Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,673 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. (19161 Views)

My Sick Husband Wants Me To Be Having Sex Elsewhere / Husband Wants Divorce From Wife Because Of Sexual Starvation / 15 Brutally Honest Signs Your Husband Wants A Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by mrsolori(f): 12:46am On Mar 13, 2012
Very funny!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Ivynwa(f): 1:24am On Mar 13, 2012
I think it's just the same way a non-nigerian may want to give his/her spouse Naija names.
Giving you a yoruba name may be gladdening his heart and that of his parents with the way they like to call you that, it may be giving them a warm sense of "she is part of us", "our wife" kind of feeling. This shouldn't be a big deal, as a couple of mixed ethnicity---you guys should be having fun with the language of each other and naming each other sweet names of each other's language.

He seems to be overdoing it though wanting you to change your own name to that, that is overbearing especially considering the fact that you don't like the name. Gently make him understand that that part about changing your main name for that is not fair on you. Persuade him to change it to another yoruba name that you like, that way it won't irritate you when you get called that and if it makes him happy that you have that as your legal name, humour him and get that as part of your names not that your main name should be made away with for you to have the new name. A new name that you like very much whether formally added to your list of other names or not will not harm you or affect your dignity in any way.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by londoner: 1:41am On Mar 13, 2012
Ndidi......don't change your name.

You came from a culture and a family......your name Ndidi has its own story behind it coming from your own family. Just because you are now a wife it does not mean your husband should expect you to totally wipe away your story before you both met.

I think history will not remember you as an Igbo woman if you change your name. How would it, if it is erased?

You did not become Yoruba just because you married one. You should find out the exact story behind why you were named Ndidi (if you don't already know), and explain to him why it is important you keep that name, because it too has its own significant meaning to you and how you were received into this world.

A pet name is one thing, but to officially change your name is a sacrifice too far, not just for you but for your half Igbo descendants to come.

Please stand your own ground and do not change it.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by tpia5: 2:00am On Mar 13, 2012
the story really sounds fake to me.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 2:42am On Mar 13, 2012
akpanbaba: My sister the word of God says submit to your husband period.Pls do, so that the love will continue.
nawa o.o..must we quote bible 4 all case,u didnt quote d part dat sayz husbd shud love dia wife n respct dem(name inclusv)
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by iiiyyyk(m): 3:21am On Mar 13, 2012
if he loved your name b4 marriage and now he is struggling with your name, i will advise you look inside maybe his people are not comfortable with you being an igbo girl hence looking for a way to erase that part of your existence.

men are free to call their wife which ever name that makes both persons happy. but if a man now wants the wife to change her names officially i suspect foul play.

if you change it, one day he will prohibit you from telling people you are igbo, that may be were he is driving to.

do not change your name Ndidiamaka, (biko diwe ya), and also don't stop him from calling you his own name. he is your husband.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by papatosibe: 3:29am On Mar 13, 2012
The OP is my ph'ock buddy, she is trolling.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by duduspace(m): 3:47am On Mar 13, 2012
Some very creative solutions right here. grin
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by bashr8: 4:19am On Mar 13, 2012
why didnt he just marry a yoruba woman instead, i really pity yoruba women cus it seem their men are no longer looking that way rather going for non yorubas. well he can call you sumiwatever but your official names remains ndidi ,if you erase that you are insulting the igbos nothing like love in that cus when he throws you out or goes for another wife like they do, it is your relatives the igbos what will stand by you.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Konnektions146(m): 5:40am On Mar 13, 2012
i wonder wat iss even wrong with dis marrriage business, yu some flimsy,baselss issue causin problems.

@N.D, if u dont make him undastand there is a place called igboland were he came to marry yu from, things wont get better. i guess he is been pressurized but work with him and make yur home more peaceful.

this one he is advocating for a total name change, that means non of your children will have an igbo name

if u guys dont undastand yurselves well, it may affect u later though i percieve yu re not a walk-over...nne represent well,

udo diri gi
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Kayday(m): 5:46am On Mar 13, 2012
I guess this is a mere fiction. You'll not be a wise woman to bring ur young family to the market place for ridicule. I think you have seen the quality of advise they are giving u? U may soon be on the next bus to onitsha. Good luck.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by OneNaira6: 6:12am On Mar 13, 2012
Konnektions146: i wonder wat iss even wrong with dis marrriage business, yu some flimsy,baselss issue causin problems.

@N.D, if u dont make him undastand there is a place called igboland were he came to marry yu from, things wont get better. i guess he is been pressurized but work with him and make yur home more peaceful.

this one he is advocating for a total name change, that means non of your children will have an igbo name

if u guys dont undastand yurselves well, it may affect u later though i percieve yu re not a walk-over...nne represent well,

udo diri gi

Actually this make sense. If he's advocating for her to change her Igbo name in just 1 and a half year of marriage, he'll probably deny her chances of naming any of their children with an Igbo name.

OP wise up. Watch your husband carefully, and stand firm to your belief.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by OneNaira6: 6:17am On Mar 13, 2012
ndidibabe: Thanks to everyone that made meaningful contribution to this thread. I came home very late from work today and met my husband watching the newcastle vs arsenal match. The score was 1-1 as at that time but he was quite happy. He said his boys(arsenal players were doing well). I said to him ''Chukwu, have you eaten?'' but the look on his face was quite terrible. Obviously, he doesnt like the name . So what makes him feel i like Sinmisola?

Well this just shows your husband is a hidden tribalist.

Goodluck on the marriage.

Na you marry am.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 6:39am On Mar 13, 2012
i dnt thnk ds shuld b a prob,dnt nag bout it tl he talks bout d name change,dn jus speak 2 hm,tl hm dats d name ur parents gave nd u cnt change it cs u wnt it 2 b urz nd dy wnt want that,ure ibo nd u av to remain 1,d issue should nt arise 4 simi... Whch knd lv.xcpt he is willing to let al ur kds ans ibo names so y change sm1s chld name.d last name don do.ur parents try nd dy knw y dy gave d name.wen ur 1st dota cms name ha simisola.gbam
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by queensmith: 6:39am On Mar 13, 2012
loool ndidi your story is funny! and your right what kind of a name is sinmisola, your husband has been watching too many yemi my love movies and wants to act out love scenes for you!

Abeg tell him to sit down and sharrap, I think he might be joking sha he doesnt sound very serious.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by MyVicky: 9:31am On Mar 13, 2012
The progress and development of Nigeria is seriously at stake until all the diverse ethnic groups can truly unite and be aversed to all forms of tribalism, ethno-centricity and ego-centricity! Virtually no Nigerian would complain if asked to change his/her name to an English/American/European/Jewish/Arabian name; We are very quick to adopt names like Vicky (Lol), Jennifer, Cinderella, smith, Candy, smart etc but visibly angry @ each other's tribal appellations! I'm sure your husband won't ask you to change your name if you bear 'Blessing, Praise, Joy, Gift, Jewellery, Mary etc' and you wouldn't complain either if he had asked you to change to any of the aforementioned names! This is just a case of pure subconscious tribal disapproval. You love each other but dislike each other's tribal lineage. You need to communicate more with your husband and dispel every iota of tribalistic tendencies he may have against you and you should also examine yourself objectively and get rid of such tendencies; the long term survival and bliss of your home partly depends of this! Good luck to you and your home.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 13, 2012
tunnytox:
Its YOU and your entire family and your generation yet unborn that is cursed.

Bruh, was that really necessary?
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 13, 2012
obipeter: honestly this is supose to be a personal or family affair, @ Nd maybe they did not teach u this in ur marriage course that u dont allow a third partie in ur relationship affairs. Beside u re meant to submit to ur husband as the bible says in all things, so that he will love u the more. Consider this dear

The Bible may well tell wives to submit to their husbands. It doesn't tell them to delete their identity, which is effectively what this guy is trying to do. Don't quote the Bible out of context.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by tpia5: 11:35am On Mar 13, 2012
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by tevinsolt: 11:46am On Mar 13, 2012
@ndidibabe i just wanna tell you this if you really want your marriage to last stop asking opinions from outsiders, you know why? they won't help you at all, it will only ruin your marriage. communication is what you need, whatever it is that is btw you both should sorted out behind closed doors or by informing family members not outsiders that act like animals to each other here on nairaland.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by akinnux(m): 11:53am On Mar 13, 2012
Obviously, your husband is very petty and perhaps needs some education. As far as am concerned he has no right to give you a new name, except may be just a pet name. He must learn to love for who you are and of course your ethic culture. He must realise that no culture is superior to another.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Tobiustobius: 1:26pm On Mar 13, 2012
Myself2: Your husband actually hates your Ibo identity,point this out to him and tell him how not-s0o-cool and chauvinistic it is for him to ask you to change your first name,as if losing your last name for him is not enough.
If he denies hating your tribe and insists on calling you Simi-whatever,you go ahead and reciprocate by calling him Anukporonku

Thank you, may you live long.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by emmy04(m): 2:29pm On Mar 13, 2012
THIS IS WHY I SO MUCH HATE THE YORUBA PEOPLE... ALWAYS TRIBALISTIC IN ALL THINGS. Bleep!!!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by lukkie(m): 2:53pm On Mar 13, 2012
I am Yoruba but I think your husband is an tribal bigot. Pet name is fine but changing your first name is crazy. It's a sign of crazier things to come in future. What if you change your name & you happen to divorce in future? You'll then revert to Ndidi? I suspect the pressure may be coming from his family though. Maybe he's one of those guys who can't think for themselves. You have to smartly reject this though. No matter how much dowry he paid, he still has to respect you & your background. I guess he knew this before marrying an Igbo lady. Calling him a shocking Igbo name is not a bad idea. Perhaps that'll reset his medulla.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by emmy04(m): 3:14pm On Mar 13, 2012
THIS IS WHY I SO MUCH HATE THE YORUBA PEOPLE... ALWAYS TRIBALISTIC IN ALL THINGS. I RATHER REMAIN SINGLE OR BE A HOMOSEXUAL THAN TO MARRY A YORUBA WOMAN.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by tpia5: 4:20pm On Mar 13, 2012
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by ronkebp(f): 5:07pm On Mar 13, 2012
emmy04: THIS IS WHY I SO MUCH HATE THE YORUBA PEOPLE... ALWAYS TRIBALISTIC IN ALL THINGS. I RATHER REMAIN SINGLE OR BE A HOMOSEXUAL THAN TO MARRY A YORUBA WOMAN.

As if they counted the yorubas' and they say they are not enough!!!Sheeessh!!!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by dont8(m): 6:13pm On Mar 13, 2012
I don't think this should be a problem in your home. Does he want you to change your name officially? If yes, fine, adopt the three names in your documents, you'll be Simisola to him and Ndidi to family and friends. My sister is married to a muslim man and they gave her Maryam but to us, she's Shade.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 13, 2012
Find the meaning of Sinmisola, you may love the name if you know the meaning.
however, there should be limitations to how you expose your marriage issues online.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Horlarbissy: 7:07pm On Mar 13, 2012
i'm a yoruba man, sinmisola is a lovely name. So not to wast mush of my time, to save your marriage you have to dance along with your husband, may god help you.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Horlarbissy: 7:27pm On Mar 13, 2012
i'm a yoruba man, sinmisola hoo? Wat a wonderful name, your husband is a perfect man and he realy loves you, so in order to save your marriage you have to dance along with your husband, and make shure you take care of him. May god help you. Bye 4rm kenny.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by kooto(m): 7:32pm On Mar 13, 2012
A yoruba friend of mine once told me when he travels to the east or meet igbos he introduces himself by his real name Ife and when he senses the person(s) might not remember that, he said i tell them you can call me Ifunanya in my language Ifunanya means love; they call him that till today and he does answer. if your name is more important than your marriage stick to it. you can also give him an ibo name, a pet name, this should not be an issue atall.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

As A Family Man, Am I A Miser, Greedy Or Trying To Be Financially Smart? / Can She Assumed A Wife Responsibility When Engaged? / Secrets You Should Never Tell Your Partner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.