Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,238 members, 7,839,261 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (27968 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 5:27am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J:

You and coogar kept on repeating this. Who is FG? Who gave FG his powers? The People!

For God sake this is democracy, the government of the people by the people for the people. I say again, only an insensitive and senseless government officials do things under democracy without carrying the people concerned along.

I wonder if the people can read official secrets because they gave the FG power?
Democracy is not anarchy, we have the right to vote in govts every four years, we also have some rights under the law; but it has never beeb, nor will it ever be a free for all.

Government in any country is an incredibly powerful institution. While it must remain accountable to the people, there are also things it keeps from the people for their own good (eg it is not our right to know how many bullets are in govts possession, what Aso Rock looks like etc).
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by penjoy: 5:28am On May 31, 2012
all i can say is that GEJ is not the man he suf quit..cos na fool b d man
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by OAM4J: 5:32am On May 31, 2012
papatosibe:

Hows GEJ's move autocratic? He only changed their name. Whats autocratic about that?

He does not have the power to do that. Now if he did that, that would be autocratic.

I hope you now see the difference?

I'd like to believe that you didnt make this careless post while stoned out of your mind from Toluene inhalation. Now. could you please provide a link to the result of the carefully analysed public poll you conducted showing how unpopular GEJ is in the SW. Because I actually like the dude wella. . .

obviously it flew past you cos you were in a hurry to attack me and you failed to notice where I derived the analysis from, even though i mentioned it in the same line you quoted. Now, read again and check the bold and read the post I was referring to also. Good night!

At least one thing becomes clear from your comment, he is not loved and respected from that region and the move was only an attempt to spite the people of that region. I say to him 'well done!

Beaf:

Politics in that area is governed by rudeness and ceaseless attempts to ridicule the office of the President. Consultation would have been a useless exercise.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by papatosibe: 5:33am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J:

You and coogar kept on repeating this. Who is FG? Who gave FG his powers? The People!

Actually the power belongs to the FG. Yeah, the idea that power belongs to the people . . . thats just a slogan to keep people like you forever enslaved.

For God sake this is democracy, the government of the people by the people for the people.

Why do you like bumper stickers so much?

I say again, [b]only an insensitive and senseless government officials do things under democracy without carrying the people concerned along.
What are we talking about here? The American govt invading Iraq without carrying Americans along? or The Greek govt introducing austerity when majority of Greeks clearly want stimulus? Or is it the imposition of Bush by the 9 wise men on Americans when they voted for Gore.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Samsonferan: 5:40am On May 31, 2012
Hm! Ds life. I cnt believe ds is coming out of Wole Soyinka who is a die hard fans of M. K. O
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 5:42am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J:

obviously it flew past you cos you were in a hurry to attack me and you failed to notice where I derived the analysis from, even though i mentioned it in the same line you quoted. Now, read again and check the bold and read the post I was referring to also. Good night!

I'm sure you realised I was talking about ACN (as the political party in power), but were just being mischievous. Afterall, both PDP and LP have a civilised approach to the President.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 5:45am On May 31, 2012
Wole Soyinka suggested that somebody would need to explain the rotten stance they have taken to the shocked Abiola family. I wonder what that person would tell the family or who would be so foolhardy?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Pain(m): 5:46am On May 31, 2012
With all these noise about Abiola's philanthropy and the Fed's right to rename any federal school, can anyone throw more light on the following quetions?

1. What was the source of Abiola's wealth?
2. What is the place of due process and rule of law in a democracy?
3. How is the Fed Gov funding UNILAG? By Tax Payers Money, Commonwealth or Private Funds?
4. Are we still under Dictatorship Rule or Pseudo Dictatorship?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 5:51am On May 31, 2012
The only criticism that is truly solid is that of rule of law which GEJ did not follow in renaming the institution, otherwise either political or apolitical motives were used become irrelevant. Unfortunately, He did the right thing in a wrong way, but for even doing it at all, commendation all the way. Good one. GEJ can forward whatever bill to NASS to ratify it or technically pass the buck to them.

That consultation is important in democracy is self explanatory. GEJ should learn from this and move on. Meanwhile MAULAG or Macaroni as some people choose to call it is just fine. We ll get used to it. Even there were pockets of protests and violence when University of Ife was named after Awolowo whose political wizardry was unquestionable. The stuff is called emotion. We all feel it, we all show it and I will probably not be happy if UI is named after my good self not to talk of someone else. But a great man deserves a great honor, and MKO deserves it all. We are still imploring GEJ to finish his good work by recognizing June 12 as the official democracy day. He does not need to amend any law to achieve that.

For all who are saying GEJ should pronounce him a former president, that to me, seems pedestrian. GEJ did not honour MKO for his generosity and philanthropy. He honored him for making the ultimate sacrifice for democracry and that to me was acknowledging that MKO not only won but died fighting to reclaim his mandate and in the process forced military to plan a fire brigade transition to democracy.

GEJ, I will still go to other thread and call you names because you are obviously corrupt, but on this one good move you have made, I SAY YOU ARE THE BEST!!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 5:51am On May 31, 2012
Pain: With all these noise about Abiola's philanthropy and the Fed's right to rename any federal school, can anyone throw more light on the following quetions?

3. How is the Fed Gov funding UNILAG? By Tax Payers Money, Commonwealth or Private Funds?
[size=18pt]4. Are we still under Dictatorship Rule or Pseudo Dictatorship?
[/size]

Great question.

I doubt this question will be answered. Expect an array of finger-pointing at ACN, Aregbesola etc etc.

[img]http://intelbook.files./2011/05/democracy2.gif[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by papatosibe: 5:53am On May 31, 2012
Pain: With all these noise about Abiola's philanthropy and the Fed's right to rename any federal school, can anyone throw more light on the following quetions?

of what relevance is this to the matter at hand?

What law did GEJ break? Lets start from there.

3. How is the Fed Gov funding UNILAG? By Tax Payers Money,

How many people pay tax in Nigeria?

Commonwealth

Whose commonwealth? The one God put there or the one your papa put there for your future use?

or Private Funds?

That is not a bad way to look at it . . . After all, GEJ is a venture capitalist by nature. And you know what venture capitalist do, they rename schools. Its their money, the can do and undo with it. Imagine me telling you not to spend your money on that ashi you've been eyeing for the past 5 yrs, how would you feel?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 5:56am On May 31, 2012
^
Lol! I didn't see your nearly identical post!

Pain:

Your definition of due process is purely sentimental. Govt created and govt renamed; that is due process.

Pain:

When did anything ever get funded with taxpayers money in Nigeria? How many pay tax anyway?
The funding is from oil.

Pain:
4. Are we still under Dictatorship Rule or Pseudo Dictatorship?

Ridiculous. I have never heard of dictatorships being voted in.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Samsonferan: 5:56am On May 31, 2012
Pls can sm1 confuse me ds is nt coming out from Wole Soyinka. Ah ayemale o
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Pain(m): 5:59am On May 31, 2012
My Only Joy is that No Blood was shed on Democracy Day. Have you noticed that GEJ is fond of overheating the Polity to draw blood on Symbolic Days? Jan 1st, Oct 1st etc? I wonder how he will appease the entities that put him to power since he was unable to draw "fresh blood" from students? I'm so sorry for him because he would have to sacrifice a member of his household now...Doubter..watch-out and see shocked

Olumba-Olumba..Patience was an Usher there!!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Samsonferan: 6:00am On May 31, 2012
Ah Wole Soyinka. Ayemale o
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 6:04am On May 31, 2012
bayooooooo:
But a great man deserves a great honor, and MKO deserves it all. We are still imploring GEJ to finish his good work by recognizing June 12 as the official democracy day. He does not need to amend any law to achieve that.

Well said bayooooooo.

This is a really great suggestion that seems to have been lost in the general argument. I too fully support it and hope that GEJ does not end the recognition of MKO with renaming. We will want June 12 carved in the hardest rock as a national day.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Pain(m): 6:05am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:
When did anything ever get funded with taxpayers money in Nigeria? How many pay tax anyway?
The funding is from oil.

Is Oil not a Commonwealth?
Beaf:
Ridiculous. I have never heard of dictatorships being voted in.

So you have never heard of elected leaders in Africa meta-morphing into Dictators. Okay, I guess you live in Iceland. The Land of Raw Beaf Eaters
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 6:09am On May 31, 2012
fullstop
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by lightheart(m): 6:11am On May 31, 2012
[quote author=coogar]

why not? my house, my property....
i decide solely whatever goes on there. if any
tenant disagrees, he can pack out n leave space for
sensible tenants.

*in 2baba's voice* o boi ehhh!!! 9ja get big problem oo!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 6:13am On May 31, 2012
Pain:

So you have never heard of elected leaders in Africa meta-morphing into Dictators. Okay, I guess you live in Iceland. The Land of Raw Beaf Eaters

Like who?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by niyitogun(m): 6:13am On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1: I strongly disagree with Wole Soyinka on this.

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not consulted. The university and its senate and governing council do not fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let alone a prestigious one like Unilag.

The storm in a tea cup is another example of middle class Nigerians, particularly yoruba ones (the most snobbish and self regarding version and yes i am a Yoruba) refusing to be associated with a person largely revered by the poorer classes. The same happened when Uiversity of Ife was renamed in 1987 in honour of Obafemi Awolowo, when a few hundred students largely of middle class origin demonstrated their objection, while the poor people in the town, carpentars, shoe makers, tailors and others who benefited from awo's reforms celebrated.

This is all about a few priviledged and educated yoruba people wanting to retain what they see as an eleitis label placing them apart from the majority of the population whom they secretly despise. If the school had been named after Barack Obama would they be protesting, even if it was done without consultation - Of course they wouldn't - they'll probably be fantasising about getting an easy visa ride in the American embassy.

Wole Soyinka is a radical and progressive Nigerian but his elitism is a well known flaw which is why he has never inspite of his undoubted courage been able to buod a mass following for his ideas.

Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers. Most ordiany Nigerians respect the sacrifices people like abiola made - they, not the spolit middle class kids kicking up a fuss in Unilag are the majority. The noisy minority in Unilag should be ignored. they will son go back to their Ipads

If they don't like the name when they receive their degrees let them rip them up. They don't own the school, the people do -i've not seen any demonstrations in mushin, shomolu, bere or sabongari against it.

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great man, but on this occasion he is wrong

Your last 3 paragraphs makes you sound like GEJ - "another dictator" and that's what civilized people are kicking against. It's a democracy man, if GEJ simply met with the university council prior to this it would have helped.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Pain(m): 6:15am On May 31, 2012
papatosibe:

Not relevant because it hits deep into your conscience?

papatosibe:

Please ask the FIRS

papatosibe:
Whose commonwealth? The one God put there or the one your papa put there for your future use?
See how they reveal the depth of their intellect?

papatosibe:
That is not a bad way to look at it . . . After all, GEJ is a venture capitalist by nature. And you know what venture capitalist do, they rename schools. Its their money, the can do and undo with it. Imagine me telling you not to spend your money on that ashi you've been eyeing for the past 5 yrs, how would you feel?

Some rants indeed reveal the innermost recesses of the poster's heart. We indeed have a lot of pseudo-intellectuals now in NL. Pretenders substituting brauns for brains? I'm indeed filled with nostalgia of it's pristine past when we had quality men like Davidlyan et al. SMH
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by niyitogun(m): 6:17am On May 31, 2012
[quote author=lightheart][/quote]

There's a flaw in your example, in this case it's not Gej's house but a house belonging to the entire nation, built and funded by the entire nations taxes including even the officials of the same university...it's just common logic.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Mayflowa(m): 6:22am On May 31, 2012
PhysicsQED: "Let us not compound the aberrations of the past with provocations in an era that should propel us towards a belated new Age of Enlightenment."

I like this sentence.

That sentence cannot be fully analysed in a month or 10. It is a PhD topic on its own. That guy has got stuff! God!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 6:28am On May 31, 2012
niyitogun:

There's a flaw in your example, in this case it's not Gej's house but a house belonging to the entire nation, built and funded by the entire nations taxes including even the officials of the same university...it's just common logic.

What your taxes pay for (if Nigerians pay taxes, that is) has zero bearing on the authority and power of govt. For example, do you think an argument about taxes can determine whether GEJ calls out tanks to defend against a Camerounian incursion or orders Nigerian troops into Chad to go after a boko haram operative?

There are limits to our say, regardless of our "taxes" (which we do not pay, by the way).
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Brace1125(m): 6:31am On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks: In my opinion, any greatness that could be attributed to MKO Abiola was completely nullified by the level of theft and the disgraceful handling of the ITT contract which was supposed to rebuild Nigeria's telecommunication system. Abiola and ITT ripped us off of billions of dollars without building a single circuit to improve P&T, the old Nigerian communication agency. This, by the way was when the naira was pretty strong.

People like IBB, MKO, OBJ, and others need not be worshiped. IBB and OBJ belong in prison, period. These people and their likes do not deserve to be our heroes, we have quite a few Nigerians who qualify to be real heroes and who have unblemished characters.

I'm surprised that some of the posters from the SW do not find MKO's theft deplorable. Folks need to do a bit of research and discover that billions were spent with absolutely nothing to show for it. SMH
damn !...u'r d first tribalistic dude i'v eva met on nairaland, see hw u dey tear a man's gud image ''typical omo ale ni e''..evn if d man thief moni 4 naija, who doesnt ?.. u shud ask around 4 dos heroic tins he did, they'v already overshadowd anyfin bad...if dey lik mak dem name am MALU na dem knw, no be dia property., abi u want a beta name like OJUKWU university ?... Abeg moi attend to beta issue, When is their post UTME ?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 6:39am On May 31, 2012
papatosibe:

What law did GEJ break? Lets start from there.

You are yet to answer the fourth question
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Demdem(m): 6:39am On May 31, 2012
Am with Soyinka on this. Well said.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 6:49am On May 31, 2012
PhysicsQED: "Let us not compound the aberrations of the past with provocations in an era that should propel us towards a belated new Age of Enlightenment."

I like this sentence.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:51am On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1: I strongly disagree with Wole Soyinka on this.

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not consulted. [size=28pt]The university and its senate and governing council do not fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let alone a prestigious one like Unilag.[/size]

Really? wow.

look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are actually rationalizing this through and through.
so simply because the federal govt UNDERFUNDS the school, it can do whatsoever it likes with it? without recourse to due process?

IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITH DOING THINGS THE PROPER WAY IN THIS COUNTRY?

Are you aware that there is a procedure for renaming a federal school which is a creation of statute?

Are you aware that decorum, common sense and due process entails that this decision ought not to be "A GENEROUS ACT OF BENEVOLENCE" from our "supreme leader"?

at times like this one begins to understand why some irrational people posit that nigerians are still supposed to be ruled by autocratic regimes. so simply because ebele has the ability to announce the renaming of the school, he ought to wield that power irreverently?

what is wrong with doing things in the way they ought to be done and not simply by fiat? BTW, as long as the Act of Parliament that created Unilag and named it UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS is not amended, Mr GEJ has spoken into thin air.

other than the amendment of the Act, the normal way it is done where common sense is not scarce at the top is that the school is informed beforehand, and the school debates and approves of the change or says no, and tell the Govt why they say no. Either way that singular step would have prevented this hullabaloo!!! if the school approved, the students would have known beforehand and would definitely not have massed together for a mob action impromptu even if they did'nt like it.

By the way im yet to hear anyone posit that when other schools were renamed in this country, this procedure was not followed!

Then again how do you expect artisans, traders, and even educated people to protest the naming of a school they have nothing to do with? perhaps you need to ask people who attended or are attending or have anything whatsoever to do with unilag if this renaming is approved. INCIDENTALLY, THE SAME PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALWAYS BEEN CLAMOURING FOR DEMOCRACY, ABIOLA'S RECOGNITION AND IMMORTALIZATION HAVE REJECTED THIS FOOLISH BASELESS GESTURE.
\

it only goes to show that in the eyes of other sections of this country, Abiola remains a southwest hero. if not the honour would not be restricted to a school in the southwest. why not a national monument or a public holiday on june 12? For people like you as usual, the people's opinions don't count, after all as long as GEJ says its good, then they must accept it no?

what is even worse is this perception that it is irreversible. Nigeria has to be the only place where the leader is always embroiled in a battle of ego with the citizens.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Welcome Back Home - PDP Tells Saraki, Ahmed / Alaba Akintayo Kolawole Resigns As Osun Accountant General Over Paris Club Refun / Buhari Not Likely To Be Moved By NBA's Threat- The Cable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.