Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,220 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? (3341 Views)

My Besty Gives Me Attitude When I Use My Fiance Pix As Dp / When is it OK to Cheat on your Partner? / [Kissing] Your Partner Doesn't Know How To Kiss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by tutulicious(f): 5:40pm On Apr 16, 2012
I had an experience that kept me wondering how the listening partner in a relationship react to the other while listening to the others plight.

Do you keep quiet and listen to your partner till the end? or pick one or two phrase and give ur judgement without truly knowing what the end of the story looks like?

Before u give your answer remember that your partner has the choice to choose who to tell, and if you are told you should know it is because your judgement, advise, motivation is seen as valid and it is indeed your responsibility to own up to listening to the end to be able to pass a valid opinion.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by Killz1(m): 6:08pm On Apr 16, 2012
Nice. . .
Relationships where both partners are listening partners, lasts longer. Quick about hearing, but slow about speaking. It also helps to be empathetic to the plight of your other half, putting yourself in her shoes as it were, and seeing the story from her own perspective. Helps in being non-judgmental. . .
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by omar22(m): 3:36pm On Apr 18, 2012
Naturally Men dont listen unless everything the woman is saying attracts the mans attention, its a known fact, 1 lady once said it to me at work, I thought she was joking, until when I walked into the HR department which had almost 30 female workers of different ages, when I asked the question "do men listen" they all said NO. men have a selective response system to pick and choose what they want to listen to.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by LailaIkeji1: 3:58pm On Apr 18, 2012
i appreciate this info. cos once in a while, we dnt listen fully. n dats not so cool.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by MissyB3(f): 4:00pm On Apr 18, 2012
tutulicious: Do you keep quiet and listen to your partner till the end? or pick one or two phrase and give ur judgement without truly knowing what the end of the story looks like?
I'm a good listener, not just to my partner but to any other person that opens up to me.
I usually let them finish before speaking my piece. I may, however, ask questions for the purpose of clarification before they are done talking.
I'm not quick to dish out advice, so I, most times, don't give any unless I'm directly asked to. Only then do I feel a sense of duty to contribute and contribute effectively.

Nothing calms a troubled mind like listening ears, loving eyes, a warm embrace, an non-condemning facial expression and maybe a banter to play down the situation.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by Reference(m): 4:00pm On Apr 18, 2012
This is the basis of any kind of relationship, a listening and understanding ear. If a man or woman stands before her partner like a suspect before a case officer the relationship will be as bad as a jail sentence and when you read through all the relationship threads posted on the front page, the one thing missing admist the challenges is effective communication and not just speaking but like the type that takes place between pilots and ATC's where everything is said twice and repeated by the listener to confirm full comprehension. Relationships built that way never develop mounting challenges.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by slimyem: 4:04pm On Apr 18, 2012
...people wey no dey listen sef go claim sey dm they listen....wink

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by Ninapha(f): 4:11pm On Apr 18, 2012
Unfortunately Most men dont listen, infact they do not want to listen because they are the "men" doing the talking and never to listen. Women listen more and if you dare not listen, its seen as being stuborn and insensitive to issues grin

My problem is how effective and beneficial is our listening to our partners plight?

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by Koolking(m): 5:14pm On Apr 18, 2012
Naturally, when listening to a partner telling h/er own story it is expedient to cut-in timely to say one or two things or ask question(s) to affirm you are actually giving her the attention and following h/er story. Personally, if a partner keeps mute till the end of my story it is very likely that she is not giving all the attention and with considerable certainty not interested in the story but only pretends to be listening.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by GboyegaD(m): 6:23pm On Apr 18, 2012
Sometimes I do not listen particularly when I don't feel the need to however, I am never quick to condemm and I think I have the strength of following up on people to reach a logical conclusion if they open up to me.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 18, 2012
I listen well enough to find solution. I am dating not in any form of married relationship.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 18, 2012
omar22: Naturally Men dont listen unless everything the woman is saying attracts the mans attention, its a known fact, 1 lady once said it to me at work, I thought she was joking, until when I walked into the HR department which had almost 30 female workers of different ages, when I asked the question "do men listen" they all said NO. men have a selective response system to pick and choose what they want to listen to.
Going by your empiricism, women are just as guilty. I know for a fact that if you had gone to the Production Department and asked the fellas this same question (with women being the subject) they would give the same response. Most people tend to feel ignored and voiceless in relationships, it's not gender specific.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by JojoArmani(m): 11:54pm On Apr 18, 2012
I like dis topic,
honestly Listening is really hard to do especially for guys. I know am a gud listener.

But i dont actually blame guys dat dont give their partner listening ear cos some girls re always talkin bla bla bla. So even wen dey ve important tins to talk, de guy thinks is anoda bla bla bla.

But is gud to be listening to people no mata wat they re sayin, imagine if is u dat is talkin to someone and de person is not even listening.

Is hard to listen but try guys. Girls loves it.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by dljbd1(m): 12:05am On Apr 19, 2012
fresh_dude: Going by your empiricism, women are just as guilty. I know for a fact that if you had gone to the Production Department and asked the fellas this same question (with women being the subject) they would give the same response. Most people tend to feel ignored and voiceless in relationships, it's not gender specific.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by dljbd1(m): 12:06am On Apr 19, 2012
fresh_dude: Going by your empiricism, women are just as guilty. I know for a fact that if you had gone to the Production Department and asked the fellas this same question (with women being the subject) they would give the same response. Most people tend to feel ignored and voiceless in relationships, it's not gender specific.

Am sowie dude bt I disagree. Men hardly talk wt their wives except whn coaxing mostly for pleasure. They prefer talks wt friends nd colleagues...mostly abt soccer nd even abt other women. Women r created 2talk nd I believe God created men so we cld listen 2them anytime, anywhere, nd anyhow. Men shld learn 2listen to them! Fynx
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by kaboninc(m): 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2012
dl_jbd:

Am sowie dude bt I disagree. Men hardly talk wt their wives except whn coaxing mostly for pleasure. They prefer talks wt friends nd colleagues...mostly abt soccer nd even abt other women. Women r created 2talk nd I believe God created men so we cld listen 2them anytime, anywhere, nd anyhow. Men shld learn 2listen to them! Fynx
I still think its not gender specific. Both genders are guilty. If you say God created guys to listen to their partners what about the men? Who did God create to be their listener? Its a 50-50 thing. Both partners should try as much as possible to listen to themselves.
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 19, 2012
dl_jbd:

Well then that would be unfair generalising on your part. When I was in a relationship I used to talk to my ex about anything and everything. We cant all be the same, and frankly I've had friends tell me ''she just doesn't listen what else am I gon do?''
Re: What Is Your Listening Attitude Like To The Plight Of Your Partner? by agreene: 6:56pm On Apr 19, 2012
I just broke up with my Nigerian boyfriend because he doesn't listen. We were in a long-distance relationship
and I would discuss my concerns with him but they were never really addressed. I felt he never listened to me.

I am not saying I am the best listener but I am concerned enough to work on any issues my partner may have.

I sent him an email the other day with concerns. I also mentioned I didn't think I would come and see him in May since

I had plans on breaking up with him due to his communication. His response only focus on him being upset at me canceling my flight.

He totally disregarding my concerns and focused on his concerns. I was really disappointed. So I broke up with him.

Terrible Listener!

(1) (Reply)

True Talk.....pix / [photo] A Woman's Menstrual Pad Falls Off While Performing On Stage :o / Pics: What Will You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.