Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,232 members, 7,953,882 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:14 AM

Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must (6137 Views)

We’ll Kill Corruption, Solve Power Problem – Osinbajo / Opinion: Has President Buhari Tackled The Electric Power Problem Silently??? / How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by chidichris(m): 9:41am On Nov 18, 2007
Afam,
in as much as i appreciate and admire you as a new person, i want to remind us here that no one saves what he does not have. energy is not available in nigeria hence saving it becomes practically impossible though it could be idealistically possible.
a nigeria with enough energy and free from corruption will have no need to advise anyone on how best to manage the energy supply. one can ask me how? using dubai as a case in hand, every flat has its meter and whatsoever your house meter has at the end of the day as bill will reflect in the office computer. their bills will come in details as in you will know why u are paying.
if there is such arrangement in nigeria whereby Mr. Obi pays five thousand in a bedroom flat while mr. Uche pays three thousand in a duplex, no prophet will be needed to advise mr. obi on how wasteful he is with energy supply.
the problem in nigeria is the bills comes with the size of the house while some smaller houses can use more energy than the big ones hence there come the need to make maximum use of the power supply since you must pay at the end of the day.
if it will ever be pay as u use, the man with 10 acs, 5 washing machines etc will always know what to expect from NEPA at the end of the month.

to you my best friend(afam),
i want to assume that our joint efforts and prayers over you is yielding some positive results and as you can see, we are recording more praises than insults so pls you can also help us by avoiding the use of such address as "that boy". because old things have passed away and we are all happy to have u on the side of realities. to other positive nairaland members, we must encourage each other as we work to reform owner of this id"mamajama".

at least we all are enjoying the fruits of our labour in afam as he is now out to look into areas of our lives that will progress nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Afam(m): 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2007
I will advice you to focus on the issues and leave Afam alone.

I am not here to make friends nor to seek praises otherwise I will be busy on friendster.com or myspace.com, I discuss anything I want to discuss and in doing so I have utmost respect for facts.

I am not a blind supporter of anyone or any nation like some of you here who will be ready to wage a war if any wrong doing by US or Israel is pointed out.

So, stop advising me and instead take advantage of the advice because you are one of those people that easily abuse others when they disagree with you.

On the topic, you stop stop making ridiculous statements like "Nigeria does not have energy or power" or that "there is nothing to conserve" because you are very very wrong and such comments are indeed misleading to anyone that is not aware of the reality on ground.

It is this type of misinformation that caused a lot of bad blood on issues concerning Muslims, Christians, Israel, Palestine, US, Arab etc so stick to facts and have respect for truth. That is the only way discussions can be meaningful and useful.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Iman3(m): 3:32pm On Nov 18, 2007
Afam:

I am not a blind supporter of anyone or any nation like some of you here who will be ready to wage a war if any wrong doing by US or Israel is pointed out.

If Afam no mention Israel and the US,im never start to contribute grin
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 18, 2007
Afam:

On the topic, you stop stop making ridiculous statements like "Nigeria does not have energy or power" or that "there is nothing to conserve" because you are very very wrong and such comments are indeed misleading to anyone that is not aware of the reality on ground.

One of the "realities on ground" is that Yar Adua had threatened at some point to declare an emergency in the energy sector.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Purist(m): 4:46pm On Nov 18, 2007
@mrpataki

mrpataki:

Please don't always try to be economical with the truth, when it is obvious that there is no energy conservation in Nigeria, as PHCN effectively conserves all the energy! How in the world will be a N5000 be just sufficient for a month shocked This is ridiculous.

Now I understand why Afam often addresses you the way he does.  If this is how I addressed the person that said electricity on the prepaid meter costs N2000 per day, I don't think this thread will still be as orderly as it is.

You do not live in my house, you do not know the circumstances surrounding energy supply and conservation in my house and you're so sure that I am being "economical with the truth"?

Anyway, it's the truth.  Sometimes, the card lasts for more than a month.  Rather than implicitly label me a liar, you should have made your curiousity known in a diplomatic manner.  The reason why a N5000 card lasts for a month is due to the fact that most times, we run on generator since we only have light for a few hours per day, and the reason I said that it is even this expensive is because we use some high energy consuming appliances, many 60watt bulbs, and we usually leave the security lights on throughout the night, if there is light.

By the way, who was talking about energy conservation in Nigeria?  We all know that there is none, which is why this topic was created in first place, so why are you reiterating the obvious?  And even considering the fact that you just sarcastically admitted that PHCN effectively conserves the energy for us, why then do you find it difficult to believe that a N5000 card can last for a month or more?
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Purist(m): 5:42pm On Nov 18, 2007
Before someone else comes analyzing my post, allow me to clarify certain issues.

1. My post focuses on energy conservation in the household, not the country in general.

2. It also focuses on energy conservation based on the use of a prepaid meter, not on the general consumption of energy.

Of course if we were to be having light 24/7, we would definitely be spending about N30,000 - N50,000 or even more monthly on electricity alone.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by texazzpete(m): 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2007
This has nothing at all to do with the topic under discussion, i guess.
But someone once told me

"Up to 10% of the fuel available in Nigeria is burnt off in hold ups. if steps were taken to ameliorate areas of traffic bottlenecks, we'd see less fuel consumption and more savings for the average motorist"

Even though solving such problems is easier said than done, i feel that finding avenues to conserve energy/resources will at least ameliorate our energy situation in Nigeria.

me, i've long switched to energy conserving bulbs. not because of NEPA bills (the bastards just give me a default bill of between 5 - 7k monthly even with a truly pathetic supply) but to ease off the stress on my Generator cheesy
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Afam(m): 11:12pm On Nov 18, 2007
I-man:

If Afam no mention Israel and the US,im never start to contribute grin

And if you don't see Israel and the US you never contribute.

davidylan:

One of the "realities on ground" is that Yar Adua had threatened at some point to declare an emergency in the energy sector.

Guy, it is obvious that you are in unfamiliar terrain - it seems you lose your voice anytime threads are not laden with insults and abuses.

Sometimes it is better not to contribute than to contribute nonsense. Take some time out and try to find out the relevance of your post above.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by naijaking1: 12:43am On Nov 19, 2007
Let's try to stay focused on Nigeria's power problems.

I know it may be difficult for some folks, but we can at least try.

Topic is neither US nor Israel, but power generation, distribution, and conservation in Nigeria.

If you can't survive without hauling insults at folks here in nairaland, maybe you should open a different topic for people to abuse and be abused.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 19, 2007
Afam:

Guy, it is obvious that you are in unfamiliar terrain - it seems you lose your voice anytime threads are not laden with insults and abuses.

Sometimes it is better not to contribute than to contribute nonsense. Take some time out and try to find out the relevance of your post above.

Sometimes your responses reinforce my view that you have chronic psychology problems, that you have an acute shortage of self esteem and take out your frustration on just about anything that threatens to reveal the fact that in terms of intelligence, what you have is really nothing but vacous space.

State of Emergency in energy sector

"The power and energy sector is vital in any economy and to declare an emergency, we must have a road map; when the road map has been mapped, then we will declare an emergency.

"The emergency will give power to the President to act during the time the emergency has been declared; the emergency also means there will be enough and sufficient funding to address the problems in the sector, when all this is put in place, then, an emergency will be declared."

Is it not one of the FACTS ON GROUND that Yar Adua is seriously thinking of declaring a state of emergency in the power and energy sector?

why are you so belligerent, uncouth in your manner of approach, resistant to the truth, and close minded?
You claim that Nigerians do not know how to conserve electricity and i ask . . . WHERE IS THE E,ECTRICITY TO CONSERVE? Do Nigerians need to be told to conserve fuel? Are Nigerians not more than capable of conserving their generators?

I have once mentioned, your ego will be your very downfall very soon. Enjoy!
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by wendymanda: 2:20am On Nov 19, 2007
i have always wondered if the people in power in Nigeria will ever strongly look into solar energy. I mean we have enough sun that will solar energy might help us. I mean the Chineese have done it where the government pays half for anyone that is interested in putting up a dolar panel. I am in no means comparing China and Nigeria, though we are both "Third World Countries".
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by naijaking1: 7:10am On Nov 19, 2007
China, a 3rd World country?
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Afam(m): 9:08am On Nov 19, 2007
@davidylan,

You problem is a comprehension limited one and there is nothing anyone can do to help you. You can only help yourself if you so desire.

Don't worry about my ego, it is my problem, face and handle yours because you are a complete disappointment in terms of your thought process and level of reasoning. So, don't worry about others as you have a mountain of basic problems you need to overcome.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 19, 2007
Afam:

@davidylan,

You problem is a comprehension limited one and there is nothing anyone can do to help you. You can only help yourself if you so desire.

Don't worry about my ego, it is my problem, face and handle yours because you are a complete disappointment in terms of your thought process and level of reasoning. So, don't worry about others as you have a mountain of basic problems you need to overcome.

same ol same ol. No matter how hard you try a pig will always return to his vomit. Afam and adhominems are inseparable.
It is not surprising that the fangs come out just when he has been proven to be ignorant of the things he screams himself hoarse about.
Try as you may, you can only assist a dimwit, you cant change him!
Carry go little man.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Frankies(m): 4:31pm On Nov 19, 2007
Purist:

Before someone else comes analyzing my post, allow me to clarify certain issues.

1. My post focuses on energy conservation in the household, not the country in general.

2. It also focuses on energy conservation based on the use of a prepaid meter, not on the general consumption of energy.

Of course if we were to be having light 24/7, we would definitely be spending about N30,000 - N50,000 or even more monthly on electricity alone.

The card meter seems to be much more reasonable than the conventional meter. Travelled abroad with my family for almost two months only to come back and met a bill of more than 10,000 naira.when everything was switched off. Then from where came the bill?

Nigeria has a long way to go interms of power and its management and the resultant conservation
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by somze(f): 6:43pm On Nov 19, 2007
Purist and Afam

I do not know what kind of appliances you use in your offices. That may be where the misunderstanding is from.

In a house with fridge, freezer, washing machine, water heaters, ACs, electronic kettles etc, see how much you can save in a day. I assure you N2000 will be spent in a day.

Its too expensive period, but again we dont use as much appliances anymore, instead we put on generator for washing and stuff. Still its expensive.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Afam(m): 7:09pm On Nov 19, 2007
somze:

Purist and Afam

I do not know what kind of appliances you use in your offices. That may be where the misunderstanding is from.

In a house with fridge, freezer, washing machine, water heaters, ACs, electronic kettles etc, see how much you can save in a day. I assure you N2000 will be spent in a day.

Its too expensive period, but again we don't use as much appliances anymore, instead we put on generator for washing and stuff. Still its expensive.

That is the whole essence of energy conservation, in the article I stated that almost all the appliances out there have energy efficient alternatives especially those based on energy saving technology. From microprocessors to plain DSP based machines the story is the same, energy provisioning and conversion are done more efficiently.

There are energy efficient ACs, I have seen freezers with power ratings at just 70W just as I have seen freezers with up to 1000W.

You failed to mention bulbs, even though single bulbs may just be 60W see what they come up to when you have about 10, 600W!!!

If someone should pay N2,000.00 a day even when power supply is not steady what will happen when you have steady power supply?

N2,000.00 a day comes to about N60,000.00 a month and about N720,000.00 A year.

With less that N5M you can setup a hybrid system (solar and wind turbine) that will make you forget PHCN at least for 10 years.

Again, using electricity for everything is not cost effective, you have cooking gas, regular stove etc that could reduce your overall cost of energy in your home.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by denex: 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2007
Don't worry about energy conservation. By the time pre-paid meters have been installed all over the country and PHCN starts charging the standard N10 or N12 per kiloWATT hour, nobody will need to advice Nigerians to conserve energy.

I'm actually speaking from personal experience.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by Seun(m): 7:25pm On Nov 19, 2007
I agree, but I think even 12 naira per kw/hr is rather low. Just privatise this thing, please. We need 24x7 power.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by denex: 7:42pm On Nov 19, 2007
N12 is not too low O! That's about the price in most parts of the world. If it goes above international market price, people will prefer to import than manufacture in Nigeria. Because even though power will be available, it would become too expensive.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by naijaking1: 10:26pm On Nov 19, 2007
Privatise, privatise, and privatise.

How many times do you guys want me to say it; that's the ultimate remedy.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by debosky(m): 10:33pm On Nov 19, 2007
ultimate remedy yes, but in an environment where the foreign banks are reluctant to give money ofr investments in Nigeria, where are the 'foreign investor' funds going to appear from?

Even if privatization is the Ultimate (i.e. final) solution, the government must show it is serious by aggressively investing in power plants and in improving the transmission and distribution systems as well.

When you put your money where your mouth is, then others will come in. . . sitting pretty on 50billion and expecting others to scamper in to spend money in an unstable and patently risky market is foolhardy - it won't happen.

Privatizing wont happen overnight, people have already been given rights to produce electricity, in the next couple of years we should begin to see the positive effects of this happening, in the meantime, if a meaningful difference/impact is to be felt in the short term, the investment will inevitably originate from government coffers.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by naijaking1: 10:49pm On Nov 19, 2007
@debosky

Great talk, sir. I can not agree more.

Some people in naija still don't understand the need for privitisation.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by uspry1(f): 11:15pm On Nov 19, 2007
naijaking1:

@debosky

Great talk, sir. I can not agree more.

Some people in naija still don't understand the need for privitisation.

Here is the existing Nairaland posting I already defined "What is a PRIVATIZATION?" on following link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-93724.32.html#msg1690821
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by naijaking1: 5:18am On Nov 20, 2007
Yea, I see your definition.

Very interesting we have a concurrent topic under 2 threads.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by wendymanda: 5:38am On Nov 20, 2007
China, a 3rd World country?
Yes it is mr Naijaking1. What do you think it is. I even just asked a Chinese girl right now. I don't ASS U ME things.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by naijaking1: 5:51am On Nov 20, 2007
wendymanda:

Yes it is mr Naijaking1. What do you think it is. I even just asked a Chinese girl right now. I don't ASS You ME things.

China is not a 3rd World country.

Some aspects of their life/culture/politics maybe tagged 3rd world by the West, but there is no basis to categorize China as 3rd W. country with Nigeria, Bangladesh, Peru, Thailand, etc.

Need I say more?
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by wendymanda: 6:34am On Nov 20, 2007
China is not a 3rd World country.

Some aspects of their life/culture/politics maybe tagged 3rd world by the West, but there is no basis to categorize China as 3rd W. country with Nigeria, Bangladesh, Peru, Thailand, etc.

Need I say more?

So what you are saying is that despite the fact that China considers herself 3rd world and that everyone else considers China 3rd world it is not because Nigeria is 3rd world? I don't get it, so because Hitler is a man other men should not consider themselves male? What? It is a fact that China is 3rd world, they might have more things than Nigeria but they are still 3rd World country.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by naijaking1: 6:56am On Nov 20, 2007
wendymanda:

So what you are saying is that despite the fact that China considers herself 3rd world and that everyone else considers China 3rd world it is not because Nigeria is 3rd world? I don't get it, so because Hitler is a man other men should not consider themselves male? What? It is a fact that China is 3rd world, they might have more things than Nigeria but they are still 3rd World country.

I beg make we no turn this into a 3rd World arguement- this about energy conservation in naija.

However, China calling itself 3rd world (which I doubt), "everyone else" considering China a 3rd World or your little chinese girlfriend telling you her country does not make it so.

China is not, and has never even been typically classified as a 3rd World country, even in the 1970s.

Today, China is the only country in the World to have reliably developed the technology to blast an object out of space- US technology has been marked by many problems.

China's economic strenght is projected to eclipse that of the US in no time.

China has not only matched the West in so many fields, but has actually surpassed them.

The list goes on, but to save your time and mine, so that we return to the topic of the thread,

I give you this link: http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/General/ThirdWorld_def.html

Enjoy and educate yourself.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by wendymanda: 7:10am On Nov 20, 2007
Did you read the article you sent or did you think sending it will intimidate me. In the case you didn't go back and you will see that it indeed says that China is a 3rd World country. To make it easier hit countrol +F and then type China and you will see that China is indeed a third World. Sinc eyou want to tell me that the Chineese girl that came from China 3 months ago doesn't know the ranking of her own country. Typicall mr. know it alls. Go ahead, please read your own article next before you send it so you don't look stupid. If someone asks me compared to Darfur that is wallowing in poverty I will say Nigeria is ist World country. Does that make you happy?
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by naijaking1: 7:16am On Nov 20, 2007
Do you want me to post the whole link?

You have to read it all, otherwise you wouldn't see where it said that China is not included as a 3 rd World country.
Re: Nigeria Power Problem - Why Energy Conservation Is A Must by wendymanda: 7:21am On Nov 20, 2007
Do you want me to post the whole link?

You have to read it all, otherwise you wouldn't see where it said that China is not included as a 3 rd World country.
Are you positve that it says China is not included as the 3rd World? Can I quote both you and the text on that or are you just using the part that will make your argument seem stronger. Also "FOR THE MOST PART" your source got it's source from Wikipedia sooooo reliable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Missing $20billion Dollars / Tompolo In EFCC Net, Company’s Accounts Frozen – RUBIZTECH / Nigerians In UK Calling President Muhammadu Buhari A Terrorist(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.