Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,623 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (53076 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by eastOFwest(m): 9:49pm On Feb 08, 2012
afam4eva:

@eastofwest
You people have to understand that just as Ikwerre has it's own unique culture(names, food etc) different from the greater Igbos, so does Ngwa, Owerri, Asaba, Onitsha and co have their own unique culture. Or are you insinuating that all Igbos in the south-east speak alike?

Guy leave matter, have you lived amongst Ikwerre's before? There's nothing in their demeanour, lifestyle or work ethic that suggests Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 9:50pm On Feb 08, 2012
In the interview with President, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Ralph Uwechue, published in the Daily Sun March 10, the President was asked what efforts he was making to unite Igbo in Rivers and Delta states, he said: “First of all, it should be understood that these factions who now deny the fact they are Igbo did so only after the civil war; take for instance the Ikwerre people… fully identified with us during the pre-civil war era but because the Igbo lost the civil war, a kind of stigma was smeared on them making a lot of people to start adjusting their names to sound less Igbo…”. This statement is misleading and not correct.

First of all, Ikwerre is not Igbo. We have made this clear even before the civil war and that was why some Igbo accused Ikwerre of sabotage during the war. Second, in all efforts by the minorities in the former Eastern region to agitate for their own political, social and economic recognition and liberty in the Eastern region and Nigeria at large, Ikwerre participated fully: hence, the late Chief E. J. A. Oriji and others represented Ikwerre before and during most of the conferences set up to address the fears of the minority ethnic groups in Nigeria. Third, in May 1963, Ikwerre people formed the Ogbakor Ikwerre Convention to state that Ikwerre is a distinct ethnic group from any others in Nigeria. Fourth, in the 1964/65 elections into the Federal House of Representatives, National Council of Nigeria and the Camerouns (NCNC) nominated an Igbo man named Mr. Eluguronu to represent Ikwerre in the House. Ikwerre rejected it and fielded young Nwobidike Nwanodi as an independent candidate and he won. Fifth, Ikwerre’s participation in all the movements for the creation of COR and later Rivers States clearly shows Ikwerre’s rejection of been Igbo.

Let the point be made that right from about the 16th century, the Igbo has been in touch with Ikwerre (through slave trade, Arochuku activities, goods trading, hiring of labour for farm work, marriages and politics) and had always wanted to dominate, colonise and take over Ikwerre at all cost and by all means possible. This is natural especially where the dominated people are better endowed than the colonising power, coupled with the ever tendency of a bigger group to swallow a smaller one and whenever the latter refuses, the former resorts to cheap propaganda. That is exactly what Chief Uwechue and Ohanaeze Ndigbo are bent on doing to Ikwerre. In this unholy enterprise, they appear confused: for example, while some of them claim that Ikwerre sabotaged the Biafra project, Uwechue has said that Ikwerre did not. Truly, Ikwerre did not, just like every other minority ethnic group in the former Eastern region. How could we when the Igbo were in absolute control of the region? So, we fought for Biafra. When another colonising super power (Nigerian forces) arrived, Ikwerre had no option than to surrender and cooperate with them. Hence, Ikwerre actually fought the war on and for both sides.

After the war, some of the ill activities of the Igbo in Ikwerre were corrected. In the case of names, the Igbo first changed the original Ikwerre names into Igbo names in an attempt to force Ikwerre to become Igbo. So at the end of the war, some Ikwerre decided to assert their original names; hence, Igirita was changed to Igwuruta, Isoba was changed to Choba, Amaweke was changed to Rumuokwuta, etc. Even individuals suffered the same humiliation when their names were forcefully changed from Ovunda to Obinna for example. Even the original name of the Ikwerre ethnic group, which is Iwheruoha was changed to Ikwerre by the Igbo. Some names have been retained (like my surname) to reflect part of the Ikwerre colonial journey, just like a Yoruba Nigerian bearing the name Matthew. Does this make the Yoruba man an English man? No!

On a more serious note, if the Igbo insists that Ikwerre is Igbo, they should provide concrete sociological and historical evidences to prove their case beyond the whimsical factors of appearance, language and name, which no longer can correctly and truly define a people in today’s world.

The bolded.

Some m0rons on the edo Thread claimed they can differentiate 2 Southern Nigerian by looks. What could be more id10tic.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ngodigha1(m): 9:50pm On Feb 08, 2012
Henritwist:

greedy igbos, ikwerrans are nt igbo and can never b igbo. Y do u pple dnt allow ikwerri 2 rest, there must b a hiden agenda. Is ur land nt milk nd fertile? Then wat is ur problem. Enough of all dis
Common, shut up your rotten mouth. What makes them non Igbo and others such as my own Ibusa, Nkwerre, Izii, Nnewi, Nsukka etc Igbo?. Stinking pig.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by eastOFwest(m): 9:52pm On Feb 08, 2012
ChinenyeN:

NO. He will never get it, unless he comes to the understanding himself. Don't serve it to him on an open platter.

I want that open platter. Serve it to me, I no run.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ngodigha1(m): 9:56pm On Feb 08, 2012
eastOFwest:

Guy leave matter, have you lived amongst Ikwerre's before? There's nothing in their demeanour, lifestyle or work ethic that suggests Igbo.
Quit being silly here. The Ikwerre are close to Riverine people and as a result have borrowed the riverine way of life. It is just as Aros are close to Ibibio and has some Ibibio traditions. Ikwerre people are 100% Igbo.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:58pm On Feb 08, 2012
eastOFwest:

I want that open platter. Serve it to me, I no run.
Are you blind as well? You just received the open platter from Afam. Yet, see the response you gave to him. .

eastOFwest:

If anything, the above is a clear indication that you have no intention of learning what you do not know.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by eastOFwest(m): 9:58pm On Feb 08, 2012
Ngodigha1:

Quit being silly here. The Ikwerre are close to Riverine people and as a result have borrowed the riverine way of life. It is just as Aros are close to Ibibio and has some Ibibio traditions. Ikwerre people are 100% Igbo.

You can quite easily say too, that ikwerres are riverine poeple that are close to Igbos and as a result have borrowed some Igbo elements.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by iiiyyyk(m): 10:02pm On Feb 08, 2012
eastOFwest:

Going by your analogy - Nigerians, Ghanaians and Sierra Leonians speak English and bear English names, therefore we are English? Forget the language and name thing, investigate the culture and traditions. People might acquire names and lingua by close association or by being dominated.

YOUR reasoning  is so narrow. Native language and name is what we are talking about, not second language. we answer english names because all those country you mention were colonized by Britain hence we accept english as our second language.

we are not english that is why we take test of english b4 studing abroad.

Does it mean ikwerre's answer igbo name and speak igbo language, becouse Igbos colonized them? Abeg tell US

[center]Ikwerre are igbos but not of Igbo nation.  A man can chose his Nation but not his Origin.[/center]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 08, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 10:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
dayokanu:

The bolded.

Some m0rons on the edo Thread claimed they can differentiate 2 Southern Nigerian by looks. What could be more id10tic.

Dayo,ikwerre people are not too important to other igbo tribes,they are not the only igbo tribe with oil,Asa ,ndoni(anioma),egbema,ndoki tribes also have oil,but ndiigbo don't depend on oil,the most important igbo tribe today,are those igbos indigenious to bonny,they offer the igbo nation what we lack,ikwerre is landlocked. undecided
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by odumchi: 10:08pm On Feb 08, 2012
The funny thing is that most of these people called Ikwerre are the descendants of Igbo settlers from my town (Arochukwu), Mbaise and Ngwaland but I digress.

Prior to Nairaland, I had never heard anything about Ndi mba Ikwerre not being Igbo. The last time I was in Port Harcourt (which wasn't too long ago), I stayed with my uncle (who's an Ngwa man) and his friend (who was Ikwerre). We all conversed freely in Igbo and in the whole conversation, I never heard him explicitly say or even imply that he wasn't Igbo. It was nothing more than three Igbos conversing.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by naijaking1: 10:09pm On Feb 08, 2012
pazienza:

Ikwerre tribe will not add anything special to the other tribes that chose to remain in the larger igbo nation,they are not that important,you guys should stop making them feel important,of more importance are those igbo people indigenious to bonny,they are the ones we should be talking about,they can give us access to the sea,ikwerre is landlocked,Ph is not an ikwerre city now,the okirika(ijaw) people have a stake in that city now,ikwerre's  oil wells are not that much now.Left for me,they should be allowed to stay,they are not important.

Btw,can anyone tell me more about those wonderful igbo people indigenious to bonny? grin

Tribe?
I guess you don't know the meaning of that word. Your so-called Ikwerre tribe was founded after the civil war the defeat of Biafra? What about Asaba tribe, Onitsha tribe, Nsukka tribe, and of course Enugu tribe
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Chinom(m): 10:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
I also deny being African and black. I'm actually Chinese. Everyone is free to deny anything at anytime. WE KNOW WHAT WE SEE AND HEAR WHEN WE SEE YOU. Their IGBO names (First and surnames) says it all. this thread is a waste of time anyway. Origin, roots is not and can never be equated with location.
Here is a puzzle for you guys. If an African elephant is taken to an American zoo, is it still an African elephant or an American elephant. This is the question African Americans are trying to resolve. Same goes for Ikwere people.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ngodigha1(m): 10:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
eastOFwest:

You can quite easily say too, that ikwerres are riverine poeple that are close to Igbos and as a result have borrowed some Igbo elements.
Can you stop displaying further stupidity in this thread. Aro people have borrowed a lot of Ibibio culture yet they are still Igbo. Why did you not comment about that. Why not allow the Ikwerres to do the talking?.  If an Ijebu says he or she is not Yoruba, does that mean that Ijebus are not Yorubas.
Get a life lil boy.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 10:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
@eastofwest
Abeg which one be Igbo deamenour? Do all Igbos act alike? Society shapes people you know. An onitsha persona and his Ngwa brother don't have the same disposition.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
99+% of the people posting here don't even know the first thing about Iwheroha origins. mtchww
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by emmalexabl(m): 10:13pm On Feb 08, 2012
@poster, who are these ppl sef. .we all know that an average ikwere man is laziness personified and a liability if u happen to stay wit them. .they only know hw to sell land and rear goats, i fink hausas are even far better. .
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by osifred(m): 10:35pm On Feb 08, 2012
It is only the ibos dat force other pple to be dia clan men. haba we hav said we r nt part of ibo is it by force? am from Ogba in Rivers State n everyday i get to argue wit ibos abt dis. we may share certain cultural similarities buh dat doesnt mean we r ibo. tracing our ancestry history u wil discover we hav tieds with the Benin Kingdom nt ibo

nevertheless i stand to be correct if am wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by iiiyyyk(m): 10:43pm On Feb 08, 2012
emmalexabl:

@poster, who are these ppl sef. .we all know that an average ikwere man is laziness personified and a liability if u happen to stay wit them. .they only know hw to sell land and rear goats, i fink hausas are even far better. .

ikwerre is 2 n half L G A in river state their major occupation is land selling.  Most of them are now tenants to grin cheesy  boys in PH.  

Nigerians make una no kill igbos too much success they  worry them.

igbos remember many will out of jealousy, hate and talk you down becouse you people are the most succesful ethnic nationality in nigeria.  base on your individual hard work not from national looting
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 10:44pm On Feb 08, 2012
naijaking1:

Tribe?
I guess you don't know the meaning of that word. Your so-called Ikwerre tribe was founded after the civil war the defeat of Biafra? What about Asaba tribe, Onitsha tribe, Nsukka tribe, and of course Enugu tribe

I believe that igbo is not a tribe but a nation,composed of many tribes.

Ikwerre has always been a tribe,just like ngwa,nkanu,nsukka,anioma(enu ani/ukwuani),izzi,asa,ndoki,etc,they are all tribes that make up the igbo nation,onitsha is in anambra,yet you can see that they always lean towards their brothers in anioma,even the asa in rivers and  will always lean towards their brothers in ukwa west abia state.

If you start seeing the igbo as a nation made up of tribes,only then  will you start understanding how this igbo thing works.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 10:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
PStylish:

@All
So far I have come to understand the difference between mainland Yorubas and Igbos as regards their relationship with their people indigenous to states outside their geopolitical zone.

The Igbos
The Igbos find themselves in a desperate bid to associate themselves with Igbos outside the SE and claim them as brothers which they may actually be. They even go as far as claiming Edo state and even Yoruba.Only that in the latter case, they see us as the same people with different dialects. grin grin grin
But this attitude breeds suspicion.Why not let these outland Igbos be the ones shouting and spelling it loud and clear that they are Igbo. I have met many Delta Igbos who outrightly chastised me for calling them Igbo and warned me against making such mistake again.These guys - male and female -  bear pure Igbo names to the best of my understanding.

The Yorubas
Yorubas in the SW not give a rats arse what the Yorubas in Kwara, Kogi, Edo, Delta (Itsekiri) and Niger (Jebba) call themselves.
Infact it is these guys that keep sounding it loud and clear at the slightest opportunity that they Yorubas.
In our daily interactions with them, only 2 factors matter - their Yoruba names and their ability to speak Yoruba - for them to enjoy Yoruba benefits wherever whenever.
[b]As regards Awori not wanting to be Yoruba, [/b]I am hearing that for the first time on Nairaland.So funny. The interesting part of that "misyarn" is that Igbos have finally accepted that Lagos is not a no man's land,that it is owned by the Aworis only that the Aworis are not Yoruba.Very funny. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Lest I forget, I read a newspaper publication some months ago. It was a rejoinder from some Ilaje leaders.They had written to fault Olusegun Osoba on his wrong assertion that they were Ijaws. In doing this they went down history lane and asserted their Yorubaness in very strong terms.I was proud of that. This is how the non SE Igbos should be allowed to fight for their Igboness rather than have it forced down their throat by the mainlanders.
My close friend has told me several times we are not Yoruba.It is now left for me to tell him NO irrespective of whatever points he may have.
All Yorubas have dialects - from simple to undiscernible - but we all converge in the general Yoruba.

One love.

Co-signed.

Yorubas dont care if you are from ibadan and say you are not Yoruba, no one would fight youfor it.

Actually you would see many groups from Benin, Cuba, brazil, Sierra leone etc coming to say they are related to yoruba, Yorubas wont be going to claim them and actually fighting with them

But for Ibos its always like that.

Per your example. I have a friend whose whole family bear Ibo names like Chinyere, Ifeanyi, Nduka, Ugochukwu yet still tells me he is not Ibo that he is Ndokwa.

I have never heard any Ekiti, ilaje, Ijebu, Egba, Ijesha claim they are not Yoruba before

Huge difference
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 10:49pm On Feb 08, 2012
pazienza:

Dayo,ikwerre people are not too important to other igbo tribes,they are not the only igbo tribe with oil,Asa ,ndoni(anioma),egbema,ndoki tribes also have oil,but ndiigbo don't depend on oil,the most important igbo tribe today,are those igbos indigenious to bonny,they offer the igbo nation what we lack,ikwerre is landlocked. undecided

I get your point, If anyone says he isnt something just leave him alone and dont argue

if African Americans come tomorrow and say they dont have a link to Africa, it would be silly of me to start arguing with him and trying to convince him he is from Africa

If you are from Enugu and say you are not Ibo, na your palava be that, if you are from Ibadan and even have tribal marks yet say you are not Yoruba but norwegian, na you sabi

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 10:58pm On Feb 08, 2012
osifred:

It is only the ibos dat force other pple to be dia clan men. haba we hav said we r nt part of ibo is it by force? am from Ogba in Rivers State n everyday i get to argue wit ibos abt dis. we may share certain cultural similarities buh dat doesnt mean we r ibo. tracing our ancestry history u wil discover we hav tieds with the Benin Kingdom nt ibo

nevertheless i stand to be correct if am wrong.

I reckon that ogbuehi francis ellah,tried his best to cure ogba people of this madness when he was still alive,well,the wise man is no more,and the madness has finally ravished you guys.

The goodnews is that Ogba has more to gain from igbo nation,than it has to offer,ndiigbo will not mis your backward town,ijaw people can find better things to do with it,Ogba is a landlocked bush angry
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by kizito96(m): 10:59pm On Feb 08, 2012
The Ikwere people are under identity crises, the Oguta people are also claiming to come from River State.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 11:03pm On Feb 08, 2012
pazienza:

I reckon that ogbuehi francis ellah,tried his best to cure ogba people of this madness when he was still alive,well,the wise man is no more,and the madness has finally ravished you guys.

The goodnews is that Ogba has more to gain from igbo nation,than it has to offer,ndiigbo will not mis your backward town,ijaw people can find better thing to do with it,Ogba is landlocked angry
but awori people say they no be Yoruba nah undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 11:05pm On Feb 08, 2012
patriot2:

link=topic=866064.msg10153996#msg10153996 date=1328737758]
I get your point, If anyone says he isnt something just leave him alone and dont argue

if African Americans come tomorrow and say they dont have a link to Africa, it would be silly of me to start arguing with him and trying to convince him he is from Africa

If you are from Enugu and say you are not Ibo, na your palava be that, if you are from Ibadan and even have tribal marks yet say you are not Yoruba but norwegian, na you sabi

http://lubetube.com/video/Sexy-babe-Blond-Cat-slowly-strips-on-camera
grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by bulksms247(m): 11:09pm On Feb 08, 2012
Am proudly igbo, anything igbo gathers and attracts everyone here GREAT IGBO NATION, haters knws wot to do
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 11:13pm On Feb 08, 2012
patriot2:

link=topic=866064.msg10153996#msg10153996 date=1328737758]

http://lubetube.com/video/Sexy-babe-Blond-Cat-slowly-strips-on-camera

I understand where you are coming from,igbo people have no problem with ikwerre people trying to break away from the union,after all,without them,we are still doing well,what pains most of us is the lies they keep manufacturing,in their bid to run away from their shadow.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 11:32pm On Feb 08, 2012
iiiyyyk:

ikwerre is 2 n half L G A in river state their major occupation is land selling.  Most of them are now tenants to   grin cheesy  boys in PH.  

Nigerians make una no kill igbos too much success they  worry them.

igbos remember many will out of jealousy, hate and talk you down becouse you people are the most succesful ethnic nationality in nigeria.  base on your individual hard work not from national looting

I don't agree with this,land selling is not an ikwerre thing,it happens to any group whose town become 'developed' and the value of the land becomes high.In enugu,ogui people have sold all their lands to other igbo people,further south,amechi people have sold the whole of uwani,achara layout,idaw river and now they are selling awkunanaw. Here in Aba,ngwa people have finished selling their lands to igbo people they call 'ohuhu', Onitsha have finished selling their lands to igbos they call 'nwa onye igbo',the  money from the land sales was so sweet that they went on a land grab mission in their neighbouring towns.

So,are we equally going to say that onitsha,amaechi,ogui,ngwa people are lazy people?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 11:40pm On Feb 08, 2012
dayokanu:

Co-signed.

Yorubas dont care if you are from ibadan and say you are not Yoruba, no one would fight youfor it.

Actually you would see many groups from Benin, Cuba, brazil, Sierra leone etc coming to say they are related to yoruba, Yorubas wont be going to claim them and actually fighting with them

But for Ibos its always like that.

Per your example. I have a friend whose whole family bear Ibo names like Chinyere, Ifeanyi, Nduka, Ugochukwu yet still tells me he is not Ibo that he is Ndokwa.

I have never heard any Ekiti, ilaje, Ijebu, Egba, Ijesha claim they are not Yoruba before

Huge difference

Actually No you do not. The Yoruba claim they claim they have connection with the Yoruba. You should reread the Benin thread, the Edo on NL identified that neither Yoruba nor Igbo have any connection with them, they share similar heritage, some similar words but the two main groups are not similar to them. Did you miss the actual Edo replies such as Physics, Gareth, etc on that thread? The only group whom kept speaking of the connection was Yoruba. Let stop lying to ourselves sometimes.
Cubans and Brazilians claim Yoruba identity because they are of Yoruba stock just like Dominican Republic, African-American, Jamaicans, and some Afro-Europeans claim Igbo heritage because they are of Igbo stock.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
Word on the road abi word on the street?

I don't expect you to know London slangs - with a flat head and flat brain, village Ibo man,

Word on the street = American slang
Word on the road = London slang
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 12:22am On Feb 09, 2012
I've spoken from an Igbo SS point of view on how things are over there but I noticed every word we, SS Igbo, says gets ignored and the word of non-Igbo from every region is heard. There will always be a point of confusion among SE and SS Igbo if one region refuses to listen to another region.  

To reference back to Odumchi story, I nod in agreement: Yes there are deniers from Ikwerre, just like there are deniers from Ika and deniers from other area of ND. It exists but not as high as the SE Igbo and non-Igbo claim it to be. Ever wonder to yourself why the few Ikwerre we know in the public eyes, have countlessly identified as Igbo.  If not for ak47mann reply, I wouldn't have known Julius Agwu was Ikwerre; for a while I thought he was a SE Igbo because of his uncontrollable pride of the Igbo identity. Even if an Ikwerre non-deniers comes on NL and speak on the behalf of his people, reference to you all how many are deniers and how many are not, I'll predict the future and say: every-word the person says would travel from one ear and leave the next.  Case in point Igboboy: Igboboy is an Ikwerre man from his maternal side and he's repeated the same thing I've said countless time based upon he’s interaction from his maternal sides family and Ikwerre he’s been around but una no hear am.

To eastofwest or whatever you call yourself
I don't like it when people spread lies about my people; neither do I appreciate it when bigots try to cause division between my people from our people.  Anyone whose been to Asaba would narrate to you the Igbo pride of Asabian is immense. Finding Igbo deniers among Asabaians is like finding a needle in a haystack; you are more likely to find an Igbo denier in SE than in Asaba. Lynxx, a musician I've met and spoken to and whom have also identified himself as Igbo repeatedly is whom you choose to make up lies about. Mscheww, tomorrow now story don change to Don jazzy denied Igbo.  tongue

On the topic of the Edo thread
E be like say the Yoruba did not bother reading any of the replies on that thread because I'm noticing all the reference back to it by some bigots, all una saw was Igbo.  Na wa oo!!!
The OP of the Edo thread mentioned the need or the reason for the creation of that thread was the constant dragging of Edo to West by the Yoruba on NL whenever the concept of breaking up surfaces. The topic was rather and or would have been a cultural thread that should have debunked a myth and give incite to history, it did when the Benin were the replies but it turned political and tribal bashing when other groups joined. As if I was expecting a lesser outcome.  I rather say I learned a lot, historical, from the actual Edo people on NL. Too bad the monikers and fake accounts destroyed the maturity of Edo people by claiming them.
I just noticed many of una do not realize Edo is a state that composes of many ethnic groups beside Benin.  The Esan, Afemai/Emai, Ijaw, Urhobo/Isoko, etc are also part of Edo groups and the Esan, Afemai, Emai, Ijaw and to some extent Urhobo/Isoko do not feel any connection to SW but rather to SE and have voiced it thus justifiable to the creation of the thread. He unfortunately, added Benin into that group as well to debunk to Yoruba and Edo connection myth but instead of debunking a myth, all he did was create a myth to debunk a myth.
I like how the Benin's on NL denied both group without resulting into insult.
The maturity of Benin's on NL is something to awe upon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Oba Adamson Punches, Injures Chief, Alleges Disrespect / Wuraola Otiti Before She Became Ooni Of Ife’s Queen / New Photos Of Saadatu Lamido, Emir Sanusi's Wife In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.