Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

How To Know An African From Another African! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How To Know An African From Another African! (18794 Views)

Another African Immigrant Killed By U.S Police(some Day We'll Be Done Wit Oyibo) / Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know An African From Another African! by onila(f): 4:25pm On Apr 05, 2012
"African IDENTITY" saw this online grin

It comes, as something of a surprise to many Africans to discover that
all Africans look the same to non-Africans, How do you tell a
Nigerian from a Kenyan? And I am not talking about passports or clothing.
The easiest way, of course, is the name, for example "Ogunkoye", "Ekwekwe" or "Babangida" can only be a Nigerian; a"Njoroge", "Otieno" or "Kilonzo" must be from Kenya.

Where else would you bump into a name like "Promise", "Immaculate" or
"Patience" other than in Zimbabwe? And where do the Dunns come from?They are surely from Liberia or Sierra Leone.

Surely everybody knows that the loud, boisterous and cocky ones are the West Africans; the brooding and sly ones are the North and Southern Africans; the East Africans always say yes even when they disagree vehemently. No wonder there has been very few coups in this region.

Forget about the Egyptians and Sudanese who change their continents based on which side the bread is buttered. When convenient, and the
petro dollar is flowing, they masquarade as Arabs. When the World Bank is dishing out aid to the third world, they shuffle themselves, cup-in-hand, jostling for the paltry aid given to poor African countries.

If you want to be more specific, the Cameroonians will borrow money from you to buy champagne. They can even sell a hole in their pockets to ape the bourgeois.

Ghanaians are cocky, think they invented politics. No Ghanaian worth his salt will conclude a conversation without mentioning the famous Kwame Nkrumah or quoting a phrase from one of his speeches. Even when bargaining at the Bazaar, a "Kwame" phrase has a magical effect. The problem is they think that this effect is world-wide!!! A dukawalla in Bombay was forgiven for thinking "Kwame" was a unit of currency in
Africa!

The Congolese think they have the best music and the best dancers. They have this heavenly feeling that they were brought into this worldto Sing and Dance, and please, for your own safety, don't you dare challenge that! A Congolese can be spotted from afar by the gait of his walk, and it also depends on the mood of the walker: A "Ndombolo" walk is a sign of happiness (, also means 'I've just had it'); a "Baba Gaston" walk is a sign of old age.

The Nigerians have a THING about clothes and jewellery. They are the Indians of Africa; you'll always find a Nigerian in any part of the world, there is one contending for mayorship somewhere in remote Russia of all the places. There is a Nigerian police inspector in the Falklands , and there is a Nigerian cashier atthe First National Bank of Woolongong, (somewhere in Australia) I wonder how long he'll be there before he decides to become fluidywith the cash? They are like cockroaches and will be found in the most unusual places.

The Ethiopians think they have the most beautiful women on God's earth(think about it, have your ever seen an ugly Ethiopian Lady?, no,not the post-menopause geriatric one, we are talking about the under 45 or so, hmm.)

I won't even mention where about the Somalis fit for the time being as they are suffering from a severe identity crisis. How else do you explain a Somali holding a Kenyan passport saying he was born and raised in "Pand-Pieri" (somewhere in Kisumu) while the same gentleman cannot utter the basic general greeting?

Moroccans think they're French and so do the Burkinabes.

Algerians hate the French.

Sierra Leonians smile profusely. Liberians can't get over America, they copy everything including Rambo, no wonder they have Rambo-style rumbles in the jungle. Call it an influence from Hollywood? grin

All East and Southern African countries have more or less the same boring national anthems, but the South Africans sing it the best. Which other national anthem can make your feet lose control and do a jig on their own?

The South Africans have thick and springy hair; the Zambians and Kenyans have prominent foreheads and always smell from yesterday's sweat.

In Southern Africa when a cabinet minister is caught in a corruption scandal, he commits suicide; in West Africa he's promoted after the next coup d'etat. In Kenya, he is stripped of his cabinet post for a short while till the dust settles and then re-instated to a higher cabinet post which amalgamates his earlier cabinet post. In essence, he still controls his earlier ministerial post by proxy.

In athletics, the divisions are easy: from 800m to the marathon the East Africans hold sway; the West Africans are only good at the sprints. South Africans can only sing. But when it comes to football (soccer),the North and West Africans dominate the lesser-skilled east and Southern Africans.

Viva l'Africa!

http://oloruntoba0.tripod.com/how_to_tell_an_african.htm

4 Likes

Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by ifyalways(f): 10:12pm On Apr 05, 2012
Onila da Onila!Me likey.Makes a better read than your "I'm a beautiful girl" threads.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by bokohalal(m): 2:34am On Apr 06, 2012
ifyalways: Onila da Onila!Me likey.Makes a better read than your "I'm a beautiful girl" threads.

I agree a lot with this observation. Funny as well.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:41am On Apr 06, 2012
good. cool
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by onila(f): 5:08pm On Apr 06, 2012
smiley
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by TisaBone: 3:55pm On Apr 07, 2012
onila: "African IDENTITY" saw this online grin

It comes, as something of a surprise to many Africans to discover that
all Africans look the same to non-Africans, How do you tell a
Nigerian from a Kenyan? And I am not talking about passports or clothing.
The easiest way, of course, is the name, for example "Ogunkoye", "Ekwekwe" or "Babangida" can only be a Nigerian; a"Njoroge", "Otieno" or "Kilonzo" must be from Kenya.

Where else would you bump into a name like "Promise", "Immaculate" or
"Patience" other than in Zimbabwe? And where do the Dunns come from?They are surely from Liberia or Sierra Leone.

Surely everybody knows that the loud, boisterous and cocky ones are the West Africans; the brooding and sly ones are the North and Southern Africans; the East Africans always say yes even when they disagree vehemently. No wonder there has been very few coups in this region.

Forget about the Egyptians and Sudanese who change their continents based on which side the bread is buttered. When convenient, and the
petro dollar is flowing, they masquarade as Arabs. When the World Bank is dishing out aid to the third world, they shuffle themselves, cup-in-hand, jostling for the paltry aid given to poor African countries.

If you want to be more specific, the Cameroonians will borrow money to buy champagne. They can even sell a hole in their pockets to ape the bourgeois.

Ghanaians are cocky, think they invented politics. No Ghanaian worth his salt will conclude a conversation without mentioning the famous Kwame Nkrumah or quoting a phrase from one of his speeches. Even when bargaining at the Bazaar, a "Kwame" phrase has a magical effect. The problem is they think that this effect is world-wide!!! A dukawalla in Bombay was forgiven for thinking "Kwame" was a unit of currency in
Africa!

The Congolese think they have the best music and the best dancers. They have this heavenly feeling that they were brought into this worldto Sing and Dance, and please, for your own safety, don't you dare challenge that! A Congolese can be spotted from afar by the gait of his walk, and it also depends on the mood of the walker: A "Ndombolo" walk is a sign of happiness (, also means 'I've just had it'); a "Baba Gaston" walk is a sign of old age.

The Nigerians have a THING about clothes and jewellery. They are the Indians of Africa; you'll always find a Nigerian in any part of the world, there is one contending for mayorship somewhere in remote Russia of all the places. There is a Nigerian police inspector in the Falklands , and there is a Nigerian cashier atthe First National Bank of Woolongong, (somewhere in Australia) I wonder how long he'll be there before he decides to become fluidywith the cash? They are like cockroaches and will be found in the most unusual places.

The Ethiopians think they have the most beautiful women on God's earth(think about it, have your ever seen an ugly Ethiopian Lady?, no,not the post-menopause geriatric one, we are talking about the under 45 or so, hmm.)

I won't even mention where about the Somalis fit for the time being as they are suffering from a severe identity crisis. How else do you explain a Somali holding a Kenyan passport saying he was born and raised in "Pand-Pieri" (somewhere in Kisumu) while the same gentleman cannot utter the basic general greeting?

Moroccans think they're French and so do the Burkinabes.

Algerians hate the French.

Sierra Leonians smile profusely. Liberians can't get over America, they copy everything including Rambo, no wonder they have Rambo-style rumbles in the jungle. Call it an influence from Hollywood? grin

All East and Southern African countries have more or less the same boring national anthems, but the South Africans sing it the best. Which other national anthem can make your feet lose control and do a jig on their own?

The South Africans have thick and springy hair; the Zambians and Kenyans have prominent foreheads and always smell from yesterday's sweat.

In Southern Africa when a cabinet minister is caught in a corruption scandal, he commits suicide; in West Africa he's promoted after the next coup d'etat. In Kenya, he is stripped of his cabinet post for a short while till the dust settles and then re-instated to a higher cabinet post which amalgamates his earlier cabinet post. In essence, he still controls his earlier ministerial post by proxy.

In athletics, the divisions are easy: from 800m to the marathon the East Africans hold sway; the West Africans are only good at the sprints. South Africans can only sing. But when it comes to football (soccer),the North and West Africans dominate the lesser-skilled east and Southern Africans.

Viva l'Africa!

I have no problem believing this. All of the East Africans I have run across are very kind and gentle.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Obiagu1(m): 8:46pm On Apr 07, 2012
onila:

Whick kain name be this shocked
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by onila(f): 6:21pm On Apr 18, 2012
lol
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by onila(f): 8:40pm On Apr 19, 2012
smiley
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Kahwayy(f): 10:01pm On Apr 19, 2012
As a Kenyan I am offended by your post about us..... You even din mention the fact that most middle and long distance runners are from Kenya,at least we're famous for that. Or that Obama's father is Kenyan
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by onila(f): 10:58pm On Apr 19, 2012
Kahwayy: As a Kenyan I am offended by your post about us..... You even din mention the fact that most middle and long distance runners are from Kenya,at least we're famous for that. Or that Obama's father is Kenyan

I didnt write the article sis. .i saw it online and its not written by a Nigerian either

u got a thread for Kenyan women here
https://www.nairaland.com/890300/beauty-kenyan-women
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Santi222(m): 12:06am On Apr 22, 2012
nice.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by ayanle456: 3:33am On May 13, 2012
well. the somalis and ethiopians and eritrans u can tell easily. their tall dark brown to light brown. beutful hair. the rest look like their not done in their evolutionary process. lol

am somali smiley
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by ifyalways(f): 8:56am On May 13, 2012
^You guys take yourselves a tad too serious.Btw,are there no strictly Somalian forumns on the WWW or is this influx on NLD an attestation to much love for Nigerians?

Oh,its sunday,have fun!
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by ayanle456: 9:46pm On May 13, 2012
just statting the obvious. africans are not good looking. horn africans waaay better looking ask anyone
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 13, 2012
^^^
You keep repeating yourself again and again; talking about the same BORING thing over and over again. The thread is discussing Africans and how to differentiate them from one another (not necessarily physically). BTW, I thought you claimed that Somalis are not in any way Africans. Did you change your mind?

For a change Ayanle, why don't you post something of substance on the forum? There's the travel section, sports, technology, religion, family, career, health, literature, politics, foreign affairs, fashion, food...etc where you can make valuable contribution. Don't you read books that we can discuss on the literature section for example? Or perhaps discuss Manchester City's comeback during the extra-time against QPR to clinch the Premier League championship on the sports section for example? Your constant display of shallowness and stu[i]p[/i]idity is not amusing. You come across as a man with very low IQ.

1 Like

Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 1:31am On May 14, 2012
ayanle456: well. the somalis and ethiopians and eritrans u can tell easily. their tall dark brown to light brown. beutful hair. the rest look like their not done in their evolutionary process. lol

am somali smiley

Somalians, Ethiopians and Eritreans are tall? I hope this is a joke.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by ayanle456: 1:49am On May 14, 2012
we are on average taller. go do research.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 1:51am On May 14, 2012
ayanle456: we are on average taller. go do research.

I have never met a Somalian man as tall as me, and Ethiopians and Eritreans are quite short. Look at Afewerki of Eritrea.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by ayanle456: 2:19am On May 14, 2012
again. am talking on average we are taller. i look middle eastern. but the average somali doesnt look like me. so we have to use average. example the average west african is short, very muscular, with big lips, big nose, very dark, and verry nappy hair. anyone who doesnt look like that isnt ur typical west african. for somalis on average we are brown, thin lips, thin nose, tall, soft hair, and a big forehead. anyone who doesnt look like that doesnt have classic somali features. example being me. am very light, mascular.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 2:30am On May 14, 2012
ayanle456: again. am talking on average we are taller. i look middle eastern. but the average somali doesnt look like me. so we have to use average. example the average west african is short, very muscular, with big lips, big nose, very dark, and verry nappy hair. anyone who doesnt look like that isnt ur typical west african. for somalis on average we are brown, thin lips, thin nose, tall, soft hair, and a big forehead. anyone who doesnt look like that doesnt have classic somali features. example being me. am very light, mascular.

I am not too sure about the very muscular part, again you are generalizing. There are many West Africans who are not short...Do you watch football (soccer)? Which people tend to be the tallest there? West Africans.....That should tell you something if West Africans are the tallest in football, it means we have a lot of tall people. Very muscular is probable, though there are a lot of West Africans who are also very weak-looking (due to poor diet). Big lips, big nose, and skin tone varies from person to person. We are far too diverse in West Africa that we have far too many nose shapes, lip shapes, and skin tones. What the heck is Nappy hair?
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by ayanle456: 2:38am On May 14, 2012
wow u are denying every facial feature west africans are known for. as for what is nappy hair its what ur women cover their weaves with.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 2:53am On May 14, 2012
ayanle456: wow u are denying every facial feature west africans are known for. as for what is nappy hair its what ur women cover their weaves with.

As I said before many Nigerian women do not wear weaves. So you can take your peanut sized brain elsewhere
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by ayanle456: 3:01am On May 14, 2012
so who has big lips and big nose? lol u are out of touch that u think nigerians dont have nappy hair. lol
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 3:04am On May 14, 2012
ayanle456: so who has big lips and big nose? lol u are out of touch that u think nigerians dont have nappy hair. lol

This word "nappy" is not in my Nigerian vernacular so you would have to explain to me what it is. It sounds like an American word.

Edit: It is in fact an American word, are you American or something?

Who cares, Nappy hair or w/e you call it is very beautiful. I for one like it and think is one of the most beautiful hairs and unique hairs in the world. We desert warriors in the Sahel are proud of our "nappy" hair even though we just call it curly hair.

Big lips and big noses are features that some people have and some people don't have. Simple as that. I like a beautiful woman with big lips, like this Fulani woman in this song, with her big Juicy lips and pretty face (now I am fantasizing about her feet and toes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytN-ieHM5U
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 14, 2012
Fulaman198:
Big lips and big noses are features that some people have and some people don't have. Simple as that. I like a beautiful woman with big lips, like this Fulani woman in this song, with her big Juicy lips and pretty face (now I am fantasizing about her feet and toes):

Fulaman198! One of these days am going to find out more about this your fetish for feet and toes. grin grin
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 11:29pm On May 14, 2012
Good Girl:

Fulaman198! One of these days am going to find out more about this your fetish for feet and toes. grin grin

grin Please feel free to inquire Dear lady I just am amazed by a woman with beautiful feet and toes. I think it accentuates her natural outer-beauty.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:51pm On May 14, 2012
Fulaman198:

This word "nappy" is not in my Nigerian vernacular so you would have to explain to me what it is. It sounds like an American word.

Edit: It is in fact an American word, are you American or something?

Who cares, Nappy hair or w/e you call it is very beautiful. I for one like it and think is one of the most beautiful hairs and unique hairs in the world. We desert warriors in the Sahel are proud of our "nappy" hair even though we just call it curly hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytN-ieHM5U

Baaba Maal so talented. I saw his live performance once. cool

1 Like

Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 3:10am On May 15, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Baaba Maal so talented. I saw his live performance once. cool

Yah this is a song paying hommage to the great hero :-D the pioneer of Fulani music is definitely Baaba Maal. He brought Fulani music to the map ROFL.

1 Like

Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:33am On May 15, 2012
There is also one Fula band but it is by the Bororo and the Touareg together. They play to end differences between them and preserve each others unique identity at the same time. They sing in Tamashaq and in Fulfulde.
The call themselves "Etran Finatawa".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjX1ziHVX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc5jvJ6FtTk

1 Like

Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 4:35pm On May 15, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
There is also one Fula band but it is by the Bororo and the Touareg together. They play to end differences between them and preserve each others unique identity at the same time. They sing in Tamashaq and in Fulfulde.
The call themselves "Etran Finatawa".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjX1ziHVX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc5jvJ6FtTk

Yep I know Etran Finatawa (Finatawa in Fulfulde means tradition) I think Etran means Stars, I have all of their CDs. I really enjoy their music.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:37pm On May 15, 2012
Fulaman198:

Yep I know Etran Finatawa (Finatawa in Fulfulde means tradition) I think Etran means Stars, I have all of their CDs. I really enjoy their music.

Yes i enjoy it too. They truly are the Stars of Tradition. .

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Ibo Udu Drum / Is It True That Females Always End Up In The Kitchen? (photo) / Is Marriage Still Important In Modern Society/Culture? I Dont Think So.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.