Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,272 members, 7,811,802 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' (37952 Views)

Anambra University Renamed After Ojukwu / I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe / Moshood Abiola Polytechnic Applicants For 2012/2013 .check In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Sciencs(m): 11:43am On May 29, 2012
Wtf...even despite legendary "Baba-fela" naming him "ITT"??!!!...wat a cruel joke frm uncle-jona. I strongly advise dt all dignified student of unilag shud embark on a peaceful protest 2 revoke ds incredible new-name....cos ds is rather quite disturbing.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ollyruffy: 11:45am On May 29, 2012
I can also see many kids on this thread. You better go back to your studies except your parents are among the thiefing polithiefcians.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 11:51am On May 29, 2012
Nickydrake: I just dey happy for the guys who supply official stationery and do other printing jobs on university property...if you know what i mean. grin grin
D guy don hammer seriously, na everything dem go change, what is making people to be angry is what will turn some1 to millionaire.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 11:56am On May 29, 2012
brabus: University of Leeds
University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh
University of Kent
University of Glasgow
University of Liverpool
University of Sheffield
University of Sussex
University of Southampton
University of Exeter
University of Nottingham
University of Bath
University of York
University of Ibadan
Moshood Abiola University
Obafemi Awolowo University
Evans Enwerem University
Abraham Adesanya University

Can't you see the sharp contrast? All the universities above are the pride of their cities and they strive to live up to the good names.

I cannot imagine Cameron changing any of the above names without due consultations. As far as in me lies, there are better ways to immortalize the dead.

If GEJ truly accept Abiola as a National HERO, he should rename 'Eagle Square' after him and not just a south-west abracadabra.

So OAU is a not a pride of Nigeria ? Are you this dumb ?

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by olajide8(m): 11:57am On May 29, 2012
What's the issue the swag in the name or quality of output university of harvard or is it harvard university is one of the best in the world named after harvard for building structures in the school as a philanthropist isn't it the Rector that are preventing schools (Polytechnics) from issuing degrees, can you fault the quality of what comes out from their"though some are questionable" just like universities, just because, they don't want to be directors or provosts of universities, so what's the issue isn't the man worth it? He single handed, won the elections around the country in 1993, and also died in incarceration, most of those fighting or protesting weren't even born then, I was part all students then were part, thou I left, maiyegun was part malcom X (fabiyi) and it was because of June 12, most of those protesting now, don't even merit admission, into the above school so why fight? When you are supposed to protest against corruption, NAH name of school! Rubbish bunch of spoilt small kids, if you say its because he is trying to bribe south westerners, that is a case other then and we know how to threat fraudulent person(s)
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by deenee: 11:57am On May 29, 2012
The comments on this thread till now indicate that a lot of our students and hitherto future leaders are far worse off than Mr President himself.

First and foremost it is wrong to compare UNILAG now known as MAUNI with the likes of Harvard and Yale. The former is a federal institution funded by the government whilst the latter is privately held. The former is in my own basking in the euphoria of their past glory whilst the latter is Ivy league. The former depends on government funding to carry out research and the last time I checked, not much has been done in that aspect in recent times whilst the latter has an endowment fund equal to the balance sheet size of some emerging economies hence they have the liberty and free will to carry out scholarly research.

The decision to rename UNILAG is not one done in isolation. The NASS must have deliberated on it before it was passed into a law for the executive to implement.

I am not going to discuss along the lines of whether this decision is morally justifiable or not as there is already a lot of contention on this matter but I have a very dim opinion of the response and feedback thus far. It clearly shows that what we need is not a name change but a complete overhaul of the entire educational system as it is obvious that the by products churned out daily fall below standard!

God bless Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Ayoolu12: 11:57am On May 29, 2012
ActiveMan: JONATHAN DECISION ARE ALWAYS IN THE WRONG DIRECTION...

WHY TAKE THE GLORY OF UNILAG?

WHO MKO?
WHAT IMPACT AS HE MAKE TO NIGERIA?
DO NOT COMPARE AWOLOWO TO MKO

GEJ DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT?

1. GIVE US GOOD ROAD (NAME THOSE ROAD ANYTHING YOU LIKE)
2. GIVE US ELECTRICITY (NAME THE COMPANY THE NAME YOU LIKE)
3. WE NEED FOOD (NOT GEJ BISCUIT (WE ARE NOT YOUR BABY))
4. PROVIDE JOB OPPORTUNITY (NAME THE COMPANIES ANY NAME TOO WE DO NOT CARE)
5. EDUCATION IS ALSO NECESSARY(NOT THAT FOOLISH SCHOOLS YOU JUST START IN THE NORTH)
[/size][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size]

THIS ARE THE BASIC THING NIGERIANS WANTS

You're either very young, or not very well educated. If you don't know who MKO is, or what he has contributed to the Yoruba race and Nigeria at large, then that's your problem.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by meforkene(m): 11:58am On May 29, 2012
Abiola abiola abiola...wtf.what did this guy do for his ppl or nigeria?..popularity via sympathy..shame on UNILAG yoruba professors..cowards!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by seenoevil1: 11:58am On May 29, 2012
ollyruffy: I can also see many kids on this thread. [size=15pt]You better go back to your studies except your parents are among the thiefing polithiefcians[/size].

You might need some education too my good friend ! Its Thieving not Thiefing . Anyway someone i know finished with first class upper in MAUL (what used to be Unilag ) and after failing to secure a job here in Nigeria he traveled abroad and well to cut the story short he now works as a Janitor and a factory operator part time . SO changing the names of the educational institutions in Nigeria is not the problem rather a TOTAL overhaul of the educational system in Nigeria is what we need . [size=15pt]As far as i am concerned the whole MAUL / UNILAG thing only means one thing : Different Toilet same Shoiŧ[/size]
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by NorthSharp(m): 12:00pm On May 29, 2012
Desola:

The name 'UNILAG' was fine just as it was, it was synonymous with class and panache but renaming it MAU just takes away the prestige in my opinion. I hate this jonasatan even more now. Gosh!

You are absolutely right!

It is for the same reason (i.e good reputation, nurtured on a name that is widely considered prestigious) that we see the Igbos always vehemently resisting any suggestion that the University of Nigeria, Nsukka be re-named after an individual Igbo personality, no matter how much they revere that personality!

Zik and Ojukwu can be described as the two most prominent Igbo personalities in the history of modern Nigeria, yet no FG could dare rename the 'University of Nigeria' after either of them, neither at their deaths nor subsequently as in this case!

In fact, we all have come across many Igbos trying to interpret any idea of renaming the UNN after ANYBODY (including Ujukwu) as being a 'conspiracy' (by the usual suspects) to deny the Igbos the prestige of having the only university in Nigeria that bears that unique name: 'University of Nigeria'.

To a lesser extent, the name 'University of Lagos' enjoys similar prestige of being the only university that is so uniquely described as the university of Lagos; so apart from it's excellent academic reputation, the university also enjoys being so uniquely associated with the most important, most popular, most vibrant city in our country - Lagos.!

So the questions that may come to mind are:

1. If the GEJ govt could not dare rename the UNN after even the GREATEST IGBO personality (Ujukwu) AT HIS DEATH RECENTLY; with all the apparently genuine respect and admiration president GEJ personally has for the late Ikemba as witnessed at the latter's funeral; and with all the brotherly and neighbourly goodwill that apparently exist between GEJ and the Igbos, then how come GEJ found it so imperative at this time to rename UNILAG after MKO Abiola?

2. Why would GEJ want to immortalize the name of the late MKO Abiola with the re-naming of one of the 5 first generation universities in Nigeria after him, yet he could not think of according the same respect and privilege to the late Ikemba, for whom he apparently has even much more respect?

3. Did the FG make proper consultations, with all the relevant stake-holders, before taking this step? How widely did they consult, if at all they did?

4. Could there be some people somewhere, not necessarily GEJ himself, who are not comfortable that UNILAG was the only university that is described as 'University of Lagos', therefore they want to see it so re-named, may just after anybody, or anything, as long as their ill-motivated goal is achieved?

I have immense respect for the late MKO Abiola, mainly for his well-known, nationally spread philanthropic work and for the prominent role he played, and the ultimate sacrifice he made, in ending military dictatorship in the country; yet as an alumnus of UNILAG, I do not support renaming it after him, for the same reason that the Igbos would resist any idea of renaming the UNN after anybody, no matter how much they respect that person!

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ConcernMan: 12:03pm On May 29, 2012
I think a clue should be taken from what happened to Imo State University when the university was changed to Evan Enwerem University. The university community rebelled at the imposotion by the the then infamous Ohakim. Rochas came and reason prevailed. The name was restored. Unilag is too big to be used to play this kind of dirty politics. Already there is Moshood Abiola Polythenic. Why change the name of this precious institution. WHY!!!!! The answer is not far fetched: 2015.

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by TheShopKeeper(m): 12:06pm On May 29, 2012
Remii: On a lighter mood, No more Unilag babes, they are now Abiola babes. grin grin grin grin

Yes o...na Abiola babes we go dey call the babes now...
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:07pm On May 29, 2012
NorthSharp:

It is for the same reason (i.e good reputation, nurtured on a name that is widely considered prestigious) that we see the Igbos always vehemently resisting any suggestion that the University of Nigeria, Nsukka be re-named after an individual Igbo personality, no matter how much they revere that personality!

Zik and Ojukwu can be described as the two most prominent Igbo personalities in the history of modern Nigeria, yet no FG could dare rename the 'University of Nigeria' after either of them, neither at their deaths nor subsequently as in this case!

In fact, we all have come across many Igbos trying to interpret any idea of renaming the UNN after ANYBODY (including Ujukwu) as being a conspiracy (by the usual suspects) to deny the Igbos the prestige of having the only university in Nigeria that bears that unique name: 'University of Nigeria'.

To a lesser extent, the name 'University of Lagos' enjoys similar prestige of being the only university that is so uniquely described as the university of Lagos; so apart from it's excellent academic reputation, the university also enjoys being so uniquely associated with the most important, most popular, most vibrant city in our country - Lagos.!

So the questions that may come to mind are:

1. If the GEJ govt could not dare rename the UNN after even the GREATEST IGBO personality (Ujukwu) AT HIS DEATH RECENTLY; with all the apparently genuine respect and sympathy president GEJ personally has for the late Ikemba as witnessed at the latter's funeral; and with all the brotherly and neighbourly goodwill that apparently exist between GEJ and the Igbos, then how come GEJ found it so imperative at this time to rename UNILAG after MKO Abiola?

2. Why would GEJ want to immortalize the name of the late MKO Abiola with the re-naming of one of the 5 first generation universities in Nigeria, yet he could not think of according the same prestige to the late Ikemba, for whom he apparently has even much more respect?

3. Did the FG make proper consultations, with all the relevant stake-holders, before taking this step? How widely were such consultations, if any?

4. Could there be some people somewhere, not necessarily GEJ himself, who are not comfortable that UNILAG was the only university that is described as 'University of Lagos', therefore they want to see it so re-named. may just after anybody, or anything as long as their ill-motivated goal is achieved?

I have immense respect for the late MKO Abiola, mainly for his philanthropic works and for the prominent role he played, and the ultimate sacrifice he made, in ending military dictatorship in the country; yet as an alumnus of UNILAG, I do not support renaming it after him, for the same reason that the Igbos would resist any idea of renaming the UNN after anybody, no matter how much they respect that person!

Why do you guy s like tribalizing every issue for fu-ck sake ? If you feel oju-iku deserves a school named after him,why not beg jonathan to do that !
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by seenoevil1: 12:09pm On May 29, 2012
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 29, 2012
All these noise for some glorified secondary school and make-shift brothel called university?

Anyway, the school belongs to the federal government and they can rename it as much as they want. There is nothing anybody can do about it.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by gossips(f): 12:10pm On May 29, 2012
Lol!!!!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ceedenis: 12:12pm On May 29, 2012
sometimes i wonder how we think guess if it wher fasola dat renamed dis mau or wateva no noise wuld ve come out. Dont nigerians go nd gv dollars at ghana to attend kwame university so wats wrng wit d rename in america u see lincoln uni etc wat has education got to do wit posh names etc
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:12pm On May 29, 2012
Bandit C.:
All these noise for some glorified secondary school and make-shift brothel called university?

Anyway, the school belongs to the federal government and they can rename it as much as they want. There is nothing anybody can do about it.

The school authority should just close the school and send all of them to their houses !
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Orikinla(m): 12:13pm On May 29, 2012
GEJ and his cabal know that the masses prefer JUNE 12 AS THE REAL DEMOCRACY DAY IN MEMORIAL TRIBUTE TO MAKO ABIOLA. So, to hijack the mandate of June 12, they met and looked for what to do and the fools decided to rename University of Lagos to Moshood Abiola University on their own May 29 Democracy Day masterminded by OBJ, their Al Capone.

When fools are in power
It will be disaster.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by NorthSharp(m): 12:14pm On May 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Why do you guy s like tribalizing every issue for fu-ck sake ? If you feel oju-iku deserves a school named after him,why not beg jonathan to do that !

You just responded to my post obviously without reading it; if you felt you needed to respond to it, you ought to have read and UNDERSTOOD it before replying to it apparently impulsively.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ceedenis: 12:15pm On May 29, 2012
Bandit C.:

Thanks love dis it can be called anytn even oduduwa university afterall its a den of ....... Well it stay
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ceedenis: 12:17pm On May 29, 2012
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Orikinla(m): 12:18pm On May 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

So OAU is a not a pride of Nigeria ? Are you this dumb ?

Please, all aggrieved students of UNILAG who don't want to be stampeded by GEJ like zombies, come over to the UNIVERSITY OF ORIKINLA (UNIORI). grin
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 29, 2012
ceedenis: sometimes i wonder how we think guess if it wher fasola dat renamed dis mau or wateva no noise wuld ve come out. Dont nigerians go nd gv dollars at ghana to attend kwame university so wats wrng wit d rename in america u see lincoln uni etc wat has education got to do wit posh names etc

Alexandria university is an ancient school in egypt named after Alexandria but some are acting here as if the best schools are those named after a state or council ! Smh
NorthSharp:

You just responded to my post obviously without reading it; if you felt you needed to respond to it, you ought to have read and UNDERSTOOD it before replying to it apparently impulsively.

From the bolded crap in your post about oju-iku and Zik,nothing from you need to convince me of your motive.This is about eulogizing/immortalizing Abiola not oju-iku or Zik !
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Jasiel(f): 12:20pm On May 29, 2012
My head is banging... Students are protesting seriously here on campus...this kind of situation is potentially dangerous…there's noise and screaming everywhere and these soldier men with their guns look trigger happy, like its the first time they might actually get to fire shots at real people...SMH
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Tedyk(m): 12:20pm On May 29, 2012
Mr President s a nut,i dont think he as anytin upstairs
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 29, 2012
Jasiel:
My head is banging... Students are protesting seriously here on campus...this kind of situation is potentially dangerous…there's noise and screaming everywhere and these soldier men with their guns look trigger happy, like its the first time they might actually get to fire shots at real people...SMH
Orikinla:

Please, all aggrieved students of UNILAG who don't want to be stampeded by GEJ like zombies, come over to the UNIVERSITY OF ORIKINLA (UNIORI). grin

They have options of changing schools or rejecting their certificates inscribed Moshood Abiola university,All these noises/hooliganism wont change anything ! cool
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Quazosky(m): 12:25pm On May 29, 2012
This man without shoe has dine it again! Why Unilag? He is just playing to gallery, why not renovate national stadium and name it after him or the so called national stadium in Abuja. This man is sick upstairs.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ProAnti: 12:31pm On May 29, 2012
University of Maiduguiri - Abu Qaqa University (AQU) or Boko Haram University
University of Port Harcourt- Patience Jonathan University (PJU) or Saro Wiwa University
University of Calabar- Bedmatics training Institute or Margaret Ekpo University
University of Nigeria Nsukka- Odumegwu Ojukwu University or Osikwanku University of Trade
University of Benin- Patrick Obahiagbon University of Grammar (POUG) or Michael Enahoro University

New Names, Fresh Air.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by poj(m): 12:32pm On May 29, 2012
@ ejine abiola was neva a semi illiterate, for he schooled in scotland and he ws an accntnt. I guess u r in ur teen age or bad student of history. Learn to research b4 u comment
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:34pm On May 29, 2012
omenziate: Them go reject ma guys tire for embassy. Hope dem don regonize d skul for Canada, UK and US. Thank God for ma Granny dat saw dis vision 8yrs ago, na she tell me to go OAU. All moshiidites should take heart. God go catch UI and Uniben next year, alao akala university and patrick obahiagbon uni. Insha allah

Thunder fire your mouth
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ifeci: 12:34pm On May 29, 2012
Who dey advise this una president sef, does it mean that this man can never do something applause-able, only controversies. taking away the glory of unilag all for the selfish interest of trying to buy the yorubas over. smh!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

ASUU Postpones Meeting Over Iyayi's Death / The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates / Is There A Course You Will Advise A Jambite Not To Study?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.