Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,057 members, 7,956,949 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:33 PM

South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports (33207 Views)

PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima / Senators On Tour Of Federal Roads In South-East Nigeria (Photos) / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by achi4u(m): 12:05pm On Apr 05, 2012
brothers keep it coming!!!

munwa ka bu nwata akwukwo'
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 05, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You, uncivilized baboon need to make up your mind whether you are serving Jesus or Okija shrine gods. You quote Psalm 144 on the one hand and express your belief in evil spirits on the other. I weep for you mumu.

One thing I am sure of is that my Igbo will continue to improve whether you like it or not.

LMAO
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:59pm On Apr 05, 2012
manny4life:

Eze, you're somewhat right; however, though the Sovereign Government of a nation holds the sole authority to grant preliminary license and approval plans to build and design, and operate an airport, however, ALL airports which are designated for international purposes (international flights and cargo etc) must be classified and pass certification standard test by the International Civil Aviation Organization. That a government classifies its airports and or adds "international" to its name doesn't mean the airport is an internationally ICAO certified airport, however, when ICAO does finally grant certification, classification does come with it.

In other words, regardless of what the home government classifies or tags the airport, EVERY and ALL international airports must earn the right by ICAO to be called international
. U.S and Europe, Asia and Middle East International airports have ICAO designations and classes they belong to. Take it like someone who spent their investment going to law school or medical school, at the end of the day, when you graduate, you still have to go through the rigorous testing, licensing, or certification process of passing your bar exams or your medical board exams. Now some professional boards will have different classifications for their members. You went to law school don't mean you can practice law, you have to earn the right to be called a lawyer/attorney by passing your bar exams, same rule applies.

My brother thank you for the information.
Madu adighi abu omacha ncha.
I don't know whether this explains what happened to Jerry Rawlings as he was entering Nigeria for Ojukwu's funeral, though I highly doubt that. His must be that Enugu is yet to be authorized by FG to receive international flights. His flight was a private flight, and he can very well decide to land in the worst airport in the world straight from Ghana.
Well, let us get those airports first.
If I were Anambra state governor, I will kit up that Onitsha international cargo airport so well that when I head for Aso rock to seek FULL international status, Jona will have no choice. cool
I know about three people from my town Nnewi who can build that airport from their pockets, and share profits from it with the state/federal government. Onitsha has no need to lie prostrate. This city is also a mega city in its own right. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:59pm On Apr 05, 2012
I'll be back!v cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:07pm On Apr 05, 2012
Onlytruth:

I don't know whether this explains what happened to Jerry Rawlings as he was entering Nigeria for Ojukwu's funeral, though I highly doubt that. His must be that Enugu is yet to be authorized by FG to receive international flights. His flight was a private flight, and he can very well decide to land in the worst airport in the world straight from Ghana.
If I were Anambra state governor, I will kit up that Onitsha international cargo airport so well that when I head for Aso rock to seek FULL international status, Jona will have no choice. cool
I know about three people from my town Nnewi who can build that airport from their pockets, and share profits from it with the state/federal government. Onitsha has no need to lie prostrate. This city is also a mega city in its own right. cool

That is why Anambra and Orient Petroleum are now intensifying efforts in developing a world class Anambra Cargo/Passenger Airport, then subsequently FG will be forced to tag it International airport for it to be albe receive international flights directly due to huge economic activities within Onitsha and Nnewi zone.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 8:15pm On Apr 05, 2012
chino11:

That is why Anambra and Orient Petroleum are now intensifying efforts in developing a world class Anambra Cargo/Passenger Airport, then subsequently FG will be forced to tag it International airport for it to be albe receive international flights directly due to huge economic activities within Onitsha and Nnewi zone.

Is that airport local or international cargo airport?
I wish that the Peter Obi admin will finish it before his exit in 2014 so that the next governor (hopefully a Soludo) would take it to the next level -FULL INTERNATIONAL STATUS. cool

BTW I got some good endorsement from home (from a very reliable source) that Peter Obi is showing a new sense of urgency in construction/reconstruction of roads.
If we get that international airport at Onitsha, the economy of SE would simply explode! cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:42am On Apr 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

Is that airport local or international cargo airport?
I wish that the Peter Obi admin will finish it before his exit in 2014 so that the next governor (hopefully a Soludo) would take it to the next level -FULL INTERNATIONAL STATUS. cool

BTW I got some good endorsement from home (from a very reliable source) that Peter Obi is showing a new sense of urgency in construction/reconstruction of roads.
If we get that international airport at Onitsha, the economy of SE would simply explode! cool

Yes, I believe that is the first step to have an airport that can be upgraded anytime. Its the same reason they moved it from Oba to the new site now in Anambra North (Otuocha), because found out that Oba site does not have room for expansion, but Otuocha area has limitless room for any form of expansion to any level due to massive land in that region.

The airport is about 15min to Onitsha via GRA, 25 min to Awka and about 40-45min to Nnewi which makes is confluence Cargo/Passenger airport that can also connect people in Kogi, Benue and Nsukka via the new road that is being constructed by FG that will be linking Anambra to Abuja directly via Kogi. Am sure with the airport done, the next step is to get it internationally recognized for international flight.

On the area of roads, like I have kept informing you here on NL, but you have deliberately ignored it, am happy that someone else is corroborating my earlier position. lol. Am happy that at least you can now believe in Peter Obi. lol

I know for sure By His Grace the airport will be up and running before Obi leaves in 2014, because from all indications he is using his good relationship with GEJ to better SE and particularly Anambra.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 8:34am On Apr 06, 2012
chino11:

Yes, I believe that is the first step to have an airport that can be upgraded anytime. Its the same reason they moved it from Oba to the new site now in Anambra North (Otuocha), because found out that Oba site does not have room for expansion, but Otuocha area has limitless room for any form of expansion to any level due to massive land in that region.

The airport is about 15min to Onitsha via GRA, 25 min to Awka and about 40-45min to Nnewi which makes is confluence Cargo/Passenger airport that can also connect people in Kogi, Benue and Nsukka via the new road that is being constructed by FG that will be linking Anambra to Abuja directly via Kogi. Am sure with the airport done, the next step is to get it internationally recognized for international flight.

On the area of roads, like I have kept informing you here on NL, but you have deliberately ignored it, am happy that someone else is corroborating my earlier position. lol. Am happy that at least you can now believe in Peter Obi. lol

I know for sure By His Grace the airport will be up and running before Obi leaves in 2014, because from all indications he is using his good relationship with GEJ to better SE and particularly Anambra.

My brother I always tell you that pictures are worth a thousand words.
How can anyone believe anything here without any pictorial proof, especially with political opponents falling over one another to discredit one another? But Nna kedu ife melu na unu enwero digital camera ebe ahu sef? What does it take to take pictures of roads and post it here? Even my cellphone has a super camera that can take pictures anywhere. You people at home should always feed us with pictures from home. That is your edge over us.
Nna o si kwa ike, i gwam ka m gotalu gi digital camera ebe a. Nke ahu aburo kwa big deal. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 2:10pm On Apr 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

My brother I always tell you that pictures are worth a thousand words.
How can anyone believe anything here without any pictorial proof, especially with political opponents falling over one another to discredit one another? But Nna kedu ife melu na unu enwero digital camera ebe ahu sef? What does it take to take pictures of roads and post it here? Even my cellphone has a super camera that can take pictures anywhere. You people at home should always feed us with pictures from home. That is your edge over us.
Nna o si kwa ike, i gwam ka m gotalu gi digital camera ebe a. Nke ahu aburo kwa big deal. cool

Eze Onlytruth, wan kill me with laughter. grin grin

Before now I have posted some pictures, even the once I took at the magnificent state secretariats.

Again Its all about creating time for it. If it were when I was a student in UNIZIK I could have done it perfectly well due to enough time as a young student. To make out time to travel around may not be that easy.

Like now am in my house with my family, this is the only time I have to relax with them. So its all about making time available.

Dalu eze Igbo nile of NL.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by noiseless: 8:02pm On Apr 06, 2012
Chino11, bros we will murder you if it turns out to be a mere itimkpu for governor obi,and i'm sure your good friend Eze onlytruth won't sommon us to the palace in too much anger for that action, lol! We are sick and tired of those policthiefcians taking too much advantage of our none violence policy which could change anytime, so seeing is believing.
chino11:

Chino11, bros we will murder you if it turns out to be a mere itimkpu for governor obi,and i'm sure your good friend Eze onlytruth won't sommon us to the palace in too much anger for that action, lol! We are sick and tired of those policthiefcians taking too much advantage of our none violence policy which could change anytime, so seeing is believing.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by OneNaira6: 9:21pm On Apr 06, 2012
Toaskarity: ^ezeuche do you see those skyscrpers lol tho its individual four to five storeys, that's how
Nkpor(part of onitsha looks like) do you have any pict of nkpor like that view. I think all
Onitsha and environment needs is good roads with some basics amenities like water and light,
Then leave the rest for the private and see what will happen. I have so much hope in that city
and for sure I will make my own mark when the time comes

I agree as well. That city has so much potential. If only Anambra governors will focus their attention on that city.

@onlytruth

How many people keep migrating to Ontisha? do you know the percentage? because the market has gotten more dense than I remember. IMHO, I believe they need to do something about, the city is not big enough to contain that much people imho.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
One_Naira:

I agree as well. That city has so much potential. If only Anambra governors will focus their attention on that city.

@onlytruth

How many people keep migrating to Ontisha? do you know the percentage? because the market has gotten more dense than I remember. IMHO, I believe they need to do something about, the city is not big enough to contain that much people imho.

onitsha can become like chicago if a governor with such vision can step in
that city can outcompete even lagos if well harnessed
it has been intimidating all anambra state governors till date
quite sad
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Afam4eva(m): 11:35pm On Apr 06, 2012
One_Naira:

@onlytruth

That's why i've rated all Anambra governors since 1999 low because they have overlooked Anambra's strong point which is turining Onitsha into a modern commercial hub. All these spread of development that peter Obi is doing even though commendable is not what Anambra should focus on. If Onitsha and Nnewi are turned around, these two cities can develop the whole of Anambra state. I'm just waiting for that day when some in the frame of Soludo will become the governor of Anambra state.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ak47mann(m): 11:44pm On Apr 06, 2012
re@lchange:

onitsha can become like chicago if a governor with such vision can step in
that city can outcompete even lagos if well harnessed
it has been intimidating all anambra state governors till date
quite sad
you are right........
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:57am On Apr 07, 2012
One_Naira:

@onlytruth

Don't worry my brother, the place I posted in the picture (Bright street) is like idumota in Lagos (perhaps the densent part of Lagos). The whole of Onitsha is not like that.
If you look at Onitsha with google satelite view, you would see that there is much room for expansion towards the North (oze and nsugbe side), and towards the south -Osomala and Atani side. In fact the south has about twice the size of current Onitsha in land mass, even if you don't expand into the National forest reserve at Oyiowa odekpe there. So there is too much room for expansion, bearing in mind that current Onitsha was developed over a period of about 100 years.
What is need is infrastructure management (roads reconstruction and maintenance, water works, modern bus and light rail development, and underground conduit mains for electricity, telephone, fiber optics and other cables). Then the fegge side needs a modern urban planning which would cost money. It basically would require the state government in partnership with private investors, to acquire all bungalows in fegge (most of them are at least 50 years old), demolish them and build 12 to 20 storey apartment blocks. In fact this excercise should convert fegge into a modern downtown complete with modern mixed use (shops/offices downstairs, apartments/dwelling units upstairs). If done right, it would recover up to 20-50% of land in fegge and use some of that to create green zones and parks there.

Like realchange said, it is an intidimating undertaking, and you need a very ambitious (and hopefully a train environmental designer/expert)governor to launch/supervise such massive undertaking. If done right, Onitsha alone, complete with an international airport, can fund Anambra state in perpetuity.
We need a "next level" kind of Anambra governor from 2014. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:50am On Apr 07, 2012
There is no reason why everything in onitsha could not be packed into a skyscraper individually including hospitals, businesses, universities, hotels, government parastatals and residential apartments. Surely, the water front-side of onitsha should be internationally urbanised. There is money to be made in the construction industry, london 2012 is an example. When properly organised it will mope up alot of the jobless and destitute persons.

The project could be local with foreign partnership to ensure solid and long lasting constructions. Onitsha construction Agenda (OCA) 2040

I know waiting dey hungry bliss no dey for market o. cheesy

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:58pm On Apr 07, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: There is no reason why everything in onitsha could not be packed into a skyscraper individually including hospitals, businesses, universities, hotels, government parastatals and residential apartments. Surely, the water front-side of onitsha should be internationally urbanised. There is money to be made in the construction industry, london 2012 is an example. When properly organised it will mope up alot of the jobless and destitute persons.

The project could be local with foreign partnership to ensure solid and long lasting constructions. Onitsha construction Agenda (OCA) 2040

I know waiting dey hungry bliss no dey for market o. cheesy

These can only begin with a beffiting international airport at Onithsa. The experts that would be required to design a modern urban planning would either need to interact seriously with outsiders on a regular basis, or even bring them from outside.
The city by the river is a gold mine waiting to be harnessed.
The international airport will initialize the whole process.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Apr 07, 2012
Onlytruth:

These can only begin with a beffiting international airport at Onithsa. The experts that would be required to design a modern urban planning would either need to interact seriously with outsiders on a regular basis, or even bring them from outside.
The city by the river is a gold mine waiting to be harnessed.
The international airport will initialize the whole process.

An Onitsha blueprint was designed some years back by Peter Obi. I don't know why they've not started implementing it.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:06pm On Apr 07, 2012
afam4eva:

An Onitsha blueprint was designed some years back by Peter Obi. I don't know why they've not started implementing it.

The blueprint is really a structural plan mainly dealing with transportation issue (because Onitsha is already planned). What we need now is an urban renewal of sorts (I can't remember the right term now) to create a modern city with a world class downtown and river shore line. The international airport would put Onitsha in a position to do these.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 6:31pm On Apr 07, 2012
Onlytruth:

Though I'm not familiar with the flight itinerary of Jerry Rawlings when he visited Nigeria for Ojukwu's funeral, however, it's important to note that Charter/private flight or General Aviation are quite different from "scheduled commercial operations" which requires strict adherence to both ICAO and IATA standards. Therefore, you are right, he can land at even the worst airport in the world including Nigeria as long as his flight is not "scheduled" and "commercial".

Like I previously stated, it's one thing to be authorized by your home govt for international flight operations and it's another to meet international airport safety standards to receive foreign flights. The poor maintenance culture of our FG, lack of innovative strive is causing a serious decay in all sectors of the economy including aviation, hence the reason why Nigeria of 150million people can only boast of four substandard airport, as of may last year, two of the four were awaiting ICAO approval. I don't know if they were granted the approval or not.

The cost of building a modern vision 2020 airport can cost in the lows of three digits in (million of $$$), yes I said it. Airports don't come cheap, hence reason why people are very hesitant to go into it UNLESS, there's an economic need for it which is proven can pay for itself in the long run. Although, this might sound odd, but cargo airports tend to cost a more than passenger airports because such airports if fully utilized for ALL cargo operations including handling dangerous materials and restricted goods as established by ICAO, they will spend a whole lot more.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 12:05am On Apr 08, 2012
manny4life:

Though I'm not familiar with the flight itinerary of Jerry Rawlings when he visited Nigeria for Ojukwu's funeral, however, it's important to note that Charter/private flight or General Aviation are quite different from "scheduled commercial operations" which requires strict adherence to both ICAO and IATA standards. Therefore, you are right, he can land at even the worst airport in the world including Nigeria as long as his flight is not "scheduled" and "commercial".

Like I previously stated, it's one thing to be authorized by your home govt for international flight operations and it's another to meet international airport safety standards to receive foreign flights. The poor maintenance culture of our FG, lack of innovative strive is causing a serious decay in all sectors of the economy including aviation, hence the reason why Nigeria of 150million people can only boast of four substandard airport, as of may last year, two of the four were awaiting ICAO approval. I don't know if they were granted the approval or not.

The cost of building a modern vision 2020 airport can cost in the lows of three digits in (million of $$$), yes I said it. Airports don't come cheap, hence reason why people are very hesitant to go into it UNLESS, there's an economic need for it which is proven can pay for itself in the long run. Although, this might sound odd, but cargo airports tend to cost a more than passenger airports because such airports if fully utilized for ALL cargo operations including handling dangerous materials and restricted goods as established by ICAO, they will spend a whole lot more.

We need FULL international airport because we can always bring cargo by river Niger to Onitsha from PH or IBAKA (when completed). What we need in Onitsha in terms of airports, is an international airport that can allow people to fly straight to and land from ANY PART OF THE WORLD.
International passenger/people transit is what would bring about the transformation of Onitsha, because global companies and skills would access it from any part of the world. That is really the idea.
About the money, believe me, there are many individuals in Anambra state that can fund it from private pockets and share the profit with government when fully operational.
I remember very well that the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital at Nnewi was sited there because Nnewi town dominated N12 million, which was really $12 million (when Naira was one to one with the dollar in those days) back when it was Anambra state university of technology (Asutech), that was the towns union, not individuals.
The money is not the problem. Vision is the problem. We need a governor with such vision, to make this happen.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by cheikh: 1:46pm On Apr 08, 2012
Onlytruth
Infact the more I think about this, the more I become convinced that we really don't have the right men as governors in SE. None of them has dreams matching the REAL potential of our zone. Yet people wonder why our people leave in droves to other places.
These governors, for being too local and reclusive, have failed Igboland. ALL OF THEM[
With that said now, I am more convinced than ever that only a "Soludo-esque" kind of governors are what we need in Igboland; that is, assuming he won't be "downpressed" by the Nigerian system to stop thinking big.
I reject these cave mindset of thinking that our problem is just basic infrastructure. It is more. Much more.

When I look at Igboland, I see South Korea, that is if we have my type of big visionary types of governors in place.

I started this thread to educate my people Ndigbo about what is possible, and to remind us that we are EAGLES.
We must reject all these evil schemes to turn us into chicken. Meanwhile we keep leaving our lands and keep developing other zones in Nigeria because [b]we refuse to think[/[/b]b].

^^ Bro you have given your succinct and honest answer to your thoughts already in the highlighted above wink sad. I have said it severally that so called leaders(Governors) in Nigeria lack vision for the possibilities/potentials of their constituency/domain. They have enormous power and influence but lack the necessary [b]creativity
or problem solving abilities for any viable society. It's not unique to the South East alone. It's an African thing- Inertia and[b] Laziness.[/b]

1 Like

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:55pm On Apr 08, 2012
Eze Onlytruth, with regards to the Onitsha International Airport, it is my opinion that Anambra and Delta State need a memorandum of understanding. After-all, Delta State had built the Asaba International Cargo Airport with Onitsha traders in mind.The one terminal international airport is not sufficient and sub-standard.

Like most world class airports such as Heathrow, it is not necessary to have all the terminals in one location. Some could be in Asaba and the others in Onitsha. A Cargo and Two Passenger Airport Terminal in Asaba then Two Cargos and Two Passenger terminals at the proposed Onitsha Airport. I will try to illustrate the model using an Object later.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by otokx(m): 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2012
its good to dream
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 8:50pm On Apr 08, 2012
Onlytruth:

We need FULL international airport because we can always bring cargo by river Niger to Onitsha from PH or IBAKA (when completed). What we need in Onitsha in terms of airports, is an international airport that can allow people to fly straight to and land from ANY PART OF THE WORLD.
International passenger/people transit is what would bring about the transformation of Onitsha, because global companies and skills would access it from any part of the world. That is really the idea.
About the money, believe me, there are many individuals in Anambra state that can fund it from private pockets and share the profit with government when fully operational.
I remember very well that the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital at Nnewi was sited there because Nnewi town dominated N12 million, which was really $12 million (when Naira was one to one with the dollar in those days) back when it was Anambra state university of technology (Asutech), that was the towns union, not individuals.
The money is not the problem. Vision is the problem. We need a governor with such vision, to make this happen.

No doubt we need an international airport, and yes Cargo can always be brought through the Niger River, however, one must ALWAYS keep into consideration that using the reliance factor as well as other mitigating factors, PH or Ibaka though ok but not advisable. I would rather advise an international airport with full Cargo operation that meets international standards. I know there are wealthy folks out there who can build one, but that's only one part of the puzzle, the operating cost is another puzzle that burden large size airports.

The operating cost of large airports is highly capital intensive in that it takes a lot of flight AND passengers AND Cargo to come through annually to break-even. Airports are seriously burdened with the cost of governmental mandates, such as security upgrades, environmental protection, domestic and international regulation and compliance, as well as state and municipal ordinances. With it's proposed size, unless this proposed airport has a capacity of handling at least 7million passengers annually, with an average of 100,000 flight annually of which 1/2 of them belongs to heavy aircraft (more revenue due to weight of aircraft or landing fees,etc), then this airport will run into deficit in due time.

Therefore, IMO, while a passenger attracts traffic, it is imperative to conclude that airports do not necessarily create the economic activity, rather the support the existing economic activity. IMO, the transformation has to be present first before the commencement of the building of an airport else the airport will face serious demise. One of the problems with large projects is that, at times, they are thought through well enough before they are carried out.

Transformation including basic/modern infrastructures (schools, electricity, good transport network, security, including supporting small business agriculture/production, give people a reason to come into Anambra state before supporting infrastructures that aid global companies to come in. The idea is that no matter how much you airport is worth, if there isn't an attracting economy, companies wouldn't come in.

While the governor might partially be the problem, let's us not look beyond ourselves and the leaders amongst us. Since there are wealthy individuals in Anambra, why haven't they formed a business development consortium to move certain thing foward? Like I always say, depend on the government for everything and you're doomed; sometimes, what people need do is take drastic actions that will benefit all.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 10:33pm On Apr 08, 2012
manny4life:
No doubt we need an international airport, and yes Cargo can always be brought through the Niger River, however, one must ALWAYS keep into consideration that using the reliance factor as well as other mitigating factors, PH or Ibaka though ok but not advisable. I would rather advise an international airport with full Cargo operation that meets international standards. I know there are wealthy folks out there who can build one, but that's only one part of the puzzle, the operating cost is another puzzle that burden large size airports.

The operating cost of large airports is highly capital intensive in that it takes a lot of flight AND passengers AND Cargo to come through annually to break-even. Airports are seriously burdened with the cost of governmental mandates, such as security upgrades, environmental protection, domestic and international regulation and compliance, as well as state and municipal ordinances. With it's proposed size, unless this proposed airport has a capacity of handling at least 7million passengers annually, with an average of 100,000 flight annually of which 1/2 of them belongs to heavy aircraft (more revenue due to weight of aircraft or landing fees,etc), then this airport will run into deficit in due time.

The bolded is exactly why I am advocating a FULL INTERNATIONAL airport at Onitsha. Nothing else would work; a local airport, or a cargo only airport, won't be economically sustainable. Onitsha is a center of commerce, with many people travelling from it to all over the world to bring in goods. You don't know that because they all use Lagos or Abuja or Port Harcourt (irrespective of the inconveniences involved). That is why I am advocating at least a Public-Private initiative. No private sector entity would invest in such an airport without detail data to back up the sustainability idea. I also believe that once it starts operations and starts to generate income, state and federal government would be demanding payment of taxes, duties etc. That in turn would require that they also invest in the airport! The passengers would come from three or four sources: those who used to go all the way to Lagos, Abuja, PH and even Kano (yes some Igbo travel through kano!), and those who would start travelling for the first time because it has become more convenient and closer to them. So, the numbers will definitely come. Onitsha is already a one million resident city.

Therefore, IMO, while a passenger attracts traffic, it is imperative to conclude that airports do not necessarily create the economic activity, rather the support the existing economic activity. IMO, the transformation has to be present first before the commencement of the building of an airport else the airport will face serious demise. One of the problems with large projects is that, at times, they are thought through well enough before they are carried out.

Transformation including basic/modern infrastructures (schools, electricity, good transport network, security, including supporting small business agriculture/production, give people a reason to come into Anambra state before supporting infrastructures that aid global companies to come in. The idea is that no matter how much you airport is worth, if there isn't an attracting economy, companies wouldn't come in.

While the governor might partially be the problem, let's us not look beyond ourselves and the leaders amongst us. Since there are wealthy individuals in Anambra, why haven't they formed a business development consortium to move certain thing foward? Like I always say, depend on the government for everything and you're doomed; sometimes, what people need do is take drastic actions that will benefit all.

The first bolded sentences are specious and therefore only partially true. The second bolded is not true at all. undecided
The Lagos and Kano international airports started with far less economic activities happening there in those years, than is currently happening today at Onitsha. Port Harcourt -apart from the oil companies which BTW Anambra will soon have, is not more commerce driven than Onitsha. The theory that a town like Onitsha does not have the economic activity to support an international airport is nothing but a myth; mind you that Onitsha serves the whole of Anambra (Nnewi and Awka) and parts of Imo, Enugu states, Kogi and parts of SS. I also think that it is also false that only when "international class infrastructure" is set up that an international airport should be built. My theory is that international investors would come to a city(even with 17th century infrastructure, provided it is easily and quickly accessible) with so much potential,and population (economic activities) to invest, and to take advantage some opportunities, which may include development of such world class infrastructure. Again, none of Nigeria's existing international airports came after so called "good infrastructure" were developed in the host cities. They were simply built to support general need for them, and to support economic growth of those cities.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 10:39pm On Apr 08, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: Eze Onlytruth, with regards to the Onitsha International Airport, it is my opinion that Anambra and Delta State need a memorandum of understanding. After-all, Delta State had built the Asaba International Cargo Airport with Onitsha traders in mind.The one terminal international airport is not sufficient and sub-standard.

Like most world class airports such as Heathrow, [b]it is not necessary to have all the terminals in one location. Some could be in Asaba and the others in Onitsha. A Cargo and Two Passenger Airport Terminal in Asaba then Two Cargos and Two Passenger terminals at the proposed Onitsha Airport. [/b]I will try to illustrate the model using an Object later.

I cannot agree more!
In fact that has been my proposal and first choice, unless the agreement between the two states can't be reached, in which case Onitsha would have to develop one for itself.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 8:18pm On Apr 09, 2012
Onlytruth:

I cannot agree more!
In fact that has been my proposal and first choice, unless the agreement between the two states can't be reached, in which case Onitsha would have to develop one for itself.

GBAM

Onitsha will have one for itself and that has been initiated by Anambra state government and Orient Petroleum.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 8:27pm On Apr 09, 2012
^^
We need that airport at Onitsha as soon as possible. I envisage a boom in Anambra state if the airport becomes operational. In fact the boom will shake the Nigerian national commerce because I see some businesses shifting back to SE from other parts of Nigeria. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 8:55pm On Apr 09, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: Eze Onlytruth, with regards to the Onitsha International Airport, it is my opinion that Anambra and Delta State need a memorandum of understanding. After-all, Delta State had built the Asaba International Cargo Airport with Onitsha traders in mind.The one terminal international airport is not sufficient and sub-standard.

Like most world class airports such as Heathrow, it is not necessary to have all the terminals in one location. Some could be in Asaba and the others in Onitsha. A Cargo and Two Passenger Airport Terminal in Asaba then Two Cargos and Two Passenger terminals at the proposed Onitsha Airport. I will try to illustrate the model using an Object later.

You get it wrong there. A state as economically big as Anambra does not have any business whatsoever partnering with any state whatsoever in the area of airport. A single individual in Nnewi or Onitsha can get it done with a single cheque, quote me. The likes of Coscharis, Nestoil, Ifeanyi Uba-Capital Oil, Ibeto even Genesis can fund airport of world class state.

That said, am sure Anambra will have its own Cargo/Passenger airport soon, God being on our side we will win as always. And I know that the airport will be internationalised due to huge commercial/economic activities hovering between Onitsha and Nnewi coupled with oil and gas residues and exploration that will be taking place in Anambra with the coming on stream of refinery.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 9:02pm On Apr 09, 2012
^^

Nwanne, I choro nno ka onye obuna konye akuko nime ife a, cha cha. grin grin grin
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 9:45pm On Apr 09, 2012
cool ;DEze Onlytruth, i ma ife ana alu nwanne.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Hafsat Abiola Apologizes To Buhari On Behalf Of Abiola Family / Etisalat Destroyed Itself By Choosing Buhari Over Jonathan – Reno Omokri / Oshiomhole Speaks On Saraki’s Presidential Declaration

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.