Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,233 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. (19154 Views)

My Sick Husband Wants Me To Be Having Sex Elsewhere / Husband Wants Divorce From Wife Because Of Sexual Starvation / 15 Brutally Honest Signs Your Husband Wants A Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 12, 2012
Okija_juju:

Chukwuemeka is a porshe Igbo name jor!!

She should call him EbubeDike
Or Anumanu
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by millinmax2(m): 4:53pm On Mar 12, 2012
Okija_juju:

Chukwuemeka is a porshe Igbo name jor!!

She should call him EbubeDike
Sinmisola is also a nice name

1 Like

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 12, 2012
Okija_juju:

How did an Igbo girl stoop so low as to end up with an Yoruba man in the first place!!

Sacrilegous

Let me guess,she married the yoruba guy because of his money.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by dayokanu(m): 4:59pm On Mar 12, 2012
You sef change his name.

But its a common practice if there is an inter ethnic marriage to give a name that your inlaws can understand or relate to

My friend that married a white lady, they even gave the lady a native name

Though the changing it officially on official document is the creepy part
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Okijajuju1(m): 5:00pm On Mar 12, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Let me guess,she married the yoruba guy because of his money.

Or he used Yoruba Juju on her, because thats the only way for Ofemmanus to get an Igbo girl.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by akpanbaba: 5:07pm On Mar 12, 2012
My sister use your head and watch out because some of your advisers are waiting for your husband to throw you out and they will gladly change their names to Sinmisola just to marry him.Shine your eyes well well.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by ronkebp(f): 5:11pm On Mar 12, 2012
Just let him know you can't change your first name but you can add that to your names, make it a middle name.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 12, 2012
Okija_juju:

Or he used Yoruba Juju on her, because thats the only way for Ofemmanus to get an Igbo girl.

stop tripping.Your ibo sister must given him okija-prepared vegetable to eat to the extent of following her like a dummy.What kind of love will make a yoruba man to cross all the rivers in SW to iboland ? I just want to imagine that at all.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 12, 2012
Okija_juju:

stop tripping.Your ibo sister must given him okija-prepared vegetable to eat to the extent of following her like a dummy.What kind of love will make a yoruba man to cross all the rivers in SW to iboland ? I just want to imagine that at all.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 12, 2012
Keep quite there! The day he paid Heavily for that bride price of yours to your parents, he own you completely. Which ever name he wishes to call or name you is no business of yours.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by niddamugu(m): 5:16pm On Mar 12, 2012
This is purely family matter. We were not there when you started so why bring us in now?
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by othenok(f): 5:16pm On Mar 12, 2012
Simi is a good name but i find it totally weird him asking you to formally change ur birth name.
I think you should thread carefully so as to not 2 break ur home. My MIL calls me a diff name which am not a big fan of but i've decided to ans since it ain't a curse.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by 3RNEST(m): 5:18pm On Mar 12, 2012
Simisola, or wateva, your name still stand & he's can't change ur birth name, maybe he's just want to see the yoruba woman in you cuz as a yoruba man maybe he's desire is to marry a yoruba woman but base on onething or the other he marry u..see women are like phone u customize them to your taste..so Ndidi my dear accept dat name with joy lets the marital peace continue..i do admire married people cuz its nt an easy battle but still ppl just have to get married to make thing rite.
I don talk my own (IDTMO)..
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by othenok(f): 5:20pm On Mar 12, 2012
ronkebp: Just let him know you can't change your first name but you can add that to your names, make it a middle name.
Nice one!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by udochika(m): 5:21pm On Mar 12, 2012
@op, call him CHIWETALAGU, OSOFIA, IBU, EMEKA IKE OR OJUKWU. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by texazzpete(m): 5:28pm On Mar 12, 2012
ndidibabe: What is really wrong with my husband? I am Ibo and he is Yoruba. Before we got married, he talked so much about how beautiful (light skinned), intelligent, hardworking ibo ladies are. He also said an average Ibo lady knows how prepare good delicacies. He loves me and that was the reason i married him not minding our ethnic differences. After 14 months of marriage, i can say his love for me is still intact but the problem is that he is fond of calling me Sinmisola, a name i do not like. I asked him the meaning of the name and he said 'rest in wealth'. What sort of stupid name is that? I didn't marry him because i want rest in his wealth! Besides, it is not that he is wealthy, so why the name? Now, his parents too call me Sinmisola. He told me to do a change of name to Sinmisola + his surname. His Surname, Yes but why should i change my first name. Isn't he the yoruba man that love Ibo ladies so much to the extent of marrying one them? Why does he hate my Ibo name? I asked him why he wants my name changed and he said he just love it that way. I am not going to take this from him but i need mature people (married) to advice me on how to resolve this issue wisely.

From the way you're fuming over this storm in a teacup, I wonder if your husband isn't the one getting a raw deal inside this marriage.
You admit you know he still loves you very much yet here you are flinging words like 'I am not going to take this from him' and 'why does he hate my name so much'.

The first few paragraphs were all about how much he loves you and nothing at all about how you felt for him. All you could say was that you married him because he loves you.

Minus the flaky insistence on calling you by a pet name you don't like, i really feel sorry for your husband!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by ichidodo: 5:34pm On Mar 12, 2012
Bandit C.:
Lol. Yoruba man wants to convert an Igbo woman to Yoruba by all means. Why he didn't go for a Sinmisola in the first place baffles me. Then again, any Igbo woman f00lish enough to settle for a yoruba man deserves whatever comes her way. This is the first sign of the kind of marriage she has gotten herself into. After one and half years of marriage, it is name change, what then would happen after say 15 years? she might then have been totally subdued and living in a cage somewhere in ogbomosho or something like that. SMH.
gbam! I pity d poor woman. She shuld read d handwritin on d wall and scamper off to safety. D yiribas can b diabolic, just watch ure back.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by rhemal: 5:37pm On Mar 12, 2012
my sister u shd b very careful whn taking advice abt ur marriage.i'm ibo who's married 2 a yoruba&we hv two beautiful daughters.name or no name u shd not left such matter upset ur home,believe me there r big issues than that am talking frm exprience.u know ur name,let him call whatever pleases him so far they r not demeaning.wisdom is what u shd apply whn dealing wit husband&not force.
i call my husband AKUM&he calls me TEMI.to me it's d meaning of d name that matters.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by ichidodo: 5:45pm On Mar 12, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I have always told u yiriba guys how ugly and irritatin u guys r. We d igbos r God's people in naija. Little wonder ure men run after our women folk. But let it b known dose who get involved wit u r d dregs. We, d sons of Eri take d creme de la creme of d finest igbo womanhood and leave the dregs to u yiriba guys to fight over. My heart goes out to d yiriba women. SMH.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by chines4(m): 5:48pm On Mar 12, 2012
There is nothing wrong with u'r husband giving u, a Yoruba name, but insisting that u change u'r name to it is where the problem is. Yoruba's can give names ask your husband, he will definitly have more than three first names. My sister-in law is Yoruba and we gave her Igbo name, which she loves so much that she put it in her FB name.

Personally I like the name, and just flow with it. Like Ify suggested u can equally give your husband pet Igbo name
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by bigben3: 5:49pm On Mar 12, 2012
Ndidi~Sinmisola? What's in a name anyway? A form of identity-period!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by aljharem(m): 5:52pm On Mar 12, 2012
Ndidi, Listen to your husband. It is a sign of acceptance, you are not the first person to change the first name and you would not be the last. I am sure you would be quick if he called you "Jolie", "Natasha" etc you would even accept "Christian Names" but cannot accept Sinmisola which is a beautiful name IMO.

Do not let tribailism and pettiness destroy your home. I am Muslim but is it not your Bible that says A man and a WOMAN would leave their parents house and become one . From the day you married him, you have to drop your Igbo identity, From the day he married you should have dropped his Yoruba Identity.

If he calls you Sinmisola, then call him Emeka etc and you should both laugh about it and be happy. Call him Emeka infront of your own parent as well. That is love, that is a marriage.

You feeling uncomfortable because he called you sinmisola is a bit da.ft and childish on your part, even worse you brought the topic to Nairaland like it is an issue worth talking about.

Call him Chukwuemeka and let him call you Sinmisola and laugh about it and you should both be happy you call yourselves that. That is what a marriage is, where you become ONE. Not Igbo and Yoruba.

Such pettiness. angry
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by aljharem(m): 5:55pm On Mar 12, 2012
akpanbaba: My sister use your head and watch out because some of your advisers are waiting for your husband to throw you out and they will gladly change their names to Sinmisola just to marry him.Shine your eyes well well.
good afdvice and I hope the OP listens to you
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2012
ichidodo: I have always told u yiriba guys how ugly and irritatin u guys r. We d igbos r God's people in naija. Little wonder ure men run after our women folk. But let it b known dose who get involved wit u r d dregs. We, d sons of Eri take d creme de la creme of d finest igbo womanhood and leave the dregs to u yiriba guys to fight over. My heart goes out to d yiriba women. SMH.

I dont blame you but i blame the yorubas lusting after ibo women only to start complaining about cultural differences afterwards.this wont have happened if this woman's husband had consider how ndidi sounded horrible to the ear.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by OneNaira6: 6:09pm On Mar 12, 2012
Tell your husband you do not want to change your name for anyone. Ndidi is a beautiful name, why should you change it just because you married a Yoruba man. Ask him what of your father's name you changed for him, isn't that good enough?

The next time he ask you to change your name to a name you dislike, tell him to change his name to an igbo name that you know he'll dislike.

Nickname him Chukuwuemeka Odumegwu Ikemba Ojukwu, that will annoy him. Next time he tells you to change your name, tell him to change his name to that including changing his surname to Ojukwu. Let the battling of the name changing begin grin grin

One year in marriage and una are already battling, na wa oo!!!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Z8(m): 6:16pm On Mar 12, 2012
My dear its not by 1st..ans your 1st name and it doesn't sound like he's commanding u..keep ur first name and tell him pump plane u don't like it.if u continue ans d name he'll continue callin u d name
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Mar 12, 2012
I noticed that the yoruba people are the ones saying she should accept the name. . . . . . .
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by ak47mann(m): 6:22pm On Mar 12, 2012
OP TRY AND MAKE amala with ofe onubgu for him to swallow
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by aljharem(m): 6:28pm On Mar 12, 2012
fellis: I noticed that the yoruba people are the ones saying she should accept the name. . . . . . .

It is not only yoruba people but intelligent sensible people would advice her the same. She call him Chukwuemeka as well. It is a marrage for crying out loud not a girlfriend thing.

You people are hypocritess

@ OP

I pity you,
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 12, 2012
Lol..i guess oga is joking. Lighten up.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by maclatunji: 6:49pm On Mar 12, 2012
fellis: I noticed that the yoruba people are the ones saying she should accept the name. . . . . . .

I am Yoruba and I asked her to keep her name. It is sad that the husband married her as an Ibo woman and wants to erase that identity. Where is the love there?

Yes, she may take a Yoruba name but Ndidi should remain Ndidi. The Benue State Governor's wife comes to mind here, her name is Yemisi but in Benue State she is called Doshima Suswan (pardon my spelling if I got it wrong).
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Afam4eva(m): 6:55pm On Mar 12, 2012
This is one of the reasons why i don't like Igbo ladies marrying from outside Igboland. They go never to come back. They lose their identity, Igboness and all the characteristics that comes with being Ada-Igbo.

@OP
I think you married a tribalist who likes you but hates your heritage. You should never change Ndidi for anything in the world. Next time he calls you Simisola call him Okogwu. By the time this goes on for some days he will cease to call you such.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

As A Family Man, Am I A Miser, Greedy Or Trying To Be Financially Smart? / Excess Money: Moment MC Asked Groom To Spray His Bride 500k At A Wedding Party / Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.