Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,602 members, 7,770,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:50 AM

Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know (60795 Views)

We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Traveling To Nigeria: Things To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 6:41am On Jun 15, 2012
overloved:

even person wey go for 3 months visiting to uk go come back dey form accent. na that one de vex me pass. even celebrity sef like p-square de form accent for interview, and i was like WTF nigga, why must you copy the oyinbos? be natural

Just like you are being 'natural' there.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by capiti: 11:22am On Jun 15, 2012
justwise:

Like you are being sincere here.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 11:42am On Jun 15, 2012
@esere826

This information has been invaluable. I need some advice, I'll start post-grad school this year in Uk. I've been in formal employment for 10yrs and I recently gained Prince2 certification (already have BSc 2.2 Engineering). I need advice on how to look for work. My course schedule is flexible so lecture days are 3-6days a month.
I want to take on work that will give me experience in project management. How should I go about applying for work in that field since I'm only permitted.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 12:26pm On Jun 15, 2012
capiti:

Like you are being sincere here.

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 3:30pm On Jun 15, 2012
@salsera
Great that u find the info invaluable.

Regarding advice, thats tough for many reasons which include: 1>I'm not competent in giving advices, just making suggestions.2> there is so much non-information in your profile. This is required in order to offer suggestions that might be relevant to you. For example, do you have a british passport?, what are ur goals?, what can u not afford to do? What 2 or 3 days do u go to school? how many hours per week are u permitted to work? BSc engineering in what? what is ur postgrad in? what is the weighting of the university? etc. so much i tell u.

Some universities offer part time work to their student, some have recruitment portals where you can look for jobs. I really don't know where ur coming from, or where u intend to go, or what u can tolerate
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 3:36pm On Jun 15, 2012
@salsera

Project management is very wide o. It is in events management, civil/structural engineering, HR, IT, researh analysis. In fact everything. I have however noticed that where u use most of the tools that look like what prince 2 teaches is in structural engineering (something like the delivery of the millenium dome or 02 which was partly structural and partly event) and IT
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 3:39pm On Jun 15, 2012
@salsera

your strengths are however glaring: female, engineer with a prince 2 certification and 10 yrs experience. If the company you worked for was a multinational, then you are on girl. I swear. So, it more like what exactly or averagely are u looking at + what is your visa status?
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 3:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
justwise:

A lot of people seem irrated by this "trying to speak oyibo thing"

I've been scratching my head trying to understand why. Even me i dey vex some times wen 9ja dey try speak oyibo. I'm beginning to suspect that na the incomplete accent they worry people (kai, i don start analysis again... God save me.)I mean, if a 9ja guy comes to you and speaks oyibo fluently without ur noticing the 9ja bit, will u be upset? If u knew the bloke before his transformation, then after his transformation will u be upset? many questions..
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2012
esere826:

I've been scratching my head trying to understand why. Even me i dey vex some times wen 9ja dey try speak oyibo. I'm beginning to suspect that na the incomplete accent they worry people (kai, i don start analysis again... God save me.)I mean, if a 9ja guy comes to you and speaks oyibo fluently without ur noticing the 9ja bit, will u be upset? If u knew the bloke before his transformation, then after his transformation will u be upset? many questions..

What irritates me is when people over use some street slangs, 'innit' for example

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by queensmith: 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
esere826:

I think it's an attention thing, when i'm speaking to someone with an african accent i automatically change to an african accent. If im speaking to anyone else i speak normal, its reflex for me but i think its just to blend in to different environments.
On the other hand, when someone with a very african accent tries to pull off 'phone' like dragging or singing words it's damn irritating,. And that includes when these african artists (with very concentrated accents) try to pull off american accents, they sound ridiculous.
Do they not realise they sound ridiculous? Meanwhile some people, like wole soyinka, that guy on channels,all the posh rich kids!, pull off african accents in a fantastic manner,

justwise:

What irritates me is when people over use some street slangs, 'innit' for example

Isn't that the whole point of slang? Overusing the words you are used to!

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 4:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

I think it's an attention thing, when i'm speaking to someone with an african accent i automatically change to an african accent. If im speaking to anyone else i speak normal, its reflex for me but i think its just to blend in to different environments.
On the other hand, when someone with a very african accent tries to pull off 'phone' like dragging or singing words it's damn irritating,. And that includes when these african artists (with very concentrated accents) try to pull off american accents, they sound ridiculous.
Do they not realise they sound ridiculous? Meanwhile some people, like wole soyinka, that guy on channels,all the posh rich kids!, pull off african accents in a fantastic manner,

Isn't that the whole point of slang? Overusing the words you are used to!

I don't think so, moderate use of it should be ok, i can't stand people who ends everything they say by 'innit'

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by queensmith: 4:50pm On Jun 15, 2012
justwise:

I don't think so, moderate use of it should be ok, i can't stand people who ends everything they say by 'innit'

lol, i like it- moderate use of slang. That's like saying people should make moderate use of English when trying to communicate.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 5:05pm On Jun 15, 2012
justwise:

ehn, ehn, this reminds me. In UK, recruiters they try hard not to recruit people with dat kine 'innit' manner of accent o. Whether the people are british, yellow, black or white. Once u use 'innit', e go hard u to get in o. I was actually lectured on this by by recrutment consultant coleagues wen be oyibos
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 5:11pm On Jun 15, 2012
esere826:

ehn, ehn, this reminds me. In UK, recruiters they try hard not to recruit people with dat kine 'innit' manner of accent o. Whether the people are british, yellow, black or white. Once u use 'innit', e go hard u to get in o. I was actually lectured on this by by recrutment consultant coleagues wen be oyibos

Exactly!! its not just 'street' slang, its more of a chav, work-shy type who have made a career as a benefit claimers. grin
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 5:12pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

Do they not realise they sound ridiculous? Meanwhile some people, like wole soyinka, that guy on channels,all the posh rich kids!, pull off african accents in a fantastic manner, !

Makes sense
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 5:13pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

lol, i like it- moderate use of slang. That's like saying people should make moderate use of English when trying to communicate.

Its not, the use of innit at every end of sentence makes it boring, irritating to listen to.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 5:18pm On Jun 15, 2012
justwise:

Exactly!! its not just 'street' slang, its more of a chav, work-shy type who have made a career as a benefit claimers. grin

No be lie.

But wen a 9ja chap comes to UK, it is only normal that this is the kind of accent that they might more easily pick up first. I mean the innit girls are everywhere, the areas where the innit guys leave happen to provide cheaper accomodation.

Until the 9ja guys are lectured and integrated otherwise, they might think say dat one na the real UK
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by queensmith: 5:24pm On Jun 15, 2012
esere826:

Well obviously when you're at work you should be able to conduct yourself in a professional enough manner, I have to admit, I have seen many 'innit' boys and 'essex' girls with good jobs I think it's all part of life here in the UK.

You won't automatically be discredited for speaking a certain way (unless the interviewer is classist)
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 5:52pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

Well obviously when you're at work you should be able to conduct yourself in a professional enough manner, I have to admit, I have seen many 'innit' boys and 'essex' girls with good jobs I think it's all part of life here in the UK.

You won't automatically be discredited for speaking a certain way (unless the interviewer is classist)

Actually its possible, with the 'high' rate of unemployment, certain thing like that will get your CV in the bin.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by queensmith: 6:01pm On Jun 15, 2012
justwise: [/b]

Actually its possible, with the 'high' rate of unemployment, certain thing like that will get your CV in the bin.

innit on a cv? undecided undecided

The way you speak, may not in any way impede the job or reflect your level of competence.

Granted, you need an excellent vocabulary if you are going to lecture english, but if you are an it programmer, a statistician, or even if you are marketing a massager in elephant and castle self. How will 'innit' affect your work?

It can even be of benefit when you are expected to relate to the people you work with, there are all sorts of people and personalities in the work place in this country. Diversity is appreciated, I've met waaay too many chavy sounding male professionals to believe 'innit' will not get you a job. When people that can barely speak english get jobs? abeg.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 15, 2012
BSC is Chem Engrg, job experience has been in the energy sector. Company is not multinational
My question is related to how to look for work; since i have the certification i want to work on actual projects. Since student visa only allows us to work parttime, i'm wondering how i can look for such jobs.
Lecture hours are Mon-Wed (once a month)
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by jidewin(m): 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2012
esere826: 22e)STILL ON TOKPE

Although she had enjoyed some nice smooch with him, they had not KNOWN each other grin. Least I get carried away, the issue she was now facing was one of security. With her present job paying 7GBP/hr,it was a comfort zone for her. She was sure that the company would keep her for as long as it was technically possible. The valid fear she had was starting another job and getting kicked out from the new job (e dey happen wel, well o). How would she cope? She and I got down to doing the maths together (I bet that a lot of 9ja folks in UK would be able to relate to this):

Average monthly earning = 850Pounds
Average Monthy rent = 360
Average Mnthly Transport = 100 (if she use tube or train always, na die be dat)
Average Mnthly Feeding = 90 (some people 4 NL forum dey use 100pounds per week)
Other Mnthly Expenses = 150
Church tithe & Offering =
"I be girl" expenses = 100

In effect at the end of each month, she was left with nothing.

Esere...Seun suppose engage you as a mod walai.If only you know d kain traffic wey your write dey generate...plus including me.I dey sama d well composed english,with a touch of panache. You come garnish am with pidgin...Guy...two thumbs up bo.
But come o,so na true say una wey dey UK no dey like pay Tithe and Offering? Oghene biko!!!! I no fit laff.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 6:49pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

The way you speak, may not in any way impede the job or reflect your level of competence.

Granted, you need an excellent vocabulary if you are going to lecture english, but if you are an it programmer, a statistician, or even if you are marketing a massager in elephant and castle self. How will 'innit' affect your work?

It can even be of benefit when you are expected to relate to the people you work with, there are all sorts of people and personalities in the work place in this country. Diversity is appreciated, I've met waaay too many chavy sounding male professionals to believe 'innit' will not get you a job. When people that can barely speak english get jobs? abeg.

Not in CV, your CV may get you to interview stage, while your language at the interview could end your dream of landing that job.

Yes certain jobs that has to do with public awareness/relation in a specific area of the community, 'innit' or 'cockney accent' will give you an advantage if that is the common language in that community.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2012
@justwise and @queensmith

lol.. There was this documentary last year or two where a female recruiter and Ray Lewis (Borris Johnson's former deputer mayor) where trying to get two folks into work. The oyibo woman told her protegee straight up that he needed to get rid of his 'innit' accent in order to work in the financial industry. She even went further to tell the young man that she actually changes her accent to the upper class oyibo type when she is conversing with top notch business contacts.

I don't like descrimination, but its real.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 7:23pm On Jun 15, 2012
salsera:
BSC is Chem Engrg, job experience has been in the energy sector. Company is not multinational
My question is related to how to look for work; since i have the certification i want to work on actual projects. Since student visa only allows us to work parttime, i'm wondering how i can look for such jobs.

"Part time work" visa status: Na here the problem dey. You might not be granted the oppurtunity to have PM experience. I would suggest that instead, u seek an administrative or any other role in a company that you can tie up with ur Cv when u finish school and u get ur PSW visa.

Right now, u've got chem engr degree, energy sector experience (i guess u mean in the oil and gas sector), pm certification.

U probably could be looking for any work (even if na telephone operator work as long as the company go give u a well logo'd reference) in a company that: teaches PM, or an engineering related company.

If you are primarily thinking of just the experience, then don't worry. My next topic on maximizing friends will provide you an insight on how to go about it
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by justwise(m): 7:27pm On Jun 15, 2012
esere826: @justwise and @queensmith

lol.. There was this documentary last year or two where a female recruiter and Ray Lewis (Borris Johnson's former deputer mayor) where trying to get two folks into work. The oyibo woman told her protegee straight up that he needed to get rid of his 'innit' accent in order to work in the financial industry. She even went further to tell the young man that she actually changes her accent to the upper class oyibo type when she is conversing with top notch business contacts.

I don't like descrimination, but its real.

Sadly that is the bitter truth. You will see typical example when you travel to a place like Bradford,most of the businesses there are owned by Asians and workers are Asian as well, majority of workers in city council there are Asians because you have Asians in a higher positions.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 7:31pm On Jun 15, 2012
jidewin:
Esere...Seun suppose engage you as a mod walai.If only you know d kain traffic wey your write dey generate...plus including me.I dey sama d well composed english,with a touch of panache. You come garnish am with pidgin...Guy...two thumbs up bo.
But come o,so na true say una wey dey UK no dey like pay Tithe and Offering? Oghene biko!!!! I no fit laff.

I no tok say dem no dey pay tithe o. I just inferred that the faith and pain required to give in the UK is one that would keep the presiding pastor on his feet and ensure that the tithers face is not further pained by the pastors palms
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 7:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
queensmith:

I like ur stance, but em .. like i said in one of my earlier posts my observation is that whereas polish accented gals with not too 'good' english get 'white' collar jobs more easily, same cannot be said for their male counterparts. I think that to some degree its the subconciouse pleasentness of the sound to the hearer that affects reactions. i also suspect that such assimilation might differ in different environments/contexts

I mean, make we tok true. Even for 9ja we dey yab some kine accent no matter how correct the english is.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 9:15pm On Jun 15, 2012
salsera:

Another thought just crossed my mind which u can start researching even from nigeria. Spend time doing searches in google and resourcing portals such as reed.co.uk. Whatt you could do is to use key words such as part time, prince 2, project management, engineering, Uk etc. you can use them in different combinations, but always ensure that 'part-time' is one of the key words. This will call out jobs that might be relevant to u. Remember that the companies are not interested in you wanting to gain experience from them, rather what u can bring to the table. U might find that some particular hard skills are consistent with these jobs. U could spend ur time to practice them while in nigeria. If I were u, I wont be too eager to spend money on certifications on the skills.

I would suggest that you avoid jobs that seem to emphasis soft skills. The reason is because ur just fresh from 9ja and might find it difficult to culturally adapt easily. The companies might feel the same way too. Make i stop here, if not i for tell u say don't bother about part'time jobs that require more hours than stated in ur visa. Them no dey hear abeg.

Starting small is also a good strategy (but we no dey hear dis one). We hear stories of how someone hit it big immediately and that it is by God's grace. Na true, but far more people have psychological scars after trying but failing repeatedly. My mantra is "if u want to reach for the sky, start with your roof top, then then the 3storey building closest to u, and on and on u go till u reach it"

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Omolewu(m): 3:47am On Jun 16, 2012
one of my friend travelled to dubai u a e early this year and he told me to send my scanned passport and $1000 to do visa and work permit for me.pls aadvise me for i dont want to go astray.shd i send the money?
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by ifegy: 5:32am On Jun 16, 2012
Omolewu: one of my friend travelled to dubai u a e early this year and he told me to send my scanned passport and $1000 to do visa and work permit for me.pls aadvise me for i dont want to go astray.shd i send the money?
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)

Short answer: No. It'll be the last you see of the cash.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 6:42pm On Jun 16, 2012
23a) GAINING EXPERIENCE: CREATIVITY AND YOUR FRIENDS

It is said that in order to be creative u'd need to utilize the right side of ur brain. You'd need it when u start exploring the concept we will be introducing here. Also, for those of us that are stretching our brains beyond its present capabilities as we try to absorb and synthesize far more information than we are used to, you might notice fatigue (an inability to focus on the desired topic)and headaches/migraines.

No be winch for village dey cause am. Studies show that it has something to do with the lazy nature of the brain as it seeks to compartmentalize issues. The brain just like u, no like too much stress. It feels quite comfortable in putting things in well compartmentalized boxes. There is also some evidence linking this character of the brain to our language of comprehension. For example, in the enlish language, there are very few middle grounds, its either black or white, good or bad.

You can see the effect of such psychological constraints in most threads on NL and beyond. The brain no like stress, so if Obasanjo is bad in one thing then he his bad in all.... Africa is a backward continent ..... Igbos are fraudsters....... Hausas are mumus....... Islam na bad religion........ Pastors performing miracles and yet predicting doom, beating both strangers and children must be from the devil.....Jonathan is an ijaw man is therefore a rum or kaikai drinker...

How can Rueben Abati be a reknowned columnist and critique and yet be working for GEJ? The brain no like this kain wahala (especially if it has been further programmed using the 'either/or' kind of languages). It throws in the towel, picks a convenient label, and walks away smiling in relief.

As u seek to expand your brain power and its ability to think critically, of course resistance go dey for ur brain.

I cant remember the exact technical terms used, but its something like this. Your brain is made of roads where blood (or some kind of fluid or signals) can flow thru and are interconnecting. some of these roads have some critical intelligence or comprehension functions. As they have not been in use for a long time, they kina constrict. So when u push ur mental abilities, the blood/fluid/signals push hard against these blocked paths leading to fatigues and headaches.

Don't give up if this happens. Its like body building. wen u stretch beyond ur pain treshold, u get more muscules and faster.

The reason I brought this up is because of the fatigue u might face when trying to practice steps listed in post '23'

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Journey To The UK / Ozuma Bridge In Okene Collapses A Week After Yahaya Bello Constructed It (photo) / Lagos At Night..captivating pictures of a city on the rise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.