Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:15 AM

Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know (60790 Views)

We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Traveling To Nigeria: Things To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by 2legit2qwt: 6:37am On Jun 02, 2012
Socialize and when you do, make sure you're not limited to just Nigerians or other Africans. It's about who you know and that big break you've been seeking might not necessarily come from a Nigerian (or it could be), however, the main thing is to expand your network of friends (a lot of Nigerians that I know hardly make friends with people of other nationalities).

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by femiap: 6:39am On Jun 02, 2012
Nice and Informative Post.Please if you are coming to Yankee,just like the moderator said....acquire some skills that are IT inclined..with that the sky is your limit.Sensible nigerian guys here in Texas are making as much as 7k dollars/month because of these skills they have.A white man will pay you the right money if you possess the skills needed.Am a good example by Gods grace and have only been in Yankee less than 3 years.

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Kala11(m): 6:48am On Jun 02, 2012
Interesting
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 02, 2012
Pls make sure you have a qualification as in BSc OR vocational skill(hairdressing,barbing,mechanics)etc...it helps alot..money is nt easy to make abroad unless u av wat it takes and God guideness
ariyokunle: "Qualification"- especially in wat? "Skills"- such as? Pls explain,tanks.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 7:06am On Jun 02, 2012
Den cont playing visa lottery..i dnt lyk d idea of marrying akata to get paper.God hs plans 4 evrybodi
manny4life:

Seconded! Wait o, if you don't marry akata, how u gonna do papers naw? grin grin grin

Akata is a word used in a derogatory connotation towards a black person(s) in the community. More likely than not, the word is used on people who are pretty much useless in the community such as those who live on welfare checks aka food stamps, smokes all sorts of smokables like weed, do drugs, drunks... I mean most African Americans with such life are referred to as Akata.

Viewing this topic: damola1, rickiross(m), Ardedaryor, Theben(m), promzy143, Maxymilliano, deshysmalls, Basics007, manny4life(m), dnative(m), Akpu.Nku, Nnaemiemax(m), duality, BusHouse(f), Sedar, Demoore(m), vanitty, dozie s, wild guy(m), pappyjoo, ceejayluv(m), sodipe12, kennyjvip, jiniux(m), buildelicool(m), khanivorous(m), chx_e, fubbyy(m), ItsModella(f), samsolite(m), sidwell, aykabba, Ideasroole, Sonnik212, kayusbrown(m), knight351(m), hrhobi1(m), jeffizy(m), Roland17(m), Smuthx(m), Ozonna(m), chally 02, FILEBE(m), medexico(m), ariyebaba, Peterson1993(m) and 56 guest(s)

Damn, business is booming grin grin grin

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 7:09am On Jun 02, 2012
I disagree with u on dat..our qualifications(university certificates) r recognised outside..d most imp tin is 2 knw ao to defend ur certificate
Ozonna:

Good question. Especially as our educational qualifications/credentials are not recognised outside our shores.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by femiap: 7:14am On Jun 02, 2012
IF you know you are capable of acquiring professional skills like SAP,ORACLE,SQL,BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE AND OTHERS THAT WOULD BE GREAT.I CAN BOLDLY SAY INDIANS ARE THE ONES IN CHARGE OF ALL MAJOR ORGANIZATION HERE IN YANKEE IN THE IT AREAS.WHY SETTLE TO BECOME A BARBER OR MECHANIC IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE BRAIN TO LEARN THESE SKILLS.ALL YOU NEED IS GODS GRACE,HARDWORK(READING A LOT)AND BE CONFIDENT.
Kala11: Interesting
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by JW214: 7:19am On Jun 02, 2012
Don't think every European country is a member of the European Union, thus an automatic ticket to enter the UK, Germany, France, etc.

Some European countries are just a little better than Nigeria and living there to make millions may not be possible.

A friend almost got sold to someone who told him he can get him a visa to travel to Georgia in Europe and from there, he can travel by Land(train) to UK.... That day I saw another level of despiracy to leave Nigeria
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 02, 2012
True talk bro bt many pple dont knw do worth of ds professional courses...dey will be persuading pple to do it here in nigeria giving dem scholarship bt dey will be sayn dey want to dupe dem.thatz nigerians for you..well am a PHP learner and will do my certification exam late ds year...ds professional courses have a lot of money IF u r confident in wht u av in ur brain
femiap: IF you know you are capable of acquiring professional skills like SAP,ORACLE,SQL,BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE AND OTHERS THAT WOULD BE GREAT.I CAN BOLDLY SAY INDIANS ARE THE ONES IN CHARGE OF ALL MAJOR ORGANIZATION HERE IN YANKEE IN THE IT AREAS.WHY SETTLE TO BECOME A BARBER OR MECHANIC IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE BRAIN TO LEARN THESE SKILLS.ALL YOU NEED IS GODS GRACE,HARDWORK(READING A LOT)AND BE CONFIDENT.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by stokolie(m): 7:30am On Jun 02, 2012
a decree or a certificate is good but what u can do is all they need not some sheet of paper.
having said that most people travel to europe and the USA.these are already established places. i am currently in one of the southern african countries. and believe me it lot more easier to make it over here as a business man than in europe. i know mega millionaire who made it simply,just imaging someone paying 3000 dollar per month just for his shop or office.then pay even higher for warehouse and apartment.still pay for maid and employees.
have been able to build business that fetch them money even in Nigeria.still they are in africa.
if u must leave Nigeria have a plan,and cash. it important. lot of good advise here already.

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by atiku07(m): 7:39am On Jun 02, 2012
Learning so much here humn!
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Skywalker5(m): 7:39am On Jun 02, 2012
papatosibe: Get rid of your heavy accent and always wear cologne. I hate FOBs.

If possible please stay in Naija. Too many of you here already. most are good for nothing anyway.

whats FOB
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 02, 2012
So People still leave Nigeria to go hussle abroad ? Jesos Cries! There are more opportunities here than in any part of the world.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Markenny(m): 8:06am On Jun 02, 2012
Seek advice from lawyer befor seeking asylum...
Atleast that will get you 3 to 4 years...

Papa die and mama die..they want to kill me and I run
It don't matter any more.my papa bring me here and say make I no talk till he is back will get you deport sofort.I brake egg and see myself in europ will get you into truble.flying horse bring me here will get you into jail.I no be nigerian will get you into deportation camp for longer time(2years).
Don't trust nigerians ...use private lawyer for first rejection..don't use social lawyer..

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Lisa1: 8:16am On Jun 02, 2012
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by gbadexy(m): 8:20am On Jun 02, 2012
eduson33: Fellow Nigerians, I hail you!

This just ran across my mind. Abeg, anybody that has plans of leaving Nigeria and wishes not to roast and die hustling abroad, you have to know this:

1. Never give your passport to anyone even if the person is your mum. Don't agree. In fact, swallow it.
2. Don't give even your brother money to help you get stay or resident permit.
3. Acquire some skills or educational qualifications before leaving Nigeria.
4. Anyting you wanna do, think over it for four to five days and seek advice from 10 persons before you do it.
5. Don't send money to your brother or sister to invest for you here in Nigeria.
6. Don't start solving family problems immediately you get there. Even if your uncle dies, don't return if you know you're not yet standing firm.
7. Most important: Never forget GOD if you really want to make it.

Well Done!
Well said

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by SlamDunk(m): 8:20am On Jun 02, 2012
... And if U̶̲̥̅̊re into internet fraud YY nd think cos uve not been caught in 9ja U̶̲̥̅̊ can go abroad and continue, ure on a long thing cos u will b caught. So drop it behind.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by comechop(m): 8:25am On Jun 02, 2012
Sky-walker:

whats FOB

Fresh Off the Boat. Refers to a very fresh and naive immigrant.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by tuniski: 8:28am On Jun 02, 2012
Pls oh I am to study Msc in LSBF uk and already has Bsc in finance and ACCA. What are my chances of a job to beef CV and reduce cost?
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by easy102: 8:53am On Jun 02, 2012
U are right bro..Am in SA now and i have experienced one..
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by huncky: 9:01am On Jun 02, 2012
Good one. And always have in mind your last day to stay there,the every first day you get into that country
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by mentorken05(m): 9:29am On Jun 02, 2012
Pls pals,I could rily use some advic ryt nw.I wanna travel to ukraine 2 study medicine nd am just wif my 0 level...z it a good advice?
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by jidewin(m): 9:31am On Jun 02, 2012
Roland17: [b]To be honest, based on my experience and many others here, i would say, Stay away from Nigerians here, especially those you think are Family here, its hard but its the truth, many times they are nothing but BIG trouble, there are many nice people around, including Akata and other nationals, be very open to interact and communicate with them, they would help you faster than even your own brothers that have been here for Donkey years..

If you are not hard working, patient and cant persevere, please just sit your Lazy behind back in Nigeria and don't bother wasting your flight ticket, because like they say " there is no free lunch in the US"

And when you get here to avoid distraction, Stay away from Facebook etc, Focus on improving yourself based on the skills and education you acquired before coming here.

Lastly, Records are very important, be very careful, because if get into the wrong side of the Law, it stays there for donkey years and affects everything you do for life.

God bless the OP[/b]
I second your honest post. I remembered when I ran into a 'small' ditch,and I sought "assistance" from my countrymen,whom I knew had the means,I was badly mesmerised. And to worsen the situation the man who hosted me said "NOBODY WILL HELP YOU IN ABROAD". Well surprisingly the nationals here and foreigners whom he forbade me from, came to my rescue.....and a fellow Nairalander from Naija too. Life is full of surprises,however there will always be that time,when those who turned you down today may have a change of heart...and that na when u don get solid ground o.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by mentorken05(m): 9:34am On Jun 02, 2012
Pls pals...I wanna travel abroad(ukraine to be specific)to study medicine.I dnt knw if its a good idea cos d only cert I cn boast ryt nw z 0 level.my I nid some advic
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Redman44(m): 9:54am On Jun 02, 2012
Well, a lot of stuff has been outlined in the other posts on this thread cool cool cool Let me just add my own nuggets of wisdom concerning Things you must know before leaving Nigeria.

1. Don't live beyond your means or else you will have nothing to call your own after 15-20 years in Europe and North America. Just because the British and American citizens all around you are looking good all the time and driving fancy cars, does not mean they are Rich. They're most likely living on credit cards and are living in bondage to debts. So cut you coat according to your size and look for bargains online when buying things you need.

2. Don't trust too many Nigerians because many of them are not happy with their situation. So they might just plot your downfall if you're fresh in the UK or US and doing better than them. Limit your visits to the homes of Family Members and Relatives and don't always announce your moves and plans to them. I'm not saying you should not be close to them but please you need your own space to live your life. Many Africans are bitter over here due to misfortunes they sometimes bring upon themselves. Don't let them unleash their bitterness on you. Don't also tell everyone about your status ( The kind of visa you have or Passport Type )as it can lead to hatred being directed against you.

3. Always send money directly to your Parents and Family Members in Nigeria. Don't send money through people to your loved ones. The cash you sent might not get to them. Tell your parents to give you the details on their National ID Card or Passport so you can send cash to them directly through MoneyGram, Ria or Western Union. They can go mand collect the money themselves in Nigeria.

4. Take the time to feed properly and maintain a balanced diet. Food is not that expensive in the UK and North America. Take the time to shop properly and buy nourishing food, cereals and fruits. Eat well. At least, you owe yourself good meals and food. Stock your Freezer with good food and I bet you won't be falling sick all the time. And don't always buy African food alone. Nigerian Food Products are expensive abroad.

5. Acquire more education and take the time to get training that will boost your earning power. Don't be comfortable working in menial jobs. Menial jobs should be done for a while to gather money that will be used to acquire professional training. There are loads of professional opportunities in Europe but you need to get trained to move up the ladder.

6. Develop a habit of saving. Make sure you have a savings account where you will put aside some money on a weekly or monthly basis. Be disciplined with your savings account and don't touch the cash in it except for emergencies.

7. Lastly, Make God the Pillar of your Life. You need God to survive outside Nigeria smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley.

24 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 02, 2012
ebamma: and to let u know, even in new york and paris there are homeless people and beggars.
but the beggars there, are better than d beggars in Nigeria....lol#small fact o
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 02, 2012
e no make sense say this post even come up cause it only takes one to leave Naija to truly know that the country itself is a hell hole. I had to come to an third world country like Nigeria to see an electric train for the first time; that is education. Interelating with other races is a new game completely and no one can offer you that cause here you will see them in their true nature, not what they present to us in Nigeria. My guy if you have the chance to leave Nigeria, you might not be rich or make it big, but what you will be opened to will surpass your understanding. If you are wise and desire for a better life in the future, no matter how hard things turns out for you, do your best to avoid the wrong minded people, surround yourself with positivity and hope and surely you will overcome. That i can say for now, cause it takes a trip of this smallness to open your mind to the unthinkable.

Do you know you can earn possible positions in your country just because you are a citizen? Travel abroad and see how such positions are used against the foreigners and when you get home, build your empowerment around these values. God bless you all, God bless Naijha

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by victorazy(m): 10:13am On Jun 02, 2012
The most important; Don't promise any babe marriage before leaving Nig.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Journey To The UK / Ozuma Bridge In Okene Collapses A Week After Yahaya Bello Constructed It (photo) / Lagos At Night..captivating pictures of a city on the rise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.