Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court (9584 Views)

London Court Registers N99 Billion Judgment Against Nigerian Military / Suspect Responsible For Nyanya, Kuje Blasts Pleads Guilty / Efcc Slams Sylva With Money Laundering Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Rossikk(m): 10:30pm On Feb 27, 2012
engineerd said

The Black race continues to be the laughing stock of the world. Like someone pointed out, apart from the natural resources Africa has, we do not contribute anything to the rest of the world. Its so sad! I mean this guy who couldn't get a job as a store clerk in Britain becoming the governor of a state is just ridiculous to say the least. I wish Nigeria the best, Its a curse to be black!

It is you and your entire useless, worthless family that are cursed.

Leave the rest of us out of it.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 27, 2012
Rossikk:

engineerd said

You are a fvkin gorilla! Your mom was obviously r aped by a monkey. nitwit!
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 10:43pm On Feb 27, 2012
Rossikk:

engineerd said

who the fvk are u fvkin i mbecile!
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 27, 2012
I ask for life imprisonment for him!
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by gohome: 10:52pm On Feb 27, 2012
Nigeria ex-Delta state governor James Ibori guilty plea

James Ibori bought one London mansion for £2.2m in cash, police say
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Nigeria country profile
James Ibori, a former governor of one of Nigeria's oil-producing states, has pleaded guilty in a UK court to 10 counts of money-laundering and conspiracy to defraud.

British police accuse him of stealing $250m (£160m) over eight years.

The prosecutor called him a "thief in government house".

Ibori, once seen as one of Nigeria's wealthiest and most influential politicians, was arrested in 2010 in Dubai and then extradited to London.

Some $35m of his alleged UK assets were frozen in 2007.

As his trial at London's Southwark Crown Court was about to begin, Mr Ibori changed his plea to guilty and admitted stealing money from Delta state and laundering it in London through a number of offshore companies.

Start Quote

We will now be actively seeking the confiscation of all of his stolen assets so they can be repatriated for the benefit of the people of Delta state”

Paul Whatmore
Metropolitan Police
The BBC's Chris Summers says between 20 and 30 of Mr Ibori's supporters turned up to court - some wearing T-shirts with the slogan "Free Ibori". There was not enough room for them all in the public gallery.

Prosecuting QC Sasha Wass said Mr Ibori, 53, had "tricked" his way into becoming Delta state governor, by giving a false date of birth and claiming he had no criminal record.

"He was never the legitimate governor and there was effectively a thief in government house. As the pretender of that public office, he was able to plunder Delta state's wealth and hand out patronage."

He is due to be sentenced on 16 April.

'Lavish lifestyle'
Ibori's wife, Theresa, his sister, Christine, his mistress, Udoamaaka Okoronkwo, and his London solicitor, Bhadresh Gohil, have all been convicted of money-laundering.

Their convictions could only be reported on Monday after reporting restrictions were lifted.

The rise and fall of James Ibori

1958: Born in Delta state, UK police believe, saying he previously lied about his age
1980s: Moved to UK
1991: Convicted of stealing from DIY shop Wickes
1992: Convicted of credit card fraud
1993-4: Allies himself to Nigeria's then military ruler Sani Abacha
1999: Elected Delta state governor
2007: Stepped down as governor
2007: UK assets worth $35m frozen
December 2007: Arrested in Nigeria on corruption charges
2009: Nigeria court dismisses charges
April 2010: Ibori's supporters attack police as they try to arrest him
May 2010: Arrested in Dubai
2011: Extradited to UK
2012: Pleads guilty to money-laundering in London court
How a thief almost became president
Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had asked the UK's Metropolitan Police to look into the ex-governor's financial affairs.

"The vast sums of money involved were used to fund Mr Ibori's lavish lifestyle," Detective Inspector Paul Whatmore, the officer in charge of the investigation, said.

"We will now be actively seeking the confiscation of all of his stolen assets so they can be repatriated for the benefit of the people of Delta State."

He said that the money Ibori stole should have been used to pay for sanitation, power supplies and healthcare for some of the poorest people in the world.

Ibori spent some of the stolen money buying six houses in London - he paid £2.2m in cash for one Hampstead mansion - and put his children in expensive British private schools, police say.

DIY theft
Three of the money-laundering charges relate to the sale of Delta state's share in mobile phone company V-Mobile to neighbouring Akwa Ibom state.

The wife, sister and mistress of James Ibori have also been convicted of money-laundering
This raised $37m which Ibori stole and laundered through his solicitor Gohil, who has been jailed for 10 years.

In 2007, a UK court froze assets allegedly belonging to him worth $35m.

His annual salary as Delta state governor was less than $25,000.

He had already left the UK when his assets were seized but he was arrested in Nigeria later that year.

The charges were dismissed but he was then re-arrested in Dubai on a British warrant.

Ibori has been convicted in the UK before - in 1991 for stealing, in cahoots with his wife who worked as a cashier, from the Neasden, London, branch of the DIY shop Wickes.

He was also found guilty in 1992 for being in possession of a stolen credit card and having used it to fraudulently withdraw $1,590.

Nigeria is one of the world's biggest oil producers. Under its federal system, state governors enjoy huge powers and control budgets larger than those of many West African countries.

They have immunity from prosecution while in office.

Two other former state governors have been convicted of corruption charges in Nigeria, after fleeing the UK while free on bail.

Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by dayokanu(m): 10:58pm On Feb 27, 2012
Is he also one of the Owners of Nigeria born to rule thieves?
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 11:16pm On Feb 27, 2012
i wonder why nigerians continue to let their leaders get humiliated in a foreign land and then applaud it. if u have failed to evolve the system that will bring ur leaders to justice in their home country, it shows the leaders are not the problem but the people. and u begin to wonder why these oyinbos have no respect for blacks. what a bunch of losers.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Magicwand: 11:20pm On Feb 27, 2012
I am so astounded that someone on this forum said that we fared worse under the colonialists. I grew up in Enugu  and I vividly remember how coal just sustained the economy. The good old days of good roads, qaulitative education can not be forgotten unless one is an slowpoke. Imagine what could have happened If the colonialists had oil billions to work with. I bet Kossikk or whatever this fools name is has never ventured outside Nigeria.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 11:27pm On Feb 27, 2012
@exotik

People like you give support to corruptions. How on earth has this degenerated into racial matter? Please, go and educate yourself of the stupid mentality you are carrying about consequences. It saddens me to see somebody like you cannot see beyond racial prejudices in every thing that involves foreigners. Jeez!

Sorry, it is the leaders' fault. They failed to sentence the former governor in Nigeria before he ran to Dubai. So, why blame the ordinary citizen who don't have any saying in the country? The rights of the people have been hijacked by the leaders for long,dude!
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 11:37pm On Feb 27, 2012
all4naija:

@exotik

People like you give support to corruptions. How on earth has this degenerated into racial matter? Please, go and educate yourself of the silly mentality you are carrying about consequences. It saddens me to see somebody like you cannot see beyond racial prejudices in every thing that involves foreigners. Jeez!

Sorry, it is the leaders' fault. They failed to sentence the former governor in Nigeria before he ran to Dubai. So, why blame the ordinary citizen who don't have any saying in the country? The rights of the people have been hijacked by the leaders for long,dude!

shattap there. how many corrupt oyinbo leaders have nigerian court brought to justice? when effc summoned cheney, did he show up? what happened to the case? or cheney is too big to serve time in a nigerian jail?

and why would it take oyinbo court to bring ur so-called corrupt leader to justice, u nor dey shame dat u cant do it urself?
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 27, 2012
exotik:

shattap there. how many corrupt oyinbo leaders have nigerian court brought to justice? w[b]hen effc summoned D. Cheney, did he show up[/b]? what happened to the case? or Joystick chenney is too big to serve time in a nigerian jail?

and why would it take oyinbo court to bring ur corrupt leader to justice, u nor dey shame dat u cant do it urself?
Just listen to yourself  and reread your comment. Summon you say? How does this issue of international co-operation of extraditing a convicted corrupt leader relate to D. Cheney's case? You are either pretending to be ignorant or you are outright ignorant. The truth of the matter is that he has gone against the British and the international laws (that's the reason the Dubai authority have the right to extradite him), such requires him to be arrested and prosecuted. Indeed, I would like to know how racial prejudices become part of the issue?

Has he not been tried in Nigeria before? We all know what happened when he was tried by Nigerian corrupt justice system.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Rossikk(m): 11:57pm On Feb 27, 2012
engineerd said

You are a fvkin gorilla! Your mom was obviously r aped by a monkey. nitwit!

Actually you got it twisted you brain-dead illiterate. YOU were the one saying YOU were cursed. So you must be referring to your family. Or was it other blacks apart from yourself you were referring to? Senseless, worthless, thoughtless, feckless, brainless, piece of ignorant SLIME and smiley, cotton picking, plantation staffing knucklehead  slave to whitey coming here to mix with dignified humans. Why don't you take your inferiorized, slimeball, self-loathing non-entity self back to the cursed hole of insignificance you've picked for yourself, you brain-handicapped sausage-head baboon?
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by reindeer: 12:02am On Feb 28, 2012
I am so happy this crook is finally brought to book.
Since our judiciary has shown itself ineffective at tackling corruption, its good the british are coming to our aid.
May his generations be haunted by all the ghosts of those who died because of his greed.
The hospitals that could have been built, the schools, the homes. . . .this heartless animal must rot in jail
Wicked thing! angry
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 12:05am On Feb 28, 2012
all4naija:

Just listen to yourself  and reread your comment. Summon you say? How does this issue of international co-operation of extraditing a convicted corrupt leader to D. Cheney's case? You are either pretending to be ignorant or you are outright ignorant. The truth of the matter is that he has gone against the British and the international laws (that's the reason the Dubai authority have the right to extradite him), such requires him to be arrested and prosecuted. Indeed, I would like to know how racial prejudices become part of the issue?

wtf are u saying? crime is crime. or the corrupt practices of cheney in nigeria did not go against nigerian and international laws? abi efcc nor say make cheney come answer question for 9ja again? so just answer the simple question: why didnt cheney show up?

Has he not been tried in Nigeria before? We all know what happened when he was tried by Nigerian corrupt justice system.

aww . . . so ur system failed. so dat makes u a failure, which is another word for loser that i called u earlier.

and if the way u allowed ur system to fail na so britian allow their's to fail, shey ibori would be free. then who u for wait for make e come bring am to justice? jesus? and then u go say "na god go punish am" grin grin
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Rossikk(m): 12:14am On Feb 28, 2012
Magicwand said

I am so astounded that someone on this forum said that we fared worse under the colonialists. I grew up in Enugu  and I vividly remember how coal just sustained the economy. The good old days of good roads, qaulitative education can not be forgotten unless one is an slowpoke. Imagine what could have happened If the colonialists had oil billions to work with. I bet Kossikk or whatever this fools name is has never ventured outside Nigeria.

You're a complete MOR.ON. Infant mortality rate was 259 per 1000 at the end of colonial rule. That figure is down to 91 per 1000 today. Literacy was 8% at independence, after 70 years of British rule. Today it is 76% after just 50 years of indigenous rule.

And which good roads are you talking about? The road network under colonialism was PITIFUL and WRETCHED. If not, WHY are we only just starting to build roads connecting our various villages and so on? The first road to my village was built in the 1970s. Prior to that, there was only a bush path leading there. There was no electricity in my village till the early 1990s. In the 60s virtually all the houses in my village were mud huts, after 70 years of British rule. THIS APPLIED TO VIRTUALLY ALL CORNERS OF NIGERIA outside Ikoyi and GRA. Today the reverse is the case.

What 'qualitative education' are you talking about The overwhelming majority of Nigerians were barefoot illiterates at independence.

So what did you say the British did again?

And do stop making EXCUSES for their THIEVERY. They ruled for 70 years and could not built ONE university despite BILLIONS of dollars of exports of natural resources from cocoa to rubber, groundnuts, aluminium, copper, iron ore, tin etc etc all items which commanded a premium price internationally throughout the 20th century.

It was in South Africa that the colonialists actually used some of the resources to develop the country, and that was only because they had a large white settler community there to benefit from it.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by reindeer: 12:17am On Feb 28, 2012
How ii wish they put the eediot in the same cell with a serial gay r.apist  grin grin grin
He needs to spend a few years taking it in the back and come back to nigeria with a colostomy bag for rectal/a.nal incompetence!
grin grin grin
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 12:28am On Feb 28, 2012
exotik:

wtf are u saying? crime is crime. or the corrupt practices of cheney in nigeria did not go against nigerian and international laws? abi efcc nor say make cheney come answer question for 9ja again? so just answer the simple question: why didnt cheney show up?

aww . . . so ur system failed. so u are a failure, which is another word for loser that i called u earlier.

and if the way u allowed ur system to fail na so britian allow their's to fail, shey ibori would have free. then who u for wait for make e come bring am to justice? jesus? and then u go say "na god go punish am" grin grin
You have to be consistent with your comments. All I can see is incoherence and lousy explanations. If I must address what you are trying to explain with humility, you are saying D. Cheney committed a crime  that for being a WHITE man he succeeded without been prosecuted. Which by right carried a racial undertone and, it is absolutely unacceptable. Even the case of Ibori being prosecuted in the British court is to the benefit of the poor Nigerian citizens not the Brits. Is that not a good thing? That alone is enough for you to embrace the charges as laudable, not only that, the other governors would know by now that to steal from the states coffer and stark them in Brit banks is a thing of the past.

In response to your alluding yet misleading last lines, on the blame of the citizens for the failure of the judicial or rather the whole system(which have never worked since time immemorial ), proves that you support the injustices in the country and blame them on the poor citizens who happen to be the victims.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 12:35am On Feb 28, 2012
Rossikk:

engineerd said

Actually you got it twisted you brain-dead illiterate. YOU were the one saying YOU were cursed. So you must be referring to your family. Or was it other blacks apart from yourself you were referring to? Senseless, worthless, thoughtless, feckless, brainless, piece of ignorant SLIME and smiley, cotton picking, plantation staffing knucklehead  slave to whitey coming here to mix with dignified humans. Why don't you take your inferiorized, slimeball, self-loathing non-entity self back to the cursed hole of insignificance you've picked for yourself, you brain-handicapped sausage-head baboon?

Dude, its funny cause you actually display all the symptoms of an im be ci le! My recommendation, look on the bright side of life and don't be too hard on your mother for fvcking a gorilla and conceiving u.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 28, 2012
Rossikk:

Magicwand said

You're a complete MOR.ON. Infant mortality rate was 259 per 1000 at the end of colonial rule. That figure is down to 91 per 1000 today. Literacy was 8% at independence, after 70 years of British rule. Today it is 76% after just 50 years of indigenous rule.

And which good roads are you talking about? The road network under colonialism was PITIFUL and WRETCHED. If not, WHY are we only just starting to build roads connecting our various villages and so on? The first road to my village was built in the 1970s. Prior to that, there was only a bush path leading there. There was no electricity in my village till the early 1990s. In the 60s virtually all the houses in my village were mud huts, after 70 years of British rule. THIS APPLIED TO VIRTUALLY ALL CORNERS OF NIGERIA outside Ikoyi and GRA. Today the reverse is the case.

What 'qualitative education' are you talking about The overwhelming majority of Nigerians were barefoot illiterates at independence.

And do stop making EXCUSES for their THIEVERY. They ruled for 70 years and could not built ONE university despite BILLIONS of dollars of exports of natural resources from cocoa to rubber, groundnuts, aluminium, copper, iron ore, tin etc etc all items which commanded a premium price internationally throughout the 20th century.

It was in South Africa that the colonialists actually used some of the resources to develop the country, and that was only because they had a large white settler community there to benefit from it.

You seem to be the MO RON actually. Instead of arguing blindly and raging on the internet like a wild monkey, why don't you try to be objective and respect other people's opinions? No one in their right minds will support colonialism, but another school of thought can argue that some African states are in far worse conditions now than when we were under colonial rule. I didn't bother to read your posts cause you are repulsive to say the least, but for all it's worth, learn to be true to yourself !
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Eltonluigi(m): 12:42am On Feb 28, 2012
'' A Thief In Government House''. how about somebody write a book with the quote??
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 12:52am On Feb 28, 2012
all4naija:

You have to be consistent with your comments. All I can see is incoherence and lousy explanations. If I must address what you are trying to explain with humility, you are saying D. Cheney committed a crime  that for being a WHITE man he succeeded without been prosecuted. Which by right carried a racial undertone and, it is absolutely unacceptable. Even the case of Ibori being prosecuted in the British court is to the benefit of the poor Nigerian citizens not the Brits. Is that not a good thing? That alone is enough for you to embrace the charges as laudable, not only that, the other governors would know by now that to steal from the states coffer and stark them in Brit banks is a thing of the past.

my comments have been quite consistent. u failed to bring ur leader to justice at home, he was brought to justice in a foreign land and u have here applauding it and dancing with joy. how is that going to help u in any way? how is that going to fix ur failed system? and if the oyinbos dat brought ibori to justice were so concerned about fighting crime, why didnt they force cheney to come answer for his corrupt practises in nigeria? and if found quilty, face jail term in nigeria also? why is cheney walking free in his home country and ibori is heading to jail outside his home country even though they are both corrupt leaders?

In response to your alluding yet misleading last lines, on the blame of the citizens for the failure of the judicial or rather the whole system(which have never worked since time immemorial ), proves that you support the injustices in the country and blame them on the poor citizens who happen to be the victims.

so who makes up the judiciary and other failed system? are they not the citizens whether poor or rich, victim or victor, or however u want to classify them. they are all citizens.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by iiiyyyk(m): 1:01am On Feb 28, 2012
the Nigeria judicial system and efcc should learn.

We have more than a thousand such political criminals in our country today.

with a failed judiciary and anti graft agencies, i think it is time for the nigerian youths to stand up boldly against corruption.

we don't need to burn our streets, we can use our pens, internet and voices to make corruption a shameful act in nigeria.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 1:11am On Feb 28, 2012
exotik:

my comment have been quite consistent. u failed to bring ur leader to justice at home, he was brought to justice in a foreign land and u have here applauding it and dancing with joy. how is that going to help u in any way? how is that going to fix ur failed system? and if the oyinbos dat brought ibori to justice were so concerned about fighting crime, why didnt they force cheney to come answer for his corrupt practises in nigeria? and if possible also face jail term in nigeria also? why is cheney walking free in his home country and ibori is heading to jail outside his home country even though they are both corrupt leaders?

so who makes up the judiciary and other failed system? are they not the citizens?
Who are those which fail to bring him to justice? The answer is clear they are the leaders. The poor citizens are incapable because their right to the tools to fight have been destroyed in every sundry.

The leaders are citizens but they are the ones to lead. How can corrupt leaders fight themselves in this case? Or you expect the followers to do it without having the necessary tools or mechanism in place(they have be destroyed or taken away from them) - I repeat.  You are looking at this whole thing from an extremism point. Without any aid from outside the borders the poor citizens can not carry out a successful fight with the corrupt leaders or else they will be fighting within themselves in a circle - poor citizens on poor citizens - while the rich corrupt leaders will have avenues to use them as tools to ferment more troubles.

You are very funny indeed.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 1:12am On Feb 28, 2012
One name comes to mind in this Ibori Saga, the late Chief Gani Fawehinmi. Gani pursued this case that Ibori was an ex-convict to supreme court, but the court ruled that Gani's Ibori was different from James Ibori. A notoriously corrupt judge Marcel acquitted Ibori of 170 count charges of corruption right here in Nigeria.With this conviction, Ribadu deserves a national award. The real truth is Ribadu's EFCC that actually nailed the thief.

Gani also pursued the case of Tinubu's forgery to supreme court but was equally dismissed. I hope one day the long arm of justice will grab Tinubu as well.
Ibori's verdict is a verdict on Nigerian Judiciary- a cash and carry justice dispensing group of thievish ba$tards.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Tropilo(m): 1:16am On Feb 28, 2012
Madam Farida Waziri, must hv bn hiding Ibori's evidence all these while. When she was removed Ibori knew it was "GAME OVER" hence he pleaded guilty. When i saw him on Aljazeera with that white plate on his chest, my joy knew no bounds.
Most of d judges in Nigeria that sell pronouncements in Nigeria will die of shame. The statement alone "a thief in govt house" is enough indictment on d Nigerian Judicial and Political system. Ofcos, we all know what our Legislathief arm is all about.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Rossikk(m): 1:28am On Feb 28, 2012
engineered said

Dude, its funny cause you actually display all the symptoms of an im be ci le! My recommendation, look on the bright side of life and don't be too hard on your mother for fvcking a gorilla and conceiving u.

I'll be hard on your pr.ostitute mother when she passes round her cheap puss.y to my DOG.

Peabrained assswwipe.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Magicwand: 1:31am On Feb 28, 2012
Please folks stop responding to the two morons exxotik and rossik these ignorant homegrown local men. They need to step out and see the world. Thats why things are rotten in Nigeria, when you have morons like these two.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Rossikk(m): 1:32am On Feb 28, 2012
Quote from engineerd

Quote from: Rossikk on Today at 12:14:22 AM

You seem to be the MO RON actually. Instead of arguing blindly and raging on the internet like a wild monkey, why don't you try to be objective and respect other people's opinions?

I should respect your opinion that ''blacks are cursed''?

You are even more brainless than I'd imagined.

You seem to relish calling black people 'monkeys' and 'gorillas'. This following from your earlier declaration that blacks were ''cursed''. It's obvious you suffer from chronic racial identity crisis requiring a healthy dose of black consciousness in your self-hating, colonised, buffoon head. I can recommend a few books to help make you feel less inferior, you ill-educated mental midget.

No one in their right minds will support colonialism, but another school of thought can argue that some African states are in far worse conditions now than when we were under colonial rule. I didn't bother to read your posts cause you are repulsive to say the least, but for all it's worth, learn to be true to yourself!

You will not read my posts because you are allergic to education. You prefer to dwell in your ignorant, white worshipping stupi.dity, which is really your main problem. And do please name me ONE African country that is worse today than it was under colonialism, so I can use all the information, references, and resources at my disposal to CRUSH your claim.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by exotik: 1:42am On Feb 28, 2012
all4naija:

Who fail to bring him to justice? The answer is clear it is the leaders. The poor citizens are incapable because their right to the tools to fight have been destroyed in every sundry.

The leaders are citizens but they are the ones to lead. How can corrupt leaders fight themselves in this case? Or you expect the followers to do it without having the necessary tools or mechanism in place(they have be destroyed or taken away from them) - I repeat.  You are looking at this whole thing from an extremism point. Without any aid from outside the borders the poor citizens can not carry out a successful fight with the corrupt leaders or else they will be fighting within themselves in a circle - poor citizens on poor citizens - while the rich corrupt leaders will have avenues to use them as tools to ferment more troubles.

You are very funny indeed.

lol, societies are developed by the people. the leaders are just a representation of the people that make up a society. so if u want to know the mind of a people, u study their leaders. so the mind of ibori is ur representation of the mind of the average nigerian, be him rich or "poor". and until the people are able to develop a system where they can hold their leaders accountable for whatever they do, they are always go to need someone else outside their borders to do it for them.

so who are those outside the borders of britian dat are helping their poor citizens bring their corrupt leaders to justice? im sure mugabe is not on that list grin grin abi u wan tell me say britian nor get poor citizens and corrupt leaders?
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Rossikk(m): 1:44am On Feb 28, 2012
Magicwand said

Please folks stop responding to the two morons exxotik and rossik these ignorant homegrown local men. They need to step out and see the world. Thats why things are rotten in Nigeria, when you have morons like these two.

Look at this ignoramus. You have no idea where I'm typing from. I have seen the world a hundred times more than you have, and what I CAN tell you is that the single most important thing holding black people back is their BELIEF that they are inferior to other races.

Until you shed that satanic belief instilled in you by colonialists, you will continue to suffer. And you will continue to have people like me come on here to put you straight.

India is poorer than Africa, and even more corrupt.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/india-far-poorer-than-africa-new-measure-shows/story-e6frg6so-1225891801078

Yet an Indian man will come to YOUR country and you'll be worshipping him!

Despite the fact they are poorer than Africa, you will rarely ever hear an Indian man describe his race as 'cursed' or call for a return of white rule over his country.

When will you FOOOLZ understand that NOBODY on this earth will help you but yourselves, and that you're the equal of others??
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Nobody: 2:08am On Feb 28, 2012
exotik:

l[b]ol, societies are developed by the people. the leaders are just a representation of the people that make up a society. so if u want to know the mind of a people, u study their leaders. so the mind of ibori is ur representation of the mind of the average nigerian, be him rich or "poor". and until the people are able to develop a system where they can hold their leaders accountable for whatever they do, they are always go to need someone else outside their borders to do it for them.[/b]

so who are those outside the borders of britian who are helping their poor citizens bring their corrupt leaders to justice? im sure mugabe is not on that list grin grin abi u wan tell me say britian nor get poor citizens and corrupt leaders?
First and foremost, I know you didn't comprehend my comment in the way I meant it to be.In your first paragraph you succeeded in pointing to assertions which are baseless. Though, they seem right in words and are beautifully logical, whereas in the reality they are nothing to write home about.  The leaders don't only represent they also lead - so, don't make the leaders look as helpless as they are not.

When I mean outside the borders,I mean outsides the of Nigeria which is different from Britain(an already organized society that can stand on their own with the rights tools, from better judicial system to security). Go back in time and read about the British government history - that would give you an eye-opener idea into this ludicrous comparison of yours. I doubt if you take time to read my comments very well.
Re: Ibori Pleads Guilty To Money Laundering Charges In London Court by Ilekokonit: 2:11am On Feb 28, 2012
James Ibori: How a thief almost became Nigeria's president

By Andrew Walker  Nigeria analyst  

The story of how James Ibori went from convicted thief in London in the 1990s, to become governor of a wealthy oil-producing Nigerian state and then to a British prison is a remarkable one.

It is the story of a wily political operator, backing the right political horses and shifting allegiances when expedient.

Given slightly different circumstances, according to one observer, it could have seen Ibori in the presidential villa rather than a British jail cell.

Ibori's defence in the face of allegations had always been that he had a successful business career and had made money independent of government.

But in 1991, he was working in a hardware store in the London suburb of Neasden.
(left-right) James Ibori"s wife Theresa Ibori, his sister Christine Ibori-Idie, and his mistress Udoamaka Okoronkwo Some of Ibori's assets were in the name of his wife, sister and mistress

The prosecution in this trial told a judge he was earning around £15,000 ($24,000) a year.

He was caught by his employer allowing his wife to walk through the till he was manning without paying for goods.

They both pleaded guilty at Isleworth Crown Court and were fined.

In 1992, he was convicted for possession of a stolen credit card, which had £1,000 spent on it, and was again fined in a UK court.
'Murky business'

Ibori then returned to Nigeria intending to become a political operator. The country was about to be tipped into a tumultuous period.

Military leader Ibrahim Babangida had scheduled elections to return Nigeria to democracy in June 1993.
James Ibori: The story so far

* 1958: Born in Delta state, UK police believe, saying he previously lied about his age
   * 1980s: Moved to UK
   * 1991: Convicted of stealing from DIY shop Wickes
   * 1992: Convicted of credit card fraud
   * 1993-4: Allies himself to Nigeria's then military ruler Sani Abacha
   * 1999: Elected Delta state governor
   * 2007: Stepped down as governor
   * 2007: UK assets worth $35m frozen
   * December 2007: Arrested in Nigeria on corruption charges
   * 2009: Nigeria court dismisses charges
   * April 2010: Ibori's supporters attack police as they try to arrest him
   * May 2010: Arrested in Dubai
   * 2011: Extradited to UK
   * 2012: Pleads guilty to money-laundering in London court

Ibori worked for the governorship campaign of a friend.

The experience gave him good connections with the parties that would eventually merge to form the People's Democratic Party, currently ruling Nigeria.

The 1993 elections were cancelled by Mr Babangida, who told Nigeria he would maintain control of the country.

Later that year, Gen Sani Abacha staged a coup, removing Mr Babangida but cementing the military's grip on power for another five years.

According to Anthony Goldman, who worked as a journalist in Nigeria for many years and has followed Ibori's career closely, this is when Ibori made his first shift of political master, offering his services to Abacha.

"He had an unspecified role in security," Mr Goldman said. "That could be anything, it was a very murky business."

Abacha was accused of murdering political opponents and ruthlessly crushing dissent and pro-democracy movements.

In the mid-1990s, Ibori was questioned by the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) in the US about how he came into the possession of millions of dollars that he transferred to accounts in the US.

The FBI suspected the money came from advance fee fraud, the infamous Nigerian 419 scam, but he was able to prove the money came from his work with Abacha, Mr Goldman said.

Abacha died in 1998 and Ibori switched horses again, attaching himself to influential northern politician Atiku Abubakar, who went on to become vice-president.
Medically impossible

In 1999, Ibori took out a mortgage on a property in Abbey Road, London.

To do that, he got a new passport with a false birth date to mask his previous convictions.
James Ibori in police hand-out James Ibori has now been convicted three times in the UK

The birth date he chose was in fact medically impossible as it was only a month after his sister's birthday, the prosecution told the court.

Ibori was installed as the governor of the oil-rich Delta State in the 1999 elections.

In order to take office in Nigeria, he had to swear an affidavit that he had no convictions. To do this, he used the same birth date he had made up to acquire his mortgage.

It was this evidence that would, in a London court 14 years later, spell the end for Ibori.

Soon after he became governor, Ibori paid off the Abbey Road mortgage in cash.

He went on to buy three other properties in the UK. He paid £2.2 million in cash for a house in the plush London suburb of Hampstead.
Bankrolled election

In 2005 the Metropolitan Police began to take an interest in Ibori after they came across a purchase order for a private jet, made through his solicitor in London.

It was just after this that Ibori shifted horses again, switching his allegiance from Mr Abubakar to the then President Olusegun Obasanjo.
“Start Quote

Then Mr Ibori would have met Queen Elizabeth at the state house, instead of serving at her pleasure”

End Quote Anthony Goldman Nigeria analyst

In 2006, President Obasanjo recruited Ibori to help him force through a change in the constitution to allow him to run for a third term as president.

When that plan failed, Ibori promised his allegiance to Mr Obasanjo's anointed successor, Umaru Yar'Adua.

At the ruling party's pre-election convention in 2006, Ibori was on hand to lift up the northern governor's hands in a display of victory - hours before delegates from the People's Democratic Party (PDP) voted to select him as their candidate.

Ibori then bankrolled the 2007 Yar'Adua election campaign.

Mr Goldman says he understands Ibori was promised the vice-president's job, in return for his support.

But Mr Yar'Adua, who had been ill for many years, died in office.

His Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan succeeded him and remains Nigeria's president.

Despite being a fellow former governor of a neighbouring oil state, Ibori and Mr Jonathan were by now political enemies.

In 2010, President Jonathan set the country's anti-corruption police, the Economic and Financial Crimes commission on him, but their officers were ambushed when they came to arrest him.

Ibori left Nigeria shortly afterwards.

He went to Dubai, whose government arrested him and transferred him to the UK to face trial.

Mr Goldman says had Yar'Adua lived, and made Ibori his vice-president, he would have had a clear run to become president.

"Then Mr Ibori would have met Queen Elizabeth at the state house, instead of serving at her pleasure," Mr Goldman said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Al-makura Fines Demolished Radio Station, Says He Won't Pay Compensation / Aisha Buhari Urges Women To Embrace Agriculture / Igbos Seek National Equity As Group Insist Speaker Of The House Position

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.