Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (53046 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 8:13pm On Feb 08, 2012
phreakabit:

Well thank you fraudster. . . . However still haven't answered my question, regarding what you did with the donated funds you got for your non-existing digital library for Africa.

How that one take "consain" you?

You wan attache on top another person money again?

bros i dey fear for you oo

Attache on top land, attache on top food, attache on top money

Is parasite your middle name?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by russellino: 8:27pm On Feb 08, 2012
I don't really blame the ikwerres for the ludicrous denial of heritage. They allowed their politicians divide for political power. Also ppl elechi amadi applied his skills as a writer to mess with ppl's minds
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by phreakabit(m): 8:33pm On Feb 08, 2012
dayokanu:

Quit using corny jokes as a cover up here. Answer the darn question.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by naijaking1: 8:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
russellino:

I don't really blame the ikwerres for the ludicrous denial of heritage. They allowed their politicians divide for political power. Also ppl elechi amadi applied his skills as a writer to mess with ppl's minds

That's why it's especially sad.
Otherwise, it's not uncommon for people to deny kinship to a poor man. If you're rich and popular, every Tom and Dick will want to be associated with you.  After the war, there was no question that Igbos were poor, so it paid to get as far away from being an Igbo as possible. So, intellectuals like Elechi Amadi adopted a laughably fabricated "Ikwerre history" and origin so distinct and hard to believe you'd think they fell from the moon.
So we have Rumumasi, Rumuigbo, R-amadi, R-elechi, and even R-Odili grin
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 8:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
phreakabit:

Quit using corny jokes as a cover up here. Answer the darn question.

How e take concern you is the question here. Parasite
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Henritwist(m): 8:48pm On Feb 08, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 8:49pm On Feb 08, 2012
naijaking1:

Otherwise, it's not uncommon for people to deny kinship to a poor man. If you're rich and popular, every Tom and Joystick will want to be associated with you.  After the war, there was no question that Igbos were poor, so it paid to get as far away from being an Igbo as possible. So, intellectuals like Elechi Amadi adopted a laughably fabricated "Ikwerre history" and origin so distinct and hard to believe you'd think they fell from the moon.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Henritwist(m): 8:51pm On Feb 08, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 08, 2012
Foolish topic.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by phreakabit(m): 8:56pm On Feb 08, 2012
dayokanu:

How e take concern you is the question here. Parasite

LOLZ!!!! I think I struck a nerve there. Eyah no vex ehn. LMAO!
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ekwynwa: 8:58pm On Feb 08, 2012
naijaking1:

Otherwise, it's not uncommon for people to deny kinship to a poor man. If you're rich and popular, every Tom and Joystick will want to be associated with you.  After the war, there was no question that Igbos were poor, so it paid to get as far away from being an Igbo as possible. So, intellectuals like Elechi Amadi adopted a laughably fabricated "Ikwerre history" and origin so distinct and hard to believe you'd think they fell from the moon.

Naijaking  grin grin grin grin grin
laugh wan kill me
well am not perturbed, history have a way of bouncing back
all i have for the Ikwerres is one LOVE cool
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by yarodin: 9:06pm On Feb 08, 2012
I never could understand the problem with Ikwerre people. They bear names such as Ugochukwu, Amadi, Elechi etc, but deny they are Igbos. The few Yoruba on NL saying "Na by force one must be Igbo" are also the ones that call them Igbos when they hear their names. Don't worry, when the Ijaws are ready to overrun Port Harcourt is when they will remember that they are Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
dayokanu:

Bros,how about the "digital library" wey you promise Africa
Almost peed on myself laughing at this grass eating goat!!
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 9:11pm On Feb 08, 2012
Ikwerre tribe will not add anything special to the other tribes that chose to remain in the larger igbo nation,they are not that important,you guys should stop making them feel important,of more importance are those igbo people indigenious to bonny,they are the ones we should be talking about,they can give us access to the sea,ikwerre is landlocked,Ph is not an ikwerre city now,the okirika(ijaw) people have a stake in that city now,ikwerre's  oil wells are not that much now.Left for me,they should be allowed to stay,they are not important.

Btw,can anyone tell me more about those wonderful igbo people indigenious to bonny? grin
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by eastOFwest(m): 9:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
Ok, this is probably just a topic to draw internet traffic (as usual).

However, here's the gist; Ikwere's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Ikwere language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Ikwere's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish?? To me, there are similarities between Spanish and Portuguese languages and names, and yes because their languages are all derivatives of ancient Latin and hence names.

Of course most Ikwere's understand and can speak Igbo and when they find themselves outside Rivers state they find it easy to identify and fraternize with Igbos (man must survive wink ), but when they get back home they re-affirm their Ikwere identity.

On a side note -  I was watching Tee-A the comedian interview the Nigerian singer Lynxxx (Chukie Edozien) and they were flowing as per Lagos stylee when suddenly Tee-A now jokingly said "make una no mind this guy o, the guy na Igbo man o, nnaKedu kodi". Lynxxx went out of way to emphasize "from Asaba o!, from Asaba o!".

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by dayokanu(m): 9:16pm On Feb 08, 2012
phreakabit:

LOLZ!!!! I think I struck a nerve there. Eyah no vex ehn. LMAO!

NRI PRIEST:

Bros,how about the "digital library" wey you promise Africa
Almost peed on myself laughing at this grass eating goat!!
Simple question you cant answer, How e take "consain" you?

If you wan attache inside the money make you talk instead of all these dribbling around

Just say it "I Parasite (insert name) wan chop h-inside the money"
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
Apparently, eastOFwest does not know the first thing there is to know about "Igbos".

eastOFwest:

However, here's the gist; Ikwere's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Ikwere language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Ikwere's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish??
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by member479760: 9:22pm On Feb 08, 2012
Sanchez Vicario: Parents blew fortune
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by maki(f): 9:25pm On Feb 08, 2012
pazienza:

Ikwerre tribe will not add anything special to the other tribes that chose to remain in the larger igbo nation,they are not that important,you guys should stop making them feel important,of more importance are those igbo people indigenious to bonny,they are the ones we should be talking about,they can give us access to the sea,ikwerre is landlocked,Ph is not an ikwerre city now,the okirika(ijaw) people have a stake in that city now,ikwerre's  oil wells are not that much now.Left for me,they should be allowed to stay,they are not important.

Btw,can anyone tell me more about those wonderful igbo people indigenious to bonny? grin

Dreaming shocked
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by eastOFwest(m): 9:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Apparently, eastOFwest does not know the first thing there is to know about "Igbos".

And pray tell me, what's the first thing there is to know about Igbos?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Feb 08, 2012
They and the so called CORE southerners can go to hell for all I care. We Ndigbo have enough of our problems to handle. We don't need palm wine drinkers to take us back to the stone age.

I had an Ikwerre friend called Umezuruike and he shouldn't dare call himself Igbo in my presence or he will receive back hand slap cheesy. They steal people's hard earned land. Remember the Biafra war land grab? They are never to be trusted like the yorooba's.

They would be better off in the Niger Delta republic as a minority cool.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:30pm On Feb 08, 2012
eastOFwest:

And pray tell me, what's the first thing there is to know about Igbos?

I'll explain using your own words.

"here's the gist; Ikwere's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Ikwere language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Ikwere's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish"

"here's the gist; Ngwa's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Ngwa language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Ngwa's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish"

"here's the gist; Izii's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Izii language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Izii's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish"

I could continue. . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Abagworo(m): 9:32pm On Feb 08, 2012
yarodin:

I never could understand the problem with Ikwerre people.  They bear names such as Ugochukwu, Amadi, Elechi etc, but deny they are Igbos.   The few Yoruba on NL saying "Na by force one must be Igbo" are also the ones that call them Igbos when they hear their names.    Don't worry, when the Ijaws are ready to overrun Port Harcourt is when they will remember that they are Igbos.  

My question for some people here is if they have really associated with the Ikwerres to be here analyzing the view of a people ? Let an Ikwerreman on NL come forward and present his view or better still I can present on their behalf. When Igbo developed the sense of Nationhood in the 1900s, not all Ikwerres developed that sense of Igbohood. The elites among them were the ones who had the Igbo nationality and the ones who were under Owerri division. The war was just a catalyst that precipitated an inevitable up rise stemming from a feeling of being cheated on their own land.

The pre-civil war situation was no different from what we have in Aba today where non-indigenes deliberately prevent the indigenes from positions of power and also run down the city without respect for the natives and make mockery of them. The war was an oppotunity to strike back and take back what belongs to them. Ikwerres benefited little or nothing from the abandoned property saga.It was more or less an Okrika thing. What Ikwerres wanted and still want is respect from other Igbos.

Deep in the heart of every Ikwerreman, he knows his brothers are Etche,Egbema and Southeast but that fear of a repeat of the pre-war domination is the reason it is impossible for Ikwerres to join in any Igbo organization. Of what use is it to join a union where you will be relegated to the background.

Ikwerres were victims of the abandoned property just like the other Igbos. The case of Amadiama,Ogbum nu Abali, Orogbum is a very open one in the Trans Amadi area. Most Igbos got back their properties in Diobu.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by eastOFwest(m): 9:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I'll explain using your own words.

"here's the gist; Ikwere's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Ikwere language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Ikwere's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish"

"here's the gist; Ngwa's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Ngwa language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Ngwa's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish"

"here's the gist; Izii's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Izii language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Izii's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish"

I could continue. . . .

Going by your analogy - Nigerians, Ghanaians and Sierra Leonians speak English and bear English names, therefore we are English? Forget the language and name thing, investigate the culture and traditions. People might acquire names and lingua by close association or by being dominated.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 9:39pm On Feb 08, 2012
eastOFwest:

Ok, this is probably just a topic to draw internet traffic (as usual).

However, here's the gist; Ikwere's are Igbo-like, BUT THEY ARE NOT IGBO. Ikwere language and names are similar to Igbo's but they have cultures and traditions that are not related to Igbo's. To say Ikwere's are Igbo is like saying Portuguese are Spanish?? To me, there are similarities between Spanish and Portuguese languages and names, and yes because their languages are all derivatives of ancient Latin and hence names.

Of course most Ikwere's understand and can speak Igbo and when they find themselves outside Rivers state they find it easy to identify and fraternize with Igbos (man must survive wink ), but when they get back home they re-affirm their Ikwere identity.

On a side note -  I was watching Tee-A the comedian interview the Nigerian singer Lynxxx (Chukie Edozien) and they were flowing as per Lagos stylee when suddenly Tee-A now jokingly said "make una no mind this guy o, the guy na Igbo man o, nnaKedu kodi". Lynxxx went out of way to emphasize "from Asaba o!, from Asaba o!".

Igbo is not a tribe,igbo is a nation,a form of a union,with many tribes,just like the biblical israel nation with twelve tribes,ikwerre is like judah tribe,which later became on its own with it's own king,together with the benjamin tribe,while the rest of isreal still stayed united, for some reasons,ikwerre is no longer part of the greater igbo nation,but saying that ikwerre is similar to igbo will be like saying that judah is similar to isreal,u can only compare judah to any tribe within the isreal nation and not to isreal,the same way u can only compare ikwerre to any tribe within the igbo nation and not with the igbo nation as a whole

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
maki:

Dreaming  shocked
How? Is it not the same Asimini, first King of Bonny, that some Bonny have said was an Ngwa man? Was Opara Ndoli (along with others, also Ngwa) not among those who migrated with the founders to from what is now Ndoki? So which one now na the dream?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by iiiyyyk(m): 9:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
shymmex:

Word on the road is that Ikwerre don't want to associate themselves with Ibos because Ibos are LOSERS

You lost the war dammit grin

I don't blame them, I wouldn't if I was in their shoes - you lost the WAR cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

You are the biggest fool of the 21st century.  you ve just let the world know you are a coward.

If you can read go and check the history of USA and EUROPE as a whole, check the number of wars they fought, check those that lose and those that won at different times and tell me if your nigeria is better than any of them.

Aristotle said " it is better to fight a losing battle while fighting for a just course than to die in passive silence.

as the coward you and your forefathers are, that is y you post on this tread with multiply  id.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Henritwist(m): 9:42pm On Feb 08, 2012
greedy igbos, ikwerrans are nt igbo and can never b igbo. Y do u pple dnt allow ikwerri 2 rest, there must b a hiden agenda. Is ur land nt milk nd fertile? Then wat is ur problem. Enough of all dis
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Afam4eva(m): 9:44pm On Feb 08, 2012
@eastofwest
You people have to understand that just as Ikwerre has it's own unique culture(names, food etc) different from the greater Igbos, so does Ngwa, Owerri, Asaba, Onitsha and co have their own unique culture. Or are you insinuating that all Igbos in the south-east speak alike?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
eastOFwest:

Going by your analogy - Nigerians, Ghanaians and Sierra Leonians speak English and bear English names, therefore we are English? Forget the language and name thing, investigate the culture and traditions. People might acquire names and lingua by close association or by being dominated.
Your response indicates that you did not understand the picture I painted, when I quoted your own words. Go back and re-read what I quoted from you. After you do that, take a second look at my anology, and then based off of it, ask yourself one simple question: what do "Igbos" have in common?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
afam4eva:

@eastofwest
You people have to understand that just as Ikwerre has it's own unique culture(names, food etc) different from the greater Igbos, so does Ngwa, Owerri, Asaba, Onitsha and co have their own unique culture. Or are you insinuating that all Igbos in the south-east speak alike?
NO. He will never get it, unless he comes to the understanding himself. Don't serve it to him on an open platter.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by pazienza(m): 9:48pm On Feb 08, 2012
Henritwist:

greedy igbos, ikwerrans are nt igbo and can never b igbo. Y do u pple dnt allow ikwerri 2 rest, there must b a hiden agenda. Is ur land nt milk nd fertile? Then wat is ur problem. Enough of all dis
pazienza:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Oba Adamson Punches, Injures Chief, Alleges Disrespect / Wuraola Otiti Before She Became Ooni Of Ife’s Queen / How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.