Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,132 members, 7,811,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... (87565 Views)

Poll: Which is the best feed?

Coppens. From holland!.: 69% (18 votes)
Chi feed. from ibadan!: 15% (4 votes)
Durante. From ibadan!: 11% (3 votes)
zeigler from usa!: 0% (0 votes)
Vita feed from jos: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 6:52am On May 11, 2012
akonucheinfo: Please i want some one to help here. am confused, i started fish biz just this january 2012, through a friend who is into it as well. My problem is water, and feeding frequent without seeing the growth.

As i speak, i have roughly spent 500k, and they are in the 4th month, yet i hardly see 1kg. am not impressed with the growth considering how much i have put into it. I have been using a local feed formulation. dont know if thats where the problem is. but in my fomulation i have more of FISH MEAL, SOYA MEAL, GNS, AND INDOMIE. it seem i will paste my formulation here when next i come. pls advise. i need them to be atleast 1kg in the 4th month or 5th month at most. i need all the help i can get. tnx all

Hello boss, if I read this well your problem is water? And u don't feed them frequently?

Ok pls weigh abt 5 to 10 of ur fishes this is to know if there are dwarfs or nt.

* num 2, sort the ones u see hv grown a bit into a seperate pond.

3*Try coppens. And remove indomie from them formula.

4* Test ur water.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Bblife1: 8:47am On May 11, 2012
@akonucheinfo, u said ur problem is water, what do u mean with that statement and how do u knw ur problem is water. Pls tell d house for us to learn more. If u knw ur problem as u've said, have u tried some measure to correct it?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by digi101(m): 9:55am On May 11, 2012
Awesome thread i must say! Just want to use this opportunity to inform intending catfish farmers in ibadan theres a ready fish farm up for sale with the following details:

9 Earthen ponds (5 nos 80ft x 45ft, 4 nos 40 x 30ft)
4 concrete ponds (25 ft x 25ft)
- 1 room farm house
- 1 well
- located near a stream (flows all year)
- The ponds are desined in a flow through system.
The farm is located 4 plots from the main ologuneru - eleyele road. Documents available purchase receipt and agreement. Serious buyers should please call for inspection.

Asking price: N2.2 Million

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by zogo(m): 10:48am On May 11, 2012
try Heliculture (Snail Farming) you'll be happy you dis. see

www.snailfarmingng..com

I will see you @ the top!
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ikooko(m): 4:47pm On May 11, 2012
akonucheinfo: Please i want some one to help here. am confused, i started fish biz just this january 2012, through a friend who is into it as well. My problem is water, and feeding frequent without seeing the growth.

As i speak, i have roughly spent 500k, and they are in the 4th month, yet i hardly see 1kg. am not impressed with the growth considering how much i have put into it. I have been using a local feed formulation. dont know if thats where the problem is. but in my fomulation i have more of FISH MEAL, SOYA MEAL, GNS, AND INDOMIE. it seem i will paste my formulation here when next i come. pls advise. i need them to be atleast 1kg in the 4th month or 5th month at most. i need all the help i can get. tnx all
if you read my previous post, i emphasised that water is key in aqualculture. for fish to convert foods the water level must be 4ft but if you operate earthy pond and your fish are within 2months, 3ft water levell is still ok.
The danger in local feed is it sinks and it difficult to know if your fish are feeding or you're just wasting the feeds. patience is needed once you change to local feeds; you must adopt spot feeding with 2-3 pieces of feeds at a time - boring and time consuming you say but u'll get result. when wte level drops, it is adviceable to feed them less frequently to avoid poluting your pond. meanwhile bigger fish feed under water unlike smaller ones that love to play at surface, nevertheless you'll need to sort and do weight sampling. just yesteday my friend had to sell off 2months old fishes due to lack of water.
If ure having water issues at 4months, sell off to avoid disease oubreak and minimise your loss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 5:56pm On May 11, 2012
@ akonucheinfo,so many people want to help wit ur problem but u are no where to be found.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 1:20pm On May 13, 2012
Still not found.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 8:15pm On May 13, 2012
thankx sorry 4 not being on line. I was out in search 4 solution 2my water. (by water problem,i meant iron content & pumping issues).i have been managing with the iron content in the water My Pumping machine break down, &the repair cost is on the high side. Dont know where to get a better & affordable pumping machine now. As for the growth level,i feed them 3times dairly but not certified with the level they are now cos they are in the 4th mont already. i will appreciate if someone can assist me with a better feeding formula, cos i want to possibly sale them off at the middle of july @ a target of 1kg & above. Tnx
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:30pm On May 13, 2012
akonucheinfo: thankx sorry 4 not being on line. I was out in search 4 solution 2my water. (by water problem,i meant iron content & pumping issues).i have been managing with the iron content in the water My Pumping machine break down, &the repair cost is on the high side. Dont know where to get a better & affordable pumping machine now. As for the growth level,i feed them 3times dairly but not certified with the level they are now cos they are in the 4th mont already. i will appreciate if someone can assist me with a better feeding formula, cos i want to possibly sale them off at the middle of july @ a target of 1kg &
above. Tnx
Geez,did u really do a lot of research b4 u started fish farming, I dbt, iron content can be treated just go to a plumber, they sell a chemical for tht it isn't tht expensive, for pumping machine get a plumber to get a cheaper 1 for you, feeding,it is obvious by now that formula doesn't work for you CHANGE TO COPPENs.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 8:40pm On May 13, 2012
tnx, i really appreciate ur quick response. But, i want to ask why coppens? Cant u assist me & give me a better local fomula that will boost there growth or better still is there any oda foreign feed that can do thesame work as coppens? Tnx
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:57pm On May 13, 2012
akonucheinfo: tnx, i really appreciate ur quick response. But, i want to ask why coppens? Cant u assist me & give me a better local fomula that will boost there growth or better still is there any oda foreign feed that can do thesame work as coppens? Tnx

Coppens becos it makes them grow,no other foreign feed I know tht works as coppens does, you can experiment.I would have said use a local feed tht has more fish meal but since u already use tht and it didn't work, I suggest change to coppens, and by the way are u sure they mix ur formula wit more of fish meal?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 9:03pm On May 13, 2012
tnx, i use 25kg fish meal in paleting 100kg feed.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 9:14pm On May 13, 2012
akonucheinfo: tnx, i use 25kg fish meal in paleting 100kg feed.

U mix it urself or some1 tells u he does that for you! Use 32kg - 42kg. Of fish meal jare.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 9:36pm On May 13, 2012
i mix it myself and even wait till they finish the production. 1kg fish meal is 470naira x 42 = 19740 + other tins, will sum it up to about 40k for 100kg and this last me for just a week.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 10:33pm On May 13, 2012
hello Jay pls i will like to know, if i give my fish coppens between now and middle of june, will there be high difference compared to local feed.? Also,i will like to know how much is a bag of coppens now, and where i can get it cheap.if am to feed 3000 fish with coppens,how many bag of coppens am i likely to use for a week. I really need to know all these. tnx for ur help and concern. Wait ur reply.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 10:44pm On May 13, 2012
akonucheinfo: hello Jay pls i will like to know, if i give my fish coppens between now and middle of june, will there be high difference compared to local feed.? Also,i will like to know how much is a bag of coppens now, and where i can get it cheap.if am to feed 3000 fish with coppens,how many bag of coppens am i likely to use for a week. I really need to know all these. tnx for ur help and concern. Wait ur reply.

Yes it is possible to get good result frm now till july when u want to sell,plus ur water has to be treated,it is nt abt hw many times u feed it is when u feed,and hw u feed,too much feed will pollute the water,coppens is abt 5000k per bag it depends on where ur farm is boss, I am sùre there will be some place u can get it in ur area boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 10:56pm On May 13, 2012
tnx. But pls when is the best time to feed & how? How many bags of coppens will 3000 fish comsume for a week?. Sorry am asking too much. If i decide to fee my fist just twice a day will there be any effect?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 11:25pm On May 13, 2012
akonucheinfo: tnx. But pls when is the best time to feed & how? How many bags of coppens will 3000 fish comsume for a week?. Sorry am asking too much. If i decide to fee my fist just twice a day will there be any effect?

Refer to the other pages of this post boss,u will find d answer there boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 1:44am On May 14, 2012
tnx. I have read tru all post and didnt find answer to my question. My questions are: 1. When is the best time to feed ur fish in a day? 2. How is the best is the best way to feed ur fish?. 3. How bags of coppens will 1000 fish consume in a week?. Pls just atleast enlighten me more on the 1st 2 or all question. Tnx
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 3:01am On May 14, 2012
@ ikooko, in 1 of ur post u said fish respond well to feeding in the night as they do in day time. Am a little bit uncertain here, i want to change from a local feed to foreign feed,as @jay advised.but, i want to limit the feeding to twice dairly to minimize my cost. Will it be ok if i feed my fish 2 times a day? And will they respond the way i want? If am to feed my fish only 2 times a day, when is the perfect time to feed them in a day? Morning & night or noon and night? Pls advise....@jay ur comment on this will be highly welcomed too.tnx
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 7:12am On May 14, 2012
akonucheinfo: tnx. I have read tru all post and didnt find answer to my question. My questions are: 1. When is the best time to feed ur fish in a day? 2. How is the best is the best way to feed ur fish?. 3. How bags of coppens will 1000 fish consume in a week?. Pls just atleast enlighten me more on the 1st 2 or all question. Tnx

Best time to feed frm 10am to 1pm,I am skeping questn 2, u shud knw,que 3 = the weight of 1 fish * 8-10% * 1000 is what 1000 would eat per day * by 7 u shud get ur ans boss, pls go back And do a training o boss.ur questions are veri funny.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 7:13am On May 14, 2012
akonucheinfo: @ ikooko, in 1 of ur post u said fish respond well to feeding in the night as they do in day time. Am a little bit uncertain here, i want to change from a local feed to foreign feed,as @jay advised.but, i want to limit the feeding to twice dairly to minimize my cost. Will it be ok if i feed my fish 2 times a day? And will they respond the way i want? If am to feed my fish only 2 times a day, when is the perfect time to feed them in a day? Morning & night or noon and night? Pls advise....@jay ur comment on this will be highly welcomed too.tnx

Boss I hv answered ur question.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 11:44am On May 14, 2012
@ akonucheinfo where is your farm located or fish pond? What type of pond is it?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ikooko(m): 12:56pm On May 14, 2012
akonucheinfo: @ ikooko, in 1 of ur post u said fish respond well to feeding in the night as they do in day time. Am a little bit uncertain here, i want to change from a local feed to foreign feed,as @jay advised.but, i want to limit the feeding to twice dairly to minimize my cost. Will it be ok if i feed my fish 2 times a day? And will they respond the way i want? If am to feed my fish only 2 times a day, when is the perfect time to feed them in a day? Morning & night or noon and night? Pls advise....@jay ur comment on this will be highly welcomed too.tnx

i feed my fish at nights and their response is superb. even though temperature is cold at night but pound water is warm. This is explained by land and sea breeze. Am able to feed at night because my farm is my house.
The number of times and quality of feed will determine the result u'll get. Did you even bother about the source of your fish? if every other input is right but wrong source, u'll get bad result.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 2:23pm On May 14, 2012
ikooko:

i feed my fish at nights and their response is superb. even though temperature is cold at night but pound water is warm. This is explained by land and sea breeze. Am able to feed at night because my farm is my house.
The number of times and quality of feed will determine the result u'll get. Did you even bother about the source of your fish? if every other input is right but wrong source, u'll get bad result.

@ikooko, you are right, first thing you need to check is the source of your fish, because if you have a problem there, forget it, there won't be better success, so please check the source of your fish first, and then the other problems are minor.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:33pm On May 14, 2012
There enough answers for you boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 10:29pm On May 14, 2012
Pond available for rent @ipaja lagos call 08053018934 for more information.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 11:10pm On May 14, 2012
@jay, my farm is in Lagos, i use concrete pond. @ikooko, tnx. i got my fish from a reputable farmer in my area. health wise, i will rate them 80%. But, how do i check the source of the fish? pls clear me out
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 1:20pm On May 15, 2012
akonucheinfo: @jay, my farm is in Lagos, i use concrete pond. @ikooko, tnx. i got my fish from a reputable farmer in my area. health wise, i will rate them 80%. But, how do i check the source of the fish? pls clear me out

If in lagos then just treat ur water, they are a lot of labs,take a sample of ur water and test then they will tell u what chemical to use.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 3:22pm On May 15, 2012
bros i will starting my farm 2 weeks time, am doing the liming tomorrow, i some questions pls,how many grams does fingerlin weighs(rite nw i dnt have a weighing scale), secondly what month do u suggest i do sortin/seperation and how can i do mine since i hav jst 1 earthern ware type pond. my farm dy warri. Am suspending d Disc 4 nw(my capital no reach to include d disc) so how often should i change d pond water. Tank u.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 5:26pm On May 15, 2012
deandavid: bros i will starting my farm 2 weeks time, am doing the liming tomorrow, i some questions pls,how many grams does fingerlin weighs(rite nw i dnt have a weighing scale), secondly what month do u suggest i do sortin/seperation and how can i do mine since i hav jst 1 earthern ware type pond. my farm dy warri. Am suspending d Disc 4 nw(my capital no reach to include d disc) so how often should i change d pond water. Tank u.

Bros I hail o but u questions tire me o, where u dey buy ur fingerlings ask the bros for der make him help u weigh 1 or 2 fingerlings na,I no go lie u need a scale to aleast to dey measure quantity of feed you dey give them na,if na 1 earthern pond u get u no fit sort na,if for warri o na get drainage wey when u drain water e no go disturb the whole environment then draining water frm the pond shud be evry 2weeks,but guy get another pond o so u go fit they sort.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 11:13pm On May 15, 2012
pls, one more question. feeding with coppens will cost me alot. i want to go with either Multi Feed or Vital Feed. pls want to know, amongst the 2 which is better and why. pls i need clarification .tnx

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Strange Bird Killed By Fulani / Giant Fish Caught In Lake At IITA Ibadan. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.