Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (53037 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by merengue: 1:06am On Feb 09, 2012
SMH
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 1:25am On Feb 09, 2012
Here is what an Ikwerre Firebrand and a Pan "igboist" Uche Okwukwu has to say about whether Ikwerre are Igbo Published in Nigerian Tide :

This is the second part of The Tide Roundtable featuring Barrister Uche Okwukwu, Rivers State Chairman of ACN, first published last Monday. Read on.

Powell was not chairman of the Republican Party, you were a party chairman and in that position you took an oath not to allow your personal decisions to affect your official conduct. Since your decision ran contrary to the party’s agenda, don’t you think that it amounted to anti-party? Was that why you resigned as chairman of ACN in Rivers State?

I did not resign as the chairman of ACN.

Why not, was your personal position the decision of the party?

No, not decision of the party, but I consulted widely and called the leadership of the party to a meeting and I told them this, ‘we should not do things for the fun of it, we must as much as possible be with the people, I mean greater percentage of Rivers people. This is their opinion.” I told them, and of course with great respect. The person who contested the House of Assembly elections in Ikwerre Local Government Constituency is here and alive to attest to this. In the meeting I  called, I told them the opinion of the people of Rivers  State to allow Amaechi continue because of the mega projects he has  started, whether it is right or wrong let us allow him to go on with the projects till 2015, so that he  would be able to achieve over 50 per cent success before any other person can come on board because any other Governor may not agree completely  with his concept and ideas, or, he may agree with it but may not go on with the same speed that the man who  conceived the idea would have gone about it. But if you have 50 per cent (on ground) of a particular thing, whoever comes would be morally bound to pursue it.  But if left at this stage, it may not be in the interest of the large majority of Rivers people.

I did say that, in all the papers and of course before I went on air, I told the central working committee of the party that  I would go on air and say what I’d told them, the youth leader of  the party, Mr Bob Aaron  is here and was in that meeting. I have never, in all my life, betrayed anybody. I  can go  to prison and suffer incaceration. If agree with you on something, I don’t care what it will cause me, I will stand by it, but before I take any decision to review our previous decision, I must let you know my reasons for taking that decision or why I should take a different position, at all.

Don’t you agree that the internal wranglings worrying your party is as a result of your action or is it simply true that one of the major set backs in any opposition is in house fighting.

No, there is a book called United We Stand. I equally read a book, Divided We Stand.

In Africa, polygamy today is a global strategy because the impression people had before was that if a man has one wife, the family would be stronger but that may not be true in all instances. If for instance, you marry many wives, you could also have a stronger family. This is because, there will be competition among both the wives and their children, but you may have one wife and bear three children but they could be thinking only of inheriting the father’s property. ACN has the same difficulties other political parties had, but ACN achieved some success under my watch; it conducted primaries and produced candidates from Governor to House of Assembly. Internal wrangling in a party is part of the political process. It is expected, even if we are related by blood, if you bring us to a family meeting and say we should abide by a decision, we may be arriving at the same decision but may disagree with the process, and that process of disagreeing may lead to internal wranglings, but the most important thing is to disagree to agree. We disagreed at certain levels and agreed as a party and had candidates to run our election. My personal position as I said, has nothing to do with it.

Different sums of money have been quoted by different accusers. Please tell us, how much money was with you, when you decided that your believers should vote for Gov Amaechi, not Sekibo of your own party?

I am a very careful person. If I were not careful, I would be in jail. The party sold forms, National Assembly, State House of Assembly Governorship and so on. Everybody that bought the forms paid into a bank account in Abuja which was not controlled by the state. The party’s National headquarters thereafter, remitted N4million into our state party’s account with Intercontinental bank to which I am a signatory, along with the state treasurer and secretary. We also sold forms for the councillorship and chairmanship elections and all forms were sold by the secretary, because he was always in the office. I did not sell any of the forms.

The secretary sold and kept the proceeds. In the end, we realized about N10 million and used part of the money to buy essential office needs like fans, generator and refrigerator and about N9 million was remaining with the secretary. On the eve of the first National Assembly elections, the party needed funds so, we approached the bank and withdrew N3.5 million to add to about the N9 million with secretary, Mr Amonibia Akor which  amounted to about N13 million which we used for the purpose of supporting the national assembly elections, I Uche Okwukwu never distributed a dime. The only money of the party I was holding was N8.8 million that came on the eve of the presidential elections, through the National Treasurer of the party, Hon Kenneth Kobani. He brought the money at about 11:30 pm April 9, 2011 date of the second National Assembly when, he returned from Abuja. Before then, everybody had gone back to their various local government areas for the elections and since there was curfew, Kobani, Sekibo and myself who were in Sekibo’s house agreed that party agents who returned their units result sheets Form EC8A should be given N2,000 each. Unfortunately, everybody had gone back to their places for the elections and I as chairman, I was asked to keep the money until Monday, when, every body would have come back. Since I did not have adequate security, I took the money to my friend’s house for safe keeping.

Later, I gave N4.4 million to the chairman of chairmen forum, Timothy Amadi with a directive to disburse and keep proper records. The money was to be paid to all chairmen of the party. Later, as the days progressed, our friend and brother Uche Onyegocha, the APGA House of Representatives member, representing Owerri Federal Constituency, between 2003 and 2007 and a brother in-law to Dr Abiye Sekibo came to me, saying that he had been instructed by Dr Sekibo to reach me urgently and take the remaining N4.4 million. This was in the presence of the one time Chief Press Secretary to former Rivers State Governor Peter Odilli, former Commissioner of Information and also ACN, candidate for Ikwerre and Emohua federal constituency, my driver, Innocent Okocha, President, Abiye Vanguard and  Henry Amadi, my friend with whom I had kept the money. When I called Henry to return the remaining N4.4 million, he said he didn’t know that they would need the money that urgently, and later brought, N2.1 million cash which he gave to Uche Onyegocha sent by Dr Sekibo, the ACN governorship candidate, along with a cheque of 2.3 million drawn in the name of the same Uche Onyegocha and handed all over to him. Onyegocha took the money and the cheque and left for Sekibo’s place, as ordered by Dr Sekibo. From this account, you can see that it is entirely false that I resigned and left the party with funds under my custody. I did not resign. I am still the only constitutionally elected state chairman of the ACN. No more, no less.

[b]Barrister Uche Okwukwu you are known by many people for different things, controversial is one of them. Once, you were quoted as saying that Ikwerres are Igbos just as you were also quoted as supporting the MASSOB struggle at a time. Can you react to these sayings?

Yes, my name is Uchechukwu Okwukwu. I am an Igbo man. I have said it in different fora, the Willink report is available, the Ph’D work of Late Chief Aguma in University of Ibadan 1977 is available, other reports are also available. There is a fundamental difference between a nation and a tribe. A tribe speaks a dialect, a Nation speaks a language. Some Ikwerre people agreed that they are from Igbo, some say they are from Benin heritage. Scientifically, there are parameters we use to determine things, the sociological, spiritual, geographical and historical. If you say you are from Benin, come with your proof and show us how you came from Benin. There is no common thing that trace Ikwerre lineage to Benin. There is no single common Edo language in the Ikwerre land. None. So, those who, in falsification of languages, say other wise, should come forward with their proof.

In a study carried out by the Niger Delta group in 1976, under the Niger Delta spirit, edited by Prof Alagoa, the Ikwerre was clearly pointed out as Igbos. See, to lose a war is bad-the post-war Nigeria saw the two groups, the Igbos and Niger Delta as conquered people and the victorious North and the West clearly, unequal partners in a new relationship that eventually emerged and in that unequal relationship, like the law of Osmosis, weaker solution is naturally drawn by the stronger solution. What happened was that if you said then, you’re an Igbo, you are hated because you’re a Biafran you committed a crime, your master is in Cote d’Ivoire you raised up arms against the Federal Government, forgetting that according to Gabriel Onyeke’s Commission of enquiry 30,000 Easterners were massacred. So everybody said I am not Igbo purely as a survival syndrome. Why would you say you are Igbo, when you were not wanted? Of course, my name is Uche Okwukwu, so you can ask me my name and I will say’ am not Igbo, because if I say I was Igbo, I will be punished, but you would agree with me in this state that the great and mighty of Ikwerre land agreed that they were all Igbos. They include late Francis Ellah, former Secretary to the Rivers State government who said he was an Igbo man, the late Okugbule Wonodi, former registrar of the University of Port Harcourt said the same. Chief C. C. Nwuche said he is an Igboman, so what crime has Uchechukwu Okwukwu committed?

What is the contention of Ogbakor Ikwerre on this? Do you belong to Ogbakor Ikwerre?

Ogbakor Ikweere is an umbrella socio-cultural body, it has never said no Ikwerre man should have a different opinion on any issue.

Do they agree with you on this issue?

No, Ogbakor Ikwerre doesn’t need to agree with me because, it has never, ever driven any Ikweere man for identifying with the Igbos or one who said, he is an Igbo man.

We hope they will not sanction you?

They never drove away Okugbule Wonodi, they are not thinking of that because there are available records to show, everybody wrote with his own hand writing. When people who went to school wrote in their own handwriting, when they were not biased, people wrote tribe and nation, such records are available. What happens in this country is that we like to suppress truth. Believe me, this is the biggest shame coming from this part of the black race, it is not a courageous race ,the race is always very petty. Today’s US President Barack Obama told American voters I am pure Black American” be said, my father came here to get scholarship to study Medicine, because of internal crisis, and then government received Obama’s father into the US.

The Kenyan’s son said my name is Barack Obama ,my background is Kenya. He never said I come from America and I will answer Bush or White. ,if it were in Nigeria, he would start answering another name or remove Barack Hussein Obama, because America had problem with the Muslim extremists, then.

Do you think that the MASSOB struggle for a Biafran nation is realisable under the Nigerian Government?

Every struggle under the sun is realisable, every dream you have can be realised.

I asked because most Ikwerres say they are not Igbos.

It is not what we feel or think, many may speculate that I am a multi-millionaire, but I am not a millionaire, it is just an opinion. I have said and quote me, Uche Okwukwu, take me up, put me down, bury me 5ft underground, I am an Igbo man. What is wrong with that? I have said it before and I have given great names who also said they were Igbos too, identity is very important see, I read a book sometimes in London. I recalled the history of the Samarians, and I read it in the monastery, and beheld how a man was asked the question, who are you? When he mentioned his name, the man asked him again, do you remember what happened to your people? He answered, no, so, the man then told him to go back and read his history because, the Samarians are today a lost tribe, because they refused to read their history

Again in Geneva in 1998? I met a senator from the US, attending the meeting of the unrepresented United Nations Organisation.

The man said he was Asyrian, and everybody was shocked but he said it. That he is from Asyria, the most interesting thing was that the man could read and write in Asyrian language, even though there is no country today, called Asyria.

I took him up on that and he said, the worst thing that can happen to a man is to deny his own root, out of fear, cowardice, intimidation. When you do that, on the long wrong, you pay dearly for it, if you are not careful, your geneology disappears from the face of the earth.

Is that why you were once said to have supported the hoisting of the Biafran flag in Rivers State?

MASSOB is an idea, I believe in ideas and in what I call appropriate fiscal principles and I believe in many other progressive principles. When we go into the river to fish, there are all kinds of fishes, Tilapia, and the rest, but some other persons may be looking for the type of fish that is not known to us and which is not too popular. The Movement for the Actualization of the Soverign State of Biafra raised the flag of Biafra (MASSOB) in 2000, because they perceived injustice, and that perceived injustice they believed, could only be addressed when a peaceful process produces a clearer political space. The Ogoni people raised a flag in 1990 when they felt that they were being oppressed, they had a national anthem, I have attended a meeting of Odua Peoples Congress, (OPC) when a flag was raised, even when it was from the Yoruba nation but because these people speak Igbo and you understand Igbos are people that are hated in Nigeria. Whatever they say the talk is: bring them let’s kill and sacrifice them. They were not the first to raise a national flag. The first flag was raised by the Arewa, before Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu raised the Biafran Republic’s flag, but nobody discussed it. They suppressed it, the British intelligence suppressed it, the truth is that I subscribe to the fundamental principles of Biafra because it is a foundation that supported that the issues be addressed.

The Blackman’s rights to get dignity and survival is one. What the Igbo man is saying is we must go back to the table and negotiate and discuss. The Ijaw man for instance said, I am producing oil, but I buy it more expensively in Nembe than others buy it in Sokoto, lets discuss it, Ogoni man said, you started drilling oil from Ogoni kingdom in 1958,we raised our voices, you killed our people, let’s discuss, Igboman said of all the six geo political regions in Nigeria, we alone have just five states, others have six. For that reason, we have 15 senators only, when the North have more, let’s discuss, Ikwerre man said out of the 774 local government Areas in the country, Ikwerre with their land mass and populations have only four local government areas, is an issue, lets discuss, that is how nations move forward. You don’t move the people forward by supressing them for their agitations. If you do that, you compel them to resort to violence and I don’t pray and subscribe to violence because of my background and training, I believe that it is important to jaw-jaw than war-war, so it is important to discuss and talk, there are many different issues bothering the people. Dialogue is the answer.[/b]
What do you find wrong with the present state and local government structure in such dialogue?

The state and local government structure cannot guarantee justice because of the way and manner they were created. They were created based on those who have influential people in government or high connections in military government. That was how the local governments also emerged, so, you cannot see the states and local government areas as the basis for that kind of discussion. This is the reason why we must go back and discuss on ethnic nation-states’ levels. Even the state structures we have, is it the kind of structure we should have? For example, some states have the population of about 5 million while some have populations of one million. You also have local governments that have populations of less than 1 million and some with about 50,000. That cannot form the basis, but to a large extent, true federalism brings about competition, like talents among individuals, you come with your own talent and I bring my own, that way we make a better society, and at the end of the day, when we restructure Nigeria, we have true federalism. This will make everybody to produce and contribute according to the comparative advantage principle. The state of California and other states in the US have large economy not because they have oil but because they export education. These states sell and export education, exactly what Ghana is doing now. What do I mean? Nigerian students in Ghana pay $5,000 to school in there. So, the point is, you identify your area of comparative advantage, and with that, you can export it. So, some states in Nigeria can even do that and export education. India for instance, is benefiting from health, through successful kidney transplant. People all over the world, including Nigerians now go to India for what they call ‘medical  resort’, an arrangement whereby a patient stays in a  hospital for one month, just as one rests in a hotel on vacation for relaxation. Tourism is there also, So, comparative advantage can come when we agree to restructure Nigeria. You may have crude oil today and be reckless with it. It will bring poverty and crisis later. That exactly is the problem we are facing. The Gulf of Guinea today is in crisis because of crude oil, and particularly because there is nothing to show that the Gulf of Guinea is better than any country in East Africa who do not have oil but  depend on tourism. Nigeria is not doing better than Bostwana. With great respect, my point basically is that, resource control is good, true federalism is also good, but it must be predicated on caution, fairness, justice and equity, we must agree, you make a man agree, you appeal to him, persuade  him, educate him, bring him out from ignorance and make him believe that you can give him food. For instance, we can make Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria the best, and people from all parts of the world will come there and study, I do not come from Yoruba land, but I learnt that University of Ife had a better law faculty and people competed to write JAMB to go there and school. And in Ife then, I saw people from different parts of Africa coming to study and read there, even Nigeria was doing what they called Aid programme, so, if a state in Nigeria puts in money in education ,that state will get foreign students that will pay them in dollars and pounds as we pay in Britain and Ghana today.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 1:30am On Feb 09, 2012
One_Naira:

Actually No you do not. The Yoruba claim they claim they have connection with the Yoruba. You should reread the Benin thread, the Edo on NL identified that neither Yoruba nor Igbo have any connection with them, they share similar heritage, some similar words but the two main groups are not similar to them. Did you miss the actual Edo replies such as Physics, Gareth, etc on that thread? The only group whom kept speaking of the connection was Yoruba. Let stop lying to ourselves sometimes.
Cubans and Brazilians claim Yoruba identity because they are of Yoruba stock just like Dominican Republic, African-American, Jamaicans, and some Afro-Europeans claim Igbo heritage because they are of Igbo stock.

On NL anyone can claim to be anyone. I can register a name tomorrow and say I am Okechukwu from umuahia

Would I rather believe the words of Papabrowne over the Oba of Bini?

The thing is have you seen any Oba of Bini that would deny Benin links with Yoruba?

Its either they say Oduduwa came from Bini or the other way round.

And Who can be more Edo than the Oba of Bini Omo noba Erediauwa

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 1:42am On Feb 09, 2012
Perhaps Uchechukwu has articulated the facts for the sceptics. I could not have said it better than Uche Okwukwu. No amount of ad hominem attacks can change the facts. As my idol Bob Marley said in one of his celebrated songs:"you can't run away from yourself." Some Ikwerre not all have tried to run from themselves and they've been running in circles since 1970. I am Igbo from Anioma and grew up partially in PH. Ikwerre are Igbo in my own opinion.

The hidden fact in the amorphous South South or Niger Delta is that the Igbo are still more populous than any other tribe-the Igbo still predominate here!  The Anioma(Aniocha/Oshimili; IKA and Ukwuani) in Delta State. The Igbanke in Edo; Ogba, Ndoni, Ekpeye , Etche, Ikwerre, some elements in Opobo and Bonny in Rivers. I also believe that there are peripheral Igbo in Akwa Ibom. 

Fror those who relish mocking the Igbo, always remember that you can't conquer the indomitable Igbo spirit. It is pertinent to mention here that Ikwerre cannot be more endowed than the rest of the Igbo. Anyone that says otherwise is halucinating.  Ikwerre is not up to 1% of the general Igbo population and the Igbo have done well on their own in Nigeria despite all the obstacles and do not wish to absorb anyone.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 2:07am On Feb 09, 2012
dayokanu:

On NL anyone can claim to be anyone. I can register a name tomorrow and say I am Okechukwu from umuahia

Would I rather believe the words of Papabrowne over the Oba of Bini?

The thing is have you seen any Oba of Bini that would deny Benin links with Yoruba?

Its either they say Oduduwa came from Bini or the other way round.

And Who can be more Edo than the Oba of Bini Omo noba Erediauwa

Papabrowne, Gareth, Physics, Edo.girl and one more Benin person repeated the same thing.
I am not surprised Papabrowne was the only one that stood out to you because he's the only one whom kept mentioning he'll choose SE over SW. No surprise there. Your hatred for Igbo will kill you one day if you ask me. You should seek help on it.

As for the article you kept posting all over the thread. I ignored you because well you seem to have selective reading, that was why most both Igbo and Benin ignored you on the thread, a simply look of physics reply was all anyone needed to see.  The guy in question (Erediauwa) was not the Oba of Benin as the Benin’s on that thread mentioned countless times but rather a non-royal Benin individual whom studied and lived around eastern Nigeria.  He, physics, also mentioned the article is been taking out of context by individuals since well the same guy in question was a friend of Zik and many other Igbo.  He spoke of the stereotype and belief of eastern groups about Igbo well at the same time connecting the good aspect of Igbo as mentioned by Physics. I've noticed a new wave of selective reading on NL.  I'll rather listen to someone whom is more intellectual advanced in history (physics) than you.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 2:15am On Feb 09, 2012
One_Naira:

Papabrowne, Gareth, Physics, Edo.girl and one more Benin person repeated the same thing.
I am not surprised Papabrowne was the only one that stood out to you because he's the only one whom kept mentioning he'll choose SE over SW. No surprise there. Your hatred for Igbo will kill you one day if you ask me. You should seek help on it.
As for the article you kept posting all over the thread. I ignored you because well you seem to have selective reading, a simply look of physics reply was all I needed to see. The guy in question (Erediauwa) was not the Oba of Benin as the Benin’s on that thread mentioned countless times but rather a non-royal Benin individual whom studied and lived around eastern Nigeria. He, physics, also mentioned the article is been taking out of context by individuals since well the same guy in question was a friend of Zik and many other Igbo. He spoke of the stereotype and belief of eastern groups about Igbo well at the same time connecting the good aspect of Igbo as mentioned by Physics. I've noticed a new wave of selective reading on NL. I'll rather listen to someone whom is more intellectual advanced in history (physics) than you.

An article written in plain English yet you needed another human being to interprete for you

Have you bothered to find out who Erediauwa is? Or you are waiting for physics to explain to you

Erediauwa (b. 1923) was crowned the 38th Oba of Benin, head of the traditional state of Benin, Nigeria on 23 March 1979. He is the traditional ruler of the Edo people, with his capital in Benin City. Formerly Prince Solomon Akenzua, Oba Erediauwa's full title is His Royal Highness Omo n'Oba n'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Solomon Igbinoghodua Aisiokuoba Akenzua Erediauwa I.[1]

[edit] BiographyErediauwa was born in 1923, son of Oba Akenzua II. Before being crowned he was known as Prince Solomon, Aiseokhuoba, Igbinoghodua Akenzua. He attended Government College, Ibadan (1939–1945), then Yaba College, before going to King's College, Cambridge to study Law and Administration. He joined the Eastern Nigeria Civil Service in 1957 as a District Officer, later moving to the Federal Civil Service where he retired as Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health in 1973. For a short period he was the regional representative of Gulf Oil. In 1975 he was appointed Commissioner for Finance in Bendel State during the Military Administration of Major-General George Agbazika Innih.[1]

Ascending to the throne on 23 March 1979,
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 2:35am On Feb 09, 2012
dayokanu:

An article written in plain English yet you needed another human being to interprete for you

Have you bothered to find out who Erediauwa is? Or you are waiting for physics to explain to you

ROFL hard.

A Benin man will know whom his or her people's Oba is don't you think?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.  I've seen articles where the writer gives title left and right without proof of accuracy.
This is written by Nigerians and it is a known fact that many Nigerian writers write inaccurate information without verifying it.
I've even seen on NL where someone once claimed Arthur Mbanefo was an Igbo traditional ruler despite it being otherwise, though he was not a writer but no surprise there una praised him on without verifying it.

I do believe a Benin man who is very advanced in history of Africa would know who the Oba of his people more than you or anyone else are you saying the Benin's are unaware of their OWN Oba. WTF

So whom should I believe: someone from that community or an article written by an unknown and posted by someone whom isn't from that community.  undecided I wonder whom
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 2:44am On Feb 09, 2012
And where did Physics claim that the writer is not the Oba of Benin Erediauwa like you claimed

Can you copy the quote Physics made about that?

Since your own ability to read and understand English is now dependent on what Physics says
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:51am On Feb 09, 2012
I see the Omo n'oba as a man of prestige but the way he spoke about the Igbos was too razz and it made me question his substance as a KING !!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 2:55am On Feb 09, 2012
dayokanu:

And where did Physics claim that the writer is not the Oba of Benin Erediauwa like you claimed

Can you copy the quote Physics made about that?

Since your own ability to read and understand English is now dependent on what Physics says

No rather I listen to communities than assume whom or whom is not a leader. You've and many of your other monikers have posted multiple topics, threads, etc to bath your hatred towards Igbo whether you take it out of context or not. As long as the word Igbo is in it and a little attack on the group is in it, na you post it. You've shamelessly claimed Benin claim to be similar to Yoruba and when they deny you, instead of just licking your wounds and move on, lets attack Igbo by posting an article to speak on the behalf of the Benin as if there own words by their own people do not matter. Similar to how you just posted an article on this thread about Ikwerre from a one man's point of view to speak for everyone. That is what makes you a comical person, you think small. A simple look of Asabian history will narrate to you, we are aware of the likes, dislikes, etc of the Benin's be it the Oba or the people. Bigotry keeps you alive, I on the other hand listen to everyone and not just one person whom support or does not support my view.

As for the post, here it is but it is a shame I have to dig for you what you could've read yourself.

Oba Akenzua II did not write the quotes posted by oduasolja and reposted by jason123; rather that was Erediauwa, who chose to work in the civil service in the Eastern region for about 13 years (1952-1965). Oba Akenzua's NCNC leanings and his coordination with the Zikists suggests a somewhat different outlook.

Most of those quotes are taken out of context anyway. The part of the book relating to the eastern region is actually trying to explain why some others came to dislike the Igbo in the run up to the civil war, despite the "adventurousness" and "industry" attributed to them, and why some of that dislike persists to this day. Some people can pretend this dislike didn't actually exist if they want, but history paints a different picture. We all know the COR state issue was not merely about politics. Anyway, while parts of that selection of quotes are offensive, there is not really any outright dislike of Igbos stated there or even implied. There is criticism, and then balances of those criticisms with positives.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 2:56am On Feb 09, 2012
And the multiple accounts ID just surfaces.

Life no dey for some NL people oo!!.

Let me log out. I don't like dealing with two ids by the same person, I see no point in doing so.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 3:01am On Feb 09, 2012
So where can you infer from the post Physics made that the statement wasnt made by the Oba of benin Erediauwa?

Probably in your royal ignorance you didnt know Erediauwa was Oba of Benin and according to his profile I posted he served in eastern nigeria at that time 1960's.

If you cant read and understand simple English and need Physics to explain to you then why dont you go enroll in school instead of disgracing yourself on the web
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 3:09am On Feb 09, 2012
dayokanu:

So where can you infer from the post Physics made that the statement wasnt made by the Oba of benin Erediauwa?

Probably in your royal ignorance you didnt know Erediauwa was Oba of Benin and according to his profile I posted he served in eastern nigeria at that time 1960's.

If you cant read and understand simple English and need Physics to explain to you then why dont you go enroll in school instead of disgracing yourself on the web

ROFL.

The behavior of NL bigots.

Ask for proof, you provided them proof, they result to insults.

Whatever puts you to sleep dayokanu.

[size=15pt]Everyone loves Yoruba, admire them, wishes their entire life revolves around Yoruba and everyone hates Igbo.[/size]

The need to connect yourself to others as having a universal look of Igbo and a ego sponsored look to Yoruba is IMO becoming a pathetic attempt.

Desperation if you ask me.

Whatever strokes your ego and butter your bread dayokanu.

The obsession of Yoruba to Igbo is becoming just pitiful. Most NL Igbo are starting to disregard una on daily basis but but una killing yourself of them. ROFL
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by iiiyyyk(m): 3:10am On Feb 09, 2012
Not that Igbos are begging others to be igbos, its funny how fear can make people want to change the truth. an average igboman is couragous and does not tolerate cowardice as exhibited by some people.

Uhe okwukwu has said it all.

I repeat ikwerres are igbos by origin, but not igbos by choice and nationality. every man can chose his nationality but not his Origin.

Today an igboman is a member of British parliament, a yuroba man a member of polish parliament. This men like thousand of others has choose their nationality but cannot change their origin. To change your origin is like a black man saying im not a black. every other person around him sees him like a fool.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 3:25am On Feb 09, 2012
only one or two bigots are missing in action alj haram and the rest should come and demonstrate for us nah undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by BlackPikiN(m): 3:51am On Feb 09, 2012
cheesy

Abeg time to enjoy an Igbo son from ikwerreland jare.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nho-FCsZXE[/flash]

Abi no igbo song again?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by BlackPikiN(m): 3:54am On Feb 09, 2012
This guy na Ika boy O Wizboyyy, Abi no be Igbo again.
Thank God some of them don dey come back to reality.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGI2jEXGbDg[/flash]
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by obamamate: 4:24am On Feb 09, 2012
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Coldsteel(m): 5:28am On Feb 09, 2012
iiiyyyk:

Not that Igbos are begging others to be igbos, its funny how fear can make people want to change the truth. an average igboman is couragous and does not tolerate cowardice as exhibited by some people.

Uhe okwukwu has said it all.

I repeat ikwerres are igbos by origin, but not igbos by choice and nationality. every man can chose his nationality but not his Origin.

Today an igboman is a member of British parliament, a yuroba man a member of polish parliament. This men like thousand of others has choose their nationality but cannot change their origin. To change your origin is like a black man saying im not a black. every other person around him sees him like a fool.

, big thumbs iiiyyykkk, brillant anologies
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pasthedutc: 6:37am On Feb 09, 2012
@ CHINO11: I doubt if you really have anything Jews or some kind of enlightenment in you. Anyone of a Jewish accessory would never castigate fellow Jews. You are basically saying that the Ibo’s in Anambara are better of than Ibo’s somewhere in Nigeria and that the Jews in Israel are better of than the Jews in other part of the world?  And that an Ibo trader is better of than Ibo intellectuals in the banking or scientific institutions? I think you need some serious enlightenment here, sorry!
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by stayreal: 7:09am On Feb 09, 2012
I know some ikwerre people and some don't know why they feel that way. Some say they are igbo, some say they are ikwerre. It would be like someone from Nkwerre, Imo state saying he is no longer igbo. It would make no sense. Every town has their own dialect. Only Ndigbo on this board will understand this example. cool Before the war, ikwerre did not deny their igbo ties. The names that they carry do not lie on their identity even until today. The abandoned property issue and the fear of marginalization after the civil war made them deny their igboness. People must remember that ikwerre is very small group when compared to ijaw and other groups. Their move to deny their igboness after the war was a political strategy, because they have no numerical strength. Some igbos today drive by property that they or their fathers once owned but lost due to "abandoned property." I can tell you that no igbo man can brag about having something he has never worked for without being shamed by his own people. We take pride in building something from our own hands. The acceptance of abandoned property was the beginning of laziness for many groups.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by safarigirl(f): 7:24am On Feb 09, 2012
, And here we go again,
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by rhymz(m): 8:40am On Feb 09, 2012
It is only out of ignorance that you hear some ikwerre people claim they are not Igbo but Ikwerre even when they have no iron-caste evidence of such a preposterous claim.
Generally, a person’s native name, mother-tongue, pedigree and ancestral geographical location define his race. But this may not be so in cases where an individual bears a name and speaks a language unrelated to the one associated with his ancestors. However, when the indigenes of an entire community speak as their mother tongue, a language associated with a particular race, bear names borne only by persons of that race, share boundaries with communities within that race and have traditions similar to theirs, then the inescapable conclusion is that they belong to that race. This is the place of Ikwerres and other Igbo-speaking communities in Rivers, Delta, Edo and Cross River States vis-à-vis the Igbos of the South-East.
It is a well known fact of history that Ikwerre people are descendants Igbo merchants and traders from Arochukwu, Awka, Nkwerre, Orlu and some other Owerri areas.
Unless, the likes of Me Dibia and Elechi Amadi( whose names ironically are names of Igbo deities) are trying to tell us that the Ikwerre people descended from heaven and miraculously began to speak Igbo language. The history of Ngwa and their spread vis-a- vis the founding of Diobu - Port Harcourt would also interest those that are concerned with this subject.
Mr. Onueze Chukwujindu Joe Okocha (SAN) a.k.a OCJ Okocha, is an Ikwerre heavy- weight and a former President of Nigerian Bar Association. OCJ, In his speech to "Ogbako" ( which is an igbo word that has thesame meaning in ikwerre) Ikwerre USA, told his kinsmen that the Ikwerres could have had more than one source of origin, and that Arochukwu is just one undeniable one. He credited the founding of two out of the four segments of Ikwerre to Arochukwu. Barristers OCJ Okocha, Uche Okwukwu and Isaac Nwownu are some of the elites and leading lights in Ikwerre who do not share the total exclusion of Igbo in their anthropology. On the other side of the divide, are the Gowonist revisionists, if you will, led by Elechi Amadi and Eze Frank Adiele Ekeh. They constitute the immediate post war leaders of Ikwerre, who tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to re-invent another language for the Ikwerre. Let's be realistic here, the whole "I am not Igbo" movement by Igbos in the SS started after the end of the civil war, the whole thing is political. Perhaps they started it to better their chances at being accepted by larger Nigerian group who at that time were still basking in the euphoria of their victory and were the ones calling the shots on who or which group gets what and all that crap. However, the reality today is that, the whole hoax has fallen flat on their faces and they are still seen majorly by non-igbos as Igbos, coupled with their betrayal of the Igbo nation, they decided to go into a self imposed identity of being an ethnic group whose descendants originated from thin air. It is equally important to debunk Mr Dibia's claim of Ovunna which according to him was the original ikwerre varient of Obinna that he claimed was imposed by his fictituos "Igbo coloniallists". The word Ovu is Igbo and is not used exclusively in the ikwerre dialect alone. Ovu is commonly used by the natives of Awka local Government Area in Anambra state, it's an open fact and it means thesame thing as obinna- meaning heart or house in Ikwerre dialect and igbo general. This fact points to my early assertion that their descendants came from these igbo towns. Anyway, nobody is forcing them to be Igbo, I personally do not have anything to gain from Ikwerre people who call themselves whatever, Igbo people as a race are extremely blessed and do not need any group to survive instead it is rather the opposite. However, it is our collective responsibility to educate where it is found that the truth for whatever reasons are being deliberately distorted for a political convenience and not neccessarily to teach history.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dj187: 9:00am On Feb 09, 2012
Let me clear d air i am a fullblooded ikwerre man & wish to state categorically dat d ikwerres are no igbos, sometimes i wonder why dis pathetic igbos on nairaland will be loosing sleep ova issues dat pertain ikwerres, fellow nigeria i challenge d igbos to tell nigerians d genealogy of d ikwerre man, Igbos u guys should try and settle ur issues of discord among urselves, greed, ritual killings, 419, prostitution, child trafficking etc rather than come here to blab trash.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by safarigirl(f): 9:03am On Feb 09, 2012
^^shut up and stop showing your ignorance, please. People focus on more important things than this identity crisis rubbish abeg. What does being Ibo or otherwise contribute to your lives? Will it increase your life spans?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by flyuche(m): 10:01am On Feb 09, 2012
some people need history lessons.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 10:56am On Feb 09, 2012
I'm just enjoying all the new ID's springing up. grin
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 11:24am On Feb 09, 2012
mbatuku2:

I'm just enjoying all the new ID's springing up. grin

I'm telling you. You'll know from the number of posts they have.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 1:08pm On Feb 09, 2012
Lets leave them ikweres for ijaw to sweep up in future we dash them abandon properties lazy people cool cool
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ngodigha1(m): 2:48pm On Feb 09, 2012
dj187:

Let me clear d air i am a fullblooded ikwerre man & wish to state categorically dat d ikwerres are no igbos, sometimes i wonder why dis pathetic igbos on nairaland will be loosing sleep ova issues dat pertain ikwerres, fellow nigeria i challenge d igbos to tell nigerians d genealogy of d ikwerre man, Igbos u guys should try and settle ur issues of discord among urselves, greed, ritual killings, 419, prostitution, child trafficking etc rather than come here to blab trash.
Monkey, I do not pity you, but those your parents who lied to you lots that you are not Igbo. Shame to all of them.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dj187: 4:13pm On Feb 09, 2012
choi! these igbo people no go kill me, no wonder they are scattered around nigeria looking for places to claim, i pity una sha.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ngodigha1(m): 4:19pm On Feb 09, 2012
dj187:

choi! these igbo people no go kill me, no wonder they are scattered around nigeria looking for places to claim, i pity una sha.
Shut up your smelly mouth, beast of no identity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Meet Simi Oluwaseyi Phebian, Sister Of Ooni Of Ife's Wife Changes Her Bio / Oba Adamson Punches, Injures Chief, Alleges Disrespect / Wuraola Otiti Before She Became Ooni Of Ife’s Queen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.