Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,051 members, 7,838,655 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Atheist? Come With Your Questions. - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist? Come With Your Questions. (16182 Views)

Atheist Come In And Check The Real Meaning of Faith. / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Atheist Feel Free To Ask Your Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by harakiri(m): 7:26pm On Apr 05, 2012
Kay 17:
Mr Ay, sorry to bust your bubble. First the bible is not the word of God, its the word of man. At least hearsay testimony as to the wishes and intents of "God". It can't be said to be a communication from God but just another man's idea and view of what God is all about. Just like the Quran.

Second of all: We understand reality, by its order and anything that goes against that is bound to be false. A claim that the Sun dances to Azonto is obviously because its beyond the behaviour of the Sun. Same with donkeys, snakes and tortoises; they don't talk!! Whoever says that is an obvious liar.

Third point: there is no God, but priests and pastors lying and pretending to be his mouthpiece. And if there is God why would he want you to believe rather than KNOW he exists?? Disbelief wouldn't stop him from existing right?

Nice one.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 05, 2012
i nor know say atheist plenty for nairaland like these ooo ? even as churches and mosque full everywhere for naija, una stil de ? God go help una sha

a question for the atheist, answer it to the best of your knowledge pls and dont pass through the corner

1. Are you a moral relativist, or do you believe in absolute morality? In other words, do you believe that cultures, or even individuals, can define their own rules on what is moral and what is not, or do you believe that every action has one unique, absolute, and true moral assessment?

2. Is your trust in science based on faith or based on science?

3. Where does language, art, music, and religion come from?

This question is related to #2 – most atheists will parrot something about cranial evolution (without knowing the slightest bit about the topic) – but this is in fact one of the most baffling questions in anthropology today and it remains unsolved

4. Suppose, hypothetically, that you met with someone who knew nothing about you except your first name. And this person was able to accurately name deceased family members, dicuss in detail how they died, and describe intimate personal details about your relationship with these people (including people you aren’t consciously thinking about). How would you explain this?

5. Is absence of proof the proof of absence?

6. What does the atheist position offer people? How has it improved your life? Why will it improve others’ lives?

7. When you attempt to use logic to conclude facts about religion, are you starting at the conclusion (God is not real), or are you starting at true premises? Be honest. If you are starting at true premises, then what are they? And how are they true? Think about #5 when you answer.

8. If all Christians believed that the Bible was entirely allegorical, what would you argue in support of your position?

9. Why is it important to you that everyone is an atheist?

10. Do you believe in extra-terrestrials?

WAITING
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 7:37pm On Apr 05, 2012
Kay 17:
"Actually, there is a point to what Olaadegbu said though perhaps it is preferable to substitute "rationalism" for evolution (EDITED: though we can actually stand atheism on its own without necessarily relating it to either evolution or even rationalism). For example, let us take thehomer's own preferred definition of "religion" (even though Jesoul has already shown the intellectual inadequacy of sticking to one of four definitions offered by the same source):

A collection of practices, based on beliefs and teachings that are "highly valued or sacred".

I will pause to let that sink in!"

From your definition, I can conclude that the promotion of family values or promotion of science or general knowledge or feminism is RELIGION! Anti-slavery falls under that too.

If so, it would be entirely ridiculous. Ok some atheists feel they are obliged to warn others "forceful" of the evils of religion, why would that make them religious? Like labelling anti communists communists!

Propagation of highly valued views is not the trademark of religion. Some religions don't propagate their beliefs - Jainism. A good human is with a sense of purpose will have some values!
guy dont deceieve yourself.

If u strongly believe that there exist no God/god and Someone else believes strongly that there's a God/god, what's the difference between u two?
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 7:42pm On Apr 05, 2012
dahonestboss: i nor know say atheist plenty for nairaland like these ooo ? even as churches and mosque full everywhere for naija, una stil de ? God go help una sha

a question for the atheist, answer it to the best of your knowledge pls and dont pass through the corner

1. Are you a moral relativist, or do you believe in absolute morality? In other words, do you believe that cultures, or even individuals, can define their own rules on what is moral and what is not, or do you believe that every action has one unique, absolute, and true moral assessment?

This question is related to #2 – most atheists will parrot something about cranial evolution (without knowing the slightest bit about the topic) – but this is in fact one of the most baffling questions in anthropology today and it remains unsolved

4. Suppose, hypothetically, that you met with someone who knew nothing about you except your first name. And this person was able to accurately name deceased family members, dicuss in detail how they died, and describe intimate personal details about your relationship with these people (including people you aren’t consciously thinking about). How would you explain this?

6. What does the atheist position offer people? How has it improved your life? Why will it improve others’ lives?

7. When you attempt to use logic to conclude facts about religion, are you starting at the conclusion (God is not real), or are you starting at true premises? Be honest. If you are starting at true premises, then what are they? And how are they true? Think about #5 when you answer.

8. If all Christians believed that the Bible was entirely allegorical, what would you argue in support of your position?

WAITING
Nope. They belong to the minority here on Nairaland, Nigeria and in the entire world.

Use the NL search. There are multiple threads on the numbers of atheists in the world.

What can help u is to ask google for the definition of evangelical atheist/atheism. Your question should be answered
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 05, 2012
@klose

you should answer the question one by one. i guess yu are an atheist.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 7:51pm On Apr 05, 2012
dahonestboss: @klose

you should answer the question one by one. i guess yu are an atheist.
lol. young or old man. Im a 'closet atheist' or Im an evangelical atheist who sits behind a system and post on the internet facelessly to challenge the theists for believing in an unseen God
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Kay17: 7:54pm On Apr 05, 2012
Enigma: ^^^ I said take your time ---- and read the threads. wink

cool
seen the thread before. Wouldn't worth it to read again.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 05, 2012
Miroslav klose: lol. young or old man. Im a 'closet atheist' or Im an evangelical atheist who sits behind a system and post on the internet facelessly to challenge the theists for believing in an unseen God

then you should be able to answer the above question.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 7:57pm On Apr 05, 2012
dahonestboss:

then you should be able to answer the above question.
ok. I will attempt. Firstly u need to ask google for the definition of evangelical atheist
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 05, 2012
@klose

why not answer mine first? now you are passing through the corner. I will for sure answer you if you give me an answer to my question since i asked first
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 8:05pm On Apr 05, 2012
dahonestboss: @klose

why not answer mine first? now you are passing through the corner. I will for sure answer you if you give me an answer to my question since i asked first
SMH. Thats exactly the style atheists adopt. Have u heard of atheist opt out?
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Kay17: 8:05pm On Apr 05, 2012
Miroslav klose: guy dont deceieve yourself.

If u strongly believe that there exist no God/god and Someone else believes strongly that there's a God/god, what's the difference between u two?
I actually think its nothing.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 8:07pm On Apr 05, 2012
Kay 17:
I actually think its nothing.
can i assume that u mean both are believers?
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Apr 05, 2012
Miroslav klose: SMH. Thats exactly the style atheists adopt. Have u heard of atheist opt out?

not atheist enough
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 8:14pm On Apr 05, 2012
dahonestboss:

not atheist enough
U are very wrong. Do u know that there are different kinds of atheism/atheist? Do u also know that they may not follow the same style?
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 05, 2012
Miroslav klose: U are very wrong. Do u know that there are different kinds of atheism/atheist? Do u also know that they may not follow the same style?

so una even get style ? na wa ooo. sw wat is the name of your style ?
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 8:44pm On Apr 05, 2012
dahonestboss:

My bro. Im watching Europa league right now and my two teams are playing right now. Hannover 1996 and Schalke 04. after the match, i promise to ans all ur questions.
I mean diiferent styles in atheism. We have Militant atheists and their own style is quite different from that of closet atheist. Im sure u know the oxford prof called Richard Dawkins and his own 'style' of atheism, launching great campaigns against religionist. A closet or Friendly atheist doesnt adopt such style. BRB
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by harakiri(m): 8:48pm On Apr 05, 2012
@dahonestboss

i nor know say atheist plenty for nairaland like these ooo ? even as churches and mosque full everywhere for naija, una stil de ? God go help una sha

Do you know what Atheism means?

From time immemorial, it's always been the religious folks that have a knack for beating about the bush and dodging basic simple questions that threatens the foundations of their faith.

Morality is not a constant. It's subject to change and it's rules border on what is socially acceptable as good or bad by the society e.g there a lot of things permitted in the bible that would be considered heinous crimes in today's world such as slavery,ethnic cleansing,genocide,arson,kidnapping and rape. All these things were permitted (and even ordered by the biblical god). Can those acts be permitted today? 30-50 years ago in America, a female was considered a woman of marriagable age when she hits 16. Today, anyone who attempts to do anything with a girl that age will go to jail for a very long time on charges of child molestation and pedophilia. Years ago, killing of twins was permitted and considered normal until Mary Slessor came to the rescue. I can go on and on but i you ought to get the picture by now. Point is, MORALITY IS SUBJECT TO PREVAILING CHANGES IN SOCIETY!

First of all, not every Atheist is a scientist (or evolutionist like most of you wrongly assume) and in the same vein, the greater proponents of scientific theories happen to be THEISTS (isn't that a crass anomaly?). There is nothing like "faith" when it comes to science. It either works or it doesn't. Period. Try to read through your questions properly before posting please.

They are all products of mankind. That's a no-brainer.

Once again, NOT EVERY ATHEIST is inclined to science. I didn't dump religion based on scientific theories or findings. It's not about Dawkins or Darwin. It's about applying your BASIC COMMON SENSE! I still don't know why this simple analogy is so hard for the theists to digest.

I am yet to see that happen. The ones i have witnessed are all scams whereby it's ALWAYS the person that takes you to that medium/fortune teller that sold you out before you got there. It's an age old scam that has been going on for eons but people still allow themselves to be fooled (for reasons best known to them).

Yes! You know, you really need to understand the context of your questions before posting them coz i can diversify this very question to numerous branches that will leave you stupefied (you obviously culled this one from somewhere coz I've encountered it before).

Atheist position? Do you even understand what Atheism means? Atheism is NOT a religion. It's a DISBELIEF in religion. What on earth is so incredibly hard and extremely complex about that to understand? Atheism offers nothing to anyone coz it's not an institution. It has improved my life because i am a more focused human being than during my religious days when i blamed my failures on supernatural forces instead of taking responsibility for my actions. Of course it will improve others lives (Check out European countries like Finland, Liechtenstein etc). They are predominantly non-religious (Atheists) and their standard of living supersedes that of the US,UK and CA by light years. You can't compare that with Nigeria which is officially the most religious country in the world and yet look around you. . .what do you see? Nothing but ethnic hatred,strife,hardship,corruption,wickedness,injustice and insecurity. Nothing to write home about. So much for the "benefits" of religion.

You don't need to apply logic to debunk religion. All you need is BASIC COMMON SENSE!

Perhaps you should include the Taoists,Buddhists,Moslems and thousands of other religions who believe theirs is supreme when making this false assumption. The bible isn't the only religious script in the world you know. Perhaps you need to broaden your mind a little more and learn to think outside the box. If you were born in Iran, you'd be here swearing there is no god except Allah and his prophet Mohammed. If you were born in India, you'd be a Buddhist. If you were born in Japan, you'd be a Taoist. If you were born in Luxembourg or Finland, you'd probably be non-religious a.k.a Atheist and the concept of Christianity would be beyond ridiculous to you. The only reason you're a Christian today is most definitly because you were born into Christianity and as such, you were inclucated from childhood. Perhaps you need to take these things into consideration before posting next time.

Please, read the above question again and ask yourself if it makes one atom of sense.

At the moment i don't. If there is life out there with proof of it, i will believe. Same way i don't believe the biblical god lives in skies and yet spacecraft have gone beyond the skies and we all know there is no god there.

WAITING

Don't hold your breath.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Dsage1: 10:30pm On Apr 05, 2012
To all atheist on this thread,particularly kay17,herakiri,idehn,all4naija etc,although some you has already acknowledge the truth by saying that the human spirit or spirituality couldnt be understood solely by our logical reasoning.If you know not what human spirit means&how it actually influence our thought,emotions,conscience,rationality,dream and vision,then why did you doubting the existence of an unseen power/being which is God.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Seun(m): 11:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
If God created all good & evil in the universe, how can God not be at least partly evil?

Who created God? If the universe is to intricate to not have been intelligently designed, then a creature who designed such an intricate world must have been intricate himself, so we have to ask who designed him. If God could just exist without a designer, then the universe could have sprung up the same way!!
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 05, 2012
Seun: If God created all good & evil in the universe, how can God not be at least partly evil?

Who created God? If the universe is to intricate to not have been intelligently designed, then a creature who designed such an intricate world must have been intricate himself, so we have to ask who designed him. If God could just exist without a designer, then the universe could have sprung up the same way!!
Thank you for that last reasonable line. Tell that to religionists and they would call you Satan.They hate to question things to such level yet they are quick to point to the purpose why we exist is of their god's.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 11:43pm On Apr 05, 2012
Nothing like God as described by Theists! If there is anything close to the quality of a god, with imperfection, it should be nature itself because it is more encompassing than anything in reality.

If god exist as postulated, it would have revealed itself beyond reasonable doubt by now in a form that would prove who it is because it's not going to take anything from it. Was it not thought by those who believe in the craps to be the creator and now it is hiding itself for some baseless reasons. Theists should be reasonable enough to understand that god is a human creation, in fact, a primitive man creation that has been passed through ages as tradition. It saddens me that religionists don't want to go beyond their indoctrination(inculcated set of rules in somebody)to find out many things that don't just add up about god they are quick to defend.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Apr 05, 2012
D sage: To all atheist on this thread,particularly kay17,herakiri,idehn,all4naija etc,although some you has already acknowledge the truth by saying that the human spirit or spirituality couldnt be understood solely by our logical reasoning.If you know not what human spirit means&how it actually influence our thought,emotions,conscience,rationality,dream and vision,then why did you doubting the existence of an unseen power/being which is God.

I do not think you understand what we are saying. Take what you said and replace the words spirit and spirituality with the words modjieonfa and bidoumcea. Your argument will make just about as much sense. If your argument hinges on concepts you cannot/will not properly account/define/clarify then why should it be accepted/taken seriously. It is impossible to discuss, much less believe in something that is not even properly defined. After all, how can you believe in Gosmalavba if you do not even know what it is?
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by ea7(m): 6:09am On Apr 06, 2012
to all those asking atheists to explain all and sundry, the things not explained yet have a high probablility of being explained later. If you don't know something try and find the explanation. By the way, do you know the proponent of the bib b.ang theory was a christian, btecha didn't! One thing about nigerian christians isthat they never stop and think deeply about the arguments, they just have a knee jerk reaction, smart theists I admire, stupid ones you can tell by their language.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Miroslavklose: 7:53am On Apr 06, 2012
ea7: to all those asking atheists to explain all and sundry, the things not explained yet have a high probablility of being explained later. If you don't know something try and find the explanation. By the way, do you know the proponent of the bib b.ang theory was a christian, btecha didn't! One thing about nigerian christians isthat they never stop and think deeply about the arguments, they just have a knee jerk reaction, smart theists I admire, stupid ones you can tell by their language.
Guy why are u restricting ur comment to just Nigeria Christians? does it mean u haven't related with christians outside the shores of Nigeria to understand their thinking?

Now talking about finding explanation to something u dont know. This also applies to u atheist cos most of u believe to know too much, instead of cooling down to listen to the other side. From previous experience on NL, i dont like getting involved with atheists regarding the God subject cos we ve done that couple of times on NL in the last 4 years with each side holding firm to their belief. I chose to be sarcastic cos it simply doesnt worth it.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 06, 2012
@herakari

1. since Biblical morality, and the assertion that a God is responsbile for defining and dictating actions as moral by many Christians is a point of contention and is frequently used in arguments on the matter. This issue is compounded by the fact that the morality as defined by the Old Testament is different than the morality defined by the New Testament which is different than the morality exercised by most people today (in general, people today believe the Bible is immoral, including many Christians on many points such as slavery, the killing of homosexuals, and so forth).

As an atheist, if you are to be consistent, then as I see it, two scenarios follow depending on what you believe. If you are a moral relativist (you do not judge other cultures, such as the Iranians, because their moral code is different than your own), then you must necessarily also not use the morality argument as a reason to be an atheist – simply because the morality of Scripture was practiced by a now extinct culture does not mean it alone can be judged. If you believe in universal morality, then the answer to another question becomes central to your belief system: who or what determines which actions are moral and which are not? This is my dilemma. I do believe in absolute morals, but I cannot reconcile the fact that I do not trust any human being, no matter how smart they are, including myself, to prescribe to me what is moral and what is not. Sure, I go by my gut, and I consider myself a pretty moral person, but I am also not so arrogant to believe that I uniquely know what is moral and what is not especially since I will readily acknowledge that the older I get the more moral I become – actions I would have considered moral 10 years ago I consider immoral today, so how am I sure that I will not also think that actions I take today as moral will not be immoral to me 10 years from now?

I have seen a few atheist writings about this topic that attempt to create some logical formula for judging an action, such as this one from ebonmusing: “Always minimize both actual and potential suffering; always maximize both actual and potential happiness.“

I am not convinced. Although his essay is thorough and attempts to explain how and why morality can be universal and where it comes from, I don’t buy most of it, nor do I even think his rule is valid. I have several simple examples which defeat it, and I’ll post them in a comment if you can’t come up with them on your own (they are trivial).

This example shouldn’t distract you from the fact that question above still isn’t sufficiently answered. Think on it. I think you’ll be hard pressed.

2.What I mean is this: how much do you actually know about the science most atheists parrot? Most atheists know as little science as most Christians know as little theology. Just as a Christian trusts his priest to tell him what he believes, an atheist trusts scientists with a Ph.D. tacked to their name to tell them what they believe. But how many times have the scientists turned out to be wrong? I only ask this because it seems this is central to the problem that most atheists have. They are repulsed by the phrase “believe” – they are addicted instead to the phrase “know”. But honestly, do you really know, or are you just believing what you’re told? I would like to remind you that in the 1970′s the scientists of the day were seriously concerned that we were about to enter an ice age, and less than 30 years later they are now convinced Earth is about to turn into a desert.

Unless you’ve observed something yourself, or observed and interpreted the evidence yourself and drew your own conclusions, you are just as guilty as faith as any religious person. I will demonstrate this fact by asking you, the atheist, the following questions.

These are all questions that would typically appear on a 100 level biological anthropology couse taught in universities around the world. They relate to your favorite topic: evolution. I will post the answers (and the reasons why you should believe me) at the bottom of the post:

Name the major extinct hominid species from which human beings are presently believed to have evolved.
How long ago did the modern human (Homo Sapiens Sapiens) come into existence?
How long ago did early hominids leave Africa?
How long ago did hominids split from the other primates?
Which biological feature is believed to be the most important in the evolution of man, and why?
Name one phyisical trait or behavior that is unique to the genus Homo.
Who were the neanderthals? Where did they live, when did they live, and why are they gone?
A major event occurred approximately 70,000 years ago very relevant to the evolution of humanity. What was the event, and why is it significant?
If you can’t answer these questions, I think my point is illustrated. And please don’t dwell on the fact that even if you don’t know the answers, the answers exist. Because if you could answer these questions you would know enough to know how little we actually know about these topics.

3. so what are your proof to your common sense ? since you dont believe in science, did the world just came up by itself ? for example, if you are walking by the road and you saw a pen, did it just appeared ther by itself ? did the sun and the moon just came up ? without any supremembeing behind it to make it happpen? your eyes processes millions of colours in less than a milli seconds, your DNA process over billions of codes, how would you classified these or make me believe that there are no God to mke all these things works out? your common sense is the cause of your believe, its deceiving you bro, step up

4. you are very wrong, very very wrong. you common sense as you,ve always claim has made you blind to see. i should be given you proof of these, but it would soon be classified as scam by you, so whats the need ? unless you wont

5. if you said that i culled it from somewhere, can you tell me what is wrong with that? you should answer them regardless of where it came from.
This belief is fundamental to the atheist position. You must answer yes to this question or you have a very hard time denying most, if not all, religious beliefs. However, you should also see how absurd this statement is. The fact that it is always impossible to prove that something does not exist does not change the fact that it cannot be known that something doesn’t exist. So mustn’t you be agnostic? I’ve heard responses to this one too, but they have so far been illegitimate and unsatisfying.

6.i said ''what does the atheism position offer you? NOT what does the atheist religion offer you ? get it right. and why on earth would you believe that ''because finland, etc is not a christian country, thats why their standard of living is so high'' ? I live in Finland, and if you say that they dont practice religion here, then you are a big liar and makes me doubt any of your next post.
there are many world developed countries out there that practice christianity and are still developed. it should not be a basis of your argument.

7. your common sense is deceiving you. pls deal with fact and not what you are mde to believe by your common sense

8. I have heard very few atheists intelligently debate this issue without bringing up the Bible. Let’s assume that it is totally allegorical and Christians didn’t literally believe in Jesus and believed only that the Bible books were stories told by God to illustrate his word. Would this change how you viewed the belief in God? If not, why not?

9. now you are passing through the corner

10. I saved the best for last. I want you to think long and hard about this. We have as little or less evidence that E.T. landed in Roswell than any evidence we have for the truth in any part of the Bible and yet almost every single atheist I meet believes that we are not alone in the universe despite there being no evidence whatsoever. They hand-wave me to death with stories like, “even if only one in a trillion stars had planets and only one in a trillion planets had life and only one in a trillion planets with life hosted intelligent life there would still be eleventy-gazillion earths in the universe”, or they make up fairy tales about Area 51.

If you are an atheist, I am going to require that you also do not believe in E.T. And if you acknowledge that E.T. has not been observed but is likely to exist, I demand that you also acknowledge that God has not been observed but is likely to exist.

have you think the bible is written by ordinary men? many of the things that were in the bible are all coming to pass, the bible is so complete and its the best and widely read book in the world. pls correct your common sense, it goes beyond that.

WAITING
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Enigma(m): 9:43am On Apr 06, 2012
Kay 17: seen the thread before. Wouldn't worth it to read again.

Not my problem. I simply reiterate that evangelical atheism in particular has been proven conclusively to be a religion --- from intellectual and legal/judicial perspectives. smiley

By the way it is threadS not thread. wink

cool
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by harakiri(m): 11:39am On Apr 06, 2012
@dahonestboss

1. since Biblical morality, and the assertion that a God is responsbile for defining and dictating actions as moral by many Christians is a point of contention and is frequently used in arguments on the matter. This issue is compounded by the fact that the morality as defined by the Old Testament is different than the morality defined by the New Testament which is different than the morality exercised by most people today (in general, people today believe the Bible is immoral, including many Christians on many points such as slavery, the killing of homosexuals, and so forth).

Can you make an effort to construct statements that make sense?

As an atheist, if you are to be consistent, then as I see it, two scenarios follow depending on what you believe. If you are a moral relativist (you do not judge other cultures, such as the Iranians, because their moral code is different than your own), then you must necessarily also not use the morality argument as a reason to be an atheist – simply because the morality of Scripture was practiced by a now extinct culture does not mean it alone can be judged. If you believe in universal morality, then the answer to another question becomes central to your belief system: who or what determines which actions are moral and which are not? This is my dilemma. I do believe in absolute morals, but I cannot reconcile the fact that I do not trust any human being, no matter how smart they are, including myself, to prescribe to me what is moral and what is not. Sure, I go by my gut, and I consider myself a pretty moral person, but I am also not so arrogant to believe that I uniquely know what is moral and what is not especially since I will readily acknowledge that the older I get the more moral I become – actions I would have considered moral 10 years ago I consider immoral today, so how am I sure that I will not also think that actions I take today as moral will not be immoral to me 10 years from now?

What part of DISBELIEF in religion and supernatural forces is so incredibly hard for you to grasp?

I have seen a few atheist writings about this topic that attempt to create some logical formula for judging an action, such as this one from ebonmusing: “Always minimize both actual and potential suffering; always maximize both actual and potential happiness.“

And then what?

I am not convinced. Although his essay is thorough and attempts to explain how and why morality can be universal and where it comes from, I don’t buy most of it, nor do I even think his rule is valid. I have several simple examples which defeat it, and I’ll post them in a comment if you can’t come up with them on your own (they are trivial).

Convinced about what? How many times must it be repeated that Atheism is not a religion? When last did you see an Atheist on the street preaching "Atheism" and trying to "convert" souls?

This example shouldn’t distract you from the fact that question above still isn’t sufficiently answered. Think on it. I think you’ll be hard pressed.

Your questions lack any rational whatsoever and you are merely throwing words up and down without understanding the context your statements. I am sure others are reading all the nonsense you've spewed all over here and will acknowledge what i just said.

2.What I mean is this: how much do you actually know about the science most atheists parrot? Most atheists know as little science as most Christians know as little theology. Just as a Christian trusts his priest to tell him what he believes, an atheist trusts scientists with a Ph.D. tacked to their name to tell them what they believe. But how many times have the scientists turned out to be wrong? I only ask this because it seems this is central to the problem that most atheists have. They are repulsed by the phrase “believe” – they are addicted instead to the phrase “know”. But honestly, do you really know, or are you just believing what you’re told? I would like to remind you that in the 1970′s the scientists of the day were seriously concerned that we were about to enter an ice age, and less than 30 years later they are now convinced Earth is about to turn into a desert.

Your problem is that you can't read and understand basic simple English. If you had read my last post, you'd have seen where i expressly said NOT all Atheists are science inclined and majority of science proponents are THEISTS! Did you even read my post at all? You obviously have nothing credible to either say or argue about.

Unless you’ve observed something yourself, or observed and interpreted the evidence yourself and drew your own conclusions, you are just as guilty as faith as any religious person. I will demonstrate this fact by asking you, the atheist, the following questions.

Nonsense.

These are all questions that would typically appear on a 100 level biological anthropology couse taught in universities around the world. They relate to your favorite topic: evolution. I will post the answers (and the reasons why you should believe me) at the bottom of the post:

More nonsense.

Name the major extinct hominid species from which human beings are presently believed to have evolved.
How long ago did the modern human (Homo Sapiens Sapiens) come into existence?
How long ago did early hominids leave Africa?
How long ago did hominids split from the other primates?
Which biological feature is believed to be the most important in the evolution of man, and why?
Name one phyisical trait or behavior that is unique to the genus Homo.
Who were the neanderthals? Where did they live, when did they live, and why are they gone?
A major event occurred approximately 70,000 years ago very relevant to the evolution of humanity. What was the event, and why is it significant?
If you can’t answer these questions, I think my point is illustrated. And please don’t dwell on the fact that even if you don’t know the answers, the answers exist. Because if you could answer these questions you would know enough to know how little we actually know about these topics.

Still talking more nonsense. . .

3. so what are your proof to your common sense ? since you dont believe in science, did the world just came up by itself ? for example, if you are walking by the road and you saw a pen, did it just appeared ther by itself ? did the sun and the moon just came up ? without any supremembeing behind it to make it happpen? your eyes processes millions of colours in less than a milli seconds, your DNA process over billions of codes, how would you classified these or make me believe that there are no God to mke all these things works out? your common sense is the cause of your believe, its deceiving you bro, step up

Proof of common sense? How dumb can you go Mr?

4. you are very wrong, very very wrong. you common sense as you,ve always claim has made you blind to see. i should be given you proof of these, but it would soon be classified as scam by you, so whats the need ? unless you wont

Am i the only one reading all this trash or is it just me?

5. if you said that i culled it from somewhere, can you tell me what is wrong with that? you should answer them regardless of where it came from.
This belief is fundamental to the atheist position. You must answer yes to this question or you have a very hard time denying most, if not all, religious beliefs. However, you should also see how absurd this statement is. The fact that it is always impossible to prove that something does not exist does not change the fact that it cannot be known that something doesn’t exist. So mustn’t you be agnostic? I’ve heard responses to this one too, but they have so far been illegitimate and unsatisfying.

If that question had come from you, i would have known. You aren't very bright i'm afraid to understand the context of what you asked and you are too shallow minded to follow up an in-depth discussion on the topic. I don't banter with dullards. Sorry.

6.i said ''what does the atheism position offer you? NOT what does the atheist religion offer you ? get it right. and why on earth would you believe that ''because finland, etc is not a christian country, thats why their standard of living is so high'' ? I live in Finland, and if you say that they dont practice religion here, then you are a big liar and makes me doubt any of your next post.
there are many world developed countries out there that practice christianity and are still developed. it should not be a basis of your argument.

The nonsense persists.

7. your common sense is deceiving you. pls deal with fact and not what you are mde to believe by your common sense

Yes, it has deceived me so much that i don't believe virgins can get pregnant without $ex (as you do). Whose the dummy now huh?

8. I have heard very few atheists intelligently debate this issue without bringing up the Bible. Let’s assume that it is totally allegorical and Christians didn’t literally believe in Jesus and believed only that the Bible books were stories told by God to illustrate his word. Would this change how you viewed the belief in God? If not, why not?

And your post reeks of so much "intelligence" in think it might be "supernatural". . .lol. You're a complete joke and a waste of time.
9. now you are passing through the corner

Meaning? Do you even read what you write?

10. I saved the best for last. I want you to think long and hard about this. We have as little or less evidence that E.T. landed in Roswell than any evidence we have for the truth in any part of the Bible and yet almost every single atheist I meet believes that we are not alone in the universe despite there being no evidence whatsoever. They hand-wave me to death with stories like, “even if only one in a trillion stars had planets and only one in a trillion planets had life and only one in a trillion planets with life hosted intelligent life there would still be eleventy-gazillion earths in the universe”, or they make up fairy tales about Area 51.

If you are an atheist, I am going to require that you also do not believe in E.T. And if you acknowledge that E.T. has not been observed but is likely to exist, I demand that you also acknowledge that God has not been observed but is likely to exist.

have you think the bible is written by ordinary men? many of the things that were in the bible are all coming to pass, the bible is so complete and its the best and widely read book in the world. pls correct your common sense, it goes beyond that.

WAITING

Is that the best? Pitiful.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by mkmyers45(m): 12:02pm On Apr 06, 2012
dahonestboss:

You are clearly unknowlegable..mtsww are all xtains the same?
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by mkmyers45(m): 12:03pm On Apr 06, 2012
D sage: To all atheist on this thread,particularly kay17,herakiri,idehn,all4naija etc,although some you has already acknowledge the truth by saying that the human spirit or spirituality couldnt be understood solely by our logical reasoning.If you know not what human spirit means&how it actually influence our thought,emotions,conscience,rationality,dream and vision,then why did you doubting the existence of an unseen power/being which is God.
can you prove the existence of this spirit?
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by mkmyers45(m): 12:04pm On Apr 06, 2012
Seun: If God created all good & evil in the universe, how can God not be at least partly evil?

Dis Post they scatter my head. The bible clearly states that God created evil for his own use so clearly we can associate him with evil.
Re: Atheist? Come With Your Questions. by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 06, 2012
mkmyers45: You are clearly unknowlegable..mtsww are all xtains the same?

Most.....lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals / North Using Cattle Colony To Islamise Nigeria, Igbo Wont Accept It – Archbishop / Praying Through The God Of Your Pastor/general Overseer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.