Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

So They Never Really Loved MKO - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So They Never Really Loved MKO (17635 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / MKO Abiola: How He Died - Dr Ore Falomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 2:05am On May 30, 2012
ekt_bear:

It is only today that you knew this?

You should have realized this months ago.

My brother I am just realising you know cry cry
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by kabba7(m): 2:17am On May 30, 2012
The rejection is not of MKO but of the clueless Jonathan whose rating is demises by the hour but want to use MKO to wickedly improve his corrupt regime posture in the eyes of Nigerians , that has fallen flat .
Meanwhile has the national assembly amended the law setting up UNILAG ? He probably want to carry out a coup then go back to the National assembly to legalise hid illegality .
Those with the thinking MKO is not loved should forget that cheap thinking...
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by PapaBrowne(m): 4:21am On May 30, 2012
alj harem: I am really waiting for Papabrown[b]E[/b] to give his excuse this time around.

Again being a federal institute, does the Executive have the right to spontanouly make a change in the institute without the parliamentary support or the institutional authority support.

I am getting scared already!! Nigerians have lost it. Scary!!
I'll ask 4 questions.

1)Before Western Avenue Surulere was changed to Funsho Williams Avenue, were the road users consulted?
2)Who did Fashola consult with before renaming Igbosere high court after Idowu Taylor?
3)Will you consult and seek your nanny's permission if you choose to change your child's name? For crying out loud, it's your child and your pay the nanny.
4)If Fashola renamed LASU after GANI FAWEHINMI, would we have this outrage?

What are you guys talking about. The Governing body of UNILAG has no business with whatever name change happens to the university. They govern based on the articles passed down to them by the Feds. The Feds have issued a new article which changes the name from UNILAG to MAU. The governing body henceforth has to govern based on this new article. You guys are just irrationally emotional and have desecrated the dignity of Abiola.

This is someone's comment on facebook and it expresses how much the people of Nigeria(Protesting Lagosians especially) have lost their bearing.
"I think the Nigerian students have lost it. We hear of corruption daily in billions. No student carried placards to say enough its enough. Now someone try's to honour a true philanthropist, know as the president we never had and now we hear students are carrying placards. Silly".

2 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Odunnu: 5:50am On May 30, 2012
PapaBrowne: Most South Westerners, young and old likewise are criticizing the renaming of UNILAG. I personally don't like the change in name. First because MAU just doesn't sound right. Secondly, I really don't know why but it just isn't cool.
However, I'm surprised at the reaction of South Westerners especially because they made everyone believe MKO was their hero.

Imagine if University of Nigeria Nnsukka were renamed after OJUKWU, I don't think it would generate all the negativity.
abeg abeg abeg, no think am. No go there.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by wesley80(m): 6:36am On May 30, 2012
^^ abeg think am. There's no way people would be falling over themselves just to criticize an Ojukwu university.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by dayokanu(m): 6:54am On May 30, 2012
wesley80: ^^ abeg think am. There's no way people would be falling over themselves just to criticize an Ojukwu university.

University of Nigeria Alumni Association (UNAA) has warned the Federal Government over its plan to rename their Alma mater after the late Biafra warlord, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegu Ojukwu. The association suggested the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) as a more befitting institution to be named after Ojukwu. Ojukwu is a graduate of NDA.

Late Nigerian Nationalist Dr Nnamdi Azikwe rejected calls for UNN to be named after him when he was alive, insisting UNN should retain its name. University of Jos Alumni association Lagos Plateau State branch also called sent an open letter to President Jonathan, stating the association does not approve of proposals in the Presidency to rename UNIJOS after former Nigerian President General Yakubu Gowon.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Gbawe: 7:06am On May 30, 2012
jason123: Ndigbo, I apologise for using you as an example.

Papabrowne, rather I think you exposed your hypocrisy.

A few months ago, the University of Nigeria, Nnsuka was about to be renamed after Ojukwu or Nnamdi (not sure which it was). The Igbo kicked against it, no one said the Igbo hates them. Now the Yorubas are doing the same and you brand them hypocrites??

Mister, search your heart well and find out what is biting you.

Indeed. The guy is not only a hypocrite, he is a bigot with a specific hate/inferiority complex issue against Yorubas that always compels him to do things like this. If he is not mischievously trying to derail any positive thread about the SW with negativity, you will find him making senseless statement slyly trying to disenfranchise Yorubas.

The forum should ask him to explain the ridiculously inane lie that could only have been told to disingenously deny the real and undoubted influence and importance of Yorubas in Nigeria.

Many dislike the Yorubas but most are not stupid enough to utter the garbage below. Guys, just look at the repulsive, highly ignorant rant below. Aside the stupidity of arrogating intellect/economic importance horribly wrongly ("Bendelites" ) and obviously deliberately denying it wrongly also (inane and deliberate failure to mention the Yorubas), we are directly confronted with the hypocrisy of this silly bigot.

We have the usual noise that Lagos economy is run by Igbos yet , with this thread, we have the hypocrisy seeking to insinuate their children don't go to UNILAG. Shameless mischief from this bigot now sees him seeking to propagate this is a "Yoruba" protest and an indicator the Yorubas do not love MKO when commonsense tells us this protest is likely to be comsmopolitian in nature - at least concerning the students themselves and teaching Staff. Anyway, 'goodluck' to those who take Papabrowne and his co-travellers serious on this forum.

P.S. anyone can go to the thread below to see my response the bigot ran away from.

https://www.nairaland.com/849594/why-we-rate-ibo-second

I don't know where you got that idea. Without question, Ibos and Bendelites have always been known to be the smartest Nigerians in the country!!
They are by far the most successful. They control the Nigerian economy. They produce the best technocrats.
The Lagos economy is run by the Igbos. Pull them out and Lagos would look like Cotonou.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by wesley80(m): 7:18am On May 30, 2012
dayokanu:

University of Nigeria Alumni Association (UNAA) has warned the Federal Government over its plan to rename their Alma mater after the late Biafra warlord, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegu Ojukwu. The association suggested the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) as a more befitting institution to be named after Ojukwu. Ojukwu is a graduate of NDA.

Late Nigerian Nationalist Dr Nnamdi Azikwe rejected calls for UNN to be named after him when he was alive, insisting UNN should retain its name. University of Jos Alumni association Lagos Plateau State branch also called sent an open letter to President Jonathan, stating the association does not approve of proposals in the Presidency to rename UNIJOS after former Nigerian President General Yakubu Gowon.

I'd already posted this

wesley80:

Renaming UNN would always be a debateable issue in the SE esp when one considers the fact that the great Zik of Africa requested that the institution not be renamed after him in other to retain its uniqueness and foster unity and his appeal was heeded even after death. That said, its difficult to imagine students protesting against renaming UNN after Ojukwu in the scale we've seen in Lagos and the widespread condemnation that has trailed the decision coming from Igbo leaders, this is just embarrassing. All of a sudden it seems all that matters is prestige and nothing else! SMH
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Pukkah: 7:25am On May 30, 2012
@OP, your double-speak is very transparent. Some previous posters have done justice to this with facts.

This is not nice.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 7:47am On May 30, 2012
kabba7:
The rejection is not of MKO but of the clueless Jonathan whose rating is demises by the hour but want to use MKO to wickedly improve his corrupt regime posture in the eyes of Nigerians , that has fallen flat .
Meanwhile has the national assembly amended the law setting up UNILAG ? He probably want to carry out a coup then go back to the National assembly to legalise hid illegality .
Those with the thinking MKO is not loved should forget that cheap thinking...

It sounds like a very solid rejection of MKO from where I stand. I will repeat that I am very proud to have personally taken part in MKO struggle as a mere teenager, indeed I visited his house at Opebi on quite a few occasions.

What is going on is deeply shocking, embarrassing and painful. The arguments for the rejection only sound more foolish with each passing minute.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 8:01am On May 30, 2012
[size=14pt]The son of the late politician, Abdul Abiola, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in a telephone interview that the family sees nothing wrong with the decision of the government in honour of their late father.

"We are shocked by the reactions trailing this development," Mr. Abiola said.

"My late father believed so much in education. He donated money to universities across the nation. Naming a university after him was a well-deserved honour.

"He should still be given more honours. We see nothing political in this. We are happy about it and we are yet to understand the rationale behind people going up in arms over this."

According to Mr. Abiola, the renaming of an institution as big as UNILAG after the late business mogul and philanthropist is just one of many ways to honour and immortalise him for all he did for the country's education sector when he was still alive.[/size]

Thank God!
The family is proud and happy for the name change, while ACN is organising rallies for fools to reject his name.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Pukkah: 8:10am On May 30, 2012
Beaf:

It sounds like a very solid rejection of MKO from where I stand. I will repeat that I am very proud to have personally taken part in MKO struggle as a mere teenager, indeed I visited his house at Opebi on quite a few occasions.

What is going on is deeply shocking, embarrassing and painful. The arguments for the rejection only sound more foolish with each passing minute.

Sincerely, the arguments against the rejection are obtuse and rooted in pure sentiments. It's actually embarassing to listen to many of the arguments from supposed graduates. So Nigeria has sunk this low!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Pukkah: 8:13am On May 30, 2012
Beaf:

Thank God!
The family is proud and happy for the name change, while ACN is organising rallies for fools to reject his name.

Is it not presumptuos to think that ACN is organizing to reject the name change?
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Rhino5dm: 8:23am On May 30, 2012
This renaming would stand in time before retardeen is finally kicked out of office. OBJ did same by remaming the military barracks in abuja. Kini big deal? UNILAG is priceless!!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 8:24am On May 30, 2012
Pukkah:

Is it not presumptuos to think that ACN is organizing to reject the name change?

No, I have seen just about enough of what is going on to suss that out.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 8:30am On May 30, 2012
Pukkah:

Sincerely, the arguments against the rejection are obtuse and rooted in pure sentiments. It's actually embarassing to listen to many of the arguments from supposed graduates. So Nigeria has sunk this low!

To be honest, I can't understand it. It seems almost like people are claiming that a brand name is bigger than the name, meaning and sacrifice of Abiola.

Abiola lived in Lagos, the pro-democracy riots were centred in Lagos, Kudirat Abiola his wife was shot at 7Up junction on the route to the new Ojata Freedom Park. Everything about MKO has Lagos written on it, yet he is being so crudely rejected.

Most of those who are doing the rejection today, ran away when we were carrying out the struggle in the streets, facing amoured cars and tear gas bombs dropped from helicopters (you could hear the explosions from miles away). Where were this Judases when we were facing Abacha eye-ball to eye-ball?
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by ekoboy: 9:01am On May 30, 2012
Am sure none of these people supporting renaming Unilag attended the school or have anything to do with the school. They propbably attended some state school cheesy.The point is why kill a brand that has taken 50yrs to get to where it is. Wha stops govt frm building a new school and naming after Abiola. In which country does govt keep changing name of schools.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by ektbear: 9:15am On May 30, 2012
That PapaBrowne is a slithering, devilish monster shouldn't be any news to anyone. This is simply the most recent of many of his antics.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Johndoe100(m): 9:27am On May 30, 2012
@topic
Why are people surprised? Yoruba people are traitorus, trecherus, and totally unscrupulus. See how they treat MKO.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 9:47am On May 30, 2012
Gbawe:

Indeed. The guy is not only a hypocrite, he is a bigot with a specific hate/inferiority complex issue against Yorubas that always compels him to do things like this. If he is not mischievously trying to derail any positive thread about the SW with negativity, you will find him making senseless statement slyly trying to disenfranchise Yorubas.

The forum should ask him to explain the ridiculously inane lie that could only have been told to disingenously deny the real and undoubted influence and importance of Yorubas in Nigeria.

Many dislike the Yorubas but most are not stupid enough to utter the garbage below. Guys, just look at the repulsive, highly ignorant rant below. Aside the stupidity of arrogating intellect/economic importance horribly wrongly ("Bendelites" ) and obviously deliberately denying it wrongly also (inane and deliberate failure to mention the Yorubas), we are directly confronted with the hypocrisy of this silly bigot.

We have the usual noise that Lagos economy is run by Igbos yet , with this thread, we have the hypocrisy seeking to insinuate their children don't go to UNILAG. Shameless mischief from this bigot now sees him seeking to propagate this is a "Yoruba" protest and an indicator the Yorubas do not love MKO when commonsense tells us this protest is likely to be comsmopolitian in nature - at least concerning the students themselves and teaching Staff. Anyway, 'goodluck' to those who take Papabrowne and his co-travellers serious on this forum.

P.S. anyone can go to the thread below to see my response the bigot ran away from.

https://www.nairaland.com/849594/why-we-rate-ibo-second

Just incase you didn't know: Papa Browne is 100% Igbo.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Demdem(m): 9:55am On May 30, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
This renaming would stand in time before retardeen is finally kicked out of office. OBJ did same by remaming the military barracks in abuja. Kini big deal? UNILAG is priceless!!

Abi ooo. The same reason why am not so much bothered at all. The retardeen has done so many miserable things since he assumed office and this issue is simply among. Its just a matter of time, this dumb decision and legacy of the retardeen will surely be expunged by the next govt.
Vast majority dont want it and u simply cant force it down their throat.
Imo state University/Evan Ewerem University comes to remembrance.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 10:11am On May 30, 2012
for years several sw states have honored abiola by declaring june 12 a public holiday

if the aso rock dunce was sincere, that would have been what he should have done - decalre june 12 a national public holiday

some have said the real democracy day should be june 12

there are all sorts of buildings and institutions that the silly man could have chosen to name after abiola - but we know his goal - the great disuniter

of course, he had to go for the one that would cause the most cntroversy

dumb administration dumber president
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Rhino5dm: 10:25am On May 30, 2012
Just as the person BEAF is 100% Ibo. Their low self-esteem is really disturbing, else I don't see anything wrong in identifying with your people. The good thing is that they can only rants over the internet. I pity them.

kingoflag: Just incase you didn't know: Papa Browne is 100% Igbo.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by wesley80(m): 10:25am On May 30, 2012
edit
oyb: for years several sw states have honored abiola by declaring june 12 a public holiday

if the aso rock dunce was sincere, that would have been what he should have done - decalre june 12 a national public holiday

some have said the real democracy day should be june 12

there are all sorts of buildings and institutions that the silly man could have chosen to name after abiola - but we know his goal - the great disuniter

of course, he had to go for the one that would cause the most cntroversy

dumb administration dumber president

Oodo, who needs another public holiday?
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Gbawe: 10:25am On May 30, 2012
ekt_bear: That PapaBrowne is a [b]slithering, devilish monster [/b]shouldn't be any news to anyone. This is simply the most recent of many of his antics.

Correct. Totally wretched Weasel. he is one of those always keen to take advantage of how Yorubas are not insecure braggarts by telling silly lies all over the forum and attempting to undermine anything positive about the SW and Yoruba folks in general. We see this directly with this latest and clearly bigoted attempt to taint Yoruba folks with negativity and infamy.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by jmaine: 10:34am On May 30, 2012
Personally . .i don't subscribe to the motion that the ACN is conductingor sponsoring the protest . .the students protest was a spontaneous reaction to the "Weak arguement" that "Moshood" is not a tushed name hence de-repping their swag . . .

I feel the ACN have only been wrong footed in this move . .they can't come out publicly to applaud it or denounce . .whichever . .it's a huge minus to them . . .so like they say . .silence is golden and they have adopted it to play safe on this . . .

P.S . . .The protesting students cuts across tribal and ethnic lines . . .They are Unilag students first & foremost, and that is what they stand for protesting what they term as an embarassing name not befitting their swagger . .lame line of excuse . . . i must say . . .
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by wesley80(m): 10:39am On May 30, 2012
wesley80: If I tell you don't tell anoda person o you hear? Just heard this is all OBJ's handwork, you know he never really liked MKO and has been waiting to prove he's a greater hero than MKO mehnn see opportunity. But come to think of it, could it have been any worse if they'd renamed UNILAG after OBJ? This is just as bad as BAD can get, I mean embarrasingly bad! This is no way to treat a supposed hero I tell u.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by ak47mann(m): 10:44am On May 30, 2012
i wonder why they reject one of their icon MKO?what is the noise about june 12,SW is really divided cool cool
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by ektbear: 10:47am On May 30, 2012
jmaine:
I feel the ACN have only been wrong footed in this move . .they can't come out publicly to applaud it or denounce . .whichever . .it's a huge minus to them . . .so like they say . .silence is golden and they have adopted it to play safe on this . . .

Lol. So they have said nothing and taken no position on the matter, yet you will still denounce them grin

You are too biased, jmaine
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 10:55am On May 30, 2012
werepeLeri: why doesnt it sound right? Please explain.

The name UNILAG carries tons of meaning.
It carries HISTORY,
It carries EXCELLENCE,
It carries KNOWLEDGE,
It carries CIVILIZATION,
It carries RICHNESS,
It is SYMBOLIC.
The name UNILAG has existed long before people like AWOLOWO that may be greater than Abiola died. . .
So changing that name is like suddenly stripping someone naked. . .like asking people to part its strong MEANING.

Hope you understand now. . .its not the first time a school's name will be changed but for unilag, the name means far more than the school itself and people are not convinced that honoring looooooooong dead MKO is not a strong enough reason to part with the richness of that name and beside as you see. . .its a perfectly WRONG TIMING.
They could have had a better luck with the renaming then when he freshly died and not now that no one trusts political moves like this.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Demdem(m): 11:07am On May 30, 2012
jmaine:

grin grin grin

it took FG/PDP more than a week to respond to the N155 Malabu oil scandal. Patience guy, this issue is still a little more than 24hrs.

grin grin grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by jmaine: 11:09am On May 30, 2012
ekt_bear:

Lol. So they have said nothing and taken no position on the matter, yet you will still denounce them grin

You are too biased, jmaine

interesting how you label me as been biased, when my post exonerated the ACN from the allegation of sponsors of the student protest . . . And also not seeing an ethnic/religious colouration to their protest

Guess you mis-understood my post . .in clear terms . . .all i said was that the ACN chose the smart safe option of remaining silent and neutral " for now" . . .cos publicly applauding or denouncing the move would have been a huge minus to them . . .hence my proverb, " Silence is indeed golden"

So how are my too biased . . . Guess the biased person here is you cos you threw all my post away cos of your prejudice . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. / Jonathan Ignores Anenih’s 2015 Advice / Kogi APC Stakeholders Give Conditions For Genuine Reconciliation With Gov. Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.