Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) (15439 Views)

British Mum Leaves Baby To Die During Sex Romp With A Nigerian(PIC) / I'm Seriously Considering Cheating On My Husband / Is Open Marriage Likely to Succeed in Nigeria ?? ( Advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 29, 2012
^ You are very welcome agiboma smiley
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by bamshy: 1:08pm On Mar 30, 2012
Henry40: Amy, my advice - DON'T COME TO NIGERIA, YET! Why?

-  Electricity: Unlike in the UK where you pay for what you use, and if you'd like to pay less then use less, here in Nigeria YOU PAY, but you hardly ever use! On this point, I'd advice you go to Abuja. There's more value for electricity there and you don't need to pay for it twice { via fuel for generators and actual electricity bills} since electricity is really cheap there. The roads are better and life is comparatively less stressful.
-  Standard of Life: Although cost of living in Nigeria is comparatively low, standard of life is even lower. I suggest you know the sort of "business" your father-in-law is doing first, then think up ways of bringing it up to the standard that would afford you the standard of living you're used to {or want}, if it isn't already. Come to Nigeria only when you've been successful in preparing a befitting standard of living when you arrive, and not before. At the end of the day, everything about living in Nigeria boils down to that - standard of life. Since you've been called to the bar in the UK, you wouldn't find it difficult to secure a high standard of living, especially in Abuja. First, you're a graduate, second, a professional, third UK trained, and lastly, and most importantly, WHITE!
-  Honesty: You should be aware {regardless of how patriotic I would even care to admit} that Nigerians are generally dishonest. Keep that at the back of your mind in everything you do whenever you come around, or else you'd become a victim so many times that you might get frustrated back. There's a saying in Nigeria - Shine your eyes!
-  In laws: Know who your in-laws really are. Some of them are green snakes in the grass.
-  Security: In Nigeria, your security is in your own hands, and not an outsider's. This is a place "standard of life" {above} becomes important. If you have a high standard of life, then you'd probably be in a position to afford yourself security.

These are all I have for you, for now!

All this discouraging talk??!!!! You make it sound like there is no good thing about Nigeria. I doubt if we live in the same one you just described. Haba!!!
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by bamshy: 1:20pm On Mar 30, 2012
clintwine: Amy its all up to you, if you say that your husband's dad is a wealthy political man, then u would probably live a better quality of life (QOL) in Nigeria than here in the UK
however, you would live a lower Standard of Life (SOL) in Nigeria.

its better taking advice, from those who have lived in Nigeria -> then lived in UK --> Then back to Nigeria. Rather than someone looking for any chance to leave Nigeria and thinks UK is a dream country.

I have noticed that many people who have stayed here for a long while would never encourage someone going back to Nigeria even when they are suffering and smiling (They mostly have this mentality/picture of Nigeria in the 80s/90s.

For those that say they call them oyibo, while in Naija in the markets people call me oyibo even when am black (cos am a bit light), its nothing derogatory or insulting. No one will ever pick on your kid for being Oyibo.

In terms of education, place your kids in one of the best secondary schools, when it comes to university, they are best doing it abroad.(or in private uni in Nigeria and masters abroad)

Someone mentioned that teen pregnancies are in Nigeria, but what they failed to mention is that the UK ratio to that of Nigeria is about 500:1
I haven't even mentioned the heavy drinking and sleeping around.(tue, thurs, sat nights out)

Its funny when a Nigerian parent is migrating with the kids abroad, all these funny topics about missing friends , very cold weather , don't come up; but when its the other way people come up with million of excuses

Granted, you would never be guaranteed 24hr light, but i guess we would love to have kids who quickly adjust to any change in the environment, than those who moan about it

Its unfortunate that you can contemplate breaking a relationship of many years just because of a move, even though he has stayed these many years with you in uk
The last time i checked, Nigeria doesn't kill kids.

Before i wrap up, i do remember that one of the directors of firstbank (she used to head the HR) is not Nigerian but she and her kids adjusted and they are doing well.

Its all about how you see the move, as the saying goes, some see a half glass as half empty and another as half full.

There will be challenges, just like anywhere else, you just deal with them

The best I have read so far. Quite mature!

2 Likes

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by morpheus24: 11:34pm On Apr 02, 2012
cap28:

as i have said before racism goes way beyond a personal dislike for someone - its about a system which is set up to ensure that people of a certain race remain powerless, divided and broken -this is why africa is in the state that its in - its under attack from a system designed to keep it in a state of permanent chaos and anarchy. And racists DO marry outside their race - all those middle aged white guys in port harcourt, warri and lagos are raging racists who just happen to have a taste for brown skin - who you sleep with has nothing to do with what you think of other races.

99% of white british people do not want a black person earning more than them, living in a better neighbourhood than them or being better educated than them.

we've been giving love and tolerance a chance for over 5 centuries and look at the result - the transatlantic slave trade, colonialism and neo colonialism - other races dont give love and tolerance a chance they just concentrate on developing themselves and their own people and they dont care who they have to hurt to get what they want - look at the japanese who actually went to war with britain and america - did you know that during the second world war all japanese immigrants resident in america were arrested and held in detention camps by the US govt ?  but today in america a japanese american can get a good job and have access to better opportunties in life than a black american?  The irony is that black americans actually fought in this same war on the side of their former slave masters?   what does that tell you?

AHHH. the power of negative energy eh Cap28

Still spreading your propaganda in the guise of emancipating the "minds' of your people.

If you didn't notice you completely derailed the topic into one or your banters bout the boogey "white" man.

so predictable, so pitiful sad

Morpheus says " YOU STILL IN THE UK??"

3 Likes

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by WhiteOne(f): 3:34pm On Apr 03, 2012
The trend in the UK?
What is the trend in your family?
Is the Trend better in Nigeria?
Drugs, Gangs, Sex ect.
It is everywere.
It does not stop on a border.

Suggestion
Let your husband go first; let him get a house, a business or a job, which can substation all of you.
Six months later, if everything is in place, let your children go to Nigeria
I would suggest they start a good English Boarding School and they come home on the weekends.
Then perhaps three months later you go.
Look for a job in an international company or your Embassy.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by WhiteOne(f): 4:03pm On Apr 03, 2012
Do your husband and you believe your children are prepared for their examen in Nigeria?
Do you have the capital to finance their education successfully?
Do you have any idea, what a good education costs.
And in five years, what, where should the go to university?
USA, UK, West Africa, Nigeria, Canada, West Europe?
And who, they should get married to?
Black, White or Asian
I got the feeling both of you are running for something?
If you do not deal with this matter in your live, it will follow you . ..

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by WhiteOne(f): 4:29pm On Apr 03, 2012
Mixed children accepted in Nigeria?
Unsure?
In London, there is a trend among the Nigeria community
Some people say the children are not proper black?
They do not know the culture enough?
They do not speak our language?

1 Like

Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by oyiboonacha: 4:37pm On Apr 03, 2012
Ok, good point! deleted.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by oyiboonacha: 4:43pm On Apr 03, 2012
gah, waste of time. me got to stop posting on here and get out. Its adictive.
OP all the best my dear.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by maclatunji: 5:18pm On Apr 03, 2012
^Oyiboonacha, stop there. Do you want to give OP the entire experience before she gets here. Let her come and learn herself. Some Oyibos love it here, some don't. I wish OP the best.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by abdoolorunwa(m): 10:52am On Sep 22, 2014
dear curious sister,if i place myself in ur situation i'd do better than leave.ur choice of country is ok,n ur choice for a place should be ABUJA,settling in maitama/asokoro/garki etc.putting ur kids first.they'll be loved by virtually all kids in d block.amidst challenges faced by d country,nigeria remains an asylum or shld i say a place away from ur over civilized-britain.do not think twice about their schooling,we have d best schools in abuja,i wld hav said Lagos but for hastle and d complexity of life.relieve ur curiosity.abuja is d best option,ABA is kidnap-prone,lagos too crowdy n chaotic.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by JEITO: 3:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
No wonder late Dora Akunyili said Nigeria is the only country where you get a free lunch.

They all come back home when tins isn't working fine for them oversees; but they all come up with plenty cock and bull stories of why there are coming back to Nigeria.

We know them, they are plenty around. Infact, one of them; a Briton married to a Nigerian lady, couldn't hide his amazement when he said," wow! In Nigeria, u could afford ur own househelp, gate keeper and even cook. Whereas in Britain, in order for you to go on a night out with your wife, you had to book for a nanny for your kids a week earlier."

What I'm trying to say is this: we all know that things aren't too rosy for you and your spouse that's why he's suggesting a return home to Nigeria. So stop forming enquiry because you and I know that, if you had enuf money, you won't think of relocating to Nigeria.

You don't have a choice my dear. Everywhere is Nigeria is safe enough to live in- if not, you won't find people living there.

And for your kids, I wish them well; but the truth is this; the proper upbringing of children is the responsibility of the parent irrespective of the environment. Whether your kids stay in Nigeria or Britain, if you as a parent don't mould their lives a right, they'll end up wayward.

Btw, if you can make it in Britain, you can make it in Nigeria also.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by drnoel: 4:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
There a British American school in lagos but she didn't mention lagos. Apart from that Abuja is probably the only other place one could get nice schools.
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Horus(m): 5:02pm On Mar 26, 2017
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Homeyfav: 7:25am On Jan 18, 2018
xc\=[56
Re: British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) by Koolking(m): 12:21pm On Jan 19, 2018
deco2come:
@POSTER

I don't know how fast your children adapt to things but I am afraid that they will find it hard adapting to Nigeria environment. Especially when it comes to electricity, the heat of the sun, and the internet speed. It will be a tough decision.

Moreover they don't have much friends. They will find everything almost boring not because Nigeria is a boring place but because things won't work out much for them.

Moreover, I want you to say bye bye to your online games because with the internet speed in Nigeria, maybe I should by NCHOR(an african game) for you grin grin. It will keep you busy when you are getting frustrated with the internet speed.

My suggestion is this, instead of moving all the family at once, since you have visited Nigeria before, maybe you and your husband should move first and allow the kids to come for vacation. See what they think and monitor how they adapt.

During my university days, there is this guy from United State that lives with us. The way he adapt to everything will make you wonder if he is really from United State of America or United State of Africa. Each vacation, he will fly back to United State. Everything depends on individual.

Wish you luck

C'm on dude, she can get 1GB Internet speed in Nigeria, but at a very exorbitant price. Most of us struggle with Glo, MTN and Airtel pool limited data plan and ignorantly concludes that we can't get better than that. Even STM1 [155Mbps] is more than affordable and suitable for her needs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What's The Best Advice Your Parents Ever Gave You? / I Feel So Bad For Slapping My Wife This Morning / 15 And Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.