Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them (10027 Views)

Still A Christian? When Was The Last Time You Did Any Of These? / If Your Fellowship Holds These Teachings, Then It's Time You Moved On / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 8:13pm On May 11, 2012
Okay. seems you are coming up gradually. Now, if you go down verse 14 of 1 cor. 14, it says

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

AND VERSE 2 SAYS,

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands [him]; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

I want you to consider the bolded in v14 and 2 where I highlighted. The ONLY way I know that we SPEAK to GOD (as per vs 2) IS BY PRAYING (as per vs 14). It is very clear that this tongue is NOT the known or understandable one by men unlike the day of Pentecost. IT IS A TONGUE USED OR IN PRAYING TO GOD ONLY. It's a mystery in the spirit that even the man that speaks don't understand. It's a manifestation of the Spirit of God AS GIVEN in an act of prayer or speaking to God.

Now, what am against is the mis-use of the gift in THE CHURCH GATHERING. Because it doesn't edify the church, so what? Why speaking it all over the place in the church since you are not the only one in the church. You should speak something that others will benefit from. Many people had mis-use the gift and follow it blindly in a religious way and hence, they rubbish the gift.

Back to your topic or Thread, Should people shut up in the church speaking in tongues, YES! Because no man understand it and it does not edify others. Beside, the gifts of tongues and it's interpretation if need be ARE THE LEAST OF THE GIFTS. It means, someone can start from the bottom (least) and develop or covet spiritual gifts to the top or greatest of all which is wisdom. Anyone that also prophesy is greater (in the manifestion of the gifts) than he that speaks in tongues, because prophesy benefits the church but tongues doesn't, it edifies only the speaker. (vs 3-5)

How do you see this explanation?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 8:51pm On May 11, 2012
Goshen360: Okay. seems you are coming up gradually. Now, if you go down verse 14 of 1 cor. 14, it says

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

AND VERSE 2 SAYS,

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands [him]; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

I want you to consider the bolded in v14 and 2 where I highlighted. The ONLY way I know that we SPEAK to GOD (as per vs 2) IS BY PRAYING (as per vs 14). It is very clear that this tongue is NOT the known or understandable one by men unlike the day of Pentecost. IT IS A TONGUE USED OR IN PRAYING TO GOD ONLY. It's a mystery in the spirit that even the man that speaks don't understand. It's a manifestation of the Spirit of God AS GIVEN in an act of prayer or speaking to God.

Now, what am against is the mis-use of the gift in THE CHURCH GATHERING. Because it doesn't edify the church, so what? Why speaking it all over the place in the church since you are not the only one in the church. You should speak something that others will benefit from. Many people had mis-use the gift and follow it blindly in a religious way and hence, they rubbish the gift.

Back to your topic or Thread, Should people shut up in the church speaking in tongues, YES! Because no man understand it and it does not edify others. Beside, the gifts of tongues and it's interpretation if need be ARE THE LEAST OF THE GIFTS. It means, someone can start from the bottom (least) and develop or covet spiritual gifts to the top or greatest of all which is wisdom. Anyone that also prophesy is greater (in the manifestion of the gifts) than he that speaks in tongues, because prophesy benefits the church but tongues doesn't, it edifies only the speaker. (vs 3-5)

How do you see this explanation?
exquisitely magnificent monsieur Goshen. tres bien. am with you so far

1 Like

Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 8:58pm On May 11, 2012
speaking in tongues is the least of the gifts because you are basically just edifying yourself. prophesy on the other hand is a great gift because it is selfless. you are edifying others.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 9:50pm On May 11, 2012
^
You have 1000+ points and applause. In one of my courses in the bible school where I got 100%, the lecturer said to me, "you cannot get more than 100% he would have given me". Same I say to you brother but by the Grace of Apostleship on me, I give you 1000+, lolz grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Joagbaje(m): 11:06pm On May 11, 2012
buzugee: speaking in tongues is the least of the gifts because you are basically just edifying yourself. prophesy on the other hand is a great gift because it is selfless. you are edifying others.

We need to understand the code to this chapter. Prophecy here refers to speaking to people in a known language while speaking with tongues has to do with prophesying in an u known tongues. Talking to others in tongues does not in anyway edify the speaker or the hearer. but praying to God or talking to God in tongues do edify the speaker.

The major point about prophecy here is giving a message in a "known language" while tongues deals with giving a message in an "unknown language" both are either prophecies or exhortations . But praying in tongues is a different ball game. It is talking to God and not to man. So to understand verse by verse we must when the word "tongues " addresses prophecy or prayer. It's sometimes used interchangeably
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 1:17am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360: ^
You have 1000+ points and applause. In one of my courses in the bible school where I got 100%, the lecturer said to me, "you cannot get more than 100% he would have given me". Same I say to you brother but by the Grace of Apostleship on me, I give you 1000+, lolz grin
hey i learn from the best. you, that is grin grin grin . you went to bible school ? in america or naija ?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 1:27am On May 12, 2012
^^^
Here in America bro. "Maybe" (depending on my finance) when am coming to Nigeria by the grace of God, I have the thought to buy some study materials and give to some of you my good friends on Nairaland. I have started building a bible commentary now. lolz. It's a whole lots of works but it will take years though to finish the whole NT. I will hit you guys with a taste of my exposit commentary on one of the NT books of the bible am doing right now. That is why am spending less time on Nairaland now not entering too many threads.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 1:30am On May 12, 2012
Joagbaje:

We need to understand the code to this chapter. Prophecy here refers to speaking to people in a known language while speaking with tongues has to do with prophesying in an u known tongues. Talking to others in tongues does not in anyway edify the speaker or the hearer. but praying to God or talking to God in tongues do edify the speaker.

The major point about prophecy here is giving a message in a "known language" while tongues deals with giving a message in an "unknown language" both are either prophecies or exhortations . But praying in tongues is a different ball game. It is talking to God and not to man. So to understand verse by verse we must when the word "tongues " addresses prophecy or prayer. It's sometimes used interchangeably
you couldnt have explained it any better. Known tongue = prophesy to others and edifies others
unknown tongue = praying to God and edifies the speaker. yall gone get me speaking in tongues in a minute now grin grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 1:35am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^
Here in America bro. "Maybe" (depending on my finance) when am coming to Nigeria by the grace of God, I have the thought to buy some study materials and give to some of you my good friends on Nairaland. I have started building a bible commentary now. lolz. It's a whole lots of works but it will take years though to finish the whole NT. I will hit you guys with a taste of my exposit commentary on one of the NT books of the bible am doing right now. That is why am spending less time on Nairaland now not entering too many threads.
come on now. you gotta share that knowledge bruh. give us a lil taster of what is to come. let us wet our beaks. a lil shumtin shumtin grin grin you plan on releasing a book ? thats a great idea you know ? with all this knowledge you are collating you can just write a book. religious books are hot cakes in nigeria. you can even get a publisher in nigeria easily.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 1:43am On May 12, 2012
buzugee: you couldnt have explained it any better. Known tongue = prophesy to others and edifies others
unknown tongue = praying to God and edifies the speaker. yall gone get me speaking in tongues in a minute now grin grin

I can lead you to the gift of Speaking in tongues BUT the answer is in 1 Cor 14:1, 5, 39

Pursue love, and [size=15pt]desire[/size] spiritual [gifts], but especially that you may prophesy.

I wish you [size=15pt]all[/size] spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for [fn] he who prophesies [is] greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Therefore, brethren, [size=15pt]desire earnestly[/size] to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.

That's the Key (above and below verses) but remember it is the Holy Ghost that gives each and not all speaks in tongues.

And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. [Are] all apostles? [Are] all prophets? [Are] all teachers? [Are] all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? [size=15pt]But earnestly desire the best gifts.[/size] And yet I show you a more excellent way.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 1:54am On May 12, 2012
buzugee: come on now. you gotta share that knowledge bruh. give us a lil taster of what is to come. let us wet our beaks. a lil shumtin shumtin grin grin you plan on releasing a book ? thats a great idea you know ? with all this knowledge you are collating you can just write a book. religious books are hot cakes in nigeria. you can even get a publisher in nigeria easily.

Yeah you are right. But I found out I have the gift of teaching and doing exposition of the word. I have not really learnt how to write book yet as in, arranging my thought, by thought but I can assure you by the Holy Ghost, I can do skilled exposition of God's word. I think one has to be trained to arrange concept of writing books. I might consider books in the future but not now. What I am "sent" to do for now is "give" freely. I plan to "give" freely here on Nairaland for now. Whatever God desire I do in the future, I will do.

Since you asked for a taste of what am doing right now, I will give you guys some nuggets from the book of Jude. I will extract a portion (ONLY VERSE ONE) of the book of Jude and you can see how the grace of God works in my life. This might encourage people and readers to do more studies. I took 5 days to expand on Jude verse 1 only. I will give some extracts from it on Sunday or Monday.

You are NOT far from the kingdom bro. The kingdom is near you and infact, within you.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 1:56am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360:

I can lead you to the gift of Speaking in tongues BUT the answer is in 1 Cor 14:1, 5, 39

Pursue love, and [size=15pt]desire[/size] spiritual [gifts], but especially that you may prophesy.

I wish you [size=15pt]all[/size] spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for [fn] he who prophesies [is] greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Therefore, brethren, [size=15pt]desire earnestly[/size] to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.

That's the Key (above and below verses) but remember it is the Holy Ghost that gives each and not all speaks in tongues.

And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. [Are] all apostles? [Are] all prophets? [Are] all teachers? [Are] all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? [size=15pt]But earnestly desire the best gifts.[/size] And yet I show you a more excellent way.
i think i will desire a higher gift, the one that edifies others. prophesying. but if i recieve the gift of tongues, it is a blessing too, although i think that ship has sailed. i got my gift already. i believe each man gets one gift. wink
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 1:58am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360:

Yeah you are right. But I found out I have the gift of teaching and doing exposition of the word. I have not really learnt how to write book yet as in, arranging my thought, by thought but I can assure you by the Holy Ghost, I can do skilled exposition of God's word. I think one has to be trained to arrange concept of writing books. I might consider books in the future but not now. What I am "sent" to do for now is "give" freely. I plan to "give" freely here on Nairaland for now. Whatever God desire I do in the future, I will do.

Since you asked for a taste of what am doing right now, I will give you guys some nuggets from the book of Jude. I will extract a portion (ONLY VERSE ONE) of the book of Jude and you can see how the grace of God works in my life. This might encourage people and readers to do more studies. I took 5 days to expand on Jude verse 1 only. I will give some extracts from it on Sunday or Monday.

You are NOT far from the kingdom bro. The kingdom is near you and infact, within you.
nah writing books is easy. i have written one and produced one. all self published of course. trust me, its not hard. oh the kingdom is within us all if we have faith and try our best to obey the commands ( which are easy to do )
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 1:58am On May 12, 2012
Let's solve a puzzle in the Holy Ghost before we go to bed tonight. Are you ready?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 2:00am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360: Let's solve a puzzle in the Holy Ghost before we go to bed tonight. Are you ready?
hmmmm ok i guess. i am a lil tipsy on baileys though. just thought i will warn you ahead of time grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:05am On May 12, 2012
If you tie Gen 1:2 Nkjv

The earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

AND LUKE 5:4 Kjv

Now when he had ceased speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a catch.

DO YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE OUT SOME REVELATION OF WHAT CHRIST WAS SAYING TO SIMEON? IT'S A GREAT MESSAGE CHRIST WAS PASSING TO PETER. CAN YOU DECODE IT?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:08am On May 12, 2012
buzugee: hmmmm ok i guess. i am a lil tipsy on baileys though. just thought i will warn you ahead of time grin

I don't think your baileys can allow you decode that message now,lolz grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 2:13am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360: If you tie Gen 1:2 Nkjv

The earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

Now when he had ceased speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a catch.

DO YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE OUT SOME REVELATION OF WHAT CHRIST WAS SAYING TO SIMEON? IT'S A GREAT MESSAGE CHRIST WAS PASSING TO PETER. CAN YOU DECODE IT?

basically means try to pull as many people out of the darkness into the light by preaching the good gospel of the lord. be fishers of men. bring men into the truth of christ and away from their darkness. away from their gentile state of mind. he is telling them to be fishers of men. its a symbolic verse. wink well what say ye emperor Goshen ?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 2:13am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360:

I don't think your baileys can allow you decode that message now,lolz grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked
ahead of ya. message decoded cheesy
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 2:15am On May 12, 2012
you know a book i would love you to decode ? revelation verse 12
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:22am On May 12, 2012
buzugee: you know a book i would love you to decode ? revelation verse 12

Chapter what? I think the baileys is working already,lolz grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 2:24am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360:

Chapter what? I think the baileys is working already,lolz grin
LOL. its chapter 12 my bad. you dont have to do it now but if you want to its cool. its a deep chapter. ever read it before ? revelations chapter 12. from head to bottom
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:24am On May 12, 2012
buzugee: basically means try to pull as many people out of the darkness into the light by preaching the good gospel of the lord. be fishers of men. bring men into the truth of christ and away from their darkness. away from their gentile state of mind. he is telling them to be fishers of men. its a symbolic verse. wink well what say ye emperor Goshen ?

Nooooooooooo. That's NOT what Christ was saying to Peter bro, baileys at work in your blood. Instead, you need to be drunk in the Holy Ghost. Be under the "influence" of baileys Holy Ghost grin grin grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:25am On May 12, 2012
buzugee: LOL. its chapter 12 my bad. you dont have to do it now but if you want to its cool. its a deep chapter. ever read it before ?

Okay, I will try but maybe not now.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 2:26am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360:

Okay, I will try but maybe not now.
no rush. we here everyday so long as our savior continues to give us breath.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 2:27am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360:

Nooooooooooo. That's NOT what Christ was saying to Peter bro, baileys at work in your blood. Instead, you need to be drunk in the Holy Ghost. Be under the "influence" of baileys Holy Ghost grin grin grin
ahhhh my bad LOL so what was he saying to simon ? school me. lets see your version of interpretation
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:30am On May 12, 2012
Let me help you with another nugget to decode that Gen 1:2 and Luke 5:4 I gave you before. Here is another tips to decode that one.

Gen 1:1
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. kjv

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1 nkjv

CAN YOU MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF THESE VERSES STILL?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:34am On May 12, 2012
buzugee: ahhhh my bad LOL so what was he saying to simon ? school me. lets see your version of interpretation

This is NOT a matter of Interpretation. When you teach, is when you interpret BUT when you preach, you preach BY REVELATION. Revelation is the Application of what the Spirit of God reveals to you. I will show you what Christ was saying to Peter in a moment but I might go and take a shower then come back later....if you are still awake. But if not, I will just post it and you read tomorrow.
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:37am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360: If you tie Gen 1:2 Nkjv

OK NOW, TO HELP YOU A LITTLE WITH WHAT CHRIST WAS SAYING TO SIMEON PETER, ADD THIS VERSE

Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb: Gen 49:25 kjv

CAN YOU GET SOMETHING OUT OF IT STILL?
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by Goshen360(m): 2:53am On May 12, 2012
Mehn, I told you, your ogogoro will not allow you tonight grin grin grin. Being drunk in the Holy Ghost is better than being drunk in baileys grin grin grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 2:59am On May 12, 2012
Goshen360: Mehn, I told you, your ogogoro will not allow you tonight grin grin grin. Being drunk in the Holy Ghost is better than being drunk in baileys grin grin grin
my puter conked out for a lil minute there. dunno what the deal is. so you figure out the interpretation yet Goshen ? took me a minute to come up with the meaning, its taking you like an hour. come on man, lets hear your version grin
Re: Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them by buzugee(m): 3:14am On May 12, 2012
listen here Goshen all those verses you provided are totally unrelated. you know what the problem is ? you are guilty of over-interpreting the bible. you try to make something that is simple more complicated than it is. you cant interpret that verse any more than i did. anything you come up with will be you trying to massage your ego. nothing wrong in massaging your ego brother but you have to remember now, no part of the scripture is of any private interpretation. be careful not to fall into this trap

2 peter 1 vs 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Predictions For The First Quarter Of 2013 / The Good Things In The Lives Of Men / S’africa Orders Chirst Embassy Church To Stop Faith Healing Ads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.