Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,809 members, 7,810,110 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble (15776 Views)

Never Seen Pictures Of Ojukwu's Burial / Ta Orji Disgraced At Aba During Ojukwu Burial Rites / Ojukwu’s Burial: S’east, S’south To Be Closed Down, As Uwazuruike Blasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by macjive01: 9:58pm On Feb 19, 2012
. , , . . . . The burial plan which had initially been disrupted by the fuel price hike protests and industrial action would now go unhindered, except maybe by such national occurrence, or an act of God.
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOnCFWLS_7bFy0YMmiW9VSwe6jyMuUrRWhb8ixoxZ__FTrdpqf[/img]

So far, the burial committee headed by retired Justice Chukwudifu Oputa may not be operating with the initial enthusiasm with which it took off. Fingers point to the talk that apart from Governor Peter Obi of Anambra, Ojukwu's home state, other South East governors may have held back from financial commitment.

The reported initial financial outlay of N500 million proposed to offset bills associated with the burial may at the end be borne by Anambra State alone. This comes as other states may have developed cold feet over rumours of some people angling to feather their nest from the fund.

It is said that the governors instead prefer to organise and finance their own burial plan as it affects their respective states while coordinating with the national burial committee.

It is said that they felt more at ease dolling out fund to an internal committee of their own which they could easily muster control over while pruning down their budget.

As a result of this, Governor Obi was said to have asked the committee to downsize the budget to stand between N100-N150 million to make it easier for his state to handle alone.

Disruption started to manifest even at the formative stage of the national burial committee when it was said that agitation from some groups and individuals led to some nominees of some governors being asked to stand down for others.

Though this was smoothly papered over, veiling it from public glare, its aftermath may be the said ambivalence of the governors to cooperate fully with the committee.

The four South East governors who were said to have backed out surprisingly include Owelle Rochas Okorocha, who apart from Obi is the other governor of the All Progressives Grand Alliance Party (APGA) from Imo State.

Ojukwu, until his death was the national leader of the party. Other governors are Sullivan Chime of Enugu State, Theodore Orji of Abia State, and Martin Elechi of Ebonyi State, all of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Trouble was said to have started when an interim burial committee made up of state governments' representatives was initially set up by the governors with a mandate to device a framework for a substantive burial committee.

Even before they could submit any report on that, a jostle has ensued over who would be the chairman, deputy chairman and secretary of the committee, . . . . . . . .

read the full article here

http://www.igbolandforum.com/index.php?topic=1026.0
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Osiris211: 10:15pm On Feb 19, 2012
They can arrogantly claimed that he was a hero on the pages of internet, but in reality he is like a tissue paper and cow dung. Poor sod can't even have a decent burial. What a shame!
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by macjive01: 10:32pm On Feb 19, 2012
Osiris.211:

They can arrogantly claimed that he was a hero on the pages of internet, but in reality he is like a tissue paper and cow dung. Poor sod can't even have a decent burial. What a shame!

Osiris why are u such a nasty person, Ojukwu is revere in Igboland, i posted this just to show how greedy, and selfishness, and our general inadequacy in common organization not for u to tell us what a cheap 10 kobo community slut your mother is.

This is not just Igbo problem, even the National hosted African games, still wasnt organized properly.

common, national award, it is always the case that u get more people than the medal, which now bring to the minds, did someone actually sit down to organize/ plan this?

which is probably yes, then, what was his priority during the planning? himself or the actual event?
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 10:38pm On Feb 19, 2012
This is why I am a strong advocate of a cultural revolution in Igboland to expel all these strange greedy and self serving political culture which was not there in Igboland before creation of "states in 1967.
Believe me, if this was how our fathers behaved, Biafra would not have lasted more than one week.
These "states" have remained what they were intended to be (by Gowon)- an evil stratagem to keep people divided in Nigeria.
Shame on these "states"! angry angry cry
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 10:42pm On Feb 19, 2012
And this is why I remain strongly opposed to these "states" and more state creation.
It creates idiotic and laughable groups which turn brothers into strangers and enemies.

I will remain opposed to more state creation in Nigeria.
What we need in the East is amalgamation of states back to where they were before Gowon struck in 1967.

If we had one state in SE for instance, this issue would never have arisen.
Nonsense! angry

Anyway, gotta go for now.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Ojiofor: 10:45pm On Feb 19, 2012
How are u different from the person u are trying to admonish when u know that vultures like her will feed on ur useless thread.That fake news have been online since last week.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by nduchucks: 10:51pm On Feb 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

And this is why I remain strongly opposed to these "states" and more state creation.
It creates idiotic and laughable groups which turn brothers into strangers and enemies.

What we need in the East is amalgamation of states back to where they were before Gowon struck in 1967.

Nonsense!  angry

Eze nwanne m, Assuming this report is true, you people need to learn how to take responsibility for your failures. You are shamelessly blaming states (geographical expressions) for your inability to arrange a befitting Funeral for the great Ikemba, ko? Whatever happened to the people who live in those states? Aren't they and their leaders to blame for the current burial troubles? SMH.  As they say, you can remove you people from the bush, but you cannot remove the bush from you. Even if the states are gone and you remain Eastern region, you will still be lead by the same incompetent fools who cannot even arrange to honour the greatest son of the land.

Lets hope the Army will take complete control, logistical and financial, of the burial, before people like Onlytruth Bleep it up. olodo
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by macjive01: 10:58pm On Feb 19, 2012
As my friend would always tell me, Nigeria will never progress meaningfully till we let folks that schooled and worked Abroad- (Britain and America only) take hem of affairs.

We as a nation don't know what organization is. even if the federal govt, UN , World bank was to give them huge financial assistance the disorganization will still be the case.

IT IS TIME TO LET THE YOUNG EDUCATED ONES TAKE CHARGE. 2012 oputta is still making himself available to organizing events.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Osiris211: 11:01pm On Feb 19, 2012
loads of loud mouths have constantly bombarded us with false progression on how the "hero" would be buried. Some went ahead to claim the whole country could be shut down due the greatest burial of all time in Nigerias history.

Altogether the unwinding events is pointing to a similar trail followed by Ojukwu's rejections at the poll when he contested under APGA. Thus, This to me is just a attestation of how worthless he was and will continue to be. The eye service and empty chest beating which is the hall mark of most south easterner is shamefully scripted into this supposedly greatest burial of the warlord. Bragging alone cant put the events on CNN or Ovation.

500 million naira should be a change to some eastern business moguls, so i wonder where the cold feet dragging is coming from. Only if the spending does not worth the efforts.

What a shame!

BTW, If you dont like my comment then you shouldn't have posted the article here.
macjive01:

Osiris why are u such a nasty person, Ojukwu is revere in Igboland, i posted this just to show how greedy, and selfishness, and our general inadequacy in common organization not for u to tell us what a cheap 10 kobo community slut your mother is.

This is not just Igbo problem, even the National hosted African games, still wasnt organized properly.

common, national award, it is always the case that u get more people than the medal, which now bring to the minds, did someone actually sit down to organize/ plan this?

which is probably yes, then, what was his priority during the planning? himself or the actual event?

Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by tpia5: 11:12pm On Feb 19, 2012
No offence but imo swesterners should be included in the burial committee or even allowed to organize the whole thing.

Nothing personal- just that they're good at stuff like that.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Osiris211: 11:19pm On Feb 19, 2012
Sorry to burst your bubbles and spit on your little ego.

We require more convincing post than this failed attempts to cover the utterly shameful development brewing out. Finally, your tiny bigotry capability wont help you swim past the murky waters by merely pointing at your usual scape goat. If i should try to reason very daftly as you, Gowon is the reason why the whole south east wont be able to put forward 500 million for Ojukwu's burial? what a shame!

Onlytruth:

Nonsense! angry

Onlytruth:

This is why I am a strong advocate of a cultural revolution in Igboland to expel all these strange greedy and self serving political culture which was not there in Igboland before creation of "states in 1967.
Believe me, if this was how our fathers behaved, Biafra would not have lasted more than one week.
These "states" have remained what they were intended to be (by Gowon)- an evil stratagem to keep people divided in Nigeria.
Shame on these "states"! angry angry cry
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by dayokanu(m): 11:37pm On Feb 19, 2012
Na wa oo

When it comes to political gains they would be quick to brandish the name of Ojukwu

But to give him a befitting burial, they are tossing him around like a leper.

I heard 3000 miscreants gathered in Enugu to make noise about some alliance in honour of Ojukwu.
If each of those 3000 useless noisemaking thugs contribute ordinary 200k each that is more than enough

rather they would choose to play politics with the name of Ojukwu

If I want to contest elections in Iboland all I need to do is shout Ojukwus name but when it comes to honouring the great Ikemba no one would be seen
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 1:02am On Feb 20, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Eze nwanne m, Assuming this report is true, you people need to learn how to take responsibility for your failures. You are shamelessly blaming states (geographical expressions) for your inability to arrange a befitting Funeral for the great Ikemba, ko? Whatever happened to the people who live in those states? Aren't they and their leaders to blame for the current burial troubles? SMH.  As they say, you can remove you people from the bush, but you cannot remove the bush from you. Even if the states are gone and you remain Eastern region, you will still be lead by the same incompetent fools who cannot even arrange to honour the greatest son of the land.

Lets hope the Army will take complete control, logistical and financial, of the burial, before people like Onlytruth bleep it up. olodo

My friend, go hump a goat as usual.  cool

The Nigerian states are like unity-devouring-cancers created by Gowon as a military strategy. It's origin as a military strategy makes it an evil legacy of Gowon. Notice how the states were created- THEY WERE SIMPLY ANNOUNCED by the Gowon junta; no consultation, no constitutional conference, no referendum: Just a military FIAT.
It was purely a military strategy, nothing more. Unfortunately for Nigeria, subsequence Northern military leaders simply continued creating more states without remembering how the first groups of states came into being. It is like getting a snake into one of your rooms to kill and eat the rats there, and then doing the same for ALL your rooms, forgeting that the snake is still a venomous animal. Suddenly the snakes start killing your children, and you act surprised!
The point is that you should NEVER have introduced snakes as part of your strategy to rid your home of ordinary rats; stuff you can even live with if you make litle adjustments.
You introduced snakes because you are a wicked human being to start with.

Back to this issue now.

This is the reason why these governors failed to empower the South East Nigeria Economic Commission. They were busy defending their stoopid useless states' interests.
This is why we have no investment corporation for the SE like we had before the war.
This is the reason Gov Orji of Abia state woke up to kick other Igbo out of his state's civil service.
This issue will continue to destroy whatever common goals we may have to emancipate ourselves from the evil Nigerian dungeon.
This is why groups like MASSOB may soon enjoy more legitimacy in Igboland, than any idiotic state governors.
Uwazuruike would soon be accorded more voice and followership in Igboland than all these petty minded morons parading as governors of the SE states.
They should continue with their idiocy.
Ojukwu's burial will be the beginning of this power shift in Igboland.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Seunn11: 1:03am On Feb 20, 2012
the Aworis, Edos, Beroms, Itshekiri, Ijaws, and Jews have been helping with the expenses.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by AndreUweh(m): 1:10am On Feb 20, 2012
tpia@:

No offence but imo swesterners should be included in the burial committee or even allowed to organize the whole thing.

Your opinion is laudable, but because the Yorubas may not understand the traditions of the Nnewi people, they will struggle. Most Southwesterners do not understand Igbo peoples ways of life and as a result I ordered the expulsion of two southwesterners from a party hall in S.E London about two years ago. Reason, they were making noises during a blessing of kolanut ritual at Igbo end of year party.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 1:12am On Feb 20, 2012
tpia@:

I laughed when I read this because , here is another point of view by (I hear he is one of yours):

But the Yoruba people are nowhere in these frameworks of human interaction. [b]Wherever you find two or three Yoruba people, the words and phrases ‘order’, ‘intelligent disagreement’, ‘orderly agreement or disagreement’, and ‘rational disobedience’ are often lacking because the Yoruba people are not cut out to exist in civilized relationships. They are worst than the beasts and lions in the wild because their culture is a culture rooted in anarchy. Even if they go through many years of training in either military or academic institutions, the Yoruba people are still worse than the beasts in the wild. Ekiti is a perfect example here.

Ekiti is supposedly a state in Yoruba South West where every Yoruba therein has a PhD or an advanced degree from an institution of higher learning. Ekiti is like the city of Boulder in Colorado or like Iowa City in the state of Iowa, where every person is associated with an institution of higher learning. Yet, Ekiti is the center and hub of deadly, machete-wielding thugs, who will never allow an election or peaceful gathering to take place. All the politicians therein maintain groups of deadly gangs as the only means of winning elections or governing the state. Ekiti produced the likes Peter Ayodele Fayose who has a PhD and yet believes and acts as if having a name like Hussein Obama makes Obama a terrorist. By virtue of his PhD, you would think that Peter Fayose is a free-thinking man who uses his brain to analyze and solve problems rather than looking to command and order other people around. But no, the norms of his Yoruba culture are so ingrained in his being that governing by consent or disagreement means nothing to him. This is why he had to murder a journalist simply for asking him questions. Today, he is still one of the forces to be reckoned with in Ekiti politics - because the Yoruba culture considers murder and murderers as the essential ingredients of government and of running the affairs of their masses. Whatever holds in Ekiti is also true in all other Yoruba states.[/b]

So, these are the people to organise Ojukwu's burial?
Abegi.  embarassed
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by AndreUweh(m): 1:15am On Feb 20, 2012
the southwesterners can only come as observers
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by aljharem(m): 1:17am On Feb 20, 2012
Andre Uweh:

the southwesterners can only come as observers

Why ?. You talk of Igbo tradition but yet are Igbos not human being.

Andre my friend Brother, If SW want to help out, then try to accept them. Stop being arrogant.

Same with other regions
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 1:21am On Feb 20, 2012
alj harem:

Andre my friend Brother, If SW want to help out, then try to accept them. Stop being arrogant.

Same with other regions

My friend nobody is stopping anyone from offering a helping hand, just make sure that the hand is actually helpful.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by AndreUweh(m): 1:23am On Feb 20, 2012
alj harem:

Same with other regions
@Uche, even Nnewi people are capable of organising a befitting burial for Ikemba. But in this case, it is not only Nnewi nor Anambra state but the entire Eastern region. It is enough and even overcrowded. No more support from our western Nigerian friends.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by aljharem(m): 1:26am On Feb 20, 2012
Onlytruth:

My friend nobody is stopping anyone from offering a helping hand, just make sure that the hand is actually helpful.

I don't know Eze ndigbo but in as much as we do our tribal bashing on NL etc. Always remember that no group dislike each other. It is all based on individuality.

The north has offered to help because Ojukwu was a Nigerian and indeed Igbos holding an important part of our country MUST be respected and if that means proper burial of Ojukwu, then so be it.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by aljharem(m): 1:27am On Feb 20, 2012
Andre Uweh:

@Uche, even Nnewi people are capable of organising a befitting burial for Ikemba. But in this case, it is not only Nnewi nor Anambra state but the entire Eastern region. It is enough and even overcrowded. No more support from our western Nigerian friends.

LOL it is not only western friend but also the north. Moreover the burial site might be in Nnewi but the ceremony could be in other parts.

BTW, are you still in Nigeria or London ?
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by AndreUweh(m): 1:30am On Feb 20, 2012
alj harem:

LOL it is not only western friend but also the north. Moreover the burial site might be in Nnewi but the ceremony could be in other parts.

BTW, are you still in Nigeria or London ?
The whole thing is too over-crowded. No more help fron the South west and the far north.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by nduchucks: 1:46am On Feb 20, 2012
Onlytruth:

Back to this issue now.

This is the reason why these governors failed to empower the South East Nigeria Economic Commission. They were busy defending their stoopid useless states' interests.
This is why we have no investment corporation for the SE like we had before the war.
This is the reason Gov Orji of Abia state woke up to kick other Igbo out of his state's civil service.
This issue will continue to destroy whatever common goals we may have to emancipate ourselves from the evil Nigerian dungeon.
This is why groups like MASSOB may soon enjoy more legitimacy in Igboland, than any idiotic state governors.
Uwazuruike would soon be accorded more voice and followership in Igboland than all these petty minded morons parading as governors of the SE states.
They should continue with their idiocy.
Ojukwu's burial will be the beginning of this power shift in Igboland.

Eze nwannem, you sir are an olodo. What power shift? The main problem you and your likes have is that you don't know how to follow rules - your expertise is in breaking them. You have to participate in the democratic process to orchestrate a legitimate power shift in  Igboland.  Unfortunately, you are calling for power to be shifted to MASSOB and are working towards an illegal political process. Pray tell, will MASSOB take over APGA, PDP, or ACN? Abi MASSOB will form a new party?  You people are well advised to learn how civilized people play the political game.

Ikemba headed APGA, can't you people take advantage of his style? You people will end up in jail where you belong as soon as you start your secession/biafra  cry again. I'm sorry for you and your ignorant lot, buddy. Dalu o.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by ektbear: 2:03am On Feb 20, 2012
Wow.

So all of this "Ojukwu is our hero" stuff you all have made was a fraud and a lie?

If I hear one of you ever bring up his name again, I will give you a dirty slap through the internet.
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 2:13am On Feb 20, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Eze nwannem, you sir are an olodo. What power shift? The main problem you and your likes have is that you don't know how to follow rules - your expertise is in breaking them. You have to participate in the democratic process to orchestrate a legitimate power shift in  Igboland.  Unfortunately, you are calling for power to be shifted to MASSOB and are working towards an illegal political process. Pray tell, will MASSOB take over APGA, PDP, or ACN? Abi MASSOB will form a new party?  You people are well advised to learn how civilized people play the political game.

Ikemba headed APGA, can't you people take advantage of his style? You people will end up in jail where you belong as soon as you start your secession/biafra  cry again. I'm sorry for you and your ignorant lot, buddy. Dalu o.

Obviously I never expected a simpleton to understand that REAL POWER belongs to the people. lol
All that would become apparent soon. Why it hasn't happened sooner is because MASSOB has remained non-violent.
But even at that, soon it would be clear to any sane Igbo that we can never moved forward in a cage created by Gowon.

The truth is that three are three groups of Igbo out there:

(1) Those who believe in Nigeria as is (about 5%)
(2) Those who want Nigeria restructured for justice and peace (about 45%)
(3) Those who want Nigeria to be totally disintegrated and for Biafra to become a nation separate from Nigeria (about 50%)

I tend to belong to the second group most times but my innermost wisdom tells me that last group has a more solid position.
For as long as I remain Eze Ndigbo here, I would TRY HARDEST to stay with the second group.  I will DEFINITELY join the last group if I dont see changes in Nigeria.  cool cool cool
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Lasinoh: 2:20am On Feb 20, 2012
So much for 10-star general status burial.
So no money to bury 'wuru-wuru'? grin
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by nduchucks: 2:30am On Feb 20, 2012
Onlytruth:

Obviously I never expected a simpleton to understand that REAL POWER belongs to the people. lol
All that would become apparent soon. Why it hasn't happened sooner is because MASSOB has remained non-violent.
But even at that, soon it would be clear to any sane Igbo that we can never moved forward in a cage created by Gowon.

The truth is that three are three groups of Igbo out there:

(1) Those who believe in Nigeria as is (about 5%)
(2) Those who want Nigeria restructured for justice and peace (about 45%)
(3) Those who want Nigeria to be totally disintegrated and for Biafra to become a nation separate from Nigeria (about 50%)

I tend to belong to the second group most times but my innermost wisdom tells me that last group has a more solid position.
For as long as I remain Eze Ndigbo here, I would TRY HARDEST to stay with the second group.  I will DEFINITELY join the last group if I dont see changes in Nigeria.  cool cool cool

Eze Ndigbo Gburugburu maramma, you are forgiven because you belong to the second group you described above. I sincerely hope that you indeed believe your statement that power belongs to the people and NOT to MASSOB!! Lest I start to think that you are speaking from all 3 sides of your mouth. At least you are not a hopeless secessionist. Dalu o, make I go sleep. smiley
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 2:40am On Feb 20, 2012
^^

Abeg go to sleep. I hate talking to sleepwalkers. wink
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by HighChief4(m): 2:51am On Feb 20, 2012
This is story is fake and has long been debunked. It first came up about two weeks ago or so. Nigeria media must do anything to sell. Pathetic
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by DuduNegro: 3:33am On Feb 20, 2012
This story is what led some people to go beg Gej and see if NA will take over the cost of burying Ojukwu. They were afraid the burial may be postponed again due to disagreements.

Anyway,,
Lets hope the Army will take complete control, logistical and financial, of the burial, before people like Onlytruth bleep it up. olodo

. . . . _chuks, give me the break down, I dont see fuji entertainment there. Is Army paying for owanbe or not?

Musiwa, abeg bring satellite picture of Nnewi to see which streets will be blocked and how canopies will be arranged. Ibo people sabi bury snuff for nose but dem no sabi bury VIP for ground. yeye people! angry
Re: Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble by EkoIle1: 4:06am On Feb 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

Wow.

So all of this "Ojukwu is our hero" stuff you all have made was a fraud and a lie?

If I hear one of you ever bring up his name again, I will give you a dirty slap through the internet.

What else is new with ibo people? Even dead body no fit come in between them and their money.

Do you realy expect anything meaningful and dignified to come out of this shameful fiasco?

Almost 2 decades after ZIK's death, his resting place is still crap and reptiles sanctuary and these shallow loud mouths are yet to raise a finger to give their so called Hero a decent resting place.

You really can not take these people seriously because there is nothing beneath their shallow rhetoric.

You just have to feel sorry for them,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mike Akhigbe Is Not Dead. / FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year / Wike: How APC-Led Federal Government Is Plotting To Rig 2023 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.