Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports (32567 Views)

PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima / Senators On Tour Of Federal Roads In South-East Nigeria (Photos) / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by OneNaira6: 10:58pm On Apr 18, 2012
chino11: Nothing will stop the up coming Anambra Int'l Cargo/Passenger airport as approved by FG to be site in Otuocha near the new Orient Oil/Gas Refinery. How can Delta build an airport with Onitsha/Nnewi in mind, without considering what its own people needs in accordance with scale of preference?

If I must say they did not steal anybody's chance as (Afam) proffered rather they have wasted tax payers money on a project that is yet to be completed.

Chino we get it. You from anambra and you are proud of it. Do you need to keep attacking everyother state whenever someone makes an inquiring of it that you oppose?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nnenna1(f): 11:23pm On Apr 18, 2012
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:53am On Apr 19, 2012
beneli: Below is a Youtube clip that shows what can be done at the level of the state(s) when there is executive will to do so. Clearly, the only thing limiting our development as a people - and indeed our progress as a nation - is we ourselves . . . and the demons such as T.A Orji governors we are burdened with! After watching the clip, I felt overwhelming sorrow for my state, Abia . . .

Enjoy -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjgZAW5j7us&list=UU44hqJiIK_HYYflwAkOqAQQ&index=1&feature=plcp

^^^Thanks bruh. I'll be lying if i say i'm not impressed. Just watch and see as the new Terminal is delivered on time (and hopefully within budget). That's one thing i like about Akpabio: he doesn't faff about but delivers results faster than you can tick on a score sheet.

And to think the cost of building this edifice is just a little over 18 Billion Naira, whereas the one in Asaba (which is yet to be fully completed after Lord know how many years) has so far gulped 40 Billion Naira and counting shocked angry angry angry>. Anyway, God dey.

I think this goes to show that, as we put pressure on the Federal Gov't to build a befitting Airport at Enugu, we should -as a region- think of how we can set the ball rolling to construct another (International) Airport at Owerri on a PPP basis. Imo may not be as rich as Akwa Ibom, but with the backing of the whole Igbo Nation behind it, they should be able to pull it off.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 2:47am On Apr 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Thanks bruh. I'll be lying if i say i'm not impressed. Just watch and see as the new Terminal is delivered on time (and hopefully within budget). That's one thing i like about Akpabio: he doesn't faff about but delivers results faster than you can tick on a score sheet.

And to think the cost of building this edifice is just a little over 18 Billion Naira, whereas the one in Asaba (which is yet to be fully completed after Lord know how many years) has so far gulped 40 Billion Naira and counting shocked angry angry angry>. Anyway, God dey.

I think this goes to show that, as we put pressure on the Federal Gov't to build a befitting Airport at Enugu, we should -as a region- think of how we can set the ball rolling to construct another (International) Airport at Owerri on a PPP basis. Imo may not be as rich as Akwa Ibom, but with the backing of the whole Igbo Nation behind it, they should be able to pull it off.

That is the spirit my brother! cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 2:51am On Apr 19, 2012
^^

I have to add that we should not rely on the FG totally, even for the Enugu one because we need WORLD CLASS international airports!
The FG may try to just build a shabby one to avoid rancour from jealous folks.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by aljharem(m): 2:52am On Apr 19, 2012
Yawns
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 3:02am On Apr 19, 2012
alj harem: Yawns

Nwokem why are you yarning?
You'll be there yawning your jaws off and we will leave you FAR behind! lol cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by aljharem(m): 3:07am On Apr 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

Nwokem why are you yarning?
You'll be there yawning your jaws off and we will leave you FAR behind! lol cool

Mazi eze, your situation is simple and you are just making it complex.

1. demand for an international airport from the FG (standard airport not an air strip)

2. Demand for a new Niger-bridge

3. The governor should build a good transport system

4. More traders should used the port harcourt seaport.

That is the solution to "your" problem. really, or o buru na o bu asi.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 3:16am On Apr 19, 2012
alj harem:

Mazi eze, it situation is simple and you are just making it complex.

1. demand for an international airport from the FG (standard airport not an air strip)

2. Demand for a new Niger-bridge

3. The governor should build a good transport system

4. More traders should used the port harcourt seaport.

That is the solution to "your" problem. really, or o buru na o bu asi.

On a serious note we should not demand anything from the FG. We should just build them!
Yes we can! cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino24: 9:15am On Apr 24, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

Hmmmmm.

What if we build the said Int'l airport in Anambra where it is most needed because of economic importance of Onitsha/Nnewi zone and its central location, being that one can assess it from Enugu state, Kogi, Benue, Delta and others.

Don't bother bro, because Anambra has since embarked on its Int'l Cargo/Passenger airport in conjunction with Orient Pet. Refinery in Anambra North area very close to their oil and gas plant.

My advice is that each state should build what will benefit its own people, just like Anambra people needs the airport more than any other state in the region. Dalu
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by SamIkenna: 11:15pm On May 28, 2012
chino24: [/b]

Hmmmmm.

What if we build the said Int'l airport in Anambra where it is most needed because of economic importance of Onitsha/Nnewi zone and its central location, being that one can assess it from Enugu state, Kogi, Benue, Delta and others.

Don't bother bro, because Anambra has since embarked on its Int'l Cargo/Passenger airport in conjunction with Orient Pet. Refinery in Anambra North area very close to their oil and gas plant.

My advice is that each state should build what will benefit its own people, just like Anambra people needs the airport more than any other state in the region. Dalu

As long as its built in the East I'm fine with it. Anambra has so much potentials to be the richest state in Nigeria and building an international airport in it is not out of line. Anambra and Abia state should be our export hubs and our leaders should take not of that. I'm from Imo and I love it to death, however, I see Imo as our own Massachusetts - a city of ivy schools and overflowing with Knowledge.

I know we're from different states, but our leaders should work closely with our governors to harmonize where certain infrastructures should be situated in the East. After the harmonization, all Igbos should be made to contribute towards building those projects with our without FG.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:22am On May 29, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

As long as its built in the East I'm fine with it. Anambra has so much potentials to be the richest state in Nigeria and building an international airport in it is not out of line. Anambra and Abia state should be our export hubs and our leaders should take not of that. I'm from Imo and I love it to death, however, I see Imo as our own Massachusetts - a city of ivy schools and overflowing with Knowledge.

I know we're from different states, but our leaders should work closely with our governors to harmonize where certain infrastructures should be situated in the East. After the harmonization, all Igbos should be made to contribute towards building those projects with our without FG.

^^^On the bolded: fat chance of that happening!!! Have you seen some of the Governors we have to work with?

I have always thought a compulsory contribution to a SOVEREIGN IGBO WEALTH FUND [/b]should be made by [b]ALL Igbos at home and in diaspora. This fund could then be used in partnership with counterpart funds from state governments (on a PPP basis) to execute projects that impact on the whole of the South East and Igbo speaking parts of Rivers and Delta States: projects like inter-city highways; a regional rail network with extended links to Port Harcourt, Asaba, Calabar and Uyo; coal and gas fired power plants; agriculture (with major emphasis on rice cultivation and processing in Ebonyi); award of scholarships to our bright sons and daughters; constructing two kickas/s airports in Enugu and Owerri (i still think the airport in Asaba could serve Anambra, and funds available would then be ploughed back into the rail network linking Asaba with Onitsha); building a tourist/golf resort at Oguta Lake and Enugu; building a shopping mall in Onitsha that will intergrate the Onitsha main market; improving the Onitsha River Port; providing enabling infrastructure in Aba and Nnewi for new and moribund industries to thrive; etc-etc-etc.

This fund can be sourced via the stock market with social media such as facebook being used to connect with Ndigbo on a national/worlwide basis. Wealthy Igbo sons and daughters can sponsor/pay for as many units as they can afford, and the aim should be to reach a target of nothing less than $15 Billion over a time period of 5 years.

We have not yet utilised our full potentials as a vibrant and enterprising people, and we have to make haste or risk being left behind.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by SamIkenna: 3:56am On May 29, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^On the bolded: fat chance of that happening!!! Have you seen some of the Governors we have to work with?

I have always thought a compulsory contribution to a SOVEREIGN IGBO WEALTH FUND [/b]should be made by [b]ALL Igbos at home and in diaspora. This fund could then be used in partnership with counterpart funds from state governments (on a PPP basis) to execute projects that impact on the whole of the South East and Igbo speaking parts of Rivers and Delta States: projects like inter-city highways; a regional rail network with extended links to Port Harcourt, Asaba, Calabar and Uyo; coal and gas fired power plants; agriculture (with major emphasis on rice cultivation and processing in Ebonyi); award of scholarships to our bright sons and daughters; constructing two kickas/s airports in Enugu and Owerri (i still think the airport in Asaba could serve Anambra, and funds available would then be ploughed back into the rail network linking Asaba with Onitsha); building a tourist/golf resort at Oguta Lake and Enugu; building a shopping mall in Onitsha that will intergrate the Onitsha main market; improving the Onitsha River Port; providing enabling infrastructure in Aba and Nnewi for new and moribund industries to thrive; etc-etc-etc.

This fund can be sourced via the stock market with social media such as facebook being used to connect with Ndigbo on a national/worlwide basis. Wealthy Igbo sons and daughters can sponsor/pay for as many units as they can afford, and the aim should be to reach a target of nothing less than $15 Billion over a time period of 5 years.

We have not yet utilised our full potentials as a vibrant and enterprising people, and we have to make haste or risk being left behind.

Nwannem, what you wrote above is the key. It has always been my belief that we, Ndigbo, are the ones holding ourselves down. Politics or no politics, presidency or no presidency, FG assistance or not, Ndigbo can be a first-world nation inside a third-world country. We can pull it off only and only if we pull our resources together and give our region the much needed infrastructures that will kick-start our rapid industrialization.

Now, how do we start this journey of a thousand miles? Who should lead it? Should it be the old gaurds? While it looks like what I have above are questions, questions, and questions, the answers to them are not far-fetched. I say - lets start anyhow we know. Lets create a facebook movement that 'll appeal to the conscience of Ndigbos, especially in diaspora. Let's use that medium to create an avenue for people to make contributions for the scholarships of smart kids in Igboland. I believe it'll a master stroke to start with the generation of funds for scholarships, which I'll be more than happy to be the first to donate. If we're successful in getting funds for this nobel agenda then we would have given this process a great deal of legitimacy that'll propel it to the next step.

I understand people are scared of 419 these days but I'll rather be scammed for the future of Igboland than be scammed for a foolish cause. The future of Igboland belongs to us, the youths. Our fathers have paid their dues in sweat, tears, and blood and we cant ask them for more so, we, the youths, should lead this one. In summary, lets start this journey of a thousand miles with funds for scholarships. If we can pull it off, then we can pull the rest off.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:53am On May 29, 2012
^
Sam my brother, where have you been? We have discussed the above in the "council". We are waiting your own contribution.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by SamIkenna: 5:35pm On May 29, 2012
Onlytruth: ^
Sam my brother, where have you been? We have discussed the above in the "council". We are waiting your own contribution.

My brother, I just got bogged down in a new assignment thats keeping me away from home on regular basis. I try to chip in some words here (NL) from time to time but for the most part I havent been very active online like before. I read some of umunna's contributions from time to time though (I just dont read all my mails, especially if they're bulkmails. Its a bad habit I developed due to impossible workloads I have sometimes), I guess I missed the one that dealt with scholarships. You can be assured that I'll go back to see what I missed. Dont be offended bro.
Provision of aid, no matter how small, to bright boys and girls in Igboland is very important to me. Count on me to check with umunna soon. Remain blessed.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by PointB: 7:19pm On May 29, 2012
Onlytruth: I was reading an interview by Chiwetel Ejiofor about how he comes to Nigeria. His father died in a car crash when he was just 11 years.
He was born in London, but always visits Nigeria: Eastern Nigeria that is.

Chiwetel Ejiofor:

"My family has founded a school in Nigeria.
We are developing a foundation to help people go to university, and setting up water projects. We work specifically in communities we are connected to and we can help directly. I’ve visited Nigeria since I was a kid. As a teenager, I travelled there on my own. I would always go back to the east. I’m familiar with the place. Now I normally go to Abuja and then east from there, which is a calmer experience than Lagos." -Chiwetel Ejiofor
http://www.arisemagazine.net/articles/far-from-home/87412/

I imagine he lands in Abuja, and then takes a local flight (death trap) to Enugu or Owerri perhaps.
Why can't he land straight to either airport from London?
Is it one day if (God forbid) anything happens in his sensless local transits, we would start crying!

We need these INTERNATIONAL airports ASAP! cool

I can only imagine what Chiwetel Ejiofor passes through each time he visits his ancestral land. Now factor that for every Igbo sons and Daughter who have to fly in from other part of the world to visit the land's of the ancestors for business or pleasure. The inconvenience is better imagined.

The need for these airports are a matter of both strategic national economic and security interest . Failure of Government to provide this basic amenity for the teeming population of SE is one the main cause of urban migration, and pressure on available resource. It accounts for reason why Lagos congested among other; it account also for reason why Nigeria is lagging behind in Millennium Development Goals.

Keeping a huge swath of the economically vibrant population with fewer economic infrastructure is detrimental to long term objective of vibrant economy.

Airports and Seaport are long overdue for the SE Economic Zone.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Cholls(m): 10:22pm On Apr 09, 2022
Onlytruth:
I laugh at those telling me that Nigeria has three half used international airports!
Like, has any of you really sat down to find out WHY those airports are half used?
Do you build airports away from its main users?

I bet you all that about 50% of those who would have used airports in the SE for instance (being Nigeria's ONLY REAL commerce region), are not using it. In fact they have probably downgraded their businesses to conform with the retrogressive and recidivist Nigerian reality. The only ones that travel all the way to Lagos to do their travels are the DIE HARD business people. Should that be the case? Why must simple things be so hard in Nigeria?
And for someone to come here and shamelessly say that Nigeria is a "developing nation" (read hopeless and never to grow) is truly depressing and saddening.

If you people don't know, I would demolish 10 so called international airports in commercially backwards parts of Nigeria, and build one at Onitsha to serve Onitsha and Nnewi.

The three airports I identified would be serving about 40 million people in Igboland.
Is that too much for us?

This is why I say that our people need a different type of education. sad
cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Shiites Protest In Abuja Despite Killing Of Some Of Their Members / Celebration At Muhammad Matawalle's House Over Zamfara Supreme Court Victory / FG offers free business registration for 250,000 MSMEs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.