Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,030 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' (37956 Views)

Anambra University Renamed After Ojukwu / I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe / Moshood Abiola Polytechnic Applicants For 2012/2013 .check In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Ishilove: 12:37pm On May 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

You are now Abiola babe ! cheesy
Na lie o. My certificate says University of Lagos,so I am a graduate of UNILAG and my CV will continue to bear same
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by marjo: 12:39pm On May 29, 2012
I only read pages 1,2 &10 and I so agree with @northsharp. Being an alumnus myself I think the name doesn't sit well besides so many things eg streets, buildings, poly have been named after the guy. If LASU was not named after him, why LAG. This in my opinion is a cheap meaningless political ploy. I hope it gets overturned in d near future. On a lighter note - contracts galore for the printers, web designers et al. Up Jona - u never cease to dissapoint me.Shior
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by youngmonie: 12:41pm On May 29, 2012
cmmon dis is so wrong in many ways.....dats university has carved a niche for itself as UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS!!! and now changing it to MAU!!!!..........soso wrong.......they could have changed OSU or some other university
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 29, 2012
Ishilove:
Na lie o. My certificate says University of Lagos,so I am a graduate of UNILAG and my CV will continue to bear same

But your alma mater is now Abiola university ? Do you know that most people dont know that OAU is a federal university and that it use to be university of ile ife simply because OAU has taken over ? Sooner or later,people will forget about this unilag frenzy and get real with the new nomenclature. grin
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 12:43pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci: Who dey advise this una president sef, does it mean that this man can never do something applause-able, only controversies. taking away the glory of unilag all for the selfish interest of trying to buy the yorubas over. smh!
I am stil yet to grasp d 'real' glory of unilag.If there is really a 'glory',hw will the new name detract from it?All dis talk about swag is beginning to get vry irritating,as if dats wat will give u a job at d end of d day.I pray motor go jam one of the yeye protesting students so dem go rest. Na wetin sef?
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by chrisosi: 12:43pm On May 29, 2012
why cant this man leave lagos for us? always flying in and out of lagos looking for what only him knows. lets see where this change of name will lead to cos i know lagosian will fight this madness
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:44pm On May 29, 2012
many unilag students, sorry maululites, will be so depressed because of this decision. It will lower their morale. All those doin gra gra gra before will now be gentle. Many will even deny being in maul because if anyone of them should talk of their school, one small boy will just shout them down, saying u are malulites. Aha ,this is not good at all.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Chinom(m): 12:44pm On May 29, 2012
Now, they've made the name of the University sound like MKO himself. I could never understand him when he speaks. I mean MKO was probabaly educated but he mumbled when he spoke.If he had succeeded in being the president, he would have been our own "George Bush". He was so incoherent in his speaches. He does not deserve an institution of higher learning named after him.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by WINFORTH: 12:44pm On May 29, 2012
Jokes of the Day:

Well...Unilag babes oops ...sorry Moshudi babes will be cheaper to carry and maintain now..thanks to Uncle jona that murdered their SWAGZ !!!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:48pm On May 29, 2012
see*noevil:

You might need some education too my good friend ! Its Thieving not Thiefing . Anyway someone i know finished with first class upper in MAUL (what used to be Unilag ) [/b][/size][/color]

In a haste to castigate another you committed a worse blunder , well maybe MAUL has a new grading system and has added First class upper to their class of degree
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 12:50pm On May 29, 2012
apocalypse:

In a haste to castigate another you committed a worse blunder , well maybe MAUL has a new grading system and has added First class upper to their class of degree
no mind d first class upper upper olodo.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 29, 2012
fluxbush: I am stil yet to grasp d 'real' glory of unilag.If there is really a 'glory',hw will the new name detract from it?All dis talk about swag is beginning to get vry irritating,as if dats wat will give u a job at d end of d day.I pray motor go jam one of the yeye protesting students so dem go rest. Na wetin sef?

Now you are talking like a good girl ! grin cheesy
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by olajide8(m): 12:52pm On May 29, 2012
deenee: The comments on this thread till now indicate that a lot of our students and hitherto future leaders are far worse off than Mr President himself.

First and foremost it is wrong to compare UNILAG now known as MAUNI with the likes of Harvard and Yale. The former is a federal institution funded by the government whilst the latter is privately held. The former is in my own basking in the euphoria of their past glory whilst the latter is Ivy league. The former depends on government funding to carry out research and the last time I checked, not much has been done in that aspect in recent times whilst the latter has an endowment fund equal to the balance sheet size of some emerging economies hence they have the liberty and free will to carry out scholarly research.

The decision to rename UNILAG is not one done in isolation. The NASS must have deliberated on it before it was passed into a law for the executive to implement.

I am not going to discuss along the lines of whether this decision is morally justifiable or not as there is already a lot of contention on this matter but I have a very dim opinion of the response and feedback thus far. It clearly shows that what we need is not a name change but a complete overhaul of the entire educational system as it is obvious that the by products churned out daily fall below standard!

God bless Nigeria!
^ see whether privately or publicly funded, they are still universities and what comes out of them is what matters(quality of graduates), without talking I still insist as V. P for africa on the board of world bank he fought for reparation for Japan, and so many other countries look at Japan today, the mistake he made was him using it as part of his campaign agenda and that was why the U.S abandoned him during abacha's era, he made so many people the likes of Dokpesi, Dele momodu etc, they are endless funded the building of college of education, ijaniki, Lasu, the lists are endless, employed thousands and everyday gave people money to feed, those he couldn't help so much he employed their children, ran scholarships for so many contributed to the building of the same multipurpose hall in MAU and the sports centre of university of lagos, where his team use to train abiola babes, brought in volkswagen assembly line, paid students who met him one on one, gave to the less privileged was never proud, he spoke hausa and igbo fluently, and was given chieftency titles all over nigeria, not because, he was stupendously rich, (richest man in africa) but because, some of the children protesting their parents indirectly are benefiting as a result of his works, AIT employed some, channels employed some, the list is endless late sonny okosun, said it that he was the single largest employer of labour after the federal government then, look at the amount of people he paid their hospital bills, in fact if they named abuja after him his worth it, I am a critic but amongst everything this govt., have or has done, this is the only one that makes a bit of sense to me.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 29, 2012
apocalypse:

You dey crase o cheesy grin Lmao @ first class upper. . .NLers una too much ! Thiefin used to be an internet slang but I'm surprised the guy tried to correct you. Lol
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ifeci: 12:56pm On May 29, 2012
I am stil yet to grasp d 'real' glory of unilag.If there is really a 'glory',hw will the new name detract from it?All dis talk about swag is beginning to get vry irritating,as if dats wat will give u a job at d end of d day.I pray motor go jam one of the yeye protesting students so dem go rest. Na wetin sef?

dat u ur prayer no go work, and be careful the kind of you pray for others because you will surely get thesame in your life, not a curse though but a universal law.b4 we tlk abt glory and you getting irritated, which school u from graduate?
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Jamesqu(m): 12:56pm On May 29, 2012
Office of the President
Internal Memorandum
Re: University Name Change

Sir, below is the list of changes we are recommending for October 1st
1. University Of Port-Harcourt - Ken Saro Wiwa University
2. University of Ilorin - Sola Saraki University
3. University of Calabar - Edwin Clarke University (Kinda like this one...tooosh name)
4. University of Benin - Chuba Okadigbo University
5. University of Nigeria - Odumegwu Ojukwu Universty
6. University of Maiduguri - Abu Qaqa University
7. Univeristy of Jos - Umar Musa Yar'adua University
8. University of Abuja - Sunday Bada University
9. University of Ibadan - Rashidi Yekini University

For your consideration and approval.

Your Special Adviser On Nothing To Do
JQ!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by honeric01(m): 12:56pm On May 29, 2012
[size=18pt]If you ask a cab man to take you to MAU, MALU or Moshood Abiola University, don't be surprised if you see yourself in ABEOKUTA.. i love TRANSFORMATION![/size]
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 12:57pm On May 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Now you are talking like a good girl ! grin cheesy
dat's cuz u ve also becum my lil nice boy.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Abayomin70(m): 12:58pm On May 29, 2012
youngmonie: cmmon dis is so wrong in many ways.....dats university has carved a niche for itself as UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS!!! and now changing it to MAU!!!!..........soso wrong.......they could have changed OSU or some other university
grin
youngmonie: cmmon dis is so wrong in many ways.....dats university has carved a niche for itself as UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS!!! and now changing it to MAU!!!!..........soso wrong.......they could have changed OSU or some other university
guy u are sick very sick is osu a federal univsty go back and be reading ur ABC
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Testy17: 12:58pm On May 29, 2012
femo86: MKO ABIOLA has notin 2 do with UNILAG. He should have being remembered or placed seperately in d Fed. Govt...wetin concern Mko with Unilag. Insecurity, unemploymt, food, should be tackled.

What are u saying, does changing name has anything to do with what u have said? Let us be reasonable ones.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 1:01pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci:

dat u ur prayer no go work, and be careful the kind of prayers you prayers you pray for others because you will surely get thesame in your life, not a curse though but a universal law.b4 we tlk abt glory and you getting irritated, which school u from graduate?
i shud tel u my alma mater so dat wud start u rantin senselessly al over again?argh!sori,nt in d mood for tantrums.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by neoAhitopel(m): 1:02pm On May 29, 2012
June 12th was! was! was a mere one of the political events that only is relevant to Nigerian politicians, their families, relatives and hangers-on.

University of Nigeria Lagos (for this ought to have been the proper name... according to Prof. Eni Njoku the maiden or 1st V.C) or University of Lagos (Unilag... more better) is! is! is! a going concern where future African Leaders would be bred and brought up.

Surfice it to say that Unilag as a University stands above Abiola or any unglorious political event that adds to the misery common Nigerians are going through in this appealation irrespective of the fact that it ended his life filled of all wantonness, debourchery,licentiousness, greed, lies, blood of innocents etc etc.

It demeans Unilag to be so simply named after him.
LASU, if lagos is all that important would have attracted less vitupration to the president's political advisers than Unilag.
It will not fly... this kite.

Not even the name of Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe was big enough among Ibos to be used as a replacement against University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN).
Every Ibo man is consciously aware that even Ojukwu's name though very tall amongst them now will erode the glory when used as an alternative to University of Nigeria/or the lost Biafra.

When an institution is named after a State, it stands above the name of any single individual.

On inception an individuals' name could be used for an institution and not in retrogression.

The Lord is Good, All the Time.

Where there is no vision the people perish. Prov. 29:18.

Today The Lord has raised back the Spirit of Ahitophel in visionary and counselling matters among Nigerians but not as in his former wickedness.

The Christian Scriptures Notes in 2Samuel 16:23 that Consulting Ahitophel's Counsel was like consulting the Oracle of God.

Among Nigerians now you have the Grace of seeing this powerful gift of God again.

Have mercy unto yourself and take God's counsel from the lips of his chosen servant concerning your present endevors and sprisitual state or relationship with God again.

This piece of information was not supposed to be made public if not that the Lord sanctioned it for the benefit of many.

Act fast while you still have the Grace.

neoahitophel@live.com
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Abayomin70(m): 1:03pm On May 29, 2012
damola1: immortalise wetin?...

This is damn UNILAG we are talking about not some OSU... Damn!... God.. this dude needs to be kicked out!
guy u are very sick why callin osu
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by FILEBE(m): 1:10pm On May 29, 2012
Seriously? Cant bliv u guys ar sayin these. I dnt av a grudge wit G.ej even as i knw dat he's d mst controversial president ever. Wha0has changing of institution name got to do wit d state of d country? Is dat d subsidy thing? Is it d electric tarrif thing? Should he change yabatech to uni? Shouldnt he b talkin of aw to solve Boko Haram? Bt, our presidet Jonathan...sori, Jonathan wont fight dat rada he's goin to fight an harmless school's name. Damn! Bt M.k.o has go a plaza, a polythenic, a federal road. Wat again shud we giv him? He shud av even changd Nigeria's name to Federal Republic Of Moshood Abiola.!

And dnt u tink dis guy is doin dis as a form of antonement to the southwest so he could win 4 second time?

The v.c, shofoluwe died som days ago. Burial on thursday. The only v.c to have died o n duty in d history of Nigeria. Rumour has it dat his death was political. That he had been told abt the university's change of n he rejectd it. People ar nw sayin that he was killd by poisoning. The v.c's family wants to probe his death too.

Damn! This is politricks!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ifeci: 1:10pm On May 29, 2012
i shud tel u my alma mater so dat wud start u rantin senselessly al over again?argh!sori,nt in d mood for tantrums.

no, not dat; maybe that will make u understand y those guys are protesting! and I know if it was unilag, u wld hv proudly said it! u si, dts d glory we r tlking abt.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by John311: 1:10pm On May 29, 2012
To me i prefer the new name Abiola Babes

Unilag girls will get use to it..... Abiola babes sounds sweet grin
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Sholexyz(m): 1:10pm On May 29, 2012
GEJ has Phd in Zoology while Abati Creative Arts =Monkey tricks. Neva trust a man witout shoes. Up Maunilag,Malu,Maul,Mau.lmao.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by extension: 1:17pm On May 29, 2012
I TOTALLY BLAMED THE MINISTER FOR EDUCATION FOR ALLOWING THE NAME CHANGE.WHY NOT NAME ABIOLA INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTER ABUJA,NATIONAL STADIUM ABUJA,ASO ROCK,THIRD MAINLAND BRIDGE ETC.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by OzReal(m): 1:17pm On May 29, 2012
Just heard this news. Moshood what? angry This must be a joke. Someone should please tell me that my alma mater, my one and only UNILAG(ohh that name!!) isn't now called Moshood whatever. UNILAG for life!! grin
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 29, 2012
Whoever did this is a retard. It does not matter the individual you name the school after, but you just do not change the name of a university overnight. These are brands and legacy institutions known all over the world. It is not about MKO or anybody else, it is about preserving a brand and legacy. Have you heard Obama changing the name of a university, or you think they don't have national heroes in America? Same thing in the UK and in other countries?

I have worked in the US and UK and people actually know of University of Lagos, even if you are applying for a masters in a good school, you can always search for unilag in the list of universities and you will find it. You just don't change that brand overnight. A brand that had taken 50 years to build and one thoughtless fisherman will just change it for political gain. A complete idiot
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by extension: 1:18pm On May 29, 2012
MALU=MOSHOOD ABIOLA LAGOS UNIVERSITY.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fluxbush(f): 1:20pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci:

no, not dat; maybe that will make u understand y those guys are protesting! and I know if it was unilag, u wld hv proudly said it! u si, dts d glory we r tlking abt.
am stil waitin for u to enlighten me on dis 'glory'.am vry proud of my alma mater but if d gov changes it anyday,hw does dat translate in my lyf?wen u go for job interviews,do dey give unilag students special treatment?if u must knw,u al r arrogant pple who carry on on empty pride.imagine d comments made by pple suggesting dat osu shud ve bin renamed,lyk unilag is 'unrenameable'.mtchewww....if u guys dnt ve anytin constructive to do wit dis fyn day,i stil pray dat motor go jam una.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Ondo School Prints Names Of Indebted Students In Magazine (Photo) / Abdulkadir Islamiyat Oluwatoyin, Best Graduating Doctor/Student In IUA, Sudan / UNN Twerking Saga: Obi Mirabel's Family Takes Action, Deletes Instagram Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.