Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,457 members, 7,770,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:11 AM

Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know (60791 Views)

We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Traveling To Nigeria: Things To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 8:19pm On Jun 06, 2012
19) THANKS
Just thought to say thanks to those who have read my posts, those who have made comments on it, and to Seun and his NL team who continues to provide the platform for such 2 way interrractions.

5 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 9:15pm On Jun 06, 2012
20) STREAMLINING YOUR CV: Have you ever gone to one of those high street recruitment companies, stared at the windows and handed in your CV only to be told that you ar over qualified?

Quite a number of Nigerian's in the Uk have multiple qualifications/certifications. We somethimes feel gutted when with our comparatively higher number of qualifications, we don't get hired. We therefore instantly suspect racism and/or system mediocricy. This might be true to some extent, but interestingly I have also seen qualified british and other EU oyibos in such situations at some point in time.

A way to approach this is to use only certifications that are relevant to the job role and its organisational level at a time. Lets say that you are going for a low level administrative position in a project environmet, you don't need to list your masters and phd qualifications. Simply list your bachelors degree (you might even ignore this in some cases), mention your ssce (call it GCSE equivalent), and add some of your cerifications that are relevant to a project environment. Your prince 2 certification or other PM certifications you have would come in usefull here. Tools that would be usefull in such envronment would be excel, MS projects, Visio, etc. If you have such skills and you have an MS certification. Also use you MS Certification in the education part of the CV, and in bracket list the skills. For example:

2009 PMP -Project Management Certification
2003 Microsoft Admin Certificate (Advanced training in Excel, MS Project, Visio within a project Environmet)
1999 BSC Engineering
1993 SSCE (GCSE euivalent, 5 C's 2 A's)

Don't be in a hurry to use your MSc yet. After getting into this project Administrators role and you are ready to take the next big step as a PM (maybe after 14 months) in ANOTHER company, using ANOTHER recruiter.

2011 MSC Engineering
2003 Microsoft Admin Certificate (Advanced training in Excel, MS Project, Visio within a project Environmet)
1999 BSC Engineering

Previous Job Title -Snr Project Adminstrator

Now, did you notice the difference.

Offcourse, like I've always said, for you to remain in the new PM's role, you'll have to be able to handle it. Its not about 'Faithing it', you just have to be able to handle it, whatever it takes. This is where the challenge lies, and you need all the wisdom and knowledge at your disposal.

My next post would be some suggestions on how you can gain some experience that would be usefull for your next job level. An analogy will suffice here. Imagine you've read all your life about driving a car and have never driven one, you've finally got a job as a driver with your boss assuming that you've been driving for years. He hops into the car with you, smiles and says "now please drive".

See you soon

3 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by hustla242: 11:42pm On Jun 06, 2012
esere826: 20) STREAMLINING YOUR CV: Have you ever gone to one of those high street recruitment companies, stared at the windows and handed in your CV only to be told that you ar over qualified?

Quite a number of Nigerian's in the Uk have multiple qualifications/certifications. We somethimes feel gutted when with our comparatively higher number of qualifications, we don't get hired. We therefore instantly suspect racism and/or system mediocricy. This might be true to some extent, but interestingly I have also seen qualified british and other EU oyibos in such situations at some point in time.

A way to approach this is to use only certifications that are relevant to the job role and its organisational level at a time. Lets say that you are going for a low level administrative position in a project environmet, you don't need to list your masters and phd qualifications. Simply list your bachelors degree (you might even ignore this in some cases), mention your ssce (call it GCSE equivalent), and add some of your cerifications that are relevant to a project environment. Your prince 2 certification or other PM certifications you have would come in usefull here. Tools that would be usefull in such envronment would be excel, MS projects, Visio, etc. If you have such skills and you have an MS certification. Also use you MS Certification in the education part of the CV, and in bracket list the skills. For example:

1999 BSC Engineering

Don't be in a hurry to use your MSc yet. After getting into this project Administrators role and you are ready to take the next big step as a PM (maybe after 14 months) in ANOTHER company, using ANOTHER recruiter.

2011 MSC Engineering
1999 BSC Engineering

Previous Job Title -Snr Project Adminstrator

Now, did you notice the difference.

Offcourse, like I've always said, for you to remain in the new PM's role, you'll have to be able to handle it. Its not about 'Faithing it', you just have to be able to handle it, whatever it takes. This is where the challenge lies, and you need all the wisdom and knowledge at your disposal.

My next post would be some suggestions on how you can gain some experience that would be usefull for your next job level. An analogy will suffice here. Imagine you've read all your life about driving a car and have never driven one, you've finally got a job as a driver with your boss assuming that you've been driving for years. He hops into the car with you, smiles and says "now please drive".

See you soon

Your style of writing is quite impressive, keep it up. Out of curiosity, in what field did you ply your trade as a recruitment consultant?
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 4:15am On Jun 09, 2012
playboy19:

It's funny how not so many people have noticed your write up.. but i have and i say Bravo! Keep the update coming. Though i'm not a newbie in travelling, yet i find it helpful. Thanks bro

Thanks for noticing. Interestingly, you would find such a correlationship with Nigerians in the UK employment sector -many nigerians at the lower rungs of employment (or none employment) such as many studying in universities, many working as security,and many in the catering sector. As you go up in the caliber of paid employment, the numbers thin out pretty fast. At such levels, you could look around you in an open plan office full of 100's of people and see many oyibo faces, few black faces, and not notice any nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 4:26am On Jun 09, 2012
hustla242:

Your style of writing is quite impressive, keep it up. Out of curiosity, in what field did you ply your trade as a recruitment consultant?

Thanks for the thumbs-up. I'm not neccesarily a recruitment consultant, more of a management consultant. However,I have used my resourcing hat in both non-profesional hires(cleaners, porters, drivers, industrial workers, cooks, carers etc) and in professional hires (analysts, H&S consultants, administrators, Finance, PM's, PA's, HR consultants etc)
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 5:01am On Jun 09, 2012
21) GAINING THAT MUCH NEEDED EXPERIENCE:

First, let me set the context for what we will be talking about. Many times, with your (top percentile) 2.1 and above undergraduate degree you are considered as being 'trainable'. So, those international companies recruiting graduate trainees could pick you for an IT job even if your degree was in english. They provide you with a safe environment to learn on the job without your having to look over your shoulders. They put you in various departments, various roles and in client-facing positions, you soon become a pro.

The same self-fulfilling prophesy works in the lower percentile. You are mostly considered as non-trainable and therefore not given any learning opportunities (or few learning opportunities), no one wants to trust you with their multimillion pound software or clients, you might not be intelligent enough to handle it(this is quite upsetting to many of us, especially when we see it in their eyes or glean it from their comments). Yu're a risk that they are not willing to take. Consequently with your little or shallow experience you soon fizzle out to the bottom parts of the organisational value chain. Then off course the complaints start pouring in “there are no jobs in the UK” (true to some extent as is around the world), “there is no need to have gained any qualifications”………etc

Of course other environmental factors can play a part in distorting or affirming such causal events, and will still play a major part in the lifespan of your career. Things like competition from other applicants, race, gender, job availability etc.

I now proceed to suggest some ways that you can gain some experience and will expand on them later.

1 From your UK office
2 From the second group of friends that I talked about in an earlier post
3 From Nigeria or some other country (depending on the skill set required)

But how will this be achieved? The next post will show you how, it would also draw attention to the challenges you will face trying to accomplish what seems to be an easy task at face value

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 12:31pm On Jun 10, 2012
:oNo other person dey contribute for this thread anymore?
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by pato405(m): 1:22pm On Jun 10, 2012
that cube63 or whatever he calls himself is just sooo D-A-F-T!! his brain mass is less than a dice cube indeed.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Emysandy: 3:16pm On Jun 10, 2012
esere826: :oNo other person dey contribute for this thread anymore?

Thanks for the article... o . I dey try learn how to write proper english cause the big big grammer where l dey read here na WAEC. I dey vex as l dey read this everyday, at least when l finish for here dat prof go dash me 2:1 by force cause l go quote most of the english words here for his exam. And run out to Harvard, next you go here of me na Guiness book of record where l go quote you as my Mentor.. ... Keep writing cause l dey read for that Chevron job for UK, white people go believe me die when l show for interview.TANK Ebsere826 ( from emysand, ur student)

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by eduson33(m): 11:37am On Jun 11, 2012
[b][/b]thank you all for your contributions so far.am really excited...no youth will like to spend his entire life in our country due to the situation of things but i want us to keep one thing at the back of our mind where ever you are""ALWAYS REMEMBER HOME"WE ARE THE ONE TO MAKE IT BETTER.HE WHO RUNS AWAY FROM HIS PROBLEMS OR CHALLENGES COMES BACK TO MEET IT WORST THAN EVER,so lets joins hands and build our great nation to a great level..Bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 10:04pm On Jun 11, 2012
@Emysandy

Not to worry, you'll pull through somehow. Just keep at it

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 11:10pm On Jun 11, 2012
22 a) GAINING EXPERIENCE IN YOUR UK OFFICE

No matter what part of the resourcing/employment pipeline that you are in, there might be oppurtunities for you to gain some experience that will take you to the next level. For example if you are presently working in retail, you would do well to strengthen your communication skill as you interact with your customers, peers and managers.

Motivational books on career progression usually advise ambitious employees that they should volunteer for tasks. This has the advantages of bringing your zeal to learn to the attention of management and increase your learning curve. Unfortunately, from my experience, these books were not written with Nigerians working in the UK in mind. You might soon notice that your managers and even colleagues are not keen to gave you such opportunities. Infact, you might be shocked to discover that such learning experiences are hidden from you.

You'll have to work around this by playing with the IT tools available in your office desk top. Especially tools that are neccessary in the bigger job role that you are aiming for (IT/tools are very important and later, I hope to share with you why they are). In order to do this you need to be very creative (this is another topic which I will share with you in the next post). '22b' is an example of how a young man, Emeka was able to acheive this.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by lifestyle1(m): 12:34am On Jun 12, 2012
WOW, I just read everything, i love the way you arranged you post in sequence, it was easier to read and comprehend but i almost gave up @ the last writeup- too bulky for me. undecided

Anyway, thank you for your contribution.

Bye.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Emysandy: 7:16am On Jun 12, 2012
That is the fun of being a creative writer. He is a Nigerian with great educating info, trying to insert the fun to his write up by using pigin English, if you don't understand take time to read again and you will decode the game. I mean if you are a writer and you desire to pass an important info to a friend and out smart the person you are talking about or refering to what will you do?. It is just a plan concept Emeka (in esere's post) choose to read the same concept in a different way and achieve a great statue. What l'm trying to say is don't stick to write up with good English and structure grammar on this thread but go for the info the writer may use a simple english or pigin but include a great message in his/her post. Keep reading, its fun to learning new stuff.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 10:40am On Jun 12, 2012
life_style: WOW, I just read everything, i love the way you arranged you post in sequence, it was easier to read and comprehend but i almost gave up @ the last writeup- too bulky for me. undecided

Anyway, thank you for your contribution.

Bye.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can break post 22 into 2 sections
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 10:47am On Jun 12, 2012
22b)EMEKA LEARNS TO PLAY

Emeka, had been working for 6 months as an administrator in a UK company. He started the job with so much joy dreaming of how he would rise in the company as his ogas recognised the value he would bring to the company.

By the 6th month as other oyibo's came into the company and he was gradually relegated to a big time boy boy position he realised that all the ambitions he had in the company and for the UK were fast becoming what it was, --a dream. He had to do something fast. he hadn't come all the way from 9ja here to be a pushover.

He had been applying for jobs using the internet, but out of a hundred applications that he made he had only recieved three responses that soon fizzled out after the telephone interviews. He soon began to develop a strategy as he searched on recruitment websites such as Hays, Brook street, and a host of others.

For the kind of job that he wanted, he realised that all the specifations mentioned medium to high excel skills. He didnt know what excel was, but he asked around and got some vague replies. These replies were however good enough to get him started. He discovered that excel was sitting all along on his desktop computer and home laptop. He began to practice excel, and read books on it. By the 7th month, his CV carried the excel skills. Reponses to his CV had increased to 1 in 12 -big improvement. He knew he was now heading somewhere. Then AHA! it hit him: "What's in the CV of those that have got similar jobs to the one he wanted?"

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 10:58am On Jun 12, 2012
22c)EMEKA LEARNS TO PLAY

Emeka com they use style dey ask those kine people for their CV. He com even realise say using im intranet, im fit check people cv when get dat kine wok for im office. Na im he say CHINEKE!!! I dey mumu since ooooo. Wen the people dey yan for their cv, dem dey tok of wetin dem use excel take do, no be say dem sabi am. Na im e change strategy. Emeka begin to look, ..em, em.. dis one tok say him create balance scorecard wen dey wok well well for im former office. Na im Emeka open im system do search for balance score card. Na im see wetin another person do for im office. Straight away, Emeka come dey practice how to do am with excel. As im sabi the thing, im put am for im Cv. Na so Emekus do am:

search better person CV > search im office system > practice wetin dey there> learn am wel wel > put am for im cv.

Emekus com commot admin boy boy from im cv come put strategy admin. O boy, come see as recruiters they telephone Mekus. Mekus turn to big boy o. The 8 months wen he wok for the company im oyibo don strong wel wel as im dey answer them. Na im dem dey ask am how much im dey receieve. At first im dey f*k up dey tell dem say na 6.50 per hr (wen he was applying for 15-20 pound/hr job) . Im com dey notice say anyone wen im tell like dat no dey call am back. Na im he jack im rate. Wen dey ask am e go say na 18 /hr dem dey pay am now. Dey come dey toast am, dey tell am how de job dey provide free cofee, plus mami water view, plus say "its good to have in your CV"

Na so my guy take escape world people o. HE WHO AS EARS LET HIM HEAR

I will plunge into some psycho/economical/sociological challenges that folks in Emeka's shoe face, and that some of you might face when trying to make such a drastic switch.

Stay tuned

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by osram(m): 9:38am On Jun 13, 2012
Mrkuvuki: (Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know.....Get a Dormiciliary account with GTB(or any other Good Bank)
..get an email alert for ur account...THAT'S ALL!!
plz tel me how i can b putin money in my domicilary accnt am in turkmenistan.tnx
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by lifestyle1(m): 9:45am On Jun 13, 2012
osram: plz tel me how i can b putin money in my domicilary accnt am in turkmenistan.tnx

Next time you visit Nigeria go to any Branch of GTBank and open a domiciliary account...
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by lifestyle1(m): 9:46am On Jun 13, 2012
esere826:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can break post 22 into 2 sections

Thank you Sir..
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 9:59am On Jun 13, 2012
22d) TOKPE AND HER LEAP OF 'FAITH?'.:

Seeping some nice warm cappuccino with Tokpe my close friend in a Costa shop close to my house we reviewed some of her recent life experiences together. She needed some advice badly. I had learn't the hard way that when ladies come to me with issues, I'm not really expected to solve them.Just talk around the issues and let them think through it themselves as we gist along.

She had had a similar kind of experience and strategies that Emeka had, and with our advice had got to the point where she was to make a descision about actually accepting one of the job offers presently dangled at her. But making the move was not easy, and that is why she was sitting accross the table having this conversation with me.

Tokpe was a single 29 year old, with a masters degree in Management from the UK. The pressure from her familly for her to settle down was excruciating, and she personally had also got to that panicky point. She had a 37 year old boyfriend in Nigeria who was quite comfortable and that she had been dating for 6 years (4 years in Nigeria + 2years of her UK sujourn). He was equally from a very comfortable familly, and his mum liked her. Just before she left to come over to the UK, her boyfriend and made known his intention of wanting to marry her, and he looked serious about it (without neccesarily proposing in the romantic way).

She liked him, she really did but had been a little bit worried about him and his dreams for the future with her. In fact, from her assessment he was a local champion, not given to the finese of life, just how to make money. He had not in anyway giving her a clear or even vague picture of it. She attended one of the new generation Nigerian churches with branches all over the world. They had hammered it into her head from her teenage years on the importance of thinking globally and choosing the right partner.

She was not from a comfortable family (this is putting it mildly) but she was a goal getter. Some 8 months after getting to the UK, she heard rumours that her boyfriend was flirting seriously with many chiks. She was mad and confronted him with the allegations, but he denied it flatly. She knew he was lieing and had tought of breaking up with him. Her friends cautioned her against it showing her the positives of the situation: He wasn't with only one girl, this meant there were no real threats to her position; she was in the UK, so what did she expect him to do?; He flatly denied the allegation, this means he still respected her very much.

While she was having these issues she succumbed to Dayo's advances. Dayo a 9ja boy had been chasing her since her day one in the UK ....

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by osram(m): 10:13am On Jun 13, 2012
esere826: 14) Back to 13) which is the issue of UK/Nigerian qualifications: My experience shows that all Nigerian Universities and mony others in Africa and beyond are taken as the same within the UK working world. So, they do not value your MAU or Covenant University certificate more than someone else's that finished from what some might call a local university in Nigeria. Now, don't get overly excited yet. Interesting it seems that they do not also value many of their own UK certificates more than yours. It's all considered to be flat, -yours and theirs, except you attended on of the top global universities.

Remember I had said that the UK system is elitist in nature. Your degrees start getting exciting to them if it it is from various countries, and is different from what they would usually see. So, lets as a Nigerian, you schooled in France, Canada and the US (even in their cheapest schools). The recruiters would almost immediately consider you as 'gold dust'. These things are quite complicated and not so straight forward.

Now, with your Nigeria and British normal certificates, what would set you apart is the grades and courses you acheived when in the University. 2.1's and 1sts are winners any day. These two kind of degrees will push you far in your acceptance into red brick universities and graduate careers.

So lets say a young man named Emeka attended University of Eba in Nigeria and made a 2.1 or 1st class in Bio-Chemistry. He went on to do an MBA in a lowly rated but (scholarship funded) university in the UK, and came out with a 2.1 minimum. For the ext two years after graduation, Emeka would have the oppurtunity to apply to top global companies around the world with a presence in the UK. He would be called for loads of interviews. The rest would be up to him.

If on the other hand, Suleiman attended the illustrous UNIfe in Nigeria and graduated with a 3rd class in Engineering. He studies in an averagely rated but expensive school in the UK and now graduates with a 2.1 MBA. He might have a tough time getting a graduate job. The reason is because many HR graduate hire computer systems are programmed to get rid of people that did not acheive a 2.1 or higher in their undergraduate degrees. I have tested this theory several times, and you can too. How do you do this? Simple. Create 2 cv's with different degree grades like I've mentioned and send them out to graduate recruiters. The content can even remain the same. You can go a step further while doing this excercise to send other CV's for examle in one, you could remove the country were you earlier worked, or change your name to something easy like Ben John. All these could give you a huge feel of how the system works.
kai wich kynd wahala b dz..bros,abeg,dan allah,ejor,biko e don du o..no b advice we want chop
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by osram(m): 10:25am On Jun 13, 2012
life_style:

Next time you visit Nigeria go to any Branch of GTBank and open a domiciliary account...
i already have..bt dnt knw how to put money in it from turkmenistan.tnx
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 10:28am On Jun 13, 2012
osram: kai wich kynd wahala b dz..bros,abeg,dan allah,ejor,biko e don du o..no b advice we want chop

My broda no vex o. I just think say many people, especially 9gerians go need this piece either now or sometime in the future. I searched painfully for such knowledge and info and never got it. 9ja folks I met for knowledge pushed me away most times, all I been dey hear was "na God do am" without any specifics.

Maybe these posts is my way of relieving my aching heart. Not to worry, I'm getting unburdened already and would soon be out. You go then get wetin you go chop for here. Just a little bit more and thanks for your patience so far..Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by osram(m): 11:24am On Jun 13, 2012
esere826:

My broda no vex o. I just think say many people, especially 9gerians go need this piece either now or sometime in the future. I searched painfully for such knowledge and info and never got it. 9ja folks I met for knowledge pushed me away most times, all I been dey hear was "na God do am" without any specifics.

Maybe these posts is my way of relieving my aching heart. Not to worry, I'm getting unburdened already and would soon be out. You go then get wetin you go chop for here. Just a little bit more and thanks for your patience so far..Cheers
lol my bros no b lyk dt o..i read sote d tin cme taya abeg no vex my oga u r duin a wondaful job
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 7:11pm On Jun 14, 2012
osram: lol my bros no b lyk dt o..i read sote d tin cme taya abeg no vex my oga u r duin a wondaful job

No worries. Thanks for appreciating. But make I no lie u, I be no know say creatively writing no easy oo. I think after this project I'll just stick to being a critique on NL forum and yabbing people's post its much easier and little brain work involved oooo.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 7:14pm On Jun 14, 2012
22e)STILL ON TOKPE

Although she had enjoyed some nice smooch with him, they had not KNOWN each other grin. Least I get carried away, the issue she was now facing was one of security. With her present job paying 7GBP/hr,it was a comfort zone for her. She was sure that the company would keep her for as long as it was technically possible. The valid fear she had was starting another job and getting kicked out from the new job (e dey happen wel, well o). How would she cope? She and I got down to doing the maths together (I bet that a lot of 9ja folks in UK would be able to relate to this):

Average monthly earning = 850Pounds
Average Monthy rent = 360
Average Mnthly Transport = 100 (if she use tube or train always, na die be dat)
Average Mnthly Feeding = 90 (some people 4 NL forum dey use 100pounds per week)
Other Mnthly Expenses = 150
Church tithe & Offering =
"I be girl" expenses = 100

In effect at the end of each month, she was left with nothing.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 8:29pm On Jun 14, 2012
22f) TOKPE LEARNS HOW TO TAKE CALCULATED RISKS

I brought out my laptop, opened my excel, and drew her chair close to mine. We started the analysis:

One of the self-employed contract she was being offered was willing to pay her 250 pound/day for a 4 week contract = 1000/week and 4500/month
Now, the least duration that the contract could be terminated is 2 weeks which is = 2000pounds
ie, in the worst case scenario of 2 weeks she gets wages that is equivalent to 2+ months wages of the company she was presently in.
If she completed the contract, she gets about 5+months of wages for the time of one month in her present company.

This meant that after the contract, she could afford to be without a job for 4 months if she stuck to her former spending pattern (I no advice am on whether to increase, decrease or maintain he tithes, offering plus first fruit offering oo)

Her Exit strategies could be any, or a combination of these (abeg no judge me, i was only a facilitator in her thinking process):

1, If after the first month, she neva get job, she could move in with Dayo -he had been pestering her that she moves in with him.
2. She could also buy her flight ticket cheaply in advance and try to hold on for as long as possible, failing to get another job, she could go back to her boyfriend in 9ja.
3. Her manager in her present job liked her. She could ask for a 2week break, and if she wasn't fired during the first 2 weeks from her new job, she could feign she was ill and buy more time. This would enable her to come back to her present office after the 4weeks contract.

The rest as they say is now history. She went for the new job, and got new contracts after that. She didn't have to use strategies i & 2. From about 40 pounds per day, she went to reciving 250pounds per day and is now on contracts of about 180 pounds per day

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 8:38pm On Jun 14, 2012
22g)The story on Tokpe that I just narrated is actually not so smooth. There are lots of stuff in between, like reference checks, tax issues etc.But I'm constrained for time and space. Just do you research on such issues. ...cheers
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Omolewu(m): 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2012
manny4life:

That's somewhat incorrect, it's recognized but it has to be evaluated. It might not be credit for credit, but it's something. Though I'm not familiar with Nigerian education system, however, most people have gotten their transcripts reevaluated here to meet transcript standard like the one here. The problem with people when they get here is not about the education part, but getting a job without papers. Without papers, you have to depend on your skills or you have to get the under-the-table jobs which isn't fun.

one of my friend travelled to dubai u a e early this year and he told me to send my scanned passport and $1000 to do visa and work permit for me.pls aadvise me for i dont want to go astrsy.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by overloved(m): 12:45am On Jun 15, 2012
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by overloved(m): 12:52am On Jun 15, 2012
manny4life:

lol...I know right, it's their type that I see that WILL NEVER learn because they keep speaking recycled thrash and call it accent. When I see some Africans in DC forcing themselves to speak, that sh/it irritates the fu/ck outta me, I'm like literally, DUDE, quit it, like seriously, knock it off.

even person wey go for 3 months visiting to uk go come back dey form accent. na that one de vex me pass. even celebrity sef like p-square de form accent for interview, and i was like WTF nigga, why must you copy the oyinbos? be natural

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ozuma Bridge In Okene Collapses A Week After Yahaya Bello Constructed It (photo) / Lagos At Night..captivating pictures of a city on the rise. / Man Cries Out As He Spots Anthony Truck With The Container On It About To Fall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.