Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? (12909 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: Wise Man John Chi Returns To TB Joshua's Church! / One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? / Solomon: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man Or A Foolish Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by SNCOQ3(m): 9:55am On Mar 24, 2012
Seun:
He was not a wise man by modern standards, and certainly not a good man. But the world was dumber then.

Seun, Do you care to explain what you mean by "by modern standard"?? Do you think there is such a thing as "modern standard" of morality? What you are referring to probably without knowing what you mean is Post-Modernism which is relativistic at its core. Relativism is the root of Post-modernism which actually denies the existence of Objective Morality. So the statement "He was not a wise man by modern standards" if reduced with Occam's razor as i have done, will expose a statement that is self-contradictory and therefore nonsensical.

Seun:
He was not a wise man by modern standards, [b]and certainly not a good man.[/b]But the world was dumber then.
And how would you know since you judge by "modern standard".
As a christian who believe in Absolute Morality; I believe King Solomon started as a good man, consumed by pride and unbridled passion became a bad man but turned to God in repentance at the twilight of his life. Please read the book of Ecclesiestes, it is a book written by solomon after his "experimentation" with sin; it reveals that having the best of Money, Wisdom and education,Fame and Power, Fun, Accomplishments, Relationships without God gives you nothing but misery. Solomon's story is nothing new; Luficer, before creation was blessed with unimaginable beauty and wisdom but pride corrupted him into Satan. History is full of men who started well but allowed pride and uncontrolled lust to corrupt their wisdom.

Seun:
He was not a wise man by modern standards, and certainly not a good man.But the world was dumber then.

How did you know the world was dumber then? You think technology makes you smarter? on the contrary, technology makes you dumber...I can proove it.
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by nonen(m): 11:42am On Mar 24, 2012
from our line of thought, we are misconstruing wisdom for perfection. I guess they mean very diifferent things. Solomon was the wisest man on earth during his time, his wisdom was Godly bestowed, non like it. Little wonder more notable & powerful rulers (likely more virtuous than solomon)were travelling miles to get a feel of his wisdom, not perfection.

1 Like

Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by Rayjaymay(m): 11:53am On Mar 24, 2012
To my own perspective,i think he was the wisest king cos during his reign will neva heard of a war that took place.
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by SNCOQ3(m): 12:06pm On Mar 24, 2012
nonen: from our line of thought, we are misconstruing wisdom for perfection. I guess they mean very diifferent things. Solomon was the wisest man on earth during his time, his wisdom was Godly bestowed, non like it. Little wonder more notable & powerful rulers (likely more virtuous than solomon)were travelling miles to get a feel of his wisdom, not perfection.

take +1000 grin

Wow!!! This sums it up for me...you're so right. Thumbs up.
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by publisher(m): 1:29pm On Mar 24, 2012
David and King Solomon were still men after God's heart.
Their stories makes us to understand that God loves us beyond MOST of our sins,so long as such sins are not jotted down in the Ten commandments. But as for
King David: This guys was a womanizer from day one and God was OK with it. But as soon as David broke the 'thou shall not kill' and 'thou shall not covert thy neighbours wife' rule,things went sour. Even while God scolded David for taking Uriah's wife,he said;'if u wanted more women,i would have given you',but not a poor man's wife.
King Solomon: God knew he was a womanizer from day one,but as soon as he broke the first commandment,things went sour.
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by Youngsage: 10:39pm On Mar 24, 2012
Points to show that king Solomon is really Wise.
1. Solomon asked God for wisdom, and God gave him. It requires a little wisdom to be able to ask God for wisdom outta numerous options.

2. He followed in the footsteps of his father by using his wisdom to serve God, though at the first part of his reign.

3. Let us note here that the Devil was not happy at this and as it is his aim in this world to steal and to destroy, he did his best to bring down Solomon.

4. Note also that at this point, he was also the richest man on earth coupled with his wisdom. It was through his riches he became proud and conceited, and thus felt that he could get whatsoever he desires; leading to sin. Also the wisdom of the world(of the devil) by the devil's devise, lead him astray further, he married pagan ladies, leading to greater sins and d eventual division of the kingdom.

5.Although the temple was built during Solomon 's reign(we can also see wisdom in action as regards the construction), we can say that he began well and ended badly.
Conclusion is that solomon was, and is still the wisest human ever on earth, by whatever standards, be it worldly or spiritually. This can be proven from history and evidence from bible researchers, as his works are still evident today, and also from the Bible.
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by Yujin(m): 11:06pm On Mar 24, 2012
buzugee: dudring the reign of king solomon, this was the era when israel hadnt been raided by outside forces. israel was still right with the lord. the place was a den of luxury. priests strolling around in their purple priestly robes with golden embroidments and with golden drinking cups and golden sceptres. the women they say when they walk their feet never touched the ground. each man had his own vineyard. all the elders met at the courtyard to jerusalem while all the kids played together. it was lovely. no bills, everything was free. there was no hunger, no diseases, everything was lovely. it was only when king solomon start worshipping idols that he, through his idol worshipping allowed the lord to remove his protection from israel and then the greeks started the begining of the end of israel. so the era you are talking about started with the maccabees. the era of intense oppression by the greeks and the greeks putting taxes on them and desecrating their temples and killing the israelites and whatnot. prior to that it was all lovely. when alexander the greek conquered the world is when effectively caucasians started taking over the world.

LAMENTATIONS 5 VS 4 'We have to pay to drink our own water. We have to pay to chop our own wood'.
These bloody caucasians. they havent changed. they are still taxing everybody to the hilt. its their modus operandus. as soon as they took over israel they put taxes on every commodity. the lord let the caucasians take over because he removed his protection from israel.

@buzugee, I must commend ur scriptural quotations & 'knowledge'. However, you must seek the Holy Spirit's guidance to understand the scriptures and help you obey the Lord. I must make some corrections here: the period of Solomon's reign is no way close to the era when the greeks held sway in world politics. Babylon it was that ended the reign of the Israeli kings during the reign of (Zedekiah of Judah) by Emperor Nebuchadnezzer. Babylon was swept away by Medo-Persian empire led by Cyrus & Darius which was then defeated by the greeks led by Alexander the Great. It was at this period that the maccabues brothers led the Israelis to revolt against the oppressive greeks. This was many centuries after Solomon's death.

@Topic, King Solomon was indeed at a point in time the wisest man. His contribution in the books of proverbs & ecclesiastis has surely withstood the test of time. A simple adherance to the admonitions in those books will definitely mark out any young person in this age as being wise. Though the latter part of his life was in sharp contrast to the beginning, it shows us that wisdom is tied to the love, fear & obedience of God. Reminds me of the philosopher Descartes who doubted everything including his own existence only for it to occur to him that he was just being foolish since he exists. Atheist in the house take note. The spot where solomon built the magnificent temple is still well noted to this day. The absence of dinasuors today does not mean they never existed.

3 Likes

Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by buzugee(m): 11:13pm On Mar 24, 2012
Yujin:

@buzugee, I must commend ur scriptural quotations & 'knowledge'. However, you must seek the Holy Spirit's guidance to understand the scriptures and help you obey the Lord. I must make some corrections here: the period of Solomon's reign is no way close to the era when the greeks held sway in world politics. Babylon it was that ended the reign of the Israeli kings during the reign of (Zedekiah of Judah) by Emperor Nebuchadnezzer. Babylon was swept away by Medo-Persian empire led by Cyrus & Darius which was then defeated by the greeks led by Alexander the Great. It was at this period that the maccabues brothers led the Israelis to revolt against the oppressive greeks. This was many centuries after Solomon's death.

@Topic, King Solomon was indeed at a point in time the wisest man. His contribution in the books of proverbs & ecclesiastis has surely withstood the test of time. A simple adherance to the admonitions in those books will definitely mark out any young person in this age as being wise. Though the latter part of his life was in sharp contrast to the beginning, it shows us that wisdom is tied to the love, fear & obedience of God. Reminds me of the philosopher Descartes who doubted everything including his own existence only for it to occur to him that he was just being foolish since he exists. Atheist in the house take note. The spot where solomon built the magnificent temple is still well noted to this day. The absence of dinasuors today does not mean they never existed.
preciate the compliments bruh and we are saying exactly the same thing. the point i was trying to make to the brother in a round about way was that israel was not in dire straits during king solomons reign. the place was in luxury. cuz dude was saying their was poverty and wars etc back then. i was trying to school dude that this was a period of peace and plenty. way before the invasions as you eloquently stated. nice lil history lesson you threw in there.

2 Likes

Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by emsquare(m): 9:56am On Mar 25, 2012
He was b4 the fall!
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:45am On Mar 26, 2012
Yup!!

He was wise enough to fuc|k 1000 bitches in his 60year life span. . . Dude must have started f|ucking at the age of 2days old.
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by DoveJD: 4:57pm On Mar 31, 2013
Callotti: No he was not. All we are told was that he was wise. No proof of his wisdom. 419!

So who is d 419?
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by DoveJD: 5:18pm On Mar 31, 2013
diluminati:

how did you know? is there proof anywhere else apart from the bible?
What other proof are u lookin for? Just because u ve hatred for Christianity makes u nt to believe? If u dont blive d Christian bible, go ask d Jews (where solomon came frm). Maybe they will explain to u beta.
Re: Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? by DoveJD: 5:38pm On Mar 31, 2013
diluminati:

that is very lame. there is no where else we can verify that even david existed talkless solomon but we can know from even sources outside the bible that Darius and Nebuchadnezer lived and died but what about your bible heroes?
Have you.been to Isreal? Go there nd ask d Jews, they'll explaplain beta. Also, ask Muslems about Abraham...nd tınk wisely b4 makin comment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Naija Ladies, Looking For Husband In Chuch Forced To Strip unclothed! / Daily Devotional (A Gathering Of Eagles) / Is Pastor Kumuyi Really A Human Being?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.