Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Comparing DSTV And HiTV - TV/Movies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Comparing DSTV And HiTV (37452 Views)

Poll: I will rather subscribe to:

DSTV: 71% (118 votes)
HiTV: 28% (46 votes)
This poll has ended

Did CTL/Trend TV Just Win The Lawsuit Against NCC And HiTV? / 42 Fee Channels:-say Bye Bye To Monthly Subscription On Dstv,ctl,cmtv And Hitv. / Hitv Gives Out 100,000 Free Decoders To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 06, 2008
@ayusman,

Called your line, and no response.

Kindly confirm if it's true that the ikeja station is back.

Waiting for you.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by tommyex(m): 8:02pm On Jan 06, 2008
I know Hitv will get better in the next 2 years or so,but it was just unfair to Nigerians for them to start operating when we were gettin addicted to Dstv,And again with all this support we have given you guys i hope the prices wont sky-rocket too early??
Wish you guys luck and hope next season will be better,and please try to get Champions league for the football fans next season,na beg i beg.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by senga: 9:34pm On Jan 06, 2008
Hi Guys

I am new to the forum but have been reading it since early last year, I live in England and see things differently. I do know a bit about Nigeria and have been visiting Nigeria for many years.

I wish HiTV well with their venture, people out there have to remember that these guys have invested a tonne of money to get where they are today and I commend them to be up and running, They spent almost $40 million on football and although this is a driver for the platform there are a lot of Nigerians that just want good programming apart from football and they deserve it. Just to pay for the cost of the football they will need at least 100,000 subscribers and that is not easy with football alone. DSTV have at least 150,000 subscribers and as we know that took them 10 years.

With maximum of 16 channels on DTH (the maximum channels on the one transponder they lease)will not excite Nigerians to go out and buy HiTV, outside of football. Check out DSTV when the EPL rights come up again they have deep pockets, so HiTV please get your platform together before then.

The CNN exclusivity question is irrelevant as there are better news channels and CNN are the only people to have exclusive news rights with DSTV. Even if the rights were available then CNN (or any other provider for that matter) have the right to sell to HiTV or not. Nigerian platform operators have to pay a premium (and often up front) for content, one of the only countries in the world. Why because other Nigerian platforms have failed and have cost content providers a fortune in lost revenue.

Being proudly Nigerian is great, but any DTH operating in Nigeria has to be a majority owned by Nigerians, therefore the majority of the dividends remain in Nigeria. Nigerians know what is good quality and there is no reason why they should not get it.
Why not use foreign expertise to set up the platform, then release them after say five years, when the Nigerian platform is fully trained and running profitably, seems sense to me?

I always read with interest all your comments and hope that HiTV can make the dream come true of a Nigerian DTH platform to compete with DSTV, please give them time, Rome was not built in a day.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kosovo(m): 6:48am On Jan 07, 2008
senga DStv has over 2 million subscriber base now.
what kills an investment bad advice and poor management,and Hitv isn,t far from that. they can invest all their money in soccer. who cares? me? nah
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by ayusman16(m): 11:11am On Jan 07, 2008
ilugunboy:

@ayusman,

Called your line, and no response.

Kindly confirm if it's true that the ikeja station is back.

Waiting for you.

No vex my brother. My phone was connected to my laptop (that's what i use to browse when am home) and that makes incoming calls difficult to connect.

I actually did confirm from their customer helpline but am still yet to be convinced until i confirm from their manager. The guy that installed my mytv deleted the hitv settings.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by niyi09(m): 1:26pm On Jan 07, 2008
thank God ikeja station is back and i hope hitv content and programming will improve.hitv was so boring when there was no premiership matches
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 07, 2008
niyi09:

thank God ikeja station is back
Niyi, pls are you confirming that.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by niyi09(m): 8:29am On Jan 08, 2008
i am not confirming it but i dont think there customer care can be lying
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by dre901(m): 8:31am On Jan 09, 2008
The Ikeja station is up and running. confirmed. their two packages are now okay. satellite and terrestrial packages are now operational. just installed the terrestrial package with 21 channels but it has to be on request.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by tommyex(m): 8:47am On Jan 09, 2008
Nice 1 SENGA
I wish them well too
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by niyi09(m): 9:05am On Jan 09, 2008
pls i need help on my hitv decoder.i mistakenly reset all the settings on the decoder yesterday and since then i cannot get any of the stations.my installer is not around.can anybody help with the settings?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 09, 2008
@dre

dre901:

The Ikeja station is up and running. confirmed. their two packages are now okay. satellite and terrestrial packages are now operational. just installed the terrestrial package with 21 channels but it has to be on request.

Thanks, but when you said "on request", meaning what?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by tboy81(m): 9:11am On Jan 10, 2008
@ Niyi09:

Am not very sure of the setting off my head but let me see , (BTW, i'm on the satellite package)

From Menu, go to Installation, then press the Manual Scan button.

Then make sure you input these settings:

Satellite: Eutelsat W4

Frequency: (40) 11.900 Ghz

Symbol Rate: 27.500 Ms.

Polarization: H

Network Search : ON

The symbol rate and polarisation are automatically set once you specify the (40) 11.900Ghz frequency

Then click on OK. That should do the trick

(i hope i did not miss anything out sha smiley )
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by ayusman16(m): 11:34am On Jan 10, 2008
need d settings for d terrestial platform.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by twinstaiye(m): 1:36pm On Jan 10, 2008
niyi09:

please i need help on my hitv decoder.i mistakenly reset all the settings on the decoder yesterday and since then i cannot get any of the stations.my installer is not around.can anybody help with the settings?
tboy was right, better still, if your decoder has blind scan, just click it and it will generate all the available frequencies on Eutelsat W4.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by salinco(m): 2:20pm On Jan 10, 2008
Can someone give the price of DSTV AND HiTV, I’m just joining this thread and I’ll like to understand the detail that is attached to it.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by badaru1(m): 8:05pm On Jan 10, 2008
pls can anyone assist me? Am a subscriber of hitv,recently i discover that when am watching those channels that have hi as there prefix,they will be showing scramble intermittently. What is happening hitv?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by oboha: 8:52am On Jan 11, 2008
Wii HITV broadcast the nations cup?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by niyi09(m): 9:43am On Jan 11, 2008
thanks tboy81, my decoder is now working perfectly.thanks alot
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by tboy81(m): 10:42am On Jan 11, 2008
@badaru1:
With respect to scramble problem: i actually received an SMS some days ago from hitv saying: "Do you still experience scrabmled channel on your decoder? A free software upgrade is now available. Pls contact your nearest Hitv dealer". So you can contact your dealer if they have the upgrade.

@oboha:
I also received an SMS from hitv yesterday saying: "Pls ensure your subscriptions are paid up to avoid disconnection during the Nations cup"

So i "guess" one can deduce from that SMS, that they would be showing it. A call to their customer care could however be made to be double sure.

@niyi09
No probs wink, happy viewing
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by urfriend(m): 7:22pm On Jan 11, 2008
hi,THIS IS TO INFORM U GUYS THAT HITV WILL AIR ALL 32 MATCHES OF THE 2008 NATIONS CUP LIVE.ALSO TO INFORM ALL THOSE WHO HAVE NOT UPDATED THE SUBSCRIPTION TO PLS DO SO,because FROM MONDAY MORNING,THERE SHALL BE MASS DISCONNECTION OF ALL PERSONS WHO ARE OWING HITV.
THANKS.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by ayusman16(m): 9:40pm On Jan 11, 2008
It's easy to disconnect those owing hitv but it aint easy to compensate those hitv ripped off during the Ikeja probs. It's funny the way Nigerian coy behaves when it comes with dealing with customers. angry
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by ayusman16(m): 1:33pm On Jan 13, 2008
Please kindly help with the hitv settings for terrestial.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by badaru1(m): 9:40am On Jan 15, 2008
Pls nairalanders assist, I dont know what happen almost all my hitv channels went scramble this morning. it is only the foreign stations that are working.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by const6(m): 10:38am On Jan 15, 2008
The same thing with mine too, all the Hitv Channels went scrambled, but i am not bothering myself, weekend still far grin for football matches to come, i know they will solve it before then.

Any news on Hollywood Trend that is moving to eutelsat??
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by niyi09(m): 2:44pm On Jan 15, 2008
@const6
can u explain this .is this a new channel on hitv
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by tboy81(m): 4:58pm On Jan 15, 2008
I got an SMS some hours ago from hitv apologising for the scrambled channels on their "hi channels" saying their engineers are "working on it"

So i guess lets wait and see ,

(BTW: They seem to be sending a lot of bulk sms these days , at least they're notifying customers of "challenges" these days rather than keeping quiet)
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by oboha: 5:34am On Jan 16, 2008
I paid for this months subscription on saturday and wited for about three hours in their ofice to effect it.They could not. They assured me that it would come up before 4pm for the matches. I was hungry and tired after all the altercations and left. As am typing this, my tv is still showing no acces five days after.Customer care helpline people are spasely trained and clueless.HITV is an unmitigated disaster.In other climes they would have been sued out of existance for their inneptitude. Mind youthis sort of thing happened in sept. last yr. They need help.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by dekin(m): 9:19am On Jan 16, 2008
my brother outside lagos wanted 2 buy satelite tv and he wanted my advice since i ve been using hitv 4 d past 6 months i simply told him to go 4 dstv family. why? cos efficiency, cheaper monthly payment, more channels (and entertaining ones too) were the criteria i used in basing my judgement. Lets not be decieved without d weekly primeirship matches wld any of us realy choose hitv over dstv family?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by const6(m): 10:39am On Jan 16, 2008
@niyi09
can u explain this .is this a new channel on hitv

I found out in the other thread about Free to Air TV that Trend Nollywood is moving from NSS907 to Eutelsat W4 the same satellite with DSTV and HITV.

Why is this so? You may ask. Anyway, it has been deduced that since most peopple have DSTV and some other people HITV sha, it will be better for them to reposition themselves (i.e. Trend TV) in the market by first coming out free withTrend Hollywood and 13 other channels for people to see their strength, then start charging fees later.

It will be available from end of January, their Frequency and Symbol rates are: 11747 and 27500 respectively.

Abeg pray make e happen o.

@Experts.

I am using the new HITV Decoder (their customised), and i want to subscribe to DSTV Family (i have their smartcard), but i can only get 11 channels of DSTV which include nigeria local stations and SS3 and QQRTV. apart from these eleven channels, my decoder is not showing the rest at all (not scrambled oo). They are not even in the channel list and i want to subscribe because of the entertainment of DSTV, is there anybody that can help on what i can do for these channels to show.

Thanks, waiting for that response
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by ayusman16(m): 12:28pm On Jan 16, 2008
Can anybody help me with the terrestial settings of hitv. Kindly post here. I know one can count on u guys.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by senga: 1:29pm On Jan 16, 2008
@Experts.

I am using the new HITV Decoder (their customised), and i want to subscribe to DSTV Family (i have their smartcard), but i can only get 11 channels of DSTV which include nigeria local stations and SS3 and QQRTV. apart from these eleven channels, my decoder is not showing the rest at all (not scrambled oo). They are not even in the channel list and i want to subscribe because of the entertainment of DSTV, is there anybody that can help on what i can do for these channels to show.

Thanks, waiting for that response

Hi Guys
You will not be able to watch DSTV and HITV on the same box, even though they are on Eutelsat W4, they use different Conditional Access systems HITV use Conax encryption while DSTV use Irdeto. All you will be able to see are their unscrambled channels.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

BBNaija: Khafi Replaces Gedoni With A Teddy Bear (Photo) / Gruesome Zombie Scenes By Special Effects Artist. Viewers Discretion Adviced / BBNaija: "Don’t Call Me Boo At Night And Friend In The Day" - Miracle Tells Nina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.