Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,329 members, 7,954,334 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:53 PM

South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports (33150 Views)

PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima / Senators On Tour Of Federal Roads In South-East Nigeria (Photos) / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by odumchi: 12:42pm On Mar 28, 2012
I support the idea of an airport in or near Onitsha. Onitsha already boasts sub-Saharan Africa's largest market and the addition of an airport would greatly benefit the area and other local economies.

2 Likes

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Abagworo(m): 12:56pm On Mar 28, 2012
Almost all the airports in Nigeria basically have flight to mainly the two cities of Lagos and Abuja and to a less extent Port Harcourt. You can barely have Enugu to Ibadan or Owerri to Maiduguri or Benin to Kano
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ocelot2006(m): 1:48pm On Mar 28, 2012
wirinet: 3 international airports in the south east? shocked. I think some igbo people love ego tripping, they just think of vanities to massage their ego. When igbo land has Huge infrastructural challenges of virtually no motorable roads, no power, no health facilities and gully erosion threatening to swallow the while east and someones priority is international airports. Mind you I am not saying the south east having one airport to serve the whole Region, but three is unrealistic. As igbo land has a relatively small land mass, with good roads, you can reach any part of igbo land from onitsha in less than 2 hrs.
Please tell me how many countries in the world has three international airports even within the industrialized countries. Even Abuja airport which is the international airport serving the capital and most northern states is grossly under utilized.

So please get your priority right. If you ask an average igbo market woman or even trader, international airport would be the least of his worries.

Excellent post. Well said.

As some posters have suggested, why not focus on improving/upgrading the existing transport infrastructure? I suggest a blue print from the UK be copied and applied. Think about it: an integrated transport network consisting of excellent roads and rail systems that connect to deep seaports in the SS and SW, and all major economic hubs across the country. Now that ain't a bad idea.

1 Like

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 1:54pm On Mar 28, 2012
It's been a while since I saw a post with such shocking lack of sense. grin

How busy is the international airportsless than 100km from Igboland in Port Harcourt? How busy is the Enugu 'international' airport?

How good are the roads linking Igboland to this airport before talking of building more airports?

These are the silly type of people that come back to Nigeria as 'consultants' and convince state governors to start white elephant airport projects.

Every day we hear roads in the East are the worst in Nigeria - but the talk is to build 'international airports' not fix basic infrastructure. When so called educated folk think this way, Nigeria is truly finished.

Because there are three international airports within 40mins of each other in the US we should do so in the SE. undecided

No detailed analysis beyond that type of daft comparison.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Ejine(m): 2:09pm On Mar 28, 2012
I still can't understand the logic behind this thread, I'm sorry.

Isn't Port Harcourt International Airport half dead?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 2:38pm On Mar 28, 2012
debosky: It's been a while since I saw a post with such shocking lack of sense. grin

How busy is the international airportsless than 100km from Igboland in Port Harcourt? How busy is the Enugu 'international' airport?

How good are the roads linking Igboland to this airport before talking of building more airports?

These are the silly type of people that come back to Nigeria as 'consultants' and convince state governors to start white elephant airport projects.

Every day we hear roads in the East are the worst in Nigeria - but the talk is to build 'international airports' not fix basic infrastructure. When so called educated folk think this way, Nigeria is truly finished.

Because there are three international airports within 40mins of each other in the US we should do so in the SE. undecided

No detailed analysis beyond that type of daft comparison.

There are many factors which lined up to mitigate sound comparison. Worse among the factors is tribal politics witnessed in all the societal strata in Nigeria. You are very much right about the roads that lead to/fro the so-called International airports in Nigeria. Even Lagos that boasts many landing rights to good number of air carriers has issue of good network roads connecting MMA to the hinterland.

Seriously, I can not find myself booking flight to Lagos if I had to spend 7hours on the road to the east. I lamented bitterly when I set foot on the so-called Port Harcourt International Airport recently. There is nothing international about the port. You can easily mistake the airport to an abandoned crack house. When one finally gets out of the shanty huts for airport, the networks of roads to nearby cities are death traps and robbers dens. It took 2hours from Port Harcourt to Owerri, a journey that should not last more than 51minutes. Although the governments of Imo and Rivers State are working very hard to create dual carriageway between Port Harcourt and Owerri, via the so-called International airport, the federal government must punch its weight on the improvement of infrastructure of the airport.

Also, with needed improved airport infrastructures, federal government should extend the landing rights to more than two carriers. There is no doubt the volume of traffic will increase if many carriers are granted landing rights to Port Harcourt International Airport.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 2:40pm On Mar 28, 2012
^^

It is, but it is only half dead because it isn't in 'Igboland'. The mor0ns supporting this idea want you to believe that Igbos don't patronise PH Airport because it isn't in Igboland, but they patronise Lagos Airport. I dunno if Lagos airport is in Igboland so can someone help me with a map? cheesy

Onlytruth:
The balkanization of Nigeria through state creation has rendered cities formerly close, almost inaccessible to each other. That is part of why Port harcourt has performed below par with reference to Aba for example. If there is no Rivers state for example, the PH airport would even serve as far as Onitsha. I hope you get my point now.

Yet this balkanization of states doesn't prevent Igbo traders from going to Lagos/Abuja - it only affects PH Airport! cheesy cheesy

Don't you know that PH Airport has banned Igbo people from flying through it? Or that you now need a passport to go from Onitsha to PH (thanks to the creation of states) grin grin
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 2:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
Ejiné: I still can't understand the logic behind this thread, I'm sorry.

Isn't Port Harcourt International Airport half dead?

It is so because the federal government wants to choke it to dead. I believed there are only two carriers with landing rights to the so-called Port Harcourt International Airport. Due to the scarcity of carriers, the airfare is exorbitant and time of flight becomes attendant of the carrier.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by cjfavour(m): 2:46pm On Mar 28, 2012
I voted for peter obi in his forst tenure bcs he promised to build an airport for us anambrarians. This is bcs we anambrarians know that for us to be d giant which we are in 9ja, we must have an airport and sea port. You haters no mater what u says, anambra needs an airport. I prefer to call it " DIM CHUKWUEMEKA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ANAMBRA". It is my dream and i pray it materialised. Secondly,why dnt nigeria do it this way,if a state can be able to build an airport which can be internationally certified,why dnt they operate it? Sorry i am a dreamer for better anambra.

1 Like

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by kettykin: 3:50pm On Mar 28, 2012
Greed , 3 international airports for what
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 3:54pm On Mar 28, 2012
cjfavour: I voted for peter obi in his forst tenure bcs he promised to build an airport for us anambrarians. This is bcs we anambrarians know that for us to be d giant which we are in 9ja, we must have an airport and sea port. You haters no mater what u says, anambra needs an airport. I prefer to call it " DIM CHUKWUEMEKA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ANAMBRA". It is my dream and i pray it materialised. Secondly,why dnt nigeria do it this way,if a state can be able to build an airport which can be internationally certified,why dnt they operate it? Sorry i am a dreamer for better anambra.

On point nwanne mu cool

Its really under way.

http://www.aircargonews.net/News/Green-light-for-Nigeria-cargo-airport.aspx
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2012
Dede1:

It is so because the federal government wants to choke it to dead. I believed there are only two carriers with landing rights to the so-called Port Harcourt International Airport. Due to the scarcity of carriers, the airfare is exorbitant and time of flight becomes attendant of the carrier.

Any evidence of this claim that the FG 'wants to choke it dead' or are you simply making things up?

Or you think the carriers who fly to Lagos wouldn't go elsewhere if there was demand?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by igbo2011(m): 4:25pm On Mar 28, 2012
NOOOOO 3 is too much. We need to focus on INFRASTRUCTURE!!!! Power roads, internet speed. We also need to invest in HUMANS> Education and healthcare. We need free education until 17 for all Nigerian citizens and free healthcare for children under 5 and all pregnant women. We need basic ammenties first. Most Nigerians will never use an airport but they will use education or healthcare.

We should be building 3 international standard schools or hospitals NOT airports.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ikeyman00(m): 4:38pm On Mar 28, 2012
@@@@@

debosky
It is, but it is only half dead because it isn't in 'Igboland'. The mor0ns supporting this idea want you to believe that Igbos don't patronise PH Airport because it isn't in Igboland

i think its best u neglect the bolded cuz as an igbo nigerian i usually view some remarks from country people with some reservations

personally i will like to see that poultry house air port in enugu get destroyed and rebuild with a good set standard and then the enugu onitsha high way get done for good once for all

no nigeria should tell us who is igbo; where the igbo should stay and who isnt

as for us just like u living abroad make no mistake about thing right; u will be amased to see how much traffic enugu airport will generate epslly period like xmas; do u know much it cost to do air cargo for eg if u gona send stuff outside lagos say enugu u get extra charge.

as for traffic or not a lot of big airport get huge traffic in specific time like xmas, world cup etc so lets be careful over what we say here

we as nigerians must come togerther to drive developement each and every region need!
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by safariman(m): 4:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
I thought JEG promised new airport for every state. With these international airports, they'll be able to transport themselves to Germany for medical treatment
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Okijajuju1(m): 4:44pm On Mar 28, 2012
AT ALL

Be not decieved by Onlytruth. . .

He is clueless as to what the East needs. . An Airport indeed. 3 internetional airports that would all be within 40 mins of each other. . How would that help the average Onitsha Trader. Owerri international Cargo Airport have been in existence since, how many Ndi Igbos have been importingtheir goods through that airport?!

Anyi e'nwero uzo, Oku adiro, security is still a nightmare in Anambra and Abia state and all he can think of is building 3 airports. . Why not advocate for a Space Shuttle launch pad in every Igbo mans backyard.

Its thread like these that bring ridicule to my people and have the outsiders laughing at us as if we do not know what our problems are. . .

Lets start first by converting Onitsha Market and Ariaria Market into two world clas shopping districts, Provide the area where these markets would be located with 24hrs light, good road network into and out of the state to aid movement of goods, advocate for a railway line to be built from Lagos ports (Tincan and Apapa) to the East to facilitate the transportation of raw materials for our businesses since we all know that Igbos import most of their goods through these ports. 1 international Airport to be built either in Enugu or Onitsha to compliment Sam Mbakwe Int in Owerri and then we would know that the east has been properly positioned to be a commercial juggernaut.

A seaport in Onitsha would be more profitable to the East than 3 international Airports put together. .

Onlytruth is on a self-destructive path and is dragging other Igbos with him.

Umunna biko mepe anya unu.

Okija Juju. . .

We dont die, we multiply
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:50pm On Mar 28, 2012
grin grin grin

Aburom nwa Nnewi for nothing. cool cool cool

Well, at least I can see that some people who could not stomach the idea of ONE international airport in SE are now coming around.

Umunne m, anyi no faaaaaaaaaaaaaar ahead na ako na uche. cool

Let the debate continue.

We need THREE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS in SE. cool

I would comment more.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:52pm On Mar 28, 2012
safariman: I thought JEG promised new airport for every state. With these international airports, they'll be able to transport themselves to Germany for medical treatment

Abi o.
EVERY STATE.

Now, I am only asking for THREE in the whole of SE and people are committing suicide here.
Na wa o.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:58pm On Mar 28, 2012
@ALL,

Please I am not asking for LOCAL airports. I am asking for INTERNATIONAL airports. A whole lot of my estimate of usage and patronage come from the millions of Igbo diaspora, most of who have basically given up on ever visiting Nigeria.
For me, my company which I plan for Enugu, would need my consulting partners to fly in once in a while.
I cannot risk their lives flying into Lagos and flying one of those "air molues" to Enugu.
The quality of aircraft flying international routes are better than local ones.
I want my partners to fly straight into Enugu.
If they fly into PH and begin a journey to Enugu, they could be kidnapped even before getting to Enugu.

I hope y'all see some of the reasons behind my proposal.

BTW, I still maintain that the three airport would be viable once they are not LOCAL airports.
I have NEVER used a LOCAL flight in Nigeria. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 5:00pm On Mar 28, 2012
ikeyman00:
debosky

I think its best u neglect the bolded cuz as an igbo nigerian i usually view some remarks from country people with some reservations

personally i will like to see that poultry house air port in enugu get destroyed and rebuild with a good set standard and then the enugu onitsha high way get done for good once for all

no nigeria should tell us who is igbo; where the igbo should stay and who isnt

Ikeyman nwa mama I hear what you are saying.

The same people giving excuses why the current airports are not being used will blame someone else when their white elephant airports are built with fat contracts enriching the few.

as for us just like u living abroad make no mistake about thing right; u will be amased to see how much traffic enugu airport will generate epslly period like xmas; do u how much it cost to do air cargo for eg if u gona send stuff outside lagos say enugu u get extra charge.

Bros why does the current Enugu airport not get traffic at xmas right now? Why will this change if you add 'international' to the name of the airport?

as for traffic or not a lot of big airport get huge traffic in specific time like xmas, world cup etc so lets be careful over what we say here

I agree - big traffic occasionally, but enough REGULAR traffic to make the airlines viable. If all the current traffic doesn't make PH viable, why do we want to build more airports instead of fixing the current ones and getting good roads/rail to connect to them?

we as nigerians must come togerther to drive developement each and every region need!

With terrible roads and lack of power, erosion, etc, international airports do not address the development needs of the SE region!
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:07pm On Mar 28, 2012
I also know a lot of diapora folks who wants to move their business, or locate a branch of their business in Nigeria.
Most hate Lagos because it is crowded. I personally never stay more than one day in Lagos. It is that bad.

A lot of folks living abroad want to have easy access to their businesses at home, and a lot have since shelved the idea of ever starting a business in Nigeria because of the fact that SE is cut off from them. Even those who would have been coming home yearly don't.
By far the most pressing reason to have those airports is to be able to grow international class businesses.
Without those businesses, the states there will continue to depend wholly on federal government for funding.
I hate dependence on anybody for my survival, especially when that somebody has a nondescript bias against Igboland.

All we really need the federal government to do, is to designate those airports as international, and go away. Let the states find the funding for them. That is even the only way they can be built to world class standards. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ikeyman00(m): 5:11pm On Mar 28, 2012
@@@@

three airport weather its good or not should be left for another day

however at this point in time this is what we need

1; knock down the poultry building in enugu to build to set standard

2; do the same to porthacourt

3; scrap and regrade onitsha-enugu express road to gade B at least

4; start planing on how to rebuild and re-organise the big market in both onocha and aba

the rest of the money will be left to do something else

then till then u have a debate

lets work with what we have at hand for now
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:15pm On Mar 28, 2012
Now, let me address this fallacy of "oh we need roads first, bla blah".

I would start with a barrage of questions.

What have local roads to do with an international gateway which can bring in much needed FOREIGN investment to boost local economy?
Don't some of you know that there may be international investors who may be interested in concessioning some of the roads and other lacking infrastructure?
If we can attract big companies from abroad to locate in SE, won't they create an avenue for more money to be injected into the local economy thereby increasing tax revenue which states like Anambra can use to build roads?
Do you people ever think of where our future money would come from, or do you think that Nigeria's oil would never finish? If we are not building these types of strategic infrastructure today, how would we ever diversify our economy and ween it off oil revenue?
Nothing stops a smart and performing governor from pursuing BOTH roads and the INTERNATIONAL airport.
Most of you can't think past LOCAL airports.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 5:18pm On Mar 28, 2012
debosky:

Any evidence of this claim that the FG 'wants to choke it dead' or are you simply making things up?

Or you think the carriers who fly to Lagos wouldn't go elsewhere if there was demand?

Are you in any way insinuating that air carriers will take off and land at any airport deemed necessary without auhtorization? Please try to book a direct flight to Port Harcourt from certain air carriers other than air France or Lufthansa and listen to the response.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:25pm On Mar 28, 2012
I guess I'm actually thinking like Soludo. shocked lol
When Soludo was calling for a "strategic" restructuring of the Naira to make it the currency of reference in Africa, a lot of Nigerians choked! They shouted him down saying the same things; "oh we need light, oh we need roads, bla bla". The man was fired and another thinking more like Nigerian was brought in. He quickly sent Nigeria back to permanent third world position where she feels comfortable. Today we know better.

I bet you all that if these airports are approved as international, and the federal government stays away from them, we will find investors who would gladly build them to world standards and manage them for agreed number of years.
The problem is that we don't have governors visionary enough, hungry enough and angry enough to give us the future we deserve; a future that is sustainable and not one based on sharing of oil revenues using DUBIOUS sharing criteria.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 5:34pm On Mar 28, 2012
Onlytruth: I also know a lot of diapora folks who wants to move their business, or locate a branch of their business in Nigeria.
Most hate Lagos because it is crowded. I personally never stay more than one day in Lagos. It is that bad.

A lot of folks living abroad want to have easy access to their businesses at home, and a lot have since shelved the idea of ever starting a business in Nigeria because of the fact that SE is cut off from them. Even those who would have been coming home yearly don't.
By far the most pressing reason to have those airports is to be able to grow international class businesses.
Without those businesses, the states there will continue to depend wholly on federal government for funding.
I hate dependence on anybody for my survival, especially when that somebody has a nondescript bias against Igboland.

All we really need the federal government to do, is to designate those airports as international, and go away. Let the states find the funding for them. That is even the only way they can be built to world class standards. cool

I heard you sound and clear, bro. People who have never tried to bring partners to Nigeria through the ports other than Lagos or Abuja will never understand the essence of direct flight into Nigeria from abroad. I will not mind a quick and hassle-free road journey for my guests but the stopover in Lagos or Abuja with local flight inconsistence and in certain cases sudden outright cancellation of flights.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
Dede1:

I heard you sound and clear, bro. People who have never tried to bring partners to Nigeria through the ports other than Lagos or Abuja will never understand the essence of direct flight into Nigeria from abroad. I will not mind a quick and hassle-free road journey for my guests but the stopover in Lagos or Abuja with local flight inconsistence and in certain cases sudden outright cancellation of flights.

Exactly my brother!
And these are foreigners who would never understand some of the idiotic things happening in Nigeria.
Even your reputation as a partner suffers because your country doesn't make sense.
I would repeat it again, there are THREE international airports with 40 minutes drive of some US cities. My partners are US folks, and can never even think of investing in a place with so much convoluted development pattern.
Why should they invest in a city of 1 million lacking direct access from outside? Cities of 300,000 here have international airports.
It is more depressing that some Nigerians come here to say that we should never compare Nigeria with US, yet they hope for Nigeria to develop to US standards one day, without thinking that the US never got to be the way it is by thinking backwards. Someone woke up and envisioned that international airport in that city of 300,000 sometime in the 70s (when the city was about half its current population). Today it is a world class city.
Nigerians are very depressing, honestly. sad
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 5:44pm On Mar 28, 2012
Anyway, this the point I leave the thread for now.
I'll be back later.

Signing off,
Yours truly,

Onlytruth. cool cool cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by manny4life(m): 5:54pm On Mar 28, 2012
As for me, while the idea is good, I personally think the SE would need an overhaul of its transportation network. An international airport of standard is great, One/Two is good, but what the SE needs in terms of critical infrastructure is Rail network to support its manufacturing and Retail industry.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 6:04pm On Mar 28, 2012
Onlytruth:

Exactly my brother!
And these are foreigners who would never understand some of the idiotic things happening in Nigeria.
Even your reputation as a partner suffers because your country doesn't make sense.
I would repeat it again, there are THREE international airports with 40 minutes drive of some US cities. My partners are US folks, and can never even think of investing in a place with so much convoluted development pattern.
Why should they invest in a city of 1 million lacking direct access from outside? Cities of 300,000 here have international airports.
It is more depressing that some Nigerians come here to say that we should never compare Nigeria with US, yet they hope for Nigeria to develop to US standards one day, without thinking that the US never got to be the way it is by thinking backwards. Someone woke up and envisioned that international airport in that city of 300,000 sometime in the 70s (when the city was about half its current population). Today it is a world class city.
Nigerians are very depressing, honestly. sad

Sometimes most Nigerians in their infinite ways to spite Ndigbo tend to smack themselves in the mouth. I love the deepwater seaport in a place like Akwa Ibom but the manner some folks express their inert thoughts on this forum; I had rather have such port in Opobo (Opu Obu) instead.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by bittyend(m): 6:19pm On Mar 28, 2012
Nna, the SE don't need three airports - I'll suggest one airport on every street in the whole of SE. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You've erosion destroying your red soil, instead of finding a solution to that before biafra goes under, you're daydreaming about airports. What does the Aba man making shoes need an airport for, when most of customers resides in Lagos? The average okrika cloth seller in onitsha just need a good rail transport to transport his/her merchandise to customers in Kano city - not an airport.

It just a shame, Ibo or eboes will never get it right. Why did you vote for a clown like OnlyILLUSION as your EZE GBURU GBURU? The guy is clueless!!! If these are the future leaders of Biafra Republic, I won't be surprised if Biafra is worse than Somalia.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by chino11(m): 7:19pm On Mar 28, 2012
Am beginning to think that Eze Onlytruth is light years ahead of all these retardeens we have on NL. This is somebody who is seeing the future of Alaigbo even beyond some of our sitting governors. He made sense when he posited that cities like Onitsha needs an Irnternational airport going by the volume of economic activities taking place in the city, which can only be compared to Lagos and PH. Nnewi also needs an access to the international airport that will be sited around Onitsha or Anambra north area.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Buratai: Terrorism May Persist For Another 20 Years In Nigeria / Pictures From Peter Obi's Campaign Rally In Southern Gombe / Obiano Remembers Biafran Heroes, Erects Cenotaph With Their Names (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.