Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,267 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

How To Know An African From Another African! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How To Know An African From Another African! (18789 Views)

Another African Immigrant Killed By U.S Police(some Day We'll Be Done Wit Oyibo) / Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Ptolomeus(m): 9:03pm On May 15, 2012
Really beautiful.
But from here, when we think of African drums ...
African tradition associate with drums ...
(It is not critical, because I really liked it!)
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:07pm On May 15, 2012
Ptolomeus: Really beautiful.
But from here, when we think of African drums ...
African tradition associate with drums ...
(It is not critical, because I really liked it!)

yes African traditions usually use drums. But that is what make us so cultural. Different Tribes have different music. The Touraeg dont use much drums and are not really expert at it.The Tinde drum they use, is played with very simple notes. However this band has made use of the Calabash, an idea borrowed from the Woodabe.

1 Like

Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 9:43pm On May 15, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes African traditions usually use drums. But that is what make us so cultural. Different Tribes have different music. The Touraeg dont use much drums and are not really expert at it.The Tinde drum they use, is played with very simple notes. However this band has made use of the Calabash, an idea borrowed from the Woodabe.

Correct, in all Fulani culture we use Calabash (Tuumbude in fulfulde) to play music, The Wodaabe even take it a step further and use a calabash floating on a water (Azakalabo in fulfulde).

Traditional Fulani music consists of the Following instruments:

1. Hoddu (3 string luth that is known as Kontigi in Hausa)
2. Nyanyeeru (1 string violin known as Goge/Goje in Hausa)
3. Tuumbude (Calabash)
4. Ndandalu (known as Serredu in some other Fulani dialects, this is the Fulani flute)
5. Mbaggu (this is the drum or Kalangu in Hausa)
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by onila(f): 3:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
smiley
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 9:42pm On Jun 27, 2012
onila: smiley

beautiful smile my dear
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by BlackKenichi(m): 7:58pm On Jul 18, 2012
Fulaman198:

I am not too sure about the very muscular part, again you are generalizing. There are many West Africans who are not short...Do you watch football (soccer)? Which people tend to be the tallest there? West Africans.....That should tell you something if West Africans are the tallest in football, it means we have a lot of tall people. Very muscular is probable, though there are a lot of West Africans who are also very weak-looking (due to poor diet). Big lips, big nose, and skin tone varies from person to person. We are far too diverse in West Africa that we have far too many nose shapes, lip shapes, and skin tones. What the heck is Nappy hair?
That's kinda true. I think the tallest West African football (soccer) team has to be the Ivory Coast. Most of the players on the team are 6 feet +.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Fulaman198(m): 12:16am On Jul 20, 2012
Black Kenichi:
That's kinda true. I think the tallest West African football (soccer) team has to be the Ivory Coast. Most of the players on the team are 6 feet +.

Nigeria has a tall team too. But I think Senegal has the tallest players.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by onila(f): 1:32am On Apr 03, 2013
smiley smiley
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:39am On Apr 03, 2013
CENTRAL AFRICA IS MISSING....
STEREOTYPES ARE GOOD.....DIDN'T KNOW THE ONE ABOUT CAMEROONIAN,...LOL
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by onila(f): 1:43am On Apr 03, 2013
CAMNEWTON4PRES: CENTRAL AFRICA IS MISSING....
STEREOTYPES ARE GOOD.....DIDN'T KNOW THE ONE ABOUT CAMEROONIAN,...LOL
champagne n beer
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:59am On Apr 03, 2013
onila: champagne n beer
YOU FORGOT WINE grin grin
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by somalia9: 12:16pm On Apr 03, 2013
I honestly cannot tell anyone apart. I can tell if someone is arab, but cant tell what country, which makes sense since their all the same people.

I can tell an ethiopian from negroids, i cant tell the difference between a eritrean and ethiopian since some of the ethnic groups live in both countries.

I can tell a somali from an ethiopian, cause am somali.

I cant tell the other africans from each other. Forexample i cant tell a nigerian from a senagalese or from a kenyan.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by YourNemesis: 1:42pm On Oct 15, 2016
LOL!!
Funny as hell.
Re: How To Know An African From Another African! by Kexorcist(m): 6:25pm On Oct 16, 2016
Easiest way to tell Africans apart: Ask "Where are you from, brother?" grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Ibo Udu Drum / Is It True That Females Always End Up In The Kitchen? (photo) / Is Marriage Still Important In Modern Society/Culture? I Dont Think So.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.