i grew up dont take themselves more brotherly to awka people where i went to high school, instead they relate more to ppl in asaba. Even people near my town relate more to imo state ppl than my own town. Am i to talk about the way they speak! I find it hard to understand real awka guy when he/she is talking fast . Tho abakiliki is igbo yet how many anambra igbo understand them.

Anambra is one monolithic people originated from Nri Kingdom here in Anambra state from whence Igbo nation in general emanated which has its roots to the Jewish Kingdom. Anambra Igbos are so unique both in their social and economic life. Other Igbos states may have the so called wide diversity but not Anambra.

"The Nri kingdom is considered to be the foundation of Igbo culture.[3] Nri and Aguleri, where the Igbo creation myth originates, are in the territory of the Umeuri clan, who trace their lineages back to the patriarchal king-figure, Eri.[4] Eri's origins are unclear, though he has been described as a "sky being"[4] sent by Chukwu (God).[5] He is credited with first giving societal order to the people of Anambra.[5] Nri history may be divided into six main periods: the pre-Eri period (before 948 CE), the Eri period (948—1041 CE), migration and unification (1042—1252 CE), the heyday of Nri hegemony (1253—1679 CE), hegemony decline and collapse (1677—1936 CE) and the Socio-culture Revival (1974—Present).[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ndata(m): 6:47pm On Feb 08, 2012
They started denying their Igboness after the Igbos lost the civil war.They thought Igbo is finished,but what are we seeing today?The rising Igbo nation despite all odds.So i guess the earlier they retrace their steps the better for them.Although nobody send them,they can choose where they want to belong.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 08, 2012
To us is an issue either u are igbo or not yoruba man will never answer other tribe name is impossible,so why is it different with igbo names? or is it claim our glory anytime they feel like? abeg they should find bini names or shango names, names plenty,igbo names is not for show Cool some people now use igbo names to acquire many things if you dont no

OK i hear u. they answer ibo names but they say they're not ibo there's nothing u or any one can do about it but run ur mouths so continue let me see what u'll gain by all these rubbish
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Martmore: 7:02pm On Feb 08, 2012
Nna eee ezili unu ezi(dem send una) e be like anything igbo too dey catch people fancy.only 2day about 3 igbo threads don show 4 homepage.why not at least let us discuss some other tribes problems like d hausa/berom jos crisis or fulani/tiv crisis on d homepage.Ihe nka agwulam ike oo
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by phreakabit(m): 7:04pm On Feb 08, 2012
[size=18pt]Guys LET THEM decide for themselves please! You can't force them to join us. . . . .  You are only making things worse! I hate it when these things happen. Makes us look bad. . . . Its like begging for support. We are more than capable of standing on our own.[/size]
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by chino11(m): 7:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
^

I  tire nwanne.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ekwynwa: 7:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
okpurukata:

I really wish Ikwerres in d house can react. I live in PH and have many friends who bear Okechukwu, Eberechi, Nkiru etc. But will always deny Ibo even when they speak Ibo. Its rather funny.

still treat them as brothers, time is the greatest healer
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
Word on the road is that Ikwerre don't want to associate themselves with Ibos because Ibos are LOSERS

You lost the war dammit grin

I don't blame them, I wouldn't if I was in their shoes - you lost the WAR cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 7:25pm On Feb 08, 2012
It's funny how people who say that Edos who don't speak a drop of Yoruba are Yorubas but think that Ikwerres who speak Igbo, have Igbo names, eat Igbo food are not Igbos. Go and tell people like Julius Agwu, Tonto Dike, Duncan Mighty, Monalisa Chinda that they are not Igbo and be ready to receive an Oyedepo slap.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 7:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
shymmex:

Word on the road is that Ikwerre don't want to associate themselves with Ibos because Ibos are LOSERS

I don't blame them, I wouldn't if I was in their shoes - you lost the WAR cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Please go back to your old username let's talk. If anybody thinks Igbos are loosers it shouldn't be Ikwerres you hear me? Nwa Okpomo ojo.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ekwynwa: 7:27pm On Feb 08, 2012
The Ikwerres actually have no problem at all but its some idle Igbo people that want to force their identity on we peoples of the Niger Delta. Why they cannot leave us alone baffles me?

all is well, take it easy
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by chino11(m): 7:28pm On Feb 08, 2012
afam4eva:

It's funny how people who say that Edos who don't speak a drop of Yoruba are Yorubas but think that Ikwerres who speak Igbo, have Igbo names, eat Igbo food are not Igbos. Go and tell people like Julius Agwu, Tonto Dike, Duncan Mighty, Monalisa Chinda that they are not Igbo and be ready to receive an Oyedepo slap.

GBAM. Tell the useless monstrous Yorubas  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by phreakabit(m): 7:31pm On Feb 08, 2012
shymmex:

See as this mumu just mess im self up. Word on the road abi word on the street?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by jmoore(m): 7:37pm On Feb 08, 2012
The problem with some Nigerians is they are too ignorant of Nigeria. Some of them only live in one place and only have the knowledge of one place.
In this 21st century they can still decide to live in one place and yet know more about Nigeria by checking on relevant sites with the aid of internet but they choose to be engaged in meaningless social activity online that they benefit nothing from.
Why not read articles about Nigeria history, culture etc?

Now to address the post. Ikwerre is Igbo! no doubt about it, even the Ikwerre people know that. There are many Igbo dialects from Enugu to Rivers state.
If anyone from Ikwerre says that he or she is not Igbo, this is as a result of Identity crisis and ignorance.

Take a look below

Before the civil war | After the civil war

Umuokoro - Rumuokoro

some people are using politics to destroy their culture.

What about language? Igbos who are not from Ikwerre can understand most words when someone from Ikwerre speaks

There are others that are part of Igbo, like Opobo.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
ndu_chucks:

The biggest piece of made-up rubbish I've seen so far in this thread.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ekwynwa: 7:40pm On Feb 08, 2012
shymmex:

Yirabas are the biggest LOSERS grin grin
with 20  pounds Igbos have bn able to buy over lagos
making them tenants in their backyard

btw the Aworis owners of Lagos have asked yirabas to move back to their caves and villages
now tell me who is the real LOSER
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 7:46pm On Feb 08, 2012
phreakabit:

[size=18pt]Guys LET THEM decide for themselves please! You can't force them to join us. . . . . You are only making things worse! I hate it when these things happen. Makes us look bad. . . . Its like begging for support. We are more than capable of standing on our own.[/size]

For the first time in your miserable existence, you make sense

Igbos, whats with all these attache by force, Earlier this week it was Edo now its Ikwerre

Even if Enugu says they are not Ibos, its their choice, if Ibadan says they are not Yoruba, no be by force
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by chino11(m): 7:56pm On Feb 08, 2012
Even Obasanjor with all his madness could not fight the Aworis to be part of Yoruba tribe. cool

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by phreakabit(m): 7:58pm On Feb 08, 2012
dayokanu:

For the first time in your miserable existence, you make sense

Igbos, whats with all these attache by force, Earlier this week it was Edo now its Ikwerre

Even if Enugu says they are not Ibos, its their choice, if Ibadan says they are not Yoruba, no be by force

Well thank you fraudster. . . .  However still haven't answered my question, regarding what you did with the donated funds you got for your non-existing digital library for Africa.  
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 8:00pm On Feb 08, 2012
afam4eva:

ROFL @ the bolded.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 8:01pm On Feb 08, 2012
shymmex:

Stick to one account.
Shamelessly creating multiple accounts, una have time oo!!!
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by iiiyyyk(m): 8:06pm On Feb 08, 2012
it is only  ignorance that will make an ikwerre man to say he is not igbo.

the only thing that makes people one globally is native language and culture.
this are the names of some of my ikwerre friends.

Ikechi
Ogechi
Nwaokoro
Amadi
Chubuike
Ezekwe  etc    

All of them speak igbo like every other igbo man with little difference in dielet as is the case with every language in this world. If there are not igbos, y is igbo language thier native language. ikwerre is just a dielet within the wider igbo language that has several dielets.
 the ikwerre dielet is more clearer to central igbo dielet than the even  Amasiri, abriba,etc dielets

phreakabit:

[size=18pt]Guys LET THEM decide for themselves please! You can't force them to join us. . . . .  You are only making things worse! I hate it when these things happen. Makes us look bad. . . . Its like begging for support. We are more than capable of standing on our own.[/size]

Thank you my brothe

chino11:

I believe Igbos and their kinsmen in Rivers (Ikwerre, Ndoni, Emohua, Igbo-etche and other Igbo communities in Rivers has so much ties because bulk of these people in those area has either their great grand mothers originated from the core Igbo areas.

Thereby making it impossible for any geo-political demarcation to separate these two people or entities from being one. Even down to Opobo and Bonny Isl. of Rivers, speaks Igbo fluently just like every other Igbo man elsewhere.

I found this out from a colleague of mine here in the Fed. Min (Awka) who is eventually from Bonny, he speaks Igbo so fluently that he even corrects us on certain Igbo-grammatical errors when we speak. So its like that in most Igbo speaking regions.

you are very correct.

Having said that, i believe in the freedom of all men. Any ikwerre man that say he is not Igbo is not Igbo. and any one that say he is Igbo is Igbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

New Photos Of Saadatu Lamido, Emir Sanusi's Wife In UK / The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs / Visit to Nigeria Local aluminium Pot Making Factory /see how they make it -photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.