Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language (2922 Views)

Why Can't His Joystick Penetrate Me Fully? / Will You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? Men Speak / Why Can't Single People 'Just Say No' To Married People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by JallowBah(f): 10:18pm On Jul 27, 2012
Fhemmmy: Cos there is no time to teach them

If you spend time woth your own kids during the day, and TALK with them, they will learn.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by JallowBah(f): 10:21pm On Jul 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Will give it a try and if it no work, i will come back to you and Nijababe . . . .

When you tel them to come for you, do it in your own language.
When you ask if their hungry, do it in your own language.
When you ask if they want water/are thirsty, do it in your own language.
Teach them how to answer yes or no. Point at things and say "see/look there" in your own language.

My kid understands more fulani than norwegian, and shes growing up in Norway..her dad talks to her as if she was a full-fulani,, knowing she will learn. And she does.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 10:53pm On Jul 27, 2012
JallowBah:

If you spend time woth your own kids during the day, and TALK with them, they will learn.

During the day, how many father are home during the day?
However, i do agree with every other suggestion and will surely give it a try
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 10:54pm On Jul 27, 2012
JallowBah:

When you tel them to come for you, do it in your own language.
When you ask if their hungry, do it in your own language.
When you ask if they want water/are thirsty, do it in your own language.
Teach them how to answer yes or no. Point at things and say "see/look there" in your own language.

My kid understands more fulani than norwegian, and shes growing up in Norway..her dad talks to her as if she was a full-fulani,, knowing she will learn. And she does.

Will give it a honest trial
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by meyri: 10:57pm On Jul 27, 2012
A child learning a language depends on how often the parent speak it to them. If the parent is not speaking a language and the child not hearing it then the child will not have the lang. skill. So there no special or formal thing to do to learn any lang. everything starts with a day to day conversion.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by JallowBah(f): 1:00am On Jul 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

During the day, how many father are home during the day?
However, i do agree with every other suggestion and will surely give it a try

So..you NEVER see your kids during the day when they are awake? You go when they are sleeping, come home when they are sleeping?
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 1:03am On Jul 28, 2012
JallowBah:

So..you NEVER see your kids during the day when they are awake? You go when they are sleeping, come home when they are sleeping?

For me there is Day, there Evening and Night, Day is work time except weekends . . . tongue
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by JallowBah(f): 1:07am On Jul 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

For me there is Day, there Evening and Night, Day is work time except weekends . . . tongue

I work in the daytime too, but I still se my daughter in the afternoon/evening..
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2012
...Because we parents converse in English.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by JallowBah(f): 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2012
Siena: ...Because we parents converse in English.

That does not mean you cant talk your own language to the kids?
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 28, 2012
JallowBah:

That does not mean you cant talk your own language to the kids?

No. It means it's my choice not to, same way it was my parent's choice to converse with myself and my sisters in English.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by JallowBah(f): 7:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
Siena:

No. It means it's my choice not to, same way it was my parent's choice to converse with myself and my sisters in English.

You dont believe it is important to carry on native tongue-languages?
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Tiana155(f): 8:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
Please some of us have read and commented on this issue, we should try as much as possible to learn our language and pass it on to our kids it is impotant, It does't make your kids local or anything. I suffered this and thank God i married a man from my tribe who is teaching us the language (my kid and I). So please dont just let them learn only english language.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 28, 2012
JallowBah:

You dont believe it is important to carry on native tongue-languages?

I don't believe it's important to us. I'm not knocking those that feel it's absolutely necessary though, just saying the way I was brought up, and the way we're bringing up our kids works just fine for us.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 2:47am On Jul 29, 2012
JallowBah:

I work in the daytime too, but I still se my daughter in the afternoon/evening..

That is really nice . . . tongue
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 2:49am On Jul 29, 2012
Siena:

I don't believe it's important to us. I'm not knocking those that feel it's absolutely necessary though, just saying the way I was brought up, and the way we're bringing up our kids works just fine for us.

Gbammmmm . . .Besides, we live in a time where so many things have replaced a lot of other things.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Afam4eva(m): 3:00am On Jul 29, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Gbammmmm . . .Besides, we live in a time where so many things have replaced a lot of other things.
You're right. I hope it will be ok if your kid decides to turn gay because it's one of the things that have replaced a lot of other things.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 3:30am On Jul 29, 2012
afam4eva:
You're right. I hope it will be ok if your kid decides to turn gay because it's one of the things that have replaced a lot of other things.

There are some things some people say that out of respect, i refused to respond to, i see this as one . . . God Bless.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Afam4eva(m): 3:37am On Jul 29, 2012
Fhemmmy:

There are some things some people say that out of respect, i refused to respond to, i see this as one . . . God Bless.
God bless you too.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 29, 2012
afam4eva:

Bro, you surprise me. How does the above correlate to the topic being discussed?
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by UncleJJ(m): 1:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
X
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by UncleJJ(m): 1:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
This story get as e be. Yes, its true speaking the language is important . But, just because an ibo man cant speak ibo - it does not change the fact that he is ibo.

Blood is thicker than water.

I fall into this category... My father is an edo man with a chieftancy title and my old woman is frm Anambra state ( late father"s an ichie).

But, I cant speak either . However, I speak stupendously fluent "hausa". I learnt this from my house help. Funny enough my mum speaks my father"s dialect quite well.

Its weird sometimes but truth as my uncle once said to me regarding this wahala- my son ur language will not feed ur wife and children.

But, afterall - I"d proly gt hitched to a mixed breed like myself.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Afam4eva(m): 1:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
UncleJJ: This story get as e be. Yes, its true speaking the language is important . But, just because an ibo man cant speak ibo - it does not change the fact that he is ibo.

Blood is thicker than water.

I fall into this category... My father is an edo man with a chieftancy title and my old woman is frm Anambra state ( late father"s an ichie).

But, I cant speak either . However, I speak stupendously fluent "hausa". I learnt this from my house help. Funny enough my mum speaks my father"s dialect quite well.

Its weird sometimes but truth as my uncle once said to me regarding this wahala- my son ur language will not feed ur wife and children.

But, afterall - I"d proly gt hitched to a mixed breed like myself.
Your own case get as e be. You leave Igbo and Edo go dey learn aboki language. It's okay.

Even some people that were born in the 70s and 80s cannot speak their parents Language then just imagine what it will be like in future with the ones born In the 90s and the new millenium. The future is really bleak.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 29, 2012
Because the parents don't teach them
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
We speak Igbo to them
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 12:54am On Jul 30, 2012
Siena:

Bro, you surprise me. How does the above correlate to the topic being discussed?

Chief, that is why i chose not to respond to such statement.
It amazes me that they made sound as if language is all that our culture is all about, there are so many Nigerians in Nigeria that speaks the language and even so much different tongues and yet they dont dig the culture . . . We have great culture and i have nothing wrong in teaching the kids, thus my acceptance of the model of teaching by some of the forumites.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need To Learn How To Respect A Man. / 'i'm Married To Only One Woman & We Still Share Same Bed 43 Years Later" - Alake / Yummy & Nutritous.Soyabeans, Gnut And Crayfish For Babies and Toddlers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.